Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 2:03:42 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

I was excited about this... But the announcement l left me somewhat cold. Listening to the audiences lack of reaction as Jobs said 'and get this... it can browse the web!' and demoing practically exactly the same web browsing experience you get on an iphone, along with lack of flash. I knew it'd be something like an iphone, I didn't think it'd be less feature-filled than one though (no camera?) Is this just another basic model than Apple will drip feed features for over five year period? Probably..

That said - I still want one... soooooo shiny....

To be fair, an iPhone style tiny camera on the back would be pretty redundant. I was surprised there wasnt a front mounted camera tho, for video chat. Thats something that I have no doubt will be implemented in the future tho.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 91
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 3:33:20 PM   
Jules

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Speaking of the Macbook, I'm appauled at the price they are! I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've always wanted a Mac but paying over £800 for the basic model is rediculous. I knew Macs were always dearer than their PC counterpart but not that much dearer. I've just been on the Apple store and you also have to pay extra for programs like iWork, so that alone nudges it towards £900. F that!

They didn't used to be as dear percentage wise as they are now. I've been an apple user for about 11 years now but I'm thinking about moving to PC as I'm disgusted with the prices of the things. My most current Macbook is a bottom of the range one that cost £700 two and a half years ago but I expect prices on electronics to go down with time - not up. I was also surprised last time I bought one that it didn't come with any kind of word processor like they used to - though fortunately I still have a copy of Appleworks and just run that which does me fine.

Edit - Actually I'm considering buying a cheap laptop and hacking it to run OSX as I gather that's possible now.

< Message edited by Jules -- 28/1/2010 3:36:07 PM >

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 92
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 4:17:08 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Microsoft's offering?

Microsoft Courier

Also from that same site

8 things that suck about the iPad    (I'm sure most of them have been mentioned here already though)

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 28/1/2010 4:19:26 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Jules)
Post #: 93
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 4:27:39 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Microsoft's offering?

Microsoft Courier

Holy shit that thing is brilliant! That's the kind of thing I expected from Apple, certainly not Microsoft. If they can get that to market with all those features and usability in tact it will blow the iPad out of the water.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 94
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 4:42:41 PM   
HIM

Here's a more indepth look at how the Courier will work:

http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-courier-video-shows-how-well-actually-use-it

Seems to be aimed squarely at designers. It'll be interesting to see how it handles things like Microsoft Office, and especially typing.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 95
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 5:19:58 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

quote:

Microsoft's offering?

Microsoft Courier

Holy shit that thing is brilliant! That's the kind of thing I expected from Apple, certainly not Microsoft. If they can get that to market with all those features and usability in tact it will blow the iPad out of the water.

I have to say that the courier looks great but it is quite a different device from the iPad. There's no mention of the courier being used to play movies, music etc.

I don't think they can really be compared.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 96
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 5:33:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

quote:

Microsoft's offering?

Microsoft Courier

I have to say that the courier looks great but it is quite a different device from the iPad. There's no mention of the courier being used to play movies, music etc.

I don't think they can really be compared.

And the Courier only exists in CGI imagery doesn't it? Is there actually a physical model of it on display? I know the article linked says that its gone beyond the prototype stage, yet all the material provided is renderings, as opposed to photographs of an actual device. It does look very nice tho.

Saying that, the fact that it will run a Microsoft operating system means I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 28/1/2010 5:46:14 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 97
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 5:51:37 PM   
HIM

So how much are we betting this thing will retail for in the UK? I've just looked on the US store and a standard Macbook costs $999 (£610 straight conversion) yet we're charged £816. Over £200 more! So I reckon the iPad will be:

16GB $499 (£309) = £399
32GB $599 (£371) = £479
64GB $699 (£433) = £549

And then add another £100 on for the 3G version.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 98
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 6:04:35 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

So how much are we betting this thing will retail for in the UK? I've just looked on the US store and a standard Macbook costs $999 (£610 straight conversion) yet we're charged £816. Over £200 more! So I reckon the iPad will be:

16GB $499 (£309) = £399
32GB $599 (£371) = £479
64GB $699 (£433) = £549

And then add another £100 on for the 3G version.

Yep that was my guess. Three quarters of the US price seems to be about right. As a complimentary computer I will probably go for the 16GB too.

There's also a chance that the 3G one will be subsidised and sold under contract.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 99
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 6:17:29 PM   
HIM

What I don't like about the 3G version (aside from 3G being slow) is that the iPad uses a new microSIM, so you'll have to take a whole new data plan to use it and not be able to simply shove in your existing SIM and make use of your unlimited data with your phone.

Post #: 100
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 6:24:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

What I don't like about the 3G version (aside from 3G being slow) is that the iPad uses a new microSIM, so you'll have to take a whole new data plan to use it and not be able to simply shove in your existing SIM and make use of your unlimited data with your phone.

True. I would never personally go for a 3G version anyway, 3G is bad enough on the iPhone. Plus, wifi is everywhere anyway, including free on trains.

On a related note, I wonder what effect this will have on the supposed 4G iPhone that many claimed will be available this June. I would have expected Apple to incorporate 4G technology into this device if any.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 101
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 7:00:30 PM   
themightyhutch

So what actually is the point in this? I mean I know everyone's entranced by how shiny it is but I'm baffled as to what it's uses actually are. Don't get me wrong, Apple are a brilliant company, I've bought 2 ipods and I just bought an Iphone but I just can't get my head around what anyone would use an ipad for.

Post #: 102
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 7:56:22 PM   
adambatman82

Stephen Fry had a go on one last night and has posted a pretty long review of it -

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/

This bit stood out -

I know there will be many who have already taken one look and pronounced it to be nothing but a large iPhone and something of a disappointment. I have heard these voices before. In June 2007 when the iPhone was launched I collected a long list of “not impressed”, “meh”, “big deal”, “style over substance”, “it’s all hype”, “my HTC TyTN can do more”, “what a disappointment”, “majorly underwhelmed” and similar reactions. They can hug to themselves the excuse that the first release of iPhone was 2G, closed to developers and without GPS, cut and paste and many other features that have since been incorporated. Neither they, nor I, nor anyone, predicted the “game-changing” effect the phone would so rapidly have as it evolved into a 3G, third-party app rich, compass and GPS enabled market leader. Even if it had proved a commercial and business disaster instead of an astounding success, iPhone would remain the most significant release of its generation because of its effect on the smartphone habitat. Does anybody seriously believe that Android, Nokia, Samsung, Palm, BlackBerry and a dozen others would since have produced the product line they have without the 100,000 volt taser shot up the jacksie that the iPhone delivered to the entire market?

Nonetheless, even if they couldn’t see that THREE BILLION apps would be downloaded in 2 years (that’s half a million app downloads a day, give or take ) could they not see that this device was gorgeous, beautifully made, very powerful and capable of development into something extraordinary? I see those qualities in the iPad. Like the first iPhone, iPad 1.0 is a John the Baptist preparing the way of what is to come, but also like iPhone 1.0 (and Jokanaan himself too come to that) iPad 1.0 is still fantastic enough in its own right to be classed as a stunningly exciting object, one that you will want NOW and one that will not be matched this year by any company. In the future, when it has two cameras for fully featured video conferencing, GPS and who knows what else built in (1080 HD TV reception and recording and nano projection, for example) and when the iBook store has recorded its 100 millionth download and the thousands of accessories and peripherals that have invented uses for iPad that we simply can’t now imagine – when that has happened it will all have seemed so natural and inevitable that today’s nay-sayers and sceptics will have forgotten that they ever doubted its potential.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 103
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/1/2010 7:58:14 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

So what actually is the point in this? I mean I know everyone's entranced by how shiny it is but I'm baffled as to what it's uses actually are. Don't get me wrong, Apple are a brilliant company, I've bought 2 ipods and I just bought an Iphone but I just can't get my head around what anyone would use an ipad for.

Stephen Fry says -

"This is a different order of experience. The speed, the responsiveness, the smooth glide of it, the richness and detail of the display, the heft in your hand, the rightness of the actions and gestures that you employ, untutored and instinctively, it’s not just a scaled up iPhone or a scaled-down multitouch enhanced laptop – it is a whole new kind of device."

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 104
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:03:19 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

So how much are we betting this thing will retail for in the UK? I've just looked on the US store and a standard Macbook costs $999 (£610 straight conversion) yet we're charged £816. Over £200 more!

The extra 200 is mostly VAT and other charges as far as I know. I heard an explanation on an Apple podcast that explained the perception that the machines are more expensive here than the US. If you take the weak dollar out of the equation, the products are priced pretty much the same. It's the VAT that gives you the extra hike.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 105
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 6:03:45 AM   
JoeyPottr

It's paying 400 plus dollars for something the size of a frisbee, that has a touch pad like a simon says toy. A waste of money for another gadget. Now if apple made a hover pad (like the hover board in Back To The Future Part II) then I might think about it.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 106
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 8:45:51 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

It's paying 400 plus dollars for something the size of a frisbee, that has a touch pad like a simon says toy. A waste of money for another gadget. Now if apple made a hover pad (like the hover board in Back To The Future Part II) then I might think about it.

I reckon this will be more useful than a hoverboard.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 107
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 8:59:12 AM   
HIM

Does anyone know if you can plug USB devices into the iPad such as an external hard drive and transfer over songs and video files or are you completely locked into downloading and consuming all of your songs and video from iTunes?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 108
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 9:58:26 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Does anyone know if you can plug USB devices into the iPad such as an external hard drive and transfer over songs and video files or are you completely locked into downloading and consuming all of your songs and video from iTunes?

You can but you need an adaptor. Another whopping mistake.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 109
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 12:40:36 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

quote:

You can but you need an adaptor. Another whopping mistake.

You need an adapter for something that's universal? You couldn't make it up...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 110
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 12:47:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I have to be honest I really like it - it looks like a fairly handy thing to me. How much is it gonna cost over here, £300 or something?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 111
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:05:16 PM   
Olaf

I thought it was generally received wisdom that buying the first model of any new Apple product is strictly for Apple fiends and simpletons. Then when they pick up on all the criticisms people have about it, they fix them on the later, cheaper, better models. Just look at the iPhone.

That said, it is pretty shiny.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/1/2010 1:07:21 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 112
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:14:52 PM   
HIM

The thing with the initial iPhone is that it was truely revolutionary. And it's taken 3 years for Android and WebOS to catch up (and they're still not quite there). Plus being a phone you know you'll only have to have it for 18 months, so when a new version comes out it's no hassle to upgrade. With the iPad however there's nothing revolutionary at all and the shorcomings are even more obvious and much more of an issue than those of the original iPhone. Plus when Apple releases the iPad 2 in a year's time where does that leave early adopters?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 113
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:15:26 PM   
igotnewlegs

Very true Olaf.

This isn't a great piece of kit from what I've seen. There are certain things it doesn't do that I'd really like and that's the ability to multi-task, the ability to wirelessly transfer data from any app on any node, and the ability to hook it up to a TV. Factor in no flash and you're shit out of luck if you like streaming movies or TV shows. As for the pricing, the low end of this product is poop. 16GB with no 3G? Why would you want that? I would think 64GB would be a minimum of what you'd require considering you have to dock the thing to exchange files. Just look at how much extra that's gonna cost you!

This prouct will be okay for apple fanatics who already own everything else the have on the market but I for one am not gonna bother.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 114
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:26:50 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What's up with this inability to multi-task? Fair enough you can just about get away with it on an iphone but surely not on this thing

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 115
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 29/1/2010 1:35:55 PM   
UTB

Most people I've spoken who have clearly seen everything that it doesn't do have said "yeah but I'll probably still get one just to see what it's like".

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 116
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 31/1/2010 1:19:30 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

So do people still think Apple will be releasing a new iPhone in June? Or will they leave it until later in the year due to this iPad? I've decided to upgrade to one when my contract runs out in June but I'd rather get the latest model (4G?) than the current 3GS.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 117
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 31/1/2010 10:18:17 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

So do people still think Apple will be releasing a new iPhone in June? Or will they leave it until later in the year due to this iPad? I've decided to upgrade to one when my contract runs out in June but I'd rather get the latest model (4G?) than the current 3GS.

The new iPhone during the summer is a dead certain, this is marketed separately and is intended to compliment owning an iPhone, not an either or product. Apple run like clockwork with their updates, you know exactly what's coming and when.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 118
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/2/2010 9:34:38 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://www.t3.com/news/x2-computing-launches-itablet-to-rival-apple-ipad?=43521

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 119
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/2/2010 6:06:59 AM   
lulu karma

I love Apple products but, iPad... I won't be buying one. Not yet anyway. Stephen Fry was quoted above talking about how this version of iPad is just a hint of what is to come. I agree. Right now I can't really see that I have a need for an iPad as it is.

I have a laptop - Macbook.
I have music sources - iPod and Shuffle (2nd generation)
I have an eReader - after much soul searching I bought a Kindle. It comes with free WhisperNet and let's me do basics like email, Twitter and have a book/blog/whatever downloaded in a few seconds.

I never bought an iPhone. To me they are too expensive in monthly fees and I really am not into talking/emailing/whatevering on my mobile like I once was. For me it's more about having a very good camera/phone combo and for that I have always been very happy with Sony's models. On that front, my current Sony Ericsson will be replaced with an Ericsson Satio in the near future.

iPad will be a few years down the road for me. I like the bookshelf fancy thing on it though.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI