Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 2:42:06 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

Decided to take the plunge on the new iPad tonight, and order one only to find that its now stuck on back order for 2-3 weeks. Rubbish. It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks.

Good on you! Sometimes the wait can be part of the fun, as you check status updates and track your iPad through the provinces of China all the way to your front door.

Will this be your first iPad? Did you opt for the free engraving? What accessories have you selected, or will you hold off till you have a better idea of what you might find useful?

First iPad yeah, used Apple products since 1999 though (currently running a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iMac). I've been sitting back and waiting on the iPad for some time now (you can see my anticipation for the first generation one way back in this thread), but feel like I finally have a legitimate use for one in the shape of e-publishing. I'm a big kindle fan, and have finally decided to put together a "family" of digital options for a book I'm working on at the moment. The focus on text books at Apple at the moment, coupled with the really simple to use production software means that I can put together something really ambitious for relatively little financial investment. The first stage of the project has cost us less than 1000 (and thats including the cost of the iPad), and we've already covered that on pre-orders alone!

Not bought any accessories yet, looking to get a Moleskine case for it next week though.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. It's wise you waited if you plan to use it for development, as now you'll be able to test for compatibility with the new screen resolution when putting together your eBook!

(BTW: earlier in this thread I put together a list of accessories that I've endorsed, there are some good options there for carrying cases, ETC!)

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 361
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 5:10:10 PM   
Spaldron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17397908

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 362
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 5:54:42 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17397908

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" - Sun Tzu, THE ART OF WAR

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 363
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 9:30:41 PM   
adambatman82

This American Life have retracted an episode of their show in which some claims made against Apple and Foxxconn turned out to be made up by the host.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/16/this-american-life-issues-retraction-episode-over-foxconn-repo/

Post #: 364
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 9:36:46 PM   
sam89

Got my new iPad last night. I'd already preordered (with a delivery date of April 2nd), but I popped down to Tesco at midnight and asked whether they had any and - to my surprise - they did! I swiftly cancelled my preorder

The new screen is definitely amazing.

Post #: 365
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 9:39:22 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

This American Life have retracted an episode of their show in which some claims made against Apple and Foxxconn turned out to be made up by the host.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/16/this-american-life-issues-retraction-episode-over-foxconn-repo/

Not even surprised. This whole Foxconn thing has been a campaign to smear APPLE from day one. Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, Dell, the rest, all use FOXCONN labor, and at least APPLE has a industry leading policy of openness and ethics that governs it's involvement with these manufacturing firms.

The bizarre focus on Apple's role in china can only be explained by the fact that powerful interests seek to tarnish the company's reputation. FOXCONN workers threatened mass suicide at an XBOX plant last fall, and yet all the press talk is still about APPLE's allegedly terrible factory conditions.

It is up to the citizens of China to demand regulations to protect their safety, and that what regulations already exist are enforced with the full power of the law. Apple is not in charge of a communist police state, which is where the blame for these problems ultimately must go.

EDIT: in all seriousness, I'd sign up for a FOXCONN job tomorrow if one were made available. I wouldn't do it for the rest of my life, but it would be an adventure, and I'd be proud to be a part of the team that turns Apple's designs into products that enrich the lives of millions across the globe. They are well paid, live with discipline, and lead their lives governed by a sense of purpose and duty.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 16/3/2012 9:50:49 PM >

Post #: 366
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 9:39:51 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

Got my new iPad last night. I'd already preordered (with a delivery date of April 2nd), but I popped down to Tesco at midnight and asked whether they had any and - to my surprise - they did! I swiftly cancelled my preorder

The new screen is definitely amazing.

Good on you!

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 367
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 16/3/2012 11:52:02 PM   
adambatman82

The complete transcript of the Foxconn retraction is online.

http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/special/TAL_460_Retraction_Transcript.pdf

It's a lengthy read but a good one too. Many of the things that are associated with Apple and Foxconn, such as armed security guards were simply made up by the guy. Its a shame, because the real issues within the system and the situation are now being overshadowed by the scandal-mongering of a guy with nothing more than an anti-Apple agenda.

Post #: 368
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 17/3/2012 12:18:55 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

The complete transcript of the Foxconn retraction is online.

http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/special/TAL_460_Retraction_Transcript.pdf

It's a lengthy read but a good one too. Many of the things that are associated with Apple and Foxconn, such as armed security guards were simply made up by the guy. Its a shame, because the real issues within the system and the situation are now being overshadowed by the scandal-mongering of a guy with nothing more than an anti-Apple agenda.

I ask myself what can account for this concerted effort to tear down APPLE and all it stands for. Why people lie and froth at the mouth with fantastic scenarios packed with armed guards and Foxconn torture camps. I can only think that there are people who are deeply insecure that the technology they are best able to use, most familiar with, the PC, is in fact second rate and no longer recognized as the best system for computing. They are insecure that the so called 'hip' crowd loves APPLE, and they are on the outside looking in as the computer industry undergoes it's most profound revolution since silicon replaced punch cards.

That, and the fact that the enemies of Steve Jobs are multi billion dollar corporations, corporations unable to compete on a level playing field, unable to out design, to out cool Apple. So, in their desperation, they play dirty politics hoping to dupe the public in a frantic bid to sell their shoddy, undercooked wares.

I look at this outright attack perpetrated against APPLE, and I can only paraphrase Charlie Young's quote from the WEST WING: when they come after you, you know you must be doing something right.

EDIT: RE: "Mike Daisey" (alias?): just whose man is he? Where does his money come from? Just who may have assisted in the financing of this smear campaign? He titled his propaganda "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs", and performed it while Mr Jobs was in literal agony, riddled with cancer. As Jobs body fought the tumors, Daisey was telling everyone who would listen that Apple had poisoned dozens of people, when in fact these poison victims didn't exist at all. What sort of man dedicates himself to such an enterprise? A man without character, class or conscience - capable of any manner of duplicity. Let's hope that top people are looking with a keen and focused eye into this chiseler's record at this very moment.

It's quite telling that he states he embarked on his vendetta of lies only after media coverage of an isolated series of worker suicides at a single FOXCONN campus* began to die down. Curious timing, that. Where I come from that sort of curious is known as suspicious.

*easily explained by a frequent and well known phenomena where one suicide can spark more within a community - that, and the fact these people lived in China

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 17/3/2012 1:16:06 AM >

Post #: 369
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/3/2012 11:21:52 AM   
Jules

http://newsthump.com/2012/03/07/ipad-3-to-come-pre-coated-in-fan-boy-ejaculate/

Never underestimate the power of denial

Post #: 370
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/3/2012 11:45:12 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jules

http://newsthump.com/2012/03/07/ipad-3-to-come-pre-coated-in-fan-boy-ejaculate/

Awesome!

I don't see any need to upgrade from my Ipad 1 to be honest. It runs IOS 5.x fine and all apps and browsing. I have no need for a camera or a higher resolution screen at this time.

1 major gripe for browsing is adblocking. Safari doesn't seem to support it and I have a passionate dislike of banner ads and pop ups. Any ideas?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Jules)
Post #: 371
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/3/2012 1:05:18 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

1 major gripe for browsing is adblocking. Safari doesn't seem to support it and I have a passionate dislike of banner ads and pop ups. Any ideas?

I have this problem too, but from the other side. I'm actually in a position where I specifically don't have adverts on my site, at a cost to me, yet when the site is viewed on any mobile platform it has them. I was horrified to discover that there was an advert for Wonga on there the other day. I'm not sure how to go about removing them either.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 372
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/3/2012 5:32:20 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Just wanted to share some quick thoughts on the latest version of iOS, since I'm bored at work and I've got APPLE on my mind:

iOS 5 is pretty much everything I hoped it could be. The ease of use and intuitive nature of iPad navigation increased a hundred fold. No longer did I have to adjust how I was holding the device simply to reach the HOME BUTTON and or switch the APPS. The FIVE FINGER PINCH I mastered as soon as I updated (I think I'd spent so much time thinking about that one I'd already internalized the gesture), and others I have now perfected as well.

It is so much fun swiping and pinching my way around the desktop and the web. I feel so cool pulling off the gestures with ease and almost no thought, and features like TABBED BROWSING work even better than I could have imagined too.

With that said...

It was with a heavy heart I first took notice of the elimination of the iPod APP ICON from my iPad's HOME SCREEN. I assume this change effects iPhones running iOS 5 as well. Apple's ICONS are uniformly gorgeous, but I've always had a soft spot for the classy orange iPod APP ICON, with it's faint diagonal color bars in the background and the iconic iPod outline in white:

The iPod APP ICON dates back to 2007 and Steve Jobs' unveiling of the iPhone. He made history that day, and if you'll recall, initially the iPhone rumors were for a far lesser device, one crippled with a CLICKWHEEL. Jobs broke the news of just what sort of device APPLE had created by first telling the audience He was there to introduce three new products: a widescreen iPod with touch controls, a phone, and a break through Internet communicator. Like a mantra, Mr Jobs began to chant "an iPod! A phone! An Internet communicator!" before at last, his voice rising to a thundering roar, "do you get it?"

To discard that history, for the comparatively bland MUSIC APP ICON from the iPod TOUCH, just strikes me as a mistake

It's not an earth shattering miscalculation, but it stings all the same

PS: .... not to mention that iPod is a better description of what the APP does and the content found inside than simply "music". Most of the content in my new "MUSIC" APP is actually audiobooks, podcasts and video podcasts

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 19/3/2012 5:34:10 PM >

Post #: 373
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 19/3/2012 8:29:43 PM   
Jules

^

< Message edited by Jules -- 24/6/2012 11:00:01 PM >

Never underestimate the power of denial

Post #: 374
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 20/3/2012 11:49:13 AM   
shool

I'm amazed to hear that Foxcon is 10th largest employer world wide! I know they make more than Ipads, but I was surprised nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17429786

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"
Post #: 375
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 21/3/2012 4:39:56 AM   
Spaldron

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707209.stm

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 376
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 21/3/2012 4:45:14 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

I definitely don't agree with the dividends being paid out. If Jobs were alive, he'd never have allowed it. APPLE needs that cash to fund R&D and dominate it's enemies. Obviously this is not the 1990s, but still, every last dollar in APPLE's coffers should be used towards furthering the company's ends, not rewarding fair weather shareholders.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 377
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/3/2012 10:17:31 AM   
Rob

I think they've got enough cash to do both!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 378
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/3/2012 12:52:21 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

I definitely don't agree with the dividends being paid out. If Jobs were alive, he'd never have allowed it. APPLE needs that cash to fund R&D and dominate it's enemies. Obviously this is not the 1990s, but still, every last dollar in APPLE's coffers should be used towards furthering the company's ends, not rewarding fair weather shareholders.

Yes but a dividend will also increase the share price, making it more attractive to investors and ensure the money is still rolling in.

Plus this:

quote:

If Jobs were alive, he'd never have allowed it. APPLE needs that cash to fund R&D and dominate it's enemies 

Dude, seriously take a step back will you?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 379
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/3/2012 7:51:08 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Had a scan round a few local shops yesterday but couldn't find one so I ordered over the web. Hopefully get my iPad on the 4th April. Looking forward to having a play....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 380
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/3/2012 9:26:45 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I think they've got enough cash to do both!

Yeah, just a bit!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 381
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 22/3/2012 11:18:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Had a scan round a few local shops yesterday but couldn't find one so I ordered over the web. Hopefully get my iPad on the 4th April. Looking forward to having a play....

I cancelled my online order today having eventually got one in the Apple store this evening. I've spent the last hour fine-tuning my iCloud stuff, so now everything is rolling around in cyber-space together, my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro living in perfect harmony!

Speaking of which, I'm currently typing this on my MacBook Pro. It's the current model but one, and is essentially their top model for its size (15 inch), but, and try wade through the hyperbole here, the screen on this is nothing compared to the iPad. I've never seen anything like it.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 382
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 23/3/2012 1:52:15 PM   
Rob

I don't even want to have a look at the new iPad as it will just make me jealous.

Aside from the new iPhone and a potential TV (more likely 2013) what I'd really like to see from Apple this year is an iTunes overhaul. It's never been the fastest or most customisable application and there's plenty of room for improvements but want I really want is a big push on iTunes store content. Things have been improving on that side with Movies in the cloud and HD films but they should really get a few more agreements in place with the likes of HBO / Sky Atlantic, Showtime and others enabling it to be a one stop shop for all TV, Film, Book and Music needs.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 383
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/3/2012 7:05:26 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

I cancelled my online order today having eventually got one in the Apple store this evening. I've spent the last hour fine-tuning my iCloud stuff, so now everything is rolling around in cyber-space together, my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro living in perfect harmony!

Speaking of which, I'm currently typing this on my MacBook Pro. It's the current model but one, and is essentially their top model for its size (15 inch), but, and try wade through the hyperbole here, the screen on this is nothing compared to the iPad. I've never seen anything like it.

Well I received an email today saying it's been dispatched and should be here on 28th, fingers crossed

Post #: 384
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/3/2012 8:46:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I received an email today saying it's been dispatched and should be here on 28th, fingers crossed

Exciting stuff. I'm very impressed with it.

Post #: 385
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 26/3/2012 10:50:01 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

quote:

quote:

From China with love! Congrats

Post #: 386
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 7:04:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

It actually arrived today

Who's this? Yes, it's Naked iPad man!

Post #: 387
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 7:12:27 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

It actually arrived today

Who's this? Yes, it's Naked iPad man!

Yes, but why naked iPad man?

Post #: 388
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 7:26:14 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Of all people I thought you would approve.....

Post #: 389
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 27/3/2012 7:59:22 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I just was curious what the explanation might be

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI