Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kick-Ass

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Kick-Ass Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 2:15:12 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyswright

Its reviewed in this month's mag.... You can't missed it, its the one with all the smeared lipstick over its bottom.

Is every 5 star review just an exercise in arse kissing then?

(in reply to andyswright)
Post #: 31
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 3:27:17 PM   
Mr Terrific

Er have'nt seen it. But check out CHUDs review before you get all upset about Empire giving it Five Stars.

Here.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 32
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 3:36:01 PM   
CORLEONE

Another great review. I'm defo gonna watch this. Don't know why some are hating it before they've seen it, but hey, fuck it.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 33
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 3:37:46 PM   
tftrman

I personally can't wait and I've got free preview tickets to boot!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 34
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 3:55:17 PM   
andyswright

tftrman,

Giving a film 5 stars is not a crime, but its the way they've banged on about it for months leading up, climaxing with a flurry of nonsense about how its going to be my new favourite film. I'll be the judge of that, Empire!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 35
Lick-Ass - 14/3/2010 11:55:15 PM   
SpiderBat

Empire has history with this type of shit, plenty of it. Review in the mag couldn't be more of a turn-off and the trailer looks irritating as hell. Is it supposed to be realistic, or what? If not, then what's the point? Gonna avoid this by miles until I see reviews from people without a brown envelope in their back pocket.
Post #: 36
RE: Lick-Ass - 15/3/2010 10:49:56 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat
Is it supposed to be realistic, or what? If not, then what's the point?

This makes no sense.  What do you mean; is any action, vigilante or man a mission film realistic?

quote:

Gonna avoid this by miles until I see reviews from people without a brown envelope in their back pocket.

Cool, might as well stick in a bit of unessacery libel.  Also, I like the way you ignore the link to the Chud review a few posts up.  Good work.

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 15/3/2010 9:24:17 PM >

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 37
RE: Lick-Ass - 15/3/2010 6:41:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

Empire has history with this type of shit, plenty of it. Review in the mag couldn't be more of a turn-off and the trailer looks irritating as hell. Is it supposed to be realistic, or what? If not, then what's the point? Gonna avoid this by miles until I see reviews from people without a brown envelope in their back pocket.

Spiderbat - I'd suggest you acquaint yourself with libel laws and unless and until you have any proof for your accusation button it or keep it off the Boards. Disagree with the review to your hearts content - although most would bother to watch the film before complaining.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 38
RE: Lick-Ass - 15/3/2010 7:08:02 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Spiderbat - I'd suggest you acquaint yourself with libel laws and unless and until you have any proof for your accusation button it or keep it off the Boards. Disagree with the review to your hearts content - although most would bother to watch the film before complaining.

Is there a law against Empire telling us that Kick-ass is YOUR NEW FAVOURITE FILM!! without letting us have any say in the matter?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: Kick-Ass - 15/3/2010 7:13:58 PM   
Captain Black

Way to miss the point: Disagree with a review, fine, but do so without making libelous accusations of Empire taking bribes in return for star ratings.

Incidentally, anyone accusing Empire of anything untoward: you do realise that by merely posting in this thread you're giving them ad revenue right?

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 40
RE: Lick-Ass - 15/3/2010 8:52:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Is there a law against Empire telling us that Kick-ass is YOUR NEW FAVOURITE FILM!! without letting us have any say in the matter?

Jesus Christ, please get over that, its becoming as dull as the whole Daniel Craig-Cry Baby period of your life.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 41
RE: Kick-Ass - 15/3/2010 9:22:34 PM   
maffew

Oh for Gods Sake this is getting boring - can Empire not give a good review to something without a barrage of people insisting they took bribes for it? Its totally ridiculous.. What ever happened to making up your own mind? Or maybe thinking about the fact that it just MIGHT be a Five Star film - regardless of the fact that it's entirely subjective. It's baffling to me that there can be so many educated views on something that hasn't even been released yet!

Chill the fuck out - wait and see, watch the film - or dont, I don't care!

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 42
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/3/2010 6:31:38 AM   
sarkark21

Niceeeeeee & awesome movie. really thanks

http://indian-bollywood-masala.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 43
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/3/2010 1:23:47 PM   
benskelly

The irony of accusing Empire of kissing Vaughn's ass or there being some fix in on the movie is that if you look at the video from last year's Comic-Con you'll see that Vaughn felt that Empire wasn't giving his movie any attention and was clearly peeved.  And in his interview Chris seemed to be almost dismissive or skeptical about Kick-Ass, concentrating on the fact that Vaughn still had not found a distributor.

So when he says "Where did this come from?" - he's being very honest and admitting to the fact that he never expected such a great movie and that Vaughn really surprised him.

How could a rave review be more genuine than that?  

(in reply to sarkark21)
Post #: 44
RE: ... - 18/3/2010 8:13:38 PM   
robwillphill

If I could describe Kick-Ass in one word... well I cant because it is so good that it deserves more. Here is the list:
Gory, unique, incredible, hilarious, immense, divisive, fantastic, and yes... kick-ass! "A ridiculously entertaining, perfectly paced, ultra-violent cinematic rush that kicks the places other movies struggle to reach" - couldn't put it better myself.

10/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house
Post #: 45
RE: ... - 18/3/2010 11:50:07 PM   
piccolo135

Thought I'd add my bit as I've been to the Birmingham showing tonight courtesy of TellTen.

First and foremost, Kick-Ass kicks ass. I know, I know, but seriously, it does.

Although it nabs and nods at every hero film in the book it does it without any form of cliche. For a comic book hero movie its massively refreshing, you genuinely have no idea which way its gonna go.

As people have said, Chloe Moretz is great, but for me Nick Cage stole the show. We know he looks like Batman, (" I never said he looked like Batman!! " LOL) but his take on it is downright brilliant, happily goes to show just how good Nick Cage can be with the right stuff in tow.

But major kudos to Matthew Vaughn. The style, imagery, design and general feel of the film was outstanding. This is one film thats gonna look great on Blu-Ray.
(and lets not forget Di Amico's heavy, and his bazooka. Genius.)

And so my star rating would probably be around 4 and a half stars, but seeing as we need to round up or down, it'll be 5.

PS - Cant wait to buy the soundtrack, its brilliant. (if your wondering where you've heard the main Kick-Ass theme from, its The Prodigy - Stand Up. and also my new ring tone.)

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 46
RE: - 19/3/2010 11:34:05 AM   
Ethanial

The last few big 5 star reviews I went along with, Dragon Tattoo, Avatar, Public Enemies, Precious, Kick Ass.
They all freaking suck. What's going on Empire? You don't understand good films anymore?
Then again, we're in a world with limited good films, so you have to give out your annual quota somehow, even if it means tarnishing hte reputation of the magazine.

An awful, awful, awful film.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 47
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/3/2010 12:52:06 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Oh for Gods Sake this is getting boring - can Empire not give a good review to something without a barrage of people insisting they took bribes for it? Its totally ridiculous.. What ever happened to making up your own mind? Or maybe thinking about the fact that it just MIGHT be a Five Star film - regardless of the fact that it's entirely subjective. It's baffling to me that there can be so many educated views on something that hasn't even been released yet!

Chill the fuck out - wait and see, watch the film - or dont, I don't care!

What he said!

Read the review on CHUD, Rotten Tomatoes, Latino Review or any other movie website you choose to name and 99% of them say that Kick-Ass is a fucking belter of a movie. I have seen it and i can say that it is absolutely fucking awesome and as it happens it is my new favourite movie!

Just trolling Empire's reviewers over and over can get really tiresome and comes across as nothing more than juvenile. I don't always agree with the reviews* but in this case i do - the review was spot-on!

*When i dont agree with a review or i think it is badly written I certainly don't get all pissy about it and start throwing around dumbass remarks like some of the people on this forum!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 48
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/3/2010 2:44:01 PM   
Big_Pants

Sometimes I hate the internet, it's full of whingy know it alls. Worse it's full of whingy know it alls that haven't even seen the film yet. Well I have seen it and bloody loved it. Chris Hewitts review is just that, a review. It's HIS opinion, you can take what he says and agree or disagree. I happen to agree with him here. As for Empire "ramming the film down our throats" I'm sure you'd all complain if the film bombed due to lack of coverage. Look, it's funny, gory, filled with great lines and great performances, some of you will flip out over it and some of you will think it's overhyped rubbish. Again that it your opinion just don't denegrate or dismiss something that you haven't even seen yet.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 4:34:48 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

The last few big 5 star reviews I went along with, Dragon Tattoo, Avatar, Public Enemies, Precious, Kick Ass.
They all freaking suck. What's going on Empire? You don't understand good films anymore?
Then again, we're in a world with limited good films, so you have to give out your annual quota somehow, even if it means tarnishing hte reputation of the magazine.

An awful, awful, awful film.

What didn't you like, out of interest? I thought it was great fun, original and cool without trying too hard. Maybe it was the audience I saw it with but there were cheers during some of the more exhilarating sequences.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 6:50:32 PM   
bigbadbeasty

I was already really excited about this film, but the reviews I have read so far seem really encouraging. Could it replace Mystery Men?!

I do however pray that this isn't a King-Kong/Avatar '5' stars though.

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 7:49:44 PM   
andyswright

Regardless of whether its good or not (I will watch it and make up my own mind then), I think the point is becoming a little lost here. Yes, films need coverage. But there's coverage, and then there's ramming it down your throat whilst wetting yourself with over-excitement. Of course good films should have positive reviews, but I personally didn't find Empire's review of this film informative - just read like a load of gush and hot air.

(in reply to bigbadbeasty)
Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 19/3/2010 11:05:31 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyswright

Regardless of whether its good or not (I will watch it and make up my own mind then), I think the point is becoming a little lost here. Yes, films need coverage. But there's coverage, and then there's ramming it down your throat whilst wetting yourself with over-excitement. Of course good films should have positive reviews, but I personally didn't find Empire's review of this film informative - just read like a load of gush and hot air.

Personally, I read Chewie's review and came away thinking "I must watch this movie now"! Different strokes for different folks, it just seems like some people forget about that from time to time...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to andyswright)
Post #: 53
RE: RE: - 21/3/2010 11:19:46 PM   
Ethanial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gretzky
What didn't you like, out of interest? I thought it was great fun, original and cool without trying too hard. Maybe it was the audience I saw it with but there were cheers during some of the more exhilarating sequences.

I thought the jokes were poor, cheap, easy, akin to The Hangover, not once did I care about a character, and it seemed like everyone had a single dimension without any interest in humanising them (especially with Hit Girl, one moment at the end after a whole film of 'oh she swears and kills, that's the joke', didn't work for me)
And then the final battle, with Kick Ass on the, ahem, well, no spoilers. I just couldn't take the barrage of inanity involved.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 54
RE: - 22/3/2010 11:43:25 AM   
bendoofus

A month or so ago in one of the threads someone who'd never heard of this film was asking what it was. I said: "Some new comedy that Empire have been promoting within an inch of its life. So I'm guessing a fat cheque from the studio has ensured a 5 star rating and a "must-see movie of the year" quote from the mag on the poster are a dead cert. Which probably means it's gash."

Don't you just love being right!! =)

I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP BAR!
Post #: 55
RE: RE: - 22/3/2010 12:10:38 PM   
raclements

I'm really looking forward to this as I was a big fan of the comic.

Yeah that's right- the comic that the review seems to have neglected to mention it's based on! And giving the script writers a big-up is a bit rich being that- as far as I have seen- they have merely transcripted verbatim the script from the original comic...

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 56
RE: - 22/3/2010 1:48:29 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: artilleryman

More emotional adolescent bullshit in other words. Isn't it about time that movies grew up again

As a 31 year old historian who loves the stupidly daft inanity of Drive, Ong-Bak, Shoot 'Em Up and Crank, why in the blue hell would you want movies to grow up? This is a movie, made to entertain. If it does stupid things that look cool which in turns puts a stupidly smug grin on my face, so be it. Obviously, if you want something emotive, adult, artistic and meaningful, you should look elsewhere as this comment really doesn't add all that much... 

< Message edited by Felix -- 23/3/2010 8:55:05 AM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/
Post #: 57
RE: RE: - 22/3/2010 3:56:41 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: bendoofus

A month or so ago in one of the threads someone who'd never heard of this film was asking what it was. I said: "Some new comedy that Empire have been promoting within an inch of its life. So I'm guessing a fat cheque from the studio has ensured a 5 star rating and a "must-see movie of the year" quote from the mag on the poster are a dead cert. Which probably means it's gash."

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1217700-kick_ass/

They must have been paying out an awful lot of money...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 58
RE: RE: - 22/3/2010 3:59:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: bendoofus

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1217700-kick_ass/

They must have been paying out an awful lot of money...

Not to mention the majority of non critics who enjoyed it. Maybe they are on the take as well?

SOMEONE PAY ME!? I HAVE NO SCRUPPLES!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 59
RE: RE: - 22/3/2010 4:18:53 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: raclements

I'm really looking forward to this as I was a big fan of the comic.

Yeah that's right- the comic that the review seems to have neglected to mention it's based on! And giving the script writers a big-up is a bit rich being that- as far as I have seen- they have merely transcripted verbatim the script from the original comic...

Interesting.

Incidentally, are Chris Hewitt and the director sleeping together or something?  That was the biggest suckass review I've ever read.

Seriously made me want to watch it though, so mission accomplished!

(in reply to raclements)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Kick-Ass Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI