Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Princess And The Frog

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Princess And The Frog Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Princess And The Frog - 25/1/2010 3:31:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 25/1/2010 3:31:27 PM   
Timon

It's been a bit quiet regarding Princess and Frog's box office stateside, but apparantly it's made almost $100 million. I suppose that just pales compared to Avatar's haul.

Can't wait to see the latest Disney output.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/1/2010 6:21:44 PM   
vinnie_nine

I disagree with the view 'but this may be too scary for the very small.' Fairytales only exist today because they have been passed down through generations of adults reading them to children; proper fairytales that haven't had the Disney gloss coat applied can be quite horrific, but we've managed to get this far. The thing they all have in common is the happy resolution, which is key. The kid, like the protagonist, has had to face his or her fears before triumphing and moving to a progressed state of existence. They are supposed to empathise with the character and it helps them understand how to deal with real life issues on a subconscious level. Parent's who 'protect' their children from these kind of experiences are completely ignorant, in my opinion of course.

Post #: 3
- 25/1/2010 9:20:39 PM   
kennys hat

I would also have to disagree about young children being scared by the film. I watched this with my 5 and 4 year old and they loved it all the way through and were wiggling around to the songs. unlike some films, it held their attention throughout. Thoroughly recommended film.

Post #: 4
RE: - 27/1/2010 8:00:49 PM   
robwillphill

An outstanding return to the classic Disney cartoon films. As for kids being scared, isn't that a trait of Disney films? Scary undertones? (Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, etc...) Anyway, a fantastic film for adults and children alike!

9/10

< Message edited by robwillphill -- 27/1/2010 8:01:25 PM >

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to kennys hat)
Post #: 5
- 28/1/2010 3:21:21 AM   
nc_jj

It does remind Disney's good 'ol times, but I think that this movie is overrated. It's just decent. Period.

Post #: 6
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 29/1/2010 7:13:26 AM   
m_er

The Princess and the Frog (2009) 3/5
Classic Disney. Not very original but an enjoyable 2-D animation flick.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

Post #: 7
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 1/2/2010 9:22:42 PM   
benskelly

I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish.  Wonderful animation.  I especially loved the little touch of Tex Avery they gave to Tiana's best friend.  The voice work for the old firefly is perfect too.

I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the old hand-drawn classics.  

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 8
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 4/2/2010 10:07:49 PM   
bozo

To tell you the truth, I expected more from the Disney film that was to signify a 'return to form'. Yes, the film is beautiful eye-candy and the characters were amusing, but the story was thoroughly unoriginal and there were too many songs. 4 in the first 20 minutes. Still, it's better than their last 4 theatrical films (3 of which computer animated), but they really have to work super hard on the story of the next one. A little more risk-taking and outside-the-box thinking would be greatly appreciated. I guess we've been too spoiled by the unique and original Pixar output, but still - The Princess and the Frog cannot even compete with mid-to-late nineties Disney.

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 9
Superb - 5/2/2010 12:57:07 PM   
Taz69

Great animation (under John Lassiter Disney has returned it's hand drawn animation to rival Miyazaki's marvels again). The Princess and the Frog is brilliantly casted, Rose and Campos really bounce off each other, It's got great songs (especially Almost There), a simple but effective fairy tale story and funny companions.
I'm just a sucker for a trumpet blowing alligator.

Post #: 10
RE: Superb - 5/2/2010 5:48:29 PM   
genejoke

Definitely a return to form, too scary for young kids?  No but it is certainly scarier than anything that Pixar have put out, which is kind of funny due to the John Lasseter thing.
Proves that there is still a market for 2D animation and that disney can still turn out the goods.

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 11
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 6/2/2010 11:00:42 AM   
wildphantom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

To tell you the truth, I expected more from the Disney film that was to signify a 'return to form'. Yes, the film is beautiful eye-candy and the characters were amusing, but the story was thoroughly unoriginal and there were too many songs. 4 in the first 20 minutes. Still, it's better than their last 4 theatrical films (3 of which computer animated), but they really have to work super hard on the story of the next one. A little more risk-taking and outside-the-box thinking would be greatly appreciated. I guess we've been too spoiled by the unique and original Pixar output, but still - The Princess and the Frog cannot even compete with mid-to-late nineties Disney.

I actually couldn't disagree more.
I am a MASSIVE Disney animation geek - not that that counts or anything, just saying.

I went in expecting to enjoy it, but was left absolutely slack-jawed by the movie.
I thought the screenplay was sensational, taking risks and doing things that the Mouse House arguably hasn't ever done before.
The film moves like a rocket, with numerous strands that are woven wonderfully well. The storytelling is masterful. Subtle, but works well for all ages.
Like I said, it was the pace and zip to the piece - as well as the film feeling full to bursting with richness and life within twenty minutes.

Personally I felt it to be, as a whole, the best film they've made since Aladdin.

It had a confidence and ambition about it that we haven't seen, certainly since The Emperor's New Groove.
The mixtures of animation styles utterly stupendous.

We're all entitled to our own opinions of course, but this film is right up there with the studio's finest work of the 90's.
Probably the most important film they have made since The Little Mermaid.

At least we all agree it's good anyway!!!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 12
Traditional Handrawn Cell Animation Masterpiece - 6/2/2010 6:46:00 PM   
Bighousewill

This film is gorgeous you have to respect the art of the traditional handdrawn animation. I also liked the sound track by Randy Newman I guess John Lasseter influenced that. This is a good old Disney Fairy tail.

Post #: 13
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 6/2/2010 7:37:03 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wildphantom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

I actually couldn't disagree more.
I am a MASSIVE Disney animation geek - not that that counts or anything, just saying.

I went in expecting to enjoy it, but was left absolutely slack-jawed by the movie.
I thought the screenplay was sensational, taking risks and doing things that the Mouse House arguably hasn't ever done before.
The film moves like a rocket, with numerous strands that are woven wonderfully well. The storytelling is masterful. Subtle, but works well for all ages.
Like I said, it was the pace and zip to the piece - as well as the film feeling full to bursting with richness and life within twenty minutes.

Personally I felt it to be, as a whole, the best film they've made since Aladdin.

It had a confidence and ambition about it that we haven't seen, certainly since The Emperor's New Groove.
The mixtures of animation styles utterly stupendous.

We're all entitled to our own opinions of course, but this film is right up there with the studio's finest work of the 90's.
Probably the most important film they have made since The Little Mermaid.

At least we all agree it's good anyway!!!

Let's agree to disagree
After all, The Little Mermaid wasn't perfect either, but it heralded a new golden age of disney animation. I hope The Princess and the Frog does likewise.

(in reply to wildphantom)
Post #: 14
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 7/2/2010 12:44:41 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Love it, love it, love it!

Fantastic characters (not just the leads, but of course, the sidekicks... Ray in particular could have reminded me of the Transformers 2 twins but he won me over very quickly, as did a trumpet-playing Gator ) and then there's the villain, I love Keith David loads and he was perfect, a really scary, charming and sinister villain (lots of scary voodoo stuff, bit suspect and a first for Disney but very effective) and miles better than the villain who was the one weak link of Up, and probably the best Disney villain in ages!

Lovely songs, beautiful animation, fast-paced story, and plenty of other Disney traditions rolled into a neat-little package! (as Homer Simpson would say)

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 15
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 8/2/2010 6:47:03 PM   
Invader_Ace

Pretty Good.  Obviously Disney.  Seemed quite restrained and understated compared to most kids films these days.  The bonkers Princess obsessed friend was brilliant.  Erm... gonna go 3 stars.

EDIT: Nah, bollocks to it. 4 Stars.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 16
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 11/2/2010 9:13:10 AM   
Timon

I thought it was a suitably moving, surprisingly dark and well written return to form for Disney.

Tiana was the right side of driven and not too stuck up, her friend was completely two faced and bitchy as you'd expect her to be and Naveen was charming whilst still being a complete plank

Throw in some decent songs and I'd say Lassenter is steering the House of Mouse back on course.

4/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 17
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 11/2/2010 6:38:33 PM   
Dr Lenera

A cracking throwback to 90s Disney,The Princess And The Frog has yet another variation on the two lovers cursed with an enchantment plot that has been the basis for so many classics from the studio, gathers together all the tried and tested elements you expect, from star crossed lovers to funny animal sidekicks to a scary villain, tweaks them ever so slightly to better reflects today's attitudes [such as a carefree wastrel of a hero, a poor but hard working heroine], and plonks them down in a very interesting and vividly realised New Orleans setting. The animation is somewhere near the studio's best and at times very beautiful, such as several sequences with Fireflies, while there is also a return to real fear with the voodoo villain and his ghost helpers-this subplot is visually very impressively rendered. The songs are a decidedly mixed bag and rather too many in number, especially during the first section of the film, while the climax is over rather too quickly. Perhaps the studio have played it a little TOO safe- there are constant throwbacks to earlier films throughout and the setting and occassional changes of attitude and characterisation aren't quite enough to dispel the feeling of deja vu [though watch out for one major character getting killed!]. Still, it's so entertaining throughout, and generally so well judged in it's balance of sweet romance, slapstick humour, uplifting morals and all the other things you expect to see, it doesn't matter much at all. Perhaps this will be the overhaul that The Little Mermaid was and will pave the way for some true classics?

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 11/2/2010 7:26:13 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
her friend was completely two faced and bitchy as you'd expect her to be

Er?  When?!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 12/2/2010 9:47:44 AM   
Timon

Ah Christ, that's my bad. I meant to say "her friend WASN'T completely two faced and bitchy as you'd expect her to be."

Proof-read, Ti, proof-read!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 20
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 12/2/2010 10:04:01 PM   
skeletonjack

Its great to see Disney returning to 2-D animation and The Princess And The Frog is an enjoyable enough tale without ever reaching the heights of The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin or The Lion King. The "scary" scenes were superb and to be honest I wished the Shadow Man had played a larger role. The rest of the film is just ok (and I WISH Disney would stop using Randy Newman!)
Good, not great, but a step back in the right direction. 3 stars

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 12/2/2010 11:00:14 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

The movie should had been nominated instead of Up for Best Pic.

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 22
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 13/2/2010 8:43:41 AM   
Dr Lenera

Well they're both very good, I can see myself watching Princess And The Frog more often, but I think Up is the superior movie.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 23
RE: The Princess And The Frog - 6/4/2010 3:01:52 PM   
goldleader

Watched this the other night and yes it is a return to form for 2D Disney animation.  While it doesn't reach the heights of great Disney films of the 90s it is as others have said a step in the right direction and hope they can build on this for future films.  Not sure what is missing from the film itself the animation is great and all the usually Disney staples are there but for somereason they was just something missing.  It might be the fast pace of the film as events pass by very quick and blink and you will miss the bad guy getting it or a main character.  I guess they were just making a solid movie to start the ball rolling.  I am little upset that it didn't get more martketing here as not many people even knew it came out, used to be a time in the 90s where new Disney films were everywhere you looked around release time.  Im not even sure how it did at the US or UK box office?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 24
- 30/4/2010 9:13:21 PM   
TheGodfather

The Princess And The Frog
The first not-computer animated, not-sequel film from Disney in years and I really liked it. Great songs, good and likeable characters are wrapped in the usual Disney message that didn`t get too preachy. That made it watchable and not too pushy.
Really entertaining little film.

7,8/10

Post #: 25
RE: - 24/6/2010 9:42:54 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Picked this up on Blue Ray to go along with the other Disney gems I have and Ioved it. The film looks stunning, the story is great and the characters are all well developed. Reccomended.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 24/6/2010 9:44:37 PM >

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 24/6/2010 11:01:20 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's decent,but not classic.
The next release is Disney's 50th animation release(i think!).
It will be significant-this did around 250 million dollars in box-office,which in this mad world we live in is classed as disappointing.
My,daughter,an expert in Disney,tells me this is great but not as good as the other films.
Guess that's the crux of it-if you like what went before,you'll like this too.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 29/6/2010 4:54:40 PM   
JIm R

Bought it on DVD upon release last week, had got decent reviews and add it to my Disney Collection, a well delivered film that I felt was heavily influenced by the Jungle Book in it's structure.

Amazing animation and voice work and clearly a step back to Disney of old in terms of delivery, narrative and quality of songs, a far moved film from 'Home on the Range' era.

Welcome back Disney !!

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 28
Good But Doesn't Have The Spark Like The Classics Did. - 10/7/2010 9:53:21 AM   
joanna likes films

You can't deny that Princess And The Frog looks beautiful, especially on Blu-Ray. It shoots out a stunning picture and a great sound as well. It does have a enchanting story with a little twist and it's wonderful to see a drawings Disney than a CGI one all the time. Problem is, I couldn't really feel any spark like the old classics had. The characters are cute but not ones to really root for, the songs arren't toe-tapping and the ending seemed a little rushed. Also it's quite scary for the young, I advise parents to watch this first before letting their children see it. So though it does have a few problems, it's one to check out anyway.

Post #: 29
Cute Princess and Frog - 10/7/2010 8:26:21 PM   
lynnshep

Cute, traditional animated film just like from my childhood.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Princess And The Frog Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI