Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers - 28/4/2011 3:57:42 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy
Glad to hear it Jim! "Freekin' awesome" is all the incentive I need. I'm still hearing that Hemsworth is a little un-charismatic and is acted off screen by Hopkins and Hiddlestone though. Any truth to this?

None whatsoever.

Loki and Odin's roles are more nuanced and subtle perhaps - and they're both at the top of their game - but Hemsworth more than matches them - he brings a great physicality to his role, but more than that, the arc his character goes through in the film requires him to display a good range (from brash, cocky, almost stupid arrogance, through berserker rages, to quiet, easy masculine charm, a sense of humour, humility, wisdom... fear not; the trailers don't do him justice - the man can act.

As for uncharismatic... well, that's completely the opposite to what he is. He has "it". I compare his performance to Reeve from Superman the Movie - not in any derivative or imitative way, but in that he exudes an easy charm - a 'charisma' if you will - that totally sells it. He is to Thor what RDJ was to Iron Man.

Hopefully you will have seen it for yourself by now and can judge for yourself... and if not, why not? Get yerself to the cinema man!

Completely agree, I thought he was fantastic as both the arrogant warrior and later more humbled noble - he's made the role his own as much as RDJ's Tony Stark. I think if Hiddleston and Hopkins receive more praise it's perhaps that Loki is a bit more layered and therefore more of a challenging role (which Hiddleston absolutely nailed) and Hopkins is Hopkins - he's just a complete pro with this kind of material. As I mentioned in my review I don't think there was a weak link in the cast at all - there were some underwritten roles but Branagh had quality actors in each one so even if they were fleeting the characters were damn well played. This is why I want to see more of Sif and The Warriors Three in a Thor sequel.

And Musht I think the War Machine/Cheadle thing has only ever been rumoured, he's not listed as being in the cast from the Disney press release although I expect some more announcements, seeing as production has started no doubt any "secret" cast or characters will get leaked so Disney and Marvel will probably make further announcements to avoid the spies getting any info out before them. Well, as much as they can without spoiling anything of course. Agree with the Ross' connections - Betty is a scientist and General Ross has some tenuous connection so of the supporting casts I think those two would be most likely to cameo somewhere or maybe have supporting roles.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 181
RE: The Avengers - 28/4/2011 3:58:18 PM   
lukeyboy

Cheers to Jim & Keith for the Thor (and in particular Chris Hemsworth) reviews. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 182
RE: The Avengers - 9/5/2011 9:26:18 AM   
Marwood

Well that's a relief, including it's US release Thor is currently up to $242 mil worldwide so doing pretty well and already just about made Incredible Hulk's total. Good news all round, hopefully Captain America can make a similar impact.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 183
RE: The Avengers - 9/5/2011 9:44:38 AM   
primebhoy

Still to catch it myself, theres not been a suitable 2D showing yet, as I hate 3D (also £10.40 for a ticket!!) i will catch it next week when the crowds and annoying teenagers have gone!

Cant wait tho.

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 184
RE: The Avengers - 9/5/2011 10:45:18 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: primebhoy

Still to catch it myself, theres not been a suitable 2D showing yet, as I hate 3D (also £10.40 for a ticket!!) i will catch it next week when the crowds and annoying teenagers have gone!

Cant wait tho.

Yeah, I saw it in 3D and it's not worth it. It didn't really add anything to the film and some scenes a bit too dark to really make out some of the action.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 185
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 4:47:02 AM   
stef3

I think I am the start of the rash of casual fans that are going to start flooding "The avengers" threads in the near future. I have already reviewed Thor over on the fans review thread and won't go on about that except to say that I loved every second. This comes from a person who didn't know about Thor at all before going to the movie and didn't know about the avengers except that Joss whedon was directing it who I know mainly for buffy and firefly. Was not really interested until I saw Thor and heard all the references to "stark" and saw the after credit sequences which intrigued me enough for me to look it all up online.

A shared universe?! All leading up to a big ensemble cast of marvel superheroes in The Avengers?! I am a sucker for this sort of thing with all the references and love the idea. I know for a fact that a lot of people are only realising this after enjoying this film so much and I have seen a lot of posts in other places about their surprise. I remember seeing headlines about the avengers film at comic-con and the lineup but I really don't know what that meant until now. All the marketing execs have accomplished what they set out to do in making this shared universe-made me a fan and made me anticipate the next few films.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 186
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 10:08:33 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: stef3

I think I am the start of the rash of casual fans that are going to start flooding "The avengers" threads in the near future. I have already reviewed Thor over on the fans review thread and won't go on about that except to say that I loved every second. This comes from a person who didn't know about Thor at all before going to the movie and didn't know about the avengers except that Joss whedon was directing it who I know mainly for buffy and firefly. Was not really interested until I saw Thor and heard all the references to "stark" and saw the after credit sequences which intrigued me enough for me to look it all up online.

A shared universe?! All leading up to a big ensemble cast of marvel superheroes in The Avengers?! I am a sucker for this sort of thing with all the references and love the idea. I know for a fact that a lot of people are only realising this after enjoying this film so much and I have seen a lot of posts in other places about their surprise. I remember seeing headlines about the avengers film at comic-con and the lineup but I really don't know what that meant until now. All the marketing execs have accomplished what they set out to do in making this shared universe-made me a fan and made me anticipate the next few films.

Hey - the casual fan is more than welcome to flood the threads. It takes a bit of pressure off of us fanboys!!

The marketing for The Avengers is of course in the very early stages unless you count the actual films that have already been released (i.e Iron Man 1&2, The Incredible Hulk and Thor) but already the geeks and fanboys are salivating at seeing things as basic as pictures of 'directors' chairs with the names of The Avengers on them in front of a big logo!! Just think how the marketing will step up during filming and then a few months before release. It'll be total fanboy carnage!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to stef3)
Post #: 187
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 10:41:31 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Trouble is with Bats around you really need to get it out May-June cos I think Bat-Man'll do serious damage.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 188
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 11:16:32 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Trouble is with Bats around you really need to get it out May-June cos I think Bat-Man'll do serious damage.

Well it's a May 4th release (kicking off the summer like Thor and the Iron Man films have done) and The Dark Knight Rises is coming in mid-July so that's actually a big gap between them in summer release terms. The bat related marketing will no doubt start in earnest when The Avengers is released (maybe a trailer will be attached to it) and it would have finished it's main theatrical run by then. WB and Marvel/Disney are wisely dancing around each other I think because both realise their films could damage each other.

The Avengers marketing probably won't gear up for a long time yet like Luke says, however with the big summer cons around the corner I think they'd be insane not to debut some footage (a brief teaser of just the characters together would be enough) or posters etc. I mean last year they got the main cast together under the big announcement and had the SLJ voiced teaser trailer, Captain America had rough footage to show and that had only been shooting for about a week beforehand. I think they'll follow the usual pattern of making a debut splash during the cons, throw out a new fuller trailer around Christmas and then kick things into high gear in March.

...and Stef welcome to the unspellchecked crucible of high geekery.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 189
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 5:32:20 PM   
stef3

quote:

And thank you everybody!

Anyways,went into Thor with zero expectations and came out a geek! My parents will be so proud (deep sarcasm)...

Have been looking at the Captain America trailer repeatedly on youtube today and love it more and more....Had the faintest understanding of Captain America (and assorted Marvel superheroes) until recently, and just love the concept more and more. A sickly guy who repeatedly tries to join the army solely to beat up nazis and agrees to undergo experimental treatment just to beat up more baddies and then does just that-and then gets frozen until the present day-why wasn't this made into a movie ages ago (a good movie!?). And people, I am not american but if we can't get behind weaklings that wanna beat up nazis and assorted bad guys (and take part in crazy experiments) just because of his principles, who can we get behind as human beings?

The statement above is full of lol but also very serious. Fatigue may also have played a factor.

So, does anyone figure that the Cap will be frozen (or whatever), at the end of the second act of the upcoming film and then is introduced into the present day and into "The Avengers initiative" or will they wait until the very end of the film (the last 10 mins) or just wait until "The Avengers" for him to make his intro? The third option just doesn't fit well with me as I think film will have been mostly set up character wise from the previous film in the series and will be mostly action orientated and the team bonding as an unlikely family. But nearly everyone on this thread will have more knowledge about the characters and the comic book series upon which the film will be based so what do you think will happen?

Also, Hugo Weaving as Red Skull/ Nazi/alien - most epic villain casting ever!

< Message edited by stef3 -- 18/5/2011 5:33:46 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 190
RE: The Avengers - 18/5/2011 5:55:04 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

And thank you everybody!

Anyways,went into Thor with zero expectations and came out a geek! My parents will be so proud (deep sarcasm)...

Have been looking at the Captain America trailer repeatedly on youtube today and love it more and more....Had the faintest understanding of Captain America (and assorted Marvel superheroes) until recently, and just love the concept more and more. A sickly guy who repeatedly tries to join the army solely to beat up nazis and agrees to undergo experimental treatment just to beat up more baddies and then does just that-and then gets frozen until the present day-why wasn't this made into a movie ages ago (a good movie!?). And people, I am not american but if we can't get behind weaklings that wanna beat up nazis and assorted bad guys (and take part in crazy experiments) just because of his principles, who can we get behind as human beings?

The statement above is full of lol but also very serious. Fatigue may also have played a factor.

So, does anyone figure that the Cap will be frozen (or whatever), at the end of the second act of the upcoming film and then is introduced into the present day and into "The Avengers initiative" or will they wait until the very end of the film (the last 10 mins) or just wait until "The Avengers" for him to make his intro? The third option just doesn't fit well with me as I think film will have been mostly set up character wise from the previous film in the series and will be mostly action orientated and the team bonding as an unlikely family. But nearly everyone on this thread will have more knowledge about the characters and the comic book series upon which the film will be based so what do you think will happen?

The popular rumour is that the film is set during WWII but bookended with scenes in the modern world, if true then I think it will open with him being discovered, the bulk of the film will be flashback and end with him waking up. There was a shoot in Times Square recently which involved Evans, Jackson and director Joe Johnston which looks like it could be this ending scene or maybe an after credits thing like Fury's appearances in Iron Man 1 and Thor. Evans has said himself that Cap's "man out of time" aspect will come up in The Avengers and my feeling is that by the time we meet him again in The Avengers he's starting to adjust to modern life - still offers a lot of room for awkwardness and banter with Stark but doesn't necessarily mean Cap spends most of the film going "What is this place?!" and "Who am I?!". I expect the meat of his transition will feature in a Cap sequel (if it happens) but there will be a time delay between the end of Cap and start of Avengers during which time he has been briefed and drafted by Fury so is slowly catching up on history.

I agree that the characters we've seen should have been fleshed out enough so that their relationships in The Avengers involves less exposition and more team bonding; true we don't really know anything about Black Widow, Hawkeye or Fury but the others should have been well explored enough in their own films so that this one doesn't have to reintroduce them, it should be another step in their developing characters. I don't think we should expect wall to wall action though, Marvel have hired a writer/director who's well known for strong characterisation so there'll be a lot of dramatic and comedic scenes too. I think having these characters together just means the big action scenes will be that bit more spectacular, not necessarilly more frequent than the other films. X-Men 2 is still the watermark for a team film IMO and I hope Whedon has that same balance in this.

(in reply to stef3)
Post #: 191
RE: The Avengers - 23/5/2011 11:54:49 AM   
Wild about Wilder

The thing that I prefer about The Avengers to others except maybe JLA who are pretty much identical is the fact there's been so many different types of Super-Heroes: Gods, Mutants etc as members over the years the movie Franchise could literaly run forever "well maybe not forever but a long time".

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 192
RE: The Avengers - 23/5/2011 2:42:12 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

quote:

And thank you everybody!

The popular rumour is that the film is set during WWII but bookended with scenes in the modern world, if true then I think it will open with him being discovered, the bulk of the film will be flashback and end with him waking up. There was a shoot in Times Square recently which involved Evans, Jackson and director Joe Johnston which looks like it could be this ending scene or maybe an after credits thing like Fury's appearances in Iron Man 1 and Thor. Evans has said himself that Cap's "man out of time" aspect will come up in The Avengers and my feeling is that by the time we meet him again in The Avengers he's starting to adjust to modern life - still offers a lot of room for awkwardness and banter with Stark but doesn't necessarily mean Cap spends most of the film going "What is this place?!" and "Who am I?!". I expect the meat of his transition will feature in a Cap sequel (if it happens) but there will be a time delay between the end of Cap and start of Avengers during which time he has been briefed and drafted by Fury so is slowly catching up on history.

I agree that the characters we've seen should have been fleshed out enough so that their relationships in The Avengers involves less exposition and more team bonding; true we don't really know anything about Black Widow, Hawkeye or Fury but the others should have been well explored enough in their own films so that this one doesn't have to reintroduce them, it should be another step in their developing characters. I don't think we should expect wall to wall action though, Marvel have hired a writer/director who's well known for strong characterisation so there'll be a lot of dramatic and comedic scenes too. I think having these characters together just means the big action scenes will be that bit more spectacular, not necessarilly more frequent than the other films. X-Men 2 is still the watermark for a team film IMO and I hope Whedon has that same balance in this.

The running times for all of Marvel's Avenger related flicks so far have been:

Iron Man - 126mins
Iron Man 2 - 124mins
The Incredible Hulk - 112mins
Thor - 115mins

One is only speculating, but..........I'm thinking that as Captain America is Marvel's flagship character and probably the most important part of The Avengers team (assuming they don't go with the more modern incarnation where they have Iron Man as the leader) the running time for Cap will be as long, if not longer than Iron Man at probably somewhere around the 130minute mark. I think they can establish the characters origins, throw in a bit of WW2 and Red Skull action and have him frozen in around the 110 minute mark and then dedicate the final 15-20mins to him being found, thawed out and given a new cozzie by Nick Fury, and they could also touch on the "man out of time" angle a bit too in this time.

If i were director - this is how i would do it!!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 193
RE: The Avengers - 23/5/2011 9:27:58 PM   
Marwood

I don't think they should rush it really, I remember reading an interview with Feige some time ago where one of the Cap film ideas was to bring him into the modern world about half way through but they nixed it because the period setting held more interest to them. The man out of time aspect is great but save it for a sequel or use The Avengers to introduce and start exploring that arc rather than overstuff the first film. It worked very well in The Ultimates Vol 1 and I don't think it's a stretch to use a similar framing for Cap in The Avengers...although I hope they don't reference Ultimate Cap too much, that guy's an arsehole.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 194
RE: The Avengers - 23/5/2011 10:31:32 PM   
fugaziuk

after seeing Thor for the second time i really want to read those ultimate graphic novels everyone has reffered to on here. Bit confused those are there are so many Ultimate avengers novels on amazon - is this the VOL1 everyone is on about?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Comics-Avengers-Mark-Millar/dp/1846534429/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306186020&sr=1-2

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 195
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 9:11:09 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fugaziuk

after seeing Thor for the second time i really want to read those ultimate graphic novels everyone has reffered to on here. Bit confused those are there are so many Ultimate avengers novels on amazon - is this the VOL1 everyone is on about?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Comics-Avengers-Mark-Millar/dp/1846534429/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306186020&sr=1-2

No, thats not the one people are referencing. These are the ones you want.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+ultimates

(in reply to fugaziuk)
Post #: 196
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 9:25:56 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

I don't think they should rush it really, I remember reading an interview with Feige some time ago where one of the Cap film ideas was to bring him into the modern world about half way through but they nixed it because the period setting held more interest to them. The man out of time aspect is great but save it for a sequel or use The Avengers to introduce and start exploring that arc rather than overstuff the first film. It worked very well in The Ultimates Vol 1 and I don't think it's a stretch to use a similar framing for Cap in The Avengers...although I hope they don't reference Ultimate Cap too much, that guy's an arsehole.

I know what you mean about overstuffing the movie - but I still think there's a little room to art least introduce the whole man out of time arc. I'll make a sportsman's bet that they will - even if if it's just in the post credit's sequence!

Yeah, the Ultimate Cap is a complete tool but the relationship he has with Thor is awesome and really works. That would be great to see in The Avengers. Thinking about it - apart from Thor, most of the characters have some really unlikeable qualities. Giant Man is a wife beater and borderline mysoginist, Wasp is a slag, Iron Man is an alcoholic womaniser, Cap (as we already mentioned) is a sexist bigot and Hulk is a murdering psycopath. Thor's just a Hippy (all he needs is a bong instead of a hammer) Hawkeye's pretty cool though - love the bit where he digs out his own fingernails and kills a room full of baddies with them!!

The Avengers would definitely be rated R if it was based on these comics. I love 'em!!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 197
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 10:59:52 AM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

I know what you mean about overstuffing the movie - but I still think there's a little room to art least introduce the whole man out of time arc. I'll make a sportsman's bet that they will - even if if it's just in the post credit's sequence!
Yeah, the Ultimate Cap is a complete tool but the relationship he has with Thor is awesome and really works. That would be great to see in The Avengers. Thinking about it - apart from Thor, most of the characters have some really unlikeable qualities. Giant Man is a wife beater and borderline mysoginist, Wasp is a slag, Iron Man is an alcoholic womaniser, Cap (as we already mentioned) is a sexist bigot and Hulk is a murdering psycopath. Thor's just a Hippy (all he needs is a bong instead of a hammer) Hawkeye's pretty cool though - love the bit where he digs out his own fingernails and kills a room full of baddies with them!!

The Avengers would definitely be rated R if it was based on these comics. I love 'em!!

I'd taken that as a given anyway if the bookend rumour is true, that recent NY shoot suggests that at least it will be a post credits sting. But that's all I think they should do with it in Cap 1, introduce the story point and leave the real meat of it for Avengers and Cap 2. I don't even think they should show his new costume in Cap 1, again leave that for the character's big reveal in Avengers as well.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 198
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 11:21:12 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd taken that as a given anyway if the bookend rumour is true, that recent NY shoot suggests that at least it will be a post credits sting. But that's all I think they should do with it in Cap 1, introduce the story point and leave the real meat of it for Avengers and Cap 2. I don't even think they should show his new costume in Cap 1, again leave that for the character's big reveal in Avengers as well.

I'm sure I read an interview with Chris Evans somewhere where he said we would indeed see the modern costume in Cap 1. Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me where I read it, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 199
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 3:06:08 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Yeah cool with the nails but very much Bullseye don't yah think? though wonder if they'll be any mention of Bartons hearing difficulties?
Should think Avengers will be the longest film as they'll have to spread the story around with back stories for some of the lesser known characters.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 24/5/2011 3:07:37 PM >

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 200
RE: The Avengers - 24/5/2011 5:16:16 PM   
JIm R

quote:

Yeah cool with the nails but very much Bullseye don't yah think? though wonder if they'll be any mention of Bartons hearing difficulties?
Should think Avengers will be the longest film as they'll have to spread the story around with back stories for some of the lesser known characters.

looking at around 145 mins I reckon

Post #: 201
RE: The Avengers - 25/5/2011 12:49:29 PM   
primebhoy

Caught Thor last night, really enjoyed it, tho it was a little light on action for me. Solid story tho, and a good set up for the Avengers.

So am I right that confirmed for the Avengers are... Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow & Fury? Also im assuming you can add Loki to that now. Do we think we might see any others appearing?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 202
RE: The Avengers - 25/5/2011 1:08:54 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Don't think Fury will be a member probably send them on missons as he's the head of Shield gonna be interesting how they're gonna play that out as it looks like a White Nick Fury's in the Captain America trailer along with Dum Dum Dugan & the rest of the Howling Commandos?
Perhaps Nick Fury'll be a name that's been passed down over the years.
I've heard The Wasp may appear & maybe Hank Pym as 1 of his 4 Super-Hero alter-egos I have no idea, though I myself would love 2c my favorite super-hero couple of The Vision & The Scarlett Witch Involved somehow but I don't C much chance if any at all of that happening.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 25/5/2011 1:10:07 PM >

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 203
RE: The Avengers - 25/5/2011 1:38:21 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

Don't think Fury will be a member probably send them on missons as he's the head of Shield gonna be interesting how they're gonna play that out as it looks like a White Nick Fury's in the Captain America trailer along with Dum Dum Dugan & the rest of the Howling Commandos?
I've heard The Wasp may appear & maybe Hank Pym as 1 of his 4 Super-Hero alter-egos I have no idea, though I myself would love 2c my favorite super-hero couple of The Vision & The Scarlett Witch Involved somehow but I don't C much chance if any at all of that happening.

Not sure who you're reffering to as the white Nick Fury from the trailer but I think it's just a member of the howling commando's as there were recent pictures leaked online with Chris Evan's and SLJ filming a scene for Captain America (probably for the post credit sequence) and more to the point - SLJ is confirmed for Cap and The Avengers already!

The Avengers will line up with a core ensemble of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Hulk with S.H.I.E.L.D agents Hawkeye, Black Widow and of course Nick Fury along for the ride. I'd hazard a guess that we will indeed see a few surprise cameos in The Avengers like Hank Pym and The Wasp, and The Vison could be done but only as some sort of super-computer S.H.I.E.L.D uses (i.e not the red, yellow and green robot we all know) but the Scarlett Witch is more of an X-Men character (the daughter of Magneto) so I'd rule her out straight away. I would like to see Namor the Submariner in there myself - and I seem to remember there were rumours of this circulating a while back which seem to have gone a bit quiet of late. Either way it's gonna rock!!

Post #: 204
RE: The Avengers - 25/5/2011 1:41:45 PM   
Marwood

quote:

I agree, the starting lineup is probably going to be:

Iron Man
Cap
Thor
Hawkeye
Black Widow

Fury overseeing with Coulson, Hulk will be fighting alongside them at some point if not an actual team member - I still think their first team mission will involve bringing him in. No doubt Fury and Coulson will get some action scenes too, think Jackson has said before he'd like an "active" role in this so they'll probably be leading the Shield agents in to help out in whatever the third act battle turns out to be.

As for Fury in Cap I don't think he features at all during WWII either as Jackson or a white character, there's no mention in the cast list along those lines anyway. Personally I think they've done away with Fury being a WWII veteran in any form and he's "normal aged" so you'll only see him in the present day bookends or after credits scene. Suppose they could still muck with his age a bit and see him as a young soldier in WWII but again there's been no indication of this anywhere.

I was wondering about a Wasp and/or Henry Pym cameo too - although I think that depends on what is going on with Edgar Wright's Ant Film. He confirmed not so long ago that it was still being developed and I'm sure Feige has said before that it slots into the shared universe, release year doesn't seem set though so I don't think it's moving quickly and unlikely to be anywhere near casting. Suppose Marvel and Wright could cast them early of course and slot them into The Avengers somewhere ready for the spin-off but I'm not really expecting to see them turn up.

Vision would be interesting for a sequel but Scarlet Witch I would think is tied up with 20th Century Fox seeing as they have the rights to most of Marvel's mutant characters due to the X-Men deal, The Avengers u. Considering she and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids I think it's more likely they'd turn up in sequels to First Class somewhere.

Post #: 205
RE: The Avengers - 25/5/2011 2:51:43 PM   
primebhoy

quote:

Yeah I didnt mean an 'actual' member of the avengers, I meant as in who was going to be in the Avengers Movie.

Personally I think there are enough names in there to whett the appettite, but I love it when theres a wee surprise thrown in, Jeremey Renner in Thor was one such moment (even tho he didnt have a mask on lol).

< Message edited by primebhoy -- 25/5/2011 2:53:34 PM >

Post #: 206
RE: The Avengers - 26/5/2011 11:40:46 AM   
Wild about Wilder

There's a scene on the Trailer where cap & a bunch of soldiers burst in shooting Cap included he has a handgun & 2 of them with him definetly look like Marvels original White Nick Fury & unmistakenly his n.o2 Dum Dum Duggan as never seen any other GI going into battle wearing a Bowler hat or a( Derby never sure what it was) with the Zappata moustache.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 207
RE: The Avengers - 26/5/2011 1:08:25 PM   
Marwood

quote:

There's a scene on the Trailer where cap & a bunch of soldiers burst in shooting Cap included he has a handgun & 2 of them with him definetly look like Marvels original White Nick Fury & unmistakenly his n.o2 Dum Dum Duggan as never seen any other GI going into battle wearing a Bowler hat or a( Derby never sure what it was)†with the Zappata moustache.

...or could be one of a number of the Howling Commandos (Privates Dino Manelli, Jonathon Juniper, Robert Ralston, Izzy Cohen, Percy Pinkerton) or Union Jack (played by JJ Field) and again the only Nick Fury credited is Samuel L Jackson. It's not oustide the realms of possibility but someone who looks like an original Nick Fury sans eyepatch could be any white soldier character really.

I like that they've thrown Dugan in though, Neil McDonagh (sp?) I think is one of those solid character actors (aside from some dodgy choices like Streetfighter: Chun Li) who's often pretty good value and in interviews he's said that he had fun with the character in this.

Luke re Namor he and The Invaders were rumoured for a long time and I'm sure Joe has mentioned them but that was pre-production so they may have been cut from whatever the final draft is. I hope they do include Namor at least because he's a character I'd like to see get the movie treatment so a cameo here would be a nice introduction. I remember years ago Fox (I think) had the rights and Chris Columbus was developing it after he'd moved on from their earlier Fantastic Four developments, not sure if Marvel got the rights back so that could be a stumbling block for them to make a Marvel Studios: Namor The Submariner film. On the other hand as whichever studio had the rights obviously hasn't made a film perhaps they've lapsed and Marvel have him "in house" again.

Post #: 208
RE: The Avengers - 27/5/2011 8:56:32 AM   
Marwood

More villain information apparently, call this a spoiler if you're waiting for official announcements:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-there-is-another-big-time-villain-in-marvel-s-the-avengers-13718

Can't say I'm that keen on this if true, the Skrulls still haven't actually been confirmed but LR are banging on about them featuring as well as Loki and now this guy. Skrulls I've not been that enthusiastic to see although if handled like The Ultimates Vol 1 that's fine, the inclusion of this new one though has me a little concerned about the cosmic levels Marvel are putting into this one. The character's fine and has been at the centre of some great stories but it's like throwing The Beyonder or Galactus in - it ups the ante but to levels which are a massive leap from what they've been doing with the characters in the solo films (Thor aside of course).

Thor was a great introduction to that larger universe and I appreciate The Avengers need to fight something world threatening but still....I wonder if Marvel and Whedon are running before they can walk. We still don't know how well Thor is going to sit alongside Iron Man, Cap etc. and if this film doesn't manage to make that grouping believeable then what sounds like a full on invasion is really risky. Skrulls ala Ultimates would work fine and be another step towards getting the "earth" characters intergrated into the larger cosmic areas but to me Loki, Skrulls and this new character feel like too much too soon to me.

Still, having really enjoyed Thor I'm sure they can make it work.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 209
RE: The Avengers - 27/5/2011 10:32:52 AM   
primebhoy

Not too sure where he would slot in to the marvel film universe right now?  Seems a strange choice to me tbh.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI