Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Movie Aside

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Movie Aside Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Movie Aside - 23/3/2010 1:56:20 PM   
Stillwater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkduune

That wasn't a review. That was a synopsis. Bad form Chris, bad form.

That was my first thought, 3 paragraphs of synopsis before we even got to an opinion.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "
Post #: 61
RE: I hope Empire are right! - 23/3/2010 2:30:00 PM   
Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola Brierley

Kick Ass is a Lionsgate film, whose films I have vowed to stay clear of. Lionsgate have only done two good films (3:10 to Yuma and the Hurt Locker). Every other film by Lionsgate has been terrible.

Wow, that's one stupid reason to avoid a film. Lionsgate are the distributor - they came on board after the film was done, dusted, in the can. They had no hand whatsoever in its production. Come to think of it, they didn't have anything to do with the making of The Hurt Locker either.

Anyway... Kick-Ass is probably the most fun I've had with a comic-book movie in a long time. It has a few flaws (pilfered scores from other movies; some let-up in pace during the mid-section), but it's damn good entertainment all the same.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 62
RE: RE: - 23/3/2010 3:41:26 PM   
bendoofus

"I HAVE NO SCRUPPLES!"
What's a scrupple?

Besides you've both missed the point. I was simply showing off for having anticipated the gushing review/5 star rating. Immature, I know but when you're right you're right.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP BAR!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: I hope Empire are right! - 23/3/2010 10:53:12 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola Brierley

There are two things that are putting me off this film. Kick Ass is a Lionsgate film, whose films I have vowed to stay clear of. Lionsgate have only done two good films (3:10 to Yuma and the Hurt Locker). Every other film by Lionsgate has been terrible. And it has Nicholas Cage in it (who has been in bloody awful films lately). These two things don't bode well for me.
I hope I am wrong!

Wow. Just wow. That is possibly the single most stupid thing I have ever read on these forums, possibly the internet.
Post #: 64
RE: I hope Empire are right! - 23/3/2010 10:54:54 PM   
adambatman82

Saw the film tonight and fully enjoyed it, far much more than I expected to actually. Simply put, its probably the best comic book film I've seen since Batman Begins. Nicholas Cage's Adam West impression was genius, and thats coming from someone who can't stomach the guy usually.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 65
RE: - 24/3/2010 8:11:33 AM   
morg1138

A superb film that really takes a different, if somewhat new direction for superhero film.   One thing I have noticed in reviews is that the technical side of the film has barley been mentioned.  The editing was superb and not only made the fights interesting it also got the timing spot on for a lot of the laugh out loud moments.  The soundtrack was a great mix up and for the first time I heard the 28 Days Later theme being used somewhere else where it actually worked.  The cast is superb Mark Strong again nails it and makes for enjoyable bad guy viewing.  Aaron Johnson does well as an anti Peter Parker.  But the main talking point is indeed going to be Hit Girl and her lack of moral standards, including but not just limited to her, the violence.  I would like to see Kick Ass get the recognition that it deserves and I hope that Matthew Vaughn continues to expand on the genres that he explores and maybe continue to work outside the studio system, although this is something I fear will not happen as he is going to be huge after this one has done the rounds.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.
Post #: 66
RE: Awesometastic! - 24/3/2010 11:18:12 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: popcornadict

Ever since the superhero renaissance prompted by the first X-Men movie, comic book movies have striven for realism, often at the expense of much of which made them super in the first place. Kick-Ass manages to be both the most realistic comic book movie ever made while simultaneously being the most true to its genre and source material.

In homaging its peers Kick-Ass manages to avoid many of the plot-holes, toning and narrative flaws that plague the genre. Kick-Ass creates a world where spider bites don't produce enhanced costume-making abilities, courtroom dramas don't invade Bat-space and plots don't hinge on kidnapped girlfriends. It is fresh, optimistic and satiracle in a way that other superhero movies and spoofs fail to be.

Not only is this invariably the greatest superhero movie of all time, the best adaptation, but also Nicholas Cages most enjoyable performance. Each character manages to be fun, engaging and irreverent in their own way, earning cult status in the process. Aaron Johnson's Kick-Ass is the Spiderman that should have been, Cage's Big Daddy the Batman that bailed on the Bat-franchise and Hit Girl, well, just the coolest thing ever.

Ridiculously entertaining, entertainingly ridiculous and hugely likeable, Kick-Ass is compulsive viewing that will have you back at the cinema again and again. It is laugh-out-loud, gloriously violent and unexpectedly moving in places, creating the kind of cinematic experience missing from contemporary cinema.

Everything Superhero Movie aspired to be, everything other superhero movies should have been, Kick-Ass is a sweary, violent, delightful treat for anyone that that has a sense of fun. It will be controversial, it will be a box office smash, and most importantly it will be your new favourite movie.

Don't tell Darth Silas that, he'll have a little cry!
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 24/3/2010 11:50:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: bendoofus

A month or so ago in one of the threads someone who'd never heard of this film was asking what it was. I said: "Some new comedy that Empire have been promoting within an inch of its life. So I'm guessing a fat cheque from the studio has ensured a 5 star rating and a "must-see movie of the year" quote from the mag on the poster are a dead cert. Which probably means it's gash."

Don't you just love being right!! =)

I will note, Bendoofus, that that is libel, and is, as such illegal and not tolerated on this board. Not that I'd want to infringe on your prediction skills.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 68
RE: RE: - 24/3/2010 1:07:46 PM   
bendoofus

*sighs* Lighten up.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP BAR!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 69
RE: RE: - 25/3/2010 12:14:40 PM   
baldwinh

I was lucky enough to have watched it at a preview recently and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It's breathe some fresh life into superhero/comic genre and best of all alot of the people behind the film are British talent. You wouldn't have known from just watching the film though.
Aaron Johnson was quite surprising in his role, you expect him to be some heartthrob character from Nowhere Boy, but he plays very convincingly this dorky, geeky character, who had seemed destined to never get the girl.
Obviously the best line from the film is "With no power comes no responsibility", which is being used by FCUK for their advertising at the moment too.
Then there is the character of HIT girl, she's not your average superhero and makes for compulsive viewing. There are shades of Leon the Professional in this film and that's one of my favourite films
I thoroughly enjoyed this addition to the superhero/comic genre, 8 out of 10 for me. Highly recommended!

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 70
Soooo - 26/3/2010 7:46:18 PM   
maffew

....Ages before it was out it garnered three pages of comments debating the star rating, and now it's actually out no one's talking?

I don't get you people! Have you seen it? Are you boycotting it because you've thrown a paddy about how much empire 'got paid' to review it? What's the deal??

I haven't seen it because I work in a cinema, and don't want to go in on my day off.. but i'm sure as hell eager to see it soon..

< Message edited by maffew -- 26/3/2010 7:47:07 PM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 26/3/2010 7:56:44 PM   
Squave

I love that EMPIRE has given Kick Ass 5 stars. For the recors, I havent seen it yet, but I am going tonight so, all being well I will report back later on with what I think.

However, what I think everyone should remember is that, as cool as it looks Kick Ass certainly has had its fair share of negative publicity. Ive seen two negative articles about it in the Daily Mail so far and due to the premise of it being the first 'adult' super-hero movie it certainly has no starter audience as it is the first of its kind.

I think the EMPIRE magazine and website hype was, in a way, to give it a level playing field with other films that appeal to a wider audience. Personally, I wouldnt be suprised if Kick Ass tanked at the Box Office, much like Fight Club did on release. Are a lot of adults going to want to go see a super hero movie? Are a lot of non - EMPIRE fans going to have heard of it? Personally, on TV ive only seen the trailer about three times, so its certainly no 'Bounty Hunter' or 'Hurt Locker Best Oscar blu ray advert' in that regard.

So I juat wanted to say that I agree that EMPIRE has been over promoting this film, the other 5 star review from last months magazine, 'The Girl with the Dragon tatoo' has received nowhere near as much hype. But I think it has its reasons. Its a British film to begin with, its a film that, without positive reviews, I dont think many would venture out to see and hell, if the reviewer liked the film why the hell not give it five stars and talk about it. If you go to the cinema and love Kick Ass you'll be doing the same.

Also, the tagline under this months 'Cop Out' in the EMPIRE magazine is 'More lethal Injesction, that Lethal Weapon'. That doesnt mean we should all kill ourselves with lethal Injections. I thought everyone with a brain knew those things were said in jest. Seriously.

(in reply to baldwinh)
Post #: 72
RE: RE: - 26/3/2010 8:11:22 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squave

it being the first 'adult' super-hero movie it certainly has no starter audience as it is the first of its kind.

Are a lot of adults going to want to go see a super hero movie?

[image]http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/watchmen_450x250.jpg[/image]
?

< Message edited by maffew -- 26/3/2010 8:13:53 PM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 73
RE: RE: - 26/3/2010 9:33:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I think the EMPIRE magazine and website hype was, in a way, to give it a level playing field with other films that appeal to a wider audience. Personally, I wouldnt be suprised if Kick Ass tanked at the Box Office, much like Fight Club did on release. Are a lot of adults going to want to go see a super hero movie?

Yes is the simple answer. The Dark Knight is a superhero film, and the third highest grossing film of all time in the States. Spider-Man 3 was the highest grossing film of 2007.

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 74
RE: AWESOME!!!! - 27/3/2010 12:50:18 AM   
Squave

Apologies for not knowing how to quote.

To Maffew:

With respect because I have getting into arguments, Watchmen was already a famous comic book (The Citizen Kane) of Comic Books some said so it definately had a following, it was also American made and funded and so had much more publicity behind it. As far as i'm aware Kick Ass only got turned into a comic book while it was bring shot, giving it very little time to build up a substancial following. I just came from the screening tonight in my local cinema and as far as i'm aware tonight was the first night of release in the UK(?) It was shown in Screen 7, a small screen and it was only half full. I take your point that Watchmen was the first 'adult' Superhero movie, and stand corrected but Watchmen was certainly in the public eye a lot more and had a starter audience before release.

To adambatman82:

Again, apologies for not quoting. As i've been following the aforementioned 'in your face' coverage in EMPIRE I was very aware of Kick Ass from the beginning, However, when I mentioned it to most of my friends who didn't know about it and only have knowledge through what they've seen on television they see a teenager in a super hero costume and McLovin falling down some steps and they all thought it was Superhero Movie 2. Don't take me literally on that by the way. I still believe that the film won't do good business, having just left the screening an hour ago I really hope I stand corrected as I loved every second of it, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. However, I can still see the view point that a lot of people might have: 'Whats it about?' - A guy that tries to actually become a super hero for real, like with no super powers at all. (Doesn't appeal to many over 25's really). Who would I know that's in it? - well Nic Cage is in it, and erm, McLovin from Superbad. (On recent form the mention of those 2 would turn off most film fans). I could counter argue by saying that theres loads of violence, swearing and its basically gangsters vs. superheros... 'But most of this is from an 11 year old? Like Spy Kids?...'

Ive heard Matthew Vaughn say that he hopes that it finds an audience, and I really really hope it does because I had high, high expectations and it blew them away, but I really dont see it finding a market to make it the big success it deserves to be. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, it could in fact be the Fight Club for a new generation.
Post #: 75
RE: Lick-Ass - 27/3/2010 1:03:39 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Disagree with the review to your hearts content - although most would bother to watch the film before complaining.

That's not really true though anymore, is it?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 76
RE: AWESOME!!!! - 27/3/2010 2:05:39 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

I just came from the screening tonight in my local cinema and as far as i'm aware tonight was the first night of release in the UK(?) It was shown in Screen 7, a small screen and it was only half full.

I imagine it was in a small screen because its previewing this weekend. Its not actually "released" until next weekend. I'm sure the film will do fine. The press has been very positive (with only 1 negative review on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment), with a few typical Daily Mail articles probably giving the film more exposure than doing any actual damage. I have a feeling it will do really well at the box office actually.

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 77
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 8:06:32 AM   
morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

....Ages before it was out it garnered three pages of comments debating the star rating, and now it's actually out no one's talking?

I don't get you people! Have you seen it? Are you boycotting it because you've thrown a paddy about how much empire 'got paid' to review it? What's the deal??

I haven't seen it because I work in a cinema, and don't want to go in on my day off.. but i'm sure as hell eager to see it soon..

There are a few of us that have posted reviews about the film.  I used to come in tho the review thread to see what people think of films but that is a real waste of time nowadays.  There are only a few regular forum members that still review and are actually worth listening to.

It really is a shame the review threads have turned into people slagging ech other, or films they have yet to see.

(Perhaps i have just done what i am complaining about but at least i posted a review)

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 78
RE: AWESOME!!!! - 27/3/2010 9:53:39 AM   
maffew

quote:

Apologies for not knowing how to quote.

You just click the quote button next to the post you want to quote

quote:

With respect because I have getting into arguments, Watchmen was already a famous comic book (The Citizen Kane) of Comic Books some said so it definately had a following, it was also American made and funded and so had much more publicity behind it. As far as i'm aware Kick Ass only got turned into a comic book while it was bring shot, giving it very little time to build up a substancial following. I just came from the screening tonight in my local cinema and as far as i'm aware tonight was the first night of release in the UK(?) It was shown in Screen 7, a small screen and it was only half full. I take your point that Watchmen was the first 'adult' Superhero movie, and stand corrected but Watchmen was certainly in the public eye a lot more and had a starter audience before release.

I'm pretty sure it was a comic book first, and is an on-going one now. I've got comic book fan friends who knew of the comic before it was a film.. But either way, I see your point.

(in reply to Squave)
Post #: 79
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 9:54:12 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: morg1138

quote:

There are a few of us that have posted reviews about the film.  I used to come in tho the review thread to see what people think of films but that is a real waste of time nowadays.  There are only a few regular forum members that still review and are actually worth listening to.

It really is a shame the review threads have turned into people slagging ech other, or films they have yet to see.

(Perhaps i have just done what i am complaining about but at least i posted a review)

And to be fair the film isn't "properly" out yet. Although these preview screenings do seem pretty much everywhere!

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 80
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/3/2010 11:14:29 AM   
captainrentboy

Well I hate to be one of the first to sound like an AICN board poster, but I didn't think it was thaaat fantastic.
Loads of the jokes seemed like the unused cast offs from other teen comedies such as Superbad, lots and lots of sequences/quotes scattered throughout that either literally borrowed from or parodied other superhero flicks, I was under the impression one of the main selling points of the comic/film was that it was so fresh and new, revitalising the stale genre, something totally different, yet the movie name checked almost every other comic book property out there Not enough Nic Cage, not enough action sequences and the ones that were there were fairly short and quite rapidly cut, and there was bit of a lull in the middle....
But even with the above whingy complaints I still enjoyed it, there were some great sequences dotted throughout, such as the internet broadcast towards the end, Kickass' first attempts at crime fighting and when Hit Girl turns up at the drug dealer's apartment. Lots of the jokes did hit their mark and Hollywood's newest go to bad guy, Mark Strong, was also really good. Ohh and it had a great soundtrack too.
But Empire's unbelievable hyping of the film kind of damaged the experience for me (Yes by all means hype away for upcoming big releases, it's expected, but this film had a whole new level of crazy hype), the way they were going on I was expecting something out of this freakin' world, so any faults became all the more apparent, and sadly for me it turned out just merely above average. I'd give it 3.5/5

< Message edited by captainrentboy -- 27/3/2010 12:37:58 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 81
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 11:17:15 AM   
ollie_jones

All the posters say ' Out March 26th'

Anyway, I saw it last night Great film. Tried to go to my local showcase, being 5 mins late all I thought I would be missing is some adverts but apprently as it was a preview they weren't running trailers before the film. Went to a later showing at my local Vue and it was packed and I finally got to see the Scott Pilgrim trailer on the Big screen

< Message edited by ollie_jones -- 27/3/2010 11:22:19 AM >

http://www.betterfeelingfilms.com

Post #: 82
RE: AWESOME!!!! - 27/3/2010 12:08:01 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure it was a comic book first, and is an on-going one now. I've got comic book fan friends who knew of the comic before it was a film.. But either way, I see your point.

I think it was an idea by Mark Millar but the script was being written at the same time as the comics. The comic was out first but the final issue was only released a few weeks ago.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 83
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 12:12:36 PM   
Bobby Macabre

What can I say? I totally loved it, and I think it has become my new favourite film!

I've not cheered or laughed so much at a film in ages, and the great thing? I wasn't the only one doing so. It was like a celebration.

I'm gonna have to see it again. It's all still a bit fuzzy and hyper in my head at the moment, so I can't really focus my words properly, but I loved it - that's an absolute given. A pure cinematic experience. 5 stars, and then some...

'I've always been misrepresented. You know, I could dress in a clown costume and laugh with the happy people but they'd still say I'm a dark personality' - Tim Burton

(in reply to ollie_jones)
Post #: 84
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 2:25:01 PM   
Schnorbitz

OK, I thought it was strange that we seemed to have trailers in Croydon (Scott Pilgrim, Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and 4.3.2.1) but not adverts. Except for the Orange one. I'm starting to get sick of seeing Danny Glover being pushed through the window. So still previewing. Well, I've updated my Facebook sayint I thought it was terrific, so they'll have a bit of word of mouth from me - throughly deserved. Although it's the second time I've seen a film recently at the Vue in Croydon (in screen 6, strangely enough) that's shown somewhat out of focus.

(in reply to Bobby Macabre)
Post #: 85
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 2:41:34 PM   
captainrentboy

With regards to the lack of adverts, whenever I've caught an advanced preview there have never been any adverts, just straight to the movie trailers and I bloody love it
Ohh and as a few of you were going on about it earlier, Kick Ass was shown in one of the bigger screens in Cardiff's Odeon on Fri night and I'd say it was no more than a quarter full. Annoying as I got there like 45 minutes early expecting crazy queues And even though it was an advanced preview, pretty much all the advertsising for the film said out on the 26th, so the quietness was quite surprising. Even though I found it just 'good', I still hope it does really well box office wise, I'd quite happily go for a sequel.

(in reply to Schnorbitz)
Post #: 86
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 3:03:41 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

With regards to the lack of adverts, whenever I've caught an advanced preview there have never been any adverts, just straight to the movie trailers and I bloody love it
Ohh and as a few of you were going on about it earlier, Kick Ass was shown in one of the bigger screens in Cardiff's Odeon on Fri night and I'd say it was no more than a quarter full. Annoying as I got there like 45 minutes early expecting crazy queues And even though it was an advanced preview, pretty much all the advertsising for the film said out on the 26th, so the quietness was quite surprising. Even though I found it just 'good', I still hope it does really well box office wise, I'd quite happily go for a sequel.

Simply brillaint in every way. A huge improvement on what was written on the page by Millar. Performances that go way beyond the call of duty, an understanding of what makes the genre tick, action to die for (literally), emotional when you don't expect, hilarious to boot, amazing visuals and SFX, pace, drama, cinematography and the best editing seen in a very long time.

Go see and then see again, straight away.

Sorry realised I've quoted when no reason too, apologies the captain

< Message edited by JIm R -- 27/3/2010 3:05:08 PM >

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 87
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 5:02:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: ollie_jones

All the posters say ' Out March 26th'

Well they're wrong then. Its previewing 26th-28th, and opens on the 31st. Check any cinema listings, there are no screenings Monday thru Thursday.

I was going to see this again this afternoon, but there are no screenings in the four cinemas in and around Leeds before 5pm.

(in reply to ollie_jones)
Post #: 88
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 5:46:29 PM   
sanchia

On the back of last months Empire it says April 2.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 89
RE: Soooo - 27/3/2010 7:08:25 PM   
kenada_woo

Absolutely brilliant film. I know it sounds gushy and geeky fanboyish but Im sure it'll creep into one of my favourite films of all time -- yeah, its that good.

Funny, well written, superb action, great likeable characters you care about, original and witty.

Its gonna be hard pressed to find a better film this year. Bar has been raised for the quality for the rest of the year for me. A true gem....and NOT IN 3D EITHER hahah.

Believe the hype. Possibly one the best comic book films ever made....definately will be one the best films of the year.

*****/*****

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 27/3/2010 7:12:07 PM >

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Movie Aside Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI