Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple - 16/4/2011 12:36:34 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Don't you need to connect the iPad to a PC for updates and to sync with your iTunes account for music, movies and apps?

I really need a laptop before investing in an iPad (as much as I'd like to) as an iPad can't receive packages my aunty sends from the US and put things on disc/usb. That's the main reason. It also can't be transported to work with me whilst I watch said packages.

This is the current state of my laptop:

Fixed only by the high tech peg (that takes AGES to locate in the correct place!) :

Could just replace the lcd, it's not that expensive or hard to do, in comparison to buying a new device!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 151
RE: Apple - 17/4/2011 3:12:24 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Too late!

To be fair it was really quite old and outdated....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 152
RE: Apple - 17/4/2011 10:29:46 PM   
UTB

I bought a MacBook Air today... loving it. The Mrs has a MacBook Pro and I needed a new laptop for business travel (so needed it to be light), have been using the Pro a lot lately and quite like the idea of not having to bother with anti-virus software too...

< Message edited by UTB -- 17/4/2011 10:30:08 PM >

Post #: 153
RE: Apple - 22/4/2011 9:41:08 AM   
Ell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears

What are your thoughts on this?

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 154
RE: Apple - 22/4/2011 4:38:33 PM   
sam89

It's slighty odd that Apple have done that (and I'm wating to hear what the explanaition is), but it's hardly much of a privacy threat. For a start, you are always being tracked by cell towers no matter which phone you have. The iPhone just happens to save the data onto the phone as well. But this data can only be seen by someone who has access to your phone and your computer (although there may be ways for someone else to jailbreak the phone without removing the data, I'm not sure). But even then, if someone untrustworthy has access to your phone and/or computer, you have much bigger privacy issues to be worrying about.

Also, it should be noted that this "secret" file has actually be known about since iOS 4 came out last year. It's only now that someone has created a program to visualise the data.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 155
RE: Apple - 23/4/2011 3:39:48 PM   
gingerdaniel

Here's where i've been since July last year:

Which is a bit weird as i don't live in London, i'm not sure why there's such a large hotspot there...

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 156
RE: Apple - 23/4/2011 3:40:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm going to Switzerland in June, normally i dont switch my phone on whilst on holiday, but i might just to get a spot! It's like getting stamps on your passport!!!

Post #: 157
RE: Apple - 27/4/2011 3:23:52 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The Wall Street Journal has reported that iPhones, as well as smartphones operating on Google's Android platform, regularly transmit their locations back to the respective companies.

Apple said Wednesday it is not tracking the location to iPhones, has never done so and has no plans to ever do so.

"Users are confused, partly because the creators of this new technology [including Apple] have not provided enough education about these issues to date," the company said in a statement.

Apple said it maintains a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around users' locations, a process that helps the phone calculate its location when such information is requested. The company downloads a subset, or cache, of the database on each phone. The cache is "protected but not encrypted," and backed up on iTunes whenever users back up their iPhones, the company said.

Apple said it would release an iPhone software update in the next few weeks that reduces the size of the database cached on the phone, ceases backing up the cache and deletes the cache entirely when location services is turned off.

The statement came alongside announcements that the white iPhone 4 will be available Thursday, and that the second-generation iPad arrives in Japan, Hong Kong, and other new markets this week.

Post #: 158
RE: Apple - 29/4/2011 4:55:28 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The Wall Street Journal has reported that iPhones, as well as smartphones operating on Google's Android platform, regularly transmit their locations back to the respective companies.

Apple said Wednesday it is not tracking the location to iPhones, has never done so and has no plans to ever do so.

"Users are confused, partly because the creators of this new technology [including Apple] have not provided enough education about these issues to date," the company said in a statement.

Apple said it maintains a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around users' locations, a process that helps the phone calculate its location when such information is requested. The company downloads a subset, or cache, of the database on each phone. The cache is "protected but not encrypted," and backed up on iTunes whenever users back up their iPhones, the company said.

Apple said it would release an iPhone software update in the next few weeks that reduces the size of the database cached on the phone, ceases backing up the cache and deletes the cache entirely when location services is turned off.

The statement came alongside announcements that the white iPhone 4 will be available Thursday, and that the second-generation iPad arrives in Japan, Hong Kong, and other new markets this week.

Has anyone here seen the new season premier of South Park? ^^^

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 159
RE: Apple - 30/4/2011 10:02:36 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Which is a bit weird as i don't live in London, i'm not sure why there's such a large hotspot there...

Presumably because when you've been in London you've been surrounded by thousands of hotspots. That was my thinking.

Checked mine the other day. It's really cool, I can trace pretty much every major journey I've made over the last 18 months! There's even a couple of spots around a few places we got lost on a roadtrip a few weeks back, and marks from when I've checked my twitter/email en route to Paris. Ethically the whole tracking thing may be a little odd, but I'd sign up for this if it was an advertised feature!

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 30/4/2011 10:03:09 AM >

Post #: 160
RE: Apple - 30/4/2011 8:18:29 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

That app that finds the file doesn't seem to find one for me, I was intrigued as well. Any other way to find out?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 161
RE: Apple - 30/4/2011 11:19:09 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

It's slighty odd that Apple have done that (and I'm wating to hear what the explanaition is), but it's hardly much of a privacy threat. For a start, you are always being tracked by cell towers no matter which phone you have. The iPhone just happens to save the data onto the phone as well. But this data can only be seen by someone who has access to your phone and your computer (although there may be ways for someone else to jailbreak the phone without removing the data, I'm not sure). But even then, if someone untrustworthy has access to your phone and/or computer, you have much bigger privacy issues to be worrying about.

Also, it should be noted that this "secret" file has actually be known about since iOS 4 came out last year. It's only now that someone has created a program to visualise the data.

They've already explained it with a rather logical answer. It tracks and records all the cell sites you visit and records their signal and service strength/quality. It then uses this to build up favourites for you to give you a better experience. The reason is records everything and doesn't filter/delete irrelevant stuff or old stuff after a set amount of time is down to pure laziness and quite frankly it wasn't necessary to do so. They are now doing it however, after the big hoo hah about this.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 162
RE: Apple - 31/5/2011 3:56:24 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Apple announced today that it plans to introduce the next generation of its mobile platform, iOS 5, as well as a new cloud service called iCloud at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week on Monday, June 6. This is a highly unusual move for Apple, which normally tries to keep their center-ring announcements secret until the scheduled event.

In a press release, Apple says that iOS 5 will be unveiled alongside iCloud and OS X 10.7 Lion. However, there are no follow-up details on any of the software; the only official tidbit on iCloud is that it is an "upcoming cloud services offering."

There have been unofficial trickles of information on all three products over the last few months. iCloud is rumored to be a "digital locker" type service, not unlike Amazon's recently released cloud services for storing music. iOS 5 is expected to be a major overhaul to the operating system and may include features like over-the-air updates and a new mapping capability, though it will likely not make its way to related devices until next summer.

The week before any Apple event is often a time of rabid speculation and digging on the part of news outlets because Apple usually tries so hard to keep its new products under lock and key. Now that Apple is trying to take control of the information flow nearly a week before WWDC starts on June 6, we wonder if we'll see more official details emerge on iOS 5 and iCloud in the next few days.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 163
RE: Apple - 31/5/2011 4:40:10 PM   
Rob

I'm really intrigued to see what they do with iCloud but I'm not convinced I'll have too much use for it at the moment. Certainly if it's a paid for service, as it will be, I think I'll probably pass as any music / films I want I just put on my iPhone / iPad before setting out anywhere.

As for iOS 5 it seems strange that they would unveil it this year and then wait until next summer to distribute it to devices.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 164
RE: Apple - 7/6/2011 12:01:27 AM   
paul_ie86

I'm surprised this place wasn't hopping today

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 165
RE: Apple - 7/6/2011 10:36:22 AM   
Rob

Well all looks interesting but need to see it in action first. The ability to download purchases on multiple devices is great and long overdue but I'm not sure I can get that excited about all my music being in the cloud. Most of the time I want to access my content (movies / music) I'm either at home where I have them all stored, on the tube (no wifi) or on holiday (limited wifi) so not sure how much use I'd get from that.

iOS 5 looks good though.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 166
RE: Apple - 7/6/2011 5:49:48 PM   
Marky_Mark

I was super-impressed with the iOS5 features/upgrades, and the potential of iCloud is incredible. I take it you've seen the keynote up on Apple.com then Rob?

Also impressed by the price of Lion (!), wireless syncing, push updates, iMessage (BBM killer?!), and Airplay Mirroring.

Gutted that I bought my girlfriend a mobileme subscription last month though...mine expires this month but I received an email today saying that it'll be automatically renewed until 2012. Dammit!

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 167
RE: Apple - 7/6/2011 6:24:58 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Here's a list of the iOS5 key upgrades if you haven't already seen them, a lot of nice touches...

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/appleiphone/iphone-reviews/931601/apple_ios_5_review_round_up.html

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 168
RE: Apple - 7/6/2011 10:23:39 PM   
Marky_Mark

Apple's official promo vids for iOS 5 (here) and Lion (here)

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

Post #: 169
RE: Apple - 8/6/2011 1:08:55 PM   
Rob

Yeah I've watched the keynote twice now (I have no life) and it's actually much more impressive than perhaps I gave it credit for. I love the instant / wireless syncing and as mentioned the ability to redownload purchased content (no mention of video / tv) is welcomed. I like the idea of the Newstand app (would be great if it included comics) and the reminders look great as well.

Haven't got a Mac so skipped the Lion part but £29.99 or whatever it is seems like an absolute steal.

I'm now officially excited by iOS 5.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 170
RE: Apple - 8/6/2011 1:10:33 PM   
adambatman82

Some of the Cloud features are already active on iPhone. In the App store for instance, you have instant access to every App you've ever downloaded in the past, on any device using the same username. Its a handy feature. You can find this feature under "updates" in the App Store.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 171
RE: Apple - 8/6/2011 1:16:00 PM   
Rob

Same with books. Also if you download the beta version of iTunes you can set up your PC / MAC to automatic syncing for apps and books. Haven't tried that yet though.

Post #: 172
RE: Apple - 8/6/2011 7:52:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Haven't got a Mac so skipped the Lion part but £29.99 or whatever it is seems like an absolute steal.

Its actually only £20.99! I can't wait (although I will, I don't want to risk first-adoptee issues).

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 173
RE: Apple - 10/6/2011 11:37:27 AM   
Rob

That's incredibly cheap isn't it?

As for iTunes in the Cloud....bugger!:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/10/briefly_itunes_in_the_cloud_held_up_in_uk_iphone_in_space_android_messaging.html

Post #: 174
RE: Apple - 10/6/2011 11:45:38 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Racist!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 175
RE: Apple - 13/6/2011 6:44:30 AM   
sparkRyder78j

ICloud looks like a great way to organize media across multiple devices. Can't wait for IOS5

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 176
RE: Apple - 16/6/2011 2:25:27 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Apple to ban iPhones at gigs:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/apple-planning-ban-iphone-videos-gigs-112937999.html

It's a step too far if they go through with it.

(in reply to sparkRyder78j)
Post #: 177
RE: Apple - 16/6/2011 3:58:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Jesus wept.

Not only do they want to control what you put on something you own they now want to control how you use it.

What a joke.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 178
RE: Apple - 17/6/2011 12:36:53 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I couldn't give a damn about them banning phones at gigs (in fact I think that would actually be a good thing; there's nothing worse than seeing thousands of morons holding their phones aloft instead of actually enjoying a show), but its the further implications that worry me. I mean, if they can create a technology that does somehow disable certain functions of a mobile phone, then whats to stop this tech being employed in more serious circumstances? A lot of the recent uprising in the Middle East for example, has been captured on mobile phones.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 179
RE: Apple - 17/6/2011 4:37:27 PM   
Rob

I think you're right the wider implications are far more concerning. However, I can't see them actually going ahead with it. Apple may be many things but they're not stupid. People would just stop buying their products.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI