Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Very good. But not great!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Very good. But not great! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very good. But not great! - 5/2/2010 2:12:47 PM   
pazza

A superb film, and one of the best I've seen for a while, surpassing The Motorcycle Diaries and The Lives Of Others IMO. I do have one general question - did anyone notice that part way through the film, some of the dialogue became quite tinny, but the rest of the soundtrack sounded ok? I think it was the cinema system/recording myself, as some deep humming sound was also heard, as if one of the speakers had gone funny? 

< Message edited by pazza -- 5/2/2010 2:13:12 PM >

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

(in reply to Annihilate Now!)
Post #: 31
RE: Very good. But not great! - 5/2/2010 2:22:58 PM   
tftrman

Can't say I noticed I'm afraid.

Does anyone know if the French dvd/blu ray has English subtitles as an option? I can't find the information and my French is practically non-existent.

(in reply to pazza)
Post #: 32
- 6/2/2010 12:05:17 AM   
TheGodfather

Seen in cinema last night:

Un Prophète (A Prophet)
In 2005 French director Jacques Audiard got much praise for his crime thriller "De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté"(The Beat That My Heart Skipped). Now, well over 4 years later, he`s back with the brilliant Un Prophète - earning him a Best Foreign Language Oscar nomation. And rightly so.
It happens quite some times that a film gets great reviews unanimously but dissapoints after all (see Gomorrah). Luckily though, that isn`t the case here. Audiard`s newest delivers on all expectations and dissapoint in one single area.

We meet Malik (a brilliant performance by Tahar Rahim, who carries the film without problems), a young guy who has to do a 6-year term in prison. On his first day in, he gets robbed of his shoes and gets beaten.
A prison gang of Corsicans offers to protect him, on the condition that he murders an other Arab inmate. If he doesn`t he`ll be killed himself. Of course he accepts and kills the men. Slowly but surely he gets higher in the prison gang picking order, even though he doesn`t really wants to be involved in the violent prison culture, just to be able to survive his six years.

The story in itself has been told before: the rise of the young and navie kid into the hard crime world who subsequently grows to big hights. A Prophet though is different than all those other films because of the way the story is brought to the screen.
The prison life is not romantised, we as the audience are witness of the hard world where they don`t have any sympathy with each other at all. Overall, the film is mainly covered in a grey colour pallet. Only in the moments where Malik is in his cell by himself the film has a warm, gold-like colour. Audiard shows us that Malik is a réal person, someone who isn`t yet lost and deep down inside still is a good person.
During the film`s running time this get ever clearer. Even

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
Confusing Empire review - 9/2/2010 12:51:30 AM   
sundance0611

Hmm - the empire review totally jars with the four star rating and the verdict. Andrew Male seems lukewarm in his response to the film - judging it to be confused and unable to keep it's threads going and that Audiard is in over his head. A clear 2 or 3 star review. Did the editor pull rank? Because surely he would have to after viewing something so masterful as this film.

Audiard came to my attention with the sublime The Beat My Heart Skipped and just like that film he has inspired a performance of the highest order from his young star as well as seamlessly guiding us through the labyrinthian plot and plot subversions with a daring calm and patience. We learn as Malik learns. A hapless, lost teenager is caught up in situation after situation with seemingly no control and as he improvises we are left to feel as confused and bewildered as he does until he slowly, like us, starts to find his footing. Rarely felt so unsettled and ambiguous towards a character's development while simultaneously empathising and rooting for him.

An extraordinary study of power and tribalism and the randomness of achieving survival. The supposedly 'confused' plotting serves to engulf us in a visceral and very real experience - devoid of the neatness served to us in your regular multi-stranded storyline. Fresh, brutal, with moments of humanity sprinkled here and there - his awe in the plane, bathing his feet in the ocean, buying the playstation - and then punctuated by scenes of raw violence intermingled with deeply affecting human relationships. A true gem. Embrace the confusion like you are Malik, like you are fighting your way towards power with little clue about what you're doing. Then this film will come alive and guide you erringly towards its triumphant pay off. Stunning.

< Message edited by sundance0611 -- 9/2/2010 12:55:14 AM >

Post #: 34
- 10/2/2010 4:56:53 PM   
Malpertuis

Brutal, ultra-modern, spectacular prison epic in which a timid young prisoner develops into a shrewd crime boss. One of the films of the year.

Post #: 35
Very, very good - 11/2/2010 1:44:01 PM   
Workshed

A great crime epic which is up there with the greats of the prison thriller genre. Rahim gives a fantastic understated performance as a young crook rising up the ranks, reminiscent of a young Al Pacino in The Godfather. Arestrup was sufficiently menacing as the Corsican mobster - who ever thought Anthony Worrell Thompson could be so evil?!.
After a gritty and sometimes grueling 2.5 hours, I left the cinema feeling strangely uplifted. I was unfamiliar with Jacques Audiard work but will make an effort to look at his back catalogue.

To summarise, it's a fine addition to the crime cinema.

Post #: 36
RE: Very good. But not great! - 27/2/2010 11:16:18 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Only reason this didn't get full marks from me is that I sometimes lost track of who was dealing (and double dealing) with who, but otherwise an astounding piece of cinema, I didn't notice the running time at all which prove how rivetting I found it.

I got a little bit lost in the inter-relations between the gangs the 1st time round as well, and that inspired me to see it a second time round yesterday. Do give it another viewing because not only did I fully understand what was properly going on the second time round, I loved the film even more - honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw a better film at the cinema, truly stunning stuff.....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 37
RE: Very good. But not great! - 22/3/2010 6:33:56 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really enjoyed the film, but I do feel the 'prophet' scenes and Reyeb's flashbacks seemed a tad shoehorned in. That, or other stuff was heavily deleted.

However apart from this, it was a very good film although I wish Malik had ditched his Borat-esque mustache.

I had initial reservations about the Reyeb scenes and the allusion to Malik's prophetic faculties but the over-arching fact is that the concern of religious mysticism is felt very important to its origin.  It's a motif that Audiard most likely inherited from the early script and kept for his rewrite.  It's already been pointed out on this thread that the story is an allegory for the legend of Mohammed (subjugated to the point of slavery by one marauding tribe to rise from within and unite all the disparate).  That's not to say that the film itself needs to be so illustrative of its meta.  I personally don't think it requires it.  But the Reyeb scenes do something else, which is to internalise a brutal murder as this character's catalyst.  We're not to presume that he's somehow forgiven by the victim.  That would be stupid.  But we can infer that this is something which has remained indelible on his soul.  It's a means of showing him in a state of introspection – from an  unrefined character (certainly at the beginning) who wouldn't necessarily have the capacity for philosophising his deed - and prolonged remorse would grate  I think its worth this possibly incongruous feature if it humanises someone we're pretty much grafted to for two and a half hours of grit. 

I'd have to agree with that. Reyeb's presence (to me at least) signified Malik's internalised guilt. He doesn't regret what he did, but it continues to gnaw away at him. Moreover, there is a dark, almost twisted wit in these scenes: most deliciously realised as smoke billows from Reyeb's neck wound as a he draws on a cigarette. He isn't there to merely creep out Malik, he's mocking him too. Mocking his reliance on and servitude to the Corsicans and drawing out the sense that he has betrayed his own people.

I had no idea about the links to the life of Mohammed, however, that would seem to tie in with a number of religious references throughout the film (most obviously the sufi inspired whirling).

A Prophet is a fine film. I have also been disappointed with recent Euro crime flicks such as Mesrine and Il Divo. Both very stylish, but ultimately superficial. What most impresses about A Prophet is the depth of character evoked. Malik is an uttlerly believable being and while Audiard does  not overtly push him as a sympathetic figure it is hard to root against him and at times to genuinely care as to what will become of this ramshackle hood. A Prophet also works as a study of prison life and how prison can corrupt a seemingly decent person through its depravity and harshness of regime. And it achieves this without any overt points or inspirational speeches.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 38
A Prophet - 27/4/2010 11:51:42 AM   
Soprano168

Jacques Audiard has reinvented the gangster movie from scratch from an unusual perspective. Violent, gripping and a tour de force performance from Tahar Rahim. This is well worth the hype and then some.

Post #: 39
Great - 10/5/2010 6:18:18 PM   
Bighousewill

Really good but it seems he might actually be prophet especially as in one scene he predicts the movements of other prisoners with the help of the ghost of Reyab (is it his imagination?) in another scene he seems to know when a dear is about to hit the car he is in and then is proclaimed a prophet by the man who was nearly going to kill him, this is slightly baffleing.

Post #: 40
A Prophet - 14/6/2010 1:16:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This gets five stars from me, the central performance by Tahar Rahim really is reminiscent of an early Robert De Niro and is such a powerful and accomplished achievement the film almost can't fail because of it. Plus there is so much tension in the story because of the prison environment and the various pressures Malik is under that the combination of the two make you understand why it got so many plaudits.

Chuck in some harrowing brutality and a brilliant prison boss in Niels Arestrup and once again a foreign film makes a joke of the Oscars as it's shunted into a separate category. It can easily compete with the best of anything the english speaking world comes up with and deserves to go up against Hollywood's products on it's own terms.

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 41
RE: A Prophet - 17/6/2010 3:46:31 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Absolutley fan"fucking"tastic a truly great film which not only should've picked up best foreign oscar but should've been nominated for & won best picture. & as for Tahar Rahim what a brekout performance shame he gets beat out at Baftas for rising star by Twighlights little miss sunshine BOY IS SHE A MISSERABLE COW!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 42
RE: A Prophet - 17/6/2010 4:40:34 PM   
MOTH

caugth up with this in amongst all the footy. All the usual elements of the prison drama are present and correct, but assembled in confident, stylish fashion to produce a gritty and realistic film, albeit one with semi-mystical overtones. Best of all is the terrific acting by Tamar Rahim, a performance which brings to mind a young de Niro, or even a young Craig Doyle before his move to Grandstand. Also enjoyed the unusual version of Mack the Knife over the end sequence. Very good (8/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 43
An instant classic - 28/6/2010 10:36:51 PM   
soulfood

A modern French crime epic for 2010 & one of best movies i have.Seen from French In some time.

Post #: 44
RE: Five Stars - 3/7/2010 10:13:05 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Absolutely outstanding. It pains me to see the masses queuing for the likes of Avatar or Sherlock Holmes, when genuine greatness is on display in the same building. Truly wonderful, and the best film of the last ten years after There Will Be Blood.

Surely A Prophet is set apart from such blockbuster fare though? Nothing wrong with a bit of Avatar and Sherlock Holmes IMO the later of which I enjoyed more as a film experiance than this over rated crime yarn. Yep it's good, very good in fact but as I said to a friend who enquired about the film's quality 'It's nothing you havent seen before and done better'. Good. Not great.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 45
RE: Five Stars - 3/7/2010 11:50:39 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Absolutely outstanding. It pains me to see the masses queuing for the likes of Avatar or Sherlock Holmes, when genuine greatness is on display in the same building. Truly wonderful, and the best film of the last ten years after There Will Be Blood.

Surely A Prophet is set apart from such blockbuster fare though? Nothing wrong with a bit of Avatar and Sherlock Holmes IMO the later of which I enjoyed more as a film experiance than this over rated crime yarn. Yep it's good, very good in fact but as I said to a friend who enquired about the film's quality 'It's nothing you havent seen before and done better'. Good. Not great.

Name the film that does what A Prophet does, and does it better. Name it. I've heard that bullshit argument thrown out on more than one occasion, yet not one person can name a film that does what A Prophet does better than how A Prophet does. So yes, put me right, back up your argument.

To be honest, and this isn't meant as being snarky, but judging by your taste based on your signature (in which you gave this film the same star rating as Outlander and Sex And The City, and one less star than New Moon!!) I don't think that A Prophet is your sort of thing.

And why should A Prophet be set apart from the average blockbuster? I saw Avatar, Sherlock Holmes and A Prophet in the same multiplex, within a few weeks of other (with the two blockbusters still showing when A Prophet was released), so it was a natural observation and point to make. It does pain me to think that people would rather see some gimmicky sci-fi cliché-fest, or a Guy Ritchie film over one of the greatest films of the 21st Century, whats the problem with that?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 3/7/2010 11:52:06 PM >

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 46
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 10:33:42 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Ok. I'll back myself up. What I meant by that comment was I found the arc the main lad goes through very similar to other crime / gangster flicks in so far as he starts out as a nobody and climbs the ladder. Now what I was getting at when I said it's been done better was that at times I thought the flick dragged that's all. I never said it was shit, just I felt it went on a bit.

Also, I know you never meant to be snarky but what you dont know about my film taste can fill a book. I'll watch anything, which is why I saw A Prophet in the first place right after Outlander and Sex and The City. Should I have thrown in a few more wold cinema classics in my list there for my opinion to be taken seriously?

As for it being set apart I just meant they are differenty types of films. Family films mate is all I meant, mum and dad are hardly gonna bring the kids out to see A Prophet are they?

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 4/7/2010 10:38:26 AM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 47
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:18:28 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

As for it being set apart I just meant they are differenty types of films. Family films mate is all I meant, mum and dad are hardly gonna bring the kids out to see A Prophet are they?

And thats why I didn't make any mention of families or children seeing the film. The comment was aimed at the tens of thousands of 18 year olds + that chose SH and Avatar over A Prophet.

Post #: 48
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:20:33 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Also, I know you never meant to be snarky but what you dont know about my film taste can fill a book. I'll watch anything, which is why I saw A Prophet in the first place right after Outlander and Sex and The City. Should I have thrown in a few more wold cinema classics in my list there for my opinion to be taken seriously?

Well yes, if you had A Prophet compared to something like, say City Of God, or The Godfather then I would obviously take your opinion more seriously, but, and this is by using your own scoring system, putting A Prophet next to Sex and the City was never going to do it (your opinion) any favours.

Post #: 49
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:23:24 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Ok. I'll back myself up. What I meant by that comment was I found the arc the main lad goes through very similar to other crime / gangster flicks in so far as he starts out as a nobody and climbs the ladder. Now what I was getting at when I said it's been done better was that at times I thought the flick dragged that's all. I never said it was shit, just I felt it went on a bit.

Name a film then!! Thats all I ask. Nobody can name a film that does what A Prophet does as well, in spite of that being the general negative remark thrown at it. The whole use of that as an opinion on the film just strikes me as a people being negatively reactionary to the film for the sake of it.

(PS Apologies if these comments come off as anything other than banter mate, as thats all they're intended as).

Post #: 50
RE: A Prophet - 4/7/2010 11:31:53 AM   
adambatman82

For the record, I'm not claiming that A Prophet is the greatest crime drama of all time, merely that it isn't as stereotypical as some think. I'm a big fan of French incarceration cinema, which is a surprisingly healthy sub-genre, and one that traces the core roots and ideals of France's national cinema rather nicely, which in turn acta as a genre indicative of the developments and changes of France as a nation quite nicely over the past seventy years or so. I consider A Prophet to be more in the vein of Robert Bresson's Pickpocket than any other film (the comparisons to Scarface are not only misleading, but downright confusing), with the spirituality aspect of Bresson's film nicely given a spin with the whole "allusions to Muhammad" angle of Audiard's take on the genre.

Post #: 51
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:36:27 AM   
The REAL Bozz

No I know, I just didn't want you thinking I took the film lightly. I do think it's a good film!

Erm as for nameing a film - setting myself up to be shot here - I was thinking along the terms of Goodfella's and The Departed is so far as all I meant when I made the comment to my mate about seeing it done better before was the shared plot point these films have of the young guy doing work for the older gangster figure and getting deeper into the wolrd etc. I know that's only one of the themes A Prophet has.

Yep, as you said it probably just wasn't my cup of tea. I went into the flick being assaulted by the HUGHE praise it's been given so maybe my expectations were OTT? It wasn't what I was expecting.

See I'd have said Romanzo - Crime Novel - was similar to other genre flicks but I still enjoyed that more so than A Prophet just due to the pace and the characters etc.

I guess it's just a case of different beats for different peeps buddy

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 52
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 4:34:44 PM   
ElephantBoy

Count me in as one who got a bit lost at times with the different gangs, also didn't think the rockn'roll music belonged in the middle, it took me out of the drama a little.

However this is on my birthday list, for me it was a very invertive way to the kind of story that has been done loads of times before.  It was gritty, stylish, and fantasically well acted.  Just as a film it is so discplined, and carefully crafted.  It does deserve its place as a landmark film in this genre, its just that I've yet to be convinced of it as a master piece.

Post #: 53
RE: A Prophet - 4/7/2010 7:00:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Absolutley fan"fucking"tastic a truly great film which not only should've picked up best foreign oscar but should've been nominated for & won best picture. & as for Tahar Rahim what a brekout performance shame he gets beat out at Baftas for rising star by Twighlights little miss sunshine BOY IS SHE A MISSERABLE COW!

I think she was embarassed to receive it because all the Twi-fans fuck up the voting and she knows she doesn't really deserve it on merit compared to some of the other stuff going on. That said she is a good actress.

I'm with Adambatman on this - A Prophet is an instant classic

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 54
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 7:28:42 PM   
Deviation

quote:

See I'd have said Romanzo - Crime Novel - was similar to other genre flicks but I still enjoyed that more so than A Prophet just due to the pace and the characters etc.

Romanzo Criminale was pants though, saying it is better than A Prophet is pretty damning for the French film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 55
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:42:20 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Now wouldn't be the best time to say I just got back from Eclipse...and thought it was more entertaining than A Prophet. It's ok. I'm going.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 56
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:48:12 PM   
Deviation

That says more on you though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 57
RE: Five Stars - 4/7/2010 11:54:35 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Give a shit

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 58
RE: Five Stars - 5/7/2010 1:22:08 AM   
adambatman82

I didn't realise you were a chick BOZZ... Suddenly everything makes much more sense.

Post #: 59
RE: Five Stars - 5/7/2010 10:13:53 AM   
The REAL Bozz

If I am...there's somthing very wrong....(I'm not)

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Very good. But not great! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI