Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers - 24/8/2010 10:24:29 AM   
lukeyboy

Latino review have posted a few snippets from a recent interview with Joss Whedon on their website. In it he says that Scarlett Johanson's Black Widow character will be the only female Avenger in the movie - meaning no Wasp and probably no Hank Pym (no Nathan Fillion).

However, the article hints that she will not be the only lady kicking ass in the movie, and we may be looking at another "super female" but i can't honestly actually see where Whedon has said that himself! Anyway here's the link to the article -  make up your own minds.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/there-s-more-than-one-ass-kicking-female-in-the-avengers-10911

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to agent13)
Post #: 121
RE: The Avengers - 24/8/2010 10:47:57 AM   
KeithM

My feeling is that Hank & Jan will be in it - but as scientists (at least initially), not as Avengers.

Obviously I have absolutely nothing to base that on except gut feeling, but it's a theory I'll hold on to until it's obvious they're not in it at all.

I think Whedon's statement is very vague - "there will be other non-Avenger women in it besides Black Widow" - could be Betty Ross, Pepper Potts, Sharon Carter, Jessica Drew, Mrs Miggins from the pie shop... or Janet van Dyne/Pym.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 122
RE: The Avengers - 24/8/2010 11:16:01 AM   
Marwood

Yeah it sounds like the writer has jumped to a few conclusions based on a very brief comment from Whedon.

To be honest I'm still expecting the Pyms to cameo as by the time Avengers is shooting Edgar Wright's Ant Man should finally be into proper pre-production at least so if the leads have been cast then they could always pitch up somewhere, maybe as after credits. I remember the treatment he and Joe Cornish wrote followed Scott Lang rather than Pym but he and Janet both turned up in supporting roles at some point of the story. Or perhaps Marvel and Wright will retool it so that Hank and Janet are the lead characters and Lang is dropped. Anyway, I'll be disappointed if they don't turn up somewhere in The Avengers.

Now, in terms of further female characters I think maybe Sharon Carter - it looks like The Ultimates will be used as some basis for this film and it's pretty clear that Fury and Shield will be The Avengers handlers/intel so we should be meeting more Shield agents alongside Fury, Black Widow and Coulson. I also think that The Avengers will show Captain America waking up in the present day so perhaps his arc in the film will be adjustment to the new world and include meeting Peggy Carter's granddaughter...who is also a Shield agent.

Or it could be other characters with a link to Shield or The Avengers like Carol Danvers (pre-powers). I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely to turn up anywhere as I'm sure she has been scooped up by Fox in their X-Men deals - Quicksilver is very briefly glimpsed in Wolverine (the holding cells and escape) so I wouldn't be surprised if Wanda turns up somewhere in First Class or something as a cameo or superfluous supporting character.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 123
RE: The Avengers - 27/12/2010 10:37:22 AM   
Marwood

Well I hope everyone had a good Christmas (for those who celebrate it) and the food comas aren't too severe.

Bit of possible news from a local paper in New Mexico where it has been announced that The Avengers will be predominantly filmed - http://www.latinoreview.com/news/more-avengers-locations-are-revealed-along-with-some-villains-12078

Not sure how accurate that is but I guess with Thor opening the alien door for Marvel films it's not out of the question, personally I'd rather not see earth caught in the middle of an alien war for the first team adventure because it runs the risk of cramming too much into one film. On the other hand the solo films will have introduced the characters so arguably the film can spend a bit less time on character and more on spectacle.

Still....hopefully this will take The Ultimates approach and idea of Secret Invasion rather than being War of The Worlds with superheroes.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 124
RE: The Avengers - 29/12/2010 3:29:58 PM   
Marwood

Well never mind, apparently it's not 100% but Marvel haven't officially debunked it either:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/26990/1/AVENGERS-RUMORS-DEBUNKED-AND-REFUELED/Page1.html

I think the Demi Lovato thing will turn out to be tosh (regardless of the Disney connection) but am not too suprised if Marvel and Whedon are trying to fit another female character into the lineup. Surely this could mean Wasp but then again perhaps on the Shield side we could get Carol Danvers/Ms Marvel? Cheesy yes but I think she could take a place in the cinematic universe with a slightly different origin and costume.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 29/12/2010 3:33:36 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 125
RE: The Avengers - 30/12/2010 9:30:27 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

Well never mind, apparently it's not 100% but Marvel haven't officially debunked it either:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/26990/1/AVENGERS-RUMORS-DEBUNKED-AND-REFUELED/Page1.html

I think the Demi Lovato thing will turn out to be tosh (regardless of the Disney connection) but am not too suprised if Marvel and Whedon are trying to fit another female character into the lineup. Surely this could mean Wasp but then again perhaps on the Shield side we could get Carol Danvers/Ms Marvel? Cheesy yes but I think she could take a place in the cinematic universe with a slightly different origin and costume.

I fucking hope so!! If she's cast as The Wasp they might as well cast Miley Cyrus as Ms Marvel and be done with it!

I'd like to see Morena Baccarin as the Wasp personally.............

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 126
RE: The Avengers - 30/12/2010 2:59:00 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy

quote:

I fucking hope so!! If she's cast as The Wasp they might as well cast Miley Cyrus as Ms Marvel and be done with it!

And that would go back to the days when every big summer film had a pop song attached: "Miley Cyrus - Assembled (Touch My Skrull remix)"

Baccarin's name has come up before hasn't it? I seem to remember some vague rumour floating around that she could have a cameo or small role due to history with Whedon (Firefly?) - not familiar with her but I believe she's one of the main players in the recent V revival. She has a Waspish look to me so yeah, maybe.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 127
RE: The Avengers - 30/12/2010 4:33:14 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

And that would go back to the days when every big summer film had a pop song attached: "Miley Cyrus - Assembled (Touch My Skrull remix)"
Baccarin's name has come up before hasn't it? I seem to remember some vague rumour floating around that she could have a cameo or small role due to history with Whedon (Firefly?) - not familiar with her but I believe she's one of the main players in the recent V revival. She has a Waspish look to me so yeah, maybe.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 128
RE: The Avengers - 31/12/2010 10:45:27 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I'd liked to have seen some of the 2nd generation Avengers involved aswell as Hawkeye i.e The Vision, The Scarlet Witch & The Black Panther involved BUT NOT Quicksilver!

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 129
RE: The Avengers - 31/12/2010 12:20:05 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Ha, quality!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 130
RE: The Avengers - 31/12/2010 2:36:05 PM   
Macavity

There is an astounding amount of goodwill towards this film despite no indication of it being decent beyond the inclusion of Whedon. Marvel have been so quick to throw this together without even waiting for the response to the films intended to precede it. Thus far they have Iron Man 1 & 2 and the Incredible Hulk...one out of three is not too reassuring.

I feel like such a nay-sayer here but at best we'll get the comic-movie equivalent of The Expendables...at worst we're in for a 2 hour action figure advert.

< Message edited by Macavity -- 31/12/2010 3:12:36 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 131
RE: The Avengers - 31/12/2010 4:18:45 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macavity

There is an astounding amount of goodwill towards this film despite no indication of it being decent beyond the inclusion of Whedon. Marvel have been so quick to throw this together without even waiting for the response to the films intended to precede it. Thus far they have Iron Man 1 & 2 and the Incredible Hulk...one out of three is not too reassuring.

I feel like such a nay-sayer here but at best we'll get the comic-movie equivalent of The Expendables...at worst we're in for a 2 hour action figure advert.

Apart from Serenity has Whedon done a big budget movie before?

He's one aspect of this movie im not sure about if im honest.

Marvel is changing though ..... and i aint sure its for the better - insert sarcasm.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 132
RE: The Avengers - 2/1/2011 3:23:16 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

There is an astounding amount of goodwill towards this film despite no indication of it being decent beyond the inclusion of Whedon.

Whedon's enough to be honest - assuming for the moment he can crack the script. At his best, he certainly gets the Marvel ethos and given enough creative control will get a true Avengers movie onscreen. At the end of the day it could all go to pot but there's no reason not to be optimistic at the moment, as far as I can tell.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 133
RE: The Avengers - 3/1/2011 12:51:26 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

There is an astounding amount of goodwill towards this film despite no indication of it being decent beyond the inclusion of Whedon.

Whedon's enough to be honest - assuming for the moment he can crack the script. At his best, he certainly gets the Marvel ethos and given enough creative control will get a true Avengers movie onscreen. At the end of the day it could all go to pot but there's no reason not to be optimistic at the moment, as far as I can tell.

Exactly, there's always a lot of negativity towards new genre films so it's nice to see some optimism about this one, I personally want it to succeed because of the ambition (and that I'm a fan of the characters of course) and that it opens the door to much bigger areas Marvel can explore with their future films - it's genuinely something that could move the sub-genre on in the same way that The Dark Knight had a huge impact and redefined what a superhero film could be.

Reservations? Yeah sure, Iron Man 2 was a big stumble IMO (although I greatly enjoyed Iron Man and Incredible Hulk) with the larger Marvel U threads clumsily put into the film - one hopes that the future films won't have that problem because hopefully Marvel and the directors plan it better, all have admitted that IM2 was quite a rush job so even though Captain America's production history was a bit rocky and casting was all last minute hopefully it will come together.

Thor and Captain America while both looking great from the trailer and screenshots respectively are risky and by no means slam dunks, if they fail then that will have a big effect on The Avengers - particularly if Chris' Hemsworth or Evans are terrible in the roles because we'll have to endure them again being terrible. However I'm hoping in both cases they knock it out of the park - Hemsworth seems to be rocking it as Thor in the trailers and I was a champion for Evans playing Cap for a long time when the film was in casting so I'm confident both will be great. I don't think either film will do Iron Man levels of business but just hope that they're comfortable hits that get people excited for a teamup.

Whedon as a director I'm still unsure about but as others have said before if he has the right production team to smooth things out then there's no reason he can't make a good fist of this; he's in the same position as Raimi, Singer, Nolan and Favreau in terms of stepping up to something much bigger than previously directed so he's got every chance of being a success too. As a writer he's got the goods especially with superheroes so I've no worry that he and the producers will nail the script.

My only proper concern is giving everyone their fair share of screentime; it's good that they have solo movies to introduce them but I still would like to see them develop as characters and with a large ensemble cast that's bloody difficult. While I really enjoy Bryan Singer's X-Men films they're very much about Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier while everyone else is pretty much background so my big ask of Whedon is that everyone gets their chance to shine in this film and it's not (for example) "STARRING RDJ, SLJ AND SCARJO....plus some muscle dudes and Ruffalo in a mo-cap suit".

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 134
RE: The Avengers - 3/1/2011 8:34:18 PM   
BatFan

I think due to the popularity of Iron Man, and of Robert Downey Jr. Tony Stark will end up being the closest thing we have to a main character in The Avengers. If not in the actual film then for sure in the marketing of the film, I can already see the posters having RDJ/Iron Man front and centre and the trailers featuring Stark centric scenes where he's reacting to being put on a team with a norse god and a man that's been frozen since the 1940's and making wise cracks about them.

I have faith in Whedon too, he's someone I thought would make a great director for The Avengers, as soon as the idea for an Avengers film was announced. I also read in an interview with him where he said something along the lines of everyone's making films like The Dark Knight which is a gritty, realistic take on a Superhero film and Kick Ass/Watchmen which is a postmodern take on superhero films, before anyone's actually made a 'true' honest to god superhero film, and he wants to make that. Plus look at all the orginality and creativity he's cooked up for Buffy/Angel/Firefly and Serenity where he had hardly any budget. Now he gets to unleash all of that on something he's passionate about with a budget of at least $200 million behind him.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 135
RE: The Avengers - 5/1/2011 12:00:44 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan
I have faith in Whedon too, he's someone I thought would make a great director for The Avengers, as soon as the idea for an Avengers film was announced. I also read in an interview with him where he said something along the lines of everyone's making films like The Dark Knight which is a gritty, realistic take on a Superhero film and Kick Ass/Watchmen which is a postmodern take on superhero films, before anyone's actually made a 'true' honest to god superhero film, and he wants to make that.

Is this really accurate though? I would class the first two Spiderman films as a 'proper superhero film'. Same can be said for most of Marvels output so far. Even the Green Lantern looks more like a general comic book film as opposed to an ironic take on the genre.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 136
RE: The Avengers - 5/1/2011 12:07:58 PM   
The Hooded Man

Would Richard Donner's Superman not be an honest to God superhero film?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 137
RE: The Avengers - 5/1/2011 12:41:17 PM   
BatFan

Whedon said it not me, if he thinks every film has been lacking something to make it into what he believes is a true superhero film, and he knows what that is and plans to do it in The Avengers then i'm interested to see it. Regarding Donner's Superman though, maybe he means no true Superhero film in the last 10 years of this superhero movie boom that's happened?

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 138
RE: The Avengers - 6/1/2011 8:13:21 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Would Richard Donner's Superman not be an honest to God superhero film?

The very example of the comic book page writ large......

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 139
RE: The Avengers - 10/1/2011 10:44:55 PM   
Marwood

quote:

Whedon said it not me, if he thinks every film has been lacking something to make it into what he believes is a true superhero film, and he knows what that is and plans to do it in The Avengers then i'm interested to see it. Regarding Donner's Superman though, maybe he means no true Superhero film in the last 10 years of this superhero movie boom that's happened?

Quite an interesting statement by him considering comics and the superheroes themselves are constantly changing based on the times and cultures they're produced in. Personally I think regardless of his particular stated vision what we'll have will be consistent with the existing shared universe films but on a grander scale, the idea is that these films are all part of the same big series so I doubt Marvel will allow massive shifts in tone and style unless it's appropriate to the individual film i.e. Thor partially taking place in another dimension and Captain America being a period film with contemporary bookends. Either way I'm looking forward to them all and come Christmas 2012 I'll probably take a day out of the festivities to do a Blu Ray marathon of them in what I believe will be the chronological order:

Captain America
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor (taking place roughly at the same time as TIH)
The Avengers

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 140
RE: The Avengers - 11/1/2011 1:19:15 AM   
BatFan

quote:

quote:

Quite an interesting statement by him considering comics and the superheroes themselves are constantly changing based on the times and cultures they're produced in. Personally I think regardless of his particular stated vision what we'll have will be consistent with the existing shared universe films but on a grander scale, the idea is that these films are all part of the same big series so I doubt Marvel will allow massive shifts in tone and style unless it's appropriate to the individual film i.e. Thor partially taking place in another dimension and Captain America being a period film with contemporary bookends. Either way I'm looking forward to them all and come Christmas 2012 I'll probably take a day out of the festivities to do a Blu Ray marathon of them in what I believe will be the chronological order:

Captain America
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
The Avengers

I plan to do the exact same thing except i'm gonna do it the day The Avengers comes out at the cinema and also i'd watch Cap as the final film before The Avengers, The film's contemporary bookends (probably the unfreezing of Steve Rogers) I think are gonna be the the last thing to happen in the Marvel timeline before The Avengers begins.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 141
RE: The Avengers - 11/1/2011 8:52:58 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

quote:

Captain America
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
The Avengers

Now that's what i call thinking ahead!!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 142
RE: The Avengers - 11/1/2011 9:47:02 AM   
Marwood

Gotta be done.

I'm also already looking at taking a day off work with the missus for when the Star Wars saga arrives on Blu Ray in September

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 143
RE: The Avengers - 4/2/2011 12:15:37 PM   
Marwood

From The Jackson's mouth:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/possible-female-candidates-to-be-nick-fury-s-new-female-sidekick-in-the-avengers-12469

I assume this will be a Shield agent so my guesses are: Sharon Carter (may also pop up in a Cap sequel), Carol Danvers (set up for a Ms Marvel appearance one day?) or maybe Maria Hill. Wasp/Janet Van Dyne seems an obvious choice too but I don't think we'll see her until the Ant Man film gets off the ground.

For Carter I think it would be a neat twist if Hayley Atwell played her in a Cap sequel as she's the niece (later retconned to granddaughter to keep things contemporary in the comics) of Peggy Carter who in The First Avenger is played by....Hayley Atwell. One thing that Steve Rogers picks up on straight away when he meets Sharon is the eerie resemblance (aside from hair colour).

< Message edited by Marwood -- 4/2/2011 12:32:07 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 144
RE: The Avengers - 4/2/2011 12:20:22 PM   
lukeyboy

Nice!

I actually still think both Ant Man and The Wasp will turn up in The Avengers - possibly (probably) the former in a minor role, and i've actually said a number of times i think Morenna Bacharin (who is heavily linked to this part) would be a great fit for The Wasp. Coincidence??.......

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 145
RE: The Avengers - 6/2/2011 4:01:31 PM   
Timon

How I Met Your Mother's Cobie Smulders has been cast as SHIELD Agent Maria Hills for The Avengers.... which I personally think is a shame as she was always my front runner for if they ever made a Wonder Woman film.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 146
RE: The Avengers - 6/2/2011 7:08:32 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

How I Met Your Mother's Cobie Smulders has been cast as SHIELD Agent Maria Hills for The Avengers.... which I personally think is a shame as she was always my front runner for if they ever made a Wonder Woman film.

Don't see why she can't. See Ryan Reynolds and his Deadpool/Green Lantern.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 147
RE: The Avengers - 7/2/2011 2:06:47 PM   
Marwood

Plus as DC are concentrating on a Wonder Woman TV series rather than movie right now you'll probably be waiting even longer to see ANYONE wearing the leotard on the big screen.

As for Smulders playing Hill I'm not familiar with the actress but like that Hill is featuring, quite an unexpected choice of character considering the amount Whedon and Marvel had to pick from and it will be interesting to see how she slots into future Marvel films.

By the way has she been officially cast now? Everything I'd read about the story stated that she was the frontrunner but hadn't actually got the part.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 148
RE: The Avengers - 8/2/2011 2:25:23 PM   
lukeyboy

Totally underwhelmed by this latest bit of news! I was kinda hoping for a "Morenna Bacharin has been cast as The Wasp" headline not this shite!!

Cobie Smulders/Maria Hill will probably only have about 30 seconds worth of screentime and even less dialogue anyway!

Just waiting for some solid news on the villains now then - or do we still think those "rumours" about the Skrulls will prove to be true??

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 149
RE: The Avengers - 8/2/2011 5:54:32 PM   
Marwood

quote:

Totally underwhelmed by this latest bit of news! I was kinda hoping for a "Morenna Bacharin has been cast as The Wasp" headline not this shite!!

Cobie Smulders/Maria Hill will probably only have about 30 seconds worth of screentime and even less dialogue anyway!

Just waiting for some solid news on the villains now then - or do we still think those "rumours" about the Skrulls will prove to be true??

Aye, I think her role will amount to an extended cameo and she'll pop up like Fury in future films - however I expect in The Avengers Fury will be in on the action to a degree so Hill will probably spend a lot of time in a control room screaming stuff like "Get outta there!", "Abort!" "Give 'em hell!" and "What the crap is going on down there?!".

As for villains I've resigned myself to them being Skrulls, however if so then I expect that Marvel will take The Ultimates Vol 1 route of them being in human form pretty much until the last big action scene/s. Plus as has been quoted numerous times before they were using The Ultimates as inspiration, that's probably more to do with tone and how to get these characters together but if they go Skrull I'll put money on it being a loose adaptation of Vol 1. As I've said before I'm not big on the cosmic areas of Marvel debuting so soon into the cinematic series but with the arrival of Thor I guess they can start expanding into the weirder areas now and Vol 1's treatment is a good way to bridge that gap between Iron Man type films and more stylings like Avengers....In Spaaaace!!!!! if that's where Feige et al see the series going.

However it's also been long rumoured (and hinted at by Tom Hiddlesden himself) that Loki will be involved in the film so there might not be anything more outrageous than in Thor. Or Red Skul & Hydra could make a return from the Cap film. With power suits. And mutant soliders led by Tim Roth's Abomination. And Frost Giants as backup.

I hope they don't just pick the same or similar villains from the other films though, Loki pulling the strings behind a new menace would be fine and Hydra being involved somehow wouldn't hurt but it would also be good to see something new.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI