Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple - 19/6/2011 12:10:19 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I think you're right the wider implications are far more concerning. However, I can't see them actually going ahead with it. Apple may be many things but they're not stupid. People would just stop buying their products.

Speaking of which, I recently flirted briefly with the idea of moving over to Blackberry from iPhone when my contract is up next month. The only reason behind my Blackberry thoughts were to do with battery life; I'm struggling to get a full days use out of my iPhone. It's not like I use power heavy apps either, Twitter is my most commonly used app, alongside Mail and notes. There's a pretty great deal on the new Blackberry Playbook at the mo, which sees a Blackberry phone and the Playbook bundled together for the same price as my iPhone contract. Alas after much consultation with reviews and the like I've decided to stick with Apple. The Playbook looks really cool, but its not a patch on the iPad, and I'm not sure I could adjust to a Blackberry after using an iPhone for two years. I've not actually used a PC, in any capacity whatsoever, for 13 years, so think I'm stuck with Apple for life.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 181
RE: Apple - 20/6/2011 5:27:52 PM   
Rob

I know what you mean, it seems to me that everyday Stevie J and Co find new ways for me to give them money. I still have a PC but I'm saving for an iMac.

I'm clearly the biggest sucker out there because I won't buy content that's not on iTunes as I like having the ability to watch, read, and listen on Apple TV, iPad and iPhone.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 182
RE: Apple - 20/6/2011 6:16:36 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I know what you mean, it seems to me that everyday Stevie J and Co find new ways for me to give them money. I still have a PC but I'm saving for an iMac.

I'm clearly the biggest sucker out there because I won't buy content that's not on iTunes as I like having the ability to watch, read, and listen on Apple TV, iPad and iPhone.

I've only ever bought from iTunes too actually. It's more to do with the lack of alternatives to be honest tho, and ease of use. iTunes is just convenient.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 183
iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 22/6/2011 3:39:58 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Rumours abound the iPhone 5 is coming in September Clicky!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 184
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 22/6/2011 3:44:42 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Oooh, my contract's up in Oct!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 185
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 22/6/2011 3:49:37 PM   
Rinc

Nice. My contract is up in August but was planning on prolonging it until the iPhone 5 release.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 186
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 22/6/2011 3:55:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I don't think I like the idea of a 'teardrop' shape to the handest, let's hope that's a bit of duff info....

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 187
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 22/6/2011 4:28:12 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Yeah, when I read that my first thought was "how stupid would that look" and then decided to ignore it as rubbish   (hope it is rubbish.......)

Ah, someone has done a mockup of what it could possibly look like

Mock up

I was thinking it would be this shape

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 22/6/2011 4:31:36 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 188
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 23/6/2011 9:45:00 AM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Yeah, when I read that my first thought was "how stupid would that look" and then decided to ignore it as rubbish   (hope it is rubbish.......)

Ah, someone has done a mockup of what it could possibly look like

Mock up

That looks insane.

I have an ipod touch 4th gen and even thats thin enough. I have a skin on it because if I use it without, I feel like it will slip out of my hand its so lightweight. I mean, don't get me wrong, its beautiful, buts just so flimsy feeling. That looks even more so!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 189
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 23/6/2011 9:50:53 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Be a good doorstop though

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 190
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 23/6/2011 10:33:14 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

I must admit the same!

Post #: 191
RE: iPhone 5 Septemeber 2011? - 23/6/2011 11:07:08 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

I must admit the same!

Me three!

My contract is up next month but think I'll hold fire and see what September brings.

There are also strong rumours of the iPad 3 coming before Christmas as well. I've only just got my hands on an iPad 2 but that's the way it goes I guess.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 192
Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 3:13:47 AM   
Spaldron

Steve Jobs quits. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14659127

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 193
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 7:52:01 AM   
jonson

Just like Bill Gates, people seem to love him or hate him. I have no opinion either way, I'm no techie, but he's obviously a visionary, a bright, clever man who has created product(s) that people all over the world seem to want.
For that and that only it's a sad day for the corporation and you have to doff your cap for someone who has created a giant from nothing other than hard work and a good idea. We need more like him.
I hope his illness doesn't stop him enjoying his retirement, although I imagine someone like that couldn't possibly "retire" as we know it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 194
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 7:59:21 AM   
Rob

I suppose it was inevitable but for me, a relatively recent apple convert, it's a big shame. I suspect it's due to health problems and only hope that the extra time off can lead to a swift and full recovery.

Love him or loathe him he has truly created a phenomenon of a company.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 195
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 8:20:32 AM   
DancingClown

I have no interest in Apple's products but without Jobs there wouldn't be Pixar, so for that alone he is a genuine legend.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 196
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 8:52:57 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Definitely feels like the end of an era - Steve Jobs was a cult figure, in every sense of the word.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 197
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 8:55:38 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Aw bo**ocks. That's all I'm gonna hear about now for weeks on end. One of my best mates works for Apple and it's all he ever bangs on about. Snake-Eyes has NO time for their products. I've never owned an i-pod. SONY all the way baby!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 198
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 1:35:30 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Definitely feels like the end of an era - Steve Jobs was a cult figure, in every sense of the word.

Including, apparently (for a lot who worked with him) in the sense that "cult" is a typo. According to reports (and his unofficial biography), he's supposed to be an egomaniacal and very aggressive control freak, who treats his staff like crap.  Maybe that's the norm for a CEO of his ilk, I can't say.  But when an obituary was erroneously published in 08 that pointed out the fact that compared to Gates he really wasn't very philantoropic, his response was to cancel all Apple's corporate philanthropy programmes (which were never reinstated).  Despite personal wealth of about $5billion, his only foray into charitable foundations got canned after about a year. Gates, on the other hand, may have brought grown IT users to tears with his products, but a very large percentage of those billions that he has made have gone to charities.

Jobs has been through a lot with his health, and of course I wish him a speedy recovery.  But while there's no denying his influence and vision has shaped modern computing more than any of his competitors, by quite a few accounts he is a pretty nasty piece of work for a buddhist

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 199
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 1:56:33 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Including, apparently (for a lot who worked with him) in the sense that "cult" is a typo. According to reports (and his unofficial biography), he's supposed to be an egomaniacal and very aggressive control freak, who treats his staff like crap.  Maybe that's the norm for a CEO of his ilk, I can't say.  But when an obituary was erroneously published in 08 that pointed out the fact that compared to Gates he really wasn't very philantoropic, his response was to cancel all Apple's corporate philanthropy programmes (which were never reinstated).  Despite personal wealth of about $5billion, his only foray into charitable foundations got canned after about a year. Gates, on the other hand, may have brought grown IT users to tears with his products, but a very large percentage of those billions that he has made have gone to charities.

Jobs has been through a lot with his health, and of course I wish him a speedy recovery.  But while there's no denying his influence and vision has shaped modern computing more than any of his competitors, by quite a few accounts he is a pretty nasty piece of work for a buddhist

That wouldn't surprise me- a major impression I have of Apple is of a controlling and slightly bullying nature so it wouldn't surprise me if their main figurehead displayed some less than pleasant traits!

All that aside though, he obviously achieved a lot - I don't remember the company being particularly fashionable until the iPod got launched so he managed to get a lot of people desperate to be seen with their latest tech!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 200
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 5:29:57 PM   
Donnie Murdo

So that's both Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive gone. As a fan of Apple's products, I hope there's enough talented designers and programmers in the company to keep the standards up, but maybe this could be the beginning of the end of their dominance.

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 201
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 5:34:15 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Donnie Murdo

So that's both Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive gone. As a fan of Apple's products, I hope there's enough talented designers and programmers in the company to keep the standards up, but maybe this could be the beginning of the end of their dominance.

Get ready for the fall of Apple and the rise of.............Acer!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 202
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 5:47:04 PM   
directorscut

quote:

What dominance? Microsoft has 90% of the marketshare.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 203
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 7:16:11 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm shocked, shocked to my very core.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 204
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 7:38:23 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

They dominate the smartphone, MP3 player and tablet markets. Microsoft may still have a monopoly in the PC operating system, but this is a market in a year-on-year decline as more people move to other forms of computing, such as tablets. You've also got Google eating into Microsoft's businesses.

Post #: 205
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 8:41:19 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

quote:

They dominate the smartphone, MP3 player and tablet markets. Microsoft may still have a monopoly in the PC operating system, but this is a market in a year-on-year decline as more people move to other forms of computing, such as tablets. You've also got Google eating into Microsoft's businesses.

The 90% figures includes all hardware that uses the OSs including phones and tablets.  So while they might be getting battered in the phone arena they are dominating overall.

Also, Google dominate the smartphone market share with 50% versus Apple's 30%.  So they're only really dominating the mp3 and tablet market, and Google chipped 20% from their market share in tablets over the past year.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 206
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 8:47:31 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The 90% figures includes all hardware that uses the OSs including phones and tablets.  So while they might be getting battered in the phone arena they are dominating overall.

Also, Google dominate the smartphone market share with 50% versus Apple's 30%.  So they're only really dominating the mp3 and tablet market, and Google chipped 20% from their market share in tablets over the past year.

I can believe that in terms of Android users vs IOS users, but I bet it would be interesting to look at in terms of the individual handset ownership.  Obviosuly there are tons more Android handsets than iPhone models but I reckon I see more iPhones out and abou than any other smartphone model (apart from Blackberry perhaps although they are 1st choice for a lot of businesses..).

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 207
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 9:20:22 PM   
HIM

I was talking strictly hardware. Apple sell more phone handsets, MP3 players and tablet PCs than any other manufacturer. Google do dominate in terms of OS though.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 208
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 25/8/2011 9:34:42 PM   
directorscut

quote:

I was talking strictly hardware. Apple sell more phone handsets, MP3 players and tablet PCs than any other manufacturer. Google do dominate in terms of OS though.

Not hard considering Google doesn't make any hardware (yet) ...

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 209
RE: Steve Jobs quits. - 26/8/2011 9:35:39 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Taiwan's NMA sum up the life and times of Steve Jobs in er, their own unique style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSFFpDuGZU&feature=player_embedded

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI