Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 5:40:57 PM   
Deviation

Since when did you love Mizoguchi?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 91
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 6:27:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The Karate Kid (Avildsen, 1984)

It's been an age since I watched this last. Too long in fact. After a quick check on the imdb parental advice section I figured I was safe to show it to my children. After the first ten minutes, in which my son decided he didn't want to watch it, I paused it to explain, in child-friendly terms, how some films take a bit of time to show us what the characters are like. And also to tell him some kick-ass karate scenes were coming up. (Both my children do karate, so I figured they'd love this.) Sure enough, after some moaning and occasional playing with scalextric (that'll teach me for leaving it out...) as soon as Mr Miyagi kicked some bullies' arses, he was hooked. I'm writing this now as both my children are rolling about the flat, with one of my ties around each of their heads, demonstrating on balloons just exactly what they'd do to bullies if they ever tried anything...

Try Mizoguchi next.

Or Ozu. Hell, to be honest, extrapolating the idea that far, I can see where my son gets the lack of attention from...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 92
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 6:27:43 PM   
impqueen

01. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) USA 9.5
If you have seen Kane you will have no doubt formed an opinion, you’ll either loathe it and its reputation, deeming it as boring and nowhere near as awesome as people have said in the past and anyone who thinks it deserves it’s oft cited reputation as “The Greatest Film of All Time” TM is a deluded fool agreeing for the sake of doing so. Or you will actually love it not only for it’s still astonishing technical achievements but also because it’s a fascinating and incredibly gripping film with a great plot and an excellent screenplay backed up by a superb cast of character actors/actresses and one of Welles' finest performances as an actor. Of course there are those who are totally indifferent toward the film but I’ve yet to meet anyone who does not have a little bit of an extreme reaction to Citizen Kane. For my part it is not my preferred Welles film (not as director or actor) but it easily makes my Top 100/50 Films every time.

04. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi / Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001) JPN 8.2
Is Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki’s masterpiece? The answer is, quite possibly, though I myself prefer Porco Rosso for sheer fun and enjoyment, not that Spirited Away isn’t a glorious piece of cinematic animation. It certainly looks a whole lot prettier than Rosso; the digital animation is beautiful. Luckily the film does not rely on technology alone, no there’s a story too, and a far more complex one than it initially appears as lead character Chihiro slowly begins to forget that her parents have been transformed into pigs as she works in a (corrupt, greedy and excessive) bathhouse for spirits. The spoiled Chihiro has exchanged her identity and name for the job; she has become separated from everything she knows and must try and make her way back to her own reality, she must move on from childhood as her own past begins to slowly slip away, on the way she will experience discrimination at the hands of the spirits, neglect and loneliness.

Spoilers!

08. Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 1951) USA 7

Farley Granger (Guy) meets the completely bonkers Robert Walker (Bruno) on a train; Guy wants to marry a beautiful senator’s daughter, unfortunately the star tennis player is already married to a clinging girl from back home. The ingenious and insane Bruno casually suggests an exchange, one murder for another, Walker wants daddy dead and with the wife out of the way Granger who has political ambitions can marry his true love, Guy gets off the train. Unfortunately Bruno carries out his side of the imagined deal and soon poor old Guy is being hounded into carrying out the murder of Bruno’s father, whilst also feeling increasingly trapped by his own guilt for the murder of his late wife. There are some wonderful scenes in Strangers on a Train (an intense tennis match / the stalk through the fairground / those glasses) and the unhinged, slightly camp performance from Robert Walker is fun to watch (as is an increasingly put upon Granger) but for me there is something missing, there are at least a half dozen Hitchcock efforts that I much prefer but Strangers is still a highly entertaining film.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 2/1/2010 6:34:54 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 93
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 7:14:17 PM   
Piles

First two of the year. Good day...

The Diary of a Chambermaid (1964, Luis Bunuel)
"The Diary of a Chamber Maid” tells the story of Jeanne Moreau's Celestine, a chambermaid who gets a job under the command of the Monteils. Made up of Monsieur Rabour (Jean Ozenne), Monsieur Monteil (Michel Piccoli), and Madame Monteil (Francoise Lugagne), the Monteils are a relatively rich but undoubtedly bourgeois family who all have their odd little quirks. More than anything, "the Diary of a Chambermaid” is a savage attack on Bunuel's second favourite subject matter. After religion, the Spanish director seems to always have something in for the bourgeois, but whilst "The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie” was cynical and knowing without ever being biting, "The Diary of a Chambermaid” is indeed the sharp attack that you'd expect from such a ferocious director. Bunuel paints his characters – or at least the so called "upper class” ones – as dull, petty creatures, too busy arguing over whether a neighbour is allowed to throw branches over his fence to notice that a rapist is living in their mist. There are also some nice thoughts on everything from fascism to politics to – yes – religion, but Bunuel doesn't give himself enough time or room to develop them. Maybe it's the plot that gets in the way, who knows, but the case is probably that Bunuel is taking on too much in too little time. The primary themes are brilliant, but these subsidiary ones are very disappointing. It's not too damaging, though, and the film succeeds for many reasons. The plot is good enough, with shock at every turn, but it's the characters that really pull it through. Jeanne Moreau's Celestine is one of Bunuel's finest feminist creations, spurning the male affections when it pleases her, and never bowing to the conventions set by the bourgeois society around her. Michael Picolli is particularly great, and perfectly cast to boot, whilst Lugagne, Ozenne, along with Georges Geret and Daniel Ivernel provide more than capable support. 4/5.

Twelve Monkeys (1995, Terry Gilliam)
Contains spoilers that you'll probably already have heard. To wipe the horrible memory of "Surrogates” from my mind, I decided to sit down to a viewing of the good Bruce Willis sci-fi film today, "Twelve Monkeys”. The story is of Willis' James Cole, who is sent back from the future to 1996 to gather information regarding the plague that has wiped out humanity. Whilst there, though, he's arrested, thrown into a mental asylum, and, uh, shot in the leg in a World War I trench battle. I think most things that could be said about "Twelve Monkeys” have already been said. Yes, the performances are all very good, and yes, Bruce Willis is probably stuck in a time loop. That particular interpretation is pretty much universally accepted now, so going on about it would be redundant and futile. Besides, I think the most interesting conversation that you can have about "Twelve Monkeys” is when comparing it to Chris Marker's short film "La Jetee”, on which Gilliam's film is based. I'm unsure as to which film I prefer, because they are so different it's untrue, despite the fact that they are based around the same basic plot. Whilst "La Jetee” is about ideas and philosophy, "Twelve Monkeys” is about entertainment. That is by no means to say that "La Jetee” isn't entertaining and "Twelve Monkeys” isn't intelligent, because they both have their fair share of both attributes. However, Gilliam has indeed shifted the main focus of Marker's film, and has translated what is a philosophical exercise in cinema into a Hollywood blockbuster, but a very good one at that. Gilliam fleshes out Marker's (genius) framework into a full two hour narrative film. New characters, new plot points, and new action sequences are introduced, all of which contribute to what is one of the most entertaining films of the 1990s. And then there's Gilliam himself, who has created here his second best film. Indeed, it's similar to his best, "Brazil”, in its dystopian aesthetics, but rather than a savage attack on beurocracy "Twelve Monkeys” is an epic meditation on time, insanity, and man's insignificance. Yes, they may be second hand ideas, but Gilliam has successfully brought them to a wider audience. 4/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 2/1/2010 7:15:15 PM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 94
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 7:19:06 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I was actually looking at watching Twelve Monkeys too...Thief.

I've now added a new thingy to my soon-to-be-stolen-by-the-thief-who-is-Piles box idea - cinematic viewings will be in a red box, which should stand out nicely as the year progresses.

Scathing review of The Squeakquel coming soon...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 95
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 7:24:17 PM   
FritzlFan

The Terminator - 3/5
The Innocents - 5/5 (I missed the first 15 minutes, but I've seen it before so it's no loss.)

I'll start writing reviews for the next films I see.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 96
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 7:58:14 PM   
Piles

quote:

I was actually looking at watching Twelve Monkeys too...Thief.

I've now added a new thingy to my soon-to-be-stolen-by-the-thief-who-is-Piles box idea - cinematic viewings will be in a red box, which should stand out nicely as the year progresses.

Scathing review of The Squeakquel coming soon...

Haha. My graphic has debuted on the front page, though it is quite large, and I'll remove it if it's stretching anyone's browser?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 97
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:06:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Thomas, 2009) (Or, The Film In Which Even A Six Year Old Can Spot The Plot Holes)

Where to start... I only watched the first of these films a few months back, under pressure from my children who both love it. I thought it was...ok. It had Earl in it, of karmic comedy series "My Name Is Earl" fame, so that was a plus. And Simon was voiced by Matthew Gray Gubler, who I know better from the US crime drama series "Criminal Minds", so it was kinda fun recognising his voice all squeaked up. But that was pretty much it. So it was with much trepidation that I went into this one.

Often when expectations are low, it's usual that one gets something out of a film. Well, there was an unexpected Silence of the Lambs reference (even if it was referencing the line you're no doubt thinking of right now*) and it had the guy from US geek-out comedy action series "Chuck", but other than that... nothing. Less than nothing. I've had shits that were more entertaining than this film. It's not just a bad film, it's a downright offensive one. Let me explain why. There was always going to be something a little odd about hearing bad pop songs sung in a high-pitched voice, and that this phenomenon was popular. Even more so that girls apparently go wild for these tiny rodents on some weird bestiality kick. But to then see three scantily-clad female rodents gyrating "seductively", grinding hips and thrusting pelvises while making CGI come-hither expressions on their tiny anthropomorphised faces is, well, all kinds of wrong. The plot is forwarded by wild conveniences throughout, and the character arcs so signposted even a 4 year old could tell what was going to happen. Granted this last suggestion is hypothetical, but my alternative title is grounded in fact. My son, bless him, queried just how exactly three chipmunks managed to FedEx themselves to a record company HQ without nary so much as a hint of explanation. In the first film we follow the chipmunks on their convenience-based trip from forest to fame, but here the "chipettes" simply arrive in a FedEx package they mailed themselves. If a plothole is so glaring that even a 6 year old could pick up on it, then one wonders at the thought that goes into the filmmaking process.

Needless to say, my children laughed at the key points - hey, they're children and they laugh at funny pain. (See Monsters, Inc. for that fact in comedic-points-gaining action.) But this reviewer, who so often is quick to defend children's films that are aimed solely at children (and thereby have no value for us adults) found this film offensive on pretty much every level.

Nearly as bad, was the trailer for Dwayne "Don't Call Me The Rock Anymore" Johnson's forthcoming film Tooth Fairy which was followed by a voice beside me saying "can we go and see that when it comes out?" I think I'll put on some Chaplin for them tomorrow, just to try and level out the quality of their film-viewing...

One star.

*You were thinking of "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti", right?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 98
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:11:38 PM   
TRM

quote:

Nearly as bad, was the trailer for Dwayne "Don't Call Me The Rock Anymore" Johnson's forthcoming film Tooth Fairy

Awwww, really? I still dont get really who the poster is marketed at.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 99
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:15:30 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Well, there was an unexpected Silence of the Lambs reference (even if it was referencing the line you're no doubt thinking of right now*)
*You were thinking of "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti", right?

Awww, so not 'I can smell your cunt' then?

Post #: 100
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:25:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Goodness, I'd have figuratively peed myself if they'd used that. Maybe literally too...

Alvin (to Eleanor): "You're really beautiful."
Eleanor: "Aww, thanks Alvin."
Alvin: "I can smell your c..."
Dave, interrupting Alvin: "AAAAAAAALVIIIIIIIIIN! What have I told you about those Silence of the Lambs quotes?!"

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 101
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:27:51 PM   
rawlinson

The sad part is that it was honestly the first line I thought of. Chianti and Fava beans did follow after about two seconds.

Post #: 102
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:34:47 PM   
rawlinson

1. Carry On Screaming (1966; Gerald Thomas)

SPOILERS

The best of the Carry On franchise by far, this film saw the esteemed team of innuendo merchants taking on Hammer horror films. Jim Dale plays Albert Potter (the usual bumbling Dale type) whose girlfriend is abducted by Oddbod, a creature created by sinister mad scientist Dr. Watt (Kenneth Williams) and his sultry sister Valeria (Fenella Fielding) enlisting the help of bumbling policemen Bung (Harry H. Corbett in his only Carry on role) and Slobotham (Peter Butterworth), Potter sets out to rescue his beloved Doris. Carry On Screaming has possibly the finest cast for any of the Carry On films. No Sid James, no Barbara Windsor, yet we still get Butterworth, Dale, Hawtrey, Williams, Bresslaw and Sims, and we even have Harry H. Corbett and Fenella Fielding thrown in. It looks the best of any of the Carry On films as well, capturing the feel of gothic Hammer productions, while stealing the plot from House of Wax. While the Carry On films can often feel a little lazy, here the cast show a dedication to the material that they rarely displayed again. Not just a great Carry On film, a great comedy film by any standard. And you can forget about Cleo, 'Frying tonight!' is Williams' best Carry On moment.

9/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 103
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:34:55 PM   
homersimpson_esq

TRM - What the fuck, dude?! 2 1/2 stars for Superman?! And you accuse me of being soulless for not liking Wizard of Oz. Pah!

And don't give me that "but 2 1/2 stars still means I like it" crap!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 104
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:41:44 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

The Karate Kid (Avildsen, 1984)

It's been an age since I watched this last. Too long in fact. After a quick check on the imdb parental advice section I figured I was safe to show it to my children. After the first ten minutes, in which my son decided he didn't want to watch it, I paused it to explain, in child-friendly terms, how some films take a bit of time to show us what the characters are like. And also to tell him some kick-ass karate scenes were coming up. (Both my children do karate, so I figured they'd love this.) Sure enough, after some moaning and occasional playing with scalextric (that'll teach me for leaving it out...) as soon as Mr Miyagi kicked some bullies' arses, he was hooked. I'm writing this now as both my children are rolling about the flat, with one of my ties around each of their heads, demonstrating on balloons just exactly what they'd do to bullies if they ever tried anything...

We're off to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel  in a bit, so I figured I'd show them at least one good film today...

I freakin told you they'd love it. Wax on-Wax off.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 105
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 8:46:50 PM   
TRM

Well like with South park (on the same rating) the build up and first 20 minutes are great, but it doesnt live up to that for the rest of the film. Surprisingly, I was really disappointed with Hackman throughout. He just made Lex a really bland villain. I guess it didnt help that all of the people around him were played completely for laughs, which didnt work anyway. 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 106
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 9:03:03 PM   
paul_ie86

1. Persepolis (Paronaud & Satrapi, 2007)

A great film about the life of an Iranian woman, albeit a bit episodic

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 107
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 10:45:10 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

The Terminator - 3/5
The Innocents - 5/5 (I missed the first 15 minutes, but I've seen it before so it's no loss.)

I'll start writing reviews for the next films I see.

First time I saw The Innocents last night, terrifically spooky film which I need to rewatch. 9/10

Se7en - 10/10

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 108
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 10:52:34 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Well, there was an unexpected Silence of the Lambs reference (even if it was referencing the line you're no doubt thinking of right now*)

I was actually thinking "She rubs the lotion in the skin, or else she gets the hose again." Not ass downright inappropriate as rawls', though.

I'm kicking Avatar down to a 2/5 - I'm gonna get harsher on my scores this year, so this seems like the thing to do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 109
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/1/2010 11:11:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was actually thinking "She rubs the lotion in the skin, or else she gets the hose again." Not ass downright inappropriate as rawls', though.

If it had been that line, it may have been inappropriate, but it would have been a moment for the ages.

quote:

I'm kicking Avatar down to a 2/5

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 110
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 12:08:04 AM   
Deviation

quote:

I'm kicking Avatar down to a 2/5 - I'm gonna get harsher on my scores this year, so this seems like the thing to do.

Do it 1.5/5. Or better, 1.5/10.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 111
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 1:07:44 AM   
Ultimo Lee

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory US (Mel Stuart, 1971) 5 *rewatch*
I enjoyed the Tim Burton version but you can't beat the original. Gene Wilder rules all.

Festen/The Celebration Denmark (Thomas Vinterberg, 1998)  5 *rewatch*
First watched it about a decade ago and it was the first film to open my eyes to  world cinema. It's still a stunning piece of work with all round excellent performances and still just as powerfull as it was 10 years ago.

Good start to the year.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 3/1/2010 1:09:27 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 112
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 2:49:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

I enjoyed the Tim Burton version but you can't beat the original. Gene Wilder rules all.

Tim Burton's doesn't have Cheer Up Charlie so that automatically makes the new one better.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 113
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 2:58:43 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Tim Burton's doesn't have Cheer Up Charlie so that automatically makes the new one better.

The Gene Wilder film doesn't have that Mike Teavee song. That makes the Wilder better.  When's someone (not Burton, please God) going to film Charlie & the Great Glass Elevator?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 114
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 3:18:13 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

The Gene Wilder film doesn't have that Mike Teavee song. That makes the Wilder better.  When's someone (not Burton, please God) going to film Charlie & the Great Glass Elevator?

They're both below-average films.

There, that settled it, didn't it?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 115
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 3:29:00 AM   
rawlinson

No, because you're wrong.

Post #: 116
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 3:39:52 AM   
Pigeon Army

You all know I'm right. Those rose-tinted glasses can only hide so much.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 117
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 3:51:48 AM   
rawlinson

I think the film has a bit of an uneven tone when they're not in the factory, but once they get inside (and more importantly once Wilder enters the picture) it gets a real boost. It's as subversive and brilliant as Dahl himself. The Burton is a disappointment for me because I think the director's own attempts to be quirky overwhelm everything else. But neither of them are as bad as the film of The BFG.

Post #: 118
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 4:22:24 AM   
Deviation

Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004)- USA - 8/10

First of all. DEAR GOD, this is complicated, it makes The Big Sleep look like Pingu.

Second, it's also very fascinating, doing a great job never sounding pompous, messy or overblown. The film is interesting, the acting by most of the cast is adequate, the script, with its techno babble and musings are thankfully never dumbed down (looking at you Surrogates and Avatar) and even if its plot is hard to comprehend (in fact I think I got quite little from the film), it never completely alienated me from the film. The micro-budget filming fits the low key tone of the film perfectly, and Carruth does also great things with it. Carruth knows his budget, and relies its limitations, and does wonders with it. The direction is quite good, the editing and narration experimental and mostly works well, and the OST is mostly good. The script is intelligent, focusing on how these two poeple accidentally make this accidental scientific breathrough (time travel) and how they are easily blinded and manipulated by it. While its themes are not hard the grasp, the plot is, but at least, there is some clarity on what Carruth wanted to show, in my opinion at least. Carruth did most of the job here, editing, scoring, scripting and directing. Sadly, it would have been better if he had avoided acting. Also avoided could have been scenes at nighttime where the grain is really overwhelming (a particular fountain bit) and cheapens the shot a lot. Its not perfect, but alongside Jones last year, it is one of the most interesting debut, and here's hoping we get to see more things from this person, that doesn't involve acting.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 119
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/1/2010 4:33:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I think the film has a bit of an uneven tone when they're not in the factory, but once they get inside (and more importantly once Wilder enters the picture) it gets a real boost. It's as subversive and brilliant as Dahl himself. The Burton is a disappointment for me because I think the director's own attempts to be quirky overwhelm everything else. But neither of them are as bad as the film of The BFG.

Yep, The BFG is awful. I do much prefer Burton's film over the original. Willy Wonka was a film I hated as a kid and I've never really grown fond of it.

Primer. Woohoo!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI