Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Book of Eli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Book of Eli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Book of Eli - 22/3/2012 3:53:03 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

2 stars is a bit harsh I'd give it 3 personally due to the fact and at no point did I feel bored watching this and I was still compelled to see how things transpired. As mentioned in the Empire review Gary Oldman was great and even though Denzel Washington was required to play a humorless bugger he still did it well - you can't really blame him for being a depressed fucker

The opening where a gasmasked stranger kills a cat with an arrow while ash falls all around was actually quite a stark and eye opening moment. It was only let down by the cat which looked like a hairless pedigree breed that had just escaped from a rich owner. It would have been far better to see him arrowing a bedgraggled dirty moggy.

But enough about the cat - the action is pretty well handled, the bit when he fights the first set of cannibals with the camera in the tunnel so it effectively it takes place in shadow/ sillouhette was very nice and probably the coolest moment in the film.

It does drag a bit and the monochrome colour pallete robs you of of visual interest but all in all combined with the music The Book of Eli is an interesting semi-failure and is undoubtedly an atmospheric piece of work. I think it's worth a watch - but I like post apocalyptic movies scenarios so maybe I'm slightly biased!

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 121
7/10 for me, reviewed. - 26/3/2012 11:18:34 PM   
JohnChard

This road is no place for you.

The Book of Eli is directed by The Hughes Brothers and written by Gary Whitta. It stars Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Ray Stevenson and Jennifer Beales. Music is by Atticus Ross and photography by Don Burgess. Story is set thirty years after a nuclear war and finds Washington as Eli, who is travelling on foot across the desolated landscape to the West of the United States to deliver a sacred book. Itís a journey fraught with danger, more so when a stopover in what remains of a town brings him into contact with self appointed town leader Carnegie (Oldman). For Carnegie seeks the book that Eli is guarding with his lifeÖÖ

Post apocalypse movies have had a good run over the years, itís a theme that holds a morbid interest to film makers and film watchers alike. The Hughes Brothers have attempted to give this particular strand some new life by blending the sombre tone of something like Viggo Mortensen starrer, The Road, with Mad Max violence. A blend, it has to be said, that doesnít come totally off as Eli is in turns a God fearing man of few words, then the next a Kali martial artist laying waste to apocalyptic rapists and thieves. Further problems arise with the miscasting of Kunis. A good actress who looks yummy supreme here, but thatís half the problem, she just doesnít look right in this apocalyptic set-up, while some of the daftness that comes with her character arc is barely palatable.

However, if accepting it on its two fold terms, itís great as a mood piece and fun as an actioner! Washington is such a watchable star, someone who can lift an average film to better heights. Although this is not one of those average films, he has a commitment to the role of Eli that gives it a believability factor that few modern day actors in the same age group can. Having Oldman on bad guy duties is invariably a good thing, and he duly delivers another memorable one to file in the cabinet, while thereís an amusing couple of cameos from Michael Gambon and Frances de la Tour as a husband and wife duo with issues. The look and sound of the film is also impressive, with Ross (co-soundtrack collaborator the Social Network) and the Hughesí scoring it industrial like, and Burgess (Forrest Gump/Cast Away/Source Code) capturing a graphic novel like beauty from the back drop of devastation..

With a couple of genuine surprises up its sleeve, film canít be faulted for lacking ideas, the Brothers to be applauded for not delivering the same old same old post apocalyptic based picture. But itís difficult to accept a bleak message movie (sermon) when the action is so outrageously fun. I liked it very much, but not in the way I had originally hoped. Pays your money and takes your chance, besides, Denz and Gaz are worth the punt anyway. 7/10

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to Elvine)
Post #: 122
RE: The Book of Eli - 9/5/2012 3:32:35 PM   
Bird_Stonee

Hi all. Just registered on the forum. I want to help fans of the film. For those who want to watch a movie online give the links:
http://5movies.org/movie/book-eli
http://putlocker.com/file/PRZBNS6K0I88G0
http://sockshare.com/file/JCW0ZBMGFVCC80

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 123
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Book of Eli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI