Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: It Is What The Title Implies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: It Is What The Title Implies Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: It Is What The Title Implies - 17/4/2010 12:30:24 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: empire No. 1
but it is, you know, for kids, hence the lack of required GRAPHIC violence for a film of this nature to truly work. 8/10

You are having a little joke, yes?

Saw at the cinema for a second time, still loved it.  The Warehouse rescue i sthe highpoint for me, I still hoping there'd be a different outcome even though I knew how it turned out!

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 181
RE: It Is What The Title Implies - 18/4/2010 2:04:15 PM   
robwillphill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

but it is, you know, for kids, hence the lack of required GRAPHIC violence for a film of this nature to truly work. 8/10

You are having a little joke, yes?

No he's not having a joke. I've seen the film 4 times - I LOVE it (10/10), but i think what 'empire No. 1' is trying to say is that he had expectations before coming in to see it. Probably looked at the comics and the trailers, thinking this would be a Tarantino-lite, gory, edgy film. However 'Kick-Ass' isn't like that. The violence is restricted and it is in no way a Tarantino-esque film. He still enjoyed it (hence the 8/10), but he was obviously expecting something different - maybe hoping for a 'Sin City' type of comic adaption? Who knows...

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 182
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/4/2010 3:57:21 PM   
robwillphill

Chris Tookey, Daily Mail - He's like marmite: some love him, some hate him... Most hate him.

For me, he knows nothing about films. And in his latest review on the hit film 'Kick-Ass' (which i am sure many of you have read) Chris speaks of how "it deliberately sells a perniciously sexualised view of children and glorifies violence, especially knife and gun crime, in a way that makes it one of the most deeply cynical, shamelessly irresponsible films ever"

The whole review and afterword:
http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

What are your thoughts?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 183
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/4/2010 6:02:28 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: robwillphill

Chris Tookey, Daily Mail - He's like marmite: some love him, some hate him... Most hate him.

For me, he knows nothing about films. And in his latest review on the hit film 'Kick-Ass' (which i am sure many of you have read) Chris speaks of how "it deliberately sells a perniciously sexualised view of children and glorifies violence, especially knife and gun crime, in a way that makes it one of the most deeply cynical, shamelessly irresponsible films ever"

The whole review and afterword:
http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

What are your thoughts?

I can't stand the guy. Journalists have a responsibility as do directors in how a film is presented and he seems adamant on creating an epidemic over this film that is just some film for gawd's sake. So Hit Girl is 'sexy' is she? I didn't find her sexy nor did i immediately leave the cinema and cave someones head in because i'm not a moron. Neither are 99.9 percent of the cinema going public. Give the country some credit Chris, we're not all so easily influenced by something so trivial as you obviously are.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 184
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/4/2010 9:41:43 PM   
empire No. 1

im not quite sure why it was thought i was "having a joke" the film is excellent, but lacked the required flinch-inducing nastiness which would have suited this piece. im sure vaughn would have like to have the freedom to do this, but was weary of watchman's dissapointing box office to risk it, so went for a 15. the film was passed without cuts, so he judged it to perfection. when i say its for kids, i mean cert 15 = 13 at most cinemas, just as 18 = 16, and everyone, including the distributors, knows that. it has also been released FOR THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS. co-incidence? anyway, i too have seen it twice, thought it excellent, will by the dvd . . . but cannot "do cartwheels" over the c**t! you think Tookey is shit ? Alan frank dishes out a 10/10 every other week !

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 185
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 12:23:25 AM   
horribleives

Apologies if this is old news but I've just found out Matthew Vaughn is not only a tory but also worked as David Cameron's creative consultant a year or two back. Gutted. This doesn't make Kick-Ass any less brilliant but I can't get my head around how someone who's just made a film about an 11 year old girl killing people and calling them cunts can support the very same party who would happily ban it if they had their way. Oh hang on, he's bloody rich: that's how.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 186
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 12:15:09 PM   
empire No. 1

want to see films "about an 11 year old girl killing people and calling them cunts"? VOTE LABOUR isnt the best election slogan ive ever seen!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 187
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 12:37:01 PM   
iheartthetalkies

So much as been made of the swearing and violence from a young girl that it rather detracts from the film. Kick-Ass is a very enjoyable film. I would not give it 5 stars though, as the poster above me says, 3.5 stars is about right. I think it has been over-hyped a bit, but Matthew Vaughn has made an entertaining film. I don't think there is anything particularly evolutionary about it, and the pacing at times struggles. I think I would have enjoyed Kick-Ass more if it had retained the humour that was prevalent in the beginning. It probably has not done as well as expected in the US solely due to the Restricted rating - I imagine the appeal of this film more intense for younger teen viewers. Kick-Ass full review here...

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

Post #: 188
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 5:44:28 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

im not quite sure why it was thought i was "having a joke" the film is excellent, but lacked the required flinch-inducing nastiness which would have suited this piece.

I totally disagree on both counts.  The film has limbs lopped off, bullet holes aplenty and not one, but two, fully exploding men.  I don't see how this isn't graphic enough.  Would anatomically correct gibs have made it better?  No.
Upping the gore would have been totally off tone for this.  As, I think, would have been "flinch-inducing nastiness".  Nothing says comedy gold like that phrase!  Oh, how we laughed when Selma Blair was raped with a broken bottle in W-Alpha-Z.

quote:

when i say its for kids, i mean cert 15 = 13 at most cinemas, just as 18 = 16, and everyone, including the distributors, knows that. it has also been released FOR THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS. co-incidence?

This is just cynical supposition on your part.

Post #: 189
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 6:03:51 PM   
robwillphill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

im not quite sure why it was thought i was "having a joke" the film is excellent, but lacked the required flinch-inducing nastiness which would have suited this piece.

I totally disagree on both counts.  The film has limbs lopped off, bullet holes aplenty and not one, but two, fully exploding men.  I don't see how this isn't graphic enough.  Would anatomically correct gibs have made it better?  No.
Upping the gore would have been totally off tone for this.  As, I think, would have been "flinch-inducing nastiness".  Nothing says comedy gold like that phrase!  Oh, how we laughed when Selma Blair was raped with a broken bottle in W-Alpha-Z.

quote:

when i say its for kids, i mean cert 15 = 13 at most cinemas, just as 18 = 16, and everyone, including the distributors, knows that. it has also been released FOR THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS. co-incidence?

This is just cynical supposition on your part.

You can disagree, of course, but I see where 'empire No. 1' is coming from. The voilence is pretty tame in relation to Sin City and Watchmen - not saying it would suit 'Kick-Ass', but I think he was expecting that sort of film given the extremely violent comic books it originates from. His point is valid.

As for the apparent 'cynicism' - I would again agree with 'empire No. 1'. Remember, he still really enjoyed the film (as did I), but was expecting something different

Post #: 190
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 8:37:53 PM   
Invader_Ace

I actually agree with Empire No1 about the school holidays crack, but I refuse to use smileys, so maybe it comes off as too straight.

I'm not saying he was wrong to expect more violence and nastiness.  I just don't understand how it would have made the film "better".

Post #: 191
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/4/2010 8:52:58 PM   
empire No. 1

look, lets not be silly, im not talking "irreversable" or "antichrist" violence would enhance KICK ASS, but, and well done to robwillphil here, it could and should have had a scene or two of 18 rated wincability to propel it into "these characters are in danger and i genuinely care about their wellbeing" as opposed to "we know its all gonna be ok, so lets av a giggle" 15 rated safety. if you saw it at the cinema, think of yellow bastard whipping nancy. or the bride smashing bucks head in the door. did it heighten your affinity to our heroes? of course it did. that film DESERVED a scene or two like this. still 8/10, i WISH i could give more.

Post #: 192
RE: Kick-Ass - 20/4/2010 12:15:26 AM   
empire No. 1

sorry invader ace. this is not any cynical suppersition on my part. i would not offer any opinion to this beloved site unless i knew it to be true. cert 15 = 13 year olds ? is that incorrect? easter holidays = school kids off, no? KICK ASS appeals to (13 year old) kids....am i mistaken? do we need robert downey. jr to solve this one? look, im all for a debate on the bbfc policys, but to try to dismiss this as my KICK ASS criticim (note 8/10) is WELL off the mark.

Post #: 193
RE: Kick-Ass - 21/4/2010 11:09:52 PM   
demoncleaner

I finally got round to seeing this tonight as it wasn't really high up on my to-do list, to be honest.  But I'm glad I did as I thought it was a rock-solid piece of entertainment.  If super-hero films generally had the plotting and pacing expertise of this movie there wouldn't be any bad ones.  I thought Aaron Johnson gave a very likeable turn and while Matthew Vaughan doesn't quite succeed in finding meaningful work for his mates from back home this is the film where we stop referring to him as the Producer-turned-Director Matthew Vaughan, but think of him instead as the capable bad-ass behind the camera that he undoubtedly now is. 

The most Rock N Roll thing they could do with this is leave it without a sequel.

4/5 

Post #: 194
RE: Kick-Ass - 22/4/2010 4:55:50 AM   
empire No. 1

thankyou, demoncleaner. "a rock solid piece of entertainment" (4/5) is the summery ive been searching for (naturally followed by "and thats ALL folks, so calm down")

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 195
RE: Kick-Ass - 24/4/2010 10:18:06 AM   
maffew

I've been having a look through the comic book, and I feel like most of the violence made it through in tact. i dont think vaughn was pandering to a younger audience at all, and I feel the film was rated just right. The BBFC has changed it's standpoint a lot in the last few years - if this was released 5 years ago, it would have either been cut to ribbons or been released as an 18 (more likely considering how vaughn seemed to want to keep things his way)

The violence, I thought was spot on. For the rating, for the film and as an adaptation of the material.

Check out Kermode's review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7nSr4iZaO8 he goes into the BBFC thing a bit deeper..

Oh and Empire No1? The 15>13/ 18>16 - I know I tried to get into films underage when I was young and I always got turned away, and at my cinema it's the same deal - we just turn away people if they dont look the right age. To suggest that it's just a fact of modern cinema that 15s are geared towards 13 year olds is plain silly..

< Message edited by maffew -- 24/4/2010 10:22:33 AM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 196
RE: Absolutely flippin' fantastic!!!! - 27/4/2010 6:37:25 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Was disapointed. It's a film that ultimately seems to be searching around on the floor to be saying something but didn't make it. Not every film has to say something, I'm quite happy if Spiderman/Ironman don't have much to say but just enjoy their own sense of silly exhileration. This however came across like it had more to say, I've often liked that about Millar's work in the past alright the man can't write a good ending but things like putting the incredible hulk on trial and making Thor a peace activist are all interesting thoughts he's ran with. There just isn't anything like that here. No interesting thought, no message. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it's called Kick Ass, all the posters pointed toward it being another dumb superhero movie but I read the reviews, especially from Empire and was intrigued. As it turns out I probably would have had more fun expecting not very much.

I found hit girl and Big daddy to be disturbing. The violence also called for an 18 just for a the scene with a character tied to a chair.

The two worst things were that the corrupt cop seemed to disapear and Kick Ass never got to kick any ass.

3 stars entertaining enough crap, rather watch Iron Man at least it knows what it is.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives
Post #: 197
RE: Absolutely flippin' fantastic!!!! - 29/4/2010 11:32:57 PM   
theoriginalcynic

This film should have made alot more money.  I don't get it! One of the best if not the best film of the year (it'll be hard to beat)

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 198
RE: Kick-Ass - 5/5/2010 7:05:33 PM   
max314

Finally, a superhero origin story worth watching.

5/5

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 199
RE: Absolutely flippin' fantastic!!!! - 22/7/2010 3:19:24 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

I found hit girl and Big daddy to be disturbing. The violence also called for an 18 just for a the scene with a character tied to a chair.

3 stars entertaining enough crap, rather watch Iron Man at least it knows what it is.

This.

I overall enjoyed this flick but it in no way deserves all the over the top praise its getting. Also it is a bit too violent and deserves an 18 rating in my opinion.
The storyline was ok but predictable.

3/5 - Enjoyable enough but certain flavours put me off.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 200
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 16/8/2010 7:10:34 PM   
kumar

I thought this was rubbish, i dont understand where all the love for it has come, just because it has violence and swears. I watched it all and other than Mclovins nice car and the main guys girlfriends almost naked rack, there wasnt much that perked my interest. I clearly must have been missing something, but i dont think i will be watching this ever again. Pure rubbish.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5
Post #: 201
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 16/8/2010 11:45:23 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

I thought this was rubbish, i dont understand where all the love for it has come, just because it has violence and swears. I watched it all and other than Mclovins nice car and the main guys girlfriends almost naked rack, there wasnt much that perked my interest. I clearly must have been missing something, but i dont think i will be watching this ever again. Pure rubbish.

I loved the honest, dark humour, tongue in cheek and self aware nature of the film. Kickass is ... well an idiot. Trying to be a super hero in a dangerous and real world. I hadn't laughed so much at the cinema (for all the wrong reasons) in ages. Hit Girl and Big daddy are two seriously messed up characters. Agreed.

I've read a few saying they found certain parts of the film disturbing ... I think most would but I felt the film was great up flipping the tone between OTT cartoon violence and then suddenly diving back into the real world where you think "Jeebus they are just kids"! For example when McLovin and Kickass are having a moment just crusing or when Hit Girl is suddenly at her most vunerable ... compared to Hit Girl really kicking some ass and Kickass ... just about getting away with it.

The only thing that annoyed me is the idea of a sequel ... it would ruin the whole idea of the film. The question at the start was something like "can a super hero exsist in the real world" Hit Girl and Big Daddy were exceptions and well they are disfunctional to say the least. I'd like to leave it at that. Other wise you lose that whole concept. Well it could still go on wtihout that idea. Hell I think the film goes really on it's head after Kickass recovers from his first attempt at heorism. But hell I had a great time and was glad/surprised to see that the rest of the cinema enjoyed it and got the satire rather than storming out saying "Ban this sick filth" like I expected everyone but me to think.

It's not perfect. As I mentioned the last act goes off track with the starting theme. Some thing's just feel like some kid's fantasy. Especially the love interest just going on board with everything. That felt too easy. But by the end I didn't care ... I'm still a kid at heart and well I enjoyed the whole wish fufilment by the end.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 202
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 17/8/2010 1:58:19 AM   
tompy100

Loved it! I didn't think I would like this (a friend told me it was a Kill Bill remake with teenagers!) but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great performances from all leads, but especially Christopher Mintz Plasse - more Red Mist please!

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 203
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 22/8/2010 2:59:46 PM   
UTB

I didn't think too much of it, to be honest. I certainly don't think it a 5-star film (and I expect a few will reassess their initial views when this comes up for repeat viewings).

It was certainly entertaining, but it felt like standard teen-fodder with superhero action in it. The set pieces were immense, the script was funny, but it lacked something for me. Despite it being an original concept, it felt quite generic.

I will watch again in case I missed it, but it wasn't any near as great as I expected it to be. And who the fuck keeps getting Mintz-plasse work? Please stop.

(in reply to tompy100)
Post #: 204
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 22/8/2010 9:25:34 PM   
hatebox

Saw this again recently and haven't changed my mind - about halfway through it just gives up on its initially intriguing premise and becomes like any other superhero movie (albeit more violent). It's watchable but ultimately has little of importance to say about the genre. 

< Message edited by hatebox -- 22/8/2010 9:26:17 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 205
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 22/8/2010 9:59:44 PM   
dahughesy

Personally I thought the movie was very entertaining in pieces, and awful in others. Hit girl, funny enough I suppose, maybe the concept more than the execution. She curses. Great. Hilarious. She kills bad guys. Cool. At least it's an improvement. However, I find her trying way too hard to be controversial. She mentions that they have a signal in the shape of a giant cock, which I thought was one of the most awful pieces of writing ever. Wit Subtlety and imagination will always override sheer vulgarity for the sake of it.

The Big Daddy character, well, entertaining enough as well. McMist was something I didn't like at all to be honest, maybe because of my hatred of Mintz-Plasse though. The main character was good enough, all though his voice tends to irk me. Best parts: Almost seeing Lyndsy Fonseca half naked and Clark Duke, who I tend to find hilarious. Especially in Hot tub time machine.

Overall, entertaining 3/5. Up there with Dark Knight. Fuck no.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 206
RE: Up there with The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 - 23/8/2010 6:34:46 AM   
horribleives

Much as I loved the film, it still really bothers me that Matthew Vaughn's a posh tory. I wish it was like the olden days when they kept it behind closed doors. What consenting adults choose to do in a ballot box is their own business but must they rub our noses in it? You couldn't make it up, hell in a handcart etc, etc.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to dahughesy)
Post #: 207
RE: Kick-Ass - 5/9/2010 6:16:45 PM   
velpix

A GREAT film. I am really looking forward to seeing the second instalment, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Everyone should see this film, the Nicholas Cage scene in the factory is BREATH-TAKING.

Post #: 208
The Kick Ass Trial (dun dun duuun) - 9/9/2010 10:39:58 PM   
Edward Nygma

Ugh...I hate to do this to you guys. I really do.

Ok, so I saw Kick Ass a second time in order to really figure out if I was crazy or if that film was really really not that good. As people all around me buzz around that film with a twisted perception that it is amazing and right up there with The Dark Knight (gasp), I'm just gonna lay out my reasons for not liking it and you can tell me if I'm crazy or not. Or if I've missed something.

Here are a few questions I really need answers to:

SPOILERS (possibly)

1/ Where did Kick Ass's girlfriend meet a crook like Razul? I mean it's not like he could have hidden his lifestyle from her if they were going out...I don't know it just doesn't seem convincing this whole Razul thing.

2/ The first guy killed by the mob, who says he saw a guy dressed up like Batman (although he didn't say Batman ), why did he not just tell the mob he had a picture of Big Daddy on his phone before they killed him? If the whole reason they killed him was because they didn't believe him...he could have given it a shot.

3/ And why do the mob guys think its Kick Ass on the picture when its clearly not? It's not like they don't know what Kick Ass looks like! Everyone knows!

4/ If Big Daddy is mild mannered in real life, how come he's taught his daughter to swear like a maniac? Unless he pushed it on her as some kind of badass superhero persona...which seems a bit stupid.

5/ Why is Big Daddy's room so easy to get into and peppered with evidence?

6/ Why would the mob boss agree to a "Mist Mobile" (pricy and pointless!) and why didn't he see it outside the lumber place when they all pull up there as it burns to the ground? Wouldn't they have tried to save Red Mist and/or kill Kick Ass?

7/ Why does Red Mist shoot Hit Girl when he enters their lair with Kick Ass? I guess he's technically a bad guy but...if the mob were gonna barge in anyway...whatever. Up to this point RM wasn't so much a vilain as a pre-vilain anti-hero, like Harry Osborne before his dad turns into the Green Goblin (kinda).

8/ Did the mafia guys hire a net designer to set up the whole Kick Ass unmasked online thing? It looks pretty professional. And if so...Why? Who cares if people see Kick Ass unmasked or not, isn't it just risky and ridiculously unnecessary to show themselves online killing these two guys? I really don't get that whole thing. Just kill 'em! WTF???

9/ Why doesn't Hit Girl try to help her dad first when he's on fire? Sure she needs to kill the guys around but it's dark anyway. Just save your dad quickly, then take out the dudes...seems like the logical thing to do. Plus she's been badass the whole time up to this point so why does she suck at the most critical moment! And by saving her dad first, he could have helped her take out the rest of the guys! No?

10/ How did they know the jetpack would even be helpful at all? I mean sure it's got machine guns but...seems like a retarded purchase for Big Daddy to make. Plus, Jetpacks don't really exist do they? So doesn't that defy the whole point of Kick Ass being a "realistic" hero? ... Like they knew Hit Girl would be hiding in that room specifically and that someone would show up with a bazooka...whatever.

Ok now for a list of things I just didn't like:  

The Score:
Some of the music feels like it's been ripped off from The Dark Knight OST directly. Hans Zimmer must have spinned in his gr...bed.

The Soundtrack:
Awful, just awful. it's like someone just started playing a generic Best Of 2004 compilation. The whole "Crazy" bit in the car is cringeworthy. The Love

Interest:
Kick Ass's girlfriend is soooooo annoying. Nothing she says rings true, she's just really really bland and...such a bad actress. Red Mist: C. Mintz Plasse is not very good in this. He feels miscast and, again, nothing he says feels convincing. And this HURTS saying that about McLovin, trust me!

The Bedroom Scene:
When KA and his GF finally get together. It's just horrendously acted. The whole thing had me reaching for the shit bucket.

The References:
Hate all the references like Lost, Family Guy, Sin City etc its so obvious and on the nose. Feels like an old man is trying to relate to young people by just naming popular things they THINK everyone who watches Kick Ass will know. Hohoho those young people and their World Wide Interwebs...

The Dark Fight Scene:
The fight scene with Hit Girl in the dark is so overdramatic and the strobe-like flashes are just irritating. Reminds me of Alone in the Dark! That's not a good thing.

End Line:
The Joker reference at the end is just cringeworthy...oh man...way to turn a cool line from a cool movie into jizz.

Oh and how does the jetpack fit into ANYTHING? lol

Alright, I'm done. I apologize in advance for pissing people off but yeah, I'm reopening the debate on Kick Ass, I'm still not happy about that 5 star review. Don't get me wrong though, I'd give this film a solid-(ish) 3 stars, it's ok. So I don't hate it! Parts of it are funny and Nic Cage is great but beyond that...I don't get the adoration. So many plotholes...

< Message edited by Edward Nygma -- 9/9/2010 10:41:33 PM >

Ben. Affleck.
Post #: 209
RE: The Kick Ass Trial (dun dun duuun) - 9/9/2010 11:06:58 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Ugh...I hate to do this to you guys. I really do.

Ok, so I saw Kick Ass a second time in order to really figure out if I was crazy or if that film was really really not that good. As people all around me buzz around that film with a twisted perception that it is amazing and right up there with The Dark Knight (gasp), I'm just gonna lay out my reasons for not liking it and you can tell me if I'm crazy or not. Or if I've missed something.

Here are a few questions I really need answers to:

SPOILERS (possibly)

1/ Where did Kick Ass's girlfriend meet a crook like Razul? I mean it's not like he could have hidden his lifestyle from her if they were going out...I don't know it just doesn't seem convincing this whole Razul thing.

2/ The first guy killed by the mob, who says he saw a guy dressed up like Batman (although he didn't say Batman ), why did he not just tell the mob he had a picture of Big Daddy on his phone before they killed him? If the whole reason they killed him was because they didn't believe him...he could have given it a shot.

3/ And why do the mob guys think its Kick Ass on the picture when its clearly not? It's not like they don't know what Kick Ass looks like! Everyone knows!

4/ If Big Daddy is mild mannered in real life, how come he's taught his daughter to swear like a maniac? Unless he pushed it on her as some kind of badass superhero persona...which seems a bit stupid.

5/ Why is Big Daddy's room so easy to get into and peppered with evidence?

6/ Why would the mob boss agree to a "Mist Mobile" (pricy and pointless!) and why didn't he see it outside the lumber place when they all pull up there as it burns to the ground? Wouldn't they have tried to save Red Mist and/or kill Kick Ass?

7/ Why does Red Mist shoot Hit Girl when he enters their lair with Kick Ass? I guess he's technically a bad guy but...if the mob were gonna barge in anyway...whatever. Up to this point RM wasn't so much a vilain as a pre-vilain anti-hero, like Harry Osborne before his dad turns into the Green Goblin (kinda).

8/ Did the mafia guys hire a net designer to set up the whole Kick Ass unmasked online thing? It looks pretty professional. And if so...Why? Who cares if people see Kick Ass unmasked or not, isn't it just risky and ridiculously unnecessary to show themselves online killing these two guys? I really don't get that whole thing. Just kill 'em! WTF???

9/ Why doesn't Hit Girl try to help her dad first when he's on fire? Sure she needs to kill the guys around but it's dark anyway. Just save your dad quickly, then take out the dudes...seems like the logical thing to do. Plus she's been badass the whole time up to this point so why does she suck at the most critical moment! And by saving her dad first, he could have helped her take out the rest of the guys! No?

10/ How did they know the jetpack would even be helpful at all? I mean sure it's got machine guns but...seems like a retarded purchase for Big Daddy to make. Plus, Jetpacks don't really exist do they? So doesn't that defy the whole point of Kick Ass being a "realistic" hero? ... Like they knew Hit Girl would be hiding in that room specifically and that someone would show up with a bazooka...whatever.

1. She helps out on various programmes - does it not say a needle program? Possibly scouting for customers?

6. Because it's his son - the centre of the film, apart from the idiocy of the idea of superheros, are 3 father-child relationships.

7. Refer you back to the wanting to please daddy, show him he's a successor kind of thing

8. Did it? It was a web cam. Anyone could do it.

9. I'd guess weight of numbers - take them out and no-one's at your back. That's pretty in keeping with what they make clear she was taught.

10. I think that was pretty clearly presented within the father - daughter relationship - the childish joy at the idea and then subverting it with how to turn it into a weapon. As for it's use - they are in a penthouse with windows all round. They are hardly likely to be looking to that direction for a threat - as Lawrence says when he heads across the desert. No-one's looking that way - hence, perfect strategy.

The point partly is it is a pisstake and a subversion of the comic hero genre. The film broadens that out a little and mutes it, most particularly in changing Big Daddy's background. But the jet pack was fun - which it what I think it was supposed to be.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: It Is What The Title Implies Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI