Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 1:30:52 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
(and Ripley wasn't even the main character in Alien),

Um - she wasn't?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1531
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:00:51 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

(and Ripley wasn't even the main character in Alien),

Um - she wasn't?

She only is at the end of the film, when she becomes the focus, but in the first hour and a half of the film she is given as much importance as the rest of the crew.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1532
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:15:20 PM   
elab49

I disagree. They do a wonderful set-up with Dallas ostensibly as the action hero in charge, and it is a wonderful sleight of hand and, IMO, deliberate - but it is Ripley who has to consider quarantine, Ripley who has it out with Ash, it's Ripley who deals with Brett and Parker, it's Ripley who first tries to work out where they are. The focus is always there - first time I saw it I knew who the main character was, I didn't need to be told. And I enjoyed the slight misdirection - but it is, IMO, just that - a matter of expectation at that point as to the 'who' for the 'hero'.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1533
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:28:43 PM   
Deviation

While she is making some of the actions I still wouldn't consider her as the main character for most of the film (What was her role in the ship? Wouldn't her position in the ship oblige her do such actions?), it does seem as if the film is choosing which person to make its main. I cannot say if I'd ever be able to recognize Ripley as the main character from the start though, popular knowledge and its sequels confirmed that before I had my first watch.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 27/1/2010 2:31:07 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1534
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:31:37 PM   
elab49

I think it is structural though, not 20-20 hindsight. She's the one interacting with most of the other characters, the one involved in more of the small group conversations. I'm not sure role on the ship is relevant, but what and who the camera chooses to show doing it.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1535
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:34:08 PM   
Deviation

You are probably right.

Alien re-watch imminent. HUZZAH!

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1536
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 2:35:07 PM   
elab49

Any excuse for that

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1537
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 3:22:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

5. The Man Without a Past 3/5
An oddity from Finland, but quite charming in its own way

8. A Serious Man 2/5
Odd even for the Coen Brothers

11. Shoot the Duke 2/5
Cheap and not so cheerful

12. Couples Retreat 2/5
I swear that somewhere on the script there's a * saying jokes will be added later

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 27/1/2010 10:08:20 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1538
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 4:10:46 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Couples Retreat 2/5
I swear that somewhere on the script there's a * saying jokes will be added later

A Serious Man 2/5

Shoot the Duke 2/5

It makes me sad that you rate A Serious Man the same as Couples Retreat. I know they aren't linked in anyway, and that you were probably rating them on entirely different things, but still. I liked it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1539
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 4:49:12 PM   
m_er

7/10 (500) Days of Summer (2009) - sweet
8/10 District 9 (2009) - A different look an Aliens. A must-see for Aliens fans.
4/10 The Proposal (2009) - Very very predictable. Boring and to some point irritating.
7/10 It's Complicated (2009)
8/10 Julie & Julia (2009) - Meryl deserves an Oscar. Seen It's Complicated and Julie & Julia recenly I'm now fully convinced now that Meryl is the best actress in the 20th century.
5/10 Superbad (2007) - Pineapple Express or American Pie is better.
8/10 The Hangover (2009) - Absolutely entertainig. Comedy fans don't miss this.
8/10 The Hurt Locker (2008) The most literally exciting war-drama film I've ever seen. Beside that, to me, this has been the best Iraq movie.
4/10 The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) - Didn't like it. Perhaps I took this film too seriously!
9/10 A Serious Man (2009). Coen Brothers best film since Fargo. Michael Stuhlbarg is great.
The Messenger 6/10 Another Iraq based film. An officer Ben Foster, is assigned to be a messenger to next-of-kins who have died in Iraq alongside the elder Lieutenant Woody Harrelson. Some cry-out-loud, touching and hard to watch moments.
7/10 Fantastic Mr.Fox (2009) - Original. Cool and funny, entertaining.A lot of great quotes/dialogues but not my best animated movie

My Noms so far:
Best Picture Of The year:
10/10 Avatar: An IMAX 3D (2009)
9/10 Inglourious Basterds (2009)
8/10 The Hurt Locker (2008)

Best Directing Of The year:
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
A Serious Man (2009)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Hangover (2009)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Best Performances Of The Year
10/10 Michael Stuhlbarg (Larry Gopnik ) - A Serious Man (2009)
10/10 Meryl Streep (Julia Child) - Julie & Julia (2009)
10/10 Christoph Waltz (COL. Hans Landa) - Inglourious Basterds (2009)
8/10 Meryl Streep (Jane) - It's Complicated (2009)
10/10 Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock Holmes) - Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Best Original Screenplay Of The Year
8/10 The Hangover (2009) - Absolutely entertainig and totally hilarious. Comedy fans don't miss this.
8/10 District 9 (2009) - A different and original look on Aliens. A must-see for Aliens fans.

Best Animated Feature Of The Year:
Fantastic Mr.Fox

[/quote]

< Message edited by m_er -- 27/1/2010 4:57:05 PM >

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 1540
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 4:51:36 PM   
m_er

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Couples Retreat 2/5

A Serious Man 2/5

Shoot the Duke 2/5

It makes me sad that you rate A Serious Man the same as Couples Retreat. I know they aren't linked in anyway, and that you were probably rating them on entirely different things, but still. I liked it.

Absolutely. A Serious Man is a very good film. Simple but so good like Fargo. Typical Coen brothers!

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 1541
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 5:16:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: m_er

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Couples Retreat 2/5

A Serious Man 2/5

Shoot the Duke 2/5

Absolutely. A Serious Man is a very good film. Simple but so good like Fargo. Typical Coen brothers!

I thought A Simple Man actually had very little to offer. Some might like the nuanced way it develops, I found it boring and hard work.

If its any consolation I rate it a higher 2/5 than Couples Retreat

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 1542
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 5:22:15 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

A Simple Man?
A Serious Man is one of the best films of the decade, IMO.

Anyway, I saw two great films yesterday

Features:

6. Dung che sai duk [Ashes of Time] (1994, Wong)
My 3rd film by the prominent director, and again, I'm impressed. The storyline is nearly impossible to follow, but the imagery is incredible and Wong's intricate patterning, helped by great acting, make this a great film. I watched the original cut, and the redux looks even better, so for now it's a very high 8

Shorts:

4. Radio Dynamics (1942, Fischinger) {4 mins}
My first Fischinger, hypnotically good. No video link, sadly, but I know where to download it if you want to see it. And even if you don't want to see it, you should, cause it's an easy 10

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 1543
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 6:47:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

A Simple Man?
A Serious Man is one of the best films of the decade, IMO.

Meh, it couldn't even hold my attention enough for me to remember the film's name. I'm stifling a yawn still.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 27/1/2010 6:48:11 PM >

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1544
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 7:45:08 PM   
swordsandsandals

I've not seen you around for a while, Prof, how've you been. I remember following your list, having not seen any of them. I've now watched Ikiru and Lawrence of Arabia (maybe a couple of others, I can't remember the entire list). Ikiru is incredible, I loved it. Partly down to your recommendation that I watched it in the first place. Lawrence was... good, but I didn't automatically love it. I much preferred Bridge on the River Kwai.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 1545
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 7:58:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Good to see you too S&S thanks for the feedback, Ikiru is an amazing film I think. I have Kurosawa's Sanjuro in front of me, but haven't got round to seeing it. Fraid my posting slowed down after my company reissued its dos and don'ts policy for using the web at work. I'm about half way through a top 100 of my Golden Oldies that I'll pick up again in Feb.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 1546
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:13:46 PM   
Epiphany Demon

16. Lilja 4-Ever (Moodysson, 2002, DEN/SWE) Jan 3.5/5

A well made and excellently acted, but just a little too bleak for my taste. Do something fun for God's sake!

27. A Bucket Of Blood (Corman, 1959, USA) Jan 2.5/5

Good fun film and great premise, rather cornily acted though.

On the performances list:
9. Lilja - Oksana Akinshina (Lilja 4-Ever)
21.Volodya - Artyom Bogucharsky (Lilja 4-Ever)

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1547
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:16:47 PM   
Piles

#03. Passion (1982, Jean-Luc Godard)
"Passion” stars Isabelle Huppert as a factory worker imaginatively named Isabelle who is somewhat romantically involved with Polish film director Jerzy (Jerzy Radziwilowicz), who is attempting to make a film that has no script and no real direction. "Passion” is a film which calls to mind several other films, both made by Godard and by other directors. It could be viewed as the centrepiece in a kind of trilogy of Godard's early eighties work. "Slow Motion” (1980) saw Jacques Dutronc's Paul Godard – a former video filmmaker – going through both creative block and a mid-life crisis, in the process re-assessing the separate particles that make up his life and the decisions he has made in it. "Prenom Carmen” (1983) features Jean-Luc Godard played a version of himself in a mental ward, who – again – is implied to be a former film director. All three of these films discuss the art of filmmaking, the inner nuances of the process, and the effect that it can have on a person. "Passion” is the film which discusses the filmmaking process to the fullest, asking questions on the relationship between artistry and real life, merging the distinction between the two, and leaving the director involved with moral and philosophical quandaries to do with both the script he is working on and the life he is living. It's also very easy to compare it to "Le Mepris” or "Eight and a Half” (the film being made by Jerzy has a very Italian existentialist feel to it), both of which are deep, contemplative looks at the creative process. But enough about "Passion” in relation to other films, because it deserves to be discussed on its own merit, too. The fact that the film provides two very different, very distinct visual atmospheres is certainly worthy of commandment. The scenes within the struggling movie studio, which sees extras and actors don either medieval costumes or not much at all, bring with them a sense of stylized, lavish perfection. They also seem quite fake, their over-sharp nature suggesting a foundation of celluloid rather than real life. The other scenes bring with them a sense of documentary-style realism, shot on seemingly handheld cameras, capturing the dull, grainy hues of every-day life. It's also worthy of note that these scenes, the ones outside of the movie studio, bring with them some surreal, ridiculous events, including such bizarre happenings as chases around a factory and a hotel cleaner doing aerobics at seemingly random intervals. The movie-within-a-movie scenes, however, seem measured and calculated, with no room for chaos or error. Could this be a comment from Godard about film's inability to capture the sporadic randomness of every day life? With fantastic performances (particularly by Huppert) and an emotive, evocative score, "Passion” takes its place amongst Godard's very best films. 5/5.

#14. Prenom Carmen (1983, Jean-Luc Godard)
Carmen X (Maruschka Detmers) is a young revolutionary who decides to rob a bank. When she does, she meets a young police officer named Joseph Bonnafe (Jacques Bonnaffe), who she promptly falls in love with. Godard's pushing of conventions and boundaries continues in "Prenom Carmen”, with the film using ridiculous gunfire, sporadic sexual (often quite graphic at nearly always passionate) encounters, and ridiculous crime sequences to create a highly fictionalized alternate reality. The director, as always, wants you to know that this is a film and not real life, and it's interesting to note that many of these later films (particularly the ones made in the early eighties) raise questions about perhaps the most famous of Godard quotes; "cinema is truth twenty four frames per second”. Perhaps, in his old(er) age, Godard was going against his young self's views, or perhaps he has continued this thought, because his eighties cinema is more a reflection of truth than the pure form of it. Perhaps this comes as a result of the director's growing apathy with the art form, because "Prenom Carmen” certainly implies so. Several times, Carmen or Godard himself do something because it will "make good dialogue”, which begs the question; does life spawn art, or vice versa? Aesthetically, this is in keeping with "Slow Motion”, "Passion” (at least the non-film segments in "Passion”, and the subsequent "Hail Mary”, in that is a much more grounded, down to earth, and realistic looking film than the hyper colour explosions of Godard's sixties output. Some would argue, I'm sure, this would go against the major theme of the director's eighties work (the questioning of fiction's place in life), but I think it works in the film's favour. By grounding this and the two previous films in absolute reality, the moments of high-fiction (the use of slow motion in "Slow Motion”, the lip syncing in "Passion”, the string quartet in this film) break upon the film like waves on the shore. And that brings me nicely to what is perhaps the only flaw in this film; the extended images of waves crashing against the shore. If there are two images which everyday film-viewers would say are 'pretentious', it would be that one, and the infamous 'cloud shot'. Both are present here. I wouldn't say I share that opinion, because when used well like, say, in Van Sant's "Elephant” or the rural documentary "Sleep Furiously”, they can add dimensions to films, but here it just seems reaching, unnecessary, and relatively meaningless. But that's just a minor negative in an otherwise stellar film. It's an entertaining, thoughtful, and engaging film with some superb humour which ranges from the meta to the macabre and a really-quite-special central performance by Maruschka Detmers. 4/5.

#37. Whale Rider (2002, Niki Caro)
Niki Caro's film tells the story of Paikea (Keisha Castle-Hughes), a young Maori girl who struggles with the traditional values of her people and a grandfather who refuses to recognize her. "Whale Rider” (there's no definite article in the original title) is a sweet film, one aimed partly at the family but with a spiritual, almost metaphysical element to it which gives it more depth and strength than most films of that particular genre. It's a film about life, love, and – most importantly – rejection. It doesn't pull its punches, showing you life as it happens in this community, living with its characters and getting deep beneath their skin. That goes especially for the lead character, Paikea, who is wonderfully formed and emotionally engaging. She is a character who refuses to go with social conventions, bucking stereotypes not just for the sake of it, but for the furthering of her own personality and to reach her eventual calling in life. Her journey is one that is gradually constructed, obtained bit by bit rather than all at once, and Caro should certainly be applauded for this intelligent and slow-burn approach to a familiar genre. There are a few flaws here and there, particularly with the ending, which goes on for far to long and panders to a demographic that Caro had – thus far – managed to keep at bay with intelligence and emotion. The supporting characters also suffer when compared to Paikea, particularly Koro (Rawiri Paratene), her grandfather, who desperately needs character depth but very rarely gets it. These flaws, though, aren't exactly overwhelming, and as it is the story of Paikea and her struggle against the conventions of her time and place, they are excusable. The performances are also something to be praised, particularly – again – that of Keisha Castle-Hughes, who manages to overcome the clichés and contrivances that her performance could have so easily entailed and create a memorable, pitch perfect character, and one of the better child performances of the twenty first century so far to boot. 4/5.

#57. Jurassic Park (1993, Steven Spielberg)
I know that this will probably do my reputation as a fun-hating, blockbuster-hating, boring old fart no good whatsoever, but "Jurassic Park” is an overrated film. It may not help that I hadn't seen it since I was about ten, and so I've lost that keen sense of nostalgia which is what I guess keeps it at the top of so many film-orientated lists as people travel well into adulthood, but this – the story of a potential theme park which has cloned dinosaur DNA and brought the pre-historic beasts back to life – is an incredibly mixed bag. The main thing I didn't like about it is just how repetitive it gets. There's a scene about forty minutes in, soon after Sam Neill and the gang have taken to the park on foot, which is wonderful. It sees Neill, Dern, Goldblum, and the kids in what is best described as hell on earth. It is pissing it down with rain, it is thundering, and there is a stray T-Rex looming in the darkness. It is also a masterclass in suspense, with Spielberg creating tangible tension, all reaching a crescendo with that now iconic moment where little ripples resonate in a glass of water. However, the second half of the film is incredibly bogged down in contrivances, and it also doesn't help that the same kind of sequences happen about four times in a row, with very little drama and even less suspense. The special effects, too, have lessened in their effect over time, but I guess that's no real fault of the film. It's probably only fair to judge a film's visual effects within the context of its time, and "Jurassic Park” was certainly groundbreaking back in 1993. If there's one thing that makes the film somewhat positive, it's the performances. That's not so much the case with Sam Neill, who is a forgettable and uncharismatic presence in the lead role, but the secondary leads and the support all do very good jobs. Laura Dern is predictably stellar, and Richard Attenborough has an absolute ball as the crazed, tunnel-visioned brain behind the theme park. It may not be "The Chess Players”, but his performance is certainly a lot of fun. Jeff Goldblum is the star, though, proving why he is the coolest man in Hollywood, putting in a performance that is far better than the film he's in. 3/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 28/1/2010 10:25:58 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 1548
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:21:18 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Now everyone decides whether mine or Piles' reviews are better

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1549
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:30:08 PM   
Piles

I'll vote for you if you vote for me?

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1550
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:33:26 PM   
Epiphany Demon

How democratic, darling.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1551
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 10:48:09 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Rule no 37 - all reviews of Jurassic Park must also reference Bob Peck.

You're reminded how much I keep meaning to rewatch Whale Rider - I don't think I've seen it since the year after it was released.

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1552
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/1/2010 11:36:30 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I think it is structural though, not 20-20 hindsight. She's the one interacting with most of the other characters, the one involved in more of the small group conversations. I'm not sure role on the ship is relevant, but what and who the camera chooses to show doing it.

I can see your argument, but I find Alien to be more of an ensemble piece up until ***SPOILERS FOR ALIEN*** Dallas dies, at least. I think Ash and Dallas get at least as much screen time and focus as Ripley does (and you're right, it is quite a neat slight-of-hand they do with Dallas), and as I think you've brought up earlier, the film is set up so as to emulate a work environment rather than any typical Hollywood power dynamic. Sure, there's a hierarchy on the ship, but nobody feels more important than anyone else until the body count starts rising.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

If there's one thing that makes the film somewhat positive, it's the performances. That's not so much the case with Sam O'Neill, who is a forgettable and uncharismatic presence in the lead role,

Sam NEILL is a fantastic lead - dryly humourous and completely relatable. There's nothing wrong with his performance.

Also, Piles in obscene rating of Hollywood blockbuster shocker. Again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1553
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 4:00:02 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I know, a score as high as 3/5 for that soulless, heartless piece of special effects crap is obscene.

Post #: 1554
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 4:01:26 AM   
rawlinson

32. (500) Days of Summer (2009; Marc Webb)

A second viewing for this film thanks to the dvd release, and my opinion on it has improved with the rewatch. While always thinking it was a good film, I thought it was just a sweet film and little more. This second watch has brought home just what an old-fashioned film it actually is. Some of the sensibilites may be modern, "Roses are red, violets are blue...", "My nickname was anal girl", but the film is not that different to romantic comedies of past eras, especially the 60s. Despite its indie credentials, it actually feels closer to Barefoot in the Park era Neil Simon to me. There's even an 80s comedy vibe about some of the scenes, especially JGL's final glance into the camera. At moments like that it's easy to see him as a young Cusack. The film has flaws. It lifts the wise little sister from Gregory's Girl but loses the sweetness of the character, L.A. is far too sanitized, Summer never seems the muse-like creation they paint her as and, to be honest, If the leads weren't so charismatic, they'd be kinda hateful. He's whiny and self-absorbed. She's cold-hearted and insensitive. But the flaws seem to fade away thanks to the great performances, the funny script, and how believable it actually is.

8/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1555
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 6:28:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5. Run Silent, Run Deep (1st view, 1958, Robert Wise) - 4/5*
My second WWII submarine film so far this year, and another that's amongst the best of the genre. This time the action is almost entirely aboard the USS Nerka, with Clark Gable as the captain intent on destroying the Japanese ship that sank his previous command, and Burt Lancaster as his second in command. It's obvious that films such as Crimson Tide and U-571 were inspired by this, though it's superior to both.

8. The Hustler (2nd view, 1961, Robert Rossen) - 4/5
It's been an awful long time since I saw this and I'd forgotten a great deal, including the entire story about the relationship between Paul Newman and Piper Laurie. Newman and George C. Scott have rarely been better.

11. Rachel and the Stranger (1st view, 1948, Norman Foster) - 4/5*
Semi-western starring William Holden as a widower who buys and marries a servant, Loretta Young. It's only when his friend Robert Mitchum comes along that he begins to treat his new wife less like a servant. Quite funny and oddly charming at times, with a thrilling finale. The three leads are all excellent, and only Gary Gray as Holden's son stopped me from liking it even more.

22. Build My Gallows High (1st view, 1947, Jacques Tourneur) - 4/5*
Classic film noir that always seems to get high praise. I generally don't like noir films, but the presence of Robert Mitchum helps this one along. The first half was better, mainly in flashback with Mitchum recounting events of three years ago, but once the story continued and took hold front and centre it went downhill.

35.Guadalcanal Diary (1st view, 1943, Lewis Seile) - 3/5*
Released just 10 months after the end of the Guadalcanal campaign, it tells the story of the Battle of Guadalcanal, through the eyes of the new recruits who become battle-hardened veteran's. Some spectacular action sequences are balanced with nice characteristic moments, I can imagine it being quite effective when it was released, but it all seems a bit too gung-ho and overly patriotic.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1556
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 10:03:49 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

I know, a score as high as 3/5 for that soulless, heartless piece of special effects crap is obscene.

WHAT.

quote:

32. (500) Days of Summer (2009; Marc Webb)

If the leads weren't so charismatic, they'd be kinda hateful. He's whiny and self-absorbed. She's cold-hearted and insensitive. But the flaws seem to fade away thanks to the great performances, the funny script, and how believable it actually is.

8/10

Count me eternally surprised that you like this film. I think you've hit on the point of the film and then kind of skipped away from it, though - I found it very acerbic and blunt in its deconstruction of the characters and the very idea of 'soulmates'. JGL and Deschanel are both incredibly charismatic, yes - but that's what makes the high points touch the stratosphere and the low points drill to the core. These people, most emphatically, do not work together. They're great people when nothing rides on it, but when the chips are down and calls must be made, there's a side to them that's incredibly unlikable and, yet, kind of relatable. I could (disturbingly) see myself in the JGL role at parts, and that heightened the impact of the spiral into oblivion for me. I found the film to be quite a solid statement on how love isn't what they say it is in pop culture - it's a much more difficult, unpredictable, harsh experience than presented. It may be a point that's made often, but I think it's made exceptionally well here.

Maybe that's just me, though.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1557
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 10:25:13 AM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

I was toying between a two and a three. The negatives really do make a huge impression, tbh, but when it came to it I could only think of a few of them to put in the review! And there are a lot of positives (Goldblum, Dern, Attenbrough, the sequence outlined above), so the review ended up reading like a positive one.

Apologies on the name mistake.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1558
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 12:06:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I could (disturbingly) see myself in JGL

I have the maturity of a five year old at times.

But actually responding to your points

Spoilers for 500 Days of Summer

I think the film itself skips away from the points it made. Tom's rejection of true love never really felt sincere to me and by the time he meets Autumn, you just know he's going to do it all over again in exactly the same way he did with Summer. He hasn't really learned or grown any wiser when it comes to relationships, he's just sorted his career out a bit and he's going to make the exact same mistakes and pursue things with the same kind of intensity all over again. And I agree it wants you to see them both as idiots, but at the same time the success of the film depends on you liking them and I think the script never really gets the balance right, and with two less interesting performers it would have fallen into chaos. That's not saying it's badly written, just that I find the tone a little uneven at times. Still a really enjoyable film though.

quote:

I was toying between a two and a three. The negatives really do make a huge impression, tbh, but when it came to it I could only think of a few of them to put in the review! And there are a lot of positives (Goldblum, Dern, Attenbrough, the sequence outlined above), so the review ended up reading like a positive one.

The trouble is I don't think any of the actors are given much of interest to do, the script really feels like it takes second place to the special effects. And this isn't just me being a joyless adult  I saw the film when it came out, so I was 13/14, and I hated it then as well.

Post #: 1559
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/1/2010 12:26:44 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

I could (disturbingly) see myself in JGL

I have the maturity of a five year old at times.

Fuck you.

quote:

Spoilers for 500 Days of Summer

I think the film itself skips away from the points it made. Tom's rejection of true love never really felt sincere to me and by the time he meets Autumn, you just know he's going to do it all over again in exactly the same way he did with Summer. He hasn't really learned or grown any wiser when it comes to relationships, he's just sorted his career out a bit and he's going to make the exact same mistakes and pursue things with the same kind of intensity all over again. And I agree it wants you to see them both as idiots, but at the same time the success of the film depends on you liking them and I think the script never really gets the balance right, and with two less interesting performers it would have fallen into chaos. That's not saying it's badly written, just that I find the tone a little uneven at times. Still a really enjoyable film though.

SPOILER WARNING CONTINUED

Again though, I think that you're meant to know that in regards to Autumn - of course he's just going to set out on the same old shit he always did, hence the counter resetting itself to 0 at the end of the film. You can only hope that he doesn't fuck it up quite so bad this time. While I agree a lot of the film's success does hinge on the likability of the performers (and that's obviously no problem here) because there has to at least be a solid core to them the audience can get behind, just to make the collapse of the relationship that much more excruciating and painful to watch. Again, this may just be me, but I really do see this cynical, caustic side to the film that I find really quite interesting. As the film's tagline goes - "This is not a love story. This is a story about love." Obviously there are better films on the subject I have and haven't seen, but I think this one deals with it pretty well, and in a non-sugar-coated fashion that really, really surprised me.

quote:

I saw the film when it came out, so I was 13/14, and I hated it then as well.

Christ. I'm trying to picture a 14 year old boy who hates Jurassic Park, and all I can come up with is Jayb. Which means this is some kind of Twilight Zone Frequency shit going on here.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1560
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI