Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Soundgarden are Back!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Soundgarden are Back! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soundgarden are Back! - 1/1/2010 11:31:41 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Straight from Chris Cornell's MySpace blog and Twitter:

quote:

The 12 year break is over & school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again! www.soundgardenworld.com

What a great start to 2010 !

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 3/8/2010 8:45:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 1/1/2010 1:12:07 PM   
foz

Was just about to post this 

Website available here: http://soundgardenworld.com/

First time I saw them was with another 16 people (headliners Voivod and Faith no More had already pulled out leaving their opening act to tour alone and unpublicised) in 1990, last time was the week that Kurt Cobain killed himself.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 2
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 1/1/2010 3:01:57 PM   
foz

Must admit though that it's going to be tricky with Matt touring with Pearl Jam for most of the year...
Still, the Tadgarden reunion of last year was fun (Tad Doyle replacing Cornell for a brief get-together), presumably this'll be the latter Soundgarden reuniting as Hiro is still apparently busy with the reformed Truly although if he does show up then Ben might finally finish that bloody album he claimed to be working with Mark Lanegan from 5 years ago

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 3
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 1/1/2010 4:14:47 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Pearl Jam will be on tour from 22nd June to 10th July so far. Apparently the Backspacer Tour will not be massive, so maybe around August and September Soundgarden will begin playing shows.

So far, they are rumoured to be headlining Coachella.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 4
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 1/1/2010 5:10:23 PM   
losthighway

I didn't mind Soundgarden first time round but Audioslave left me cold and Cornell's solo output has quite rightly been panned from all quarters... Despite seasonal cheer, the cynic in me is still alive and kicking , and when the reviews are shite... Reform your old band! Hmmmm.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 5
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/1/2010 5:35:23 PM   
foz

Hmm.  Some backtracking seems to be afoot here...

The announcement is apparently not that Soundgarden is back in business, but that the Knights of the Sound Table (Soundgarden's fanclub of old) will soon be selling merchandise again.  In addition will be an unspecified boxset plus some unreleased stuff out in the near future.  There is no indication at the moment that the band are reforming.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 6
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/1/2010 5:55:38 PM   
paul.mccluskey

If there was no reformation, they would have issued a statement denying it by now. Morrissey and Marr denied the story regarding The Smiths reunion only hours after the rumours circulated last year. Same goes for Ian Brown and John Squire regarding The Stone Roses reunion.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 7
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/1/2010 8:06:52 PM   
foz

The main Knights of the Sound Table announcement revolves around problems that the band have had with their merchandising and back-catalogue since they split, as A&M Records also went under and there were huge problems with their manager (and Chris' ex-wife).  In all this kerfuffle, all the rights the band had to anything were lost in legal red tape, which is why so little stuff has surfaced since the split.
As Kim Thayil mentioned in an interview with Rolling Stone in the summer (just after reforming for 3 songs as Tadgarden, with Tad Doyle replacing Chris), this is pretty much resolved now so the fanclub can be reopened, they can start making and selling T-Shirts again, and the boxset of various rarities, B-Sides (of which there are many), film soundtracks, their John Peel Session and a few unreleased tracks (Dirt Candy, Ocean Fronts, No Shame, Summation and Open Up amongst others) and remixes by Bill Rieflin, Steve Fisk and Moby.

His final comment regarding a possible full reunion is rather telling:
quote:

People would have to want to. I think more importantly, tending to the merchandising catalog is something that would be satisfying for the band members and for the fans. I never say never ... but I'm not losing too much sleep over it, either.

So it's possible that it could happen given the online response so far - and the ease in which Tom Morello was able to coax at least 3 members of Soundgarden's Mark III lineup to join in.  It's not guaranteed though.

Post #: 8
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/1/2010 8:17:45 PM   
paul.mccluskey

We'll just have to wait and see then . I'm hopeful that the band are actually back together.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 9
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/1/2010 9:25:28 PM   
foz

It'd make sense if they did, if only to sell shirts and remind people who they are /were - unlike other bands from this period, they've been unable to capitalise at all and this would help their pension funds no end.

Have some Tadgarden in the meantime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyJ06zzapAA

EDIT: Found the article online - weird that so little was made of this back in July...
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/29218126/the_soundgarden_songs_you_havent_heard_kim_thayil_breaks_his_silence

< Message edited by foz -- 4/1/2010 7:59:01 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/3/2010 12:42:07 PM   
Karl Crutchley

Got another email from the news site

They are rereleasing their first single Hunted Down as a 7" vinyl single on the Subpop label for Recordstore Day

There was also a link to a download of a live version of Black Hole Sun from 1996 on the email.
I get the impression they have dusted off a load of live master tapes - probably to release later in the year?

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 11
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 3/3/2010 8:36:47 PM   
foz

Yeah, the plan is that now the band have the rights back to everything they did (ie, music & merchandising), at least 1 'new' album of rarities, offcuts, radio sessions (1 track from their John Peel session surfaced at the end of last year), demos, that weirdy SatanoscillatemymetallicsonataS EP that came with early CDs of Badmotorfinger and a ruck of live stuff will be put out.  Thayil's been planning this for almost a year, so hopefully most of it will have been theoretically put into place before they got their tapes back.

I should really sell my Sub Pop Singles Club 7" (re-recorded Room a Thousand Years Wide b/w H.I.V. Baby, only 1500 copies issued) before it isn't rare anymore

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 12
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 13/3/2010 5:31:03 PM   
paul.mccluskey

http://grungereport.net/2010/03/12/rumor-soundgarden-working-on-a-new-album/

Either it's new music, or they are finally working on the boxset of B-Sides, rarities and live tracks !

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 13
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 6/4/2010 1:28:38 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It has been announced that Soundgarden will headline Lollapalooza on 8th August!

Post #: 14
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 16/4/2010 11:20:00 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Soundgarden will play a show tonight at the Showbox at the Market in Seattle.

Post #: 15
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 16/4/2010 4:53:20 PM   
Karl Crutchley

Please let there be some UK dates this year.............

Post #: 16
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 17/4/2010 11:28:14 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Soundgarden will play a show tonight at the Showbox at the Market in Seattle.

Yeah, I got an invite, shame I live on the other side of the world.

quote:

Please let there be some UK dates this year.............

Yeah, seen them twice before, they are true rock Gods.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 17
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 17/4/2010 11:55:54 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Setlist
Spoonman
Gun
Searching with My Good Eye Closed
Rusty Cage
Beyond the Wheel
Flower
Ugly Truth
Fell on Black Days
Hunted Down
Nothing to Say
Loud Love
Blow Up the Outside World
Pretty Noose
Outshined
Slaves and Bulldozers
Get on the Snake
Big Dumb Sex
Waiting for the Sun

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 18
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 17/4/2010 12:12:56 PM   
foz

The absolute kicker to this is that apparently Mark Lanegan popped over to see this show (he was in Rome performing at the Nico tribute), and now he can't get back...  His EU tour starts in a coupla days 

Post #: 19
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 20/4/2010 4:36:46 PM   
Karl Crutchley

I managed to get a download of the full show
Its bloody great
The band are really tight although Chris sounds like he needs to practice the falsetto on some of those older songs a bit more.
Still it was their first show in 13 years and it can only get even better.
Roll on the UK shows (please!)

< Message edited by Karl Crutchley -- 21/4/2010 11:34:01 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 30/4/2010 11:11:48 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Official reunion show video of Beyond the Wheel here.

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 21
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 27/7/2010 3:12:10 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Soundgarden will play a warm-up show at Chicago's Vic Theatre on Thursday 5th August prior to their Lollapalooza gig.

Post #: 22
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 27/7/2010 4:10:57 PM   
horribleives

Mint, hope they get over here. Depending on Cornell's choice of hair and clothes, a storming greatest hits set by Soundgarden may just about eradicate all memory of his fuck-awful solo stuff. In the past few years I've seen Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Faith No More and Pavement - 4 of my favourite bands I thought I didn't have a cat in hell's chance of ever seeing again. Now if Soundgarden can pull it off and Fugazi and At The Drive-In do the decent thing I may just have the full set.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 23
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 27/7/2010 4:19:45 PM   
jonson

Awesome, my favourite band of all time. I hope they play over here. I have Matt Cameron's drum stick from when I saw them at Rock City (hmmm, about a decade and a half ago now  ) I would love a beard cliping form Kim Thayil.
Bring it on.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 24
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 27/7/2010 7:12:41 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Awesome, my favourite band of all time. I hope they play over here. I have Matt Cameron's drum stick from when I saw them at Rock City (hmmm, about a decade and a half ago now  ) I would love a beard cliping form Kim Thayil.
Bring it on.

Was that the show with Corrosion of Conformity supporting?  I'm glad I stuck around for a bit after that show, otherwise I would have missed the announcement of the Faith no More secret gig the following month

< Message edited by foz -- 27/7/2010 7:13:20 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 29/7/2010 8:14:28 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

quote:

Bring it on.

Was that the show with Corrosion of Conformity supporting?  I'm glad I stuck around for a bit after that show, otherwise I would have missed the announcement of the Faith no More secret gig the following month

Do you know something Foz, I really don't remember. It was at Rock City, we had backstage passes and I would say it was 1994/95, their Superunknown tour. My friend chucked a spliff on stage and Ben Shepherd just stared at it for about 30 seconds then ignored it. It was quite bizarre
We had a rule whenever we saw bands live that we'd throw a joint on stage to see if they'd participate. Embarassingly, one of the few bands that picked one up and sparked it was - looks around to make sure no-one is listening - Ocean Colour Scene.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 26
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 29/7/2010 11:47:23 AM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

Corrosion of Conformity

Just reformed, only playing the old hardcore/crossover stuff too. None of that shite when they thought they were Sabbath.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 27
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 29/7/2010 6:32:09 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bring it on.

Do you know something Foz, I really don't remember. It was at Rock City, we had backstage passes and I would say it was 1994/95, their Superunknown tour. My friend chucked a spliff on stage and Ben Shepherd just stared at it for about 30 seconds then ignored it. It was quite bizarre
We had a rule whenever we saw bands live that we'd throw a joint on stage to see if they'd participate. Embarassingly, one of the few bands that picked one up and sparked it was - looks around to make sure no-one is listening - Ocean Colour Scene.

Tad?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 29/7/2010 8:00:28 PM   
foz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bring it on.

It was the Badmotorfinger tour I was at Rock City for, but I remember the Superunknown tour vaguely - I saw them in Manchester and it was a really weird show as Kurdt Cobain has just killed himself (about a week before IIRC) and Chris dedicated Like Suicide to him.  Which, in hindsight, was a bit crass

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 29
RE: Soundgarden are Back! - 29/7/2010 8:01:40 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swoz_MK

quote:

Corrosion of Conformity

Just reformed, only playing the old hardcore/crossover stuff too. None of that shite when they thought they were Sabbath.

Thank the heavens for that.  Animosity's where it's at

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Soundgarden are Back! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI