Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Book of Eli

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Book of Eli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Book of Eli - 24/1/2010 5:13:03 PM   
SpiderBat

Some hypocrites and cretins will lie... to under-rate it. I will cuss them down... to defend it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: The Book Of Eli - 25/1/2010 2:14:53 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

The Book Of Eli.

The Hughes brothers return after a 9 year hiatus with their first feature film since From Hell. The directors of Menace 2 Society and Dead Presidents.

Staring Denzel Washington it is set approximately 30 after an unknown event has caused the end of most the life on Earth.  He is a traveller, wandering alone with just his wits, a bow, supplies, a couple of guns and a very sharp machete.

It is a desolate and dusty world.  Roving bands of cannibals, bandits and generally not very nice people.  Denzel pays the titular Eli who we learn pretty early on can look after himself is carrying a book.  A book with a large cross on it.  A book with a large cross on it that he reads everyday. A book with a large cross on it that he reads everyday that he also quotes frequently. 

On his travels he stumbles across as small town ran by Carnegie (an on cruise control) Gary Oldman.  Due to how well Eli handles himself Carnegie wants him to stay.  Carnegie who is sending roaming bandits out to search for a book. He even goes so far as to offer him Solara who is the daughter of his partner.  Solara is played by the far too glamorous Mila Kunis.  In a world were soap and water are so rare she looks like she is right off of vogue magazine.

Solara accidently reveals to Carnegie that Eli has the book he has been searching for. So Eli escapes the town followed by Solara who can take no more of Carnegieís rule.  The 2 quickly forming a bond around the book and its teaching and from this we understand Eli is going west to find his place in the world.

It is an interesting film because the book is wanted for its ideas and knowledge, as Carnegie wants it to expand the town and keep his people inline.  Instead of using weapons he wants ideas, theology and words to control the people.

The acting is fine all round, but you canít help but feel that both Washington and Oldman have done these characters many times before.  The direction is done well with some nice visual touches and some flair at times. 

Some have seen this film of being preachy. Which is understandable on some levels, as the ending will leave some cold to it.  The Hughes Brothers donít make many films and seemingly pick and choose the films they want to make and are the ones that mean something to them.  Obviously a film focusing on a book with a cross on the front has large religious tones that run through most the themes of the film. Some well, others maybe not so well.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

Post #: 62
RE: The Book Of Eli - 25/1/2010 6:44:34 PM   
hampstead bandit

just got back from seeing it

ticket prices at Odeon in London? £11.20 for a "matinee"...sheesh!!!

the film itself?

enjoyed it - saw "The Road" the previous Monday, and its probably fair to compare these 2 films due to their 'end of the world' settings

I think I preferred The Book of Eli to The Road

I found 'The Road' to be be a subtle, perhaps too "slight" film to be really effective - I certainly thought the acting performances were very good all round, but there wasn't much going on in the film - I've never read the book itself so cannot comment in that respect

The Book of Eli is a solid actioneer with a deeper message, and a nice twist (or two) at the end

the fight scenes were breath taking, and like The Road, you don't really find out what caused the World to end

a solid 3/5

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 63
RE: The Book Of Eli - 25/1/2010 6:46:53 PM   
SpiderBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

The Book Of Eli.

The Hughes brothers return after a 9 year hiatus with their first feature film since From Hell. The directors of Menace 2 Society and Dead Presidents.

Staring Denzel Washington it is set approximately 30 after an unknown event has caused the end of most the life on Earth.  He is a traveller, wandering alone with just his wits, a bow, supplies, a couple of guns and a very sharp machete.

It is a desolate and dusty world.  Roving bands of cannibals, bandits and generally not very nice people.  Denzel pays the titular Eli who we learn pretty early on can look after himself is carrying a book.  A book with a large cross on it.  A book with a large cross on it that he reads everyday. A book with a large cross on it that he reads everyday that he also quotes frequently. 

On his travels he stumbles across as small town ran by Carnegie (an on cruise control) Gary Oldman.  Due to how well Eli handles himself Carnegie wants him to stay.  Carnegie who is sending roaming bandits out to search for a book. He even goes so far as to offer him Solara who is the daughter of his partner.  Solara is played by the far too glamorous Mila Kunis.  In a world were soap and water are so rare she looks like she is right off of vogue magazine.

Solara accidently reveals to Carnegie that Eli has the book he has been searching for. So Eli escapes the town followed by Solara who can take no more of Carnegie's rule.  The 2 quickly forming a bond around the book and its teaching and from this we understand Eli is going west to find his place in the world.

It is an interesting film because the book is wanted for its ideas and knowledge, as Carnegie wants it to expand the town and keep his people inline.  Instead of using weapons he wants ideas, theology and words to control the people.

The acting is fine all round, but you can't help but feel that both Washington and Oldman have done these characters many times before.  The direction is done well with some nice visual touches and some flair at times. 

Some have seen this film of being preachy. Which is understandable on some levels, as the ending will leave some cold to it.  The Hughes Brothers don't make many films and seemingly pick and choose the films they want to make and are the ones that mean something to them.  Obviously a film focusing on a book with a cross on the front has large religious tones that run through most the themes of the film. Some well, others maybe not so well.

Nice one bruv! Very professionally written, although by now we kind of know most of it, including that it stars Denzel Washington. But again, decent job. Umm, you're not actually Kimmy Newman incognito trying to repent for the sins of the original cock-eyed review are you?

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 64
- 26/1/2010 12:08:42 AM   
xmagic_dustx

Dire, dire, dire!

Post #: 65
RE: The Book Of Eli - 27/1/2010 1:30:08 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Glad you liked it .

No I am not Kim I promise you that.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 66
Kim needs shooting - 27/1/2010 2:00:53 PM   
antmumford

First he gives the absolutely dire Diary of the Dead 4 stars which only deserved a 2 at the most, then he gives a brilliant film only 2 stars. To give it any less than 3 or 4 then I really think people are watching something entirely different to me.
The Book of Eli was fun, violent, clever, beautiful and just all round excellent. What more do you want from a film? I mean, geez.....
Go see it for yourself, much better than I originally thought it'd be, much better!

Post #: 67
Kim needs shooting - 27/1/2010 2:00:54 PM   
antmumford

First he gives the absolutely dire Diary of the Dead 4 stars which only deserved a 2 at the most, then he gives a brilliant film only 2 stars. To give it any less than 3 or 4 then I really think people are watching something entirely different to me.
The Book of Eli was fun, violent, clever, beautiful and just all round excellent. What more do you want from a film? I mean, geez.....
Go see it for yourself, much better than I originally thought it'd be, much better!

Post #: 68
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 27/1/2010 7:46:07 PM   
robwillphill

Quite sluggish in parts and generally should be a 2 star film. However, the acting, the cinematography and a few action set pieces that were shot fantastically (although camera techniques reminiscent of Michael Bay's Bad Boys 2 *shudder*) managed to save this from a bad review for me. Basically, average but enjoyable (especially after watching the shitty 2012)

6/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 69
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 28/1/2010 8:18:15 PM   
Vadersville

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Went in with zero expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. A lot of people have said that its preachy and been turned off by what they think is lesson in Christainity, but I took a different message from it. Eli mentions that people blamed The Bible for 'the war'. Gary Oldman's character calls it a weapon, and at the end Eli says he spent everyday reading it, protecting it but didn't really live by its meaning. I took the film has making acomment on the distorted uses of violence that have come out of a rigid, unquestioning following of religion, forsaking in the process the righteous message behind faith in the first place, as opposed as a film telling us we should all become Christains.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 28/1/2010 8:34:43 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 70
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 2/2/2010 6:27:05 PM   
Gazdance

Had no intention of seeing this when there are other films out at the moment that I'd rather, however it was recommended by a colleague...

I was so bored during this.  I'm just a bit sick of post apocalyptic end-of-humanity films with bleached cinematography desolate landscapes.  It seems like we've had so many and few of them are any good.  For the record, I enjoyed The Road but I don't really get the cross referencing to that film.  Seems The Road's only mistake was being released so close to this.

I kind of had a feeling I was on to a loser within about ten minutes but started to find it acceptable once it was obvious I was basically watching a Western.

Even so, I just didn't engage with the story or characters.  Washington is such a dull leading man, I stuggle to understand how he ever gets cast.  The action, whilst well staged, was nothing new. 

It really picked up though, in the last 15 minutes.  It was obvious he had a Bible but the fact that it was braille and Eli was blind was a really interesting twist.  The idea that he'd memorised the whole thing whilst on his 30 year quest was ridiculous (in the way that lots of things in films are) but cool.  If only I'd cared more about his journey, I may even have been moved. 

The fact that he's blind though, basically doesn't hold up when taken in context with everything he's been shown to be capable of before.  Ok so we got lots of stuff about his other senses being good so perhaps it makes perfect sense to some, but to me, he came across like a super powered Bear Grylls for most of the film.

I felt that the idea that Eli was protected somehow, on a mission from God, was a theme only lightly touched upon and mentioned in passing by a few characters.  Perhaps if the religious aspect of the story had been beefed up some more it would have carried more weight with me.

15 decent minutes at the end couldn't stop this being a below average and forgettable film though.

4/10

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 71
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 3/2/2010 12:27:09 AM   
SpiderBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

Had no intention of seeing this when there are other films out at the moment that I'd rather, however it was recommended by a colleague...

I was so bored during this.  I'm just a bit sick of post apocalyptic end-of-humanity films with bleached cinematography desolate landscapes.  It seems like we've had so many and few of them are any good.  For the record, I enjoyed The Road but I don't really get the cross referencing to that film.  Seems The Road's only mistake was being released so close to this.

I kind of had a feeling I was on to a loser within about ten minutes but started to find it acceptable once it was obvious I was basically watching a Western.

Even so, I just didn't engage with the story or characters.  Washington is such a dull leading man, I stuggle to understand how he ever gets cast.  The action, whilst well staged, was nothing new. 

It really picked up though, in the last 15 minutes.  It was obvious he had a Bible but the fact that it was braille and Eli was blind was a really interesting twist.  The idea that he'd memorised the whole thing whilst on his 30 year quest was ridiculous (in the way that lots of things in films are) but cool.  If only I'd cared more about his journey, I may even have been moved. 

The fact that he's blind though, basically doesn't hold up when taken in context with everything he's been shown to be capable of before.  Ok so we got lots of stuff about his other senses being good so perhaps it makes perfect sense to some, but to me, he came across like a super powered Bear Grylls for most of the film.

I felt that the idea that Eli was protected somehow, on a mission from God, was a theme only lightly touched upon and mentioned in passing by a few characters.  Perhaps if the religious aspect of the story had been beefed up some more it would have carried more weight with me.

15 decent minutes at the end couldn't stop this being a below average and forgettable film though.

4/10

Lamerhoid... u r trying to attack it. I will cuss u down... to defend it.

PS - I bet Denzel could prolly take u out, and I don't mean to dinner.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 72
RE: The Book Of Eli - 4/2/2010 1:40:50 AM   
emertom

Wow, all these reviews are positive, I can't wait to see this one on Saturday!!

Post #: 73
okay..fair..brain left out at the door kinda movie - 5/2/2010 2:06:35 AM   
lipton village

Would have said a good movie once you leave the brain at the door. The final scene where the damzel in distress sets out on her own 'mission' ushered me quickly of my cinema seat to beat the other cars leaving the car park. Fair is about right..unless your a God believer you may think its much much better...chow

Post #: 74
Gary Oldman...The 4 stars are for Mr. Oldman..two stars... - 5/2/2010 2:14:01 AM   
lipton village

Forgot to mention..If your a Gary Oldman fan, then you'l enjoy his performance.. I thinks he has to be one of the most unaclaimed actors in the world. Loved his performance in it..Fantastic actor.

Post #: 75
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 5/2/2010 6:00:58 PM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

4/10

Lamerhoid... u r trying to attack it. I will cuss u down... to defend it.

PS - I bet Denzel could prolly take u out, and I don't mean to dinner.

what the f...  you're special aren't you.

I liked the film, 7/10

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 76
Not bad - 6/2/2010 10:35:54 PM   
kristyw

Quite a mixed film with different things going on. Gary Oldman is great value as usual. There was clearly a twist coming though it wasn't quite what I thought. Would recommend but nothing I want to see again.

Post #: 77
- 10/2/2010 9:29:12 AM   
duncan1964

A post apocalyptic road movie with Denzel Washington on the road killing anybody that tries to take the "book" he is desperate to protect. The film looks fantastic, and the violence is nicely played out, but by the end the religious overtones become unbearable and the "twist" ending is completely unbelievable. Having said that, and film that opens with a cat being killed by a crossbow cant be all bad

Post #: 78
- 10/2/2010 9:29:13 AM   
duncan1964

A post apocalyptic road movie with Denzel Washington on the road killing anybody that tries to take the "book" he is desperate to protect. The film looks fantastic, and the violence is nicely played out, but by the end the religious overtones become unbearable and the "twist" ending is completely unbelievable. Having said that, and film that opens with a cat being killed by a crossbow cant be all bad

Post #: 79
Only good! - 8/4/2010 11:15:01 AM   
batbhai

That too because of the twist. Otherwise, it's Mad Max-Dejavu, which I saw recently. Da VInci Code is far much better

Post #: 80
Don't be put off by the religious message - 10/4/2010 10:14:29 AM   
djphilips

The Book of Eli has become somewhat infamous for trying to infuse your typical post-apocalyptic loner film with religious undertones to spice it up a little bit. And, surprise surprise, the film's writers actually manage to pull it off quite handsomely.
The film, quite similarly to The Dark Knight, mixes symbolism and themes with enjoyable action to create a balance which viewers with artistic taste find to help matters quite considerably. Congratulation to the writer for coming up with an entertaining film with interesting characters, deep symbolism and thought-provoking themes.
Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman are simply a treat here, turning in superb performances which are really the icing on the cake. The Hughes Brothers also prove their considerable worth as respactable directors here, considering that their last film was From Hell and that they manage to carry along a film so different in style and nature.

Post #: 81
The Book of Eli - 27/4/2010 12:04:52 PM   
Soprano168

A return to form from the Hughes brothers after their dissapointing adaptation of Frrom Hell. The Book of Eli isnt perfect but its exciting and bouncing full of ideas. Its just a shame it falls apart in the final act. Its not Dead Presidents yet its still good stuff.

Post #: 82
A waste - 13/5/2010 4:01:51 AM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

A couple of steps down for the Hughes Bros since From Hell. That was way better than this shit! Just trying to be Mad Max with no car. Instead, the man Denzel has just got a Bible which will somehow put humanity back on track again & he will kill anybody who gets in his way all in the name of the Lord!
No explanaition on why they are living in a post apocalyptic future, only that an atomic bomb went off 30 years ago, but by the time the book gets printed up & put on the shelf next to the other bibles of other religions, you will probably guess that its was the books in the 1st place that caused the apocalypse!
Denzel is asleep thoughout the movie & Oldman has none of the menace you'd expect from him. And Michael Gambon... On the screen for less than 5 minutes! What was the point!
I tried to look for some good in this movie, but even the action scenes didnt hold my interest, and there not much of them.
As a whole, the film is Klunky & the cast is wasted. To be honest, i couldnt wait to get the fuck out the cinema, and i'm ashamed of that, as the cinema is my church!
Save your money... Only watch if the DVD is given to you. Plan 9 from Outer Space is better than this!

< Message edited by BubbaGump Shrimps -- 13/5/2010 4:06:51 AM >

Post #: 83
Whistling - 26/5/2010 1:28:51 PM   
strangeone

An interesting movie. Denzel was solid as ever, Oldman added another slimy villain to his canon. The action scenes were good and i loved the revelation (no pun intended) towards the end. I'm not a religious person myself but i didn't feel as if i was being subjected to a sermon as the reviewer stated anymore than i did watching Start Wars or any movie that talks of a higher power. One thing though, does anyone know what the significance was of Ray Stevenson's character whistling the theme to Once upon a time in America? He did it several times in the movie.

Post #: 84
Good But Left Me A Little Cold. - 7/6/2010 2:57:48 PM   
joanna likes films

I was really looking forward to seeing this so I rented it out and watched it last night. Sure it has a twist I didn't see coming, some good pefomances from Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Ray Stevenson, excellent action scenes and good scenery. But this is something I wouldn't watch again and again, the ending left a little cold and the quick cameos were a bit wasteful. Other than that, it's one to see if you like that sort of thing.

Post #: 85
Good But Left Me A Little Cold. - 7/6/2010 2:57:49 PM   
joanna likes films

I was really looking forward to seeing this so I rented it out and watched it last night. Sure it has a twist I didn't see coming, some good pefomances from Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Ray Stevenson, excellent action scenes and good scenery. But this is something I wouldn't watch again and again, the ending left a little cold and the quick cameos were a bit wasteful. Other than that, it's one to see if you like that sort of thing.

Post #: 86
RE: Good But Left Me A Little Cold. - 14/6/2010 12:39:58 PM   
BigKovacs

I've got a couple of questions regarding some plot points, SPOLERS ahead for what it's worth.

Firstly Eli is blind isn't he? Now I watched the film twice and the second time round there are times when he does 'act' blind, not looking in peoples eyes when they speak, super hearing etc but there are times where he blatantly has to use sight for what he's doing. It's not a major gripe, it's just a bit inconsistent.

Secondly how does he know about Alcatraz? Okay he's had a 'voice' telling him to walk west, thats fine but how does he know specifically that it's Alcatraz that he needs to get to and that they are collecting books, the curator doesn't seem at all surprised to see Eli rock up.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 87
RE: Good But Left Me A Little Cold. - 19/6/2010 8:23:21 PM   
morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I've got a couple of questions regarding some plot points, SPOLERS ahead for what it's worth.

Firstly Eli is blind isn't he? Now I watched the film twice and the second time round there are times when he does 'act' blind, not looking in peoples eyes when they speak, super hearing etc but there are times where he blatantly has to use sight for what he's doing. It's not a major gripe, it's just a bit inconsistent.

Secondly how does he know about Alcatraz? Okay he's had a 'voice' telling him to walk west, thats fine but how does he know specifically that it's Alcatraz that he needs to get to and that they are collecting books, the curator doesn't seem at all surprised to see Eli rock up.

The lord works in mysterious ways.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 88
2 stars, very harsh! - 21/6/2010 11:58:26 PM   
guysalisbury

nuff said

Post #: 89
RE: 2 stars, very harsh! - 10/7/2010 11:51:17 PM   
fuzbucket mutant

** spoliers **

I've just finished watching this for the 2nd time and tbh I thought it was pretty good, but I do have a question about the twist - was he actually blind? Having watched it a second time, there isn't anything during the film that suggests he is blind.... yeah I know, he could smell the robbers 30 feet away and he can read braillet, but when he's putting objects down, picking objects up, talking to people, shooting and hitting the targets, doesn't use a stick to walk with, it just all becomes a bit too unbelievable that he is blind.... especially when the girl is being attacked by those two cannibals and he shoots and kills them with an arrow - come on, a blind man firing an arrow at two cannibals when she's standing with them?

We do get to see his eyes properly at the end, and they don't look right... well, one does, the other doesn't.. was he partially blind? fully blind, OR was he ONCE blind but now he can see? and because of this he's now on a mission from god? - unlikely I know, but it would be better if that was the case imo.

If he was blind, then my opinion of the film has dropped.

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Book of Eli Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI