Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 8:28:48 PM   
James2183

Hmm, I've been offered an iPad1 from a friend for a very cheap price. Are they still worth it, and what's the resale value of it if I don't want it you think?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 391
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 8:30:57 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Hmm, I've been offered an iPad1 from a friend for a very cheap price. Are they still worth it, and what's the resale value of it if I don't want it you think?

If "a very cheap price" is under 200$, then I'd go for it. Otherwise I'd just save a bit more and get an iPad 2, which has already been discounted to 400$.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 392
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 8:45:25 PM   
Darth Marenghi

You've lost weight, YFU.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 393
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 28/3/2012 3:48:41 PM   
adambatman82

If anyone would like to take up iPad insurance at Protect Your Bubble let me know as I've got a referral code that will net both parties a 10 John Lewis gift card. I took out insurance with them last week, it's only 4.88 a month.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 394
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 2/4/2012 9:01:12 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I am curious as to what color iPad people believe to be the best.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 395
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 2/4/2012 9:12:53 PM   
adambatman82

I went for the black one. I have the white iPhone 4.

Post #: 396
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/4/2012 8:54:02 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Both my iPhone and iPad are black. Never had a white product but I wouldn't imagine it makes that much difference does it?

Love the iPad btw, impressive bit of kit!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 397
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/4/2012 3:35:34 PM   
King of Kafiristan

My sister happens to have the WHITE iPhone 4, and I must admit it's pretty attractive. The shade of white is a deeper more pearl like color than you can see in the official photos, and it looks pretty flash (pardon the pun!) on a device like that. My iPad 2? It's black. For me, it was an easy decision.

My thinking: with a white border, your eyes will be drawn to the border and you'll perceive the dimensions of the screen to a greater degree. You'll be looking at a screen with a white frame around it. Where as with a black border, your eyes will automatically go to the screen without distraction, as even the color black on screen will appear lighter than the black glass of the border. This has the effect of making the screen seem larger since you're not paying attention to the physical dimensions of the device.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 7/4/2012 5:29:16 AM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 398
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 3:27:22 AM   
Spaldron

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/23/bad-apple-employ-more-us-workers

quote:

For all the stylishness and sleekness of its products, the Apple business model is an unattractive and, over the long term, possibly an unsustainable one. It subcontracts work that offers the Chinese little prospect of economic development, while at the same time selling to Americans and others products they want but increasingly don't have the jobs or incomes to buy so readily.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 399
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 10:44:08 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/23/bad-apple-employ-more-us-workers

quote:

For all the stylishness and sleekness of its products, the Apple business model is an unattractive and, over the long term, possibly an unsustainable one. It subcontracts work that offers the Chinese little prospect of economic development, while at the same time selling to Americans and others products they want but increasingly don't have the jobs or incomes to buy so readily.

Interesting article.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 400
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 12:36:04 PM   
st3veebee

Can anyone tell me the point in Tablets? Yes you get to touch the screen (which is in some laptops now) and they are generally cheaper...but why not just pick up a laptop/netbook/notebook? Has everything and more.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 401
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 12:54:45 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Can anyone tell me the point in Tablets? Yes you get to touch the screen (which is in some laptops now) and they are generally cheaper...but why not just pick up a laptop/netbook/notebook? Has everything and more.

Extra mobility
Increased Battery Life
Apps

Those are the three reasons for me. When going away for a couple of days we always take the Ipad as its smaller, lighter and can run for about 8 hours. We can take movies and games on it for the kids, plus use it for general browsing etc.

However it is very much a companion product and wouldn't ever replace my PC as my general work horse.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 402
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 1:13:00 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

For me it is the general user experience that is the platforms key selling point. My favourite thing to do on my iPad is reading, and be it kindle books, Empire magazine or comics there really isn't anything quite like it on a laptop/netbook. Internet browsing is an absolute joy too.

As Shool says I don't think its really a case of either/or when it comes to tablet devices, its an accompaniment to the rest of my digital lifestyle. I still use my desktop and laptop as and when, and my smartphone too, but as an additional tool* I love sitting back and spending a few hours in my iPad.

*I do however, think that tablets will eventually become the go-to medium for the casual computer user.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 24/4/2012 1:30:28 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 403
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 1:29:51 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I can appreciate why you've pulled up that quote in particular, but doesn't the reality of the situation prove otherwise? I'd hazard a guess that there isn't a corporation on the planet that wouldn't switch places with Apple right now. I'd also hazard a guess that Apple have considered moving back to the US in greater detail than any industry analyst or researcher, and that for whatever reason it's not economically viable enough to just justify and ultimately, and lawfully, they owe it to their shareholders to do what is most financially attractive. This is how business works, and if you think that the device that you are reading this comment on was produced with any different intention then chances are you're wrong.

What I really don't get is the manner in which Apple are singled out in situations like this. All electronics companies work in this way. I'm not saying that that makes it okay, but this apparent air of supremacy harboured by non-Apple users is hilarious.

Products Foxconn make -

iPad
iPhone
The Samsung Galaxy range of phones and tablets
Wii
X-Box 360
Playstation 3

And companies they work for -

Acer
Amazon
Apple
Cisco
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 404
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 3:20:26 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I can appreciate why you've pulled up that quote in particular, but doesn't the reality of the situation prove otherwise? I'd hazard a guess that there isn't a corporation on the planet that wouldn't switch places with Apple right now. I'd also hazard a guess that Apple have considered moving back to the US in greater detail than any industry analyst or researcher, and that for whatever reason it's not economically viable enough to just justify and ultimately, and lawfully, they owe it to their shareholders to do what is most financially attractive. This is how business works, and if you think that the device that you are reading this comment on was produced with any different intention then chances are you're wrong.

What I really don't get is the manner in which Apple are singled out in situations like this. All electronics companies work in this way. I'm not saying that that makes it okay, but this apparent air of supremacy harboured by non-Apple users is hilarious.

Products Foxconn make -

iPad
iPhone
Wii
X-Box 360
Playstation 3

Acer
Amazon
Apple
Cisco
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba

Amen. That's what I always say. Why is the focus on Apple? They don't even have the worst track record at Foxconn. XBOX 360 workers threatened group suicide.

It's just propaganda to smear Apple and tarnish their reputation, when the truth is no one is clean. At least Apple has industry leading standards of openness.

Post #: 405
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 3:39:51 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

quote:

Interesting article.

Very.

Art

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 406
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 8:14:32 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Products Foxconn make -

iPad
iPhone
Wii
X-Box 360
Playstation 3

Acer
Amazon
Apple
Cisco
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba

Amen. That's what I always say. Why is the focus on Apple? They don't even have the worst track record at Foxconn. XBOX 360 workers threatened group suicide.

It's just propaganda to smear Apple and tarnish their reputation, when the truth is no one is clean. At least Apple has industry leading standards of openness.

Whereas those working on Apple products just did it.

I agree its lubricious to single out Apple but I think it is more of a reaction to the way Apple market their products, the place they inhabit within the market and also as a backlash against Apple fans who can be extremely grating.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 407
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 8:35:22 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled
Whereas those working on Apple products just did it.

As far as I can tell there hasn't been a mass suicide at any Foxconn factory, irregardless of who the products are being produced for. Not sure why you'd say that when it's not the case.

Also the suicide rate at Foxconn is actually 30% lower than the average for Chinese factory workers.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/media-gets-its-facts-wrong-working-at-foxconn-significantly-cuts-suicide-risk/1356

I guess this sort of hysteria baiting is endemic of the shock and awe, celebrity obsessed society in which we now live. Cunts love scandal, can't get enough of it, even when its largely made up and makes the person taken in by it look a little bit silly.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 24/4/2012 8:36:29 PM >

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 408
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 8:51:40 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I wasn't talking about mass suicide I was drawing the line between threatening mass suicide and individuals who have actually killed themselves.

EDIT: Thanks for the edit, didn't appreciate the insinuation that I was a cunt, whether it was intended or not.

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 24/4/2012 8:52:45 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 409
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 24/4/2012 9:10:22 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

EDIT: Thanks for the edit, didn't appreciate the insinuation that I was a cunt, whether it was intended or not.

I didn't actually edit any of that bit, I was actually clarifying the wording of my statistics about factory workers.

Just to clarify though, I'm not referring to anyone specifically in this thread as a cunt.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 410
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 25/4/2012 12:35:14 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

At least Apple has industry leading standards of openness.

I know context is king, but that statement amuses me no end.

Post #: 411
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 18/7/2012 9:31:18 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Apple are reportedly using a different technology for the new iPhone screens:

Clicky!

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 412
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 31/8/2012 11:16:58 AM   
sharkboy

For those that were following the Apple - v- Samsung case and the recent $1bn award against Samsung:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19425052

Now, I confess to not having followed the legal arguments that closely, but from what I can read in the reaction to this, the juror appears to have completely misinterpreted certain technical matters to the rest of the jury, swaying them towards his opinion that Apple should win the case.  A kind of anti-Fonda if you like.  His frivolous dismissal of Samsung's prior art claim seems to fly in the face of the jurors' instructions in this regard at the start of the trial:

quote:

Here is a list of the ways that either party can show that a patent claim was not new:

If the claimed invention was already publicly known or publicly used by others in the United States before the date of conception of the claimed invention;

If the claimed invention was already patented or described in a printed publication anywhere in the world before the date of conception of the claimed invention. A reference is a "printed publication" if it is accessible to those interested in the field, even if it is difficult to find;

If the claimed invention was already made by someone else in the United States before the date of conception of the claimed invention, if that other person had not abandoned the invention or kept it secret;
If the patent holder and the alleged infringer dispute who is a first inventor, the person who first conceived of the claimed invention and first reduced it to practice is the first inventor. If one person conceived of the claimed invention first, but reduced to practice second, that person is the first inventor only if that person (a) began to reduce the claimed invention to practice before the other party conceived of it, and (b) continued to work diligently to reduce it to practice. A claimed invention is "reduced to practice" when it has been tested sufficiently to show that it will work for its intended purpose or when it is fully described in a patent application filed with the PTO.

If the claimed invention was already described in another issued U.S. patent or published U.S. patent application that was based on a patent application filed before the patent holders application filing date or the date of conception of the claimed invention.

Since certain of them are in dispute, you must determine dates of conception for the claimed inventions and prior inventions. Conception is the mental part of an inventive act and is proven when the invention is shown in its complete form by drawings, disclosure to another, or other forms of evidence presented at trial.

Look at that bit in bold, then look at the evidence submitted as evidence of prior art by Samsung:

Anyone else starting to find this a strange decision?  At the very least, the appeal should prove very interesting!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 413
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/9/2012 9:38:57 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 414
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/9/2012 9:52:26 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

For those that were following the Apple - v- Samsung case and the recent $1bn award against Samsung:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19425052

Now, I confess to not having followed the legal arguments that closely, but from what I can read in the reaction to this, the juror appears to have completely misinterpreted certain technical matters to the rest of the jury, swaying them towards his opinion that Apple should win the case.  A kind of anti-Fonda if you like.  His frivolous dismissal of Samsung's prior art claim seems to fly in the face of the jurors' instructions in this regard at the start of the trial:

quote:

Here is a list of the ways that either party can show that a patent claim was not new:

If the claimed invention was already publicly known or publicly used by others in the United States before the date of conception of the claimed invention;

If the claimed invention was already patented or described in a printed publication anywhere in the world before the date of conception of the claimed invention. A reference is a "printed publication" if it is accessible to those interested in the field, even if it is difficult to find;

If the claimed invention was already made by someone else in the United States before the date of conception of the claimed invention, if that other person had not abandoned the invention or kept it secret;
If the patent holder and the alleged infringer dispute who is a first inventor, the person who first conceived of the claimed invention and first reduced it to practice is the first inventor. If one person conceived of the claimed invention first, but reduced to practice second, that person is the first inventor only if that person (a) began to reduce the claimed invention to practice before the other party conceived of it, and (b) continued to work diligently to reduce it to practice. A claimed invention is "reduced to practice" when it has been tested sufficiently to show that it will work for its intended purpose or when it is fully described in a patent application filed with the PTO.

If the claimed invention was already described in another issued U.S. patent or published U.S. patent application that was based on a patent application filed before the patent holder's application filing date or the date of conception of the claimed invention.

Since certain of them are in dispute, you must determine dates of conception for the claimed inventions and prior inventions. Conception is the mental part of an inventive act and is proven when the invention is shown in its complete form by drawings, disclosure to another, or other forms of evidence presented at trial.

Look at that bit in bold, then look at the evidence submitted as evidence of prior art by Samsung:

Anyone else starting to find this a strange decision?  At the very least, the appeal should prove very interesting!

I'd looked at the Apple justification pics which that juror used as back-up for what he did and wasn't sure why non-touchscreen phones were being used as the Samsung comparison. If you have a touchscreen, won't you want a full screen phone?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 415
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/9/2012 7:46:32 PM   
sanchia

Future trouble for Apple?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 416
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/9/2012 8:39:05 PM   
jon5000

So, after a mere 4 years as a Mac user, one new internal harddrive and several system restores later, I have recently found out my iMac is now effectively obsolete and that in order to keep up to date with current software requirements, it would be 'cheaper in the long run' to spend another 1500 'or so' on a new one.

With this in mind, coupled with their recent ruthless exploitation of patent laws, I have come to the conclusion that Apple are all of the evils of capitalism incarnate and that Steve Jobs was actually the spawn of Satan all along.

I want to be a PC again.

And I hope the rot begins to set in with this lawsuit and it backfires over their greedy faces.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 417
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 12:05:20 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

So, after a mere 4 years as a Mac user, one new internal harddrive and several system restores later, I have recently found out my iMac is now effectively obsolete and that in order to keep up to date with current software requirements, it would be 'cheaper in the long run' to spend another 1500 'or so' on a new one.

My 2005 Intel iMac still runs fine. Granted, I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion (haven't been able to jump to a new OS for several years), but I wouldn't describe it as "obsolete" in any real-world sense.

How often do people upgrade their computers these days? Will 4 year old PC's run Windows 8 for example?

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 418
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 1:05:44 PM   
shool

quote:

How often do people upgrade their computers these days? Will 4 year old PC's run Windows 8 for example?

Yup actually has less system requirements than Windows 7

Post #: 419
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/9/2012 1:28:46 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

Yup actually has less system requirements than Windows 7

Zing!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI