Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ass

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ass Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ass - 6/4/2010 2:51:40 PM   
Edward Nygma

Ok, so I finally saw Kick Ass...

Something tells me Im not gonna be popular on this thread.

Kick Ass was rubbish. Seriously. I mean I know they were going for like a funny, cool, fresh comic book movie piss take but it just feels so forced and clumsy.
It was amusing in places and Nic Cages Adam West impression was classic (even if it was only for like 12 seconds) but overall the humour was just so easy, there was just nothing clever about it. And it most definitely was not cool...like at all.

I love the premise, it could have spawned a brilliant comic book movie (parodying comic book movies) but it just didnt do it for me. The direction was just inept, the script obvious and nonsensical, the cast fine but dull, the story...wasted. Oh and is it just me or is the whole thing just one big advert for Myspace and Youtube?

The scenes where Kick Ass reveals his identity to the girl in the bedroom are sooooooooooooooooo bad. So cheesy and painful to watch. The whole gangster bad guy thing was just so familiar it felt like I was watching Ritchie Ritch, or any other 90s kids movie. Hit Girl was ok but her swearing, killing shtick wasnt half as funny as he film thought it was. Its like the film doesnt know what it wants to be and therefore its tone becomes uneven, its execution clunky. One second its a run-of-the-mill teen movie, the next its ridiculously violent, the next it takes itself seriously (wwwwhaaaa?), the next its really silly...Its like watching a chef make a dish with only spices, no actual ingredients.

Im sorry but for me that was just really poor filmmaking and the biggest disappointment of the year so far.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 151
RE: Ass - 6/4/2010 3:00:42 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Kick Ass was rubbish. Seriously. I mean I know they were going for like a funny, cool, fresh comic book movie piss take but it just feels so forced and clumsy.
It was amusing in places and Nic Cages Adam West impression was classic (even if it was only for like 12 seconds) but overall the humour was just so easy, there was just nothing clever about it. And it most definitely was not cool...like at all.

I love the premise, it could have spawned a brilliant comic book movie (parodying comic book movies) but it just didnt do it for me. The direction was just inept, the script obvious and nonsensical, the cast fine but dull, the story...wasted. Oh and is it just me or is the whole thing just one big advert for Myspace and Youtube?

The scenes where Kick Ass reveals his identity to the girl in the bedroom are sooooooooooooooooo bad. So cheesy and painful to watch. The whole gangster bad guy thing was just so familiar it felt like I was watching Ritchie Ritch, or any other 90s kids movie. Hit Girl was ok but her swearing, killing shtick wasnt half as funny as he film thought it was. Its like the film doesnt know what it wants to be and therefore its tone becomes uneven, its execution clunky. One second its a run-of-the-mill teen movie, the next its ridiculously violent, the next it takes itself seriously (wwwwhaaaa?), the next its really silly...Its like watching a chef make a dish with only spices, no actual ingredients.

Im sorry but for me that was just really poor filmmaking and the biggest disappointment of the year so far.

Wow, I disagree with practically everything you just said. But that bit in Bold, is genius. Even if I don't think it's true.

And as for it being cheesy.. Well, there's nothing in it that's as bad as this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-V8T-IqCz4

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 152
RE: Ass - 6/4/2010 3:08:41 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

Wow, I disagree with practically everything you just said. But that bit in Bold, is genius. Even if I don't think it's true.

And as for it being cheesy.. Well, there's nothing in it that's as bad as this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-V8T-IqCz4

lol Thanks.

Yeah the Spiderman movies have their horribly cheesy moments. I simply Camembert it 

But you must admit, at the very least, the bedroom scene was ball-clinchingly cringeworthy, no?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 153
RE: Ass - 6/4/2010 3:15:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

I thought the bedroom scene was great because, unlike other comic book movies, they actully get it together. The Spiderman series feels so sterile - Parker and MJ hold hands, have the odd kiss. Here we see what the reality of those two getting it together would be.

As for the Myspace and You Tube thing - I would much prefer them to use stuff that exists than make up fake websites which we would all groan at seeing in the cinema.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 154
RE: THE ENIGMA THAT IS CHRIS TOOKEY - 6/4/2010 6:59:10 PM   
TheSpleen

Saw it today. It was a good film. Solid 3 stars maybe 4. As stated before a few too many youtube and myspace bits for my liking, but then they have to acknowledge these things exist. It was very ... American considering the brits involved. Christopher Mintz Plasse was awful but Nic Cage was the star for me. Hit girl was great fun but the hype surrounding it maybe diluted her a bit (Not the films fault). The last ten mins were a bit silly but there you go. Good but certainly not my new favourite film.
Post #: 155
RE: It Is What The Title Implies - 6/4/2010 7:54:52 PM   
hatebox

Apparently the girl ditches Kick Ass as a friend when she finds out it's him (and he's not gay). I think that would have been better, if the film really thought it was going against comic book conventions. That scene definitely felt a bit too convenient for me.
Post #: 156
RE: Loved the film, but..... - 7/4/2010 12:40:37 AM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: JemmaGallagher

'moment at the end of the film’s insanely OTT finale. We won’t say too much, but for this: you’ll never think of Elvis Presley in the same way again.'

What do empire mean when they say you'll never think of Elvis in the same way again?
Its really bugging me, someone please respond

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they just mean you never thought of him in conjunction with an assault on a building involving a jetpack and gattling guns, and now whenever you hear the song probably you will.. I didn't realise it was elvis, im not a fan really..but i was wondering who sang the song

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"
Post #: 157
RE: Loved the film, but..... - 7/4/2010 10:56:05 AM   
Marwood

Saw it last night (two rows from the front as the place was absolutely packed) and thought it was excellent.

I'm a fan of superhero/comic book films being a comic reader from a young age and still dabbling in the more adult stuff like Preacher and Transmetropolitan, not read the Kick Ass comic but am familiar with the story.

From what I can gather the film is quite close to the series but having been in production at the same time as the comics there are likely to be some different ideas in each - no Watchmen style reverence to the comic here I think although from some Kick Ass artwork I've seen online there are some scenes framed very similarly.

The film is laugh out loud funny from the start right until the very end and is packed with references to superhero films, comics, pop culture (although you can tell the production started a long time ago because MySpace is featured heavily but there's no mention of Facebook or Twitter etc.) and Matthew Vaughn's other work (the yellow range Rover that ends up being crushed is the most obvious nod to Layer Cake). It's a ridiculous, hilarious and at times quite touching film that has a really dark heart.

The production is top notch and Vaughn throws in a lot of fancy camera and lighting moves that bring to mind Danny Boyle and Tarantino. The soundtrack is also excellent although at times it recycled some of John Murphy's music from Sunshine and 28 Days Later which I found kind of jarring as I know (and love) the tracks so to me when I heard them those two films just sprang up in my mind.

The casting is pitch perfect for all the main characters and the supporting cast like Dave's friends, his Dad and the gangsters are also on great form.

Aaron Johnson is both funny and affecting as Dave/Kick Ass, I haven't seen Nowhere Boy but have heard great things about it so that film by reputation and his performance here suggest that he's got a really bright future. He makes Dave likeable, recognisable, sympathetic and also kind of laughable - to me he comes across as a less earnest and more realistic Peter Parker. Very charismatic although due to the supporting cast he sometimes gets a bit overshadowed.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse is also very good, in fact better than expected considering he gets a lot less screen time than I was expecting from the trailers. However I get the feeling that some of his scenes were shortened or dropped from the final cut as there's a hint of "daddy issues" quite frequently and I suspect any serious soul searching scenes may have slowed the pace of the film too much. One scene I thought he was superb in a quiet way was when he and Kick Ass are in costume in his car dancing to Crazy - he shows a hint that he's actually becoming friends with Kick Ass which the film shows earlier  is something he's never really had. Anyway, in this film he's managed to nearly shed the McLovin label as the character is darker than expected and if the end is anything to go by in a possible sequel he'd be given a real chance to shine. Love his last line too - great Batman reference.

The real stars of the show though are Chloe Moritz and Nicolas Cage. Yes, Cage is brilliant in this film, absolutely brilliant. It almost redeems him for the studio shite he's churned out this last decade and hopefully with this and Bad Lieutenant this year he's clawing his way back into the old crazy ways. I just loved the way he played Big Daddy as a geeky father when out of costume and doing an Adam West impression when in costume. Also you can feel a real love between Damon and Mindy as father and daughter, they don't get many chances to show it but the scenes where they're out of costume and just hanging out being a family was a really lovely (but twisted in some ways considering he's raised her to be a killing machine) touch to humanise them - you know they're both insane but they're a family as well.

Chloe is going to be a big cult star if she keeps making cool indies like this - the remake of Let The Right One In is definitely more of an interesting prospect now I've seen her in Kick Ass. Like Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin she's great at playing a girl wise beyond her years but still has that youthful spirit - witness her excitement over finding a certain killing machine online and getting two butterfly knives for her birthday. Her sarcastic line delivery is also fantastic, something that other child actors don't always hit. To me her performance shows a lot of great versatility for such a young actor and the character is great.

Quick word on Mark Strong - he's awesome as always and funnier than I was expecting.

Last thing - Vaughn and Jane Goldman have written a terrific film which will court controversy from the Daily Mail but if any of the writers bothered to watch it then they would change their tune because as risque as the film is it's also so ridiculous in places that you can't really take it that seriously - it's a perfect balance and just great entertainment for adults/young adults.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 158
RE: THE ENIGMA THAT IS CHRIS TOOKEY - 7/4/2010 1:22:13 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

Saw it today. It was a good film. Solid 3 stars maybe 4. As stated before a few too many youtube and myspace bits for my liking, but then they have to acknowledge these things exist. It was very ... American considering the brits involved. Christopher Mintz Plasse was awful but Nic Cage was the star for me. Hit girl was great fun but the hype surrounding it maybe diluted her a bit (Not the films fault). The last ten mins were a bit silly but there you go. Good but certainly not my new favourite film.

This is the most sensible review I've seen on this thread so far, and it's short! lol

I wouldn't say it was good though, Id say it was...watchable. But that's just me.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 159
RE: THE ENIGMA THAT IS CHRIS TOOKEY - 7/4/2010 8:09:46 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

quote:

This is the most sensible review I've seen on this thread so far, and it's short! lol

I wouldn't say it was good though, Id say it was...watchable. But that's just me.

Duuude! I didn't think people ever actually read these reviews on here but thanks, man. You're smart. I like you. I'll probably give you a nickname. .

Post #: 160
RE: THE ENIGMA THAT IS CHRIS TOOKEY - 7/4/2010 8:47:56 PM   
hampstead bandit

saw this on Monday

not the "classic" some reviews have stated

a funny film, and quite original in places, yet quite unoriginal in other places...

found it a little too long (it could have done with losing 10-15 minutes) with a flat middle section

but the violence was brilliant (especially Big Daddy taking out the warehouse) and the characters were vivid

like a previous reviewer said, a solid 3, maybe 4 stars....

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 161
RE: Ass Kick - 8/4/2010 10:20:46 AM   
Vitamin F

It's damn good, just not great - certainly not a 5 star film.

There's a feeling of "shock for shock's sake" about the whole Hit Girl premise, a feeling I often get when watching Shameless. Nicolas Cage is by far the best thing here but is very much a supporting character (perhaps it works because less is more?), Mark Strong is solid as ever, but I thought Christopher Mintz-Plasse was pretty rubbish to be honest, both in and out of costume.

In short, don't believe all the hype...just a decent sized chunk of it.
Post #: 162
RE: very good film - 8/4/2010 2:32:44 PM   
Scabby

Yeah, can someone explain to me the Elvis reference in the review? I didn't notice anything in the film (I felt that that the end bit with Dave was a bit ridiculous, to be honest!)

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.
Post #: 163
Kick Arse - 8/4/2010 2:49:03 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

quote:

quote:

Duuude! I didn't think people ever actually read these reviews on here but thanks, man. You're smart. I like you. I'll probably give you a nickname. .

Beloved.

I feel...I am...beloved.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 164
RE: Kick Arse - 8/4/2010 5:16:49 PM   
TheSpleen

You are Sir.

Post #: 165
RE: Kick-Ass - 8/4/2010 11:54:44 PM   
Okuri Ohkami

Saw this last Saturday. Probably my favourite superhero movie, just great fun and I think a lot of credit should be given to the action scenes.
Hit Girl and Big Daddy were the highlights for me, character-wise, but there so much I liked about it. Been a while since I've been that entertained at the cinema.

Also, did anyone see Christopher Tookey's review? Probably his worst review yet, thus making it the worst film review of all time.

< Message edited by Okuri Ohkami -- 8/4/2010 11:56:15 PM >

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 166
RE: very - 9/4/2010 7:45:48 AM   
Charles B. Potatoes

Massively underwhelmed by this.

All the best parts are in the trailer. It was a mish mash of elements, none of which totally worked.

Was it a comedy? A drama? A satire? An action film? It couldn't make it's mind up and in the end wasn't really anything.

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.
Post #: 167
RE: very - 9/4/2010 11:35:14 AM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles B. Potatoes

Massively underwhelmed by this.

All the best parts are in the trailer. It was a mish mash of elements, none of which totally worked.

Was it a comedy? A drama? A satire? An action film? It couldn't make it's mind up and in the end wasn't really anything.

Thank you, finally someone that makes sense lol

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Charles B. Potatoes)
Post #: 168
RE: Ass - 9/4/2010 4:56:15 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

As for the Myspace and You Tube thing - I would much prefer them to use stuff that exists than make up fake websites which we would all groan at seeing in the cinema.

They could have avoided referencing Lost in one of the most dramatic moments though.

Still great film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 169
RE: Ass - 9/4/2010 6:40:56 PM   
petecriss8000

Can anyone explain why a convincingly soundalike version of John Murphy's "In The House... In A Heartbeat" is used in the warehouse and not the actual song itself? Is it by Murphy or a shameless ripoff? I watched both 28 Later films this week and that piece is in neither.

Also, really like the movie, though reading the comic a day before was a bad decision, as it made me feel that casting Mintz Plasse was a horrible mis-step and the girl's acceptance of Dave's lies seems far too Hollywood. Otherwise, can't fault it- nice one, the movies!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 170
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 9/4/2010 10:14:38 PM   
petecriss8000

You know what? I just looked it up on Youtube, and it IS the same song. I'd bet anything that the print I saw in Sligo used a different, but similar song. I was wholly sober and fully aware of the Murphy song, I'd watched both 28... films this week and everything! Any reason why prints in the south of Ireland would use different music?

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED HERE!
Post #: 171
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 10/4/2010 1:18:50 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

You know what? I just looked it up on Youtube, and it IS the same song. I'd bet anything that the print I saw in Sligo used a different, but similar song. I was wholly sober and fully aware of the Murphy song, I'd watched both 28... films this week and everything! Any reason why prints in the south of Ireland would use different music?

Don't think there's going to be different music for different regions.. there are multiple variations on the themes from Sunshine, and far as I could tell through the gunfire, in the house in a heartbeat was the same..infact, he's listed as a composer, so may have composed a new version for the that scene

< Message edited by maffew -- 10/4/2010 1:22:01 PM >

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 172
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 10/4/2010 5:25:11 PM   
theoriginalcynic

We're gonna have to wait ages for the blu-ray release.  It hasn't even been released in America yet.  A five million return in the UK isn't bad.  I just hope it makes it's money back in the first weekend.  

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 173
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 10/4/2010 5:45:52 PM   
Deviation

Parnassus got its money back before being released in the USa. I can very much imagine this doing the same.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 174
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 10/4/2010 6:21:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

Don't think there's going to be different music for different regions.. there are multiple variations on the themes from Sunshine, and far as I could tell through the gunfire, in the house in a heartbeat was the same..infact, he's listed as a composer, so may have composed a new version for the that scene

Jim Murphy was attached to the credits as one of the composers, although I didn't think it helped the film having slightly tweaked versions of 'in a house - in a heartbeat' and 'sunshine - adagio in D minor', as both pieces of music have been played to death in car adverts and sporting events. Plus both of them were already used massively in 28 days/weeks later & Sunshine....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 175
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 11/4/2010 11:18:16 PM   
maffew

i didn't have a problem with them being used.. I suppose it's a bit different because they exist already on a soundtrack to another film, but I didn't think of it as any different as using any other sort of famous song in a film..it certainly didn't affect me, I just thought it was brilliantly chosen, and went really well with the scenes - just like propellerheads in the matrix or any other number of well chosen tunes..Like a Guardian article said a little while back, it could've been a case of during Post they used those songs to fill the gap until the soundtrack was done proper and the director fell in love with them and had them stay in.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 176
RE: Ass-kicked. Aha. Ha. Ha. - 11/4/2010 11:34:21 PM   
gunstar

Anyone know if it's worth seeing even for someone who hated the comic? A lot of the marketing material has been about the film and the comic book being created simultaneously and it's put me off as I couldn't stand the graphic novel. Is it basically the comic book filmed or are there differences between the two that would make it worth a watch?

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 177
RE: Kick-Ass - 12/4/2010 12:05:00 AM   
maffew

i've not read the comic, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish..Not liking the source material doesn't always mean you won't like what gets done with the film..

edit: that said i've been looking through some bits of the comic i found online and it is VERY similar..

< Message edited by maffew -- 12/4/2010 1:01:52 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 178
RE: Kick-Ass - 12/4/2010 10:18:44 AM   
petecriss8000

The tone of the film's a lot broader than the comic, it works a lot better as a comedy movie, so you might enjoy it more than the book, yeah.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 179
RE: It Is What The Title Implies - 17/4/2010 3:25:33 AM   
empire No. 1

for me, its was like being offered a STELLA 5.2% but being served a STELLA 4%. . . Just not QUITE right. but it is, you know, for kids, hence the lack of required GRAPHIC violence for a film of this nature to truly work. 8/10
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ass Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI