Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Needs to be appreciated

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Needs to be appreciated Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Needs to be appreciated - 9/4/2010 12:40:04 PM   
djphilips

This is a film which you will watch once and never want to again. Don't take this the wrong way, though, beacuse The Road is actually a very good film. It's just that once you've seen it you understand all that it has to say and won't be tempted to give it another look.
Joe Penhall's writing is amazingly effective and will have you thinking for days, while Hillcoat's efforts ultimately create an experience which will stay with you more than you will want it to. The acting is flawless. Both Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee BECOME father and son. They are utterly perfect, and The Road wouldn't be the fine film it is without them.
If I had to decribe this film in one word, it would be 'powerful'. Capable filmmaking which you will want to check out.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Needs to be appreciated - 16/4/2010 11:12:49 PM   
Jasper_29

Something extroardinary happened while watching this film; from an audience of about twenty when the end credits rolled we were the only ones still watching, everyone else had walked out. Much about The Road appears to be quality, from the custume and set design to some of the performances and a couple of very impressive visual effects. It's also one of those films where an hour in you have no idea what has to happen before it ends, because there isn't really a story to speak of. It consist mostly of a dozen almost effective set-pieces but without any sense of time, place or character to bind them toghether. Charlize Theron is wasted, the kid is annoying as hell and Viggo Mortensen is just okay. Bleak, depressing and more than a little pointless, I wouldn't recommend The Road to anyone I know.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to djphilips)
Post #: 62
RE: Needs to be appreciated - 17/4/2010 12:08:16 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper_29

Something extroardinary happened while watching this film; from an audience of about twenty when the end credits rolled we were the only ones still watching, everyone else had walked out.

The Road is still showing in cinemas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 63
RE: Needs to be appreciated - 17/4/2010 4:06:34 PM   
Jasper_29

Well I'm in Holland, where blockbusters are mostly released days before the US and Indie and Disney films a few months later...

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 64
RE: Needs to be appreciated - 17/4/2010 7:35:20 PM   
Deviation

Oh ok.*

*And I hope your audience suffers greatly for the way they treated this film.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 65
The Road - 27/4/2010 11:34:37 AM   
Soprano168

The Road is about as depressing as they come but the film is the book. Its a brilliant film as it is a book. The horror is horrific but their are moments of profound beauty. The film is frequently upsetting but it certainly offers the prospect of redemption.

Post #: 66
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 12:45:08 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I watched this last night and to be honest I was a little dissapointed. As said in other posts the acting is fantastic, Mortenson and the kid are fantastic as are supporting players such as Duvall and Michael K Williams. It's also a strangely beautiful.

However. it's just so fucking grim. There are no moments of levity at all. In the end I felt it was somehow less than the sum of it's parts..The pacing is a little uneven but that is forgivable and there is no plot to speak of really but again it is a character driven piece so that is not detrimental to the movie. I can't quite put my finger on why I was a little underwhelmed..

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Soprano168)
Post #: 67
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 3:00:05 PM   
Deviation

Because you are wrong and the film is great. See, easy answer.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 68
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 3:15:35 PM   
adambatman82

We should have another discussion about why something being depressing doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 69
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 3:44:39 PM   
Deviation

In The Road it fits, it deals about the decline of society and morals (and maybe even the fears of a father to leave his son alone in the cruel world), I can hardly see why something like that should be light. 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 70
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 5:11:02 PM   
kenada_woo

I didnt find it depressing personally.....I found it to be quite optimistic for some strange reason due to the end.

Sure it is a grim film, but the ending to be felt like there was still a little bit of hope and SPOILERS his son is going to be looked after.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

Post #: 71
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 10:53:03 PM   
Deviation

I agree with that, the final few minutes were hardly the outright bleakness of Threads.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 72
RE: The Road - 16/5/2010 11:02:21 PM   
Ethanial

finished it for a second time today, interesting blu ray, not amazing.
Kinda disappointed this time, the fade to blacks became too often, and it felt a tad too episodic, like you can turn it off and jump in on another chapter later. Shame, was one of the few films this year I really felt during the screening.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 73
RE: The Road - 17/5/2010 1:39:26 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

An absolutely excellent film.
There are a lot of negative words used to describe it and its tone,bit i would use the word bleak.
I was captivated,even though it may be described as a negative and depressing film.
It is about struggle,hope and possible redemption.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 74
RE: The Road - 18/5/2010 8:42:58 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

We should have another discussion about why something being depressing doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

quote:

Exactly.The book is grim and the film translates well from the book(another credit to the film).
I wasn't going in expecting Hot Tub Time Machine(hadn't been released then!) but its grim,bleak and negative tone place you in this terrible world and all the horrible issues in it.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 75
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 10:15:36 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I watched The Road last night and I wish I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film but I was on such a downer after it. I found it hard to swallow that so many people would just resort to the lowest of the low. I mean as the film went along there seemed to be more than a few people around so how on Earth could it get to the point depicted in the film where people have started to break off into little cannabil gangs and hunt fellow man? More so the fact it took place in the here and now was just too much for me to swallow. Surely people left after the disaster would band together? I think the film depends on the outlook of the viewer in regards to how you respond to it. Personally I'm more optimistic in humanity and don't think what's dipicted on screen would happen. Surely all efforts would be made to reestablish law and order. Where the hell where the army?? Too many things didn't fit well for me and it made me cry a little so for that I disliked it!

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 1/6/2010 10:17:12 AM >

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 76
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 10:46:46 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I found it hard to swallow that so many people would just resort to the lowest of the low.

I can think up of some historical events where mankind was a piece if shit.

quote:

I mean as the film went along there seemed to be more than a few people around so how on Earth could it get to the point depicted in the film where people have started to break off into little cannabil gangs and hunt fellow man?

Animals and other resources had died off. Whatever destroyed the world had had eliminated most sources of food for people to feed on, man becoming a food source is not really that far-out option in those conditions.

quote:

More so the fact it took place in the here and now was just too much for me to swallow. Surely people left after the disaster would band together?

The cannibal gangs? The family? Though I imagine large groups would be hard to be kept in those conditions.

quote:

I think the film depends on the outlook of the viewer in regards to how you respond to it. Personally I'm more optimistic in humanity and don't think what's dipicted on screen would happen. Surely all efforts would be made to reestablish law and order. Where the hell where the army?? Too many things didn't fit well for me and it made me cry a little so for that I disliked it!

Well with society no longer existing for who knows how many years, I can see the army no longer existing.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/6/2010 10:58:21 AM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 77
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 10:53:21 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think your points illustrate the feelings and points of the book/film very well.
Ironically,this is a realistic doomsday film,unlike 2012.
There is a real sense of fear,danger and dare i say it,an almost complete loss of hope.
Mankind has devoured itself(literally!) and society is gone.
Army?There is nothing left of anything,it's an almost pre-caveman existence.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 78
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 10:58:17 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Its just too sad to think that is what we would become. Needless to say I'd last about two minutes in that world with my optermistic outlook before becoming someones meal.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 79
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 11:02:46 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

And the rest of us too!
It's a bit like The Mist-would you want to even try to survive in such a world like that?
No,i wouldn't.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 80
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 11:07:22 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Sorry to go OT but since you brought up the Mist I must point out they lived in the book. That film had the most blatant "lets delibertley shock the audience" ending ever. Hated it.

But to answer your question no I wouldn't!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 81
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 11:07:25 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Its just too sad to think that is what we would become. Needless to say I'd last about two minutes in that world with my optermistic outlook before becoming someones meal.

The film does end on a positive note though (on people remaining good that is), so it wasn't just a bleak "mankind is shit" all the way through.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 82
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 11:09:26 AM   
The REAL Bozz

No I know, but I just took from the ending a feeling of hopelessness. That family I feel were not long for the world with all the danger and hopelessness in front of them and don't even get me started on the bloody dog! I think seeing the dog was what started the waterworks!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 83
RE: The Road - 1/6/2010 11:10:32 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

That's the point i was trying to make earlier,hope is ALMOST lost,but not completely.
It's quite an ambiguous ending,but having seen the film to that point,it's hard to shake off the negative feelings about what you have already seen.
See the hope!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 84
Grim Stuff. - 21/6/2010 10:17:23 AM   
joanna likes films

The Road isn't a easy and comfortable watch. Very grim and depressing in places, it's not a movie to enjoy again and again. But it does have some excellent pefomances from Viggo Montensen, newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee and brief cameos from Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce. Some stunning barren scenes and edge of your seat moments. Don't watch this if you had a bad week or want escaspim, it ain't here. But it's one to check out.

Post #: 85
Grim Stuff. - 21/6/2010 10:17:25 AM   
joanna likes films

The Road isn't a easy and comfortable watch. Very grim and depressing in places, it's not a movie to enjoy again and again. But it does have some excellent pefomances from Viggo Montensen, newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee and brief cameos from Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce. Some stunning barren scenes and edge of your seat moments. Don't watch this if you had a bad week or want escaspim, it ain't here. But it's one to check out.

Post #: 86
RE: The Road - 8/8/2010 5:36:17 AM   
shinyvalley

Bleak is the best word for this film i have read the book so i knew what to expect but watched it with my wife and she found it boring.

Post #: 87
RE: The Road - 5/9/2010 9:11:58 PM   
Invader_Ace

Awesome.
I found the book very moving and this more so in some places.  Tears by the end.
This was great, but I think I prefer the book.  This might sound a bit weird after what everyone else has said, but it wasn't grim enough!

(in reply to shinyvalley)
Post #: 88
RE: The Road - 5/9/2010 9:32:58 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Awesome.
I found the book very moving and this more so in some places.  Tears by the end.
This was great, but I think I prefer the book.  This might sound a bit weird after what everyone else has said, but it wasn't grim enough!

I'm in agreement. It may be because I read and loved the book, then when I went to see it, some of the more bleek scenes were missed out (pregnat lady - that part of the book was horrifying!).

The film was great though, and from the point when the man makes the thief strip, right to the end, I was pretty much in tears. It's a harsh watch, but an even harsher read. I guess the impact was lessened knowing what was coming.

4 stars from me, and I really should get this on DVD. Haven't seen it since the cinema.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 89
RE: The Road - 6/9/2010 2:29:24 PM   
white mage

Found this film grim and depressing, which with possibly the point. Viggo Montensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee put in good performances. Quite disappointing ending, the father sets the boy up to look after himself, but he can't last 5 mintures before going off with a family, who just  happen to be following them

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Needs to be appreciated Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI