Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 1:32:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

How often do people upgrade their computers these days? Will 4 year old PC's run Windows 8 for example?

Yup actually has less system requirements than Windows 7

So how often do folk buy new PC's then? Every 5 years? I'm hoping to upgrade mine next Summer, which would make my current computer 4 years old at that point. My previous laptop was bought in 2005 and lasted me 'til the end of 2008. My point being that a 3-4 year life cycle for a laptop is pretty good, especially when you consider how long it's used for (on average mine is in use for maybe 8 hours a day).

For the record, I wasn't implying that a 4 year old Mac wouldn't run Mountain Lion: according to the minimum requirements it ought to run on any of the Post-Intel computers (post-2007), with a few exceptions. It runs perfectly on our 2009 Pro.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/9/2012 1:34:57 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 421
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 1:55:11 PM   
sanchia

I'm presently running a 4 year old PC and other than a few upgrades (graphics card, RAM) it still works fine on everything but the most demanding of programmes. I am just getting to the point where the Motherboard is starting to get outdated (a bit slow on the processing for multiple tasks that being five or more simultaneous operations) but other than that no problems. As I understand upgrading is the point where a PC is superior to a Mac.

I think I may have a couple of years of life left in it.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 6/9/2012 2:10:26 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 422
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 1:59:21 PM   
shool

quote:

So how often do folk buy new PC's then? Every 5 years?

Businesses about every 3-5 years.

Consumers? I have no idea. I've had my home work horse laptop for 6 years but I guess it would vary significantly from consumer to consumer.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 423
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 2:35:18 PM   
sharkboy

In work, the replacement policy is every 4 years.  As far as my own PC goes (bought in 2007), I won't so much replace it with a new PC as build the obsolencence out of it by upgrading components as and when required.  So far its had a new MB and chip.  In both cases, the spec of the old components would have been more than enough to meet my needs, but the old MB died and I got a decent deal on a board/chip bundle.  I got 10 years out of the old PC by doing the same (although after 10 years the only thing original was the keyboard!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 424
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 9:43:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

In work, the replacement policy is every 4 years.  As far as my own PC goes (bought in 2007), I won't so much replace it with a new PC as build the obsolencence out of it by upgrading components as and when required.  So far its had a new MB and chip.  In both cases, the spec of the old components would have been more than enough to meet my needs, but the old MB died and I got a decent deal on a board/chip bundle.  I got 10 years out of the old PC by doing the same (although after 10 years the only thing original was the keyboard!

4-5 years seems to be the average, at least based on the things Google throws up (like this survey for example click).

I've always chickened out of attempting to upgrade any of my computers myself. I've long been tempted to upgrade the RAM on my current laptop, but am not sure it actually needs it/I'd feel the benefit.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/9/2012 9:44:06 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 425
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 7:42:47 AM   
Marky_Mark

A little surprised that no-one has commented yet on Apple's iPhone 5 announcement from last night....

Or perhaps not? I was glued to a liveblog and still couldn't help but be a little underwhelmed with a meagre set of updates. The biggest 'innovation' seemed to be the half-inch or so of increased screen size. They made a lot out of the new iOS6 features which is shipping to most devices in a couple of weeks anyway. What else?

- improved front-facing camera
- panorama built-in
- improved chip
- LTE (not that it counts for anything in the UK)
- lightning dock connector
- improved network connectivity

That said, my iPhone 4 is starting to creak a little and I probably will upgrade, just not straight away. If I had a 4S there's nothing there to tempt an upgrade.

Did anyone else catch the launch? The official promo vid is up at apple.com.

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 13/9/2012 7:44:17 AM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

Post #: 426
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 5:42:46 PM   
Super Hans

I read about the new products.  I guess the new iPhone must be an improvement but I couldn't help but chuckle after all the hype and huge concept designs that were doing the rounds for months!

I like the look of the new iPods - the Nano looks like a return to form after the dinky no-video jobbie.  That said, I'm thinking of updating my second gen Touch but think I'll go for the 4th gen rather than new one, as I'm not impressed that they've changed the dock connector - I'd rather have one that works with all my docks without having to buy a no doubt overpriced adaptor.

I posted the question in Knowledge base but thought I'd try here too - should I feel confident buying a second hand iPod?  Main concern is whether the battery detoriorates much over the years and whether it would be half fucked by the time I buy it.  Maybe a daft concern but it's one that's put me off buying a used one before!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 427
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 8:13:12 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marky_Mark
A little surprised that no-one has commented yet on Apple's iPhone 5 announcement from last night....

I can't be bothered talking about Apple products in most public forums anymore, due to the sheer volume of vocal and angry dissenters that feel the urge to respond to any and all mention of the brand name (seriously, see any of the Engadget articles from over the past 24 hours).

Wired ran a really great article on the current state of the iPhone. We're now in an age of refinement instead of innovation, which, as a keen and longstanding user of Apple devices I'm used to. As a MacBook Pro user I prefer this approach to one of changing something drastically just for the sake of it, and while I won't be upgrading to the iPhone 5 (my contract still has 9 months to go), I do really like what they've done with it.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 428
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 8:14:51 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

It was announced on Tuesday that 4G is launching in the UK in the near future, through EE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543042

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 429
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 8:16:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I posted the question in Knowledge base but thought I'd try here too - should I feel confident buying a second hand iPod?  Main concern is whether the battery detoriorates much over the years and whether it would be half fucked by the time I buy it.  Maybe a daft concern but it's one that's put me off buying a used one before!

It obviously depends on the person who's owned it before you, but yes, the battery will deteriorate after a couple of years. If the person has looked after it it shouldn't be too noticeable, but that's not something you're really going to be able to know beforehand.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 430
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 8:57:17 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

quote:

It was announced on Tuesday that 4G is launching in the UK in the near future, through EE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543042

Interesting....I did not know that!

Found a great little article on Macworld on whether to upgrade based on what you're upgrading from:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168566/should_you_upgrade_to_the_iphone_5_.html

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

Post #: 431
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 13/9/2012 9:09:43 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

I can't be bothered talking about Apple products in most public forums anymore, due to the sheer volume of vocal and angry dissenters that feel the urge to respond to any and all mention of the brand name (seriously, see any of the Engadget articles from over the past 24 hours).

Wired ran a really great article on the current state of the iPhone. We're now in an age of refinement instead of innovation, which, as a keen and longstanding user of Apple devices I'm used to. As a MacBook Pro user I prefer this approach to one of changing something drastically just for the sake of it, and while I won't be upgrading to the iPhone 5 (my contract still has 9 months to go), I do really like what they've done with it.

It's a good point - to be honest the iPhone design has become a bit of a classic, they've found a look that works so it's only really likely to be the amount of oomph inside that changes now I guess.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I posted the question in Knowledge base but thought I'd try here too - should I feel confident buying a second hand iPod? Main concern is whether the battery detoriorates much over the years and whether it would be half fucked by the time I buy it. Maybe a daft concern but it's one that's put me off buying a used one before!

It obviously depends on the person who's owned it before you, but yes, the battery will deteriorate after a couple of years. If the person has looked after it it shouldn't be too noticeable, but that's not something you're really going to be able to know beforehand.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking really. My 2 year old Touch seems fine battery-wise but then having wrecked a phone years ago (admittedly when batteries were easier to wreck) by overcharging it something chronic, I've been pretty sensible with charging routines. Not sure if it's worth risking it and having to buy another one sooner due to already being on the back foot as far as the battery is concerned.

Post #: 432
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/9/2012 9:48:38 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

The iPhone 5 is basically just a faster, more slick and polished iPhone 4/4S. It's pretty much the perfect phone in my opinion.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 433
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 2:50:20 PM   
Rob

So any thoughts on yesterday's event?

Any iPad 3 owners feeling mighty aggrieved with the 6 month refresh?

I have an iPad 2 and yet for some inexplicable reason I want the iPad mini! I won't be getting one because it would make no sense but still...

As I'm not looking to buy anything at the moment the event didn't didn't have too much for me. I'm a bit surprised that iTunes 11 wasn't released yesterday but I'm sure it will be with us soon.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 434
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:16:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Apple's business is centred around product innovation, i.e. having a healthy pipeline of new gadgets that whet the appetite.

For me, this isn't working. I look at my iPhone 3 and iPad 2 and compare it to the more recent releases and don't feel any urge at all to upgrade. That's good for me as a consumer, but isn't good for Apple as a product innovator.

If you look at the new Windows tablet then they've been quite innovative there, if I were a tech investor I'd be worrying a bit that Apple might be leveling off on the innovation curve. I'd not be at all surprised to see the next gen iPad being more like the Windows device, i.e. having a screen more suited to playing movies and possibly then saving some room by having a roll out key pad (which also suits faster typers, i.e. people who are more used to laptops and want to move away from that).

The mini is a new market. What would worry me there is the price point. It feels high. I can't see anyone other than an Apple completist wanting one if they have the phone and pad. So, that leaves people who haven't the pad (in particular). I think there it could have been considered a "starter" level, e.g. for an older child, but imo Apple have priced themselves out of that category. If I were head of Kindle I'd be breathing a big sigh of relief.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 435
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:27:19 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have an iPad2 and have no interest in upgrading or the mini at all.  The iPad2 does everything I need it to at the moment.  I don't use it as an e-reader (it's rubbish as that imo), I have a Kindle for that (and would stick with the Kindle over an iPad mini).

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 436
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:36:35 PM   
Rob

I certainly don't feel the need to upgrade either. I do use my iPad as my e-reader and honestly never use my Kindle any more - By the way, why do you think it's rubbish as an e-reader Hobbsy?

I think you're right though Prof that they may have the price point of the mini a bit wrong. If you were choosing between the Kindle HD or iPad Mini there's £80 difference which is a lot (basically an extra 50%).

I think ultimately where Apple will continue to win is in the content battle. The Kindle Fire HD looks great but, and I may be wrong, the only way to watch movies is by streaming through your LoveFilm account. The reason I'm so loyal to Apple is because all my content is purchased through iTunes and that means I can watch on every single device.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 437
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:47:11 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think the iPad has +s and -s compared to an eReader (well mine at least a Sony 500).

+
~ Backlit so when my wife goes to sleep I can turn off the light and keep reading. I had a light attachment for the eReader, but it was bulky and cumbersome.
~ Presents material in colour so much better, especially comic books or magazines. So what you want to read is very much a function.
~ Has strong browsing capability. i.e. if I read about something I find interesting and want to read about more on the web I can very easily do that on the same device.

-
~ No good in the sun as there is reflection off the screen making it too hard to read and in strong sun a warning that the temperature is too hot light will quickly come on
~ More tiring on the eye reading from a backlit screen (though I don't think I've ever tried an eInk app on the iPad)
~ For people with ADD like me, then too many other things to be doing on the iPad so instead of just reading a book I jump from a book to magazine to film to surfing to games, etc..

I'd use my iPad as a reader 80% of the time, but would still take my eReader on holiday. I bought my wife an eReader for Christmas last year and she used it a lot. I then bought her an iPad for her birthday in June and she's not picked up the eReader again. The thing I forgot, which is probably personal to me is that when I start a new book I get a great glossy colourful picture of it on my iPad. With the eReader I get some ugly grayscale pixillated thing. A small matter, but it makes starting the book much more welcoming in iPad format imo.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 24/10/2012 3:52:39 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 438
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:49:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

The reason I'm so loyal to Apple is because all my content is purchased through iTunes and that means I can watch on every single device.

Does Apple allow Itunes to be viewed on other mobile formats than their own? I thought it was a bit restrictive in that (possibly very old info though) and equally difficult to view non Itunes stuff on Apple items.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 439
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 3:55:57 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

So any thoughts on yesterday's event?

Any iPad 3 owners feeling mighty aggrieved with the 6 month refresh?

I have an iPad 2 and yet for some inexplicable reason I want the iPad mini! I won't be getting one because it would make no sense but still...

I don feel aggrieved at all, perfectly happy with the 3rd gen, and it's not like its a slouch when it comes to speed, so no problems there, just seems a step to making everything uniform with the new lightening connector. No interest in the iPad mini.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 440
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 4:26:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

~ No good in the sun as there is reflection off the screen making it too hard to read

This.  I did try for a while but just couldn't get on with it.Really struggled when reading in brightly lit places, all I can see is myself in the screen (and I do find that a pain when watching TV shows and films tbh)  The Kindle for me is much more portable.  I don't have the 3G iPad (and don't need it) so wouldn't be using it for anything else, just find it too big.  The Kindle is book sized, that's what I like

Don't get me wrong, for everything else it is Apple.  As I mentioned I watch TV Shows and films on it when travelling and it's great as a PC substitute when away from home (wifi permitting) and I LOVE the Sky+ app for the iPad. 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 441
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 4:27:11 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

The reason I'm so loyal to Apple is because all my content is purchased through iTunes and that means I can watch on every single device.

Does Apple allow Itunes to be viewed on other mobile formats than their own? I thought it was a bit restrictive in that (possibly very old info though) and equally difficult to view non Itunes stuff on Apple items.

iTunes can only be viewed on Apple products.  He probably means on his various Apple devices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 442
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 5:28:34 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

iTunes can only be viewed on Apple products.  He probably means on his various Apple devices

Yeah sorry. That's exactly what I meant.

The biggest issue for me using the iPad as my main eReader is that I am easily distracted and find myself browsing the web when I should be reading.

Post #: 443
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/10/2012 8:07:08 PM   
Super Hans

Seems a bit bad that that's technically now 4 orignal size iPad iterations in 2 and a half years - especially now the first generation seems to have been dumped in the IOS6 update!

iPad mini looks OK but doesn't seem as competitive as the likes of the Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7.

Just bought myself one of the newly released 16gb iPod Touch 4th gen. I honestly don't feel I have a need for a larger Apple touchscreen device (or any tablet really). My 2nd gen one was getting pretty old and slow, plus seemingly quite simple apps were being updated beyond it's capablilties for reasons I can't fathom - Kindle, iBooks, Youtube for instance. I know it's not the 5th gen but I'm hoping it'll be a while before these such apps need anything more than IOS6!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 444
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/10/2012 5:30:47 PM   
Woger

Does anyone have a 4s phone where the battery life seems to be dropping massively?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 445
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/10/2012 6:32:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

My 3 has been mullered on battery since the last upgrade. I was using the alarm on it last week. Went to bed at 11 about 40% charge, woke up at 2ish to check the time, nearly out of charge. I blame the last iOS update. Ended up turning off location and other stuff that might be searching around, but life of a charge is down. Seen this before and the next upgrade sorted it.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 446
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/10/2012 6:38:35 PM   
Woger

Yeah, seems like the iOS 6 might be doing it. Hopefully the next upgrade will sort it. it's losing 20% over night now.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 447
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/10/2012 3:12:33 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I have the iPad3 and can't say I feel aggrieved by the announcement of the iPad4. It does everything I want it to do and can't see myself swapping it for a good few years really....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 448
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/10/2012 4:55:06 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass
 and I LOVE the Sky+ app for the iPad. 

The only downside is you can only get SKY GO on 2 other Apple products.
I have it on my phone, so does the wife, but the kids can't use SKY GO on their Iphones, nor can I put it on my Ipad. Seems a bit annoying, is there any way of getting SKY GO on all of our products?

btw - didn't realise you could get SKY+ on the Ipad!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 449
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/10/2012 5:05:59 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

is there any way of getting SKY GO on all of our products?

At the moment, no

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
btw - didn't realise you could get SKY+ on the Ipad!

Check it out.  Don't tell anyone and then change channels or pause TV from your iPad, confuse them

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI