Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:39:44 PM   
doncopey1

few more additions...

1) Anatomy Of A Murder (Otto Preminger, 1959) (5)- Classic courtroom drama from Preminger. Wonderful Duke Ellington soundtrack, sterling script with great comedic timing. As well as two power-house performances from Stewart and Scott, not to mention fine support from Gazzara and Remmick. Personal favourite.

8) Mesrine (Jean Francois Richet, 2009) (4)- Throughly film, perhaps elevated by the films fascinating events and a fine central performance. No real flashy gimmicks on display here from the director or the script. The first half is enjoyable whilst the second half does delve alot more deeper into the fascinating figure if a tad overlong:so overall a great ride if not special.

12) Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009) (4)- Marvellous opening feature from Arnold who followed the solid short WASP very well. Interesting themes like bored adolscents are explored very well, if a bit too cynical at times, but thats perhaps the intended idea. Great performances, particularly from Fassbender who steals the show.

15) Independence Day (Roland Emmerich, 1995) (4)- Cheesy as hell but thats the charm. Its enjoyable, well layered and great family fun in the midst of the world being destroyed whats not to love? Evidently Emmerich has desperatly tried to recreate this success in recent years, no chance.

18) Changeling (Clint Eastwood, 2008) (4)- Solid film from Eastwood as usual, who really stirs dramatical cinema so well. Fine performances from everyone in what is a fascinating tale. But superb direction more than anything here.

20) The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963) (3.5)- This is great fun and genuinely terrifying at times, particularly well shot too. But disappointing in the sense that Hitch doesn't really give you any empathatic characters, or performances from a usually solid Taylor. Hendrid confirms she really isnt that good, but is better in this than Marnie mind you.

21) The Woman in the Window (Fritz Lang, 1945) (3.5)- Opens up in a decent manor and sets up what could be a tense affair in a very Hitchcockian manor. But the second half is substandard, I really hate those films where the detective guesses everything in front of the killer(s) as a form of suspense, doesnt work for me. Some nice expressionist lighting though.

25) Knife In The Water (Roman Polanski, 1962) (3)- Three's a crowd in Polanski's beautifully shot and at times tense thriller. Its a nice power struggle between the two males and the woman blends solidly to create some sexual tension. Scenes were dragged out at times, and the tension was few and far between and ultimately lacked gusto.

28) Sherlock Homes (Guy Ritchie, 2009) (2.5)- Nice bit of fun here, perhaps a missed opportunity as the period settings look great. Jude Law, Mark Strong and Downy Jnr were great fun so the problem was Ritchie over elaborate direction and the over elaborate writing which made this a too muddled affair to enjoy at times.

36) Sympathy For The Devil (Jean Luc-Godard, 1968) (2)- Godards documentation on Western Culture such as media, womans movements and social groups/impacts. You have to admire his originality and it does capture the zeigeist of the period but thats it. Poorly edited and in the end is a poorly constructed unique attempt at a narrative and on the whole is boring mess.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 2341
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 10:22:30 PM   
Epiphany Demon

9. In The Loop (Armando Iannuci, 2009, CHN/HKG) Feb *

Watching this for the first time since cinema, I'd actually forgot how funny it actually is. Every single line out of Peter Capaldi's mouth is utter genius. Chris Addison is a legend, James Gandolfini gives his second best performance of the year. It's a comedy masterpiece, one that I think in years to come will be quoted like Life Of Brian is or something. Hilarious film. 4.5/5

28. The Boat That Rocked (Richard Curtis, 2009, FRA/GER/UK/USA) Feb

Decent enough; it wasn't actually that funny but I was strangely invested in the characters and relaxed enough to enjoy it. A bit too long though, and Rhys Ifans just pissed me off. Great turns by Seymour Hoffman, Frost, O'Dowd and Darby (MURRAY!) though. 3/5

37. Bridget Jones' Diary (Sharon Maguire, 2001, FRA/ROI/UK) Feb *

Girlfriends do pick average films. This one's got some funny lines though, and Zellweger's good. 2.5/5

Shorts:

1. Everything Will Be Ok (Don Hertzfeldt, 2006, USA) Feb * - 5/5

Possibly the best short I've ever seen. Funny, chilling, haunting, sad, genius.

5. Rejected (Don Hertzfeldt, 2000, USA) Feb * - 4.5/5

Absurdly funny piece of work, if perhaps a little too disjointed to find utterly amazing.

If anyone knows where I can find I Am So Proud Of You, I'd be very happy and gracious

< Message edited by Epiphany Demon -- 8/2/2010 10:24:00 PM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 2342
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 12:47:46 AM   
swordsandsandals

Sweet Indie Comedy Double Bill

500 Days of Summer 3.5/5
Would be hugely enjoyable were it not for the central character of Summer. Nicely structured, inventively shot, a decent, creative stab at a well worn genre. If only Zooey Deschanel and Summer weren't so irritating. I'm just so bored of Deschanel now, and I'm seriously beginning to doubt her acting talent. It could be a casting problem, but I just don't have any time for her, to be honest. Summer, meanwhile, was just cold and unappealing. Maybe the point, but it meant I found it more difficult to invest in the wonderful Gordon Levitt's plight.

Adventureland 2/5
Sporadically funny, and Jesse Eisenberg is just great, but he has so little to work with here. Maybe I'm too young to reminisce about the eighties, but I was just unengaged by the hazy, nostalgic feel to this rather dull film.

And a couple of days before that...
Shakespeare in Love - 5/5
One of my favourites. The only complaint I can come up with for this film is that the set feels very fake. But then I just think that it's intentional to make it feel more theatrical. Whatever, it barely detracted from this riotous, entertaining, emotional, hilarious, irreverent look at the writing of Romeo and Juliet. Did more to make me fall in love with Shakespeare than an English lesson did. If only John Madden had stayed this good...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 2343
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 12:52:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

Christ almighty, I really hope you're joking.

The disturbing part is, I can't actually tell if you are or not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Gimli, you got the emoticons wrong - it should be "" in that Mamma Mia review. Awful, awful, awful film. And I like ABBA songs. And musicals. And most of the actors in the film. I should have had the same shameless reaction you had. But, somehow, it fails utterly for me. And that makes me .

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Looks like I've finally discovered my husband's posting ID

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I think I need to use it to recover my speech after that Mamma Mia review.

I can't help if if you folks have no taste

Awesome to see great reviews for Bringing Up Baby and Wallace and Gromit!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 2344
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:19:59 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought Playtime was genuinely brilliant. The use of long-shot, I thought, was it's greatest achievement, allowing for a quite large density of jokes and visual gags (especially in that incredible restaurant scene which is by far the most impressive comedy set-piece I've ever seen) and a far more realistic look at the modern world- after all, we don't look at just one person's face all the time, and the idea of 'not being sure what we're supposed to be watching' is deliberate and very true-to-life and the ultimate end-point of Tati's method- the little amusing movements which everyone makes which are easy to miss but which exist and continue happening. If anything it allows for it to be rewatched time and time again. Tati, especially at this point in his career, was all about showing the metallic, the alienating, aspects of modern life, whether it be the uselessness of much conversation or the vulgarity of 'futuristic design'. The moments where everything collapses in on itself- say the restaurant falling to pieces or Hulot and the girls' journey on the busy streets of Paris at the end- are some of the most liberating in cinema, I'd say, if only for the near-intensity of the scenes in the office building. It's satire, I think, is deep and biting- the modern world is alien, cold, ordered and totalitarian, but there are still times, when you go outside or look around, when warmth emerges, and humanity even invades the sheen and clean. It's probably the most intellectual comedy film ever made (and the most challenging, definitely- even with all the pre-viewing reading I did I still found it difficult to navigate at first), but I'd also say it's among the best ever made, and certainly the most impressive. And it's funny.

I think I remember M Hulot's Holiday being in your short-lived top 10 French films thread, and I completely agree that it's a great film. I haven't seen Playtime yet, but that and Jour de Fete are both superb, and - to some extent - discussed similar themes that you speak about here. Parade was less succesful, I thought, but as a non-pretentious evening's entertainment it was quite fun.

These conflicting opinions mean I'll be watching Playtime in the next week or so ....

I saw it at the cinema, bitch. Beat that.

Edit: Also, I saw Jour De Fete and Mr Hulot's Holiday in a cinema double-bill a couple of years ago. Beat that one as well!

I'm seeing "Breathless" at the cinema (well, the film studies lecture theatre which doubles as a cinema) this friday... does that compare?

I saw a restored Pierrot Le Fou at the cinema. So no.

I've seen both Breathless and Pierrot le Fou at the cinema, last year. Amazing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 2345
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:22:20 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Watched a few great 1992 films today:

Features:

13. Lat sau san taam [Hard Boiled] (1992, Woo)
This is far from a perfect movie. A lot of it doesn't make any sense. But if I was asked now what's the most badass film I've ever seen, this would be a very strong contender. Wall-to-wall action, silly perhaps, but perfectly executed. And although the characters are flat, the performances are great. My 5th Woo and probably my 2nd favourite.

Shorts:

14. Bolero (1992, Maksimov) {5 mins}
My first Maksimov film but it certainly won't be my last. Although the titular music is not directly needed in the film and the idea may be dismissed as amateurish, I thought this was great.
No video link though I could upload it, I guess.

15. Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase (1992, Gratz) {7 mins} youtube
I feel like an idiot for not recognising most of the paintings, but again, the idea and the execution are pretty much perfect.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2346
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:41:06 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

I thought Playtime was genuinely brilliant. The use of long-shot, I thought, was it's greatest achievement, allowing for a quite large density of jokes and visual gags (especially in that incredible restaurant scene which is by far the most impressive comedy set-piece I've ever seen) and a far more realistic look at the modern world- after all, we don't look at just one person's face all the time, and the idea of 'not being sure what we're supposed to be watching' is deliberate and very true-to-life and the ultimate end-point of Tati's method- the little amusing movements which everyone makes which are easy to miss but which exist and continue happening. If anything it allows for it to be rewatched time and time again. Tati, especially at this point in his career, was all about showing the metallic, the alienating, aspects of modern life, whether it be the uselessness of much conversation or the vulgarity of 'futuristic design'. The moments where everything collapses in on itself- say the restaurant falling to pieces or Hulot and the girls' journey on the busy streets of Paris at the end- are some of the most liberating in cinema, I'd say, if only for the near-intensity of the scenes in the office building. It's satire, I think, is deep and biting- the modern world is alien, cold, ordered and totalitarian, but there are still times, when you go outside or look around, when warmth emerges, and humanity even invades the sheen and clean. It's probably the most intellectual comedy film ever made (and the most challenging, definitely- even with all the pre-viewing reading I did I still found it difficult to navigate at first), but I'd also say it's among the best ever made, and certainly the most impressive. And it's funny.

I'm afraid I didn't get any sense of what Tati was trying to do; I was just bored rigid. That's a very readable, well-argued post, but I find it hard to reconcile the film you're describing with the one I just watched. There was nothing to grasp, or to engage with, just an endless stream of unremarkable incident. Perhaps seeing it on a big screen would help - but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to find out. I was expecting to be astounded, and while I was, it wasn't in the way I'd hoped.

Piles - I agree, it's the first place I head to whenever I log on. There's always a wealth of fascinating reviews (many of them by your good self).

It's not certainly not for everyone, but I'm considering sending your review to Jonathan Rosenbaum just so I can watch him destroy you. It's his favourite film, apparently, and when I went to see it at the cinema they gave out photocopied pages of his review.

Also, an old man in a wheelchair fell asleep after ten minutes.

I thought Chimes was? Even though he forgot to put it in his top 1000.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 2347
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:43:15 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

30. Le beau mariage [A Good Marriage] (1982, Rohmer)
Oh, and that music is horrible.

I know, great film, but that opening music sounded like the theme from an OU show from the 1980s.

quote:

The Snowman (1982, Jackson)
the penguins thing pissed the pedant in me off

You are beyond help.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2348
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:44:20 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

17. The Snowman (1982, Jackson) {26 mins}
 I thought it was a TV programme until last month, though, so it's not in the Top 100. Whoops.

I think it can class as either. It was shown on tv here, but it was nominated for the animated short Oscar and I'm pretty sure it won the Bafta.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2349
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:45:06 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

You call A Good Marriage great, and it's me who's beyond help?
Have you seen any Maksimov? I think you'd dig him (well, I've only seen one myself but I'll watch some more tomorrow).

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2350
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:46:45 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

12) Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009) (4)- Marvellous opening feature from Arnold who followed the solid short WASP very well.

It's actually her second film, you should give Red Road a try.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 2351
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:48:49 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon
37. Bridget Jones' Diary

This one's got some funny lines though, and Zellweger's good.

quote:

If anyone knows where I can find I Am So Proud Of You, I'd be very happy and gracious

It shows up on Youtube but keeps being removed, keep checking is the best bet.

Post #: 2352
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:50:00 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

500 Days of Summer 3.5/5
If only Zooey Deschanel and Summer weren't so irritating. I'm just so bored of Deschanel now, and I'm seriously beginning to doubt her acting talent.

PA's going to ban you.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 2353
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 1:50:54 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Why is Don so touchy about his later films but not about his earlier ones?
BTW, all of you were fooled by Gimli's Mamma Mia rating, check out his (or is it her? ) top 100

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2354
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 2:15:31 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Latest:

Looking For Eric

Wonderfully charming, fantastical and realistic film-making from Ken Loach. Excellent ensemble of actors with a strong, emotive central performance by Steve Evets and a great turn by Eric Cantona as his own, inspirational icon. The script and narrative is both hilarious and grittily realistic, weaving two films into one and culminating in a hugely uplifting conclusion which had me smiling.

8.75/10

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 2355
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 2:52:12 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
61. Mamma Mia! (1st view, 2008, Phyllida Lloyd) - 3/5*
62. Norbit (1st view, 2007, Brian Robbins) - 3/5*
63. Quadrophenia (1st view, 1979, Franc Roddam) - 3/5*

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2356
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 2:57:59 AM   
rawlinson

Quadrophenia is tied with them. Repulsion is below them.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 2357
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 6:21:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Do I not get credit for making you all think Mamma Mia was 59 places higher? I do like the fact you all thought that review was real. It's a good reputation to have

3. The Road (1st view, 2009, John Hillcoat) - 4/5*
Oscar's third great blunder of the year (after not nominating Partly Cloudy and nominating Avatar for just about everything) was completely overlooking this. It's a better film that the last one adapted from a Cormac McCarthy book and with Viggo Mortensen, I haven't seen a better performances in the last year. Robert Duvall was great too.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/2/2010 6:30:03 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2358
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 6:35:47 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Do I not get credit for making you all think Mamma Mia was 59 places higher? I do like the fact you all thought that review was real. It's a good reputation to have

It's still 3 points too high.

quote:

3. The Road (1st view, 2009, John Hillcoat) - 4/5*
Oscar's third great blunder of the year (after not nominating Partly Cloudy and nominating Avatar for just about everything) was completely overlooking this.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. I'd say there was more than three big blunders though.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2359
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 6:38:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

True, but listing all the cock-ups, I'd be here all week

quote:

#53. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009, Phil Lord and Chris Miller)
I think I'm quite possibly the last of the EMPIRE Lists and Top 10s crowd to finally see this,

I haven't seen it! Probably won't for a long while.

quote:

Looks like I've finally discovered my husband's posting ID

Penguins of Madagascar - Dr Blohole's Revenge (2009)

I'm counting this as a short like Xmas caper - on the new DVD there are old epis,

New DVD! How come I can't find it on Amazon/Lovefilm etc. Is it R2?

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/2/2010 7:09:07 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2360
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 8:29:15 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

500 Days of Summer 3.5/5
If only Zooey Deschanel and Summer weren't so irritating. I'm just so bored of Deschanel now, and I'm seriously beginning to doubt her acting talent.

PA's going to ban you.

Clearly, a lynching is more in order.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2361
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 8:50:31 AM   
Pigeon Army

Today's viewings -

46. Nine (2009, Marshall, USA/ITA) - 3.5/5
62. Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009, Daniels, USA) - 1.5/5

Full reviews when I get back from Wellington on Thursday.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 2362
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:12:57 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Good man. When it comes to Precious this forum has more taste than seemingly every other critic in the world combined.

Post #: 2363
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:19:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

12) Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009) (4)- Marvellous opening feature from Arnold who followed the solid short WASP very well. Interesting themes like bored adolscents are explored very well, if a bit too cynical at times, but thats perhaps the intended idea. Great performances, particularly from Fassbender who steals the show.

I was going to add 2nd film too, till I scrolled further down. Solid is a pretty good description for Wasp, although it wavers in tone a bit too much for me.

But I did also want to acknowledge the high placing of Independence Day as well - hurrah! I caught it again this week too

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 2364
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:32:33 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

Good man. When it comes to Precious this forum has more taste than seemingly every other critic in the world combined.

I shall quote my Facebook status thread on it -

Original Status - [Pigeon Army] , Based on the Novel Push by Christ Almighty this is Boring.
Reply #1 - It's a Movie of Significance because she is fat.
Reply #2 - Boring? Are you kidding? That movie was fantastic.
Reply #3 - Yeah, it might not be good but from the description it looks too intense to be boring surely?
Reply #4 (Paul) -No, he's right.
Reply #5 (Me) -Honestly? It feels like it's trying far, far, FAR too hard. It integrates every Significant Societal Issue it can get its grubby little hands on in order to make it seem more important, but it comes out of it saying nothing new or interesting and making the two hour running time seem like an awful drag. It feels like it's trying too hard to be important, and that makes it a dull experience worthy of every single eye-roll it eked out of me.

Also, I don't get why the fuck everyone is screaming Oscar about Mo'Nique. She's as fake and calculated as a plastic desk at Warehouse Stationery, and at least the desk is useful.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 9/2/2010 9:33:23 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2365
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:35:14 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I shall quote my Facebook status thread on it -

Original Status - [Pigeon Army] , Based on the Novel Push by Christ Almighty this is Boring.
Reply #1 - It's a Movie of Significance because she is fat.
Reply #3 - Yeah, it might not be good but from the description it looks too intense to be boring surely?
Reply #4 (Paul) -No, he's right.
Reply #5 (Me) -Honestly? It feels like it's trying far, far, FAR too hard. It integrates every Significant Societal Issue it can get its grubby little hands on in order to make it seem more important, but it comes out of it saying nothing new or interesting and making the two hour running time seem like an awful drag. It feels like it's trying too hard to be important, and that makes it a dull experience worthy of every single eye-roll it eked out of me.

Also, I don't get why the fuck everyone is screaming Oscar about Mo'Nique. She's as fake and calculated as a plastic desk at Warehouse Stationery, and at least the desk is useful.

quote:

That was Jayb, wasn't it? Why change the name to protect the guilty fucker?

Post #: 2366
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:37:23 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

Close. It was Piles.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2367
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 9:38:57 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Close. It was Piles.

The guess could have gone either way. They're both mainstream whores.

Post #: 2368
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 12:29:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

500 Days of Summer 3.5/5

PA's going to ban you.

Homer, too.

quote:

But I did also want to acknowledge the high placing of Independence Day as well - hurrah! I caught it again this week too

Yay! Us Independence Day fans should stick together. We will not quietly into the night. [/groan]

A Prophet - 4/5,
The Castle of Cagliostro - 3/5

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2369
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 9/2/2010 12:35:04 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am to blame

Was there any context?

If rum counts as context, then yes.

Haha. You should totally drink some more rum right now.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 2370
Page:   <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI