Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

With great power...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> With great power... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
With great power... - 20/1/2010 10:30:35 AM   
Seamie

I was gutted to hear that Spider-Man was to be rebooted again. Then I heard that Mark Webb was taking the reigns and I thought he’d give it a good shot and tackle the angst but also the humour of Parker quite well. But now I’ve read this and my heart sank....Do we really want to go back to high school and (probably) spend two movies of him trying to hide his powers from the rest of his classmates?? It sounds like a TV version of Spider-Man to me:( I thought the origin was dealt with quite well almost 10 years ago and I was hoping this movie would have a brief flashback sequence to show us how Parker became Spider-Man (a bit like The Incredible Hulk) but now it seems that what we’ll have is a teen dramedy of sorts:( Also, an 80 million budget?? This is one of Sony’s/Marvel’s biggest earners why scrimp on the budget?? Even Thor has more bazillions than this doesn’t it??!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Well then... - 20/1/2010 10:31:13 AM   
JIm R

Clearly the studio and producers have no interest in presenting Spiderman in the view of contuning the work of Raimi or the character's comic roots, merely to squeeze every last $ out of a franchise that as has been said, should have been laid to rest if the decision not to continue with Raimi had been taken.

(in reply to cliff126)
Post #: 32
RE: With great power... - 20/1/2010 10:36:03 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seamie

I was gutted to hear that Spider-Man was to be rebooted again. Then I heard that Mark Webb was taking the reigns and I thought he’d give it a good shot and tackle the angst but also the humour of Parker quite well. But now I’ve read this and my heart sank....Do we really want to go back to high school and (probably) spend two movies of him trying to hide his powers from the rest of his classmates?? It sounds like a TV version of Spider-Man to me:( I thought the origin was dealt with quite well almost 10 years ago and I was hoping this movie would have a brief flashback sequence to show us how Parker became Spider-Man (a bit like The Incredible Hulk) but now it seems that what we’ll have is a teen dramedy of sorts:( Also, an 80 million budget?? This is one of Sony’s/Marvel’s biggest earners why scrimp on the budget?? Even Thor has more bazillions than this doesn’t it??!

I think two factors are at play here on the budget size, 1) Spiderman 4's pre-production costs only for it to be withdrawn would have been pretty extensive 2) Sony will had to have paid off Raimi & Maguire and Dunst from their contracts, which would have been v expensive, hence you have the scaling back, plus a director with the clout or experience of Webb comes cheaper, which is why he was chosen, so Sony can dictate their 'vision' to him and not have the director bring his own ideas to the table, something which Raimi would not back down on.

(in reply to Seamie)
Post #: 33
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 10:45:14 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Not seen 500 Days of Summer, but his recent video for Green Day (21st Century Breakdown) was pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/user/greendayblend=1&ob=4#p/a/u/0/D4ZKlT1EvCA
Going to give him a chance!

Post #: 34
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 10:46:26 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Not seen 500 Days of Summer, but his recent video for Green Day (21st Century Breakdown) was pretty cool

Post #: 35
RE: With great power... - 20/1/2010 10:47:08 AM   
jobloffski

No studio would stop making Spiderman films under the circumstances that have occurred. Only financial failure leads to deicisions to can franchises. And given the recent success of films that reboot franchises, initially outraging die hards who see reboots as some kind of betrayal, and the success of the hiring of directors with no proven track record in helming blockbusters (both Nolan and JJ Abrams had some fanboys going mental), Sony no doubt see what is happening now as a calaculated risk.

And lets not forget no matter what angle a new franchise director takes, he will always be applying his own sensibilities to a formula. So if the tone can be gotten right, if the story direction is strong enough...etc.

I doubt even Sony want a spidey film that provokes comments like Twilight has, such as boring as fuck unless you're an adolescent girl (physically or mentally) who equates bad boy cliches with the sex you have not yet had.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Seamie)
Post #: 36
RE: With great power... - 20/1/2010 10:48:57 AM   
ravagee

I really hope we don't see tweeny version of Spider-man, don't think I could handle that. I haven't actually seen 500 Days of Summer so I can't really comment on Webb's technique but maybe if he's teamed up with the right producers this can actually turn out to be a half-decent flick?

The only thing that bothers me about the reboot is that James Franco is no longer going to be in the series, and let's face it, he was awesome.

I'd like to see Aaron Johnson for Parker and Anna Kendrick for MJ if we're going back to the highschool years. I reckon those two could pull it off.

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

If I peed my pants would you pretend that I just got wet from the rain?

(in reply to Seamie)
Post #: 37
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 10:49:32 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Post #: 38
Wipe the slate clean - 20/1/2010 10:53:56 AM   
Workshed

Bring it on. I'm glad Raimi has been freed up to other projects now, especially after the brilliant Drag Me To Hell. I think he took the 3 picture story arc as far as it could interestingly could go and the 3rd was a disappointment.

Haven't seen any of Webb's work but I'm sure this will be decent.

The budget being $80m seems promising to me as budgetary constraints usually equate to more inginuity and ideas rather than being overly reliant on weightless, OTT CGI that all too often stands in for story and character development.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 39
irons - 20/1/2010 10:56:55 AM   
Irons

This is the most tasteless move from a studio ever. ANd watch out, because next up is a reboot of Batman, with Andy Tennant taking over from Nolan, for a more family-friendly take on the dark knight...

That word is not suitable here, Irons. -- PA.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 20/1/2010 12:49:10 PM >

Post #: 40
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 10:57:04 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Post #: 41
RE: With great power... - 20/1/2010 10:58:49 AM   
jobloffski

Just to remind people, though, S1 started in high school and raced out there as fast as it could, had to set up college stuff and bad guy stuff, also using screen time to create an 'emotional connection' between spdey and goblin. The 'spidey discovers how to use his powers' was mainly dealt with in a sequence taking up a few minutes. And by focusing on doing things in that order, the showdown stuff felt flat

A consistent background setting/locations and a more 'organic' development of plotline in tandem with the discovery of the use of powers, maybe some fear from spidey about whether he can take the baddie down, etc might lead to a film that is a more cohesive whole and not lead to scenarios where the bad guy always has to be someone with such a personal tie in to Peter's life that the whole baddie/goodie dynamic gets blurred and screentime has to be used to have peter feel the emotional effect of fighting his enemies.

Fingers crossed. Fence sitting is a wonderful thing

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to ravagee)
Post #: 42
Sounds like Spidey for the Twilight fanbase.... - 20/1/2010 11:08:44 AM   
partybee

....drag.

Post #: 43
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 11:17:18 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Post #: 44
RE: Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 11:20:09 AM   
captainrentboy

It would appear Mr Webb has joined us under the name Arkety Hodge

(in reply to Arkety Hodge)
Post #: 45
RE: Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 11:21:12 AM   
TheSpleen

His name could be Alan Smithee before the films out.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 46
RE: With great power... - 20/1/2010 11:31:06 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

No studio would stop making Spiderman films under the circumstances that have occurred. Only financial failure leads to deicisions to can franchises. And given the recent success of films that reboot franchises, initially outraging die hards who see reboots as some kind of betrayal, and the success of the hiring of directors with no proven track record in helming blockbusters (both Nolan and JJ Abrams had some fanboys going mental), Sony no doubt see what is happening now as a calaculated risk.

I have to disagree with this, as the vast majority of fans were behind these 2 directors - especially Nolan.Well, at least until he revealed his bad guys weren't going to wear costumes.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 20/1/2010 11:32:42 AM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 47
Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 11:37:31 AM   
Arkety Hodge

Post #: 48
High School Spiderman...? - 20/1/2010 11:55:01 AM   
peopleunderthestairs

Not the right approach IMO. Spiderman films are tentpole big action films so why strip the budget right back and go with a director who has no experience doing action??! Thats just nuts!

If this is the way there going anyway Mr Webb will really have to turn me around with whatever plot they come up with, I mean Peter Parker back at school?? It's only been 8-9 years since the first one, we've already been through the teen angst spidey, the spidey who can't have the high school sweetheart etc etc.
If its a re-boot it needs a totally different slant. Start with him at the bugle maybe, make him single but already with his powers and Webb can just make it his way from there....

Post #: 49
Feeling Optimistic. - 20/1/2010 12:05:44 PM   
jamesenscene

In my opinion Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire were the worst things about the Spiderman trilogy. Let's hope Webb does a better job of my favourite childhood superhero than Raimi did (he ruined it for me.). Here's to optimism!

Post #: 50
RE: Marc Webb - 20/1/2010 12:17:47 PM   
My name is Legion

Arkety Hodge, could you post that again please?  You know, just to clarify, as we all need to read the same shit over and over again to get your fucking point.

(in reply to Arkety Hodge)
Post #: 51
- 20/1/2010 12:30:20 PM   
62Parker

i'd absolutely love it if he only got the job cos a sony executive saw his surname on the (500) days of summer poster.

Post #: 52
Brian M Bendis - 20/1/2010 12:30:27 PM   
sowasred2012

Can someone let him write this movie, please?

Post #: 53
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 12:38:51 PM   
adambatman82

Jesus, whats with all the pathetic whinging? Where are these figures suggesting the budget is lower than any of the previous flicks? Why is it automatically presumed the Webb cannot direct a film of this scale? Why do 90% of the posters in here automatically presume that its going to fail?

From a creative standpoint Raimi messed up with Spidey 3. Even as someone who enjoyed it, and is a fairly big fan of Raimi himself I can admit that. I dont buy the idea that it was the studio forcing Raimi's hand with Spidey 3. Granted, some influence may have taken place, but if Raimi really was the God-like force that most of you deem him to be then surely he could have stood his ground, nay SHOULD have stood his ground when it came to alledged decisions being implented (for the record, outside of internet heresay I have never seen evidence of Sony implementing certain characters into S3).

The Spider-Man franchise was dead, heres a chance for it to be kicked into life again. Teenagers and school doesnt automatically equal terrible by the way. Heathers, Dazed and Confused, Brick, Friday Night Lights, RUSHMORE, Donnie Darko, Election and most of John Hughes films are all set in High School's starring teenagers.

Perspective guys, lets have a little, instead of turning into a bunch of pastiches.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 20/1/2010 12:51:23 PM >

Post #: 54
End of spiderman - 20/1/2010 12:41:44 PM   
Jubby

This is the end for spiderman! 80m shocking with a director that no one really wanted this will be a train reck

Post #: 55
RE: End of spiderman - 20/1/2010 12:51:09 PM   
kumar

Will this film highlight the struggles of Parker learning about his powers and trying to manage doing his homework?

What the fook is wrong with the other 3 spidermen films for them to start from the beginning and set it in school again? AND scale it down- which im guessing means less shots of spiderman swinging through tower blocks which i thought was great. Sony are a bunch of tools as Snake Eyes said "to hell with this!"

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Jubby)
Post #: 56
RE: Marc Webb Directing New Spider-Trilogy - 20/1/2010 12:54:59 PM   
SpaceLion

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Perspective guys, lets have a little, instead of turning into a bunch of pastiches.

Nice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesenscene

In my opinion Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire were the worst things about the Spiderman trilogy. Let's hope Webb does a better job of my favourite childhood superhero than Raimi did (he ruined it for me.). Here's to optimism!

Ditto.

Spider-Man 3 sucked. I am a huge Spidey fan and I enjoyed the first two films, but I still felt that they could have been better. Personally, I don't think Raimi was the right person for the job. The character development in all three felt rushed and somewhat shallow. The relationship between Peter and MJ felt so phony to me - there was no substance to it whatsoever. And as for casting that doe-eyed Maguire and charmless Dunst as Peter and MJ, wtf?? While I have enjoyed both actors' performances in other roles, Maguire has no on-screen presence and sleep-walked his way through the movies for the most part. Dunst's MJ also felt too subdued - what happened to the party girl persona? All the villains were generally well-cast except for Topher Grace as Eddie Brock (who else thinks Topher would have made the perfect Peter Parker? He had the snarky comments down pat.)

As someone else said, get Brian Michael Bendis to write the movie. He understands the characters and their relationships perfectly. He crafts interesting story arcs that have enough action and drama to satisfy any Spider-Man fan. While I wouldn't agree on basing the reboot entirely on Ultimate Spider-Man (some of the later Gwen Stacy stuff is a bit much), I do think it deserves a good look.

Although it's a bit too soon for a reboot (ideally, Sony would have faffed about with it for a while until the licence reverted to Marvel - then they could have had S.L. Jackson fucking around with Peter as in Ultimate Spidey), all in all, I am thrilled that Raimi is now off the project.

Btw people, it's SPIDER-MAN, not SPIDERMAN. It's hyphenated!

< Message edited by SpaceLion -- 20/1/2010 12:59:15 PM >

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 57
RE: End of spiderman - 20/1/2010 12:54:59 PM   
Arkety Hodge

Sorry about the multiple posts- not sure what happened there.
My Name is Legion- you really need to try being less of a grumpy fucker, you might enjoy life more.
Lots of love, Marc....sorry...Arkety

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 58
well now I'm over my "Raimi leaving" concerns... - 20/1/2010 12:55:00 PM   
Marwood

I say why not give the guy a chance? I caught 500 Days recently and while it wasn't my usual cup of tea I quite enjoyed it so I think Webb should be fine with the romance and dramedy areas without it becoming as earnest and cheesy as Raimi's efforts. Still not sure how he'll handle the action/effects but coming from a music video background should give some idea of different techniques. Am not happy at all with the reboot idea but I think the director choice is not a bad one overall.

Post #: 59
It'll be Twilight for Spidey fans - 20/1/2010 12:57:40 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

Pretty obvious they want that "Twilight" dollar. Lots of angst, teens, 'being different' it's all there. Ha Ha Ha. And it's put paid to John Thespian Malkovitch being in it to. Double Ha Ha Ha. and it'll be 'darker'. Triple Ha Ha Ha.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> With great power... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI