Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/11/2012 4:52:10 PM   
sanchia

So Apple has lost its appeal in the UK against Samsung and will have to print apologies.

quote:

Apple has lost its appeal against a UK ruling that Samsung had not infringed its design rights.

A judge at the High Court in London had originally ruled in July that the look of Samsung's Galaxy Tab computers was not too similar to designs registered in connection with the iPad.

He said at the time that Samsung's devices were not as "cool" because they lacked Apple's "extreme simplicity".

Apple still needs to run ads saying Samsung had not infringed its rights.

The US firm had previously been ordered to place a notice to that effect - with a link to the original judgement - on its website and place other adverts in the Daily Mail, Financial Times, T3 Magazine and other publications to "correct the damaging impression" that Samsung was a copycat.

The appeal judges decided not to overturn the decision on the basis that a related Apple design-rights battle in the German courts risked causing confusion in consumers' minds.

"The acknowledgment must come from the horse's mouth," they said. "Nothing short of that will be sure to do the job completely."

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 451
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/3/2013 6:12:53 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

News on a Iphone 5s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9910476/Apple-to-release-iPhone-5S-in-August.html

quote:

His report said the iPhone 5S would have a fingerprint chip under the Home button, to improve security, while the new, cheaper iPhone would be available in a range of colours

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 6/3/2013 6:14:58 AM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 452
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 23/3/2013 5:25:59 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a467791/apple-working-on-drop-proof-iphone.html

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 453
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 6:12:08 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

News on a Iphone 5s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9910476/Apple-to-release-iPhone-5S-in-August.html

quote:

His report said the iPhone 5S would have a fingerprint chip under the Home button, to improve security, while the new, cheaper iPhone would be available in a range of colours

Accurate!

So is anyone -planning on getting the new iPhone or has the novelty finally started to wear off with Apple products? You can't even claim that you buy them as a premium brand now they've started pandering to the masses by releasing cheaper handsets.

I've still got a year left with my iPhone 5 but I don't think I'll be staying with Apple, I fancy a change.

iOS 7 seems to be getting some negative feedback, I think it might be the usual 'adverse to change' noises. I quite like it to be honest, the iOS certainly needed updating. They've made it more fresh and fuctional without compromising too much on what makes iOS great in the first place.

Post #: 454
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 6:21:04 AM   
Hobbitonlass

To me iOS7 makes the iPhone look like a Fisher Price toy with all its primary colours and it feels like it is trying to copy Android as a lot of what it does now is what Android has been doing for ages.

I'm glad I moved away from Apple for my personal phone but still have an iPhone for work and an iPad.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 455
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 7:43:25 AM   
jonson

I can't make my mind up. I don't like change, hence I had a Nokia phone for 7 years, the same one as well, and refused to upgrade (silly old twat)
I can't live without my IPhone now, but the upgrade has just annoyed me. Silly colours, overcomplicating certain things (Like sending photos as a text) it also downloaded our entire music collection (me and my girls share the same Apple account - obviously, so I have to pay for everything, they're not stupid these females) so mixed in with all my music, I also have lots of Bieber, One Direction, and allsorts of shit I've never heard of.
I do however like the noise it makes when you press the off button. It's the same noise, but with added echo, which admittedly I've grown quite fond of.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 456
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 9:05:46 AM   
Chief

I like the torch.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 457
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 9:31:49 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

To me iOS7 makes the iPhone look like a Fisher Price toy with all its primary colours and it feels like it is trying to copy Android as a lot of what it does now is what Android has been doing for ages.

I'm glad I moved away from Apple for my personal phone but still have an iPhone for work and an iPad.

I never understood the complaints of they're just doing what Android already do. Yet when they don't have a feature that Android does people complain that Apple phones are missing features. It's a pointless double edged sword.

Android still has issues over segregation that'll never be overcome. The play store or whatever Google calls it, is a joke, downloading apps is like a lottery, you just don't know whether it will work or not. There are that many hardware and software combinations that so many apps don't work, yet the play store doesn't actually tell you, or infact just hide it on your particular device if it is incompatible.

Apple do innovate, and Apple do play catch up as well. But what can be said with Apple is regardless of which it is doing the quality and ease of use is always there, unlike competitors (and it's not worth mentioning maps as it's in a beta stage still and needs usage statistics before it can improve).

The iOS7 round edges and bright colours may suggest Fisher Price and I cannot argue with that, but the build quality of the phone is the best out there, they're made from premium materials, so they certainly don't feel like anything but an expensive and high tech piece of kit. Compare this to any device manufactured by Samsung for example and you've got a ridiculous contrast, whereby the Samsung devices feel like fisher price toys, infact the build quality of them and the materials used feel no different to that of the actual Fisher price mobile toy my little lad has.

One last point is, I doubt we'll be seeing iOS7 Lion Bar anytime soon! I don't want my phone OS to be one giant sponsorship/shove it in your face advertising campaign for a rather unethical confectionary/pharma company.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 20/9/2013 9:32:17 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 458
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 9:31:53 AM   
shool

quote:

quote:

News on a Iphone 5s

quote:

Accurate!

So is anyone -planning on getting the new iPhone or has the novelty finally started to wear off with Apple products? You can't even claim that you buy them as a premium brand now they've started pandering to the masses by releasing cheaper handsets.

I've still got a year left with my iPhone 5 but I don't think I'll be staying with Apple, I fancy a change.

iOS 7 seems to be getting some negative feedback, I think it might be the usual 'adverse to change' noises. I quite like it to be honest, the iOS certainly needed updating. They've made it more fresh and fuctional without compromising too much on what makes iOS great in the first place.

I'll be sticking with Apple. My Iphone 4 is getting is starting to have problems with the main button. You have to press to really hard now for it to work.
I still think Iphones are the best phones around though. I cant think of a single thing I wish it could do, that it doesnt do already.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 459
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 9:44:26 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

iOS 7 seems to be getting some negative feedback

It's not really a budget handset being less than £100 different in price.

I've tried leaving iOS for Windows and Android, both have their benefits but they're certainly far from the complete package that iOS offers. If you're properly into the Apple Eco system and have invested money into apps and music I really wouldn't even consider moving unless their became a massive gulf in quality and service in the direction of one of the other two.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 460
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 10:06:02 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

quote:

News on a Iphone 5s

quote:

Accurate!

I'll be sticking with Apple. My Iphone 4 is getting is starting to have problems with the main button. You have to press to really hard now for it to work.
I still think Iphones are the best phones around though. I cant think of a single thing I wish it could do, that it doesnt do already.

My iPhone 4 has gone through phases of that every since I got it from new. It keeps sorting itself out. And until the time it doesn't I won't be changing as Apple really isn't giving me enough new to get excited about.

We had Siri, and I'm more tactile than verbal so I've never felt the need to ask my phone verbally what the weather is like or to call someone when I can do that with a couple of presses of my index finger.

Now we have the fingerprint log-in. Yes, I do find it an annoyance to have to put in the code each time it turns on. But again its a few seconds of my life that I've become used to and the activation energy just isn't there to buy a new phone to get over this.

Apple's problem IMO therefore is "Better than the Beatles". When you've had a band that is the best ever, how do you sell the next band coming along? Or the iPhone was such a major step, putting together all the components of ease of use, look, applications, response etc. at a level that had not been seen before, that every step after that is small and a so what.

So, I can see why people make the change to another brand now because they fancy a change and I think that will increasingly become a problem for Apple. And you can see now a reason to make the phone a commodity (i.e. reduce price) because other than brand loyalty they are not able to produce something new and exceptional that is a phone.

But as I've said, I can still see me (touch wood) getting another couple of years out of my phone. And I don't feel it is dated compared to other phones I see or the performance is so much worse or anything.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 461
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 12:06:42 PM   
MonsterCat

I like iOS7. It looks funky and the music player interface looks nicer compared to the flat and boring one from the last iteration.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 462
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 12:30:37 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

The iOS7 round edges and bright colours may suggest Fisher Price and I cannot argue with that, but the build quality of the phone is the best out there, they're made from premium materials, so they certainly don't feel like anything but an expensive and high tech piece of kit. Compare this to any device manufactured by Samsung for example and you've got a ridiculous contrast, whereby the Samsung devices feel like fisher price toys, infact the build quality of them and the materials used feel no different to that of the actual Fisher price mobile toy my little lad has.

When I was looking for an Android recently I was torn between the S4 and the HTC One. Only when I actually held them did I feel like the Samsung was just like a plastic toy and it put me right off. HTC One feels nice and solid like the iPhone.

I do know what you mean about the problem with how many variations of Android there are. It's one of the biggest problems at work getting apps to work on certain Android devices and then having loads of people asking on the forums when the app will work on their device.

I think having two iPhones that had on/off buttons die on me I became a bit fed up and just fancied a change. Perfectly happy with my Android but interestingly I would stick with the iPad (just find iOS7 REALLY bright and in your face on that!)

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 20/9/2013 12:32:09 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 463
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/9/2013 3:15:41 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I like most of the changes made with regards to interfacing and functionality although a lot of those things were already available by Jailbreaking a couple of years ago. I absolutely hate the pastel look and design, It just has a feminine or even childish look to it that I can't get on board with at all to the point of definitely considering Jailbreaking again whenever it is that it comes out (hopefully not too long), not sure about moving to Samsung and android just yet though.

Why can't Apple just make the the phone more customisable ? different themes, icon skins, icon layouts, lock screen layouts, fonts, etc, they could even sell the mods in the App Store for a small price and make a killing, but no all we can do is change the text size and background..... *sighs*

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 20/9/2013 3:16:39 PM >

Post #: 464
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/9/2013 2:22:42 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

iOS 7 seems to be getting some negative feedback

It's not really a budget handset being less than £100 different in price.

I've tried leaving iOS for Windows and Android, both have their benefits but they're certainly far from the complete package that iOS offers. If you're properly into the Apple Eco system and have invested money into apps and music I really wouldn't even consider moving unless their became a massive gulf in quality and service in the direction of one of the other two.

Bit of an odd one really - is the 5C essentially the 5 in a different casing?

I must admit I was intrigued when I heard they were bringing out a 'cheaper' model as I might have been interested. Problem is, my actual minutes/texts usage doesn't really warrant a £30+ tariff nowadays even if I use my phone a lot for all it's other smartphone functions! With other expenses kicking in for me in the next month too, unfortunately the iPhone, even the cheaper model, remains out of budget.

Plus, I'm on Virgin Mobile without a good reason to change really, and I doubt they will ever offer the iPhone if they haven't already!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 465
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 23/9/2013 10:14:05 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I think if Apple would do a true budget phone, lets say on a contract of £15-£25 a month as well as the std £30+ for the top model phones and relaxed the limitations on customisation with IOS then they would probably be dominating the market again. That or slash the 4s prices which are pretty ridiculous considering how long the phones been on the market

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 466
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/9/2013 5:40:23 AM   
Quint

quote:

quote:

quote:

News on a Iphone 5s

quote:

Accurate!

Mine does the same thing with the home button, but luckily Apple have a way around it. Go to settings - general - accessibility - and turn on assistive touch. It basically brings up a virtual home button that does all the same functions of the main one plus a few more. It can be a little intrusive but I think it works very well.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 467
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/9/2013 10:12:29 AM   
Toad

If your having problems with the home button have you tried cleaning it? Switch the phone off and spray a little electronic cleaner round the edges of the button, press the button a few times to work it in. Wait a minute then switch back on, my home button was acting up on a 4 I had and this cleared it up.
Just make sure to use an electronic cleaner and not something like WD40, that would be very bad.

I aim to misbehave.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 468
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/9/2013 5:59:05 PM   
shool

Great suggestions guys.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Toad)
Post #: 469
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 1/10/2013 12:00:50 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

quote:

quote:

quote:

News on a Iphone 5s

quote:

Accurate!

Mine does the same thing with the home button, but luckily Apple have a way around it. Go to settings - general - accessibility - and turn on assistive touch. It basically brings up a virtual home button that does all the same functions of the main one plus a few more. It can be a little intrusive but I think it works very well.

Doesn't that cause a security issue when you're bring up the camera from the lock screen?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 470
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI