Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: It'll be Twilight for Spidey fans

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: It'll be Twilight for Spidey fans Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: It'll be Twilight for Spidey fans - 20/1/2010 1:01:04 PM   
The Hooded Man

The biggest issue is the decision to go backwards, we've already had the high school years, so why not just recast and go with a new adventure like the Bond films used to? Especially when the origin film was made in 2002.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 61
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 1:19:45 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Why do 90% of the posters in here automatically presume that its going to fail?

It's not that I think it'll fail, it's just not one of the announcements made regarding this film have been remotely exciting, in my opinion of course. Therefore at the moment my anticipation for this flick is zero.
- Raimi no more, sure the third movie messed things up, but he had a good eye for exciting action sequences and the larger budget led to some fantastic sequences throughout the trilogy.
- 80 million budget. (Which is what Empire are reporting, so that's all I can go by for now) Pretty low for what should be a huge picture.
- Webb as a director, nothing he's done has thrilled me so far, so why would I be overly positive regarding the fact that he's been given such a huge IP?
- Back to high school again for Spidey's origins. Even though we went through all of it, in movie world, less than 10 yrs ago.
- One thing we don't need in Spidey films is more angst or teeny drama, (If you add up all the crying and moping about from the first three it's probably 25% of the total running time) yet this is what Empire believe they're aiming for. Paramount's announcement of more heart, anxiety and teenage recklessness doesn't exactly fill me with hope at getting an action packed comic blockbuster.
- James Vanderbilt is writing the story, a quick look on IMDB would reveal that other than Zodiac he hasn't really done much worthwhile.

So yeah, should they get the casting spot on or something else positive is announced my hopes for the flick will rise. Until then I've just got to wait and see.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 62
RE: Well then... - 20/1/2010 2:10:35 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Clearly the studio and producers have no interest in presenting Spiderman in the view of contuning the work of Raimi or the character's comic roots, merely to squeeze every last $ out of a franchise that as has been said, should have been laid to rest if the decision not to continue with Raimi had been taken.

Yeah cancel a billion dollar franchise because you lose a director.

Ya know just once, for a change, it;d be great to read apost from you that actually acknoweldge's Rami's faults with Spider-Man instead of you bleating endlessly about how he's not involved and how he's so great, get over it.  He fucked up big time and was gonna fuck up even more with his insane villain choices.

The budget means jack shit people, all this means is that the focus will be on character, be restricted to probably one villain who doesn't require huge amounts of CGI to create.  Something lower key, practical and exciting.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 63
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:10:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

quote:

It's not that I think it'll fail, it's just not one of the announcements made regarding this film have been remotely exciting, in my opinion of course. Therefore at the moment my anticipation for this flick is zero.
- Raimi no more, sure the third movie messed things up, but he had a good eye for exciting action sequences and the larger budget led to some fantastic sequences throughout the trilogy.
- 80 million budget. (Which is what Empire are reporting, so that's all I can go by for now) Pretty low for what should be a huge picture.
- Webb as a director, nothing he's done has thrilled me so far, so why would I be overly positive regarding the fact that he's been given such a huge IP?
- Back to high school again for Spidey's origins. Even though we went through all of it, in movie world, less than 10 yrs ago.
- One thing we don't need in Spidey films is more angst or teeny drama, (If you add up all the crying and moping about from the first three it's probably 25% of the total running time) yet this is what Empire believe they're aiming for. Paramount's announcement of more heart, anxiety and teenage recklessness doesn't exactly fill me with hope at getting an action packed comic blockbuster.
- James Vanderbilt is writing the story, a quick look on IMDB would reveal that other than Zodiac he hasn't really done much worthwhile.

So yeah, should they get the casting spot on or something else positive is announced my hopes for the flick will rise. Until then I've just got to wait and see.

So a director who scores a Grammy (and most likely Oscar) nomination for his debut film, a film which is highly lauded by many isn't a good enough reason to give him a shot at something big? Michael Bay has an eye for action, should we give him a shot? The problem with Raimi is that he can't do complex.

How many writers produce a screenplay as good as Zodiac in an entire career? Based on that alone, I think we're lucky to have such a writer on board for what many are simply assuming is a hokey-teen flick. Welcome to the Jungle is great too. Lets remember that the script for the first Spider-Man film was written by the luminary that brought us The Lost World, Snake Eyes and went on to write the "script" for the fourth Indy flick.

The talent thus far attached to this picture is positive.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 20/1/2010 2:11:25 PM >

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 64
RE: Well then... - 20/1/2010 2:12:21 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

quote:

Clearly the studio and producers have no interest in presenting Spiderman in the view of contuning the work of Raimi or the character's comic roots, merely to squeeze every last $ out of a franchise that as has been said, should have been laid to rest if the decision not to continue with Raimi had been taken.

Ya know just once, for a change, it;d be great to read apost from you that actually acknoweldge's Rami's faults with Spider-Man instead of you bleating endlessly about how he's not involved and how he's so great, get over it.  He fucked up big time and was gonna fuck up even more with his insane villain choices.

The budget means jack shit people, all this means is that the focus will be on character, be restricted to probably one villain who doesn't require huge amounts of CGI to create.  Something lower key, practical and exciting.

Sir, I applaud thee. It was getting lonely in here, being the sole voice of reason.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 65
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:26:26 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

So a director who scores a Grammy (and most likely Oscar) nomination for his debut film, a film which is highly lauded by many isn't a good enough reason to give him a shot at something big? Michael Bay has an eye for action, should we give him a shot? The problem with Raimi is that he can't do complex.

How many writers produce a screenplay as good as Zodiac in an entire career? Based on that alone, I think we're lucky to have such a writer on board for what many are simply assuming is a hokey-teen flick. Welcome to the Jungle is great too. Lets remember that the script for the first Spider-Man film was written by the luminary that brought us The Lost World, Snake Eyes and went on to write the "script" for the fourth Indy flick.

The talent thus far attached to this picture is positive.

What's the deal with certain posters on here (Normally the ones with thousands under their belts) thinking their opinion is the be all and end all of opinions, usually stating their beliefs as cast iron FACT.
I couldn't give two hoots what nominations (500) Days Of Summer got, the fact that you adored the movie also has no effect on my own opinion. I thought it was of slightly higher quality than the usual romantic tosh that comes out of Hollywood but nothing utterly spectacular. ''Ohh it had a quirky narrative structure and a song and dance number in the middle'' Big deal! Therefore Webb as a director hasn't proven himself to me yet, that's all I'm saying. Just accept that not everyone feels the same about certain movie related matters as you, sure throw your opinion in and then try to move on.

Yes Zodiac was good, but let's face it the writer had a wealth of real life material to get his story from and David Fincher directing it, it would've been difficult to screw it up too badly.

Post #: 66
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:34:16 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

What's the deal with certain posters on here (Normally the ones with thousands under their belts) thinking their opinion is the be all and end all of opinions, usually stating their beliefs as cast iron FACT.
I couldn't give two hoots what nominations (500) Days Of Summer got, the fact that you adored the movie also has no effect on my own opinion. I thought it was of slightly higher quality than the usual romantic tosh that comes out of Hollywood but nothing utterly spectacular. ''Ohh it had a quirky narrative structure and a song and dance number in the middle'' Big deal! Therefore Webb as a director hasn't proven himself to me yet, that's all I'm saying. Just accept that not everyone feels the same about certain movie related matters as you, sure throw your opinion in and then try to move on.

Yes Zodiac was good, but let's face it the writer had a wealth of real life material to get his story from and David Fincher directing it, it would've been difficult to screw it up too badly.

No need to get upset kiddo.

I simply presented a number of facts, yes facts backing up my reasoning as to why the creative team behind this film was good. I didn't present opinion, just simple fact. You are the one whose view is tarnished by opinion.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 67
RE: Well then... - 20/1/2010 2:40:10 PM   
The Todge

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

quote:

Sir, I applaud thee. It was getting lonely in here, being the sole voice of reason.

A pleasure!  I know what you mean.  We are a dying breed.

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 68
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:48:27 PM   
My name is Legion

quote:

quote:

I simply presented a number of facts, yes facts backing up my reasoning as to why the creative team behind this film was good. I didn't present opinion, just simple fact. You are the one whose view is tarnished by opinion.

Facts?  You said he got a Grammy nomination you div.

What a pompous wanker.

Post #: 69
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:52:29 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: My name is Legion

quote:

quote:

Facts?  You said he got a Grammy nomination you div.

What a pompous wanker.

Sorry I meant Globe. That that is the one point you can pull me on, and in such a lyrical manner says much. As does the word "div" about the extent to which your vocabulary reaches.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 20/1/2010 2:53:40 PM >

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 70
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 2:57:29 PM   
shool

Ok keep the personal insults out guys and...

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 71
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:04:35 PM   
My name is Legion

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

[image]http://www.broken-fish.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/stay-on-topic.jpg[/image]

Apologies.  I just dislike the condescending tone some "Fanboys" use when others have differing opinions.

Anyway, I'm off.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 72
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:08:30 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: My name is Legion

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

[image]http://www.broken-fish.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/stay-on-topic.jpg[/image]

Apologies.  I just dislike the condescending tone some "Fanboys" use when others have differing opinions.

Anyway, I'm off.

Ha, Fanboy?! Its the fanboys that are decrying the end of civilisation as we know it over this!

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 73
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:21:40 PM   
tftrman

Every director has to start somewhere for christ's sake. How would any director make a name for themselves if producers weren't going to occasionally take a chance.

Ridley Scott wasn't a big name when he made Alien.
James Cameron wasn't a big name when he made Terminator.
Neil Blomkamp wasn't a big name when he made District 9.

Can people show a bit of restraint and wait to see what he does with the franchise? If he fucks it up Sony will reboot again within a year and you can all forget about it.

Post #: 74
- 20/1/2010 3:24:13 PM   
nodierock

Great director but a total reboot is just such a rubbish idea.... and for that reason.... I'm out.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 75
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:27:04 PM   
The Hooded Man

Adam you seem to be taking criticism of Days of Summer a bit to heart, you didn't make it by any chance?

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 76
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:31:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Wasn't The Duellists something of a great critical success and acclaimed for the visuals? Not that bizarre choice for Alien.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 77
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:34:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Adam you seem to be taking criticism of Days of Summer a bit to heart, you didn't make it by any chance?

The whole "Webb isn't fit for this" is reminiscent of the Joker/Ledger scenario we had a few years ago.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 78
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:35:04 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Wasn't The Duellists something of a great critical success and acclaimed for the visuals? Not that bizarre choice for Alien.

(500) Days Of Summer was a critical success and acclaimed for it's innovative storytelling.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 79
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:40:00 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I havent taken any criticism to heart. Don't try to condescend me.

Post #: 80
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:44:23 PM   
TheSpleen

Probably going to get told to mind my own business but you both have valid opinions, they just both happen to be different. Can't we all just get along? New years resolution normally i'd join in. Pleeeaase.

Post #: 81
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:45:02 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

(500) Days Of Summer was a critical success and acclaimed for it's innovative storytelling.

I know. I was taking that particular point about Ridley Scott, hence the off topic smiley.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 82
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:46:20 PM   
The Hooded Man

Well, didn't Ledger's casting come on the back of a hugely impressive performance in Brokeback Mountain? I don't have a problem with Webb per se just that there were more obvious candidates available. i'm sure his film would be quite watchable, as was 500 brackets for no reason Days of Summer, in a low expectation kind of way. The big issue on this is to reboot when there was no apparent need to, other than to reduce costs.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 83
Cashing in on Twilight = Bad times.... - 20/1/2010 3:47:35 PM   
peopleunderthestairs

I bet the studio are pushing for this after looking at what Twilight pulled in.

Twiderman, Twiderman....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 84
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:48:09 PM   
The Hooded Man

Sorry Adam, your supercilious nature must be rubbing off on me. Bygones?

Post #: 85
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:48:41 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

Every director has to start somewhere for christ's sake. How would any director make a name for themselves if producers weren't going to occasionally take a chance.

James Cameron wasn't a big name when he made Terminator.
Neil Blomkamp wasn't a big name when he made District 9.

Can people show a bit of restraint and wait to see what he does with the franchise? If he fucks it up Sony will reboot again within a year and you can all forget about it.

Yeah that's true, so I'm going to chill out on the moaning front as I'm starting to sound like an AICN poster

Alllllthoooough James Cameron is really into the whole sci-fi thing, stating himself that he's read hundreds of comics and books on the genre, so the move into directing The Terminator film wasn't too much of a stretch as it was all based, mainly, on his own ideas and visions. Same with Blomkamp, he'd shown some considerble talent with his minscule budgeted sci-fi shorts before District 9, so it just seemed like the next logical step making that flick.
It's just nice to have a director who's interested in the subject matter of which their new film is based, especially when it comes to comic book adaptations, as they get a lot more passionate about keeping it true to its roots. Then again for all I know Webb could freakin' love the Spider-Man comics and stories.

I'll wait until casting begins or other big news hits before I speak negatively/positively on the film again.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 86
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:49:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Well, didn't Ledger's casting come on the back of a hugely impressive performance in Brokeback Mountain? I don't have a problem with Webb per se just that there were more obvious candidates available. i'm sure his film would be quite watchable, as was 500 brackets for no reason Days of Summer, in a low expectation kind of way. The big issue on this is to reboot when there was no apparent need to, other than to reduce costs.

The reason for the reboot is because Raimi and Maguire walked. Thats the official line anyway.

Oh, and the reason for the brackets in the title of (500) Days of Summer is as a tribute to pop albums of the 1980's. Which you would know if you had actually seen the film.

Post #: 87
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:51:33 PM   
Deviation

quote:

an
quote:

That I will definitely agree.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 88
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:52:45 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Sorry Adam, your supercilious nature must be rubbing off on me. Bygones?

For sure, although I did just post a negativity about you in a post before I saw this!

Apologies for any offence caused this afternoon.

Post #: 89
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 3:56:23 PM   
tftrman

quote:

I know. I was taking that particular point about Ridley Scott, hence the off topic smiley.

I hope I didn't come across as arsey in that last post. I like you Dev, that's why I'm going to kill you last.

< Message edited by tftrman -- 20/1/2010 3:58:34 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: It'll be Twilight for Spidey fans Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI