Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:56:37 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Well, didn't Ledger's casting come on the back of a hugely impressive performance in Brokeback Mountain? I don't have a problem with Webb per se just that there were more obvious candidates available. i'm sure his film would be quite watchable, as was 500 brackets for no reason Days of Summer, in a low expectation kind of way. The big issue on this is to reboot when there was no apparent need to, other than to reduce costs.

The reason for the reboot is because Raimi and Maguire walked. Thats the official line anyway.

Oh, and the reason for the brackets in the title of (500) Days of Summer is as a tribute to pop albums of the 1980's. Which you would know if you had actually seen the film.

Adam, this is getting tiresome, I have seen the film, I just didn't like it to the degree that you did. Actually I've had enough of this to be honest. You might find it amusing to condescend other forumites but if this keeps up the thread is going to be locked, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that, okay?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 91
- 20/1/2010 3:58:54 PM   
darko18

If it is mostly set in high school, that could nicely set up Dr. Curt Connors aka the Lizard, Peter's biology teacher, as the villain.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
RE: - 20/1/2010 3:59:57 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: darko18

If it is mostly set in high school, that could nicely set up Dr. Curt Connors aka the Lizard, Peter's biology teacher, as the villain.

Yeah, well Raimi set that up for 3 fucking films and still didn't introduce him

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 93
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:02:09 PM   
Deviation

Personally I think that would be great. I always wanted to see Lizard in the Spidey films. Maybe intreoduce Venom and Carnage decently this time too.

And Adam and HM can you end this please?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 94
RE: - 20/1/2010 4:02:57 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

They just had three bloody movies to do that, poor ole Dylan Baker, I bet he was hoping it was his turn to step up as the villian at last with Number 4.

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 95
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 4:04:18 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, didn't Ledger's casting come on the back of a hugely impressive performance in Brokeback Mountain? I don't have a problem with Webb per se just that there were more obvious candidates available. i'm sure his film would be quite watchable, as was 500 brackets for no reason Days of Summer, in a low expectation kind of way. The big issue on this is to reboot when there was no apparent need to, other than to reduce costs.

The reason for the reboot is because Raimi and Maguire walked. Thats the official line anyway.

Oh, and the reason for the brackets in the title of (500) Days of Summer is as a tribute to pop albums of the 1980's. Which you would know if you had actually seen the film.

Adam, this is getting tiresome, I have seen the film, I just didn't like it to the degree that you did. Actually I've had enough of this to be honest. You might find it amusing to condescend other forumites but if this keeps up the thread is going to be locked, so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that, okay?

I was correcting your remark about the brackets. I dont see how thats condescending. Granted that last line was out of order but I apologised for that in my previous comment, where I offered you this - as a way of drawing a line under this whole situation. Again, I apologise. Lets move on.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 20/1/2010 4:05:22 PM >

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:04:21 PM   
The Hooded Man

I'm not sure Raimi ever planned on using him other than to familiarise us with the character and add layers to the universe, maybe for a future director like Marc Webb to take over and create a legacy, but the daft decision to reboot renders all that moot.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 97
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:06:03 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

quote:

They just had three bloody movies to do that, poor ole Dylan Baker, I bet he was hoping it was his turn to step up as the villian at last with Number 4.

My first thought was of poor Dylan Baker. Who knows tho, if its a Hulk type reboot they may keep him on.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 98
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:08:22 PM   
shool

I couldnt care less really. The previous Spiderman films were ok, very good and very poor in that order but none of them were truly great.

If the reboot looks good I'll go see it, if it looks poor and gets poor reviews I wont bother.

Either way I dont feel strongly enough about the originals to be bothered either way. Who knows? Webb might do an amazing Job. People fear change.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 99
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:13:26 PM   
The Hooded Man

If this was Part 4 with Webb directing there wouldn't really be a problem, it just looks like the studio want to make Peter a teen to cash in on the whole Twilight craze. For all the negativity about Webb at least he's shown he can make a film that's character driven and won't do a Louis Leterrier and make almost 2 hours of rubbish action for the sake of it.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 100
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:18:59 PM   
richCie

I don't really get all the Twilight references - younger cast is sensible marketing for a comic book movie isnt it?
and the budget worries - *cough* District 9 *cough* - it can be done guys it can be done.
I'm still not particularly looking forward to this film - I'd prefer Webb did something original to be honest.
Least a talented director has been hired.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 101
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 4:19:48 PM   
shool

So if it looks like that dont go and see it problem solved.

I wasnt that bothered about a 4th spiderman film in any guise.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 102
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 4:19:55 PM   
hatebox

Looking around various sites and blogs, the raction to the direction of the franchise is mostly negative as far as I can see. For me the question is whether Sony, one of the most interfering studios ever, hired Webb as someone they can control, or whether they hired their 'Nolan' - someone who'll auteur the film himself. Given how the studio derailed the franchise in the first place, I'm gunning for the first option.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 103
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 4:39:12 PM   
The Hooded Man

I'm wondering if they are taking a more hands-on approach now they've lost the equally lucrative Bond franchise. Time will tell, but there were no suggestions of studio interference on the first two Spider-Man films and before part 3 was released Raimi was telling everyone how brilliant the film was, the interference stories surfaced after the negative reviews. I'm not upset that Raimi isn't directing but I am dubious about the whole reboot angle.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 104
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 5:35:14 PM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Looking around various sites and blogs, the raction to the direction of the franchise is mostly negative as far as I can see. For me the question is whether Sony, one of the most interfering studios ever, hired Webb as someone they can control, or whether they hired their 'Nolan' - someone who'll auteur the film himself. Given how the studio derailed the franchise in the first place, I'm gunning for the first option.

Very good point, but I don't think we'll find out until it's released.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 105
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 6:20:40 PM   
The Todge

quote:

If this was Part 4 with Webb directing there wouldn't really be a problem, it just looks like the studio want to make Peter a teen to cash in on the whole Twilight craze. For all the negativity about Webb at least he's shown he can make a film that's character driven and won't do a Louis Leterrier and make almost 2 hours of rubbish action for the sake of it.

If one more person mentions Twilight I'm gonna fucking scream.

Peter Parker was a teenager long before Twilight was even a glint in Stephanie Meyer's withered eye.

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 106
Damn you Sony and Marvel! - 20/1/2010 6:42:09 PM   
dgribble

What's the point in paying to see a movie you already saw 7 or 8 years ago, why does Marvel keep continuely rebooting their movies...you are not Chritopher Nolan deal with it.
This movie will suck, good luck on wasting your cash on the same old crap.

Post #: 107
terrible - 20/1/2010 6:56:39 PM   
elsquig

this is all bad news. Watched 500 days the other night and it was f#cking awful! Even the missus hated it. This is gonna be pure ballz of this I have no doubt. They are killing all our heroes people,and we are letting them. I loved all the marvel ultimate reboots except the spidey 1.confident wisecracking spidey is the way to go, the whole wallflower thing is boring. I wonder if they are gonna have ol webhead singing and dancing and getting on like a proper little teenybopping pansey? This is gonna stink. 500 days was boring and pointless, since when did boring become cool?that Juno was shite too but people think they are arty and cool I don't get it,thank Christ!

Post #: 108
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 7:24:46 PM   
darko18

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

quote:

If one more person mentions Twilight I'm gonna fucking scream.

Peter Parker was a teenager long before Twilight was even a glint in Stephanie Meyer's vampire lore-raping, Mormon propaganda-spewing withered eye.

Fixed.

Leterrier's Hulk didn't suffer such a horrific backlash after Lee's Hulk. Maybe because Raimi's Spidey flicks were pretty much an established franchise. Hmmm.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 109
RE: Well then... - 20/1/2010 7:34:18 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Clearly the studio and producers have no interest in presenting Spiderman in the view of contuning the work of Raimi or the character's comic roots, merely to squeeze every last $ out of a franchise that as has been said, should have been laid to rest if the decision not to continue with Raimi had been taken.

Yeah cancel a billion dollar franchise because you lose a director.

Ya know just once, for a change, it;d be great to read apost from you that actually acknoweldge's Rami's faults with Spider-Man instead of you bleating endlessly about how he's not involved and how he's so great, get over it.  He fucked up big time and was gonna fuck up even more with his insane villain choices.

The budget means jack shit people, all this means is that the focus will be on character, be restricted to probably one villain who doesn't require huge amounts of CGI to create.  Something lower key, practical and exciting.

Sorry todge, didn't you know I was Raimi's agent

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 110
- 20/1/2010 7:45:51 PM   
John Firth

Whilst I'm still not convinced this is a good idea, hopefully they actually call it Ultimate Spider-Man. I really like Ultimate Spider-Man (and Ultimate X-Men), and there's plenty of good source material to choose from. They just have to make clear that this is set in a different universe to the Raimi films, and is completely unrelated to them.

Post #: 111
Rebooting The Spider - 20/1/2010 8:15:01 PM   
BenTramer

This Marc Webb guy ain't no Sam Raimi and if they hire that Pattinson bloke from Twilight as Peter Parker, it's going to be a load of shite as he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. The studio should have followed the old rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Post #: 112
RE: Rebooting The Spider - 20/1/2010 8:27:30 PM   
captainrentboy

I really can't see them hiring Pattison, not in a million years. The backlash for the announcements so far have been bad enough, the geek world would explode with fury if hiring him was the next step in the reboot.....
Then again since when did Paramount, Fox or Sony give a shit what the fans want?
I think they'll go with a fairly unknown guy, especially if they're working on an 80 million budget.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 113
RE: Rebooting The Spider - 20/1/2010 8:52:38 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

This Marc Webb guy ain't no Sam Raimi and if they hire that Pattinson bloke from Twilight as Peter Parker, it's going to be a load of shite as he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. The studio should have followed the old rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Why on Earth are you talking about Robert Pattinson?! If they employed Christopher Lee to play Parker it wouldn't be very good either. Im sorry, are we just throwing out there random names of people that would make terrible Peter Parker's, because if not I havent got a clue what you are going on about.

Do you genuinely believe that Spider-Man 3 was a sign of the way forward (as per your comment "If it ain't broke, don't fix it:)?

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 114
- 20/1/2010 10:07:01 PM   
rezapocmk3

I wanted SAM RAIMI'S Spiderman 4, as did everyone else that i've spoken to since the news of his departure broke and to me this sounds like an extention of every frustrating aspect of the first one as I'm fed up of teenage anst films.

Post #: 115
RE: Rebooting The Spider - 20/1/2010 10:09:53 PM   
Rain Dog

I for one am happy enough with the choice of director. Let's face it, it could have been worse (Brett Ratner!!)

But my worry now is, who can they have as the villain? It's one thing having a new Spidey but they couldn't have him facing a new Goblin already. And I doubt it would be Doc Ock. So who's left? Lizard would be cool. And I suppose the vulture could still be a possibility although I hope not. And I hope to God that they don't try to set up a new intro for Venom, haven't liked that drooling cliche since I was fourteen.

Post #: 116
RE: - 20/1/2010 10:24:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: rezapocmk3

I wanted SAM RAIMI'S Spiderman 4, as did everyone else that i've spoken to since the news of his departure broke and to me this sounds like an extention of every frustrating aspect of the first one as I'm fed up of teenage anst films.

Would you rather see Spider-Man- The Middle Age Years, complete with Spidey-Baby? Spider-Man is the tale of a teenager. Thats one of the main reasons that he has achieved universal success; because he's a normal teenager like the kids who read the book. They can relate to him. He was never meant to be old, instead remaining the same age for a new generation to take on.

(in reply to rezapocmk3)
Post #: 117
- 20/1/2010 10:33:25 PM   
jimoakley666

Okay. But... WHY? Really? Was it needed? No. Frankly. The ONLY reason I would want to see a Spider-man reboot is to fold it in with Marvel's movies such as Iron Man, Hulk and Thor. But to be honest, Raimi's universe could've done that anyway.

Post #: 118
High School Webslinger. - 20/1/2010 10:38:41 PM   
arronskie

I can just imagine a load of execs sitting round a table asking`Who`s hot right now to play Peter Parker aka Spiderman?`
`Zac Effron!!`
`Yeah!The kids love him!!`
`Mary Jane?`
`That girl from Twilight...whatshername....`
`Yeah great!!!`
`Get their agents on the phone and set up a meeting!`
You all know the rest.

Post #: 119
RE: RE: - 20/1/2010 11:02:31 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rezapocmk3

Would you rather see Spider-Man- The Middle Age Years, complete with Spidey-Baby? Spider-Man is the tale of a teenager. Thats one of the main reasons that he has achieved universal success; because he's a normal teenager like the kids who read the book. They can relate to him. He was never meant to be old, instead remaining the same age for a new generation to take on.

There's been years of successful Spider-Man stories featuring him as a young adult over the past 25 years that haven't been set in High School, it's as much as a story as the High School stuff which is what the Ultimate series is about. Spider-Man doesn't have to be set in a high school to work, hell he's been out of school for decades now and his struggles as a husband to Mary Jane, being a superhero and holding down a full time job have been among the most compelling parts of the lore. Nobody's calling for middle-aged Spider-Man just not a variation of what we've already seen just to keep costs down.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI