Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ive Changed My Mind

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ive Changed My Mind Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 17/1/2010 7:50:03 PM   
Deviation

How much is Tom Waits in it? He's the only reason I might ever, ever, ever approach this potential crap. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 31
RE: Ive Changed My Mind - 18/1/2010 2:05:05 PM   
GoodBadGroovy

Tom Waits is in it for 10 minutes, at a push.  If he's the reason you're going to see it then don't bother.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 32
Book Of Eli - 18/1/2010 8:19:24 PM   
moviemaniac2

Credit must be given to the filmmakers here for their noble attempts to inject some innovation into a movie they could've sleepwalked through on action alone. The obvious, but smart parallels with religion, are what separate this blockbuster from the current group of 'end of the world' epics. It also helps that Washington plays Eli which such utter conviction and class; and well, he kicks a hell of a lot of ass.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
Book Of Eli - 18/1/2010 8:19:29 PM   
moviemaniac2

Credit must be given to the filmmakers here for their noble attempts to inject some innovation into a movie they could've sleepwalked through on action alone. The obvious, but smart parallels with religion, are what separate this blockbuster from the current group of 'end of the world' epics. It also helps that Washington plays Eli which such utter conviction and class; and well, he kicks a hell of a lot of ass.

Post #: 34
RE: Book Of Eli - 18/1/2010 9:08:23 PM   
Dr Lenera

This is surprisingly similar to last week's post-apocalyptic movie The Road. Once again we have a hero travelling on a 'road' to the shor,once again he has a prized possession, once again the future is all wastelands, rubble, cannibals etc, and again it's all very serious [though there are touches of black humour]. Of course The Book Of Eli also has a few brawls and gunfights where Denzel Washington [seeming very tough at 55!] dispatches ruffians with great style. These scenes are interestingly done, such as the opening fight done in silhouette and the end gun battle which at least partially looks like it was done without cuts, with the camera darting around the protagonists and diving through windows after rockets. There's a Christian element to the story which seems to have put a lot of people off but it's actually very well handled and says that religion can be a force for evil as well as a force for good. The plot is rather stretched out and at least a third of the film consists of Washington walking, but I rather liked The Book Of Eli. It's stunningly shot, has a real sense of setting and has some hugely enjoyable performances from the likes of Gary Oldman, Micheal Gambon and Tom Waits. It is quite slow but this actually seems to suit the film quite well and it certainly isn't boring. As is shown by their earlier work, the Hughes brothers have great talent, they just need the right vehicle and they could really become a cinematic force to be reckoned with.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 35
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 1:50:57 AM   
DanFrost

How can Empire give Avatar 5 stars and The Book of Eli only 2 stars? Some of the things they complain about in the article exist in Avatar.

I thought it was a well shot film that, to me, seemed to give the message that we should follow the morals and meanings behind the stories of the bible and not fight over the unimportant, petty differences. That's the message I got, and I'm an atheist.

Media student and aspiring screenwriter.

Post #: 36
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 2:14:58 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

I saw this today (not my choice) and was pleasantly surprised.

There may be SPOILERS. Gander if you dare. I don't know if there are as I haven't typed my thoughts yet, but there may be. Beware. Yarghh.

It started off as a fairly decent apocalyptic flick, and then descended into something a bit deeper, even if the book was a pretty obvious one. The film had a good message, and the idea of preserving culture seemed a really interesting one, which was perhaps developed as fully as it could have been (but to be fair, it may not have fitted in this particular film). My only issue is with the Hughes Brothers direction. I agree the cinematography, at times, was pretty striking, but never superb, and I do agree with Newman's comment about the ash coloured lens. It wasn't ground-breaking in terms of it's depiction of Earth, but it was an entertaining film, with a deeper message that elevated above your standard cinema fare these days. (I'm not particularly religious either, but that's not necessarily what you have to take from it.) I'd give it a solid 3. Good film, just not a great one.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to DanFrost)
Post #: 37
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 12:03:51 PM   
The Hooded Man

Utter rubbish that feels like The Road for morons.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 38
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 1:01:24 PM   
jmebaby25

I'm sorry, but that review is just nonsense.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing it because I disagree with the score given (although I do). Everyone is allowed an opinion and it's common that reviewers and readers will disagree, but we at least expect the review to be accurate.

Firstly, in what way is Eli's reverence of the book he carries "more giggly than inspirational"? The Hughes brothers present a lawless world that has descended into almost complete depravity and Eli stands out, not as being the only "good" guy (notable is the harrowing scene where he refuses to help a woman who is being raped and murdered), but as being the only guy who seems to stand for something. Everyone seems to go after their immediate impulses and desires and because of this Eli cuts an astounding figure of someone who hasn't given up on the world and who believes that some things are more important than creature comforts.

Kim Newman then comments on the fact that the film focuses on Eli caring about the book he carries and that he seems to believe in the bible, but that the Hughes' are more than happy to portray him killing countless people. Don't get me wrong... during the film I felt the same thing. As soon as the book was revealed, I found it ridculous that he'd call himself a christian yet left the woman to be raped and seemed pretty compassionless throughout. Now, had Newman walked out part way through, then I guess his comment wouldn't be so ridiculous.

However, about half way through we see Eli saving another woman from being raped and in a key scene he examines himself and says that he's been reading the book and giving it so much reverence for so long, but he'd never let it actually affect the way he lives. He then said quoted a verse about treating others as you'd like to be treated. Did Newman not bother to watch that scene...?

Then there is the comment about his gun never running out of bullets. This would be true if it weren't for the fact that, ya know, it's complete and utter nonesense. The group he fought on the road early on were dispatched with his knife and not his gun. When it came to a shootout in the street, he clearly ran out of bullets and threw his gun onto the car hood as he reached for a shotgun. Did Newman take a toilet break in this scene? How is that not a clear example of his gun running out of ammo?

Fair enough if you don't like the film, but give us legitimate reasons rather than misrepresenting the facts.

I enjoyed the film because it cast an appropriately sombre tone and carried a decent message. It was beautifully shot, setting the tone of the film perfectly.

There were two scenes that I didn't like. Firstly, the Gambon scene (the film had been deadly serious up to this point and I feel the comedy touch here was a mistep) and secondly, I hated the final scene of the girl with the backpack, gun and glasses. It was as if the producers had added a scene without letting the Hughes bros know. It was jarring and didn't fit remotely with anything else in the film. The world had been portrayed as ruthless and dangerous, particularly for a young woman to travel alone.

Oh - also... she was too pretty. It's hard to believe that in a society living on scraps and sleeping in filthy conditions that she'd look like that. However, it's a minor issue.

Other than those minor gripes, I liked it.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

Post #: 39
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 7:22:32 PM   
SpiderBat

Bruvsta, what r u doing!?? You gave the great movie a 1 star rating, not Kimberly Newman's lame review!

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 40
RE: The Book Of Eli - 19/1/2010 10:36:44 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

Another voice of disagreement here.  Empire, I think you got this one wrong.  4 star film for me.  Well acted, scripted and shot.  Didn't know much about it before I went in but was wonderfully surprised.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 41
RE: The Book Of Eli - 20/1/2010 1:27:27 PM   
ktscarf

This may be slightly irrelevant but Spiderbat, if you dislike Empire and it's views so much, why have you been reading it for 20 years?

I haven't seen this film and am still undecided as whether I will or not, but it's really good to hear a range of (most of the time coherent) views. So thanks everyone!

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 42
RE: The Book Of Eli - 20/1/2010 1:38:40 PM   
Haiku

It's been about 5 days since I've seen it, and I'm still thinking about this film and the things in it. It's rare that a film can give you this much food for thought, and also work as a pure entertainment as well. I almost never watch a movie twice at the cinema, but I'm tempted with this one.

Empire really did blow it on this review. I can actually see this film earning classic status down the line. Book Of Eli is the sort of smart, quality genre film it should be championing. I guess the lack of pre-release coverage should have been a clue. I'm pretty sure Empire will be handing out 4 star reviews to films far inferior to the Book Of Eli over the course of the year.

I 've got to give a massive round of applause to The Hughes Brothers, who are really on my radar now. A beautifully crafted film, and stylishly directed. So many great and tasteful references to cinema and genre film in general (Ray Stevenson whistling the theme to Once Upon A Time In The West was a treat). Whatever these guys have coming out next, I'm looking forward to (and I was not a fan of their From Hell adaptation at all). Hope they don't wait another 9 years to direct a film.

< Message edited by Haiku -- 20/1/2010 1:40:52 PM >

(in reply to ktscarf)
Post #: 43
RE: The Book Of Eli - 20/1/2010 6:16:59 PM  1 votes
Marwood

Saw this last night and I really, really enjoyed it. I can't say that I was looking forward to it as the one trailer I'd seen portrayed as more of an action piece, the friend I went with was keener because of that misleading trailer so I think he was slightly disappointed - as he said afterwards "It was very good but I was kind of in the mood for cheese".

I was just so surprised by it though, I won't mention the big spoiler about Eli's nature but I thought it was a great twist and having thought back over the film the clues are all there but subtle and organic to the way Eli makes his journey so it doesn't just feel like a twist for twist's sake. It reminded me a lot of the revelation in The Sixth Sense and when you rewatch it the hints are all there concerning Bruce Willis' character.

Denzel was magnificent as usual here, I'm curious as to how well it would have worked without him frankly. It's another measured performance from one of the best actors working today and a rare opportunity to see him really kick arse when he briefly springs into action mode.

Gary Oldman was also great, his Carnegie was a lot more subdued and quietly nasty whereas again the trailer painted him to be in The Fifth Element kind of mode. Carnegie isn't quite up there with Stansfield as Oldman's best bad guy role but he definitely created a suitably vile piece of shit without going overboard. Good work.

Ray Stevenson was a bit of a let down because I'm a big fan of his from Rome and although the film itself was utter shit I thought he made a mean Frank Castle in Punisher Warzone. However I did love the fact that he whistles a theme from Once Upon A Time In America at certain points. I wonder if that was something he added? Either way his role was slight so he didn't have a lot to work with but I'd hoped he might have brought more to it.

Mila Kunis' role was also a bit toned down from what I was expecting. Again I don't feel she had much to work with and aside from a couple of nice quiet moments I didn't really rate her. I don't get where her "next big thing" hype in the states comes from to be honest but maybe Black Swan will change my mind.

The random cameos from Malcom McDowell and Michael Gambon were kind of fun but I'm really curious as to why they took it on, still they did what was required without holding up signs and shouting "I'm Gambon/McDowell!" like a lot of cameo players might have done.

Loved the music to this as well to the point I'm thinking of getting the soundtrack, really cool theme for Eli at beginning and end.

I think the Hughes Brothers did a great job here, you can tell it wasn't a large budget but it was all well used and unlike Daybreakers (which I saw last week) it never looked or felt cheap to me. I guess the setting certainly helped and although the washed out post apocalypse look has been used many times before they got some great location photography in there. It all felt so dirty and scummy...but in the right way.

The only thing I guess that grates a bit is the coda for Kunis' character, I really think that felt tacked on and I hope it isn't sequel/spin off bait - as much as I enjoyed the film I've no desire to see The Book of Solara (or however you spell her name). Anyway, a definite Blu Ray purchase later this year.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 44
RE: The Book Of Eli - 20/1/2010 7:37:08 PM   
SpiderBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: ktscarf

This may be slightly irrelevant but Spiderbat, if you dislike Empire and it's views so much, why have you been reading it for 20 years?

I haven't seen this film and am still undecided as whether I will or not, but it's really good to hear a range of (most of the time coherent) views. So thanks everyone!

Coz its free to browse in newsagents (especially with the occassional plastic cover ripped off). As far as Empire Online, kudos to people like boss-lady Helen O'Hara for good articles now and then. Also some of the "audience" reviewers such as here for The Book of Eli seem like normal intelligent people who know the score a lot better than Empire. It's easier to trust an opinion when you know the poster isn't a) some pathetic fanboy/girl, b) a movie critic trying to look "in", c) a movie critic getting their pockets lined with shares in LucasFilm Inc, etc. d) a movie critic using reviews as a media channel to wank out their political leanings. Anyway, will someone please send Kimmo his P45!

(in reply to ktscarf)
Post #: 45
This is Fallout 3 the movie - 21/1/2010 4:55:25 PM   
Joshua02

I cant believe how close this is to Fallout 3. The guys have even used Malcolm McDowell at the end who provided the voice of President Eden in the game. There are so many nods to the game from the red tricycle on the groud to the "raider" hanging in the cupboard with the side parted pink hair, I am a massive fan of the game and went to this hoping to see something a bit more like the game but despite the twist at the end, i was really dissappointed by it. The only redeeming thing for me was the whole reference to fallout 3.

Post #: 46
This is Fallout 3 the movie - 21/1/2010 4:55:30 PM   
Joshua02

I cant believe how close this is to Fallout 3. The guys have even used Malcolm McDowell at the end who provided the voice of President Eden in the game. There are so many nods to the game from the red tricycle on the groud to the "raider" hanging in the cupboard with the side parted pink hair, I am a massive fan of the game and went to this hoping to see something a bit more like the game but despite the twist at the end, i was really dissappointed by it. The only redeeming thing for me was the whole reference to fallout 3.

Post #: 47
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 21/1/2010 7:25:18 PM   
SpiderBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshua02

Idiot.

(in reply to Joshua02)
Post #: 48
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 4:19:28 AM   
Stebop

lighten up Spiderbat. My guess is Joshua02 is young. Young enough not to have been reading Empire on the sly at his local newsagents for 7 years. And if not, who gives a fuck? We can't all be paragons of insight and intelligence like your good self.

I liked the film as it happens, for similar reasons to yourself. You're still a bully though.

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 49
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 9:17:29 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat
Coz its free to browse in newsagents (especially with the occassional plastic cover ripped off). As far as Empire Online, kudos to people like boss-lady Helen O'Hara for good articles now and then. Also some of the "audience" reviewers such as here for The Book of Eli seem like normal intelligent people who know the score a lot better than Empire. It's easier to trust an opinion when you know the poster isn't a) some pathetic fanboy/girl, b) a movie critic trying to look "in", c) a movie critic getting their pockets lined with shares in LucasFilm Inc, etc. d) a movie critic using reviews as a media channel to wank out their political leanings. Anyway, will someone please send Kimmo his P45!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat
Idiot.

^^ This

(in reply to SpiderBat)
Post #: 50
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 10:04:28 AM   
Skillgannon

The thing I love about movies is that everyone makes up their own mind on what they like and rightly so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that opinion should be respected whether you agree or not.
Kim Newman obviously didn't rate this movie that well to give it 2 our of 5.
Personally I would give it 4 out of 5. I thought Denzel was superb. Gary Oldman was great in a role similar to in Leon. The action set peices were very entertaining and the actual photography was brilliant. The fight in silhouette in the underpasss was very stylish. The use of light and the sepia colouring worked very well. The ending has had me thinking over and over about this movie and I look forward to buying it on blu-ray to check out all the details to fit in with the twist.
On the downside, I thought there were too many slow motion walks, not all the music worked and the very end could have been slightly better. Maybe seeing Mila Kunis's character doing some fight training and then walking off with us actually seeing  a bible in her backpack?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 51
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 10:33:29 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skillgannon

The thing I love about movies is that everyone makes up their own mind on what they like and rightly so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that opinion should be respected whether you agree or not.
Kim Newman obviously didn't rate this movie that well to give it 2 our of 5

I agree with that. I also think Newman underrated The Book Of Eli quite considerably, but as is often the case where people don't agree with a review, folks have too quick to jump down his throat. It's only his opinion. Same as with the 5 stars Avatar review. I disagree totally with that, but in the end it's just the reviewer's opinion. If I was in a pub and the guy next to me said Avatar was the best movie ever I might laugh but I wouldn't start insulting him!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 52
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 10:37:54 AM   
captainrentboy

quote:

Maybe seeing Mila Kunis's character doing some fight training and then walking off with us actually seeing a bible in her backpack?

That was one of the parts that bugged me slightly with the movie. I wasn't asking for a Rocky-esque training montage but at the same time, baring in mind the stuff that had happened to her before, why were we all of a sudden supposed to buy her as an ass kicking one 'man' army? That didn't work at all.

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 53
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 11:50:55 AM   
Skillgannon

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

quote:

Maybe seeing Mila Kunis's character doing some fight training and then walking off with us actually seeing a bible in her backpack?

That was one of the parts that bugged me slightly with the movie. I wasn't asking for a Rocky-esque training montage but at the same time, baring in mind the stuff that had happened to her before, why were we all of a sudden supposed to buy her as an ass kicking one 'man' army? That didn't work at all.

Its obvious quite some time must have passed for Eli to dictate the whole Bible (oddly the Bible he carried didn't have too many pages so not sure whats up there?) so in that time, they could have had her learning how to look after herself. 

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 54
RE: This is Fallout 3 the movie - 22/1/2010 12:29:05 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Kim Newman obviously didn't rate this movie that well to give it 2 our of 5

I agree with that. I also think Newman underrated The Book Of Eli quite considerably, but as is often the case where people don't agree with a review, folks have too quick to jump down his throat. It's only his opinion. Same as with the 5 stars Avatar review. I disagree totally with that, but in the end it's just the reviewer's opinion. If I was in a pub and the guy next to me said Avatar was the best movie ever I might laugh but I wouldn't start insulting him!

I agree that it's crazy  to go off at the reviewer for a different opinion, but my problem with Newman's review here isn't that he dislikes a film that I actually like, it's the utter nonesense that is in it. I've already posted above so won't bore everyone with the same rant twice, but his review is full of inaccuracies that make you wonder if he even saw the film. Bizarre and I think pretty disgraceful.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 55
HARSH HARSH REVIEW AND A LITTLE LAZY IMO - 22/1/2010 5:31:27 PM   
Slysaac

I think the empire review is incredibly harsh. I saw this film last night and despite a few pacing issues have to say that it was a strong return from 'The Hughes Brothers'. What this review should have spent more time discussing is their OBVIOUS filmmaking skill, technique and ability. They really deliver striking visuals and imagery.

It's a shame that Empire can't be more unobjective when reviewing films such as this. It won't change the world but was far more satisfying and enjoyable than 'The Road' and also stands alongside that film for simply providing a more telling portrait of rebuilding civilisation and the idea of communication and interaction in a post apocalyptic society...as opposed to 'The Road's' "The world will be shit" view.

< Message edited by Slysaac -- 22/1/2010 5:33:42 PM >

Post #: 56
cindersred - 22/1/2010 5:45:43 PM   
cindersred

Like a lot of people here I went to see this and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The photography was excellent I thought and shooting through an ash coloured lense was perfect. Good performances all round!

Post #: 57
RE: cindersred - 23/1/2010 1:16:02 AM   
shinysavage

*may contain spoilers*

Didn't rate this much. The religious message was a commendable attempt to do something different, but felt forced to me. Have a theme, but don't hammer it home so hard you injure people in the audience. The twists were surprising, but on reflection make the action fairly ridiculous (is Eli actually Daredevil?), and there wasn't a single character I particularly cared about.

That said, it was comforting to learn that skinny jeans and iPods will survive a nuclear holocaust.

My blog: http://savagewords.blogspot.com/

People are morons. I don't have any other explanation, I really don't. (Joss Whedon)

A home without books is like a body without a soul (Cicero)

(in reply to cindersred)
Post #: 58
Disappointing, It blows. Post-Apocalytic but with Nivea... - 23/1/2010 2:36:00 AM   
Rich Empire

Sorry to say it. I thought the trailer I saw before Christmas looked cool.
It certainly conned me into going to see it at the cinema. Sadly it's yet another film with that weird silver/grey sheen to the celluloid that makes it look kind of tacky in my honest opinion.
The direction was pretty drowsy, a couple of cool battles are in there but asides from that I found it hard to even concentrate and engage with the story.
Gary Oldman is reliably good as the sinister baddie with a great accent. Denzel Washington is fine as the hero. Mila Kunis seems to have found Nivea and Tressume products in a post apocalyptic world where no-one else has. A good looking girl she certainly is, but she didn't bring much else to the table in my opinion.
The biggest let down for me was the bad direction, I loved "Menace II Society" and thought "Dead Presidents" (with an excellent soundtrack by the way!) was pretty cool when they both came out.
I thought this might have been a fun caper to start the year with but alas not. Its not even what I would call a trashy, fun action flick for a rainy day. The ending above all for me was the most disappointing part.

Post #: 59
RE: Disappointing, It blows. Post-Apocalytic but with N... - 24/1/2010 3:27:18 PM   
genejoke

I really enjoyed it, good action and a nice little mystrery running through it.  I get why people are comparing it to the road but they are very different films.   The book of eli is an action film, the road most certainly isn't.  

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ive Changed My Mind Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI