Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kick-Ass

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Kick-Ass Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kick-Ass - 2/4/2010 8:05:05 PM   
theoriginalcynic

The only thing she does, that could be considered remotely sexual is winking at Dave and saying sweet dreams.  But she's quite clearly kidding and even if she wasn't, it's a harmless crush.  I understand the negative critism, she is wearing a school girl outfit and holding a big gun and her super hero costume is made out of leather.  But, as a massive comic book fan, the movie is undeniably cool all the same.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 2/4/2010 8:09:31 PM >

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 121
RE: Kick-Ass - 2/4/2010 9:18:17 PM   
BishopQuaker

I propose we all write a nice little comment on this pathetic article.

Frigging idiot

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 122
RE: Kick-Ass - 2/4/2010 9:26:30 PM   
bub

I'm surprised the headline wasn't Kick Ass Will Give You Cancer

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 123
RE: Kick-Ass - 2/4/2010 10:34:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

So good.

Cage's Adam West voice is amazing.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 124
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 12:40:20 AM   
hatebox

I enjoyed it immensely at the time, but looking back on it I sort of regret the way it became so increasingly absurd until the (intentionally?) ridiculous finale.

One day they might make a film that genuinely poses - and answers - the question: how can a real person (who isn't a billionaire) become a 'super' hero, if they can at all. This is not that film. I suppose it never even tried to be, even though I thought that was the intial premise from te first 20 minutes. A helluva good time at the cinema though. If, perhaps, not much more in hindsight. 

< Message edited by hatebox -- 3/4/2010 12:57:29 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 125
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 12:56:40 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

So good.

He's back to his wild man best in this one - steals the whole movie, frankly!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 126
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 1:42:27 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

So good.

He's back to his wild man best in this one - steals the whole movie, frankly!

Bad Lieutenant?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 127
RE: RE: - 3/4/2010 11:38:21 AM   
hatebox

Slightly off topic but did anyone see Aaron Johnson on Jonathon Ross last night?For some reason I thought he's be really charismatic considering he's on the cusp of being huge movie star and is getting married to someone more than double his age... but he came across as even more nervous than his character. Strange.

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 128
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 5:25:58 PM   
KeithM

Absolutely fucking brilliant.  For once, a movie deserving of a five-star review.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 129
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 6:08:40 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox
One day they might make a film that genuinely poses - and answers - the question: how can a real person (who isn't a billionaire) become a 'super' hero, if they can at all.

They do answer that question: "Dude, he'd be dead in, like, a day"

quote:

This is not that film. I suppose it never even tried to be, even though I thought that was the intial premise from te first 20 minutes.

My impression is that, yes, for the first 20 minutes it is the premise, but then the premise becomes "what happens when the wannabe meets the real thing".  The point being that just wanting to be a hero, dressing up as such and going out and actually doing it is not as easy as it seems - or exactly as insane as it seems.  You need (a) money (lots) (b) training (extensive) and (c) a death wish.  A movie solely about what Kick-Ass does without meeting the likes of Hit Girl and Big Daddy would have been over, well, at the point where Hit Girl appears (i.e. he'd be dead right there without her).  It would be (a) short and (b) funny for about five minutes until the "reality" hit home with, literally, deadly force.  Or a movie about a guy dressed up in a funny suit who does community service (and I'm looking forward to the docudrama about those Real Life guys who do exactly that - although that will be an entirely different kettle of fish).

So, I say, don't be disappointed in what you perhaps were expecting and just enjoy what we got.  It's better that way, I find.

Actually, anyone seen Defendor yet?

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 130
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 11:11:53 PM   
theoriginalcynic

In response to some comments, the movie does deal with the consequences of being a wannable superhero.  SPOILERS

He gets stabbed and run over, with metal plates all over his body and if it wasn't for hit girl he'd be dead.  Dave is in over his head - you'd be mad to do what he did and hitgirl's father is burnt alive. 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 3/4/2010 11:12:33 PM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 131
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/4/2010 11:44:45 PM   
hatebox

I think the ending with Hit Girl was absurd pretty much any you interpret it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but any argument that 'this is what it'd be like if so-and-so happend...' goes out the window. It becomes as fantastical as any other superhero film but, to an extent, it's entertaining so I suppose that's ok. However it did become the point at which I stopped really caring about what happened to our heroes, unlike the first half of the movie.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 3/4/2010 11:46:34 PM >

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 132
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 12:31:26 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tosschops

Tookey is being his reasonable self again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html

The only person in the world who can link the actions of Hit Girl to peados.  Makes you wonder if Tookey is the one aroused by her.....

Hit-girl is violent and potty mouthed, that was part of the fun, but how is she sexually aggressive? I must've missed that.

None of the comments agree with him either

I wouldn't say she is sexually-aggressive but I can see how the writer of that article twisted it to make his point.
She does say 'cunts' and she does talk about how her and Big Daddy's equivalent of the Batsignal is in the shape of "a big cock".

So, she uses sexually aggressive language for a child but I think that to jump from there to say that she herself is sexually aggressive is a bit much.

I really enjoyed the movie.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 133
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 10:57:48 AM   
Super Hans

Spoilers in here!!!

My fiancee and I watched this yesterday afternoon and both really enjoyed it! Not quite 'my new favourite film' but damn good fun all the same - probably the most fun I've had watching a film in ages. It was very well acted all round, very exciting and with some genuine laugh out loud moments!

I was pleasantly surprised that it actually showed that there would be consequences/implications of people going round behaving that way. Damon McCready is evidently not right in the head and the scene where he slaughters the guys in the warehouse, the way it was shot maybe, really made you realise that this guy was just going round murdering people... Plus the scene where they are captured and tortured - I could really imagine that happening if it was real life (maybe not broadcast live though). It wasn't all just about kiddies killing bad guys to cheerful music!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 134
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 1:19:35 PM   
rancorpuppet

Exciting and thrilling visually - Nic Cage actually embodying a character for once and not staggering around looking serious for a paycheck - but 'Mystery Men' said more, did more and was a funnier parody for true comic-book fans.
The emperor isn't entirely naked - just doesn't have nearly as many clothes on as 'Empire' says it has.

< Message edited by rancorpuppet -- 4/4/2010 1:20:08 PM >

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 135
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 2:27:19 PM   
robwillphill

Most entertaining film I have ever seen. Best film I've seen so far this year. One giant sugar rush with bad language, excessive cartoon violence, and an extremely well-paced story full of humour and emotion. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! if you haven't seen Kick-Ass, I strongly recommend it, because it does what it says on the tin.

10/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 136
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 4:38:08 PM   
lukemurray

Its hilarious how tookey goes on about hit-girl being "sexually agressive", yet he still manages to give Orphan 4 stars? I loved Orphan but in the film Esther tries to seduce her adoptive father into have sex with her.

(in reply to Tosschops)
Post #: 137
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 5:18:45 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rancorpuppet

Exciting and thrilling visually - Nic Cage actually embodying a character for once and not staggering around looking serious for a paycheck - but 'Mystery Men' said more, did more and was a funnier parody for true comic-book fans.
The emperor isn't entirely naked - just doesn't have nearly as many clothes on as 'Empire' says it has.

Probably the same way that line is nowhere near as clever as you think it is!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to rancorpuppet)
Post #: 138
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 5:41:54 PM   
tonethestone

finally seen it, was cracking, loved it, although not quite the great film i probably expected, but loved it all the same. 4/5

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 139
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/4/2010 8:54:23 PM   
Macphisto

Really want to see this but my eyes are overly sensitive to light. Is the strobe-light scene as headache-inducing as billed?

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 140
RE: Kick-Ass - YES!!!! - 5/4/2010 12:01:45 AM   
maffew

Oh, good call Empire.

This is indeed my new favourite film. An epileptic thrill ride of epic proportions, this was one of the most perfectly balanced, well paced, funny, emotional, spectacularly violent films I have ever seen. I loved every second of it - I'm boycotting Clash of The Titans, and telling people to go see this instead. I am utterly, completely satisfied.

Stand out bits:

That 3D comic-book sequence was gorgeous.
Big Daddies assault on the warehouse, while brief packed a vast punch.
The visual style - Matthew Vaughn is emerging as a one of the great directors of the decade.
The brutality of it. I new it would be violent, I didn't think it'd be bone crushing, wince inducing violence.
Hit Girls vengeance - stunning - ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.

I have only one criticism - and it's a minor one, which Shaun of The Dead suffered from it as well: it has a habit of following some really quite emotional bits with a gag - it just didn't feel right, but it sort of has more to do with how the audience react - I felt in Shaun people were laughing because they felt like they should, what with it being a comedy and all...

But thats IT. There is nothing aside from that I didn't like. It's hilarious, it's dark, violent, stunningly directed, the music is ace, it's got some stunning editing...

Fuck it, it's better than The Dark Knight.

FIVE FUCKING STARS.

< Message edited by maffew -- 5/4/2010 12:04:15 AM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Macphisto)
Post #: 141
RE: Kick-Ass - YES!!!! - 5/4/2010 12:07:45 AM   
CORLEONE

Was truly fantastic. American Pie meets the Dark Knight with mucho violence and sexual swear words. 5/5

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 142
RE: Kick-Ass - 5/4/2010 12:50:05 AM   
Mr Kips

Amazing movie.  I had seen the Red Band (US 'R' trailer) and knew what I was in for.  I suspect the other Thursday afternoon cinema goers had not.  When Hit Girls first appearence there was a moment of stunned silence then massive laughter.

I loved the movie.  Aaron Johnson as Kick Ass was funny, likable and, given the punbishment he took, disturbing.  Hit Girl was just disturbing, with the laughs and over-the-top ninja skillz tempered by the knowledge that this profane, violant kid could only result of an utterly ruined childhood.  As the movie progressed I lost sympayhy with the father and for dragging his baby girl into his fantasy life.

Hit Girl isn't a hero or role model, she's a victim.  Every foul word or dismembered bad guy is another reason to pity her.  She be better off with the cuddly fluffy dog, not a pair of actually-very-nifty balisongs.

I've read on-line reviews and it's amazing how many reviewers seem to miss that.  The point of Hit Girl is that she's damaged goods, no matter how fun it is to watch a cute girl shoot someone in the balls.  The language was a brave choice and a good one.  The C-word sounded so odd I bet it's the first time Chloe Moritz had said that.  That only made it more shocking.

There were a couple of plot lines I thought were under-developed.  First, Big Daddy was a total fruitcake.  Explaining how he became so distanced from reality and obsessed was dealt with far too quickly.  A guy who goes from 'betrayed cop' to 'mass murder in fetishwear' needs some explaining.  We got a reason with no idea of the process and I found it hard to sympathise with him.  I could figure it out - undeserved years in jail and a dead wife aren't a recipe for sound mental health - but not in time for it to affect my views of Damon McCready.   I could have watched a whole movie of him going slowly insane and draging Mindy along with him.

The other gap was the relationship between Dave Lizewski and Katie Deauxma.  We're supposed to belive he enjoyed/endured sleep-overs and fake tan rubbing sessions with her before he revealed his feelings.  In real life his ever-present erection would have done that long ago.  I thought it was a missed comic opportunity and found it unrealistic and jarring.

I wonder how many people have seen the movie and tried to buy Benchmade balisongs?  They're not legal in the UK - did they film those scenes here? - and would cost $300 or more in the USA.  Tip: get a Benchmade Griptillion instead.  Legal and one of the best folders available.

As much as I hate agreeing with anything the Daily Mail says, Hit girl will find fans among the pedos.  Not because the character is sexy but because she's female, a child and bound to push someones buttons.  Chloe Grace Moretz, the actress who plays her, is a pretty girl and probably already has enthusiasts among the pervs.  I don't see anything in Kick Ass that would make that worse.  The outfit's not conductive to perving unless you've a fetish for unrevealing, loose leather clothing.  That wig will flip someones switch.  Shades of Leon, the Professional.

I've read a couple of references to a theoretical sequel, with Hit Girl being the main character.  I'd love to see that.  If That Bad Guy starts causing mayhem, we know who to call.

(in reply to Macphisto)
Post #: 143
RE: RE: kick ass is awesome - 5/4/2010 8:09:11 PM   
anakin solo

This kept just as riveted as avatar if not more, it was well done, funny and the best performance by nic cage i've ever seen since con air and the rock and so enjoyed the action sequences especially with hit girl going all mental on the gang member's to the song from the banana splits with kick ass looking on with WTF on his face.
There has got to be a sequel with what happened at the end.
Can't wait to see how mark strong will be as sinestro in the green lantern movie, kick ass was the first film i've seen him inth and he played a villian with great violence.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 144
RE: RE: kick ass is awesome - 5/4/2010 11:02:31 PM   
CORLEONE

CAGE IS BACK!*

* I hope.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 145
RE: Kick-Ass - 6/4/2010 2:29:44 AM   
snazzy_sophie

Have not read all this thread but without Movie Con I would not have had a clue about Kick-Ass....and it was so much more than I expected :) Everyone else I've seen has said that Hit-Girl steals the show but Aaron Johnson was also excellent in my opinion...can't remember the last film I watched where I laughed continually then was blown away by the action scenes which is not usually my kind of film..........loved it! 

http://www.literallygeeking.org

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 146
RE: Kick-Ass - 6/4/2010 7:23:25 AM   
morg1138

I watched Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans over the weekend and I think, well hope that Mr Cage is back on track.  He is suitably manic in the Werner Herzog film and I would be glad if he keeps up his performances from the pre mentioned and his great turn in Kick Ass.  My wife is still to see Kick Ass so hopefully I am heading in for a second viewing this weekend

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to snazzy_sophie)
Post #: 147
RE: Kick-Ass - 6/4/2010 9:04:37 AM   
tftrman

Incredibly entertaining film, rarely do I go and watch a flick twice at the cinema but I have done with this. I usually detest Nic Cage but not here, and Aaron Johnson looks like a star in the making.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 148
RE: Kick-Ass - 6/4/2010 10:41:20 AM   
skeletonjack

Great fun, though if you've seen the trailers you might feel like you've seen a large chunk of it already.
Not quite the masterpiece it's being made out to be but no doubt better than most you'll see this year.
4 Stars

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 149
RE: Kick-Ass - 6/4/2010 12:34:00 PM   
maffew

If you add up all the times i've skived off work to watch this, I've seen it about 3 times now (including actually watching the whole thing) it's not getting boring - it's continually jaw-dropping, funny, entertaining and shocking.. I could happily go see it a number of times more and not be bored.

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Kick-Ass Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI