Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I miss Adam and Joe!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> I miss Adam and Joe! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I miss Adam and Joe! - 14/1/2010 1:06:39 AM   
maffew

Easily one of my favorite radio shows ever, I unfortunately only discovered it a month or so ago.. my listening had evolved from the odd podcast to listen again to tuning in to the live shows... and now they're gone! My Saturday mornings feel empty... I've been forced to download their entire back catalogue..

Any other fans?

I like to listen to Adam and Joe
But I listen to the podcast not the live show
I used to feel acute frustration
Coz I couldn't join in with Text The Nation
But now my troubles have disappeared
Because retro text the nation's here
And now my letter might be read out
Instead of thrown in the trash
And forgotten about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZBfgyP1dY

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"
Post #: 1
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 14/1/2010 2:25:29 AM   
Gram123

Are they gone for good?
I've been very remiss and haven't listened to them for ages, but I've dilligently collected up the podcasts (i.e. when iTunes decided not to bother downloading them any more, I gave it a right telling).
I tink I have their last 40 or so podcasts to listen to

It'll be a shame if they're done altogether.

Have you seen these?:
Nutty Room video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDka-OqwtI
Ratatouille song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdQMziixmg

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 2
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 15/1/2010 6:30:33 PM   
Filmfan 2

I think Adam's off pursuing some acting thing at the moment, at least that's what I read in an interview with Joe last week. I don't think it's permanent.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 23/1/2010 1:18:13 AM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 19/1/2010 5:09:51 PM   
Gram123

Forgot about this thread... Adam Buxton is indeed acting, in a 6-part sitcom on BBC2 called The Persuasionists, about an advertising agency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pzlz6#synopsis

It co-stars Iain Lee (!), Simon Farnaby (Pie Face from The Mighty Boosh) and Daisy Haggard (Man Stroke Woman).
I watched episode 1 last week "Cockney Cheese", and it wasn't particularly funny. It's on BBC iPlayer, should anyone want to see it.

Ep 2 is on tomorrow night at 10pm, repeated on Monday night at 12.25.

Hope he goes back to the radio show after!

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 19/1/2010 5:14:28 PM >

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 4
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 19/1/2010 5:17:08 PM   
superdan

Adam and Joe were ace, definitely one of the best shows on the best radio station going at the moment. Why they had to go while George Lamb manages to remain is a mystery. This was inspired: Australia

< Message edited by superdan -- 19/1/2010 5:19:10 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 5
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 22/1/2010 10:53:18 AM   
Ste7enForever

They are fantastic! I think Joe is off filming Attack the Block, so I dont think they'll be gone for good but it might be a while before they are back. I do miss them, I've been listening back to the old podcasts recently and they are fucking hilarious.

www.facebook.com/deadevent - A zombie/wrestling movie what I (and loads infinitely more talented people) made...

http://www.loonybinforum.com/forum/index.php - A fun wrestling/ everything forum. Always looking for new members!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 22/1/2010 11:38:58 AM   
rick_7

I'm missing it too. I like to listen to Adam and Joe, but I listen to the podcast, not the live show. Have been listening Collings & Herrin relentlessly of late, though, to fill the gap. I like that a lot.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Ste7enForever)
Post #: 7
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 22/1/2010 3:54:47 PM   
TomTron

They have left a glorious hole in my weekly aural listening schedule. Does anybody know where I can download past pod casts? I only have 3 of their 12 Christmas pod casts.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 8
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 23/1/2010 1:52:37 AM   
Gram123

TomTron - PM sent. 

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 9
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 23/1/2010 1:47:04 PM   
TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

TomTron - PM sent.

I can't access my inbox! :

"500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed"

Nooooo!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 10
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 23/1/2010 2:00:58 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

TomTron - PM sent. 

I can't access my inbox! :

"500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed"

Nooooo!

You should be bal to access it if you're logged in but you have to enter the inbox from the link in your mail and not from this website! Its been like that for months so I doubt they'll ever fix it.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 11
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 23/1/2010 11:37:18 PM   
Gram123

Or, scroll up to the top of this page.
On the menu bar with black text on white background, you should see Forum Home, Log Off, My Subscription, Inbox, Address Book and so on.
Clicking that link to Inbox should take you to your PMs. Alternatively, if your logged in, open a new broswer window and paste in http://www.empireonline.com/forum/pm.asp

The problem is with the link in Your MyEmpire account > My Forum Inbox, which is slightly different. That one is http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/p_inbox.asp. It hasn't worked in a while, and they haven't got round to fixing it.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 23/1/2010 11:41:23 PM >

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 12
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 24/1/2010 7:41:21 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

"gayest little boys ever" 

http://boggins.posterous.com/the-gayest-boys-ever-award-goes-to-adamandjoe

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 13
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 25/1/2010 4:24:04 PM   
Alvin Stardust

The BBC has confirmed that A&J coming back eventually. Collings and Herrin are filling the Saturday 10-1 slot for the next five weeks, which will more than suffice.

"A coo, a coo, I just want you"

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 14
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 26/1/2010 11:19:22 PM   
maffew

I've been loving listening to their old stuff... for some reason I find Adams voice very reassuring, I'd like him to read me bed time stories. I think the radio show has them in their element - I'd much rather listen to that than watch their TV show, great as it was.. Doesn't hurt that the music they play is great, and they're hilarious...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Alvin Stardust)
Post #: 15
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 26/1/2010 11:28:33 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Aww Adam reading bedtime stories would be lovely.  Joe can sing a lullaby too.

I was listening to one of their christmas podcasts the other week and loved it when Joe was threatening to throw a book at Adam, and Adam was worried about it hurting so said "Throw it at my thighs"

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 16
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 26/2/2010 7:37:12 PM   
Filmfan 2

So I just heard the new that 6 music is amongst the casualties of the BBC's downsizing. When I first read the story, my immediate thought was 'Oh no, Adam and Joe!'

Terrible news. I hope the castle moves them to a new slot on another station, or that they find a home on the airwaves somewhere else. I don't know how I'll manage without The Nations Favourite Feature and all that that show contains. I laugh like a drain when listening to it.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 17
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 26/2/2010 8:00:00 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

It is indeed a black day.  Sign the petition! http://www.petition.fm/petitions/6musicasiannet/0/1/

I hate to think we might not hear them air their whiffles again. *sobs*

I know nothing at all about (good) music, and there are so many artists I've 'discovered' when listening to Adam and Joe.  I hate to think of all the music I'll be missing out on because all the other stations are wall to wall chart hits.  Oh woe.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 18
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 28/2/2010 10:40:21 AM   
superdan

I've had it with the BBC. When I think of all the repeats and shite and repeats of shite it broadcasts on tv, getting rid of high-quality US imports such as The Wire, and the muppet DJ's on Radio 1, now they are taking the best radio station in the country off the airwaves? No, that's it - fuck the BBC, I'm done with it.

Post #: 19
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 28/2/2010 11:01:50 AM   
sanchia

With Ross going from Radio 2 there should be a timeslot available there. Fingers crossed.....

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 28/2/2010 11:23:49 PM   
maffew

fingers crossed indeed.. I tried listening to collings and herrin - it's just not the same, I loved as it occurs to me, but as a replacement to adam and joe? No thanks.. What's that Nerd Army thing they do? It's black squadren but less good!!! I'll happily listen to seasons 1 2 and 3 of A+J instead.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 12:12:45 PM   
Alvin Stardust

The proposals to close 6 Music are not yet set in stone, they are subject to public consultation. E-mail the BBC Trust en masse.

In any case, the station's survival is guaranteed until the end of 2011.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 22
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 2:00:32 PM   
superdan

Well, I've done the little I can and sent emails to the BBC Trust. I only hope they show more intelligence and understanding about what the BBC is truly meant to represent and have the grace to discard this proposal for the nonsense it is. 6Music goes, but BBC3 remains? Give me strength... 

Post #: 23
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 2:36:32 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Well, I've done the little I can and sent emails to the BBC Trust. I only hope they show more intelligence and understanding about what the BBC is truly meant to represent and have the grace to discard this proposal for the nonsense it is. 6Music goes, but BBC3 remains? Give me strength... 

Why not just get rid of or combine Radio 3 and 4? I would have thought there'd be more of an audience for 6 music than either of those two, if that's what they're worried about.

To be honest, I don't have a DAB radio so this doesn't effect me so much. As long as I get to enjoy Adam and Joe in some capacity going forward I'll be happy.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 24
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 2:40:56 PM   
Alvin Stardust

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs
Why not just get rid of or combine Radio 3 and 4? I would have thought there'd be more of an audience for 6 music than either of those two, if that's what they're worried about.

Or why not get rid of 1Xtra? Does it do anything that R1 doesn't already do, in spades?

Post #: 25
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 2:47:59 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvin Stardust

quote:

Or why not get rid of 1Xtra? Does it do anything that R1 doesn't already do, in spades?

Good call. Maybe they're not getting rid of that because they're canning the Asian Network. Got to keep at least certain demographics happy and all that.

If you ask me I think all the radio stations need to be looked at in detail. Radio 1 I suppose has to stay because of its popularity and same for 5 Live. Why can't we look at Radio 2, 3, and 4 though in some effort to make room for a station like 6 music that surely deserves a wider audience than it currently gets? While we're at it why can't we combine R4 and R7? Aren't they almost the same sort of thing? The local stations could do with some refreshing too - I never listen to the local BBC station here, mainly because its on AM and its poop.

This seems like a last in first out scenario from the BBC. It won't want to upset the estabished viewpoint of the 5 main stations and the local set-up when that's exactly what they should be doing.

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

Post #: 26
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 3:05:53 PM   
superdan

Exactly. Scrap 1Xtra, merge Radio's 3 & 4, scrap BBC Parliament and BBC3 (). That'll probably save 150 million right there, and who exactly is going to give a shit? The fact that this moron thinks that 6Music is replicated by commercial stations while denying that Radio 1 & 2 are just shows that he knows fuck all about music. Tosser.

Post #: 27
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 2/3/2010 4:23:52 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvin Stardust

quote:

Yep, tonnes of stuff. Dancehall, drum & bass, garage, dedicated hip-hop shows, and much more besides - all at accessible times rather than the 3am shows Radio 1 listeners used to be grudgingly treated to.

quote:

If you ask me I think all the radio stations need to be looked at in detail. Radio 1 I suppose has to stay because of its popularity and same for 5 Live. Why can't we look at Radio 2, 3, and 4 though in some effort to make room for a station like 6 music that surely deserves a wider audience than it currently gets? While we're at it why can't we combine R4 and R7?

Radio 7 runs repeats of Radio 4 shows - often from quite a long way back. I can't imagine it costs much and it would be impossible to merge without seriously compromising the new material aired on Radio 4. It's probably a case of scrapping it and making the archives available online or keeping it as it is.

Radio 2 get huge listening figures and generally caters to a different, older audience than Radio 1. It serves a purpose. Radio 4 has a lot of junk on it but still represents the second-best news coverage in the country (behind the World Service) and acts as a launching pad for a vast amount of exceptional new talent.

Radio 3 is very expensive but has a very dedicated listenership and does stuff the commercial sector will never replicate. If we're going to have any provision for serious classical music in the UK, it has to stay.

BBC3 should be scrapped immediately though.

The amount of money saved by killing 6 Music is minimal. It's a gesture, not a solution to a long-term problem. Slash the budget, get rid of the big-name DJs and run it on a shoestring and it'll actually improve. At the moment, it's a lazy retread of XFM / Radio 1 B-list during the day and quite interesting at night. They need to refocus on providing stuff that nobody else is offering.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

Post #: 28
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 10/3/2010 12:48:42 PM   
JessFranco

Magnificent argument from the BBC's CEO Caroline Thomson on 6 Music's closure. The gist of it is that the people who listen to the station have an average age of 37 and people who have an average age of 37 are well catered to by the private sector. Doesn't matter if you're 37 and want to hear Keane or 37 and want to listen to Sunn O))), you're 37, damn it, and should be listening to Virgin.

Popjustice has a good defence of Radio One as well.

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4521&Itemid=206

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 29
RE: I miss Adam and Joe! - 23/4/2010 11:17:02 PM   
Gram123

Y'all might already be aware of this, but if not, since the Adam & Joe podcasts ceased (aside from the recent "Easter Egg" / best of episodes), Adam Buxton has started his own (solo) podcast.
I haven't listened to any of the episodes yet (still got about 45 Adam & Joe ones to listen to), but I've been dutifully downloading them. I think he's done 3 so far. Search for it on iTunes!

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 23/4/2010 11:22:50 PM >

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> I miss Adam and Joe! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI