Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Avengers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 10:17:34 AM   
The Hooded Man

Not to mention his shaved head, surely Perseus would be the very embodiment of Greek manhood at the time, flowing locks and beard etc?
I don't really mind Leterrier, he's average to say least but when it becomes a problem is when he gets directing gigs on films that really deserve the very best people to be working on. But hiring him to do The Avengers would tie in with Marvel's cheapskate new policy.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 31
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 10:27:42 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Not to mention his shaved head, surely Perseus would be the very embodiment of Greek manhood at the time, flowing locks and beard etc?
I don't really mind Leterrier, he's average to say least but when it becomes a problem is when he gets directing gigs on films that really deserve the very best people to be working on. But hiring him to do The Avengers would tie in with Marvel's cheapskate new policy.

Well he did a great job with The Incredible Hulk and Clash Of The Titans is shaping up nicely so hes not a bad choice to direct The Avengers.

I think wed all have reason to panic if Ang Lee was announced as director for the Avengers.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 26/3/2010 10:30:47 AM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 32
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 10:38:04 AM   
Marwood

quote:

Who's playing John Steed and Emma Peel? Seriously though won't they have to call this The Ultimates to avoid confusion with the well known TV series / terrible film? After all if you ask any none comic book fan who are The Avengers that's what they'll say?

I think The Avengers reference is only going to be an issue in the UK and we're quite a small demographic in Hollywood's eyes. Besides Marvel's press release thing last year (or the year before) listed the film title as The Avengers and Nick Fury calls it "The Avenger Initiative" in his Iron Man cameo so they'll probably be sticking with that - I think there'd be a hardcore fanboy meltdown if it was called The Ultimates. Of course they could always call it The Ultimates or Ultimate Avengers or The Avengers Initiative over here if they think it will be a real problem.

Re Alex Proyas - I think he's a very good director after seeing Dark City and I, Robot...plus The Crow is fantastic. One thing I think may go against him is that apparently he had clashes with the studio on I, Robot and there was some great quote of his when Fox were scrabbling around trying to find a director to meet the X-Men 3 release date  - "I wouldn't direct X3 for all the tea in China!".

Not sure if that means he's anti-studio or just anti-Fox (who could blame him for that?) but maybe he's turned his back on Hollywood. If we're talking a shortlist of directors here I'd quite like to see:

Doug Liman - there would be some production problems as with all his films but I think he'd be up to the job.

Bryan Singer - if he wasn't tied into the X-Men series again and all those other projects I think he'd be a good fit. His X-Men films (particularly X2) imo showed he can juggle the superhero ensemble and deliver some cracking action. However Superman Returns had some problems and there would probably be a big backlash over that from a lot of fans.

Matthew Vaughn - nearly made Thor, nearly made X3 and with Layer Cake, Stardust and all the good stuff I've been reading about Kick Ass I think he's got the goods. However his relationship with Marvel may be a bit poisonous over Thor and he may want more control over the project than they're likely to give.

Neil Blokamp (sp) - District 9 was great and if Peter Jackson had the faith to hand him the Halo reins (before the studios backed out) then he's definitely got something.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

Post #: 33
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 11:20:27 AM   
The Hooded Man

I have to disagree strongly about Leterrier doing a great job on Incredible Hulk, for me it was a by the numbers job and a box ticking exercise at best, but we'll go round in circles saying why we hated / loved it, let's just hope whoever directs The Avengers does a great job.
Barring Iron Man 2 being a disaster, if I was a Marvel exec I'd spend some time trying to get Favreau to change his mind.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 26/3/2010 11:22:19 AM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 34
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 11:29:01 AM   
lukeyboy

How about Paul WS Anderson or Uwe Boll,....or better still - George Lucas!

Actually, i would have to agree with an earlier post that Alex Proyas would do a great job - either him or Robert Rodriguez directing with The Wachowski brothers producing! ......That would be cooool!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 35
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 3:25:45 PM   
Marwood

Rodriguez would be cool but I think he'd be too much of a rebel, I'm still amazed that Fox have given the apparent level of creative influence on Predators without Tom Rothman micro-managing it.

You don't need a yes man or you might as well hire a Ratner but certainly someone who will keep in line with the development they've already done on it - Favs would be the top pick but he's said before he's not convinced Thor will work alongside Iron Man so unless Ken's film changes his mind then he'll probably stick to producing, plus he's slated for Cowboys & Aliens so that will be keeping him busy as a director.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 36
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 3:34:22 PM   
The Hooded Man

it has to be someone who has a modicum of success with big budget event films but after Cap and Thor we could be looking at Branagh or Johnson taking the helm.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 37
RE: The Avengers - 26/3/2010 3:51:33 PM   
Marwood

Very true, I guess if Thor & Cap run through the rest of their productions smoothly and turn out to be successful then perhaps those two will be approached.

In a way though it might be interesting to bring in someone new to the Marvel series because of the fresh perspective. I've no doubt that the production style would be similar to the solo films to try and keep a unified feel or look but a bit of new blood could also bring something else to the table.

Edgar Wright's name has popped up a few times in discussion as he's still apparently making the Ant Man film for Marvel (albeit I'm sure in the time since he first started script work things will have changed to make it fit with their new cinematic universe) but maybe he'd be a good shout for The Avengers too? Admittedly he hasn't played in that kind of big arena yet but he's a talented dude and Scott Pilgrim is looking very weirdly cool.

Post #: 38
RE: The Avengers - 30/3/2010 2:47:44 PM   
JIm R

Link concerning the two Chris' Hemsworth and Evans....

http://www.superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9220

from superherohype

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 39
RE: The Avengers - 30/3/2010 3:37:28 PM   
Marwood

That's interesting - they'll start production quite a bit earlier than I expected as Cap and Thor won't even have been released by then. Subject to change I guess but this is the first real word on when they've discussed gearing up for it - also good to hear he's in favour of Evans (although he'd hardly be likely to start trashing him in an interview like that).

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 40
RE: The Avengers - 2/4/2010 4:19:01 PM   
The Hooded Man

Apparently Joss Whedon's in the frame for The Avengers now.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 41
RE: The Avengers - 2/4/2010 6:07:22 PM   
Marwood

quote:

A few other sites are claiming an April Fools joke.

Not fussed either way as I'm not a paid up member of the Whedon fan club but think he's got a good pedigree as a writer (although for me as a director he's yet to stand out - Serenity was ok I guess). I think Leterrier would be a better choice from a spectacle point of view but Whedon could certainly bring out the character work - I wonder though if he'd really be interested in directing from another script seeing as he comes across as an "ideas man". Saying that he has a good relationship with Marvel and I'm sure whoever does direct will be developing the script further with Zack Penn, Jon Favreau and the producers.

Post #: 42
RE: The Avengers - 2/4/2010 6:12:26 PM   
The Hooded Man

Whedon seems an odd fit for this but Serenity is miles better than anything the French Paul WS Anderson has produced but that's really not saying a whole lot.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 43
RE: The Avengers - 6/4/2010 12:24:39 PM   
lukeyboy

Joss Whedon would be an awesome fit for this in my opinion for three reasons :- 
1) Because of his apparent love of comic books (if you haven't read it yet check out his take on the X-Men) 
2) The fact that Serenity was all kinds of awesome.
3) It would probably mean that Nathan Fillion would have a part in it somewhere.........Hawkeye perhaps??....

Oh, and i also think he's a fairly competent director too, which y'know,.....helps n'that.....

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 44
RE: The Avengers - 6/4/2010 1:37:12 PM   
Marwood

While I'm not Whedon's biggest fan I agree that his knowledge and love of the source material would be a huge benefit and his previous efforts have emphasised character as much (if not more than) spectacle.

Point 3 on your list Luke is my concern seeing as this would be a far bigger arena than he has been in before - Serenity included seeing as it was a very lean budget for his ambitions. However that's not a bad thing seeing as other directors have taken up that challenge and pulled it off, particularly in the comic book adaptations with:

Chris Nolan - previous film: Insomnia
Sam Raimi - previous film: The Gift
Bryan Singer - previous film: Apt Pupil
Jon Favreau - previous film: Elf (or maybe Zarutha - can't remember)

To name a few.

I'd still much prefer Edgar Wright if we're talking pop culture afficiandoes who have so far made cult TV shows and tackled lower budget fantasy/sci fi fare. However Whedon could be up to it so what the hell, maybe he's the right man.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 45
RE: The Avengers - 13/4/2010 11:02:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

More talk of Joss Whedon has surfaced -

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/13/joss-whedon-in-final-negotiations-to-direct-the-avengers/

I know next to nothing about his work (Buffy and all that doesn't interest me) but I watched SERENITY and enjoyed it - he could prove an interesting choice; he is a big fanboy after all.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 46
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 2:09:18 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

Not fussed either way as I'm not a paid up member of the Whedon fan club but think he's got a good pedigree as a writer (although for me as a director he's yet to stand out - Serenity was ok I guess). I think Leterrier would be a better choice from a spectacle point of view but Whedon could certainly bring out the character work - I wonder though if he'd really be interested in directing from another script seeing as he comes across as an "ideas man". Saying that he has a good relationship with Marvel and I'm sure whoever does direct will be developing the script further with Zack Penn, Jon Favreau and the producers.

I suspect he'll probably be contracted do the final script polish at the very least. Whilst he's... a little overrated,  he remains a great choice for this project, hope it pans out.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 47
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 9:08:28 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

quote:

I suspect he'll probably be contracted do the final script polish at the very least. Whilst he's... a little overrated,  he remains a great choice for this project, hope it pans out.

Let's hope so - Zack Penn is the current writer and seeing as he contributed to X-Men: The Last Stand and the Fantastic Four films I don't exactly have a lot of faith in him. Whedon at the least is a good writer and conceptualist so if he ends up doing a polish or complete rewrite then providing he doesn't make the characters all post-modern, ironic smart arses this is a good thing.

I'm still not sure if he's going to work out well as an actual director though so I'll reserve opinion on that until we start seeing some footage. However Marvel surely wouldn't hand the project to someone inexperienced as a director unless they had a lot of faith in him. Plus their choices of directors so far have been guys who haven't really played in the large scale sci-fi/fantasy arena before (aside from maybe Joe Johnston) - Favreau, Leterrier and Branagh are all surprising choices for the characters they've tackled/currently tackling.

Still nothing's official yet so Whedon may be a finalist but he's not got it yet - Marvel may go with someone else. If so then I'm still hoping for Edgar Wright.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 48
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 9:25:54 AM   
JIm R

Whilst I would welcome Whedon, I can't help thinking this maybe Mathew Vaughn's time.

The strength of Kick Ass is proven, solid box office thus far and a keen eye for character and stylised cinematography, the only downturn is the way he was treated with X3.

That may prove a turn off for him and dealing with big studio execs breathing down his neck is a world away from the freedom he had with Kick Ass.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 49
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 9:58:33 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Whilst I would welcome Whedon, I can't help thinking this maybe Mathew Vaughn's time.

The strength of Kick Ass is proven, solid box office thus far and a keen eye for character and stylised cinematography, the only downturn is the way he was treated with X3.

That may prove a turn off for him and dealing with big studio execs breathing down his neck is a world away from the freedom he had with Kick Ass.

I would agree that Vaughn would be a great choice - Kick Ass was superb and i really enjoyed Stardust too, but I'm a big fan of Whedon and because of his comic book background and his clear love for the fantasy genre he would be my first choice! Plus, this means that the fanboys (me included) have a better chance of seeing Nathan Fillion (who should by rights be in every film ever made) as an Avenger - Hank Pym a.k.a Giant/Ant Man woudl be my choice for him!

Go team Joss!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 50
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 10:11:16 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Plus from interviews he seems a bit sore at them over Thor - he was into preproduction on that when Marvel delayed it to see how Iron Man was going to do before giving Thor the official greenlight. Vaughn walked.

I agree that he might be happier as an independent filmmaker considering the success of Kick Ass, although Marvel are an "independent studio" so they may well be better at working with the filmmakers rather than say Fox who have this rep of executives micromanaging films (X3 and Wolverine apparently suffered that problem at their hands).

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 51
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 10:37:20 AM   
Timon

Yeah Vaughn seems to have had bad luck with Marvel with X-Men 3 and Thor. Personally, I'm hoping he takes The Man From UNCLE gig - he has often said he wanted to do a Bond film and post-Quantum of Solace said he had been approached by WB to reinvigorate UNCLE, so I personally hope that goes ahead.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 52
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 12:36:33 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah Vaughn seems to have had bad luck with Marvel with X-Men 3 and Thor. Personally, I'm hoping he takes The Man From UNCLE gig - he has often said he wanted to do a Bond film and post-Quantum of Solace said he had been approached by WB to reinvigorate UNCLE, so I personally hope that goes ahead.

Vaughn isn't involved with UNCLE currently - Aintitcoolnews has a story on that film's new writer and apparently the attached director is David Dobkin (Clay Pigeons, Wedding Crashers). I could see him doing a Bond film though.

I hope Whedon can turn out something that warrants the fanboy enthusiasm but love for genre does not a good director make. Mark Steven Johnson is a big fan of comic book properties but managed to badly screw up both Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Whedon's got a better pedigree than Johnson admittedly but you know what I mean - I hope he can step up and do a Favreau or Nolan on this. I can't shake the feeling though that Whedon could turn out to be a David Goyer - far better writer of this stuff than director. Hopefully collaboration with Marvel (and Favs if he's going to have good input) and a good assistant director & second unit could give Whedon a boost. 

Having seen Clash of The Titans my faith in Leterrier has really dropped (even though I like Incredible Hulk) so at this point I'd rather see an unknown quantity like Whedon take it on.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 12:56:45 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Vaughn isn't involved with UNCLE currently - Aintitcoolnews has a story on that film's new writer and apparently the attached director is David Dobkin (Clay Pigeons, Wedding Crashers). I could see him doing a Bond film though.

I hope Whedon can turn out something that warrants the fanboy enthusiasm but love for genre does not a good director make. Mark Steven Johnson is a big fan of comic book properties but managed to badly screw up both Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Whedon's got a better pedigree than Johnson admittedly but you know what I mean - I hope he can step up and do a Favreau or Nolan on this. I can't shake the feeling though that Whedon could turn out to be a David Goyer - far better writer of this stuff than director. Hopefully collaboration with Marvel (and Favs if he's going to have good input) and a good assistant director & second unit could give Whedon a boost. 

Having seen Clash of The Titans my faith in Leterrier has really dropped (even though I like Incredible Hulk) so at this point I'd rather see an unknown quantity like Whedon take it on.

Watch the Director's Cut of Daredevil - he didn't screw it up, the film was taken away from him by the studio and bloody Avi Arad and edited to fuck to make a 90 minute easy disposable film, the extended version indicates he knew exactly how the character should be portrayed.

Ghost Rider is a really hard character to place on screen and was a reasonable effort I thought.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 54
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 2:47:03 PM   
Marwood

Fair points Jim but I've got a copy of the DD Director's Cut and in my opinion it doesn't make the film any better, just longer. I'd heard good things about it so picked it up a while ago in a sale.

It doesn't fix the at times terrible dialogue, miscasting of Affleck & Garner, whine rock soundtrack and shoddy CG Daredevil (that one I could never figure out considering parkour has been in existence long before Casino Royale brought it into big films); plus it gives us Coolio (yes, Coolio) as an unfunny bit of "comic relief" in a subplot explaining how the police find out Fisk is Kingpin. Those are just my opinions though; there were moments where it nearly worked but they were too few and far between.

Ghost Rider though was a terrible mess, arguably he's a hard character to translate but it's not like that sets him apart from the Hulk or X-Men. It had great special effects but the casting, storyline, dialogue (Johnson needs a co-writer if he ever tries another adap) were all way below par - except for Sam Elliot: he's the balls.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 14/4/2010 2:54:31 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 55
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 3:01:14 PM   
JIm R

quote:

Fair points Jim but I've got a copy of the DD Director's Cut and in my opinion it doesn't make the film any better, just longer. I'd heard good things about it so picked it up a while ago in a sale.

It doesn't fix the at times terrible dialogue, miscasting of Affleck & Garner, whine rock soundtrack and shoddy CG Daredevil (that one I could never figure out considering parkour has been in existence long before Casino Royale brought it into big films); plus it gives us Coolio (yes, Coolio) as an unfunny bit of "comic relief" in a subplot explaining how the police find out Fisk is Kingpin. Those are just my opinions though; there were moments where it nearly worked but they were too few and far between.

Ghost Rider though was a terrible mess, arguably he's a hard character to translate but it's not like that sets him apart from the Hulk or X-Men. It had great special effects but the casting, storyline, dialogue (Johnson needs a co-writer if he ever tries another adap) were all way below par - except for Sam Elliot: he's the balls.

Marwood - I wouldn't dream of telling you about the merits / pitfalls of the film or character , and I agree with you there were elements of the film that didn't work, however, DD always seems to get a bad press when it's as good as other Marvel work but gets slated where the films in comparible quaility and faithfulness get let off.

Anway, back on subject, if I had a direct 50/50 choice between Whedon and Vaughn, would go Vaughn but as people are saying, I think his history with Marvel will put pay to that.

Whedon though is great at character and adds depth to them, his dialogue is always snappy and strong (I know we have the delights of Kal Penn on this), will be a strong film I reckon

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 56
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 3:08:04 PM   
Marwood

Agree to disagree then

I'm with you on Whedon though, Vaughn is a more accomplished filmmaker but if Whedon's got a strong script and the existing actors either keep their previous form (RDJ, SLJ and Norton if he ends up in the film) or their debuts turn out as well as we're hoping (Evans and Hemsworth) then he's got a fighting chance.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 57
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 3:14:00 PM   
JIm R

It's the cast that will make the film, if nothing else Marvel have got actors in the leads and not just 'movie stars', arguebly RDJ and Norton are amongst the best of their prospective generations, Evans is ideal casting and Hemsworth (admitedly only know from Trek, but his screentime held me captivated, he owned the screen when he was on it), Thor will rock I'm very sure and if they can tie down Vaughn, I for one will be in geek heaven

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 58
RE: The Avengers - 14/4/2010 9:43:23 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Whilst I enjoy Vaughn's work on his own projects, wasn't the crap X-Men 3 script the one he developed? 

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 59
RE: The Avengers - 15/4/2010 9:42:44 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Whilst I enjoy Vaughn's work on his own projects, wasn't the crap X-Men 3 script the one he developed? 

Think he came up with the cure idea (an adaptation of a Joss Whedon comic storyline) and got as far as casting Kelsey Grammar and Vinnie Jones (well who else would cast Vinnie Jones?) before leaving. Fox kept the idea when he left but the writers added the Phoenix storyline as a trilogy capper for Jean Grey and then when ratner came on board he added some further things (like Angel, Kitty as a bigger role and Alcatraz Island replacing Washington DC).

So while Vaughn came up with the initial storyline the script itself underwent significant changes in pre-production; then again the production in general was a rushed and messy affair due to Fox rushing the film into cinemas as a 'fuck you' to Bryan Singer for defecting to WB for Superman Returns.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Avengers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI