Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gremlins 3 In 3D? - 25/1/2010 7:16:21 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Umm.... - 25/1/2010 7:16:21 AM   
jobloffski

Gremlins 3D I can take or leave.

But concerning the Ghostbusters 3D reference...

If that happens I would hope it wouldn't be all 3D, and that is could be worked into the plot that the GB's jave to put on special goggles to see enemies properly.

That could be quite cool, with the GB's putting on their goggles the cue for the audience to slip the glasses on.

Then we can have the ooh! and Aaah! gimick moments and be right there with the GBs as it were, with us having to 'interact' with what is going on.

And how to work this into the plot? Whatever dark firce happens to be rising affects the performance of the usual equipment.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/1/2010 7:29:39 AM   
punchdrunk

They should do a pre-quel with Mr Futterman in the War with the Gremlins causing havok to the aircraft Ect, A Young reckless Gizmo learns to become good and rejects the evil ways of his (it's?) kind.

Post #: 3
RE: - 25/1/2010 9:09:11 AM   
jobloffski

Apologies for basically ignoring the topic.

Not sure I'd want to see a totally prequel based 'reboot' and am pretty sure the studio would want to be 'down with the kids' in terms of the setting. Plus period piece = expensive.

However, Gizmo could have flashbacks to a time when there were a lot of Mogwai, and the 'feeding after midnight' happens for the first time, he sees what happens to the others and he legs it, to be rescued by an ancestor of the shop owner from the first movie (we don't know how long they live, why not have them able to basically live forever until Gremmed up).

Then a credit sequence montage featuring gremlin attacks through the ages...bringing us up to modern times, and the previous incidents have been urban myth...

A really, really, really hard proposition to pull off, considering the first did what it did so well. So, I think I might smell an out and out remake in the offing here. As lazy as that might be, it might end up being a hell of a lot better than whatever would have to be done to kick the story off all over again.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 4
RE: Gremlins 3 In 3D? - 25/1/2010 10:07:03 AM   
wirelessjones

I watched the original Gremlins again over Xmas and commented at the time that I couldn't see the movie being any where near as good if it had been made today.  The Gremlins would have been horrible CG, the tone wouldn't have been as fantastically dark and the characters would have been far more of the "OC generation"!  Add into this the 3D element (which as far as I'm concerned just seems to detract from story and character) and I think you got the recipe for a horrible re-make.  Please just leave the fantastic kids movies of the 80s alone and come up with something new!!!

As for Ghostbusters 3, at least that has the original gang involved so should retain much of the original movie's tone and brilliance.  I'm hoping for a Clerks 2 with ghosts in terms of revisiting much loved characters a significant amount of time later and building on what was great about the original.

Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel? They're a little melty but damn are they exquisite

Post #: 5
??? - 25/1/2010 11:34:34 AM   
christofurr

What the hell are you talking about Empire? The sequel was FAR superior to the original! One of the few that are!

Post #: 6
RE: ??? - 25/1/2010 12:10:21 PM   
Sotto Voce

Gremlins is a prime candidate for reviving if you ask me. Either a sequel or remake could work well. A prequel seems poinltessly filddly.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to christofurr)
Post #: 7
Gremlins G20 - 20 Years Later - 25/1/2010 12:32:37 PM   
BenTramer

I find it hard to believe that the studio would do a second sequel 20 years after the last one. All the kids that saw it first time round are adults now, so there's no real kiddie market. It has to be a reboot. If it is, they need to cut out that bloody stupid story Phoebe Cates told about her dad playing Santa and breaking his neck coming down the chimney (they sent that scene up something fierce in the second one!)

Post #: 8
- 25/1/2010 12:50:39 PM   
Companero

Interesting, especially given Dante's most recent film, HOLE, is in 3D and was quite well-received when it played festivals last year. I wouldn't be surprised if this third flick is directed by Dante.

Post #: 9
RE: - 25/1/2010 5:03:04 PM   
mlavagna

Gremlins was a good film and so was Gremlins II The New Batch. I think its deserving of another sequel and there are a whole range of possibilities with regards to story. The fact that this film might be made in 3D does not interest me at all. If I choose to see it in the theatre it will be because it has gotten good reviews, is a genuine and worthy sequel and because I like the nostalgia that comes with it. For me, what makes a good sequel is a film which keeps the qualities, attributes, look, feel, atmosphere, charm, and character of the film/films which preceded it and manages to tell a fresh, new and original story which is interesting, entertaining and if possible, unpredictable. If they do this with Gremlins III i'm sure it'll be both a commercial and critical success with or without 3D effects. What interests me is where the writers will take the ongoing story. Will Billy be in it? Will any of the previous cast be in it? Where will it be set? When will it be set? What's Gizmo been up to since we last saw him? Who's looking after him? Are there any other Mogwais? Perhaps the authorities managed to nab Gizmo away from Billy and the little furball's been confined to a laboratory for a number of years, the test subject of some cruel scientist. Billy's all grown up now and has his own family, his furry pet being an all too distant memory. Cue Gizmos escape! The film almost writes itself!

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 10
Gremlins In London - 25/1/2010 7:38:32 PM   
Adsyboy

I'd like to see them head over to Blighty and run amok in London. Thousands of the little shits crawling up and down Big Ben and annoying the crap out of everyone. In the end America decides to solve the problem by dropping a bomb on the lot of us. Only in a film, like.

Post #: 11
Bright green light - 26/1/2010 2:41:25 PM   
granny

Make Gremlins 3 a full on satirical musical I say and get Parker and Stone to do the songs.
Otherwise Gremlins vs The Howling 3D?

Post #: 12
Gremlins, not 3, 3D? - 26/1/2010 3:35:43 PM   
The Tingler

The rumour could also mean a re-release of the original in 3D, surely? I'd go and see it!

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Gremlins 3 In 3D? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI