Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/2/2010 9:24:50 AM   
HIM

Anyone seen the Lenovo IdeaPad? It's a cross between a netbook (running Windows 7) and a tablet. Basically the screen can detatch and be used as a tablet.

http://www.t3.com/reviews/computers/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-u1-tablet-laptop-hybrid-video-hands-on

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 121
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 1/3/2010 6:08:30 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Apple's iPad tablet will only go on sale in the UK in April, with prices starting at £389.

That's the word from gadget site Geeky Gadgets, which quotes an unnamed source in pricing the non-3G iPad variants at £389 (16GB), £439 (32GB) and £489 (64GB). The same source revealed “we are more likely to get the iPad in the UK in April as opposed to March, which is currently being quoted on Apple’s website”.

Unsurprisingly, Apple is saying nothing about this latest rumour, while Geeky Gadgets itself admits it “can’t confirm 100 per cent that these prices are correct”, but the quoted prices are consistent with similar predictions made in the past.

The iPad was announced at the end of January, but only went on sale in the US at first, where it costs $499, $599 and $699 depending on the amount of on-board storage. Then there's the 3G version running on AT&T, which adds an extra $130.

Details on UK pricing and availability for the 3G iPad remain hazy. It's not known whether Apple will restrict itself to a single 3G provider, as with AT&T in the US, or will work with multiple partners. The latter appears more likely, with Vodafone, O2 and Orange said to have already held talks on the subject with Apple – the same three networks that carry the iPhone in the UK.

The matter is further complicated by the iPad's use of the smaller microSIM format instead of a conventional SIM card. Thus far, rumours have linked Orange and O2 with orders for the smaller-format SIM, but nothing more concrete has been confirmed.

The latest rumours at least mean the iPad is making the news for something other than its lack of Flash support, with Adobe and Apple chief executive Steve Jobs having waged a public war of words since the iPad's launch.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 122
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 6:37:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The unveiling of the new iPhone operating system, iPhone OS 4.0, is expected to take place at an Apple announcement scheduled for Thursday, April 8.

What is iPhone upgrade likely to include?

TUAW speculates that the new iPhone OS will offer multitasking, a new home screen, better app management, and some kind of a "landscape mode/switch." Apple Insider, citing "people with a proven track record in predicting Apple's technological advances," also predicts that iPhone OS 4 will introduce multitasking.

Gigagom's list of six features to expect in iPhone OS 4 includes multitasking, support for a second camera, better voice-to-text features, a higher resolution display, music streaming via the cloud, and a "unified inbox."

Engadget reports Apple's invitation for the iPhone OS 4 event promises a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone OS software."

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 123
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 11:40:49 AM   
adambatman82

Very much looking forward to tonights announcement. With it being the first post-windows series7 announcement I'm expecting a gamechanger.

Post #: 124
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 6:16:50 PM   
adambatman82

Multi-tasking has been announced!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 125
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 7:42:16 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Revolutionary.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 126
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 8:32:57 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Revolutionary.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 127
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 8:37:33 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Revolutionary.

to you too!

I guess you haven't read the rest of this thread?

Post #: 128
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 8:44:04 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Some nice additions for the iPhone, but the hardware is becoming dated and with the 4G out in July/August I'd have been hoping for a much bigger overhaul this time round rather than these slight improvements of the software, a faster data chip and increased screen size. I guess I can live in hope that the 4G is actually going to come with a brand new seperate OS and 4.0 is just for current models, but it's never going to happen. I think that'll be next year, when they get a complete overhaul unfortunately.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 129
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 8:51:15 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So my contract is up in June, am I better waiting for the 4g or getting the (probably cheaper) 3GS and just updating the OS? Choices, Choices....

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 130
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 8:54:00 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

So my contract is up in June, am I better waiting for the 4g or getting the (probably cheaper) 3GS and just updating the OS? Choices, Choices....

I'd always go with the newer tech, especially going off the current pricing of 3G and 3GS which isn't big enough to warrant not getting a 3GS, but me upgrading as I have done with every other iteration of the phone has become a little less of a dead cert.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 131
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 8/4/2010 11:21:18 PM   
HIM

I'm a little disappointed with OS 4.0 stuff. It smacks of the iPad keynote in that, yeah it's slick and nice, but it's not anything new. Remember when Apple brought the iPhone out and it blew every fucker away with it's awesomeness? Now they just seem to be treading water a bit and including stuff that is either already available on other phones or on the iPhone itself if you jailbreak it or that should have been included from the off. Look at the big features it's boasting about:

1) Multitasking. My shitty Windows phone can multitask and the Palm Pre has been doing it for over a year too.
2) Folders. The implementation may be nice and slick but again my Windows phone can put shit in folders.
3) Even better mail. The Palm Pre can pull all your email into one place.
4) iBooks. Fuck off. You can already download books for the iPhone. But now Apple can charge you! Ace!
5) iAd. Am I meant to be excited that Apple are coming up with better ways for people to sell me shit?

Unless I'm missing something those are the main things. Now colour me pretty unimpressed with that lot. I'm hoping the iPhone HD will make up for this disappointment.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 132
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 3:00:37 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Revolutionary.

to you too!

Should that not have been on the iPhone before this though?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 133
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 9:58:37 AM   
HIM

Here's a video of OS 4.0 in action.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-hands-on/

Did Apple really need to announce these incremental additions in the way they did? Surely a simple press release without all the hoo-hah would've been enough. Looking at that video I have to say the mutitasking feature looks extremely tacked on compared to how it's implemented in WebOS on the Palm Pre. Not nearly as slick. Also, the guy in the video had some trouble creating a folder. Firstly the apps kept opening when he wanted to long press and then he had a bit of trouble putting one app directly over another. iPhone OS is definitely starting to look a bit long in the tooth.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 134
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 10:27:44 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Revolutionary.

to you too!

Well no, because the technology wasn't there before now. The activity of multi-tasking is a real battery drainer, especially on a device like the iPhone, which eats batteries like they're going out of fashion anyway, so its taken some time working around the issues. And to be fair, first party multi-tasking has been there since day one, so for example you could use iTunes whilst browsing the internet, and such combinations.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 135
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 2:14:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Revolutionary.

to you too!

Well no, because the technology wasn't there before now. The activity of multi-tasking is a real battery drainer, especially on a device like the iPhone, which eats batteries like they're going out of fashion anyway, so its taken some time working around the issues. And to be fair, first party multi-tasking has been there since day one, so for example you could use iTunes whilst browsing the internet, and such combinations.

Really?

I could multi task on my Nokia N-Gage 7 years ago.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 136
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 2:55:49 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Here's a video of OS 4.0 in action.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-hands-on/

Did Apple really need to announce these incremental additions in the way they did? Surely a simple press release without all the hoo-hah would've been enough. Looking at that video I have to say the mutitasking feature looks extremely tacked on compared to how it's implemented in WebOS on the Palm Pre. Not nearly as slick. Also, the guy in the video had some trouble creating a folder. Firstly the apps kept opening when he wanted to long press and then he had a bit of trouble putting one app directly over another. iPhone OS is definitely starting to look a bit long in the tooth.

The only thing in that article that gave me a smidgen of excitement (and I do mean only a smidgen) was the ability to zoom with the camera.  Apart from that I'm very meh about everything else.  I can get mail on my current 3GS, I don't need to multitask.  I will never read books on a handheld as I like the touch and feel of books too much (and I get headaches when I read a lot off monitors).   It does exactly what I want it to do and I love it .

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 137
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 9/4/2010 3:53:30 PM   
sam89

quote:

quote:

Really?

Multi-tasking on most phones seriously drains the battery. Apple claim to have overcome this issue. Steve Job's said that the iPhone's multitasking is like cut-and-paste - they weren't the first to do it, but they did it the best.

Post #: 138
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 14/4/2010 11:15:45 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/4/14/apple-delays-international-launch-ipad/

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 139
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/4/2010 5:44:55 PM   
musewitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

quote:

quote:

Really?

Multi-tasking on most phones seriously drains the battery. Apple claim to have overcome this issue. Steve Job's said that the iPhone's multitasking is like cut-and-paste - they weren't the first to do it, but they did it the best.

My Nexus One, which has full fat multi-tasking has no battery issues at all. It needs charging every night after heavy use, but so does the iPhone.

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 140
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/4/2010 4:12:44 PM   
adambatman82

New iPhone revealed. Well I say revealed, it was actually found in a bar in San Jose.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/apples-4th-generation-iphone-revealed/?icid=engadget-iphone-url

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 141
Apple - 1/4/2011 11:51:34 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

So, the iPhone 5 should be announced soon right? I shalln't be getting this one as I'll still have a year to run on my iPhone 4 contract but I can't really see myself owning anything other than an iPhone in the near future.

I've recently been toying with the idea of getting the new Ipad as my laptop has just about had it (7 years old!) but it can't do everything a laptop can do (infact it needs to hook up to a computer) and it just hasn't blown me away enough to justify the £479 price tag. This year I'll just be buying another laptop and then possibly buy the iPad 3 next year (if I think it's worth it)

On a sidenote, I hope you don't mind but I've changed the title of this thread so it can include future news about any of Apples products rather than having seperate threads for all the new announcements and such like.

Post #: 142
RE: Apple - 1/4/2011 11:59:45 AM   
Hobbitonlass

My iPhone contract is up in October (can renew in Sept) and I was actually thinking should I consider something else?   I'm worried that my current contract allows unlimited data usage (and it is unlimited) but when (and if) I renew I'll be restricted by a data allowance that is extra so will work out more costly than the tariff I am on at the moment.

Been looking at the htc as an alternative (but what's the betting I stick with Apple).  When is the iPhone5 due then?

I wasn't fussed about the first iPad but rather liking the iPad2.  Not sure I could justify the cost at the moment though.  Think I would like to get one eventually though.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 143
RE: Apple - 1/4/2011 11:59:59 AM   
shool

I have an Iphone and an Ipad 1.
Both excellent as Toys.

The Ipad I would find no use as a business or everyday device. Its great as a reader, but I wouldnt want to type out emails or documents on it either. Great for Apps, games, browsing but not as an everyday computing device. I do adore my iphone though as it acts as phone, music player, Sat Nav and personal email client all in one device.
I can barely get near my Ipad though as my 4 and 6 year old or my wife are always on it. (I guess thats a testimony to how easy it is to use for kids too.)

If I had to choose only having 1 device either a Netbook or an Ipad. I would have to choose a netbook due to its flexibility.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 144
RE: Apple - 1/4/2011 12:12:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

My iPhone contract is up in October (can renew in Sept) and I was actually thinking should I consider something else? I'm worried that my current contract allows unlimited data usage (and it is unlimited) but when (and if) I renew I'll be restricted by a data allowance that is extra so will work out more costly than the tariff I am on at the moment.

Been looking at the htc as an alternative (but what's the betting I stick with Apple). When is the iPhone5 due then?

I have limited data on my O2 contract at 750 a month and to be honest I never get anywhere near that amount of data as it's mainly connected to my home wi-fi (which is unlimited) and partly because 750 seems an insanely large amount unless you're consistantly watching movies or downloading loads of apps every month.

The missus has the HTC Desire HD and although it's a good phone it doesn't even come close to the iPhone IMHO. The whole Android setup might be slightly less limited than the Apple software but there's a good reason for that as Android and the system just looks messy and is no where near as simple. The only thing that the HTC Desire HD offers over the iPhone is the ability to have 'widgets' (which is a preference thing I suppose) and the obvious Bluetooth connection. The battery life is absolutely appalling (but that's probably to do with the HD's HUGE screen) and although the touchscreen works well most of the time it can still be jittery at times. The screen is also nowhere near as good looking as Apples retina display. These are things that HTC could iron out by September though so they're not that important, IMO the Android system needs an overhaul already if it's to compete with Apples software.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 145
RE: Apple - 1/4/2011 12:20:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

So all the pratting about on FB and the like wouldn't be a problem on limited data then?  I don't download movies and any apps I download I tend to do at home on iTunes and then move across to the phone.

My brother has the 4 and it is nice and I wouldn't be without my iPhone.  In fact it rarely gets used as a phone   The battery life on the 3GS doesn't bother me as I just tend to recharge in the morning whilst I'm getting ready so I always start the day off on 100%.  Is the battery life improved on the 4 or the same?

Post #: 146
RE: Apple - 1/4/2011 1:00:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

The battery on the 4 can last all day when just casually using it, if I'm on it a lot it does need a charge in the afternoon. I'm not really too fussed by battery life though as I can plug it in at work and at home, I'm never really out of the house long enough for it to matter and if I tend to not use my phone anywhere near as much

Well if you download apps via your PC or Wi-Fi 500 would proabably be enough, that's what the missus get's on her contract and she never uses anywhere near that much. Pratting around on Facebook really doesn't use much data at all. I wouldn't be too worried about data caps, even if you go over (with O2 anyways) as I understand it they don't charge you any extra, simply slow down your speed until your next billing date.

I'm interested to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer over the 4...

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 147
RE: Apple - 3/4/2011 8:13:29 AM   
Castor Troy

YFU, you said you need a laptop rather than an iPad cos you need to connect it to a computer. What will you be using it for?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 148
RE: Apple - 3/4/2011 11:00:12 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Don't you need to connect the iPad to a PC for updates and to sync with your iTunes account for music, movies and apps?

I really need a laptop before investing in an iPad (as much as I'd like to) as an iPad can't receive packages my aunty sends from the US and put things on disc/usb. That's the main reason. It also can't be transported to work with me whilst I watch said packages.

This is the current state of my laptop:

Fixed only by the high tech peg (that takes AGES to locate in the correct place!) :

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 149
RE: Apple - 14/4/2011 11:35:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

White iPhone finally on it's way:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2043468/apples-white-iphone-finally

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI