Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Apple's big announcement.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 6:29:46 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

King of Kafristan, can I suggest that perhaps you listen to some other posters here when the explain why they prefer a PC?

And listening as in "LISTENING" (I know you're fond of RANDOM caps LOCK) and not responding along the lines of "Well, here's where you are wrong".

I really like Apple. I love my iPhone but to think that Apple are some saintly organistaion is fairly naive. As I said whilst I love my iPhone it's clear that Apple's business model in bringing out new models every 18-24 months is not to be the benefit of the customer but to the benefit of the bottom line, let's just keep this in mind yeah?

Keyser,

Thank you for your most helpful suggestions. I'll do my best to take them to heart. With that said, I do already make an effort to listen to people and respond as best I'm able to their statements. Further, my use of the CAPS LOCK is anything but random. There is a method to my use of capital letters, and I hope you'll take that on faith.

As for APPLE, I wouldn't call them saintly, but they do have my unwavering, full-throated support.

With regards to Apple's business strategy, I'm genuinely curious why you take issue. They don't release superfluous models, trying to constantly gouge their consumers with slightly better versions of existing hardware, trying to force people into unnecessary upgrades. When they do put out what they consider to be an 'upgraded' version of an existing product, they specify this with their naming conventions: this year's model was iPhone 4S, rather than iPhone 5 (even though the iPhone 5 name would have resulted in no doubt substantially increased sales). Jobs saw that the only way for Apple to survive was to pare down the product line, and focus on perfecting everything it did actually ship. This has lead to great dividends, both in terms of the companies financial standing, and the relationship they've developed with consumers. People get excited about iPad 3 because they are confident it really will be a big change from what we have now. Like Jony Ives said of the iPad 2: "I can't think of another product that has come alone, defined an entire category, and then been redesigned from the ground up in such a short period of time"

If there had been an iPad 2.1, 2.2, ETC, there would be confusion in the market, and everyone would be worse off in the end. The long product cycles give them the time to engineer and test their products as close to perfection as possible, while utilizing their mastery of their supply chain to help build parts in bulk and keep down costs. In the end, everyone wins (IMHO!)

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 5/3/2012 6:30:05 PM >

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 301
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 6:29:48 PM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum
really?
I mean when I can get a desktop spec'd up identically (save for the shiny case) to the base Mac Pro for around 1300 less than apples base price with a 12 month warranty. (and as it's identical, also runs OSX) tell me how that provides value for money? and this is a one man band, buying the components at retail price, even on the economy of scale alone apple should be able to undercut this operation., yet the price difference is 1300

another case in point, you remember the Ipod classic, and how it's got video out. Apple sold an adaptor for about 20 IIRC that would connect up to your tv, according to them it was the only way to connect the two things. Except that wasn't completely true, all the apple adaptor was, was a mini jack to RCA adaptor, with the outputs wired differently. it's hardly indicative of a company providing value, it's more indicative of a company trying to rip off their customers as much as possible.

but then again, I believe the saying goes, if you're a computer professional you use linux; if you're computer literate, you use windows; if you get confused by having more than one mouse button, you get an apple.

Do you have an example of an identically spec'd computer to a Macbook Pro? With details of the specs, etc.?

Also, surely you can't have acquired OS X legally. No Microsoft computer comes with applications of the quality of Garageband, iMovie, etc. built in. You're paying for the software as well as the hardware.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 302
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 6:31:11 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

quote:

really?
I mean when I can get a desktop spec'd up identically (save for the shiny case) to the base Mac Pro for around 1300 less than apples base price with a 12 month warranty. (and as it's identical, also runs OSX) tell me how that provides value for money? and this is a one man band, buying the components at retail price, even on the economy of scale alone apple should be able to undercut this operation., yet the price difference is 1300

another case in point, you remember the Ipod classic, and how it's got video out. Apple sold an adaptor for about 20 IIRC that would connect up to your tv, according to them it was the only way to connect the two things. Except that wasn't completely true, all the apple adaptor was, was a mini jack to RCA adaptor, with the outputs wired differently. it's hardly indicative of a company providing value, it's more indicative of a company trying to rip off their customers as much as possible.

but then again, I believe the saying goes, if you're a computer professional you use linux; if you're computer literate, you use windows; if you get confused by having more than one mouse button, you get an apple.

Do you have an example of an identically spec'd computer to a Macbook Pro? With details of the specs, etc.?

Also, surely you can't have acquired OS X legally. No Microsoft computer comes with applications of the quality of Garageband, iMovie, etc. built in. You're paying for the software as well as the hardware.

Software piracy is not an acceptable solution to a computer you view to be overpriced, Chief Wiggum... I'm disappointed, this coming from an officer of the law...

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 303
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 6:43:21 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

King of Kafristan, can I suggest that perhaps you listen to some other posters here when the explain why they prefer a PC?

And listening as in "LISTENING" (I know you're fond of RANDOM caps LOCK) and not responding along the lines of "Well, here's where you are wrong".

I really like Apple. I love my iPhone but to think that Apple are some saintly organistaion is fairly naive. As I said whilst I love my iPhone it's clear that Apple's business model in bringing out new models every 18-24 months is not to be the benefit of the customer but to the benefit of the bottom line, let's just keep this in mind yeah?

Keyser,

Thank you for your most helpful suggestions. I'll do my best to take them to heart. With that said, I do already make an effort to listen to people and respond as best I'm able to their statements. Further, my use of the CAPS LOCK is anything but random. There is a method to my use of capital letters, and I hope you'll take that on faith.

As for APPLE, I wouldn't call them saintly, but they do have my unwavering, full-throated support.

With regards to Apple's business strategy, I'm genuinely curious why you take issue. They don't release superfluous models, trying to constantly gouge their consumers with slightly better versions of existing hardware, trying to force people into unnecessary upgrades. When they do put out what they consider to be an 'upgraded' version of an existing product, they specify this with their naming conventions: this year's model was iPhone 4S, rather than iPhone 5 (even though the iPhone 5 name would have resulted in no doubt substantially increased sales). Jobs saw that the only way for Apple to survive was to pare down the product line, and focus on perfecting everything it did actually ship. This has lead to great dividends, both in terms of the companies financial standing, and the relationship they've developed with consumers. People get excited about iPad 3 because they are confident it really will be a big change from what we have now. Like Jony Ives said of the iPad 2: "I can't think of another product that has come alone, defined an entire category, and then been redesigned from the ground up in such a short period of time"

If there had been an iPad 2.1, 2.2, ETC, there would be confusion in the market, and everyone would be worse off in the end. The long product cycles give them the time to engineer and test their products as close to perfection as possible, while utilizing their mastery of their supply chain to help build parts in bulk and keep down costs. In the end, everyone wins (IMHO!)

Are you sure about this?..The difference between iPhone 3g & 3GS and also between 4 & 4s wasn't exactly earth shattering. If Apple genuinely wanted to benefit the customer what they would do is exactly what we are talking about. They would not release "in between" models at all. This isn't to criticise them for it, it works brilliantly because the marketing strategy (which many have bought into) is built around early adopters of the technology coupled with the inherent smugness of being the first to buy.

Again, Apple shouldn't have to apologise for it because they are a commercial company which is about primarily 1 thing. Money. No shame in it at all but sometimes people (not saying you per se) seem to forget this. Apple make products. That's all, nothing more nothing less. To listen to some you would think they are discovering, refining, shipping and distributing the cure for Cancer.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 304
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 7:09:12 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

there are plenty about - if you look at a site called tonymacx86 you can see details of suggested builds - there's details on Lifehacker as well on life with a "hackintosh" that basically kicks the arse of any other mac that the writer has owned, which cost the writer $753

As for the acquiring legally - they are talking about legally acquired, paid for software, and specifically a bought copy of Lion from either Apple.com or an apple store.

you have to violate an extremely strict EULA, but that's about it.

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 5/3/2012 7:11:07 PM >

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 305
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 7:21:28 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

Are you sure about this?..The difference between iPhone 3g & 3GS and also between 4 & 4s wasn't exactly earth shattering. If Apple genuinely wanted to benefit the customer what they would do is exactly what we are talking about. They would not release "in between" models at all. This isn't to criticise them for it, it works brilliantly because the marketing strategy (which many have bought into) is built around early adopters of the technology coupled with the inherent smugness of being the first to buy.

Again, Apple shouldn't have to apologise for it because they are a commercial company which is about primarily 1 thing. Money. No shame in it at all but sometimes people (not saying you per se) seem to forget this. Apple make products. That's all, nothing more nothing less. To listen to some you would think they are discovering, refining, shipping and distributing the cure for Cancer.

Your line about the cure for cancer cracked me up. Good show. For many of us out there, an Apple launch day is certainly an event for the history books

Anyway, I view the 4S, ETC, to be a perfectly logical product to take to market. It's not like they just added a new color or released a "limited edition" model or something. With regards to iPhones sold with the 'S' suffix, Apple has never sold them as devices that blow last year's offering out of the water. The tone of the pitch is usually geared towards fence sitters, people looking for a reason to upgrade from their two or three year old model. They try and incorporate worthwhile hardware/software additions, since they know that the next big leap forward (iPhone 5) isn't ready (or cost effective to produce) yet, but they see no reason to sit on developments such as better camera lenses ETC in the mean time. It all seems very reasonable to me, but that's just one person's perspective. I think it's all in the name. They could very well hype up the 4s at the next big thing if they wanted, and make even more money, but instead, they present it as what it is: an iPhone with several updates that are not to be sneezed at. It seems like an honest way to do business.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 5/3/2012 7:32:03 PM >

Post #: 306
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 7:26:08 PM   
shool

Apples main flaw in my opinion is they dont address the mid to low end of the market. An Iphone costs 500 an Ipod costs 500 a Macbook costs well over a thousand quid.

They seem content to address the premium user, wheras as chief says there are other options out there (As Chief says) which give equivalent or greater functionality (In terms of the Ipad at least) for a much more competitive price. Windows 8 FTW.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 307
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 7:36:19 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Apples main flaw in my opinion is they dont address the mid to low end of the market. An Iphone costs 500 an Ipod costs 500 a Macbook costs well over a thousand quid.

They seem content to address the premium user, wheras as chief says there are other options out there (As Chief says) which give equivalent or greater functionality (In terms of the Ipad at least) for a much more competitive price. Windows 8 FTW.

Fair enough, and you're entitled to think Apple should be trying to offer something for everyone, but as a result of their financial troubles in the 90s they had to reduce their product line, and it's just not really in their philosophy to build anything other than what they consider to be the 'ultimate' machine in a given category. What I'd say to you is this: Apple forces everyone else to raise their game, and so in the end, everyone benefits. Before the iPhone, how many phones were as intuitive, as capable, as the device that kicked off the touch screen revolution? Now there are many imitators, and while we can argue about their relative merits compared to what Apple continues to put out, we can all agree (I'd hope) that phones in general have gotten better (and more consumer friendly) in direct response to Apple's entry into the marketplace.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 308
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 8:14:01 PM   
sam89

quote:

quote:

there are plenty about - if you look at a site called tonymacx86 you can see details of suggested builds - there's details on Lifehacker as well on life with a "hackintosh" that basically kicks the arse of any other mac that the writer has owned, which cost the writer $753

As for the acquiring legally - they are talking about legally acquired, paid for software, and specifically a bought copy of Lion from either Apple.com or an apple store.

you have to violate an extremely strict EULA, but that's about it.

Well the difference with a Mac is that it comes put together, rather than having to assemble it from scratch. Most people don't want to or aren't able to assemble a computer on their own. So you're paying for $753 worth of equipment + the price of assembling the computer + the software + the aluminium body. And then on top of that Apple obviously has to make a profit.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 309
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 5/3/2012 8:40:58 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

Well the difference with a Mac is that it comes put together, rather than having to assemble it from scratch. Most people don't want to or aren't able to assemble a computer on their own. So you're paying for $753 worth of equipment + the price of assembling the computer + the software + the aluminium body. And then on top of that Apple obviously has to make a profit.

yes but bear in mind that $753 does not equal 700 - for that extra bit of cash there are places where you can buy a pre-built, tested PC with OSX installed already. and with a 12 month warranty.

and a fully licensed win 7 install as well (it's only 600 if you just want Lion)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 310
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/3/2012 9:59:42 AM   
shool

quote:

What I'd say to you is this: Apple forces everyone else to raise their game, and so in the end, everyone benefits. Before the iPhone, how many phones were as intuitive, as capable, as the device that kicked off the touch screen revolution? Now there are many imitators, and while we can argue about their relative merits compared to what Apple continues to put out, we can all agree (I'd hope) that phones in general have gotten better (and more consumer friendly) in direct response to Apple's entry into the marketplace.

This i would wholeheartedly agree with and why competition in any industry is a GOOD thing.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

Post #: 311
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/3/2012 4:42:53 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

Why should they address the mid to low end of the Market? If they choose not to then thats their business and from what i can see business is booming. And this is from a guy who can't afford apple products

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 312
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 6/3/2012 11:36:25 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I can scarcely believe that tomorrow, less than 24 hours from now, the Year of iPad 3 will have at long last begun. Steve Jobs apparently had already planned out in minute detail APPLE's product line for these next five years. He designed the iPad 3 in collaboration with Jony Ive and the APPLE TEAM. As was said of Jobs in his Official Biography, at Apple he alone was allowed the privilege of magisterially deciding what was meaningful and what was trivial, and in so doing decided this for everyone who used an Apple product. Tomorrow, from beyond the veil of death, comes new, tangible insight into Jobs unique vision. I for one can hardly wait to see what future the dawn will bring.

BTW: I still maintain that iPad 3 will be known as iPad 3D, and use glasses free 3D technology.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 7/3/2012 7:53:22 AM >

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 313
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 11:19:19 AM   
shool

quote:

I can scarcely believe that tomorrow, less than 24 hours from now, the Year of iPad 3 will have at long last begun. Steve Jobs apparently had already planned out in minute detail APPLE's product line for these next five years. He designed the iPad 3 in collaboration with Jony Ive and the APPLE TEAM. As was said of Jobs in his Official Biography, at Apple he alone was allowed the privilege of magisterially deciding what was meaningful and what was trivial, and in so doing decided this for everyone who used an Apple product. Tomorrow, from beyond the veil of death, comes new, tangible insight into Jobs unique vision. I for one can hardly wait to see what future the dawn will bring.

BTW: I still maintain that iPad 3 will be known as iPad 3D, and use glasses free 3D technology.

Sorry, but this post made me laugh.
Your language makes it sound like the coming of the messiah rather than a technology release.

Post #: 314
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 11:37:01 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

quote:

Your language makes it sound like the coming of the messiah rather than a technology release.

Someone once said, "If you want to make a lot of money you start a religion."

That someone was L. Ron Hubbard: founder and chief prophet of the Church of Scientology.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 315
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 11:55:38 AM   
Rob

quote:

quote:

I cast you out you non-believer!

I love Apple products and get excited by the launches but I'm a bit scarred by King's post! That said if the words were spoken by voice-over man it could make for a really EPIC trailer "From beyond the veil of death...."

And for the record I think the chances of it being a 3D version are pretty much zero. I guess we'll find out who's right when "The year of the iPad 3 begins..."

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 316
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 12:05:29 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 317
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 1:09:10 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

I am beginning to wonder if King of Kafiristan is in fact Steve Jobs flogging his wares from beyond the grave...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 318
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 2:18:51 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

This scares me. You really that excited by the release of iPad3? Also, what if iPad3 is a bunch of shit? Also, quick question KoK, can you enlighten the rest of us to the method of your use of Caps - you said there was some method and it wasn't random, care to enlighten the masses?

The quote from DPP was interesting, I remember a documentary a while ago on the Beeb (i think) where they attended the launch of a new Apple store - I think it was Covent Garden - and the presenter suggested that the way the crowd were whipped into a frenzy of hysteria was very much like those OTT evangelical events you see on TV, and the whole even had the air of a religious festival for many of the customers. It was bonkers.

Still, I do like playing Angry Birds on the missuses iPad2, a lot more so than I do playing it on my Galaxy S2 phone. Maybe Apple is the future after all.....

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

Post #: 319
RE: Apple's big announcement. - 7/3/2012 2:37:36 PM   
Darth Marenghi

King, even though I don't own any Apple products myself your unabashed joy for them has brought a smile to my face. You're an absolute legend.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 320
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 6:09:43 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Haha, I just enjoy writing rapturously about APPLE, it's better than politics. I get a kick out of it, I feel about APPLE like some people feel about their favorite football team.

Anyway, I'll return more with commentary later, but for now the event is on! Live blogging over at ENGADGET!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 321
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 7:15:15 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So where's the 3D KoK?

Post #: 322
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 7:29:33 PM   
adambatman82

I'm excited to see Retina Display incorporated in to the new iPad (confusingly titled simply "The iPad"). I always thought RD was nothing of great note 'til I upgraded to iPhone 4 from my 3GS, and the difference is hugely impressive. The addition of 4G is an exciting prospect too, if not a little bit moot at the moment.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 323
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 7:39:15 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

So Retina display would appear to be the big difference?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 324
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 8:00:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

So Retina display would appear to be the big difference?

There's a couple of major tech advancements. Retina Display is one thing (it literally doubles the resolution), and LTE (4G) is the other. It also has a dual-core A5X CPU in there too.

Here's a comparison between the new iPad and the iPad 2 -

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-vs-ipad-2/

Post #: 325
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 8:10:52 PM   
paul_ie86

Isn't the 4G pretty redundant on this side of the Atlantic though?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 326
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 8:43:31 PM   
Chief Wiggum

From Twitter

quote:

6m muradahmed ‏ @muradahmed Reply Retweet Favorite Open
At Apple event. When I pulled out my iPad 2 to do a side-by-side comparison with "the new iPad", an Apple exec swiped it out of my hand...

muradahmed ‏ @muradahmed Reply Retweet Favorite Open
...saying that "we're not doing side by side comparisons here." I had to tell him he was taking my property to get it back. Oh dear

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 327
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 11:00:22 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

King, even though I don't own any Apple products myself your unabashed joy for them has brought a smile to my face. You're an absolute legend.

Cheers!

I love APPLE, and I have good fun writing about the company and their products with unbridled, breathless enthusiasm. If it helps to hype others up, then I've done my job. In short, I seek to move the Overton window* when it comes to the public's perception of APPLE.

* VIA WIKIPEDIA: The Overton window, in political theory, describes a "window" in the range of public reactions to ideas in public discourse, in a spectrum of all possible options on a particular issue.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

So where's the 3D KoK?

It's all in the name. There is a reason this is called simply "iPad" and not "iPad HD" (which I always thought was a clunky, reductive title Apple would never go for) or iPad 3. They're titling these like videogame releases, with the new numerically titled entries representing a significant leap forward in both tech and design.

For this latest one, with the basic no frills "iPad" name they want to tell the public that the iPad you know and love is still great, it's getting even better, and it's still the best thing on the market. They brought out some major improvements, but to their credit they didn't try to brag about them with the name. To APPLE, this isn't a special iPad that needs extra attention drawn to it (not the way iPad 2 was so radically different in form factor and tech from iPad 1). It's just the latest, greatest iPad. It's like how iPod TOUCH continues to get better, but they didn't feel the need to retitle the product when they added a retina screen.

When we do see iPad 3, it will be a massive leap forward, and will - mark my words - feature a glasses-free 3D screen of unsurpassed beauty.

For the release of that next level product, it will warrant the hype that the name iPad 3D will give it. I'd thought we'd be getting it this year, but that it's in the pipeline I have no doubt.

As for today's iPad... it's great! These things just keep getting cooler. For anyone looking for a reason to pick one up, now is a great time. While I'm a little surprised they didn't bring SIRI over, they must no doubt have something up their sleeve that justifies the delay. I'm still hoping to get her as over-air update to iOS. ::fingers crossed::

Anyway,

This new iPad keeps APPLE comfortably ahead of the competition, and positions them strongly going into the future.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I will freely admit there is a part of me that is relieved that the improvements, though substantial, are of an incremental nature, and so I don't really have to worry about any iPad envy.. this year at least. iPad 2 is still pretty flash, and the form factor is nearly identical, so the casual observer won't be able to detect a difference.

BTW: I have the APPLECARE Protection Plan, and so who knows? If my iPad encounters a major snafu, I might be entitled free upgrade anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper
Also, quick question KoK, can you enlighten the rest of us to the method of your use of Caps - you said there was some method and it wasn't random, care to enlighten the masses?

Eh, basically I just like CAPS LOCK to signify certain proper nouns, product names, titles and concepts. I want someone to look over my post and see the essential words jump at them (like TAGS, in a way) so that it's instantly clear what I'm addressing and how my post is structured. With a company like Apple, whose name I can't abbreviate, and might have to refer to multiple times in a single paragraph, I usually will use CAPS up top at the first mention of APPLE, when discussing the company as a sort of monolithic entity, and then once I get into the body of my post, and I'm referring to Apple's desires, motivations, anthropomorphic traits ETC, I tend to use traditional capitalization like that used with human names. Otherwise it would look a bit daft, to be constantly capitalizing it for every use.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 7/3/2012 11:02:57 PM >

Post #: 328
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 11:05:30 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I wasn't actually asking. I was aiming more for the play on words....never mind.

Post #: 329
RE: Apple (The tech company, not the fruit) Related News! - 7/3/2012 11:08:03 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I wasn't actually asking. I was aiming more for the play on words....never mind.

No worries, I just wanted to address the issue of iPad 3D, my prediction, and what the future might hold. Your question provided me with that opportunity.

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Apple's big announcement. Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI