Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:06:38 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I don't think it's the short films although they have contributed.

I think it's the fact we all want to beat Piles to the 'Biggest Time Waste Of My Year' award and see if we actually can watch 25 films a day.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2311
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:07:40 PM   
jamesbondguy

I thought Playtime was genuinely brilliant. The use of long-shot, I thought, was it's greatest achievement, allowing for a quite large density of jokes and visual gags (especially in that incredible restaurant scene which is by far the most impressive comedy set-piece I've ever seen) and a far more realistic look at the modern world- after all, we don't look at just one person's face all the time, and the idea of 'not being sure what we're supposed to be watching' is deliberate and very true-to-life and the ultimate end-point of Tati's method- the little amusing movements which everyone makes which are easy to miss but which exist and continue happening. If anything it allows for it to be rewatched time and time again. Tati, especially at this point in his career, was all about showing the metallic, the alienating, aspects of modern life, whether it be the uselessness of much conversation or the vulgarity of 'futuristic design'. The moments where everything collapses in on itself- say the restaurant falling to pieces or Hulot and the girls' journey on the busy streets of Paris at the end- are some of the most liberating in cinema, I'd say, if only for the near-intensity of the scenes in the office building. It's satire, I think, is deep and biting- the modern world is alien, cold, ordered and totalitarian, but there are still times, when you go outside or look around, when warmth emerges, and humanity even invades the sheen and clean. It's probably the most intellectual comedy film ever made (and the most challenging, definitely- even with all the pre-viewing reading I did I still found it difficult to navigate at first), but I'd also say it's among the best ever made, and certainly the most impressive. And it's funny.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 8/2/2010 5:09:16 PM >

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2312
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:11:43 PM   
Piles

I think I've said before that this thread is easily my favourite on the forum. It goes sporadically from surreal but hilarious banter to reviews to actual film discussion, often within the same post, and it's like a mini community in its own right. I rarely go out of the Lists and Top 10s subforum at all, to be honest, except to look at the two HOFs, and this thread's popularity and activity means there's always a few new posts everytime I log on.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2313
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:12:41 PM   
Epiphany Demon

And of course, I can get my stat hat on. Nothing gets me tickling in the loins like some well placed country tallies...

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2314
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:15:58 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

I thought Playtime was genuinely brilliant. The use of long-shot, I thought, was it's greatest achievement, allowing for a quite large density of jokes and visual gags (especially in that incredible restaurant scene which is by far the most impressive comedy set-piece I've ever seen) and a far more realistic look at the modern world- after all, we don't look at just one person's face all the time, and the idea of 'not being sure what we're supposed to be watching' is deliberate and very true-to-life and the ultimate end-point of Tati's method- the little amusing movements which everyone makes which are easy to miss but which exist and continue happening. If anything it allows for it to be rewatched time and time again. Tati, especially at this point in his career, was all about showing the metallic, the alienating, aspects of modern life, whether it be the uselessness of much conversation or the vulgarity of 'futuristic design'. The moments where everything collapses in on itself- say the restaurant falling to pieces or Hulot and the girls' journey on the busy streets of Paris at the end- are some of the most liberating in cinema, I'd say, if only for the near-intensity of the scenes in the office building. It's satire, I think, is deep and biting- the modern world is alien, cold, ordered and totalitarian, but there are still times, when you go outside or look around, when warmth emerges, and humanity even invades the sheen and clean. It's probably the most intellectual comedy film ever made (and the most challenging, definitely- even with all the pre-viewing reading I did I still found it difficult to navigate at first), but I'd also say it's among the best ever made, and certainly the most impressive. And it's funny.

I think I remember M Hulot's Holiday being in your short-lived top 10 French films thread, and I completely agree that it's a great film. I haven't seen Playtime yet, but that and Jour de Fete are both superb, and - to some extent - discussed similar themes that you speak about here. Parade was less succesful, I thought, but as a non-pretentious evening's entertainment it was quite fun.

These conflicting opinions mean I'll be watching Playtime in the next week or so ....

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 2315
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:16:27 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I think I've said before that this thread is easily my favourite on the forum. It goes sporadically from surreal but hilarious banter to reviews to actual film discussion, often within the same post, and it's like a mini community in its own right. I rarely go out of the Lists and Top 10s subforum at all, to be honest, except to look at the two HOFs, and this thread's popularity and activity means there's always a few new posts everytime I log on.

But, Piles, the Unpopular Opinions Thread?! How can you not read such scintillating debate and discussion?!

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2316
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:17:13 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

I think I remember M Hulot's Holiday being in your short-lived top 10 French films thread, and I completely agree that it's a great film. I haven't seen Playtime yet, but that and Jour de Fete are both superb, and - to some extent - discussed similar themes that you speak about here. Parade was less succesful, I thought, but as a non-pretentious evening's entertainment it was quite fun.

These conflicting opinions mean I'll be watching Playtime in the next week or so ....

I saw it at the cinema, bitch. Beat that.

Edit: Also, I saw Jour De Fete and Mr Hulot's Holiday in a cinema double-bill a couple of years ago. Beat that one as well!

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2317
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:19:00 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

quote:

Edit: Also, I saw Jour De Fete and Mr Hulot's Holiday in a cinema double-bill a couple of years ago. Beat that one as well!

I'm seeing "Breathless" at the cinema (well, the film studies lecture theatre which doubles as a cinema) this friday... does that compare?

Post #: 2318
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:20:06 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm seeing "Breathless" at the cinema (well, the film studies lecture theatre which doubles as a cinema) this friday... does that compare?

I saw a restored Pierrot Le Fou at the cinema. So no.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2319
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:20:18 PM   
rick_7

quote:

I'm afraid I didn't get any sense of what Tati was trying to do; I was just bored rigid. That's a very readable, well-argued post, but I find it hard to reconcile the film you're describing with the one I just watched. There was nothing to grasp, or to engage with, just an endless stream of unremarkable incident. Perhaps seeing it on a big screen would help - but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to find out. I was expecting to be astounded, and while I was, it wasn't in the way I'd hoped.

Piles - I agree, it's the first place I head to whenever I log on. There's always a wealth of fascinating reviews (many of them by your good self).

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 2320
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:20:32 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

But, Piles, the Unpopular Opinions Thread?! How can you not read such scintillating debate and discussion?!

. I only go in that thread when I'm notified by the msn lot that something especially lol-worthy has occured.

Post #: 2321
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:22:11 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

lots of writing

. That's just not fair.

Post #: 2322
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:22:45 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

I'm afraid I didn't get any sense of what Tati was trying to do; I was just bored rigid. That's a very readable, well-argued post, but I find it hard to reconcile the film you're describing with the one I just watched. There was nothing to grasp, or to engage with, just an endless stream of unremarkable incident. Perhaps seeing it on a big screen would help - but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to find out. I was expecting to be astounded, and while I was, it wasn't in the way I'd hoped.

Piles - I agree, it's the first place I head to whenever I log on. There's always a wealth of fascinating reviews (many of them by your good self).

It's not certainly not for everyone, but I'm considering sending your review to Jonathan Rosenbaum just so I can watch him destroy you. It's his favourite film, apparently, and when I went to see it at the cinema they gave out photocopied pages of his review.

Also, an old man in a wheelchair fell asleep after ten minutes.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 8/2/2010 5:24:36 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2323
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:24:07 PM   
rick_7

quote:

It's not certainly not for everyone, but I'm considering sending your review to Jonathan Rosenbaum just so I can watch him destroy you.

I could take him. He eats craob penis.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 2324
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:25:05 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

It's not certainly not for everyone, but I'm considering sending your review to Jonathan Rosenbaum just so I can watch him destroy you.

I could take him. He eats craob penis.

I wouldn't be surprised.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2325
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:25:33 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

lots of writing

. That's just not fair.

Yes it is.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2326
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:26:00 PM   
rick_7

quote:

It's not certainly not for everyone, but I'm considering sending your review to Jonathan Rosenbaum just so I can watch him destroy you. It's his favourite film, apparently, and when I went to see it at the cinema they gave out photocopied pages of his review.

Haha. I can empathise.

I was trying to find my Terence Davies article online the other day and found they'd quoted one of my reviews in the literature for Keswick Film Festival. Score.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 2327
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:31:31 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

Haha. I can empathise.

What made it more amusing is that, after he woke up after about an hour, he asked his wife, really loudly, what he had missed. Her reply: "Nothing, really." Tati was probably turning in his grave.

quote:

I was trying to find my Terence Davies article online the other day and found they'd quoted one of my reviews in the literature for Keswick Film Festival. Score.

Congratulations. But I have to wonder if there's a single city in the world that doesn't have a film festival nowadays.

Edit: I just found it. ( Searched 'Rick, Davies, Keswick' on google.) Quoted alongside the BFI. Nice.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 8/2/2010 5:35:03 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2328
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:34:01 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha. I can empathise.

What made it more amusing is that, after he woke up after about an hour, he asked his wife, really loudly, what he had missed. Her reply: "Nothing, really." Tati was probably turning in his grave.

quote:

quote:

Congratulations. But I have to wonder if there's a single city in the world that doesn't have a film festival nowadays.

I should set one up in Harrogate. There's a film festival in my house every weekend, though.

PS: Where on earth did that craob penis sig come from? It makes me laugh every time I see it. Out loud. It literally makes me literally LOL. Literally.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 2329
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:34:49 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I am to blame

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2330
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:36:03 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

I am to blame

Was there any context?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 2331
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:36:34 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

I am to blame

Was there any context?

If rum counts as context, then yes.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2332
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:38:24 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am to blame

Was there any context?

And I still haven't gone go-karting with you as you promised. So disappointing.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 2333
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 5:42:41 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am to blame

Was there any context?

And I still haven't gone go-karting with you as you promised. So disappointing.

One day, Jables. One day.

Post #: 2334
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 6:39:09 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

The 2009 thread reached a respectable 282 pages, and when 8th Feb came along, we were onto page 22.

This year, we're pages 77 in already! At this rate the thread will reach something near 720 pages by year's end.

Even more impressive is that we didn't have the edit function for the first couple of weeks of last year.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2335
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 7:29:05 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

30. Le beau mariage [A Good Marriage] (1982, Rohmer)
My 3rd Rohmer film, and while these films are different, the style is unmistakably there. It's not a style I necessarily love, but he certainly likes what he does and is pretty good at it. Talk talk talk flows well, the films are low-key but well shot, and the actors are good. My only complaint is that all three films (maybe particularly this one) have an annoying female lead, although characters don't have to be sympathetic, it doesn't mean they shouldn't.
Oh, and that music is horrible. Otherwise I certainly want to see more of his stuff and I own the boxset, too

EDIT: Forgot to rate A Good Marriage here - if you're too lazy to click the link in the sig, it's a 7

Shorts:

17. The Snowman (1982, Jackson) {26 mins} watch here
Yeah, first watch, don't look at me like that. It's certainly good though slightly disappointing. I don't like the way the kid is animated and the penguins thing pissed the pedant in me off, but it's certainly a good idea and very touching. Manages to work without any dialogue through good scenery animation and music. 8

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 1/4/2010 6:37:44 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 2336
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 7:35:31 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

17. The Snowman (1982, Jackson) {26 mins}
Yeah, first watch, don't look at me like that. It's certainly good though slightly disappointing. I don't like the way the kid is animated and the penguins thing pissed the pedant in me off, but it's certainly a good idea and very touching. Manages to work without any dialogue through good scenery animation and music. 8

I can't separate the film itself from its place in my life: the fact it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen when I was a kid; the fact it remains a pre-mass mainstay of Christmas Eve to this day. To my partial eye it looks perfect. I thought it was a TV programme until last month, though, so it's not in the Top 100. Whoops.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2337
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 7:42:22 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I forgot to mention that I think I would have rated it higher as a Xmas film, and of course if I had seen it earlier (eg Home Alone, which is of course totally different but is my personal Xmas childhood fav).

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2338
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 7:58:10 PM   
Deviation

Code Unknown (Micheal Haneke, 2000)- ROM/GER/FRA - 8/10

As usual for a Haneke film, the acting is outstanding (and as usual Binoche is excellent), unusually though, it is one of the few times I actually found a film by Haneke becoming monotonous. After an hour or so, the style of the film and pacing of the film can become monotonous, cross cutting one long scene with another in the middle of incomplete lines and these scene being united by only a light strand. They almost feel like vignettes poorly stuck with each other. Patience rewards though, as the film after a somewhat monotonous 15-20 minutes becomes interesting again and acts like an intelligent, grown up, mature, intelligent version of Crash (the bad one). The charcters here are lonely, they lack communication, there is a code missing here that is making the situations of these characters worse, be it becuase of cultural barriers, media, fears, ignorance, anger...it's a brilliant, an almost great one, if it only wasn't for those 15-20 minutes where it became tiresome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2339
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:38:42 PM   
paul_ie86

Shorts

15. Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase (Joan C. Gratz, 1992)
I didn't get it.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2340
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI