Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 10:59:39 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Don't delete my posts. Pretty please! I'm about to confirm my order right now!

DOn't worry - I'm saving all that for my last day of moddom. Ban the other Mods so they can't stop me if they notice, then start going through and deleted entire threads and forums. Devastation will reign.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1981
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:00:55 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Just watch the damn show, Gimli. It's like 3 now. I'll paypal you it. Get the DVD. It isn't some dry thriller. The original ending was supposed to have the lead turning into a tree - doesn't that sound like the kind of thing you'll love?

that would have made it Hedge of Darkness

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1982
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:02:57 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

Just watch the damn show, Gimli. It's like 3 now. I'll paypal you it. Get the DVD. It isn't some dry thriller. The original ending was supposed to have the lead turning into a tree - doesn't that sound like the kind of thing you'll love?

that would have made it Hedge of Darkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1983
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:17:13 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
28. Edge Of Darkness (1st view, 2010, Martin Campbell) - 4/5*
I imagine fans of the show this is based on will hate, loathe, abhor, detest, revile, scorn and vilify this film, and probably with good reason. Myself, on the other hand, having not seen the show and also lacking taste, quite liked it.

Oh God.

Elab's going to kill you.

She'll hurt you.

I'm scared.

Run

Run while you still can.

quote:

44. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007; Paul Greengrass)

Despite the hype, it's a bit of a comedown from the last film.

Yes!

quote:

in general it's still a better film than Identity.

No!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1984
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:21:29 AM   
rawlinson

Shorts

23. Logorama (2009; Nicolas Schmerkin)

In a world  populated by famous advertising logos, Ronald McDonald is an armed maniac being hunted by the police, who happen to be Michelin Men. McDonald's rampage is played out as a series of action movie cliches that takes in a diner where Pringles Men are customers and a zoo where the Republican Elephant and the MGM Lion live side by side. Logorama is one of the five nominees for the animated short Oscar, and it's either a brilliant satire on both consumerism and action movies, or it's a novelty film that'll get boring quickly. A second viewing will help me decide for certain, but either way, a lot of thought obviously went into the film and it's quite inventive.

7.5/10 but that could easily go up or down on rewatch.

For those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORjICBb1spo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzBIPvfc1J0

The swearing makes it NSFW though.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1985
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:49:24 AM   
Pigeon Army

11. Tsubaki Sanjr (Sanjuro) (1962, Kurosawa, JPN) 4/5
I've been an ardent fan of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo for going on a year and a half now, so it was about time that I watched Sanjuro, its sequel of sorts. Toshiro Mifune reprises his role as the crafty and blunt-mannered Sanjuro, a roaming samurai whose shacking up wherever sees him tied inextricably to a group of idealistic samurai trying to expose corruption within their clan. His performance here is just as sharp and entertaining as that in Yojimbo, and while the narrative allows for less of the playing of two sides that brought out the full appeal of Sanjuro in Yojimbo, Mifune is nevertheless a captivating figure who provides a brilliant centre for the film's tricky storyline to revolve around. Tatsuya Nakadai returns again as the mad-eyed villain (though a different one this time), and he's just as good as he was in Yojimbo, even if the charisma and arrogance he had in that film is slightly dulled here, and Takashi Shimura is barely recognisable as the traitor Kurofuji but excellent all the same. The cast are gifted by Kurosawa a strong, intelligent script, one that isn't as enjoyable or as consistently funny as Yojimbo's, but one where the satire is far more refined (particularly in the clash between Mutsuta's wife and Sanjuro, and in the portrayal of the prisoner the samurai hold) and where the focus is more on the negotiating of a minefield of traps and counter-traps rather than the crosses and double-crosses of its predecessor. It works very well, but at the end of the line, Sanjuro isn't Yojimbo. It's a lighter, less entertaining affair than its predecessor, and while it is undeniably great, it just isn't amazing.

18. Small Soldiers (1998, Dante, USA) - 4/5**
It's an unabashed fact that nostalgia can often cloud one's judgment, particularly when approaching artifacts of one's youth, be they books, toys, films or music. Special places are held in my heart for Lego, The Matrix, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Frequency, The Adventures of Milo & Otis, Pokemon, Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Heretic II, all because these things are intrinsically linked with my childhood. I was introduced to them in my youth (regardless of how far into it that was) and they became favourites of mine then, and are still favourites of mine now, partly because of that. That rush of knowing exactly how I felt back then, that knowing that there's always a part of me that'll appreciate these things despite my age, that sort of feeling is priceless. Small Soldiers is precisely one of those films that elicits that kind of reaction from me. The pun-heavy script, the ridiculous action sequences, the always-appealing humour, the heartwarming ending, the very existence of Archer, Leader of the Gorgonites - these are things I have loved since I first saw them, and years can go without me seeing the film, and I'll still remember them. While there is no doubt that Small Soldiers is a strong film even when viewed without rose-tinted glasses - the conflict between the Commando Elite and the Gorgonites is brilliantly conceived and well played-out, the performances from the adult actors (Hartman, Cross and Mohr in particular) and the voice actors (LANGELLA!) are excellent, the script is full of humour and heart, and the whole thing is just great fun - I also rate Small Soldiers because it just makes me feel great. It is a perfect trip into yesteryear, when it was funny to call your Pokemon "Fuck Them", when a film wasn't cool unless it had guns, and when the Microsoft Encarta Castle Quiz was bitch-hard. Small Soldiers is part of my childhood, part of my life - nothing's ever going to stop that. It will always be awesome.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1986
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 11:58:27 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Sanjuro isn't Yojimbo. It's a lighter, less entertaining affair than its predecessor, and while it is undeniably great, it just isn't amazing.

But Yojimbo is a bit dull and boring imo, so I'm not really sure its "great" but is better than Sanjuro, which I also gave 4/5 to when I saw it this week.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/2/2010 11:59:11 AM >

Post #: 1987
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 12:02:18 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Sanjuro isn't Yojimbo. It's a lighter, less entertaining affair than its predecessor, and while it is undeniably great, it just isn't amazing.

But Yojimbo is a bit dull and boring imo
, so I'm not really sure its "great" but is better than Sanjuro, which I also gave 4/5 to when I saw it this week.

Best joke I've heard all week.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1988
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 1:44:10 PM   
elab49

Logorrama (Alaux/Crecy, 2009)

I'm not entirely convinced by this one. A mad Ronald McDonald (he's a clown of course he's insane!), goes on a crime rampage, crashing into a cafe and taking hostages before the big quake hits LA. The key point for the short is the inclusion of branding over everything the helicopter lands on Red Roof Inn, the kid is a Haribo kid the bulk of the animation incorporates famous brand names and their mascots within the narrative sometimes successfully (I did laugh at the parental advisory on the Jolly Green Giant!) but sometimes it just feels like throwing everything in at random and the story is fairly basic as a result. The script is just as by the numbers with bad language, which generally doesn't bother me, rather obviously shoehorned in particularly the waitress, I think the director suddenly thought 'ooo, this could be Pulp Fiction! they're in a restaurant!'.
And they should have offed the kid. I'd have given it extra marks for that.
A short that tries to have a point but is a bit too blunt to be subtle about it.

Lady and the Reaper (Gracia, 2009)

Thankfully, basically a silent as Spanish no subs.
An old lady is rather grateful to go meet her maker and join her beloved husband in death but, just as she joins the man with the scythe to go into the light she's yanked back by a superstar surgeon who goes all out to keep everyone alive no matter what.
So, what starts as a rather nicely drawn bucolic scene turns quickly into something clearly inspired by the likes of Looney Tunes as Death and the surgeon battle it out for her life.
It reminds me in many ways of last years Oktapodi, not least because of the music just longer, and not as colourful. There is a nice touch where the surgeon and death, tellingly, nearly kiss and a wonderfully macabre end. And don't turn off at the titles, there is more to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dt47iqLBfU

So now seen all the nominations. The lack of Partly Cloudy doesn't really bother me it was pretty insubstantial (no pun intended), although fun and easily better than a couple here. But, in order,
Wallace and Gromit in a Matter of Loaf and Death simply a no brainer. None of the others come close.
Lady and the Reaper
French Roast
Logorrama
Granny O'Grim

quote:

Post #: 1989
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 1:46:43 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

18. Small Soldiers (1998, Dante, USA) - 4/5**

For once, just once, PA, someone agrees with you:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/cutting-heroes-down-to-size/Content?oid=896882

Also this marks the first time I have read anything of his since the summer. Ah, memories.

Also, I'd agree with this:

quote:

It's definitely one of his weaker films.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 3/2/2010 1:48:47 PM >

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 1990
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 1:53:53 PM   
Piles

"Yojimbo" is fantastic but, yes, out of  the 6 or so that I've seen, securely in the bottom half.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1991
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 2:00:43 PM   
rawlinson

Shorts

24. The Lady and the Reaper (2009; Garcia)

The gorgeous opening scenes give me such hope for this short, but as soon as it turns into the back and forth between the doctor and Death it becomes incredibly dull. There's one or two nice touches (I liked the birds) but it's pretty uninspired stuff when you have the same shots repeated over and over to no real effect. It all feels more like padding rather than anything honestly inventive (imagine how Jones or Avery would have handled this kind of battle) and the chase down the steps didn't need to be there at all. The ending is nicely done, even if the after-credits joke is a touch too obvious. It's a real shame, cut about three minutes from the length and think of more than one good visual gag for the middle and it might have been really something. The fact that this, Logorama and that awful Granny short got nominated over The Cat Piano and Partly Cloudy is a sin.

5/10

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1992
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 2:01:35 PM   
FritzlFan

IIRC, Rosenbaum placed Small Soldiers in his top 5 of '98.

The mentalist.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 3/2/2010 2:02:27 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1993
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 2:03:55 PM   
jamesbondguy

To be honest, he still didn't convince me to rewatch it.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 3/2/2010 2:04:42 PM >

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 1994
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 2:06:01 PM   
rawlinson

Rosenbaum has a bit of a thing for Dante in general, doesn't he?

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1995
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 2:09:07 PM   
jamesbondguy

Yes. Which is fair enough, I guess, he is quite good in places (like when he easily surpassed everyone else involved in the Twilight Zone movie and should have, rightfully, embarrassed Spielberg and his atrocious, 'worst-thing-he's-ever-made' segment), and he does have his similarities with Tashlin.

Rosenbaum didn't like Loony Tunes: Back In Action, or whatever it was called, though, understandably.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 3/2/2010 2:10:25 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1996
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 5:12:43 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Shorts

22. Forklift Driver Klaus (2000; Stefan Prehn, Jorg Wagner)

I often forget just how funny this German short actually is until I rewatch it. The film is a parody of 70s training videos for safety in the workplace. Klaus has just qualified to drive forklifts and we follow his first day on the job in a warehouse, learning about the potential safety hazards along the way. The short gets gorier and gorier as people lose various limbs and there's the best use of a chainsaw in a film since the Evil Dead trilogy, which seems to have been a big influence on the slapstick splatter style of the film.

9/10

I've seen this, hilarious little piece of filmmaking. For me it reminded me of the python sketch Salad Days.

Here are some one line reviews from me, cause I can't be bothered to write a lot.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2009, David Fincher) 4/5
I still really like this film, in spite of the backlash. Cate Blanchett is annoying in it, and the pacing is weak (was I the only one wishing that the old lady in hospital would shut up) but it's a finely crafted epic with moments of real heart and beauty. I may even prefer it to Fight Club. Possibly.

Precious: Based on the Novel Overrated by Sapphire 3/5
For the full review, please check out my blog, link in the sig.

< Message edited by swordsandsandals -- 3/2/2010 5:14:33 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1997
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 5:37:02 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I still really like this film, in spite of the backlash. Cate Blanchett is annoying in it, and the pacing is weak (was I the only one wishing that the old lady in hospital would shut up) but it's a finely crafted epic with moments of real heart and beauty. I may even prefer it to Fight Club. Possibly.

Precious: Based on the Novel Overrated by Sapphire 3/5
For the full review, please check out my blog, link in the sig.

So if you hated it on first sight, is that a frontlash?

And I'm sorry Swords - reviews go here, blog links go in sigs. You can't post to signpost posters off the site I'm afraid.

YOu could add an update thingy in your sig though?

quote:

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 1998
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 6:15:40 PM   
elab49

All the Right Noises (O'Hara, 1969)

A far superior Flipside release is O'Hara's adaptation of his own novel. All the Right Noises follows Tom Bell's Len as he gets mixed up with a young actress in a stage production he is doing the lighting on. Initially he isn't aware the girl isn't quite 16 yet, although he seems to have few qualms pursuing and bedding a 15yo even after that and Hussey (a very poor actress who isn't that bad here for the most part) plays it as a very very young 15, so the audience cannot fail consider her character as a child, and take the spin on the relationship from that. Her playing houses when they pop back to his while his wife is away simply emphasises this.

Len is a curious character almost lackadaisacal in deciding to have an affair it seems as if he is looking again for what he had his wife is an actress but gave up to have children and become a housewife. When she takes on new work he seems to show more interest, but not enough to overcome his pursuit of the young girl (even, after the break-up, now encouraging is wife to get longer hair like Hussey). Len came from a broken homelife and introducing the feckless father it does feel as if they are trying to make a rather obvious connection, but at least they don't hammer it home too much.

There is a lot to enjoy in the film though. Better constructed and filmed than the Walkers, it benefits from a strong performance by the excellent Tom Bell. Judy Carne must be better known from Rowan and Martin's Laugh in she's OK here in a proper role, although the wife is presented as just a little bit too perfect.

All the Right Noises also comes with a short The Spy's Wife. Although, if you try places like Fopp you might find a disc for about 2 that accompanies this series that features a documentary fronted by Kim Newman and a couple of the shorts including this one that appear on the individual discs. I got mine in Fopp, so it is likely HMV stock them as well.

The Spy's Wife (O'Hara, 1972) Spoilers

The release also includes a rather playful short from O'Hara, again starring Tom Bell but, this time, alongside the rather wonderful Dorothy Tutin. Something of an apt subject given the fantasist spy court case around at the moment, as the wife panics as her spy husband heads off to Prague using his toy salesman cover not because he is leaving but, before he goes, he implies the flat is bugged. As a Russian looking man arrives they search for the bug distracted by her mother, Tutin has to go out (wearing a very Russian outfit and bumping into someone who claims to have seen her at an embassy, which she denies). In the meantime Bell heads off to a curious home to discuss his toys.

I think modern audiences might be on to the twist in this that bit sooner, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to get there, particularly with Tutin, and O'Hara does throw out enough red herrings to make sure some doubt remains.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1999
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 8:07:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

So if you hated it on first sight, is that a frontlash?

Yes, I think backlash is a bit generous, it kind of assumes the film is good, and almost became too successful. I thought it was a mess on first viewing and just didn't work at all. Which is a shame as I'm a fan of Fincher's other works to one degree or another, but this didn't hit any buttons with me. Nice to know that you enjoy it though S&S

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/2/2010 8:14:40 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2000
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 8:43:10 PM   
Deviation

quote:

weaker
quote:

quote:

quote:

, so I'm not really sure its "great" but is better than Sanjuro, which I also gave 4/5 to when I saw it this week.

Best joke I've heard all week.

There is a degree of truth though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 2001
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:09:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Wow, looks like a couple of notes of support. Thanks as I did find that a terribly condescending response.

I'm not saying Yojimbo is a bad film, I'd give it a high 4/5. Its nicely shot, Mifune is excellent as ever. When the action scenes come they are swift and deliver. But I do find myself yawning when watching the film, it just feels like it needs trimming a bit as the action is too far apart.

Its obviously better than both Last Man Standing and Fistful of Dollars, but I'd agree with Piles, its in the lower half of Kurosawa's offerings. Has anyone read the book this is all based on? I think a Dashiell Hammett novel. I'm sure I did many years ago, but its not registering now.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2002
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:12:43 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

You are all nuts, except for PA.
Anyway,
1. The Godfather (1972, Coppola)
Haven't seen this for over a year, finally gave it a re-watch, and yes, goes on the top of my list on the year and back into my top 20. Books have been written about this so I can't say that much myself, but what I can say is that the most acclaimed film of all times (don't give me Citizen Kane, 'cause no other film has won over both the critics and the audiences so resoundingly) may not be the greatest film ever made, but is still a breathtakingly made gangster family epic. The acting ensemble, the score, the cinematography, the script, the direction, are all absolutely impeccable, and I can't wait to re-watch the sequel.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2003
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:17:18 PM   
elab49

Which side of the argument?

I've not read Red Harvest, which some critics have linked to it because of the wandering nameless ronin aspect, but Kurosawa said it was Glass Key, which I have read, but when I was a kid (certainly not recently enough to be confident in commenting on it when I mentioned Glass Key in my noir thread). I've been rereading Woolrich lately - maybe I should go back to Hammett next. I just had a look at Amazon and there is an amazingly cheap omnibus on there just now. I think Jasiri was talking about the books as well, and the torture scene turning up in various places - it seems to be really that you see in Yojimbo.

I like the build up and Mifune's engagement with the villagepeople as well as both sides so I don't feel a lull at all in Yojimbo. Are there any particular parts that strike you as problematic, Prof?

quote:

Post #: 2004
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:25:58 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Yojimbo may be my favourite Kurosawa though I owe them all a re-watch.
Red Harvest is one of my favourite novels, well, supposed to be I haven't read or seen The Glass Key though, naturally want to do the former first though own the DVD.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2005
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:30:17 PM   
elab49

BUgger. I have read Red Harvest. I've frakkin' got Red Harvest in the bookcase 4 feet from me.

I need to catalogue my books properly. And get glasses. And new memory cells.

quote:

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 2006
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:34:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Which side of the argument?

I've not read Red Harvest, which some critics have linked to it because of the wandering nameless ronin aspect, but Kurosawa said it was Glass Key, which I have read, but when I was a kid (certainly not recently enough to be confident in commenting on it when I mentioned Glass Key in my noir thread). I've been rereading Woolrich lately - maybe I should go back to Hammett next. I just had a look at Amazon and there is an amazingly cheap omnibus on there just now. I think Jasiri was talking about the books as well, and the torture scene turning up in various places - it seems to be really that you see in Yojimbo.

I like the build up and Mifune's engagement with the villagepeople as well as both sides so I don't feel a lull at all in Yojimbo. Are there any particular parts that strike you as problematic, Prof?

The Glass Key I also read years ago. My memory of it is better served by the film, so that might not be accurate, but it doesn't seem such a great fit to the story... still

No, I have no parts I can put my finger on now as my memory is not so good that I can accurately identify them. Also, its kind of like my mind wandered and its hard to put your finger on those bits, you know when you are thinking about what to have for dinner and tune out then rejoin it. So, its nothing specific, but in the last two times I've watched it I've had the same feeling of admiring the film, but getting a bit bored. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt as I'd watched the other two versions previously.

Just for the record, my ranking of Kurosawa films I've seen would be - and there's not a bad film amongst them:
- Ran
- Ikiru
- Rashomon
- Seven Samurai
- Throne of Blood
- Yojimbo
- Kagemusha
- Sanjuro

I've recently acquired Red Beard and have had Stray Dogs for years, but just never got round to watching it for one reason or another.

Back to Hammett, do you know if anyone has ever brought Continental Op to film or TV?

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/2/2010 9:40:58 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2007
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:42:01 PM   
elab49

quote:

bits, you know when you are thinking about what to have for dinner and tune out then rejoin it.

I do indeed - I've just watched Hamlet 2 and gone back to my spreadsheets halfway through!

Also - always here to help - you've inadvertently put a film above Ikiru.

Just seen your Nikkatsu thread - Stray Dogs is actually one you might want to have a look at when you've finished that set too.

quote:

Post #: 2008
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:47:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Also - always here to help - you've inadvertently put a film above Ikiru.

Ran and Ikiru are apples and oranges really. Its pretty hard to rank the two. Ikiru is a small film (arguably with a big theme) that is quite intimate. Ran is full of colour and charging horses with big landscape and set pieces. Let's call them joint =1 Neither of which I've watched this year

I see that coincidentally Willis' Last Man Standing is on ITV4 tonight... just in case anyone has trouble getting to sleep

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/2/2010 9:53:54 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2009
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/2/2010 9:54:50 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Back to Hammett, do you know if anyone has ever brought Continental Op to film or TV?

The Dain Curse has been filmed for tv, but they changed the character.

http://www.amazon.com/Dain-Curse-James-Coburn/dp/B0007WFXVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265234023&sr=1-1

Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI