Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 26/4/2012 7:28:49 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood
For example both Don Cheadle and ScarJo are confirmed as reprising their roles in Iron Man 3

You may have read already, but Scarlett Johansson is confirmed not to be in Iron Man 3. Probably a good thing as she was shoe-horned in a little to Iron Man 2. See here:

News story link

Seeing as you're one of the most senior and authoritative voices on Marvel that's left on the boards. I implore you to write your review tonight sir!

Dayam! You beat me to the retraction!

Thanks for the (slightly backhanded) compliment too Emyr but any review will have to wait until I've slept on it - it's a late showtime and I've got work in the morning. Maybe a quick caption review when I get in later.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 781
RE: The Avengers - 26/4/2012 8:15:51 PM   
Chojin

Amazing. I want to see it again. Everything that I wanted it to be, everyone gets some screen time and some nice set pieces - it just worked. Great team dynamic which doesn't seem forced..

and that post credits scene.....stay for it!

trying to keep the above as spoiler free as possible as it needs to be seen. I do have one small gripe though, but i'd rather talk about it once more people have had a chance to watch it.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 782
RE: The Avengers - 26/4/2012 8:55:40 PM   
Whistler

Just saw it, and oh my lord it's awesome. Whedon's done a fantastic job with what could've been a cluttered mess of a movie. The interaction between each of them is spot on, it gives plenty of time to focus on the characters as well as having the amazing action sequences (so it's not just like a Bay Transformers movie), it's funny (there are some brilliant lines throughout), and overall it's just damn satisfying. As Chojin said, it finishes and you want to see it again. I know I do anyway!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 783
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 12:49:58 AM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

quote:

For example both Don Cheadle and ScarJo are confirmed as reprising their roles in Iron Man 3

You may have read already, but Scarlett Johansson is confirmed not to be in Iron Man 3. Probably a good thing as she was shoe-horned in a little to Iron Man 2. See here:

News story link

Seeing as you're one of the most senior and authoritative voices on Marvel that's left on the boards. I implore you to write your review tonight sir!

Thanks for the (slightly backhanded) compliment too Emyr but any review will have to wait until I've slept on it - it's a late showtime and I've got work in the morning. Maybe a quick caption review when I get in later.

Sleep be damned!

Excellent. If I was to give the Marvel Studios films a star rating then so far:

Iron Man - 3
Thor - 3
Captain America - 3
The Incredible Hulk - 3
Iron Man 2 - 2
The Avengers - 4

This is the first great film they've produced IMO and is a great payoff for all the little seeds they've sewn into the solo films, it's been an interesting experiment and I'm very happy to report that it's worked out very, very well with this film. I owe Joss Whedon an apology because while I tried to keep an open mind I really had doubts about how well he could do helming this but like Favreau and Branagh he was the unlikely choice that really delivered. The interplay with the characters and overall script is the film's biggest strength but Whedon has definitely stepped up his game as a director since Serenity as well. There's a confidence to everything and regardless of the top talent he had supporting him on the production team/crews he managed to pull it all together superbly.

The story is simple but effective as an "origin" film for the team and nicely reintroduces the characters without getting too bogged down into exposition to explain every detail and bring you up to speed. Watching the other films is recommended but not essential basically and that was a potential stumbling block that has been skillfully sidestepped. The characters are well drawn and as mentioned their interplay is fantastic for the most part.

RDJ is on good form as Iron Man and this is much more like the Stark from Iron Man 1 rather than the childish dick he turned into in Iron Man 2. There's not a huge amount of growth for the character but just enough to move him on so it will be interesting to see how Shane Black wrangles him in Iron Man 3.

Evans further convinces that he was an ideal choice for Cap and in the film takes more steps into the noble, heroic leader mold that I think people may have been expecting him to have been in The First Avenger. The costume by the way is far better in extended motion than in stills or the trailers.

Hemsworth is again great as Thor and gets one of the bigger laughs - his use in the film is a minor complaint but really that's because personally he's neck and neck with Stark as my favourite of the film characters and I would just liked to have seen more of him here.

Ruffalo as Banner stopped me missing Edward Norton within a few minutes, IMO he's the best screen Banner we've seen so far and while his role in the team is a bit simplistic he elevates the material. The Hulk itself is also the best interpretation I think has been seen; effects wise it's a slight step up from the previous versions but certain choices in terms of movement, sound and general perfomance (if you like) while small also make him much more effective. I reiterate as well my earlier comments that Hulk's best use is definitely in a team rather than a solo star. For that reason he damn well nearly steals this film and made the biggest impact as a character in terms of humour and at times was almost scary.

SLJ plays Nick Fury here as a world weary military guy and has toned down his usual swagger - it's a less showy SLJ than I'm used to seeing and I like how he handled it. I think Fury's portrayal is reflective of the events and he's certainly less of the almost jovial guy he was in Iron Man 2.

Johansson was a real surprise. I really didn't like her in Iron Man 2 but really I now think that was due to how the character was written rather than played. I can think of several actresses I would have preferred seeing in the role for IM2 but in this she really makes the role hers IMO - Whedon and Johansson clearly worked well together on developing her.

Renner actually had a bit more to do as Hawkeye than I was expecting and I liked the character a lot; of the 6 Avengers he has the smallest role in terms of screentime but is an important part of the story and kicks a lot of ass. Good choice of actor and I hope to see him in an extended role for future films whether they be guest appearances in the solo sequels or having a larger part in Avengers 2.

Gregg was a welcome return as Coulson and Smulders was fine as Hill even if neither of them had a lot to do, again I expect we'll see more of Hill to grow as a character and I look forward to what Smulders does with her while Coulson deserves a large part in whatever Marvel does next - they have some explaining to do though.

Hiddleston is on fire as Loki here - thought he was great in Thor but he's really raised things for Loki Mk2. This guy is an absolute bastard and Hiddleston plays him brilliantly, he's worlds away from the Loki of Thor's first film but it feels like a very real evolution of the character. Possibly the best performance in the whole film.

Skarsgaard was fine but didn't really have much to do either - luckily he's enough of a pro to make even his small moments feel bigger on screen than they are on the page but he's just a cipher here.

The alien army are basically cannon fodder and pretty forgettable considering they're mentioned several times as some ominous force of destruction throughout the film.

Action and effects are top notch.

Music was fine and hit all the beats but missed a really stirring signature theme - is it really only Williams and Elfman that can write those?! (Actually I'll add the Thor film's theme as being close to that level - Patrick Doyle I think).

Overall the best time I've had at the cinema for ages - not perfect but met and exceeded expectations. I would urge people to avoid the 3D though; it's a better conversion job than others I've seen but is still too distracting in too many places, a lot of annoying blur in the action scenes really pissed me off. I'd hoped to avoid the 3D altogether but my friends had other ideas so I've now decided to watch the film at least once more on the big screen but in 2D as I feel that's likely to be the better presentation.

I hope it's a big success and Marvel don't rest on their laurels; looking forward to the solo sequels and the inevitable Avengers 2. If I have a word of advice I'd suggest the solo films are less tied to an overall multi-film arc as the groundwork (including a potential plot for Avengers 2) has been laid - they just need to bring them together again to kick ass.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 27/4/2012 12:57:18 AM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 784
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 7:37:43 AM   
primebhoy

So can we talk about potential storylines for a sequel yet? There were two possible nods in the closing stages of the movie (post credits being one)....I'd love one and dont know too much about the other tbh.

As Marwood has already said, this film kicks ass!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 785
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 7:41:18 AM   
primebhoy

Oh and if anyone has still to see this and has a couple of days or so, then watch the two Ultimate Avengers movies from marvel. That might help you recognise the aliens in this film.

I didnt understand all the chat about people not knowing who they were.... especially from people on here... I thought we were all pretty much marvel geeks!

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 786
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 1:14:19 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: primebhoy

Oh and if anyone has still to see this and has a couple of days or so, then watch the two Ultimate Avengers movies from marvel. That might help you recognise the aliens in this film.

I didnt understand all the chat about people not knowing who they were.... especially from people on here... I thought we were all pretty much marvel geeks!

Well to be honest I think Marvel used the name of the race and only that for the film interpretation - I remember the aliens in the comics and the Ultimate animated films being very different to what was presented here. As far as I'm concerned they were essentially creations for the film, in there purely to be smashed up.

By the way did anyone sit in a screening that had 2 credits/post scenes? I stayed through to the end and there was one sting midway through the credits but not the second post credits one I'd read was in there. I wondered if it was something that only the shows in the US would get - i.e. did it have anything to do with the last minute reshoot they did after the premiere and thereby too late to insert to the film sent out to the foreign markets? Seeing as quite a few countries have got the film at least a week before the US it wouldn't surprise me.

Re sequel discussion I think we're best off creating a new thread for Avengers 2 or something. Or wait for Empire to create the official one before we get several pages in on an unofficial and it just ends up getting locked.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 787
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 2:14:41 PM   
primebhoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: primebhoy

Well to be honest I think Marvel used the name of the race and only that for the film interpretation - I remember the aliens in the comics and the Ultimate animated films being very different to what was presented here. As far as I'm concerned they were essentially creations for the film, in there purely to be smashed up.

By the way did anyone sit in a screening that had 2 credits/post scenes? I stayed through to the end and there was one sting midway through the credits but not the second post credits one I'd read was in there. I wondered if it was something that only the shows in the US would get - i.e. did it have anything to do with the last minute reshoot they did after the premiere and thereby too late to insert to the film sent out to the foreign markets? Seeing as quite a few countries have got the film at least a week before the US it wouldn't surprise me.

Re sequel discussion I think we're best off creating a new thread for Avengers 2 or something. Or wait for Empire to create the official one before we get several pages in on an unofficial and it just ends up getting locked.

I didnt wait till the end, only waited for the post actors credits scene as thats all that I had heard mentioned.

I think i wasn't clear in my other post re the alien race. I was meaning for name and the fact that they invaded earth only to familiarise, not on their appearance/ability (Did they not have vibranium armour or something like that?)

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 788
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 2:57:48 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Apologies, I meant no disrespect to you. If you're referring to the "most senior and authoritative voice on Marvel that's left on the boards" comment. That's nothing against you, just ruing the fact some people have left who are just as passionate and knowledgable on the subject. Although saying that, I'd always pick you as my go-to-guy Marvel knowledge bucket
. Please don't see it as back-handed. Makes me sounds like an ungrateful king! "Show fealty and kiss the ring!" "No!" "Kiss the bloody ring!" *thwack* .

Excellent review there. Post it in the review thread if you haven't already done so. I've heard a lot of good things about Mark Ruffalo in this film. I love his "we're not a team, we're a timebomb" comment in the trailer. Would you he say he's a much better Banner/Hulk (despite Bana and Norton not playing him) than any of his predecessors? Especially Norton.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/4/2012 2:58:36 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 789
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 4:25:54 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

Apologies, I meant no disrespect to you. If you're referring to the "most senior and authoritative voice on Marvel that's left on the boards" comment. That's nothing against you, just ruing the fact some people have left who are just as passionate and knowledgable on the subject. Although saying that, I'd always pick you as my go-to-guy Marvel knowledge bucket
. Please don't see it as back-handed. Makes me sounds like an ungrateful king! "Show fealty and kiss the ring!" "No!" "Kiss the bloody ring!" *thwack* .

Excellent review there. Post it in the review thread if you haven't already done so. I've heard a lot of good things about Mark Ruffalo in this film. I love his "we're not a team, we're a timebomb" comment in the trailer. Would you he say he's a much better Banner/Hulk (despite Bana and Norton not playing him) than any of his predecessors? Especially Norton.

No worries Emyr, I wasn't taking any offense.

I think the main difference between how Ruffalo plays Banner is that he's a bit lighter and comes across more as a man who's more or less accepted his problem and trying not to let it control every aspect of him. Bana's Banner was a man discovering the curse and scared of it whereas Norton's Banner was someone who was desparately trying to cure it. Ruffalo's Banner is almost at peace with the problem but also knows it is something he has to control.

On a personal level I think I identified more with his portrayal feeling very real as he reminded me a lot of a family member who suffered a debilitating stroke some years ago, made a reasonably strong recovery but still suffers some problems (ranging from very minor to quite serious) in his daily life due to it and as such is constantly working at keeping a quality of life close to how things were before but also knowing that it will never be the same. On reflection Ruffalo's Banner was quite touching for me given that link.

Regardless of those personal feelings I'd say Ruffalo is the most entertaining Banner so far and his dialogue is very much a mix of the serious and comedic that Whedon's script has given each character. It suits him very well.

The Hulk is also my favourite version so far; effects wise it's a slight improvement over TIH in the respect that it looks and feels a bit more "real" but is closer in look to the Ang Lee Hulk in terms of the build and movement. It's also very recognisably Ruffalo's face he's wearing and that I think helps keep the connection between his performance as both sides of the character. Hulk also gets some of the best moments of the film and like I said before it's him and Loki that stood out most as the characters I really enjoyed seeing in action throughout. I think it's hard to say whether this Banner/Hulk is better than the previous versions because of personal preference but for me yes he's the best screen version so far.

Post #: 790
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 4:49:48 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Well after seeing it I definetly want the Vision in it BUT! not played by "SIR" Jim Parsons as have said before but a certain someone from all the Marvel Avenger tie-in films.
Also heard on Kermode & Mayo that it had the 3rd best Thursday opening in UK ever.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 27/4/2012 4:52:43 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 791
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 7:12:37 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Does Captain America excel in the film? I came across this rather dismissive and snarky comment in the Daily Express review:

"The only thing you fight for is yourself” harrumphs Captain America whose precise super-powers I couldn’t quite fathom beyond a very square jaw."

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 792
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 27/4/2012 8:26:49 PM   
Vadersville

Loved it. So much so that I wanted to watch it again straight after. My only one, minor complaint was that after explaining away Natalie Portman they didn't say anything about War Machine! I'm actually glad that he didn't turn up but I couldn't ignore this niggling plot hole. SHIELD would have definitley called on him with the others. Heck, he would have turned up even if he wasn't asked. All they needed was one line to say why he wasn't there. Still, small complaint for what is an epic film!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 793
Avengers 2 - 14/5/2012 2:25:13 PM   
Rob

So are we sticking to this thread for sequel discussions?

Anyway spoilers below for the film;

Obviously this has been a phenomenal success both critically and commercially so what do we reckon for the sequel? Who would we like to see added to the roster if indeed anyone. Storylines etc?

I think whilst it would be great to see some new characters added the balance of the first team worked so well I'm not sure how much I'd want to mess with that. That said there are a few characters that could work really well in my opinion.

Spider-woman - visually a great character anyway and has worked for Shield and Hydra so can be easily established. Additionally with the demise of Agent Coulson there's an opening for another Shield Agent. Concerns would be that what would she really offer that you couldn't get from Black Widow? However, she one of my favourite characters so would love her to be involved.

The Vision - I expect this is the most likely addition although the origin would need some much tweaking.

Giant / Ant-man / Scott Pym - Never really liked the character if truth be told but I'm probably in the minority.

As for storylines; Civil War would be great but I think it's too soon and perhaps a tad convoluted for part 2. My Avengers knowledge isn't as extensive as some others on here but my concern with something like the Kree / Skrull war is that (licensing issues aside) it doesn't offer a significantly different threat to the Chitauri in my opinion.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 794
RE: Avengers 2 - 14/5/2012 4:50:14 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

So are we sticking to this thread for sequel discussions?

Anyway spoilers below for the film;

Obviously this has been a phenomenal success both critically and commercially so what do we reckon for the sequel? Who would we like to see added to the roster if indeed anyone. Storylines etc?

I think whilst it would be great to see some new characters added the balance of the first team worked so well I'm not sure how much I'd want to mess with that. That said there are a few characters that could work really well in my opinion.

Spider-woman - visually a great character anyway and has worked for Shield and Hydra so can be easily established. Additionally with the demise of Agent Coulson there's an opening for another Shield Agent. Concerns would be that what would she really offer that you couldn't get from Black Widow? However, she one of my favourite characters so would love her to be involved.

The Vision - I expect this is the most likely addition although the origin would need some much tweaking.

Giant / Ant-man / Scott Pym - Never really liked the character if truth be told but I'm probably in the minority.

As for storylines; Civil War would be great but I think it's too soon and perhaps a tad convoluted for part 2. My Avengers knowledge isn't as extensive as some others on here but my concern with something like the Kree / Skrull war is that (licensing issues aside) it doesn't offer a significantly different threat to the Chitauri in my opinion.

SPOILERS for Avengers below;

I don't think they need another SHIELD agent as they have Cobie Smulders's character now so I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave her more to do although I'm under the impression that unlike Coulson her character (Hill) is an established comic book character and I don't know what her role is in them. On a side note, without Coulson I'd be interested to see who'll be making the SHIELD cameos in future stand-alone films, that is presuming they'll keep them up.

Regarding new characters, I'm not familiar with the comics so I have no preferences but I agree that the balance for this film was great and I wouldn't like to see that upset too much.

Storylines; again I'm not familiar with the comics, but I'm presuming the mid-credit scene will be important, Thanos isn't it? Don't know how that would play out though, would he come with another army?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 795
RE: Avengers 2 - 15/5/2012 4:30:46 PM   
blackduck

I assume they'll spend the next few movies building up Thanos as the big bad for avengers 2, small post credit scene in Ironman 3, probally bigger but still backround role in Thor 2 etc. Cos right now most most people have no idea who Thanos is. Mind you few short years ago nobody really know who Iron man was (remember the kerfuffle when Empire first put him on the cover?). I think (hope) that Marvel didn't just plan up to Avengers but well beyond it.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 796
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 15/5/2012 4:52:03 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

Does Captain America excel in the film? I came across this rather dismissive and snarky comment in the Daily Express review:

"The only thing you fight for is yourself” harrumphs Captain America whose precise super-powers I couldn't quite fathom beyond a very square jaw."

Captain America is great in this.  So much better than in his own film and I don't think it's all down to the Out-of-Time aspect.  They just nailed his wholesome, but experienced soldier character better. As I put it at the time "Captain America was great, he was way more Captainy!".  You get see what he is physically capable of and better, you get to see him assert authority and command onto a situation.

Also he has an awesome line about God and how he dresses.

Post #: 797
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 15/5/2012 7:13:11 PM   
jobloffski

How about ending all lead in films to Avengers 2 with cliffhangers sucker punching the audience and setting up the opening sequence of the sequel?

To avoid too much repetition, end the said films, whatever their own chronology, at the same moment, each hero being respectively punked, and being taken from where they happen to be to...wherever they are being taken, with A2 starting with the respective snatch squads arriving at (location x) with their prize for their master (character x) who intends to carry out their plan with the Avengers incarcerated and unable to stop them.

Moody start to A2, the heroes brought low by x...enter Nick Fury, being taunted by x over coms that 'we have your champions' with a retort 'Not all of them'

A rescue mission introducing Avengers Y and Z ensues immediately, the Avengers are freed, SHIELD takes heavy losses, bad guy escapes to plan another day, but he has only been testing SHIELD to see what they have. Avengers banter/bicker with 'the new guys' etc. The real plan is revealed later, after several decoy plans designed to push all to their limits...and then, etc.

Sorry, I jst pull this stuff out of my arse sometimes, and no doubt it shows

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 15/5/2012 7:15:21 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 798
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 15/5/2012 7:47:39 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

How about ending all lead in films to Avengers 2 with cliffhangers sucker punching the audience and setting up the opening sequence of the sequel?

To avoid too much repetition, end the said films, whatever their own chronology, at the same moment, each hero being respectively punked, and being taken from where they happen to be to...wherever they are being taken, with A2 starting with the respective snatch squads arriving at (location x) with their prize for their master (character x) who intends to carry out their plan with the Avengers incarcerated and unable to stop them.

Moody start to A2, the heroes brought low by x...enter Nick Fury, being taunted by x over coms that 'we have your champions' with a retort 'Not all of them'

A rescue mission introducing Avengers Y and Z ensues immediately, the Avengers are freed, SHIELD takes heavy losses, bad guy escapes to plan another day, but he has only been testing SHIELD to see what they have. Avengers banter/bicker with 'the new guys' etc. The real plan is revealed later, after several decoy plans designed to push all to their limits...and then, etc.

I would prefer some ongoing rivalry over the course of these films over faceless villains that our heros never meet. While Thanos is inevitable I think a smackdown against a group of supervillains from each film- Loki, Abomination, Red Skull (this guy surely has to come back). Its a shame both Iron Monger and Whiplash have been dealt with. Dont know much about Sam Stern (incredible hulk) other than he has a big head so im not sure what his threat is. But anyway, thats my opinion.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 799
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 15/5/2012 7:57:29 PM   
jobloffski

Don't know enough about the comics to suggest who the baddie would be, hence 'x' the baddie would be introduced at the start and not be a big (and let's face it, going from the first film) a disappointing surprise. A one guy playing the heroes scenario is what I'm getting at. Not sure there's enough chance for too much interplay re ongoing rivalries in movie running times spread over years, but whatever big bad could fit the schematic could be used. Wasn't going for any set in stone ideas, just offering improvised bare bones overall structure. Reckon it might be neat for all lead in films to be ending at the same moment though, given that literally makes the characters converge. Would prefer in running time stuff to 'easter egg' shenanigans again, and if at all possible, no interruption of main narratives by Avengers stuff, because the 'why doesn't he just call on the others' situation arises, and the re-establishment of individual characters as heroes in their own right needs to occur.

Or not, more arse pullage idea creating going on in the above

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 800
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 17/5/2012 3:10:26 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

"The only thing you fight for is yourself” harrumphs Captain America whose precise super-powers I couldn't quite fathom beyond a very square jaw."

Captain America is great in this.  So much better than in his own film and I don't think it's all down to the Out-of-Time aspect.  They just nailed his wholesome, but experienced soldier character better. As I put it at the time "Captain America was great, he was way more Captainy!".  You get see what he is physically capable of and better, you get to see him assert authority and command onto a situation.

Also he has an awesome line about God and how he dresses.

Strongly agree! I've seen the film twice. And he was my favourite character by far. Even though I thought everyone had their moment and they all did superbly well. I also thought his hand-to-hand skills and athleticism really was put on show. I loved it when he went toe-to-toe with Loki. He had a few good shots in, even gave him a good jab in the kidney . And a nice line about when he was last in Germany. And at the end he does come into his own. Pretty much ran the show. Huge kudos to Chris Evans as he played Cap exactly as he's supposed to be played.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 17/5/2012 3:13:25 PM >

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 801
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 17/5/2012 4:51:34 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

I would prefer some ongoing rivalry over the course of these films over faceless villains that our heros never meet. While Thanos is inevitable I think a smackdown against a group of supervillains from each film- Loki, Abomination, Red Skull (this guy surely has to come back). Its a shame both Iron Monger and Whiplash have been dealt with. Dont know much about Sam Stern (incredible hulk) other than he has a big head so im not sure what his threat is. But anyway, thats my opinion.

He'd become The Leader (in the comics anyway). A criminal mastermind with superhuman intelligence. If anyone read the Avengers prelude comics which lead straight into this film (SPOILERS if anyone wants to and hasn't) he was discovered by Black Widow just after the accident at the lab and he'd already transformed. He tries to bribe her and in turn she shoots him and turns him over to SHIELD. You later see him in their bunker undergoing experiments. I think Nelson is signed up for another film if they revisit the character. I'd love to see more links with TIH film in future Avengers films personally. It definitely feels sadly sidelined after Norton's departure.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 802
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 17/5/2012 5:24:25 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

...well he can headbutt and throw himself against machines. I'm sure he'll show up in the future somewhere. I really like your suggestion with Loki, Abomination and Red Skull. Of course there could be another cadre of villains to join them. Would make for an interesting anti-thesis to the Avengers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy
He tries to bribe her and in turn she shoots him and turns him over to SHIELD.

Seems a bit excessive for just a bribe.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 803
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 17/5/2012 6:16:04 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

quote:

...well he can headbutt and throw himself against machines. I'm sure he'll show up in the future somewhere. I really like your suggestion with Loki, Abomination and Red Skull. Of course there could be another cadre of villains to join them. Would make for an interesting anti-thesis to the Avengers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy
He tries to bribe her and in turn she shoots him and turns him over to SHIELD.

Seems a bit excessive for just a bribe.

She's badass what can I say.

Post #: 804
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 17/5/2012 6:34:00 PM   
Emyr Thy King

A bit like Derek Bird then.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 805
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 19/5/2012 9:33:01 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Blimey they don't hang around do they already seen AD for the B.Ray/DVD coming Sept 25th with the extras named.

Post #: 806
RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser - 15/6/2012 10:23:43 AM   
spark1

details of an extended cut at-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jun/14/avengers-directors-cut-joss-whedon?intcmp=ILCMUSIMG9382

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 807
RE: The Avengers - 15/6/2012 11:48:04 AM   
Invader_Ace

Already debunked.  Apparently a misunderstanding.
http://whedonesque.com/comments/29070

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 808
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers - Superbowl Teaser Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI