Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 12:29:15 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

22. Love Affair (1939, McCarey)
My second McCarey feature after the excellent Duck Soup. I watched this because I wanted to watch An Affair To Remember but this is the original and available on internet archive, so I went for it instead.
Very disappointing. As you may know by now I generally detest sentimentality; the humour is incredibly uneven; and sadly even the best quality copy available is rubbish. Boyer's really great though and makes it worthwhile (barely) 6

Shorts:

4. The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall (1942, Jones) {9 mins} youtube
Jones = genius. What else is there to say? Great animation, quality voice work, superb gags. Superb. 9

10. Donald’s Snow Fight (1942, King) {7 mins} dailymotion
Silly but really imaginative 8

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1441
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 3:00:21 AM   
rawlinson

31. Moon (2009; Duncan Jones)

A second viewing of this little gem just confirmed my belief that it is the best sci-fi film of last year and probably the one with the most possibility for lasting impact. That's a strength of the script and the acting rather than any technological breakthroughs. Because unlike certain huge-budget sci-fi films of 2009, Jones took the time to create a world that was believable rather than oh so pwetty, and he hired actors rather than models. The film is also intelligently written, with a sly wit and an involving human drama at its heart. Sam Rockwell is astonishing, giving a performance that justifies all the hype about the actor over the last few years. Spacey also does his best work in a long time as the voice of the base computer, GERTY. A brilliant debut from Jones and a lesson in how to make sci-fi that's more about depth than thrills.

9/10

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 1442
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 3:35:44 AM   
rawlinson

Short Films

10. Sisyphus (1975; Marcell Jankovics)

On the surface of it a simple animated rendering of the Greek myth, but if you look closer the animation is absolutely beautiful. It's all about the strong black and white lines that fade away as Sisyphus pushes that boulder up the mountain, initially the lines reflect his strength, but they become fainter and the lines of the boulder become stronger as he gets further up the mountain and exhaustion sets in. The use of thicker then thinner shading to reflect his exhaustion as he slumps into the mountain is absolutely stunning. A brilliant, minimalist piece of art.

9/10

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 1443
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 6:57:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

6. Warlock (1st view, 1959, Edward Dmytryk) - 4/5*
Fantastic western starring Henry Fonda as a gunfighter hired as town marshall by the people of Warlock. I don't think I've ever seen it praised all that highly, which is quite a shame. I loved it.

10. The Book Of Eli (1st view, 2010, Hughes Brothers) - 4/5*
Dr. Phillip Chandler wanders round a post-apocalyptic wasteland! I was always going to love it, though I had forgot how hammy Gary Oldman can be in bad guy mode. And who is this Mila Kunis and why is she taking up space on the cinema screen?

22. Summer Interlude/Sommarlek (1st view, 1951, Ingmar Bergman) - 4/5*
Ingmar Bergman films continue to impress me, this is the fifth one now. Possibly the weakest of the bunch, but still there's a lot to like and it looks as beautiful as the rest.

8. Henry Fonda as Clay Blaisedell in Warlock
9. Denzel Washington as Eli in The Book Of Eli

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 26/1/2010 7:33:32 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1444
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 7:00:45 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

And who is this Mila Kunis and why is she taking up space on the cinema screen?

I think I can live with her taking up space.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1445
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 7:06:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

No, nothing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1446
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:06:50 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

45. The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001, Takashi Miike)
"The Happiness of the Katakuris” is one of the most bizarre, surreal experiences I've ever had watching films. It is also hilarious. The basic plot sees a Japanese family (Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Shinji Takeda, Naomi Nishida, and Tamaki Miyazaki) running a guesthouse which never seems to get any custom. However, the few guests which they do seem to get drop dead under a sequence of ridiculous circumstances, causing the Katakuris to bury them in the forest behind the house. It takes a while to get into "The Happiness of the Katakuris”. The opening few songs aren't really very good, failing to be catchy or funny, and it does seem (at least for the first hour) like a waste of a great concept. And that concept truly is incredibly good, lending itself to some macabre humour and bizarre set pieces, but Miike wastes a lot of opportunities over the first half of the film. There's not much humour, and the film struggles to get by on generic 'weirdness'. However, the second hour is a lot more focused, creating some hilarious sequences, some memorable songs, and some fantastic claymation that means the film eventually comes good on its initial promise. The performances are all hammy and over-the-top, but in a good way, with the family unit actually ringing true against a memorably ridiculous backdrop. The animation is the key strength of the film, used for the sequences which would have doubtlessly been too expensive or ambitious for Miike to film with live action. They manage to capture a volcanic eruption or a Cliffside battle with genuine tension, but the director is never too afraid to highlight how bizarre the animations are either, constantly flitting between animation and live action, sometimes even within the same shot. There's also a decent message in the film, too; that ambition and money should never come in the way of familial relationships. It may not be as strong as "Audition”, but the general bizarreness of it is enough to make "The Happiness of the Katakuris” an enjoyable romp that draws from "The Sound of Music” as much as it does "The Dawn of the Dead”. 3/5.

So fucking bizarre. Have you seen The Quiet Family? It's the South Korean film Miike adapted it from, and it's very, very different, but so much better it's not funny. You need to see it - Song Kang-ho + Min-sik Choi = awesome.

Oh, right. Song Kang-ho + Min-sik Choi = awesome, unless that film is Shiri.

Also, how can you not like Small Soldiers?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1447
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:14:59 AM   
elab49

I like Shiri.

I think, really, Katakuris is weird rather than good so it seems a pretty fair review. Double ditto the Quiet Family rec.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1448
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:15:48 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

22. Love Affair (1939, McCarey)
My second McCarey feature after the excellent Duck Soup. I watched this because I wanted to watch An Affair To Remember but this is the original and available on internet archive, so I went for it instead.
Very disappointing. As you may know by now I generally detest sentimentality; the humour is incredibly uneven; and sadly even the best quality copy available is rubbish. Boyer's really great though and makes it worthwhile (barely) 6

STOP THE PRESS. Harry Lime in agreement with Miles Messervey shocker!

It isn't a very good film is it? Hideously saccharine and unrelentingly dull. Boyer and Dunne both demonstrate a little of their often formidable star power in places but  my word, for the most part it's like having ralgex rubbed into your eyes. 2/5

quote:

I was always going to love it, though I had forgot how hammy Gary Oldman can be in bad guy mode.

How could you have forgotten, Gimli? How could you? I make a point of reminding everybody who listens about the "most overrated actor in the Worlds" end-of-pier scenery chewing!

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1449
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:17:41 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I like Shiri.

It's alright, but I'd hardly call it awesome. Just so blatantly ridiculous, and Song Kang-ho is wasted.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1450
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:19:46 AM   
MOTH

Mighty Aphrodite (Woody Allen, 1995)
A lightweight affair and the dialogue lacks the usual spark, but still put together with wit and invention, with the use of the Greek chorus good fun, (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 1451
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:21:12 AM   
elab49

quote:

and Song Kang-ho is wasted.

THis is true - blandish character, not enough screen time.

I've just realised that I've recently bought the first film from the director of his next one - I'll watch that with additional interest.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 26/1/2010 9:22:59 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 1452
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:40:55 AM   
Gram123

quote:

So fucking bizarre. Have you seen The Quiet Family? It's the South Korean film Miike adapted it from, and it's very, very different, but so much better it's not funny. You need to see it - Song Kang-ho + Min-sik Choi = awesome.

Not to mention that it's from Kim Ji-woon, who directed The Foul King, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life and The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

quote:

I've just realised that I've recently bought the first film from the director of his next one - I'll watch that with additional interest.

Rough Cut? Sounds pretty decent, if flawed, from the reviews I've seen. I'll look forward to your review.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 1453
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:44:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
quote:

Rough Cut? Sounds pretty decent, if flawed, from the reviews I've seen. I'll look forward to your review.

I bought Truck as well - I was going through the Korean films thread and picking out one or 2 to pick up and they seemed the best available options

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1454
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 9:59:52 AM   
Pigeon Army

I splashed out on a cinema triple bill today - $50 including food. Ouch. 

15. Noodle (2007, Menahemi, ISR) - 4/5
This small Israeli film tells the tale of Miri, an uptight flight attendant who lives in an apartment with her caustic sister and her sister's sharp teenage daughter. On returning from a flight, her Chinese cleaning lady says she needs to go for one hour, leaves - and never returns. The problem? The cleaning lady has left her six year old son, Lee-Yu, behind. Noodle is a film that finds quiet realism in the portrayal of its characters in an out-of-the-ordinary, but somehow feasible, situation. The characters are drawn in detail, rather than in broad strokes, and there's a beauty and care to be found in their simple, yet poignant and affecting, characterisations. The actors fill these characters out well, with Mili Avital shining in the role of twice-widowed Miri, her cold exterior a shield against ever connecting with anyone else again for fear of losing them. Playing her adolescent foil, BaoQi Chen is adorable and heartbreaking as young Lee-Yu, dubbed Noodle for his taste for the food, giving a strong and surprisingly effective child performance not unlike that of Enzo Staiola in The Bicycle Thief. There's a sense of sapping innocence to both performers, but Noodle offers a more hopeful, optimistic approach than De Sica's masterpiece, particularly relevant as the two both deal in common themes of loss, both physical and emotional. The downside of this optimistic approach is that the film jumps through some unexpectedly unrealistic hoops in order to justify its approach, and that saps a bit of the film's emotional and thematic weight because of this. However, it's a film that is ostensibly an crowd-pleaser, and it fulfills its pleasing of crowds with aplomb.

35. Astro Boy (2009, Bowers, HKG/USA/JPN) - 3/5
I admit, I'm being a bit lenient on David Bowers' adaptation of Osamu Tezuku's legendary manga series, if only because it shows surprising balls for a non-Pixar animated feature by dealing with themes that are quite a bit heavier than your average animated kids' film. While those stalwarts of the genre, the "be yourself" and "family's what you make it" themes, are still front and centre, there's actually quite a bit of thoughtful, if not exceptionally brilliant or insightful, thematic discourse on loss, capitalism, the nature of power, humanity's relationship with what we create, and humanity's relationship with the environment that we were given. A political critique of conservative capitalism is couched in the form of President Stone, a gaunt man who believes that starting wars can resurrect a man's approval rating, a man who will go to any expense to keep his "hippy" opponent Logan out of office, a man who is joins forces with a robot who can 'absorb' everything around him, creating an unstoppable juggernaut that destroys cities and infrastructure in its careless extravagance; the opening fifteen minutes deal with how we deal with grief in the form of Tenma's 'resurrection' of his dead son in Astro and in his subsequent rejection of him; apparent robot-lover Hamegg (voiced in an appropriately hammy fashion by the magnificent Nathan Lane) shows his true colours in the ring of a Gladiator-esque Colosseum deathmatch between robots, many of which he has repaired for the sole purpose of destroying; and the opening video about robots make it obvious how Metro City inhabitants are careless of the environment below them, a theme returned to time and again by the film. The script deals with these themes haphazardly, and sometimes contradicts itself (the presentation of a group of Communist robots as pratfalling buffoons), but it shows surprising bravery for attempting to tackle all of this in a film ostensibly built for kids, and that deserves praise. The remainder of the film is alright, if not anything special - the vivid, fluid, impressive animation and the excellent action choreography is balanced out by the middling voice cast (Kristen Bell and Eugene Levy do solid work, and Nathan Lane is legendary, but Bill Nighy, Nicolas Cage and Freddie Highmore are all vapid and dull voice actors, and Donald Sutherland seems to be unable to channel the necessary levels of ham required of his character) and the haphazard story. All the same, though, Astro Boy is an interesting, if not entirely successful, stab at something different than the norm, trying to tackle heavy themes and doing it with inconsistent, but notable, degrees of success.

44. It's Complicated (2009, Meyers, USA) - 1/5
And today in Know Your Enemy 101, we have It's Complicated, the latest effort from the Muttley of the rom-com world, Nancy Meyers (Nora Ephron being her Snidely Whiplash). To refer to a phrase I coined on Facebook and will now use any time I can to describe this film, It's Complicated is not, in fact, complicated at all. It is, however, shit, but I suppose It's Shit isn't really a marketable title for a rom-com these days. Meryl Streep gives a bland and boring performance as Nancy Meyers Jane Adler, a sexually-frustrated screenwriter chef who owns a massive patisserie and hasn't had sex in fiveten shit, I don't know how many years, it's very vague on this thing. In between hosting dinner parties with some screeching harpies her friends, and doting on her too-attractive-to-be-true kids (and John Krasinski, the fiancee of her eldest daughter, Melanie Laurent Caitlin Fitzgerald), she starts having an affair with her barrel-chested ex-husband, Alec Baldwin. He's an arrogant, unpleasant human being with all the decency of a sewer rat, but Baldwin makes him lovable anyway, so we wretch in our seats understand Jane's jumping back into the sack with him. Meanwhile, she's courting Steve Martin, an architect smitten with Meyers Adler and with little else to his character besides his loving Meyers Jane (and his also being divorced). It's a painfully straight-forward film - everything happens exactly the way it should, and the whole thing gets tied up in a nice, neat little bow so we can go home feeling happy about love triumphing and all that bullshit. It's not helped that Nancy Meyers writes her middle-aged characters like freshmen at university, and the only funny scenes seem to be where Meyers unwittingly moves so far into the Twilight Zone of 1980s teen comedy as to be reconfigured into goddamned Jami Gertz (the scene where Streep, Martin, Baldwin and Krasinski - seriously, he's the fiancee of Streep's oldest daughter in the film but he's everywhere - smoke dope at a party; Baldwin's nude scene). The only likable things about the film are Baldwin, the roguish, silver-tongued scamp that he is, and Krasinski, whose character's insane omnipresence comes in handy when a scene actually needs to be funny but lacks the legs to do it on its own. Martin is wasted in a bland, underwritten role (the funniest thing he does, outside of the dope thing, is pronounce 'croissants' in an amusing way), Streep is bleh, and the 'kids' all put in forgettable performances. It's Complicated is a boring film made offensive by the fact that it takes 130 minutes to say nothing, and thinks that that nothing is important and vital to us all. This is a boring film. This is a pretentious film. This is a bad film. That's not complicated.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 1455
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 10:07:05 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

And today in Know Your Enemy 101, we have It's Complicated, the latest effort from the Muttley of the rom-com world, Nancy Meyers (Nora Ephron being her Snidely Whiplash). To refer to a phrase I coined on Facebook and will now use any time I can to describe this film, It's Complicated is not, in fact, complicated at all. It is, however, shit, but I suppose It's Shit isn't really a marketable title for a rom-com these days. Meryl Streep gives a bland and boring performance as Nancy Meyers Jane Adler, a sexually-frustrated screenwriter chef who owns a massive patisserie and hasn't had sex in fiveten shit, I don't know how many years, it's very vague on this thing. In between hosting dinner parties with some screeching harpies her friends, and doting on her too-attractive-to-be-true kids (and John Krasinski, the fiancee of her eldest daughter, Melanie Laurent Caitlin Fitzgerald), she starts having an affair with her barrel-chested ex-husband, Alec Baldwin. He's an arrogant, unpleasant human being with all the decency of a sewer rat, but Baldwin makes him lovable anyway, so we wretch in our seats understand Jane's jumping back into the sack with him. Meanwhile, she's courting Steve Martin, an architect smitten with Meyers Adler and with little else to his character besides his loving Meyers Jane (and his also being divorced). It's a painfully straight-forward film - everything happens exactly the way it should, and the whole thing gets tied up in a nice, neat little bow so we can go home feeling happy about love triumphing and all that bullshit. It's not helped that Nancy Meyers writes her middle-aged characters like freshmen at university, and the only funny scenes seem to be where Meyers unwittingly moves so far into the Twilight Zone of 1980s teen comedy as to be reconfigured into goddamned Jami Gertz (the scene where Streep, Martin, Baldwin and Krasinski - seriously, he's the fiancee of Streep's oldest daughter in the film but he's everywhere - smoke dope at a party; Baldwin's nude scene). The only likable things about the film are Baldwin, the roguish, silver-tongued scamp that he is, and Krasinski, whose character's insane omnipresence comes in handy when a scene actually needs to be funny but lacks the legs to do it on its own. Martin is wasted in a bland, underwritten role (the funniest thing he does, outside of the dope thing, is pronounce 'croissants' in an amusing way), Streep is bleh, and the 'kids' all put in forgettable performances. It's Complicated is a boring film made offensive by the fact that it takes 130 minutes to say nothing, and thinks that that nothing is important and vital to us all. This is a boring film. This is a pretentious film. This is a bad film. That's not complicated.

Post #: 1456
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 10:11:42 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

On a positive note - it's a really fucking awesome patisserie. It puts the one in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance to shame in the "OH MY GOD I WANT TO LIVE HERE" stakes.

Also, I forgot -

11. Back to the Future (1985, Zemeckis, USA) - 4/5*
My first viewing in god knows how many years, Back to the Future may not be the classic I remembered it to be, but I'll be damned if it isn't a fun way to pass the time. Killer cast, great script, excellent period design, oodles of fun. Too many contrivances at the end, but otherwise nothing really wrong with it. Too bad Zemeckis never returned to the excellence of this.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1457
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 10:58:57 AM   
ElephantBoy

Two more things on it's Complicated, one it's not that bad, ok it's bad, but not that bad!  Second the scene with the dope smoking isn't funny one bit and has been done many times, for example there was an episode of Six Feet Under where the Ruth character accidently took a drug and got high, and that lend to something much more insightful and funny. 

The Opposite of Sex (Don Roos,1998, 105 Mins) 8/10
Christana Ricci has never been better, as the uptight cyical, punky, but ultimately naive Teen runaway in this belting 90's black comedy.  However the performances of Lisa Kudrow (playing against type) and long serving Martin Donovan are nearly just as good.  Brings together so many great American Directors at their best from Allen to Ashby yet has a freshness all of it's own.  Slick, very dark, yet strangely moving.

Avatar (James Cameron, 2009, 162 Mins) 7/10
Much better than i was expecting, although the 3-D experience like elements of the film felt at times a little over bearing and meloptive.  On a design level it's outstanding and the creatures are vivid and exciting to look at.  It's a film of ideas, sadly most of them are quite old hat, it's a little over long, and the characters too bland.  But quite solid for what it was.

(500) Days Of Summer (Marc Webb,2009, 95 Mins) 8/10
Second viewing of in my view the romcom of last year(which i know is saying even less than Moon being the SCI-FI of the year)  Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel are both wonderful giving bright, downbeat and insightful turn.  The film is sharply written and put together with anti-romcom and anti-film jokes, while celbrating the magic of both.  The script manages to be bleak, funny and touchy all in one.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 26/1/2010 11:02:33 AM >

Post #: 1458
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:07:01 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

On a positive note - it's a really fucking awesome patisserie. It puts the one in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance to shame in the "OH MY GOD I WANT TO LIVE HERE" stakes.

Just one point, shouldn't it have been Dick Dastardly rather than Snidely Whiplash?

Post #: 1459
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:12:44 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Two more things on it's Complicated, one it's not that bad, ok it's bad, but not that bad!  Second the scene with the dope smoking isn't funny one bit and has been done many times, for example there was an episode of Six Feet Under where the Ruth character accidently took a drug and got high, and that lend to something much more insightful and funny. 

It is that bad. I fail to see how it can't be that bad. It is offensively dull. Also, I understand that the dope smoking thing has been done many times - it's one of the most lazy, time-honoured cliches in comedy history - but I couldn't help but giggle once or twice despite myself. I blame Krasinski.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 1460
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:15:38 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just one point, shouldn't it have been Dick Dastardly rather than Snidely Whiplash?

Fucked if I know, I haven't watched Wacky Races in a decade.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1461
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:16:35 AM   
paul_ie86

16. The Fortune Cookie (Wilder, 1966)
This year is fast becoming the the year of the Lemmon for me. So far I've seen The Great Race, Days of Wine and Roses and now this. I also have Short Cuts recorded and ready to watch. Not that I'm complaining, mind. Lemmon is endlessly watchable and this proves no exception. But even better here is Walter Matthau as Lemmon's unscrupulous brother in law and lawyer "Whiplash" Willie Gingrich, who tries to scam an insurance company by exaggarating the injuries his brother in law recieves while filming a football game. Matthau brings a certain likeability to what should be an entirely unlikeable character, and is the best thing in the film

On a side note, could anyone recommend any Lemmon films outside of The Apartment, Some Like It Hot and the ones listed.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 1462
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:26:40 AM   
elab49

Paul - re the above, it is called the Insurance trilogy  But the thematic links are stronger - the view of capitalism and the US (and at least one character link from an offhand mention in Indemnity to The Apartment)

For Lemmon?

Glengarry Glen Ross
Missing
Prisoner of Second Avenue
Save the Tiger
Odd Couple
and, of course, The Front Page

And I don't care what anyone else says - I love him as Ensign Pulver. I like China Syndrome too. If you get all the satellite channels you'll find his turn in 12 Angry Men occasionally,

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1463
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:28:09 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fucked if I know, I haven't watched Wacky Races in a decade.

Yeah, it's Dastardly then. Snidely was the prototype for Dastardly that was used in Dudley Do-Right. I wasn't sure if it was a genuine mistake or if you were saying that Ephron was the original of this kind of crap and Meyers wasn't even good enough to be considered her direct copy, she was her copy's sidekick.

quote:

On a side note, could anyone recommend any Lemmon films outside of The Apartment, Some Like It Hot and the ones listed.

The Odd Couple, The Front Page, Glengarry Glen Ross, My Fellow Americans, Mister Roberts, How to Murder Your Wife and The Out of Towners.

Post #: 1464
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:29:50 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Yeah, it's Dastardly then. Snidely was the prototype for Dastardly that was used in Dudley Do-Right. I wasn't sure if it was a genuine mistake or if you were saying that Ephron was the original of this kind of crap and Meyers wasn't even good enough to be considered her direct copy, she was her copy's sidekick.

You think too highly of me. Let's be honest, though - Snidely Whiplash is the far better name.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1465
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:32:13 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

You think too highly of me. Let's be honest, though - Snidely Whiplash is the far better name.

It is a great name. I'm also a fan of Sylvester Sneekly, the alter-ego of The Hooded Claw (which is an awesome villain name)

Post #: 1466
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:36:46 AM   
elab49

quote:

My Fellow Americans, .

I forgot that! Bit embarrassing.

I'd love to add a review but I'm experiencing one of those time when I've got tons and tons of options and have no idea what to put in. Lubitsch in Berlin and House turned up, I had fun with the offers on play, the rentals arrived. Wealth of riches. I have viewing block.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1467
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:44:16 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

My Fellow Americans, .

Is that the one where he's a former president on the run with another president? I have vague memories of it if it is

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1468
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:44:25 AM   
m_er

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

6. Warlo..............

10. The Book Of El..............

22. Summer...........

8. Henry Fonda as Clay Blaisedell in Warlock
9. Denzel Washington as Eli in The Book Of Eli

Errm what's with the different numbers ? What do they refer to ?

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1469
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/1/2010 11:50:43 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

My Fellow Americans, .

Is that the one where he's a former president on the run with another president? I have vague memories of it if it is

Yup - the wonderful James Garner

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI