Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:12:54 AM   
Gram123

008) Away We Go  (Sam Mendes, USA / UK, 2009, DVD) - 6.5

Romantic tale about a pregnant couple (wonder why we rented this one ) who are left without anyone close when his parents go on sojourn to Belgium. They couple tour around the US, meeting up with disparate old friends and family, trying to work out where they should move. Quite a sweet film, which brings to mind things like Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, though it's a little warmer and funnier than that film, IMO, and a more enjoyable experience than watching Mendes' previous film, Revolutionary Road.

It was a toss up between this and 500 Days of Summer. Did we make the right choice?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2251
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:15:19 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

The World's Greatest Sinner (Timothy Carey, 1962)- USA - 7/10

A messy, unpolished piece of OTT surreal genius.

Thirst (Park Chan-Wook, 2009)- USA/S.KOR - 8/10

The first hour is a mess. Too slow, put together in a rather clunky way and stuck with a build up that doesn't really know where which direction it is taking, with some great visuals, humor, wit and sequences saving the thing from being an utter mess. In the second half, the film gets its act together. It then becomes a film about lust, love, guilt and passion, as the lead vampire priest falls into a moral conundrum involving the attainment of his food. Kang-ho is excellent here, giving his priest a gentle and vulnerable presence while also giving him a menacing vampiric presence. It is a true visual experience, it is humorous, moving, terrifying and most importantly, it feels like something unique. And the OST not being nominated for the Oscars while Horner getting a nomination for his worst work further proves that the Oscars nominees are chosen by monkeys. And not the smart monkeys.

In the Loop (Armando Iannucci, 2009)- UK - 9.5/10

A satire about the fucking boring psychos and incompetents that made the latest USA fuck-up possible. Rightfully compared to the equally excellent Dr. Strangelove: or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb, it is hilarious, compelling and engaging, with an ending that also succeeds in being also rather moving. One of the very best films released last decade. And Peter Capaldi deserves every award ever made.

Have you seen any of The Thick of It, Dev'? I still think the only way In the Loop could have been better would have been if they'd found a way to get Roger Allam involved.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2252
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:33:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

8. Coffee and Cigarettes (2003, Jarmusch) - 8/10*
My Jim Jarmusch journey started with the atrocious excuse of a film best known as Dead Man (which sits uncomfortably somewhere in my Top 10 Most Hated Movies of All Time), continued with Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (easily the coolest film I have ever seen), and now has come to the train station named Coffee and Cigarettes, home of many residents (many of them famous, some less).

The film consists of a series of vignettes with the red thread being pretty much what you guess the red thread is: coffee and cigarettes. People talk, smoke and drink, then talk, smoke and drink some more. That’s the rhythm of the movie. Sometimes it hits the beat, as with the segments starring Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni, the one with Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan (the movie’s best), and in particular the one with GZA, RZA and Bill Murray, which is dead funny (to see the rappers toast to GZA’s “Liquid Swords” nearly gave me a hard-on).

Overall, it is a cool movie, both in its tone and its presentation, and although most of the segments are better off alone (it gets a bit tiring watching them all in sequence), it survives thanks to a poignant ending that ties some of the movie's smallest details together. A curious watch, but when I decide to see it again, it will be because of certain individual shorts, all of which will be watched by their own and not in company of the others.

And not one mention of the best scene

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 2253
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:40:19 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

My Jim Jarmusch journey started with the atrocious excuse of a film best known as Dead Man (which sits uncomfortably somewhere in my Top 10 Most Hated Movies of All Time), continued with Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (easily the coolest film I have ever seen), and now has come to the train station named Coffee and Cigarettes, home of many residents (many of them famous, some less).

The film consists of a series of vignettes with the red thread being pretty much what you guess the red thread is: coffee and cigarettes. People talk, smoke and drink, then talk, smoke and drink some more. That’s the rhythm of the movie. Sometimes it hits the beat, as with the segments starring Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni, the one with Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan (the movie’s best), and in particular the one with GZA, RZA and Bill Murray, which is dead funny (to see the rappers toast to GZA’s “Liquid Swords” nearly gave me a hard-on).

Overall, it is a cool movie, both in its tone and its presentation, and although most of the segments are better off alone (it gets a bit tiring watching them all in sequence), it survives thanks to a poignant ending that ties some of the movie's smallest details together. A curious watch, but when I decide to see it again, it will be because of certain individual shorts, all of which will be watched by their own and not in company of the others.

Cate Blanchett?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2254
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:40:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yes!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2255
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:40:56 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

The film consists of a series of vignettes with the red thread being pretty much what you guess the red thread is: coffee and cigarettes. People talk, smoke and drink, then talk, smoke and drink some more. That's the rhythm of the movie. Sometimes it hits the beat, as with the segments starring Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni, the one with Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan (the movie's best), and in particular the one with GZA, RZA and Bill Murray, which is dead funny (to see the rappers toast to GZA's "Liquid Swords” nearly gave me a hard-on).

He mentioned the Murray/Wu Tang scene.

Post #: 2256
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:41:36 AM   
Rhubarb

The Bill Murray bit is awesome as well though

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2257
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 1:58:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not the word I'd use.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2258
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 2:06:53 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Not the word I'd use.

Magnificent? Incredible? Wonderful? Stunning? Amazing? Astonishing? Breathtaking? Mind-blowing? Majestic?

Post #: 2259
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 2:07:59 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Not the word I'd use.

Magnificent? Incredible? Wonderful? Stunning? Amazing? Astonishing? Breathtaking? Mind-blowing? Majestic?

Orgasmic?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2260
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 2:12:53 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

Not the word I'd use.

Orgasmic?

We know how amazingly awesome Gimli think Murray is, so possibly.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2261
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 2:29:18 AM   
Deviation

quote:

Have you seen any of The Thick of It, Dev'? I still think the only way In the Loop could have been better would have been if they'd found a way to get Roger Allam involved.

Not yet, In the Loop was key for me realizing that the series exists.

I will check it out pronto.

And non-diegitic music, in Haneke. Non-diegetic music......wow.......my mind has been blown.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2262
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 2:37:42 AM   
paul_ie86

23. Bakjwi [Thirst] (Park Chan-wook, 2009)
I've seen the virtues of this film extolled over the last week or so. While I'm not as enthusiastic as some people over it, I still think it's a good film, if only for it's uniqueness. That's not to say that that is the only thing in its favour. Song Kang-ho is excellent in the lead as the vampire priest, trying to find a way to survive without having to resort to murder, nailing the conflict of his character perfectly. Kim Ok-bin gives a good over-the-top performance as the initially downtrodden woman who abuses the freedom which is given to her by her vampirism. Despite such good performances this is a good film, rather than a great one. As previously mentioned. the first half of the film is very weak. It is just so aimless, it is difficult to keep interest in it. There is marked improvement in the second half, but it still seems to be a good film with great moments instead of a great film.The ending of the film is beautiful in a way though.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 8/2/2010 2:39:11 AM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2263
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 6:51:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Mamma Mia! (1st view, 2008, Phyllida Lloyd) - 5/5*
JAMES BOND! ABBA! MR DARCY! DANCING QUEEN! BOOTSTRAP BILL! MONEY MONEY MONEY! VERONICA MARS' BEST MATE! VOULEZ-VOUS! SOPHIE ZAWISTOWSKI aka THE BEST ACTRESS IN MODERN CINEMA! THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL! MOLLY WEASLEY! THE JOURNALIST FROM CHICAGO! STELLAN SKARSGARD'S ARSE! WATERLOO! LOADS OF OTHER ABBA SONGS! PIERCE BROSNAN SINGING! FORGET ALL YOU NAYSAYING, FUN-HATERS WITH HEARTS SMALLER THAN THE GRINCH. THIS IS AMAZING!!!

14. Witchfinder General (2nd view, 1968, Michael Reeves) - 4/5
This often pops up in lists of best horror films. I don't tend to view this as a horror film, but it is one of the most compelling and disturbing British films I've seen, helped by the presence of the great Vincent Price. It might also be the film with the most shrill screaming on display. My eardrums were shattered!

34. A Man Of No Importance (1st view, 1994, Suri Krishnamma) - 4/5*
One of the great Oscar injustices is that Albert Finney has yet to win one. He wasn't nominated for his role in this, but it's just as good as pother performances. He plays Alfie, a bus conductor in 60s Dublin and he dreams of putting on a play of Oscar Wilde's Salome, but the nature of the play gets him in trouble with the local Church. What starts as a light comedy takes a darker turn when the townsfolk discover that Alfie is gay. The balance between comedy and drama is perfect, and Finney is superb

Much more better!

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 2264
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:28:41 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

JAMES BOND! ABBA! MR DARCY! DANCING QUEEN! BOOTSTRAP BILL! MONEY MONEY MONEY! VERONICA MARS' BEST MATE! VOULEZ-VOUS! SOPHIE ZAWISTOWSKI aka THE BEST ACTRESS IN MODERN CINEMA! THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL! MOLLY WEASLEY! THE JOURNALIST FROM CHICAGO! STELLAN SKARSGARD'S ARSE! WATERLOO! LOADS OF OTHER ABBA SONGS! PIERCE BROSNAN SINGING! FORGET ALL YOU NAYSAYING, FUN-HATERS WITH HEARTS SMALLER THAN THE GRINCH. THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Christ almighty, I really hope you're joking.

The disturbing part is, I can't actually tell if you are or not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 2265
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:32:26 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Gimli, you got the emoticons wrong - it should be "" in that Mamma Mia review. Awful, awful, awful film. And I like ABBA songs. And musicals. And most of the actors in the film. I should have had the same shameless reaction you had. But, somehow, it fails utterly for me. And that makes me .

quote:

quote:

Not the word I'd use.

[patronising sing song tone] Did someone buy Rawlinson a thesaurus for Christmas?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 2266
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:37:17 AM   
elab49

Looks like I've finally discovered my husband's posting ID

Penguins of Madagascar - Dr Blohole's Revenge (2009)

I'm counting this as a short like Xmas caper - on the new DVD there are old epis, a couple of new standard epis and this one - more than double the normal episode length and clearly set up as a short apart from the series. And I'm counting it. So there.

Fans of the Penguins will be familiar with the repeated references to Skipper's nemesis Dr Blohole, an evil dolphin. I'm tempted to think this might have been written post viewing Dr Horrible - not just for the casting of NPH as the evil Dr Blohole, but for the bombast displayed by the character himself - a dolphin who rides about on a floating scooter, with a cyber eye attachment and a lobster army.

After an early escape the penguins return to their secret bolthole the zoo but it has been discovered. Kidnapping Skipper's 'best friend', Blohole lures them to his lair to force them to watch as his evil plan to reshape the world takes shape.

Better than Xmas Caper with a fantastic vocal performance from NPH, the short features the best of the humour from the show - less of the kiddie filler and more of the sly winks to the adult audience (along with plenty of Julian foot fondling from Mort).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 2267
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:41:07 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

[patronising sing song tone] Did someone buy Rawlinson a thesaurus for Christmas?

I think I need to use it to recover my speech after that Mamma Mia review.

quote:

Fans of the Penguins will be familiar with the repeated references to Skipper's nemesis Dr Blohole, an evil dolphin. I'm tempted to think this might have been written post viewing Dr Horrible - not just for the casting of NPH as the evil Dr Blohole, but for the bombast displayed by the character himself - a dolphin who rides about on a floating scooter, with a cyber eye attachment and a lobster army.

NPH FTW

Post #: 2268
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:46:39 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

NPH FTW

Hey, stop muscling in on my turf.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2269
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:49:14 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

NPH FTW

I'm sorry, I know he's your boy-crush. I'll behave.

Post #: 2270
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:57:23 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

NPH FTW

I'm sorry, I know he's your boy-crush. I'll behave.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2271
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:58:25 AM   
elab49

I now regret referencing NPH in a review.

Even if he was in the short. And was very good in it. Never mention his name again. Good tip to know.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 2272
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 8:59:48 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Even if he was in the short. And was very good in it. Never mention his name again. Good tip to know.

Because at the mention of his name PA gets an erection so large that he tips over A51?

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 8/2/2010 9:00:03 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2273
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:02:19 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

Because at the mention of his name PA gets an erection so large that he tips over A51?

I reiterate - fuck you.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2274
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:06:00 AM   
rawlinson

If you think about it, it's actually a compliment.

Post #: 2275
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:10:18 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

If you think about it, it's actually a compliment.

You can manipulate your fancy words all you want, but you can't mask the abuse that runs through their core.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2276
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:19:12 AM   
rawlinson

I have an abusive core?

Post #: 2277
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:28:22 AM   
Pigeon Army

Not you. Just your words. 

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2278
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:32:08 AM   
Piles

#48. Requiem for a Dream (2000, Darren Aronofsky)
"Requiem for a Dream” tells the story of four linked people, all centring around Harry Goldfrab (Jared Leto). Over the course of a hundred minutes, we get to know Harry, his mother Sara (Ellen Burstyn), his girlfriend Marion Silver (Jennifer Connelly), and his best friend Tyrone Love (Marlon Wayans). All four are addicted to something, and their lives soon begin to spiral out of control under Aronofsky's assured hand. Underrated by many and overrated by so many more, "Requiem for a Dream” is a well performed, well directed film with a strong anti-drugs message at its core. Aronofsky succeeds in getting his point across for a number of reasons, the first of which being that it never at any time feels preachy. He begins with a slightly positive outlook, showing three good-looking youths with chances to succeed and avenues open to them, before slowly pulling the rug from under their feet. By showing the high that people obviously get from drugs before the fall, Aronofsky's film feels well balanced and fair, rather than a one-sided and propaganda-rous onslaught against drugs and drug-takers. When the decline does indeed set in, what we get is an unflinching, uncompromising, and really quite grim vision of four people being brought down by their own respective addictions (indeed, whilst three of them harness a penchant for Class A drugs, Sara's addiction to television and reputation are what brings her down). It may be a little heavy handed and sometimes even drawn out, but it's nice to see Aronofsky bringing some miserable, challenging imagery to a mainstream film, and the final twenty minutes in particular are perfect, as everything finally builds up to a crescendo. Aronofsky's direction feels like something from MTV but on speed, and I'm not quite sure if that' a good thing or a bad thing, and the performances are all stellar. Wayans is better than he's ever been and will ever be again (although the fact that he's been in so many films that make light of the subject matter that this film condemns kind of cheapens his presence), Connelly is incredibly brave in a role that makes her current career choices like "The Day the Earth Stood Still” and "He's Just Not That Into You” even more baffling, and Leto re-affirms that 2000 was a fantastic year for him. The star, though, is Ellen Burstyn, reflective and melancholic in the most sympathetic, naïve, and innocent performance in the entire film. Bleak and surprisingly powerful, "Requiem for a Dream” is possibly Aronofsky's best film to date. 4/5.

#53. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009, Phil Lord and Chris Miller)
I think I'm quite possibly the last of the EMPIRE Lists and Top 10s crowd to finally see this, Sony Animation's really quite good film about a boy scientist (Bill Hader) who creates a machine that turns water into food. Even better news for Flint Lockwood is that his city has nothing but sardines for food, and so his invention makes him into a star, before back into the loser reject when half the town turns obese or high on E-numbers. I'd say this latter point is one of the flaws of the film; the genuinely inventive and quite hilarious movie feels somewhat contrived when it shoehorns some social commentary on junk food or climate change into its climax. It probably handles it better than most other non-Pixar animations, but it still feels like a preachy and unnecessary attempt to make the film a little bit more 'worthwhile'. Other flaws include the presence of Anna Faris, who wastes the potential in an otherwise good character, and the disappointing under-use of Andy Samberg. There; I'm glad I got the unavoidable but quite unimportant negatives out of the way first, because "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” is an often-quite hilarious and visually inventive animation which finally throws the ball back into Pixar's court. It's a genuinely brave film, one which will no doubt confuse the living hell out of the children that it is apparently directed at and their parents to boot, but one which deserves kudos for actually going out on a limb and being a little different. Its climax, which takes place amongst a swirl of colour up in the meatball-laden heaven of this bizarre planet, is quite breathtaking in its psychedelic odd-ness. The general absurdity of proceedings kind of dictates that the humour won't necessarily have a one hundred per cent success rate, but it is often hilarious, with the snowball fight scene being literally uproarious. The voice cast – which also consists of the likes of Mr T, Bruce Campbell, and James Caan – fires on all cylinders, and the direction from Lord and Miller is lots of frenetic fun. It may not be perfect, but it's probably the best American non-Pixar outing since, well, since Disney's second golden age. 3/5.

#77. Invictus (2009, Clint Eastwood)
Chances are, you'll know what type of film Clint Eastwood likes to make. Of course, I'm not talking about the man who made "The Outlaw Josey Wales” (1976) or "Unforgiven” (1992); the hard-boiled, intelligent, ruthless filmmaker who made those films is probably gone for good. The man who is left, the man behind "Mystic River” (2003), "Million Dollar Baby” (2004), and "Changeling” (2008), makes films that exist in the boundaries of convention. They rely on genre conventions, intense emotion, and 'important' societal themes to get their points across. Obviously, they result in varying quality, and – unfortunately – "Invictus” is towards the lower end of Eastwood's boundaries. Throw in the clichés that come with sports movies (slow-motion, super inspiring music) and true to life stories (whatever doesn't go with Eastwood's blinkered view of the '95 world cup is thrown out), and what you have is a story we all know told in a way we all know. The performances are, by and large, fine. Morgan Freeman hasn't quite perfected the South African accent, and it often flits back to the gravitas-laden Freeman voice we all know and love, but he has such a presence about him that he's perfectly believable in the role. Matt Damon is probably even better as a man struggling to reach his destiny, struggling to make true the dream of a man more important than he is. He may lose it slightly towards the end, as the huddle-stricken team talks mount up, but for the first ninety minutes he's perfect. The problem, though, is the writing, which is so cliché-laden that the whole thing gets harder to harder to swallow. The problem is that its characters talk in monologues, which lose their impact simply because there are so, so many of them. The whole point in a climactic movie speech is that it's climactic, but here we're spoon-fed one every ten minutes. Morgan Freeman spouts off something big or important or worthwhile at regular intervals like Gandalf the Black, and although the Academy will probably love it (hell, you can even play 'spot the Best Actor' sound-byte if you wanted to), the whole set-up becomes a little patronising as the film wears on. Well performed and well directed, "Invictus” is okay to pass a couple of hours, and it will probably give half of the population a nice warm buzz that they've just watched something important and worthwhile, but it feels a little stagnant and perhaps even a little pointless. 2/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 8/2/2010 9:35:34 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 2279
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/2/2010 9:43:37 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles
#53. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009, Phil Lord and Chris Miller)
I think I'm quite possibly the last of the EMPIRE Lists and Top 10s crowd to finally see this, Sony Animation's really quite good film about a boy scientist (Bill Hader) who creates a machine that turns water into food. Even better news for Flint Lockwood is that his city has nothing but sardines for food, and so his invention makes him into a star, before back into the loser reject when half the town turns obese or high on E-numbers. I'd say this latter point is one of the flaws of the film; the genuinely inventive and quite hilarious movie feels somewhat contrived when it shoehorns some social commentary on junk food or climate change into its climax. It probably handles it better than most other non-Pixar animations, but it still feels like a preachy and unnecessary attempt to make the film a little bit more 'worthwhile'. Other flaws include the presence of Anna Faris, who wastes the potential in an otherwise good character, and the disappointing under-use of Andy Samberg. There; I'm glad I got the unavoidable but quite unimportant negatives out of the way first, because "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” is an often-quite hilarious and visually inventive animation which finally throws the ball back into Pixar's court. It's a genuinely brave film, one which will no doubt confuse the living hell out of the children that it is apparently directed at and their parents to boot, but one which deserves kudos for actually going out on a limb and being a little different. Its climax, which takes place amongst a swirl of colour up in the meatball-laden heaven of this bizarre planet, is quite breathtaking in its psychedelic odd-ness. The general absurdity of proceedings kind of dictates that the humour won't necessarily have a one hundred per cent success rate, but it is often hilarious, with the snowball fight scene being literally uproarious. The voice cast – which also consists of the likes of Mr T, Bruce Campbell, and James Caan – fires on all cylinders, and the direction from Lord and Miller is lots of frenetic fun. It may not be perfect, but it's probably the best American non-Pixar outing since, well, since Disney's second golden age. 3/5.

Your scores are bizarre. Also - "the genuinely inventive and quite hilarious movie feels somewhat contrived when it shoehorns some social commentary on junk food or climate change into its climax" - I don't get that. The film always felt like the messages were taking a backseat to the hilarity for me, and while they're there, they're barely what the film ever focuses on - indeed, the most prominent themes are the dealing with father-son relationships and being true to yourself  (typical animated film themes, yer, but handled excellently here). EDIT: And let's be honest - if Baby Brent was in the film any more than he was, he would be annoying.

Also - you forgot to mention NPH.

quote:

#77. Invictus (2009, Clint Eastwood)
 "Invictus” is towards the lower end of Eastwood's boundaries. Throw in the clichés that come with sports movies (slow-motion, super inspiring music) and true to life stories (whatever doesn't go with Eastwood's blinkered view of the '95 world cup is thrown out), and what you have is a story we all know told in a way we all know. 2/5.

Told you so.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 8/2/2010 9:54:45 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2280
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI