Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Kick-Ass

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Kick-Ass Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kick-Ass - 25/1/2010 8:36:29 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 25/1/2010 11:24:41 PM   
juanvasquez

Looking forward to this, even more so now. Hopefully it's playing in my local chav-plex.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films
Post #: 2
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/1/2010 7:40:37 PM   
robwillphill

"BubbleGum Tarantino" is what it looks like to me - cant wait!

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house
Post #: 3
RE: Kick-Ass - 17/2/2010 3:51:03 PM   
plum bob

went past the cinema earlier and saw you had given it 5 stars empire on the poster. hurry and get the review online. I am certainly very interterested in reading about this fun looking movie

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
RE: Kick-Ass - 18/2/2010 11:53:41 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

Get this review and thousands more on on your iPhone, download the Empire Movie Guide now!

D
on't actually have an iPhone.  Thanks.

(in reply to plum bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Kick-Ass - 19/2/2010 12:14:07 PM   
odddaze

I've seen the movie and it's great, very much worthy of 4 stars, not 5. It's like a comedic Watchmen.

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 6
RE: Kick-Ass - 20/2/2010 2:16:20 PM   
hatebox

The Empire website has pretty much been a glorified advert for this film in recent months.

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 7
RE: Kick-Ass - 20/2/2010 6:21:05 PM   
piccolo135

Empire is pretty much the only place I've seen extensive promo's for Kick-Ass, I imagine they are plugging it so much because they think its really good.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 8
RE: Kick-Ass - 22/2/2010 6:01:42 PM   
Matt865

So, Wossy was right. 5 stars in the April mag. Being a celebrity apparently does have its advantages. 

(in reply to piccolo135)
Post #: 9
RE: Kick-Ass - 24/2/2010 4:22:52 PM  1 votes
timkins

I'm afraid to say I hope this film tanks, and tanks horribly. Why? Well, it may well be a superb movie, but Empire magazine TELLING ME, over and over, that it will be my New Favourite Film, (three times and counting, now) and how the little girl is a new ready made icon, etc etc blah blah, is exactly the best way to turn me off it. Forced iconhood is no iconhood at all. Sorry, but there you go.

(in reply to Matt865)
Post #: 10
RE: Kick-Ass - 24/2/2010 5:16:41 PM   
UTB

The review is a bit ZOMG! but even so I'll still give it a go. 

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 11
RE: Kick-Ass - 25/2/2010 3:17:37 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: timkins

I'm afraid to say I hope this film tanks, and tanks horribly. Why? Well, it may well be a superb movie, but Empire magazine TELLING ME, over and over, that it will be my New Favourite Film, (three times and counting, now) and how the little girl is a new ready made icon, etc etc blah blah, is exactly the best way to turn me off it. Forced iconhood is no iconhood at all. Sorry, but there you go.

Seem a perfectly valid reason to hate a film...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 12
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 10:53:30 AM   
andyswright

Does Empire have shares in Vaughn's career? Are they his new agent? They've been plugging this one like the second coming of Christ. All I see is KISS ASS.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 13
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 10:56:12 AM   
jedi fu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

And the rest - 'Hey kids meet your new favourite star/ costume/ director/ elephant/ lighthouse/ bagel/ whatever'. I hate that. I see it printed often and find it very patronizing. We're not all 14 you know.

But kick-ass looks like proper fun in the sun for all. and I hope it makes a ton of money, hollywood's idea of how to make movies needs another big fat slap I think.

Sanitization for all. Be quiet, take your pills and look at all the pretty pictures. No, there's nothing that will offend you here. The good guys love their mum's and the naughty skinheads learn the error of their ways and change their outlook on life to become better people and good neighbours to the kapur's and the wongs. and look, all the little orphans have got their parents back, christmas isn't cancelled anymore and look mummy it's snowing . . . ooh I can hear the tinkle of little bells . . . its rosebud! she's calling to me to come and play. oh daddy its perfect. just like real life . . . 

Repeat . . . Repeat . . . Repeat . . . Repeat . . . .Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . switch off

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 10:56:47 AM   
Rgirvan44

Ho ho ho.

Thats a clever pun.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to andyswright)
Post #: 15
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 11:35:49 AM   
timkins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Oh, I never said hate-- I have not seen it, so have no real reason to love or hate it. Thus the grimness of being TOLD I'm going to love it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 11:37:43 AM   
timkins

quote:

But kick-ass looks like proper fun in the sun for all. and I hope it makes a ton of money, hollywood's idea of how to make movies needs another big fat slap I think.

Sanitization for all. Be quiet, take your pills and look at all the pretty pictures. No, there's nothing that will offend you here. The good guys love their mum's and the naughty skinheads learn the error of their ways and change their outlook on life to become better people and good neighbours to the kapur's and the wongs. and look, all the little orphans have got their parents back, christmas isn't cancelled anymore and look mummy it's snowing . . . ooh I can hear the tinkle of little bells . . . its rosebud! she's calling to me to come and play. oh daddy its perfect. just like real life . . . 

Repeat . . . Repeat . . . Repeat . . . Repeat . . . .Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . Repeat . . . . switch off

So, you don't mind being told what to think if it fits your own bias, then....

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 17
RE: Kick-Ass - 26/2/2010 8:49:08 PM   
TheSpleen

Really wanted to see this when i first heard about it but after reading all the press Empire has given it over the last few months over and over and after reading the magazine review i may aswell not bother. Plot was explained in the review.

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 18
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/2/2010 2:26:13 AM   
empire No. 1

bubblegum tarantino? that should be the quads quote! not seen it yet, but i bet he would be delighted, no matter what. for my , it LOOKS delicious.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 19
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/2/2010 5:36:51 PM   
jedi fu

quote:

quote:

So, you don't mind being told what to think if it fits your own bias, then....

I have no idea what you mean. I was being sarcastic.

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 20
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/2/2010 5:56:56 PM   
jedi fu

ah I see what you mean.  Me thinking the film looks good fun from the trailer and the source material has nothing to do with being told by kids this is gonna be my favourite film. If I think it looks good its got nothing to do with people telling me im gonna love it. Being told to love something used to put me off checking it out but like i said im not 14 anymore, rebelling for the sake of being different. Kick ass looks good, wanting it to fail because people tell you to love it is so 1986.

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 21
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/2/2010 6:00:14 PM   
jedi fu

Dont hate the film. Hate the journalist. Its not the filmmakers fault the journalist's write themselves into a sugar rush over your film.

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 22
RE: Kick-Ass - 27/2/2010 6:14:27 PM   
andyswright

I don't think people are 'rebelling' because they're being told to like it, I think its more of a case of 'stop ramming it down our throats, you're spoiling the fun for us'. Hyping up films is not going to make me rush out and see them.

If I'm honest, I buy Empire for the interviews/articles, not the reviews. Whilst its interesting to see what they think of new movies, I've lost count over the amount of times they've dished out rave reviews for complete crap. The reviews are without a doubt the weakest part of the magazine.

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 23
RE: Kick-Ass - 28/2/2010 6:05:10 AM   
jedi fu

exactly.
Its good to know what movies are coming up but not so good being told how much we're gonna love them

(in reply to andyswright)
Post #: 24
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/3/2010 1:49:45 PM   
timkins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jedi fu

ah I see what you mean.  Me thinking the film looks good fun from the trailer and the source material has nothing to do with being told by kids this is gonna be my favourite film. If I think it looks good its got nothing to do with people telling me im gonna love it.

Fair enough!

quote:

Being told to love something used to put me off checking it out but like i said im not 14 anymore, rebelling for the sake of being different.

I'll take you at your word, but the picture you paint of "sanitization for all" is pretty fourteen-year-oldy.

quote:

Kick ass looks good, wanting it to fail because people tell you to love it is so 1986.

As opposed to the terrible I-want-I-want-I-want-doesn't-get epidemic of 1987, you mean? Those were dark days!

< Message edited by timkins -- 3/3/2010 2:15:00 PM >

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 25
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/3/2010 1:50:21 PM   
timkins

quote:

Dont hate the film. Hate the journalist. Its not the filmmakers fault the journalist's write themselves into a sugar rush over your film.

I don't hate the film, I already said.

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 26
RE: Kick-Ass - 3/3/2010 2:12:26 PM   
timkins

quote:

It's very much on topic  :)

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 27
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 10:50:56 AM   
jedi fu

I don't know how to do the multiple quote's in one answer thingy so I'll bullet point 

*but the picture you paint of "sanitization for all" is pretty fourteen-year-oldy*
- Its not my picture. I borrowed it from George Orwell but added movieism's instead of political propaganda. isnt big brother patronizing and condesending? I always thought he was . .

*As opposed to the terrible I-want-I-want-I-want-doesn't-get epidemic of 1987, you mean?*
-ha ha ha, but no. 1986 as in: I was 14 in 1986 :)

*I don't hate the film, I already said.*
-I meant that thought more as a general statement than a response directly to you, sorry

*It's very much on topic*
-But I was slagging of journalist's rather than commenting on Kick-Ass??!

-How do you do the multiple quote's in one answer thingy?!

(in reply to timkins)
Post #: 28
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 11:05:56 AM   
CORLEONE

Why is this thread even here when Empire haven't even got a review up?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jedi fu)
Post #: 29
RE: Kick-Ass - 4/3/2010 1:13:38 PM   
andyswright

Its reviewed in this month's mag.... You can't missed it, its the one with all the smeared lipstick over its bottom.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Kick-Ass Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI