Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 2:16:40 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

I have for some reason seen the sequel, but not the original. Don't know why.

Possibly because after watching the sequel there'd be no way anyone would want to sit through something similar? Perfectly understandable. But Pitch Black is a whole different kettle of fish - and, if nothing else, it does also count as horror

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 1741
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 2:22:27 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Well, I would be lying if I told you the sequel got me hungry for more, but I think I just watched it as a social thing with my friends. I'm not even sure I knew if it even was a sequel then.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1742
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 2:24:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

A Colt is My Passport 5/5

The Japanese manufacturing economy thrived out of taking technology from the west and making it more compact. So its fun to see Japanese cinema doing the same as the hardboiled Nikkatsu gangster thriller takes a large dollop of French gangster movies, mixes them with a bit of Hollywood noir and throws in a theme track that could have been lifted straight out of a spaghetti western. It sounds like a horse designed by committee, but its not its a really good film and an enjoyable first outing for me to the Nikkatsu thrillers.

500 Days of Summer 2/5

Wow, what a disappointment, I was expecting good things from this but it was like sitting through 2 hours of teenage angst and didn't do the job for me.

Law Abiding Citizen 2/5

I have a horrible feeling that this film thinks its a grown up Saw. Its not, its badly put together and quite a turn off.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1743
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 2:27:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

A Colt is My Passport 5/5

The Japanese manufacturing economy thrived out of taking technology from the west and making it more compact. So its fun to see Japanese cinema doing the same as the hardboiled Nikkatsu gangster thriller takes a large dollop of French gangster movies, mixes them with a bit of Hollywood noir and throws in a theme track that could have been lifted straight out of a spaghetti western. It sounds like a horse designed by committee, but its not its a really good film and an enjoyable first outing for me to the Nikkatsu thrillers.

500 Days of Summer 2/5

Wow, what a disappointment, I was expecting good things from this but it was like sitting through 2 hours of teenage angst and didn't do the job for me.

You've got the Nikkatsu Noir set?

500 Days - Hurrah!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1744
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 2:28:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

You've got the Nikkatsu Noir set?

Yup. This was the first one I watched though

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1745
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 3:20:22 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Blue Eyelids (Contreras, 2007)

This was on my list but I bumped it up when I read that Kaurismaki comparison in the Forum Poll.

Starting with a fairytale of emancipation that turned into a successful uniform business, the story centres round and isolated shop girl who wins the annual company prize – an all-expenses 2 week holiday for 2. She has trouble finding anyone to go with and eventually – near the end indicating not the best of relationships – she asks her sister. It would be easy to write the sister off as a selfish cow I think had the writing and performance not suggested real desperation for that role, and it does – you know what's she's building up to long before Marina does but I couldn't find it quite in me to hate her for it as she did seem genuinely scared – not just the pretty, selfish one. Marina rightly turns down her suggestion and sets out to find another companion, bumping into an old and equally isolated school mate whose sole conversation centres round a school life with people who no longer keep in touch with him. Not quite the small town jock who can't get past his high school success because you can't believe he enjoyed that kind of popularity – but how sad it is that he clings to that as his happiest time when Marina can't even remember him?

I can see where the Kaurismaki comes in – Suarez is no Kati Outinnen, but her face is so withdrawn and uninvolved, her life so basic and uninspirsed, you can kind of see it. Both leads, actually, although it doesn't have the humour or the dourness. It does have one of the most disinteresting and dispiriting sex scenes committed to film though.

I also rather liked Lulita's sections – sure, the freed birds motif was an obvious metaphor but it was prettily done and Marguia as the elderly ailing businessowner whose incontinence was the first new thing that had happened to her in ages, was very good indeed.

I'm glad you somewhat enjoyed this, elab. I saw it last year at the cinema last year before I got into Kaurismaki and I really enjoyed it. Was I the only one to include it in my top ten in that particular poll?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1746
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 3:25:06 PM   
elab49

You were, Piles, and I'm glad you did. I'd say I enjoyed it more than somewhat, though - very few people compare to Outinen in that kind of role! 

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1747
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 3:33:57 PM   
Piles

quote:

You were, Piles, and I'm glad you did. I'd say I enjoyed it more than somewhat, though - very few people compare to Outinen in that kind of role! 

Yeah. I actually recently went as far to put Outinen tenth in my top ten actresses, even though I've only seen about four or five of her films, simply because she has an insane ability to inflict so much emotion and power with so few words and seemingly so little effort.

"Blue Eyelids" is fantastic, though... a little cliched here and there but the writing and the performances are so strong that it's easy to overlook the conventions. Even the ending, which I should have hated, seemed so real and so natural. I was expected absolutley nothing and really enjoyed myself.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1748
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 3:56:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So that's January done for me. I'm relatively proud that I managed 20 films, its not what I used to be able to do, but its better than I'd thought. Just need to work on the standard now, what a poor month that was with the majority of the films I watched scoring less than half marks. Still I found Invictus uplifting and inspirational and very much enjoyed my introduction to Nikkatsu noir. Biggest disappointment of the month was A Serious Man, which didn't engage me at all.

JANUARY

1. A Colt is My Passport 5/5 - Superior gangster thriller
2. Invictus 5/5 - Inspirational joy
3. Frost vs Nixon 4/5 - Captivating
4. Moon 4/5 - Contemplative and enjoyable sci-fi story
5. Sherlock Holmes 3/5 - Elementary
6. The Man Without a Past 3/5 - Quite charming
7. The Time Traveler's Wife 3/5 - Okay
8. Fired Up 2/5 - Better than such a cliche has a right to be
9. A Serious Man 2/5 - Unentertaining
10. Inglorious Basterds 2/5 - Unnecessary and unengaging
11. Detour (1945) 2/5 - Stodgy
12. Shoot the Duke 2/5 - Cheap and uncheerful
13. 500 Days of Summer 2/5 - Teen angst brought to throwaway story
14. Law Abiding Citizen 2/5 - Nasty and not anywhere near as clever as it thinks
15. Couples Retreat 2/5 - All jokes removed
16. 2012 2/5 - I'd rather watch the end of the world
17. Weather Girl 2/5 - Insipid
18. The Rebound 1/5 - Awkward
19. All About Steve 1/5 - If you have the option, gouge your eyes out
20. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus 1/5 - Naff, naff, naff

I'm hoping that highlights for Feb will be Up in the Air and expect Sanjuro to score well when I finish watching it (actually I think I'll just go back to the beginning again now).

Post #: 1749
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:05:02 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

16. 2012 2/5 - I'd rather watch the end of the world

Brilliant!

Post #: 1750
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:13:17 PM   
GoodBadGroovy

Well January has come to an end, don't think I'll be watching another film before tomorrow so here's my list for the the past month.  Not as many films watched as I'd hoped, was aiming for around 20.  As for my favourite of the month, whilst I thought 'A Serious Man' was the better film, 'After the Thin Man' was so enjoyable, funny and well constructed that it's claimed my favourite of the month spot. Suprisingly high on the list was Tokyo Drift, which I still believe is a really great genre film and doesn't deserve to be lumped with the rest of the F&F series.

FILM LIST 2010 - JANUARY

5/5

4.5/5

A Serious Man (Dir. Coen Brothers, 2009) January
After the Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1936) January

4/5

Big Fan (Dir. Robert D. Siegel, 2009) January
Up in the Air (Dir. Jason Reitman, 2010) January
Another Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1939) January

3.5/5

Adventureland (Dir. Greg Mottola, 2009) January
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Dir. Justin Lin, 2006) January
The Thin Man (Dir. W.S. Van Dyke, 1934) January
Duplicity (Dir. Tony Gilroy, 2009) January
Daybreakers (Dir. Michael&Peter Speirig, 2010) January
The Book of Eli (Dir. Hughes Brothers, 2010) January

3/5

Out of Sight (Dir. Steven Soderbergh, 1998) January

2.5/5

Fast and Furious (Dir. Justin Lin, 2009) January

2/5

1.5/5

1/5

0.5/5

0/5

Shorts

First Viewed Films Per Decade

2010s - 3
2000s - 6
1990s - 1
1980s -
1970s -
1960s -
1950s -
1940s -
1930s - 3
Pre 1929 - 

First viewed films per country

USA  - 13

FILM OF THE MONTH

JANUARY -
After the Thin Man

< Message edited by GoodBadGroovy -- 31/1/2010 4:14:27 PM >

Post #: 1751
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:13:33 PM   
jamesbondguy

I haven't visited this forum in two-and-half weeks. Nice to know no-one missed me. Wouldn't want to see any of you suffer.

Anyway, I just came here to update this list now that Jan is over and November beckons. I got that in the right order, yes? I always got confused by the months.

1) Pennies From Heaven (1978, Piers Haggard)- 2nd viewing
Yes, that’s right, you zombies. I am including the original Dennis Potter-scripted television series (of six brilliant episodes) in a film list with no reason or justification other than that I want to and feel like it, and can’t be bothered to start a list in the Top TV and Radio thing. It wouldn’t be worth it as I don’t really plan on watching any other complete TV series this year, anyway. Basically the greatest thing ever made for television broadcast (better than The Wire, which I haven’t seen, but am claiming to be inferior to annoy Dante), Potter’s tale of lust, repression, desperation, futile romance, crime and love of music in suburban and rural Depression-era Britain is perfect in every possible way, and it’s depth is only enhanced by the genius ‘song-miming’ sequences. I never thought I’d hear so much Al Bowlly and Lew Stone in my whole life.

3) Look Back In Anger (1958, Tony Richardson)
The only other great film Richardson made (alongside A Taste of Honey and Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner) is his adaptation of the ‘greatest play ever written’ tm (not smiling now, are we, Shakespeare and Chekov!), John Osborne’s electrifying Look Back In Anger. Richard Burton is Jimmy Porter, one of the most complex characters in English theatre and cinema, a former working-class kid who fought his way into a university education (something much harder to do in the 40’s and 50’s, when social mobility was incredibly low), but who now lives in a dingy cold water room with his wife and fellow sweet-stalle owner, the amiable Cliff, raging at the world and engaging in a vicious class-war against everyone he comes in contact with. Osborne is not afraid to make clear Jimmy’s flaws (and, probably, his own considering how autobiographical he claims it to be), painting a portrait of an angry young man paralysed by the same anger, railing against his upper-middle-class wife and he family and friends rather than taking on society as a whole, or fighting those who really deserve it (I.e. the conservative government of the time), while obsessed with the memories of his past suffering, not least his caring for his dying father when he was 12. He’s sympathetic, of course, and the film makes him more so, protecting an Indian stall owner against the prejudice of the community and the warden, and making clear the love in his relationship with elderly widow Ma Tanner and his one friend, Cliff. It does lose some of the depth of the original play (putting it’s focus almost completely on the Jimmy-Alison-Helena triangle), but it’s still a blistering piece of work. Many have complained about Burton’s ‘over-acting’ but they forget that every movement Jimmy Porter makes is supposed to exaggerated, pointed and fierce- that’s the very basis of his character, and it adds to the optimistic conclusion, as Jimmy and Alison reunite, seemingly united because of the fact that both, now, have undergone the same level of suffering.

5) Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (1960, Reisz)
Unlike many boring, conservative critics, I don't think this is the best of British New Wave, but I still think it's a terrific movie, with prefect amounts of grimness, anger, humour (the bit where Finney shoots the irritating old woman with an air-gun is hilarious) and bitterness. Finney, however, is where the magic of it really lies- his natural performance as the brash, disillusioned, fun-seeking, bold and, ultimately, defeated Arthur Seaton has never been topped in the history of British film-acting. Oh yes. And the ending, with the beckoning finger of suburban normalcy and emptiness, is crushing, no matter how often Seaton seems to shift between unfortunate, hero and bastard.

8) The Seven-Year Itch (1955, Wilder)
Effortlessly entertaining and amusing, and with some charmingly, subtly colourful technicolor photography. Luckily, the good points just about make up for Monroe's deeply unrealistic character, who is treated with some real borderline-misogyny at some times by the storyline. Monroe tries her best, but she's pretty much cursed by the role. Ewell, however, is as reliable and amusing as usual.

9) The Entertainer (1960, Richardson)
I just couldn't get into this one at all, and ultimately found it rather dull. Perhaps it's because it's about an older character, in comparison to Richardson's other films of the period? Who knows. But I found it lacking and lifeless in comparison to Richardson's other Kitchen-sink films, with too little character investigation (in terms of both Olivier's daughter and, more crucially, Olivier himself) and a rather trying story. At times, one could see the genius of Osborne's previous script, Look Back In Anger, shining through, but I felt distant from Olivier and his story. However, the view of the declining British Empire, the failings of the Eden government and the fading of British Music Hall in the face of a new, emerging youth culture is very well done.

Pennies From Heaven (1978, Piers Haggard)
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (1962, Tony Richardson)
Look Back In Anger (1958, Tony Richardson)
This Sporting Life (Anderson, 1963) 
Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (1960, Reisz)
The System (Winner, 1964)
The Family Way (Boulting, 1966) 
The Seven-Year Itch (Wilder, 1955)
The Entertainer (Richardson, 1960)

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1752
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:20:55 PM   
Piles

So far I've only seen "Taste of Honey" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" (which I got free with my S+S subscription the other day... hurrah!) with Richardson. Would you recommend "Don't Look Back in Anger" as the next step? It was playing at my local independent cinema last year but I was away when it was on. Much sadness.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1753
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:23:35 PM   
elab49

Depends if you have a taste for Orton angst - I don't, so if you exclude the TV show JGB seems to be including here, then This Sporting Life would be my recommendation. I was planning to have another look at that myself shortly - I finally got round to reading Hellraisers and it has given me a taste for it!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 31/1/2010 4:24:11 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1754
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:39:36 PM   
swordsandsandals

Hot Rod, 2007, Akiva Schaffer 4/5

As every frat boy comedy starring Will Ferrell or Jack Black begins to feel stale, and Judd Apatow comedies are never funny in the first place, this comedy from a younger group of SNL alumni felt fresh, original and very, very funny. Despite following a conventional(ish) plot line, and having a similar set up of four goofy friends to anchorman, it had a certain anarchic sense of defying conventions. Watch a slow-mo group walk turn into a riot for no apparent reason. See the best out of body experience ever. Enjoy the most audaciously protracted fall possible. Hot Rod is crammed with jokes, yet never resorts to being merely crude. It's humour comes from being just ridiculously silly, and as such makes it much funnier than most mainstream comedies peddled out these days. Well worth checking out. Cool beans.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1755
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:48:11 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Hot Rod, 2007, Akiva Schaffer 4/5

As every frat boy comedy starring Will Ferrell or Jack Black begins to feel stale, and Judd Apatow comedies are never funny in the first place, this comedy from a younger group of SNL alumni felt fresh, original and very, very funny. Despite following a conventional(ish) plot line, and having a similar set up of four goofy friends to anchorman, it had a certain anarchic sense of defying conventions. Watch a slow-mo group walk turn into a riot for no apparent reason. See the best out of body experience ever. Enjoy the most audaciously protracted fall possible. Hot Rod is crammed with jokes, yet never resorts to being merely crude. It's humour comes from being just ridiculously silly, and as such makes it much funnier than most mainstream comedies peddled out these days. Well worth checking out. Cool beans.

COOL BEANS!

Love "Hot Rod".

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 1756
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 4:50:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I finally got round to reading Hellraisers and it has given me a taste for it!

And they complain about Christian Bale having a bit of a shout at one of the crew now

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1757
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:08:07 PM   
chris_scott01

January's viewings: (in order of preference)

La Strada
(1954, Federico Fellini)
Citizen Kane
(1941, Orson Welles)
Odd Man Out
(1947, Carol Reed)
Nightmare Alley
(1947, Edmund Goulding)
Storm Over Asia
(1928, Vsevolod Pudovkin)
Brute Force
(1947, Jules Dassin)
Raw Deal
(1948, Anthony Mann)
Il Divo
(2008, Paulo Sorrentino)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
(1958, Richard Brooks)
Mother
(1926, Vsevolod Pudovkin)
After Life
(1998, Hirokazu Koreeda)
The End of St. Petersburg
(1927, Vsevolod Pudovkin)
At Five in the Afternoon
(2003, Samira Makhmalbaf)
A Tale of Two Sisters
(2003, Kim Ji Woon)
Joint Security Area
(2000, Park Chan Wook)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1942, Michael Curtiz)
Arsenal
(1928, Aleksandr Dovzhenko)
Jackie Brown
(1997, Quentin Tarantino)
The Road
(2009, John Hillcoat)
In Cold Blood
(1967, Richard Brooks)
I Vitelloni
(1953, Federico Fellini)
A Room with a View (1985, James Ivory)
Lilliom
(1930, Frank Borzage)
Destination Tokyo
(1943, Delmer Daves)
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone
(1961, Jose Quintero)
Night and Day
(1946, Michael Curtiz)
The Saphead
(1920, Herbert Blache)
Wuthering Heights
(1939, William Wyler)

I'd hoped to have watched a bit more this month but other things just got in the way.  Overall a great start to the year.  Hammer down for Feb!

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 1758
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:16:59 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

So far I've only seen "Taste of Honey" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" (which I got free with my S+S subscription the other day... hurrah!) with Richardson. Would you recommend "Don't Look Back in Anger" as the next step? It was playing at my local independent cinema last year but I was away when it was on. Much sadness.

Don't Look Back In Anger? We're not discussing Oasis here.

But yes, watch it. It is very good. But make sure you read the play, as well- it's brilliant (and you should have done the same with A Taste of Honey).

Also, as elab says, This Sporting Life is a winner, but it's not Richardson, if that's the way you want to go. But if you do want to go that way, view everything I listed above. Plus A Kind Of Loving, Room At The Top etc etc.

I watched Out Of The Past today (the stuff in Mexico ranks as some of my favourite footage from American film noir, alongside all of Detour and Gun Crazy) and will probably watch Cat People later, but I'll just throw that in with February.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1759
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:19:57 PM   
paul_ie86

What do you think of if....?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1760
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:21:28 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

What do you think of if....?

It's good. Not as good as the Vigo film it's based on, though.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1761
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:26:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

January 2009. Possibly the first time I've ever completed a month of keeping a film log, and it's great fun. Let's hope I can actually keep this up for another 11 months!

1. Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950) January
  2. Departures (Takita, 2008) January
  3. Modern Times (Chaplin, 1936) January
  4. Superman (Donner, 1978) January
  5. The Third Man (Reed, 1949) January
  6. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring (Ki-duk, 2003) January
  7. Batman (Burton, 1989) January
  8. The International (Tykwer, 2009) January

9. Robocop (Verhoeven, 1987) January
  10. Unbreakable (Shyamalan, 2000) January
  11. Superman Returns (Singer, 2006) January
  12. Somers Town (Meadows, 2007) January
  13. The Death Of Mr Lazarescu (Puiu, 2005) January
  14. High Fidelity (Frears, 2000) January
  15. Touching The Void (MacDonald, 2003) January
  16. Up In The Air (Reitman, J, 2009) January
  17. Nine (Marshall, 2009) January
  18. 12:08 East of Bucharest (Porumboiu, 2006) January
  19. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (Parker, 1999) January
  20. Escape From New York (Carpenter, 1981) January
  21. Spider-Man (Raimi, 2002) January
  22. Assault on Precinct 13 (Carpenter, 1976) January
  23. In The Loop (Ianucci, 2009) January
  24. Nowhere Boy (Wood, 2009) January
  25. Thank You For Smoking (Reitman, J, 2005) January
  26. The Road (Hillcoat, 2009) January
  27. The Karate Kid (Avildsen, 1984) January
  28. Stranger On The Third Floor (Ingster, 1940) January
  29. Brothers (Sheridan, 2009) January
  30. Mystery Men (Usher, 1999) January

31. X-Men (Singer, 2000) January
  32. I'm Gonna Explode  (Naranjo, 2008) January
  33. Mad Detective (To, 2007) January
  34. A Simple Plan (Raimi, 1998) January
  35. My Beautiful Laundrette (Frears, 1985) January
  36. Tulpan (Dvortsevoy, 2008) January
  37. Sherlock Holmes (Ritchie, 2009) January
  38. The Book Of Eli (The Hughes Brothers, 2010) January

39. The Corporation (Abbott; Achbar, 2003) January

40. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Thomas, 2009) January
  41. Ninja Assassin (McTeigue, 2009) January

Film Of The Month

January
Best - Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950)
Worst - Ninja Assassin (McTeigue, 2009)

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 31/1/2010 8:34:07 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1762
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 8:47:21 PM   
elab49

The Frightened City (Lemont, 1961)

A Brit noir that suffers slightly, particularly in music, from too close an attempt to ape the US originals.

The initial shots are rather pleasing, lit by the headlights of a car chasing a man down. Then you go straight into plonkety plonk C&W as you get a ta da title that comes on like the title of a 50s US cop show> The first clue that something is geographically odd is that you could swear you saw an ad for Jimmy Edwards in panto slide off the edge of the screen, although the titles pushing forward at the front of a car ah la Naked Gun kind of seems amusing now.

An accountant follows up on his idea of combining gangs to improve the take on the widespread protection racket and the gang recruit hardman Paddy Damian (Sean Connery) as an enforcer. This is clearly a calling card for Bond – the often snappily witty script gives him the kind of one-liners he'd get used to and he even has to deal with a foreign Mr Big showing him round his plush and dangerous art collection!  Leaving both pointless love interests aside, it's well-played all round although Lom doesn't have much to do and they don't spend enough time with John Gregson's enjoyable cop (I'm guessing the police input is what made him such an attractive character in the piece – and I love that the  technical advisor is a copper named Careless from the Flying Squad!).

Certainly worth looking out but the better noirs in the UK did still incorporate US themes but still found  their own rhythm, This doesn't quite break out.

The Beguiled (Siegel, 1971)

I think there is something of an expectation from Don Siegel films, particularly when they star Clint Eastwood. But he's thrown a couple of oddities out there as well – I like Two Mules for Sister Sara, e.g., although occasionally the humour balance doesn't quite sit right. But, IMO, what you didn't really expect was him presiding over a tale of emasculation – in the same year Harry Callaghan burst onto the scene in San Francisco Siegel made his oddest film - the Eastwood starring civil war film The Beguiled.

Injured Union soldier John McBurney is helped by a young girl (12, old enough for kissin' – this is the American south!). She takes him to her nearby school – for young Confederate girls, presided over by the determined Geraldine Fitzgerald as Miss Martha, whose messed up take on sexuality is infected by an inappropriate relationship with her brother. I've always had a fairly fixed view of this opening – a young girl skips through the forest, with basket in hand. All she needs is her red cape, because she sure meets a smooth-talking wolf. And it is, for me, no coincidence that later some chopping gets done!

So the wolf pitches up at the school – soft-voiced, polite. With a slow smile, knowing exactly what he is doing to the young women in that inevitably claustrophobic atmosphere bringing sex into their lives as they live in fear not only from his compatriots but from their own side, deprived of women for so long. He set out to seduce them one by one – the anointed successor and good girl Edwina, the slut Carol. Fitzgerald reminds me of Lady MacBeth at times, particularly the talk of the last supper and the invitation for Red Riding Hood to return to the woods with a different purpost. The makers conjure a dreamy atmosphere at times matched to a rather bold dream sequence with a playful Schifrin score in a fascinating and claustrophobic tale.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 8/7/2010 1:11:04 PM >

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1763
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 9:34:44 PM   
impqueen

January 2010
Best & Worst
vs.

Director(s) of the Month
Jacques Becker 03 (Casque d’or, Touchez pas au grisbi, Le trou)
Billy Wilder 03 (The Apartment, Avanti!, The Fortune Cookie)

01. Campanadas a medianoche / Chimes at Midnight (Welles, 1965) FR/SPN/SUI
02. Notorious (Hitchcock, 1946) USA

03. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) USA
04. The Wind (Sjöström, 1928) USA
05. Lawrence of Arabia (Lean, 1962) UK
06. The Maltese Falcon (Huston, 1941) USA
07. Aruitemo aruitemo/Still Walking (Koreeda, 2008) JPN (First View)
08. Le trou / The Hole (Becker, 1960) FR/ITA (First View)
09. A Serious Man (Coen, 2009) USA (First View)
10. The Apartment (Wilder, 1960) USA

11. Nightmare Alley (Goulding, 1947) USA
12. Casque d’or / Golden Marie (Becker, 1952) FR (First View)
13. Sans Soleil (Marker, 1983) FR (First View)
14. Living in Oblivion (DiCillo, 1995) USA
15. Greed (von Stroheim, 1924/1999) USA
16. Children of Men (Cuarón, 2006) UK/USA

17. The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes (Quay, 2005) GER/UK/FR (First View)
18. Morvern Callar (Ramsay, 2002) UK/CAN
19. The Road (Hillcoat, 2009) USA (First View)
20. Dare mo shiranai / Nobody Knows (Koreeda, 2004) JPN (First View)
21. Touchez pas au grisbi / Hands Off the Loot (Becker, 1954) FR/ITA (First View)

22. Went the Day Well? (Cavalcanti, 1942) UK
23. Sullivan’s Travels (Sturges, 1941) USA
24. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi / Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001) JPN
25. Humpday (Shelton, 2009) USA (First View)
26. Under the Volcano (Huston, 1984) USA (First View)
27. Sud pralad / Tropical Malady (Weerasethakul, 2004) THA (First View)
28. Kiss of the Spider Woman (Babenco, 1985) BRA/ USA
29. Gake no ue no Ponyo / Ponyo (Miyazaki, 2008) JPN (First View)
30. The Lovely Bones (Jackson, 2009) USA/UK/NZ (First View)
31. Bakjwi / Thirst (Park, 2009) SKR (First View)

32. The School of Rock (Linklater, 2003) USA
33. The Fortune Cookie (Wilder, 1966) USA
34. Okuribito/Departures (Takita, 2008) JPN (First View)
35. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Herzog, 2009) USA (First View)
36. Ginger Snaps (Fawcett, 2000) CAN
37. Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 1951) USA
38. Up in the Air (Reitman, 2009) USA (First View)

39. Primer (Carruth, 2004) USA (First View)
40. Sherlock Holmes (Ritchie, 2009) UK/AUS/USA (First View)
41. Avanti! (Wilder, 1972) USA
42. Away We Go (Mendes, 2009) USA (First View)
43. Invictus (Eastwood, 2009) USA (First View)
44. The Brothers Bloom (Johnson, 2008) USA (First View)
45. Georgy Girl (Narizzano, 1966) UK
46. Nowhere Boy (Taylor-Wood, 2009) UK/CAN (First View)
47. Adam Resurrected (Schrader, 2008) GER/USA/ISR (First View)

48. 30 Days of Night (Slade, 2007) USA
49. The Book of Eli (Hughes, 2010) USA (First View)
50. Tequila Sunrise (Towne, 1988) USA
51. Edge of Darkness (Campbell, 2010) UK/USA (First View)

52. The Terminal (Spielberg, 2004) USA
53. Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008) UK
54. Zack and Miri Make a Porno (Smith, 2008) USA (First View)
55. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) USA (First View)
56. The Three Musketeers (Herek, 1993) USA
57. Penelope (Palansky, 2006) UK/USA (First View)

58. The Blind Side (Hancock, 2009) USA (First View)
59. Another Stakeout (Badham, 1993) USA (First View)

60. 10, 000 BC (Emmerich, 2008) USA (First View)

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1764
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 9:41:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

01. Campanadas a medianoche / Chimes at Midnight (Welles, 1965) FR/SPN/SUI
02. Notorious (Hitchcock, 1946) USA

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1765
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 9:49:47 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

20. Up in the Air (2009, Reitman)
My 2nd cinema viewing of the year, but my 32nd feature overall. I may aim for 33, still over 2 hours left, but let's get this out of the way first.
A very topical film, dealing with the effects of the recession, but not from the hurt people's point of view. That's a very fresh take in my opinion, and I might say Reitman spoiled it by adding another storyline, but that's not entirely fair.
Clooney's character is very well written and acted - sympathetic, but not overtly so, in short, human. He has great chemistry with the other two leads (if you can call them that), who also give great performances (though Kendrick's crying is a bit )
I'm not quite sure at what the film is trying to achieve. Its comedic and stylistic aspects work totally, but I have mixed feelings about the drama. SPOILERS The reveal of Farmiga having a family comes out of nowhere, perhaps it would be more effective if it didn't go for shock effect and would let the audience know before Clooney I quite like films that start off cynically and end romantically (Before Sunrise, The Apartment, and many more), and this added a nice twist to it, so I think that worked. Still, something is missing. I decided to give this a low 8 and maybe re-watch it later this year.
PS. Fuck this film for making a reference to Amelie

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 31/1/2010 9:51:24 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1766
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 11:07:20 PM   
TRM

January

Feature lengths (45mins plus):
  1. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001, France/Germany) - Jan
  2. The shop around the corner (Ernst Lubitsch, 1940, USA) - Jan
  3. Departures (Yojiro Takita, Japan, 2008) - Jan
  4. Assault on precinct 13 (John Carpenter, 1976, USA) - Jan
  5. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (Michel Gondry, 2004, USA) - Jan
  6. Mad detective (Jonny To and Ka-Fai Wai, 2007, Hong Kong) - Jan
  7. Ugetsu monogatari (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953, Japan) - Jan
  8. The wind (Victor Sjostrom, 1928, USA) - Jan
  9. Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988, Japan) - Jan
  10. The ladykillers (Alexander Mackendrick, 1955, UK) - Jan
  11. Following (Christopher Nolan, 1998, UK) - Jan
  12. The Italian job (Peter Collinson, UK, 1969) - Jan
  13. The unbearable lightness of being (Philip Kaufman, 1988, USA) - Jan
  14. My darling Clementine (John Ford, 1946, USA) - Jan
  15. Up in the air (Jason Reitman, 2009, USA) - Jan
  16. The Bourne identity (Doug Liman, USA/Germany/Czech Republic, 2002) - Jan
  17. Once upon a time in the west (Sergio Leone, 1968, USA/Italy) - Jan
  18. To have and have not (Howard Hawks, 1944, USA) - Jan
  19. The iron giant (Brad Bird, 1999, USA) - Jan
  20. My neighbours the Yamadas (Isao Takahata, 1999, Japan) - Jan
  21. 5 centimetres per second (Makoto Shinkai, 2007, Japan) - Jan
  22. Star trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009, USA/Germany) - Jan
  23. Two lovers (James Gray, 2008, USA) - Jan
  24. Pauline at the beach (Eric Rohmer, 1983, France) - Jan
  25. The roaring twenties (Raoul Walsh, 1939, USA) - Jan
  26. All that heaven allows (Douglas Sirk, 1955, USA) - Jan
  27. Touching the void (Kevin Macdonald, 2003, UK) - Jan
  28. Tiger on the beat (Chai-Liang Liu, 1988, Hong Kong) - Jan
  29. South park: Bigger, longer and uncut (Trey Parker, 1999, USA) - Jan
  30. Panic room (David Fincher, 2002, USA) - Jan
  31. The odd couple (Gene Saks, 1968, USA) - Jan
  32. Murder on the orient express (Sidney Lumet, 1974, UK) - Jan
  33. The wicker man (Robin Hardy, 1973, UK) - Jan
  34. The chaser (Hong-Jin Na, South Korea, 2008) - Jan
  35. To die for (Gus Van Sant, 1995, UK/USA) - Jan
  36. Suspicion (Alfred Hitchcock, 1941, USA) - Jan
  37. Reservation road (Terry George, USA/Germany, 2007) - Jan
  38. The pink panther (Blake Edwards, 1963, UK/USA) - Jan
  39. A simple plan (Sam Raimi, 1998, UK/USA/France/Germany/Japan) - Jan
  40. Superman 2 (Richard Lester, 1980, UK) - Jan
  41. Robocop (Paul Verhoeven, 1987, USA) - Jan
  42. Superman (Richard Donner, 1978, Canada/UK/USA) - Jan
  43. Nanook of the north (Robert J. Flaherty, USA/France, 1922) - Jan
  44. The road (John Hillcoat, 2009, USA) - Jan
  45. Nowhere boy (Sam Taylor Wood, UK/Canada, 2009) - Jan
  46. Love on the run (Francois Truffaut, 1979, France) - Jan
  47. Brothers (Jim Sheridan, 2009, USA) - Jan
  48. Gentlemen prefer blondes (Howard Hawks, 1953, USA) - Jan
  49. Nine (Rob Marshall, USA/Italy, 2009) - Jan
  50. Doubt (John Patrick Shanley, 2008, USA) - Jan
  51. The corpse bride (Tim Burton & Mike Johnson, 2005, USA/UK) - Jan
  52. Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie, 2009, UK/Australia/USA) - Jan
  53. I'm gonna explode (Gerardo Neranjo, 2008, Mexico) - Jan
  54. Jour de fete (Jacques Tati, France, 1949) - Jan
  55. Attack the gas station (Sang-Jin Kim, 1999, South Korea) - Jan
  56. The boys from Fengkuei (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1983, Taiwan) - Jan
  57. Don't look now (Nicolas Roeg, 1973, UK/Italy) - Jan
  58. James and the giant peach (Henry Selick, 1996, UK/USA) - Jan
  59. The book of Eli (Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes, 2010, USA) - Jan
  60. Cassandra's dream (Woody Allen, 2007, UK/USA/France) - Jan
  61. Hanzo the razor: Sword of justice (Kenji Misumi, 1972, Japan) - Jan
  62. Cyborg (Albert Pyun, 1989, USA) - Jan
  63. Ninja assassin (John McTeigue, USA/Germany, 2009) - Jan

Short films (less than 45mins):

1. Alma (Rodrigo Blaas, 2009, 6mins) - Jan
  2. Werner Herzog eats his shoe (Les Blank, 1980, 20mins) - Jan
  3. Hostage: A love story (Hank Nelken, 2009, 5mins) - Jan
  4. The life and death of 9413, a Hollywood extra (Robert Florey & Slavko Vorkapich, 1928, 11mins) - Jan
A pretty decent month

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1767
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 11:32:47 PM   
Epiphany Demon

And so I end January with Thirst by Park Chan-Wook; ambitious, messy, structurally flawed - but unique, superbly acted and rather fantastic. A 4.5 from me.

41 feature films this month and 10 shorts gives me 51. That's just over a fifth of my target already. So I am happy and very happy with the quality of films seen this month as well; I have watched my favourite film though, so anything planning to usurp The Shining in the next 11 months is going to have it's work cut out!

5/5
  1. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980, UK/USA) Jan *
  2. Monsters, Inc. (Docter, 2001, USA) Jan *
  3. The Consequences Of Love (Sorrentino, 2004, ITA) Jan
  4. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994, USA) Jan *
  5. Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993, USA) Jan *

4.5/5
  6. Thirst (Chan-Wook, 2009, SKR) Jan
  7. Kung Fu Hustle (Chow, 2004, CHN/HKG) Jan *
  8. The Apartment (Wilder, 1960, USA) Jan
  9. Harold And Maude (Ashby, 1971, USA) Jan
  10. The Wrestler (Aronofsky, 2008, USA/FRA) Jan

4/5
  11. Up In The Air (Reitman, 2009, USA) Jan
  12. Sherlock Jr. (Keaton, 1924, USA) Jan
  13. On The Town (Donen/Kelly, 1949, USA) Jan
  14. Antichrist (von Trier, 2004, DEN/FRA/GER/ITA/POL/SWE) Jan

3.5/5
  15. Zatôichi (Kitano, 2003, JPN) Jan
  16. The Birth Of A Nation (Griffith, 1915, USA) Jan
  17. Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009, USA) Jan *
  18. Small Soldiers (Dante, 1998, USA) Jan *

3/5
  19. The General (Bruckman/Keaton, 1926, USA) Jan
  20. Lilja 4-Ever (Moodysson, 2002, DEN/SWE) Jan
  21. Avatar (Cameron, 2009, USA) Jan
  22. F For Fake (Welles, 1973, FRA/GER/IRN) Jan
  23. The Taking Of Pelham 123 (Scott, 2009, USA) Jan
  24. Ruthless People (Abrahams/Zucker/Zucker, 1986, USA) Jan

2.5/5
  25. Mean Girls (Waters, 2004, USA/CAN) Jan
  26. A Knight's Tale (Helgeland, 2001, USA) Jan
  27. Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle/Tandan, 2008, UK) Jan *
  28. Happy Gilmore (Dugan, 1996, USA) Jan
  29. The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters (Gordon, 2007, USA) Jan
  30. Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla (Beaudine, 1952, USA) Jan
  31. Observe And Report (Hill, 2009, USA) Jan
  32. American Pie 2 (Rogers, 2001, USA) Jan *
  33. A Bucket Of Blood (Corman, 1959, USA) Jan

2/5
  34. Employee Of The Month (Coolidge, 2006, USA) Jan *
  35. Moulin Rouge! (Luhrmann, 2001, AUS/USA) Jan
  36. Bandslam (Graff, 2009, USA) Jan

1.5/5
  37. The Little Shop Of Horrors (Corman, 1960, USA) Jan
  38. Cruel Intentions (Kumble, 1999, USA) Jan

1/5
  39. Dreamgirls (Condon, 2006, USA) Jan
  40. Cheaper By The Dozen (Levy, 2003, USA) Jan *
  41. The Invention Of Lying (Gervais/Robinson, 2009, USA) Jan

Shorts Of The Year

1. Duck Amuck (Jones, 1953, USA) Jan * - 5/5
  2. Duck Dodgers In The 24½th Century (Jones, 1952, USA) Jan - 4.5/5
  3. Rabbit Fire (Jones, 1950, USA) Jan - 4/5
  4. One Froggy Evening (Jones, 1955, USA) Jan - 4/5
  5. Duck! Rabbit! Duck! (Jones, 1953, USA) Jan - 4/5
  6. The Cat Concerto (Barbera/Hanna, 1946, USA) Jan - 4/5
  7. What's Opera, Doc? (Jones, 1957, USA) Jan - 4/5
  8. The Cat Piano (Gibson/White, 2009, AUS) Jan - 4/5
  9. Rabbit Seasoning (Jones, 1952, USA) Jan - 3.5/5
  10. Herr Meets Hare (Freleng, 1945, USA) Jan - 2.5/5

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1768
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 31/1/2010 11:53:07 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

And my last film of the month is
9. The Kid (1921, Chaplin)
My 2nd Chaplin after City Lights, and simply amazing. Funny, warm, and touching, especially when you consider the background. I watched the 1971 edit with a Chaplin score (was there anything he couldn't do?), and it clocks at only 50 mins, which makes it almost a short. Anyway, I almost cried, and even though the "Dreamland" sequence is a little odd, this certainly deserves a 9

That makes this my 33rd feature of the year, and month, too, of course. Full pictorial report in a few...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1769
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/2/2010 12:03:47 AM   
paul_ie86

26. Often an Orpan (Jones, 1949)

30. To Hare Is Human (Jones, 1956)

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI