Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/2/2010 10:47:09 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Il Divo
  (Paolo Sorrentino, Italy, 2008, DVD) - 6.5

I can't remember - are you still marking harshly?  (Edit - guess so, Below Watchmen)

I'm back to my normal (harsh) marking, pretty much. That doesn't exuse the relative placings of those 2 films, though. That's just down to how entertained I was watching them, how likely I'd be to watch them again, etc.
I preferred The Consequences of Love to Il Divo. That might put me in a minority round these parts.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2671
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/2/2010 10:47:43 PM   
elab49

Um, Swords - that's a TV mini-series

And yes, I agree. He is rather good in it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 2672
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/2/2010 10:51:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

quote:

Il Divo
  (Paolo Sorrentino, Italy, 2008, DVD) - 6.5

I can't remember - are you still marking harshly?  (Edit - guess so, Below Watchmen)

I'm back to my normal (harsh) marking, pretty much. That doesn't exuse the relative placings of those 2 films, though. That's just down to how entertained I was watching them, how likely I'd be to watch them again, etc.
I preferred The Consequences of Love to Il Divo. That might put me in a minority round these parts.

Actually it's what Rawlinson was asking me about earlier - I have Consequences above Il Divo in my 100 list, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2673
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/2/2010 11:19:56 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Wait, so Gimli, I'm guessing you didn't really like My Neighbour Totoro then? Well in that case, I don't like you.

It was the third best Ghibli I've seen, and substantially better than most of them.

quote:

Battlestar Galactica: The Mini Series 5/5

So I kicked off my uber-boxset with this film/miniseries that sets the scene for the series. And I was blown away. Big ideas, great set pieces, wonderful characters. I'm hooked already. Although it was really, really bleak.

I like you!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 2674
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/2/2010 11:40:17 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

18. Manhattan (1979, Allen)
My 5th Allen film, and I figured out what he's about a long time ago This seems highly representative of his work. I said that about Persona, a film made by Allen's idol, as well, but I certainly prefer Manhattan by parsecs. Still, it's not without its problems. While Allen himself is terrific IMO, and both Hemingway and Keaton deliver great performances, Streep seemed too clinical to me (though I blame Devi, rawls, and elab here ) and Murphy seems amateurish.
The film mostly works as a love-letter to New York - both Willis's cinematography and Gerschwin's music used are phenomenal. It does have a lot to offer besides that, though - Allen's typical humour is spot on.
The relationships are awkward (that's the point so it's not a criticism), especially the one with the young girl, which is nearly disturbing. What I like about the film is that a lot of it doesn't seem dated at all, and the hyper-intellectual characters appeal to me (though I'm with Keaton's character on Bergman .) Perhaps I should have rated it higher but it didn't click with me as well as Hannah and Her Sisters, so there's no shame in giving it an 8

28. If... (1968, Anderson)
Watched it in film class. Perhaps it's a matter of high expectations but I was slightly disappointed. While it's always competent I only really started to like it as it got more and more surreal - the first hour is good but not engaging at all. The ending is one for the ages though, and McDowell is great. A high 7

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2675
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 1:21:32 AM   
Deviation

The Girl who Leapt Through Time (Mamoru Hasoda, 2006)- JPN - 8.3/10

Part study on relationships, part time-travelling drama, this has proven to be a dazzling surprise. Our lead Makoto discovers that she has the capability to leap through time and uses this to make alterations to personal and external relationships. Voice acting is fine, and the plot itself and quite solid and the ideas quite well developed. The animation is quite good, with some beautifully colored and drawn background, providing a contrast to the blander and brighter coloring on the characters, and the animation is surprisingly fluid. The time leaps themselves have are stunning and the first time leap itself, which visually looks like a moving Renior/Van Gough painting, is one of the most breathtaking things I've seen recently.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Martin Scorsese, 1974)- USA - 9.5/10

This came close to a perfect ten, close. The acting is superb, the films has as much energy and vitality as the lead the film is named after, Burstyn acting is (unexpectedly) excellent (and so is almost every other actor in the film), Getchell's writing is excellent, the cinematography gives it a somewhat dream-like feeling, and it is all given life and energy by Scorsese's energetic, fantastic direction. It is almost perfection, almost. Foster (why does she look so much like a boy?) gives a clinical performance and the ending I am not sure about.

SPOILER

In one hand, we see Alice doing her best to live without a man and achieve independence, which is what the film implies throughout its running time, but at the end she is only truly happy with David. However, Alice has now found a man who truly loves her, and probably also will do her best keep her happy.

END SPOILER

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2676
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 2:15:10 AM   
paul_ie86

Shorts

16. Beginning (Artavazd Peleshian, 1967)
Watch here
I liked this one as well, and I am more sure I know what it was about. Due to the year of release, I think it's about the different reactions of the public to different types of political upheaval. I think the final shot of the child staring directly into camera is Peleshian's way of telling us is that the only way these can be judged is by future generations.

Tell me if I'm wrong and/or being blindingly obvious.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 15/2/2010 2:24:49 AM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2677
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 3:23:15 AM   
rawlinson

56. Cry of the Wild (1972; Bill Mason)

Incredible documentary from the Film Board of Canada. In the first half of the documentary, director Mason journeys to various places in the Northwest territory to film wolfpacks and try to understand their pack behaviour and to capture them on film hunting and playing. In the second half we see him at home in the wolf reserve he's set up on his land. We see the tame wolves that live there and gain remarkable insight into their behaviour, we see courting rituals between the pack leader and his mate, learn how the leader, Charley, disciplines the pack, and even get to see the birth and early rituals of a set of cubs. Getting to see these beautiful animals so close up is an incredible privilege and to say I'm jealous of Mason is a huge understatement.

10/10

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 2678
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 7:24:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Three oscar winning animated shorts

18. The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics (1965, Chuck Jones)
A thin blue line falls in love with a red dot, but she considers him dull and boring, preferring instead to be with a messy, black squiggle. The line goes off and learns to be more interesting, practising bending himself into all manner of shapes in order to win the heart of the dot. Robert Morley narrates this very odd but charming cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGh97__-uLA

33. Munro (1960, Gene Deitch)
Charlie Brown-lookalike Munro is a 4 year old boy who gets drafted into the army. Despite telling everybody that he's only 4, he passes the physical and heads of to boot camp, and everyone there ignores him as well. After all, the army doesn't recruit 4 year old boys so how he can be one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNgiWU9LY7A

43. The Critic (1963, Ernest Pintoff)
Various shapes appear and move across the screen, accompanied by twinkly music. An unseen man wonders what the shapes are meant to symbolise and starts giving his own theories. Mel Brooks provides the voice and, like most of his own films, he isn't very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPkk1sUFkI

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/2/2010 7:25:00 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2679
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 7:47:47 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

So I kicked off my uber-boxset with this film/miniseries that sets the scene for the series. And I was blown away. Big ideas, great set pieces, wonderful characters. I'm hooked already. Although it was really, really bleak.

I loved the miniseries for much the same reasons. Gave up with it part way through season 1 though as I found the characters completely unengaging.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli the Dwarf

18. The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics (1965, Chuck Jones)
A thin blue line falls in love with a red dot, but she considers him dull and boring, preferring instead to be with a messy, black squiggle. The line goes off and learns to be more interesting, practising bending himself into all manner of shapes in order to win the heart of the dot. Robert Morley narrates this very odd but charming cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGh97__-uLA

why does the geek in me see this and say "inter-dimensional love... it'll never work"

Universal Soldier Regeneration 2/5

Mildly engaging and not as bad as I expected it to be.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 15/2/2010 7:51:21 AM >

Post #: 2680
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 7:52:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

I loved the miniseries for much the same reasons. Gave up with it part way through season 1 though as I found the characters completely unengaging.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

why does the geek in me see this and say "inter-dimensional love... it'll never work"

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/2/2010 7:53:44 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2681
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 9:34:17 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Various shapes appear and move across the screen, accompanied by twinkly music. An unseen man wonders what the shapes are meant to symbolise and starts giving his own theories. Mel Brooks provides the voice and, like most of his own films, he isn't very funny.

I like you.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 2682
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 9:47:28 AM   
Pigeon Army

16. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004, Anderson, USA) - 4.5/5
It's not hard to notice that all of Wes Anderson's films (I've not seen Bottle Rocket) all hinge in some way on thematic exploration of the dysfunctions of modern-day familial relations. While Anderson dealt with the theme most successfully in his superlative 2001 film The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou sits pretty comfortably at second best in the pile, a sidekick, if you will, to the Tenenbaums. Steve Zissou is, by all accounts, a bit of a prick - he won't think twice about breaking into someone's sea lab and stealing their things, and seems to approach life as if he were always in the camera's lens - that is, forced and aggrandizing. Bill Murray plays him superbly, a figure who only inspires respect if you haven't taken the time to get to know him. When a thirty-something pilot named Ned arrives, claiming to be his son, Zissou's approach is one that is detached yet loving, a bizarre and oxymoronic treatment of the man that only leaves him at an arm's length of the man he wants to treat as his father. Anderson captures their relationship perfectly, at once warm and uninviting. Zissou's treatment of his son is different to that of his surrogate family, his crew (excellently played by the ensemble cast, and coming with the added pleasure of Seu Jorge singing Bowie in Portguese), because there is that possibility that Ned is actually his son, and it terrifies him. Murray captures all of this perfectly, giving one of the best performances of his career as a man wary of following through with the relationships he finds himself entwined in. Meanwhile, Anderson's idiosyncratic direction and writing is typically stunning, be it in his landscape-like framing (his shooting of the gunfight between Zissou and the Filipino pirates is an excellent example) or be it in the dialogue patterns and language he mastered long ago. Added to that is Henry Selick's best work since The Nightmare Before Christmas in bringing to life Anderson's gorgeously-imagined underwater ecosystem, beautiful and completely in line with the rest of the film. The Life Aquatic has often been looked upon as lesser Anderson, but this is absolutely not the case. It's one of his most heartbreaking, heartwarming, beautiful works yet, and deserves far more credit than it gets.

50. Morte a Venezia (Death in Venice) (1971, Visconti, ITA/FRN) - 3.5/5
Dirk Bogarde is Gustav Aschenbach, a world-famous composer staying in Venice for purposes of his health. While there, his eyes stray upon the young Tadzio (Bjorn Andresen), an androgynous young male who seems to inspire certain feelings in Gustav that he doesn't like yet can't possibly shake. Meanwhile, something is rotten in the state of Venice, and Gustav wants to know what the fuck it is. There's no doubt that Death in Venice looks exquisite. Visconti has an unrivaled eye for the opulent and elegant, and his capturing of the Lido Hotel and its beach is unmatched. It's an impossibly perfect landscape, and there are probably few better for Gustav's unraveling to take place in. However, when it comes to Gustav's occasional stwalks around Venice, there's an ugliness to it that forces one to confront the impeccable beauty of the Lido, where no-one tells Gustav the truth and a figure that represents both his emotional turmoil and his emotional enlightenment resides. Bogarde complements Visconti's amazing production design and visual direction excellently, his Aschenbach a wide-eyed, toffee-nosed upperclassman driven to self-destruction in the pursuit of beauty, as we're reminded time and again by the very on-the-nose flashbacks. Bogarde is haunting and hard to watch, but there's no doubt as to the power of his performance - unfortunately, the narrative seems rather unable to contain it, as it seems to demand something more than walking around, following the object of his madness, making inquiries about the posters all over Venice. It's a film that spends two hours promising a pay-off, and then doesn't deliver, and the flashbacks, which presuppose the audience's stupidity and telegraph the film's basic theme about the pursuit of perfection and the turmoil this folly provides (and then conveys it in an awful, shouty performance by Mark Burns - if I wanted to see what he does, I'd go to a Worker's Party protest on campus), don't help matters. It's just a bit hard to be fully captivated by a film when it is punctuated by scenes that tell you what it's about.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 2683
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 9:52:21 AM   
elab49

quote:

It's not hard to notice that all of Wes Anderson's films (I've not seen Bottle Rocket) all hinge in some way on thematic exploration of the dysfunctions of modern-day familial relations.

My problem is that it seems to be the same upper class intellectual family type situation over and over again which Anderson clearly finds far more interesting and telling than I do. If it hadn't been for Portuguese Bowie chap, this film would have been completely unbearable. 

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 2684
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 10:05:52 AM   
swordsandsandals

Dekalog was also a mini-series. People seem to think of that as a film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2685
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 10:20:47 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

It's not hard to notice that all of Wes Anderson's films (I've not seen Bottle Rocket) all hinge in some way on thematic exploration of the dysfunctions of modern-day familial relations.

My problem is that it seems to be the same upper class intellectual family type situation over and over again which Anderson clearly finds far more interesting and telling than I do. If it hadn't been for Portuguese Bowie chap, this film would have been completely unbearable. 

I personally think it's a bit ridiculous to look at Anderson's work (perhaps Rushmore is the exemption) as dealing with a family relationships that are explicitly 'upper class intellectual' - but then again, after your hate of Anderson and Where the Wild Things Are, I'm beginning to wonder whether you aren't the scorned lover of a New York publisher or something. While he uses upwardly mobile upper-middle-to-upper-class families as his characters in a general sense (I hardly think they were in Fantastic Mr Fox, though, and it's only the case in The Life Aquatic if you look at class as more of an attitude than a socioeconomic creation, as Zissou and his crew are explicitly not upper class any more), the things he says about families in general, particularly father-son relationships, are pretty much universal - the father making amends in Tenenbaums, the father scared of his own responsibility and the son confused as to how he's meant to deal with that in Life Aquatic, the father who just wants something better for his family but is blind to his own son's problems as a result in Fantastic Mr Fox. I find a lot of emotion and universality in his work despite the upper-class intellectual trappings that he may build his characters in. I suppose I can see why you don't, but I think the description you're giving it is wrong, because it presupposes some odd things about the upper class and about intellectuals.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2686
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 10:22:22 AM   
elab49

BSG isn't even close to that argument I don't think - Dekalog is because 2 parts were released theatrically and it blurs boundaries. Same with Das Boot - theatrical and TV versions.

BSG in here as a mini-series is like randomly including any TV. Why not start a record for all your TV in the top TV thread?   

quote:

Post #: 2687
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 11:07:34 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I like you.
I hate you both.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2688
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 11:38:48 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

The Girl who Leapt Through Time (Mamoru Hasoda, 2006)- JPN - 8.3/10

Part study on relationships, part time-travelling drama, this has proven to be a dazzling surprise. Our lead Makoto discovers that she has the capability to leap through time and uses this to make alterations to personal and external relationships. Voice acting is fine, and the plot itself and quite solid and the ideas quite well developed. The animation is quite good, with some beautifully colored and drawn background, providing a contrast to the blander and brighter coloring on the characters, and the animation is surprisingly fluid. The time leaps themselves have are stunning and the first time leap itself, which visually looks like a moving Renior/Van Gough painting, is one of the most breathtaking things I've seen recently.

spoilers

I thought you might have mentioned the ending. Just such a heartbreaking moment when you realise what is actually happening. Glad you liked it though Dev.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2689
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 11:40:55 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I thought you might have mentioned the ending. Just such a heartbreaking moment when you realise what is actually happening. Glad you liked it though Dev.

You mean when you realise what utter scum he is for grooming her?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 2690
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 11:51:14 AM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

Yeah basically. And obviously not just her, but for ruining the lives of others as well. I think it has to go down as one of the great twists.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2691
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 11:54:29 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I sense a very annoyed response from either TRM or Dev' coming.

Edit - Damn system taking ten minutes to post.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 15/2/2010 11:57:15 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2692
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 12:02:15 PM   
TRM

Why an annoyed response Rawl?

My laptop has been doing the same on empire all morning, so I assume its just the site.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2693
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 12:06:40 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

My laptop has been doing the same on empire all morning, so I assume its just the site.

It just seemed like an extremely cynical reading of the ending. I didn't expect you to agree.  

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 2694
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 12:07:45 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

BSG isn't even close to that argument I don't think - Dekalog is because 2 parts were released theatrically and it blurs boundaries. Same with Das Boot - theatrical and TV versions.

BSG in here as a mini-series is like randomly including any TV. Why not start a record for all your TV in the top TV thread?   

I probably will do that. I just wanted to mention how awesome it was.

And in my defense, for me it wasn't actually two or three separate episodes, it was just about 3 hours (i think) of cinematic goodness, uninterrupted, to it felt like a film. But anyway, I shall check out this TV thread you mention.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2695
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 12:31:26 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

It just seemed like an extremely cynical reading of the ending. I didn't expect you to agree.  

I think it works best that way, and it just seemed to be the reason for everything involving her aunt being in the film (at least I think it was her aunt, ah well, time for a rewatch! ).

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2696
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 12:44:41 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah basically. And obviously not just her, but for ruining the lives of others as well. I think it has to go down as one of the great twists.

Exactly - although I wouldn't call it a 'great twist' because I think the writing was a bit messy. I wrote this

SPOILERS for Girl Who Leapt Through Time

quote:

I think, though, I have less tolerance for some of the cod profound stuff that OKishly written anime indulges in. Much of the story is slightly Dawson's Creek, which is disappointing, But when it gets to time travel, it either is confused in itself or isn't telling a whole other story. So you start wondering if the aunt is actually Makoto, or, if not, Chiaki messed with both of them selfishly for this one painting, whose importance is pretty much ignored, unless he is some kind of sociopath. His manipulation of Makoto with having to 'go away' - although how without any leaps or presumably much of a resource there - that made her use her 'new' final leap does seem to indicate that.

On one level, perfectly watchable - but then it does start to get rather annoying when you think about it.

I'm not even sure I'd call it cynical - I couldn't see any other way of reading it unless the writing was even poorer at points than I thought. It is from the same source writer as Paprika, and although I don't think that's perfect, it doesn't suffer from near the problems I thought this did. I'd been really looking forward to it as well.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 2697
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 1:06:17 PM   
rawlinson

Maybe some of us just don't need to see darkness in everything.

Shorts

46. Boys Beware (1961)

"One never knows when the homosexual is about. He may appear normal and it may be too late before you discover he's mentally ill." So ends Boys Beware, an absolutely shocking example of the kind of lunacy present just a few decades ago. It claims to have been made with the help of the police, and probably was as it's another of the 'educational' films they'd show in American schools back then. The short is several case studies of boys being molested and the film claims paedophilia and homosexuality as the same thing. One boy is groomed, another is (off screen, obviously) violently raped, another is kidnapped in a Mystic River-esque plot. The last manages to get away from the man who followed him out of the toilet. The sad thing is, as advice about the dangers of child molesters it has good warnings for children (beware of strangers who offer you rides, beware of strangers who offer you gifts, etc) but it's just so staggeringly wrong-headed in its approach and in it drawing a relationship between homosexuality and child abuse. Worth watching for the comedy value, but there are far funnier 'danger' films out there.

4/10

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2698
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 1:07:00 PM   
TRM

quote:

So you start wondering if the aunt is actually Makoto, or, if not

As I mentioned before, I could do with rewatching it, but I cant remember this ever being an issue. I just took her as being someone who was hurt by a lost love, and keeping it alive by restoring the painting.

quote:

Chiaki messed with both of them selfishly for this one painting, whose importance is pretty much ignored

As you covered in the first bit here. I think its a strength that the paintings importance is ignored, with the film giving us the idea that the painting is in fact the only thing he loves. Does it matter really if it was once (or even becomes) considered an important work of art? Just the fact that it has managed to touch him enough to mean that he is willing to selfishly change the futures of all of these women is enough really.

I dont actually remember any problems with the writing, but that probably is because it has been a while.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2699
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/2/2010 1:10:39 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Maybe some of us just don't need to see darkness in everything.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2700
Page:   <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI