Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Halo: Reach

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Halo: Reach Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:51:22 AM   
kata

Went from "omg this is the most amazing thing ever" to "right this is really infuriating" back to "i dont ever wanna play another game".
Don't mean the server problems, i expected that.  Sometimes events conspire to really piss me off, that's not Reach's fault though.

Bit late to go into details but i had a good session and loved it.  Been a Halo fan since combat evolved so i think its safe to say if you're a Halo fan you'll like it.

Few shots from my fileshare:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=ryujyn&sg=0#cid26069

All my screenshots.  If anyone tells you this game looks shit ram those down their throat 
Might initially underwhelm you when compared to Halo 3 but after a while the details really start to shine through.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 61
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 8:46:15 AM   
Chief

After an hour and a half download I finally got a couple of games last night. Found it tough to start but once I got into the swing of things I quite enjoyed it. Headhunter is a blast.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 62
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 9:44:49 AM   
the anomaly

Yet again it seems to be frozen. This time at 52%. How long is the beta running for? 

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 63
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 11:19:17 AM   
Chief

Until the 16th or 19th - something like that. Your download might have finished by then.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 64
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 12:13:09 PM   
britesparc

I had a couple of hours on this last night, and I loved it. 

The armour upgrades offer a new style of tactical play, which even with my limited ability and brief play-time I managed to exploit.  Going invisible when guarding a flag, just to pop a cap in the back of an enemy's head when they think they're home free, is great fun.

I also love the grittier, industrial aesthetic, especially on the weapons.  And the subtle visual effects, such as the grain filter when you get hurt, as if the SPARTAN's helmet screen is damaged.

I didn't experience too many lag-related problems, either: a five-ten minute spell of it not being able to find a server, and some long load times, but nothing too bad, considering it's only a beta. 

Anyway, great fun.  Hope I've got time to play it again tonight.

Although it was quite funny when my wife came in.  "It looks exactly like Halo," she said.  "Well, durr," said I, or words to that effect.  Then, referring to my pre-ordering the Legendary edition, she said, "I can't believe you've paid a hundred quid for a game you already own."  "I game I already own but with jetpacks!" I replied.

< Message edited by britesparc -- 4/5/2010 12:15:58 PM >

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 65
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 2:39:24 PM   
thepluginbaby

Just had a couple of games. Servers seem to be okay, I guess most of America is asleep at the moment anyway.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 66
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 2:48:12 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Until the 16th or 19th - something like that. Your download might have finished by then.

No it actually worked that time! I got into a game right away too. Just about to dip into it now. First impressions ... I thought it looked OK. I quite enjoyed using the camo perk. The new battle rifle thing is good for shooting stuff. Jet Pack ... I like.

Once everyone is sorted we should have a REACH night ... How about this Friday?! EMPIRE ... HALO REACH ... WOOT!?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 67
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:03:46 PM   
Chief

I'll up for that. Had a LAN party organised but that's went kind of tits up so I'm free.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 68
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:10:01 PM   
kata

I'd be up for that too, not quite sure how it'd work with it only being 4 on 4 though.  

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 69
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:20:15 PM   
Chief

I think they release the Invasion game type on Friday - Elites against Spartans, 3 v 3 domination type afair. Should be fun.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 70
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:23:44 PM   
target

I love assassinating people with those cool take downs! especially when you can here there reactions.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 71
RE: Halo: Reach - 4/5/2010 3:31:36 PM   
kata

Being assassinated then teabagged while listening to your teabagger tell you  that "you love it" 

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 72
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 2:38:45 PM   
sroey

I quite like this beta - but after coming from BC2 to this, I feel a little underwhelmed. Its a solid mulitplayer experience but I just wish there was more variety. All I can see 2 maps and a few different game modes. I know its a beta but I guess I was expecting large scale battles. 4 on 4 is not exactly epic. Am I missing something?

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 73
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 2:55:33 PM   
Chief

No. I'm a little fed up of it as well.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 74
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 2:58:24 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey
I know its a beta but I guess I was expecting large scale battles. 4 on 4 is not exactly epic. Am I missing something?

It's a different kind of epic.  It's jetpacking over a building to find 2 enemy on the roof , dropping down behind them and killing them both with 1 grav hammer swing (happened last night) epic.  Entirely different beast to BFBC2.  Final game is only going to be 8 on 8, was hoping for larger battles too but i can live with that. 

Looking forward to invasion on friday, mix things up a little.  Been getting shit on in the Arena.  Got a 1400 rating, no idea if that's good or bad though.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 75
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 3:04:23 PM   
Chief

I'll give Invasion a crack and make a decision then whether to hang onto my X-box or punt it. TBH I can't see me hanging onto it for 6 months for the release of Reach anyway.

Wonder how many copies of ODST will get traded in the next couple of weeks?

< Message edited by Chief -- 5/5/2010 3:05:11 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 76
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 3:12:40 PM   
kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lImmAYeXx4&playnext_from=TL&videos=0oXqbWVkyvk

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 77
RE: Halo: Reach - 5/5/2010 10:04:49 PM   
target

I just lost five games in a row! Grrrr. Then got my first killing frenzy in the next game. Im really liking it so far, it does get a bit dull with only two maps, but come friday i should be sorted, Boneyard is supposed to be Huge!!

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 78
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 1:10:29 AM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

It's a different kind of epic.  It's jetpacking over a building to find 2 enemy on the roof , dropping down behind them and killing them both with 1 grav hammer swing (happened last night) epic. 

Really starting to enjoy it now, hope invasion is as awesome as it sounds 

Couple more:

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 79
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 12:33:45 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

quote:

I know its a beta but I guess I was expecting large scale battles. 4 on 4 is not exactly epic. Am I missing something?

It's a different kind of epic.  It's jetpacking over a building to find 2 enemy on the roof , dropping down behind them and killing them both with 1 grav hammer swing (happened last night) epic.  Entirely different beast to BFBC2.  Final game is only going to be 8 on 8, was hoping for larger battles too but i can live with that. 

Looking forward to invasion on friday, mix things up a little.  Been getting shit on in the Arena.  Got a 1400 rating, no idea if that's good or bad though.

Yeah I wasnt expecting it to be like BC2 but after all the hype and build up I just found the lack of variety a little underwhelming. I think I more of a teamwork type of guy. I have heard good things about the boneyard map so hopefully this will be good.

Yeah sometimes I do ok in the Arena - other times I am crap!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 80
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 12:58:16 PM   
MBeard

I'm still unsure. I loved Halo 2 more than life itself then Halo 3 didn't hold me as much. I've recently converted to MW2 so going back to this was tough - and it plays totally differently. I miss the old BR and the old weapons.

I'm not sure. I'll give it the duration of the beta but at the moment I don't feel it looks promising.

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 81
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 1:05:10 PM   
chilipenguin

The beta is quite good but its suffers from Halo's snail speed. For a shooter, it is unbelievable slow. If you get caught short you can't run for cover in most situations. The scout class is a good idea but even it seems really slow, more like what should be a standard sprint function for any of the loadouts. That said, I really like the jetpack (apart from the invisible ceilings) and the new game modes seem fun. 

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 82
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 1:22:12 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

The beta is quite good but its suffers from Halo's snail speed. For a shooter, it is unbelievable slow. If you get caught short you can't run for cover in most situations. The scout class is a good idea but even it seems really slow, more like what should be a standard sprint function for any of the loadouts. That said, I really like the jetpack (apart from the invisible ceilings) and the new game modes seem fun. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head there - a few times I tried to run from an attacker (especially if ambushed from behind ) and its nigh on impossible to find cover. You either have to turn and hope you have a powerful weapon and take him out or accept death. Its a bit jarring. Its more a series of one on one duels - especially if you have the default weapon. Its a case of who attacked first normally wins.

Saying all that I found myself strangely addicted...weird!

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 83
RE: Halo: Reach - 6/5/2010 1:45:27 PM   
chilipenguin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

I think you have hit the nail on the head there - a few times I tried to run from an attacker (especially if ambushed from behind ) and its nigh on impossible to find cover. You either have to turn and hope you have a powerful weapon and take him out or accept death. Its a bit jarring. Its more a series of one on one duels - especially if you have the default weapon. Its a case of who attacked first normally wins.

Saying all that I found myself strangely addicted...weird!

Glad I'm not the only one to think this. Halo is primarily a run and gun kind of shooter so I think it is a glaring oversight by Bungie to continue to neglect the speed of the game. It would be fine if it was more about strategy or stealth but for a genetically engineered super-soldier who can jump 10 feet in the air, a light jog around the map is daft.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 84
RE: Halo: Reach - 7/5/2010 1:54:45 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

I just found the lack of variety a little underwhelming.

It is a beta to be fair. As far as I know Bungie have always been great with supporting Halo after launch. With new maps, playmodes and random events I'm sure Reach will be well supported also.

quote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there - a few times I tried to run from an attacker (especially if ambushed from behind ) and its nigh on impossible to find cover.

Of all the shooters I've played I can't think of any that can stop you getting blind sided. If you get attacked from right from behind ... well there's not much you can do. Infact at least you've got the armour lock on this for just such occassions.

quote:

Its a case of who attacked first normally wins.

I'd say that's true of most shooters. If you've taken a shot to the head and just noticed your foe chances are they will finish you off first. Again I'd argue for Halo on this yet again. At least you have the overshield which can give you a chance to survive, go for the head shots and save yourself. If you were in the same situation in CoD ... well you'd probaly be dead from that first headshot. I'd say that's one of the big differences between how something that's trying to be realistic like CoD and Halo differ. Though on a similar note I'm not sure why Bungie seem intent on bringing back the health pack system. Just like ODST I found them hard to spot and a bit pointless.

I agree about some form of run function though. The scouter class just felt useless after awhile. A simple burst of speed from pressing down on the left stick seems to be the best option. I also thought the Gears of War type roll the Elites can do ... was a bit odd. Maybe it would just take some getting used to. But did that really need to recharge too?

I've not played the beta much yet. I've had a few games. It didn't blow me away on my first play. But I've gradually enjoyed it more as I've gone on. I'll admit when I heard they were adding the Jetpacks ... it didn't sit well with me. I'd always hated the low gravity levels on games like Quake, Doom etc way back when. I just didn't think it would be a good idea. But I'm pleased to say it works quite well. As I mentioned before I think the scout class is the weakest. The new guns seem quite focused on getting people to actually try to aim. Which is a good thing I think. The graphics are decent. I'm hoping to see a lot more variety etc in the story mode though. The maps I thought were good. I didn't like the indoor level at first. But it's quite good for capture the flag etc. The design of the outdoor level is quite tight. Quite a lot of cover in various areas. The takedowns ... not sure whats going on with them. I've only had one or two. Ermmm so far so good I'd say.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 7/5/2010 1:56:55 AM >

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 85
RE: Halo: Reach - 7/5/2010 6:05:27 AM   
directorscut

Hallelujah!  Non-recharging health! A Halo game where frag grenades do damage! 

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 86
RE: Halo: Reach - 7/5/2010 8:45:55 AM   
chilipenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Hallelujah!  Non-recharging health! A Halo game where frag grenades do damage! 

Yeah, I noticed this too. Actually gotten some grenade kills on purpose for the first time in Halo (apart from the plasma grenades).

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

I'd say that's true of most shooters. If you've taken a shot to the head and just noticed your foe chances are they will finish you off first. Again I'd argue for Halo on this yet again. At least you have the overshield which can give you a chance to survive, go for the head shots and save yourself. If you were in the same situation in CoD ... well you'd probaly be dead from that first headshot. I'd say that's one of the big differences between how something that's trying to be realistic like CoD and Halo differ.

I agree with what you are saying, but there are certain situations in COD that you are able to simply run away if confronted whilst hurt. I know it's not exactly the most heroic of plans but I find running away to be staking a claim on the moral victory of the match. In Halo, once you are engaged in a battle, it can prove tricky to run away.

I'm not a coward...

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 87
RE: Halo: Reach - 7/5/2010 8:58:49 AM   
kata

Invasion tonight!

As for the run away issue i think it's easier to run for cover in Halo.  Unless you get caught at close range, in which case there are several ways to get boned.

Not a lot of people know that with the most powerful non-power weapons (pistol and DMR) it takes 5 shots to kill.  The first 4 it doesnt matter where you put them, they are for taking down shields, the 5th needs to be a headshot for optimum efficiency (think it takes 4 for shields 5 for armor otherwise, 9 overall).  9 out of 10 times when you come up against someone they just open up as quickly as possible until  you're dead.  The amount of times I've took a bit of cover, composed myself, placed my shots and killed a very aggressive attacker is more than i can count.  Very very fun when you get in a rhythm.

It's really grew on me, the past 2 nights are the most fun I've had with a Halo game since Halo 1,  I'm a little gutted we'll have to wait another 6 months for the main release 

< Message edited by kata -- 7/5/2010 9:06:08 AM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 88
RE: Halo: Reach - 7/5/2010 7:50:35 PM   
kata

Invasion is live 

Cant play it till later

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 89
RE: Halo: Reach - 8/5/2010 3:13:26 AM   
kata

Had a good few games on Invasion, liking it a lot more than grab bag and arena.  Boneyard is a pretty amazing map too.

Nice to see the return of the warthog 

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Halo: Reach Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI