Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 12:47:41 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

After your In Bruges review, I'm going to take everything you say with a truckload of salt. But then again, I should've expected this - Jayb has spoken out against In Bruges in the past despite having not seen it, and we all know his opinion of 'tradition of quality' films, which he'd probably see Creation as. This is just a continuation of your courting process.

Are you upset you're being replaced?

Piles knows he has my full blessing. Anything that stops Jayb stalking me is good in my books.

Except everyone knows you reciprocate his love.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1111
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 12:52:33 AM   
rawlinson

He laughs to hide the tears.

I have like 10 reviews to write for this thread.

See, PA, I'm in touch with my emotions and this is just over film reviews. You can cry that Jayb is grooming Piles. We all understand.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1112
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 12:55:52 AM   
paul_ie86

Great av Rawls 

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1113
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 12:58:54 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Great av Rawls 

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Hear that, PA? I can openly admit I'm with Coco. Why can't you admit your heart won't go on without your Jack Dawson?

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1114
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 1:03:38 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Some more Keaton shorts:

7. Daydreams (1922, Keaton/Cline) {21 mins}
A typically great 'Keaton as outsider' short. The ending is sheer bliss. 8

9. The Electric House (1922, Keaton/Cline) {23 mins}
What it lacks in laughs, it makes up in inventiveness - all these gadgets seem almost sci-fi for 1922. Also, I know this is a frequent theme, but I only just noticed how suicidal Buster's shorts were. 7

11. The Blacksmith (1922, Keaton/St Clair) {19 mins}
Some great gags there, though ultimately not as memorable as the other two. Also a 7

Also decided to change my rating for My Wife's Relations from 5 to 4, it better reflects my opinion.
That's his 1922 output completed then I'll watch The General soon and then re-watch and watch all of his other shorts (this is his most prolific year, thankfully).

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1115
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 1:08:19 AM   
paul_ie86

Yeah, PA you're so repressed. You may as well be Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1116
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 1:10:42 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

Great av Rawls 

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Hear that, PA? I can openly admit I'm with Coco. Why can't you admit your heart won't go on without your Jack Dawson?

It's not my fault Jayb lies to you all and says there's something between us. He can perpetuate those rumours all he wants, they won't become true.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1117
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 1:14:03 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Yeah, PA you're so repressed. You may as well be Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day.

quote:

It's not my fault Jayb lies to you all and says there's something between us. He can perpetuate those rumours all he wants, they won't become true.

I'm seeing you as Rose, Jayb as Jack, and Piles as the iceberg that takes him away from you. I just wish there was a mod who'd be willing to do some av and title changes. I wonder how early Elab will be awake...

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1118
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 1:26:11 AM   
Deviation

Paranormal Activity (Oren Peli, 2007)- USA - 6.5/10

Last year I believe we had an unholy trinity of "woman in couple being haunted by paranormal entities" trilogy. The best one was AntiChrist, a melancholic, haunting, disturbing and yet beautiful film. The other one was Drag Me to Hell, a balls-out, enjoyable, beautifully scored, hilarious, ingenious and insane return of Raimiesque (I made up a new WORD!) horror. With possessed goats. Then we have this, which erm.......was the cheapest and made a lot of money? And has the most memorable rack?

Paranormal Activity is by no means a bad film, the acting is believable, Peli's crude direction and editing fit the film well and it does share some moments of genius (which involve dragging, broken portraits and fire). Problem is, it really isn't that original, in fact it can be quite cliched (does every horror film has to have a static Tv switched on?) Haven't Silent Hill games killed and buried this already?). It makes extensive use of LOUD noises and closing doors to scare. The focus on the breaking down relationship and the arrogant and idiotic Micah almost abusing his girlfriend's problem for his own examinations (a bit like Psychologist in AntiChrist) can be interesting, but sadly, at times it also feels monotonous, never really feeling going anywhere in some moments. Also the charcters at times feel hardly engaging, just annoying or incredibly arrogantly stupid in their judgements (GET THE DEMONOLOGIST YOU ARROGANT DICKWAD!). That said, when it gets its "less is better" philosophy well, it works beautifully. Sadly there are some monotonous bits to pass true.

And that ending (Theatrical) really feels out of place with the film. Spielberg, aren't you tired of the wrongness you did last decade? First showing aliens in Indy 4 (which I enjoyed, but that ,move felt ill-judged), then playing around with Oldboy remakes starring Will Smith of all people, then this ending, and to conclude the EPIC OF ALL WRONGNESS, CALLING AVATAR A MASTERPIECE.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 1119
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 2:06:07 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I'm seeing you as Rose, Jayb as Jack, and Piles as the iceberg that takes him away from you.

*cough*

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1120
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 2:07:34 AM   
Deviation

That is still disturbing......

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 1121
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 2:09:24 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Paranormal Activity (Oren Peli, 2007)- USA - 6.5/10

Then we have this, which erm.......was the cheapest and made a lot of money? And has the most memorable rack?

Trufakt, that.

quote:

Also the charcters at times feel hardly engaging, just annoying or incredibly arrogantly stupid in their judgements (GET THE DEMONOLOGIST YOU ARROGANT DICKWAD!).

Of course Micah's arrogant, he's a dick who's never experienced the demon before and is overwhelmed with the idea of getting famous of it. Plus, it's an allegory for domestic abuse, innit.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1122
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 2:11:59 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Who's Jack in that picture?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1123
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 2:26:38 AM   
Deviation

I'm not denying he isn't. I just lost interest whenever the film showed what an arrogant bastard he was. And again. And again. And again.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 1124
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:05:34 AM   
Gram123

009) Antichrist  (Lars von Trier, Denmark / Germany / France / etc, 2009, DVD) - 6.0
SPOILERS

I appreciated that it really was something different, the camera effects were interesting, and the shoes / witness revelation was quite powerful, but the ever-so-long first act with Ms Gainsbourg in her state of grief started to just grate on my nerves, and I was just wishing she'd hurry up and go properly mental. Instead of building up feelings of sympathy for her, it made me feel less for her, diminshing the impact of the second half. A very self-indulgent von Trier film (is there another kind?) with rather an excessive amount of grief sex. And Defoe's character managed to move quite a lot considering he had squashed knackers...

I've read some interpretations of the symbolism in the film, but I have a question I havent seen an answer for - What was the deal with Defoe's character seeing the 3 beggars individually earlier in the film? She didn't see them, though she was the one meant to be going insane. You could assume the deer is meant to be a real deer, and at a push that the crow is real despite him repeatedly smacking it with a stone. But surely the fox eating itself and speaking can't be real. In which case, it's likely none of them were real, they were just visions signifying the film's chapters / stages of her mourning / invented constellations / inevitible death.
So do we assume that Defoe's character is hallucinating or otherwise supernaturally affected by Eden? If so, why?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1125
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:13:51 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

JayB I believe.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1126
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:14:01 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

Piles. Jayb is Rose.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1127
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:18:26 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Piles. Jayb is Rose.

Wow. Piles is about 12. And he still knows more about cinema than Miles.  Except for the In Bruges review. That was all kinds of wrong.

Post #: 1128
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:22:01 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Piles. Jayb is Rose.

DOH! True, my fail.....

quote:

quote:

Post #: 1129
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:25:39 AM   
rawlinson

Your sig quote was Jayb, btw. 

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1130
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:28:49 AM   
Deviation

Ok, somewhat fixed.

Anyway, isn't Italian for Beginners just wonderful?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1131
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 3:59:16 AM   
rawlinson

25. Dog Soldiers (2002; Neil Marshall)

I tried. I honestly tried. I thought my hatred of this braindead film might have eased a little with time, but it just hasn't. It should have been good, soldiers facing off against werewolves in a cottage in the country, a self-admitted homage to Zulu as they're forced into a defiant last stand. But it ended up that I'd always thought of Dog Soldiers as a horror film for people who don't like horror films, just as Ricky Gervais is a comedian for people who don't like to laugh. Maybe my hatred for the film would be a little less extreme if it wasn't for the bewildering amount of love it inspires. There was always the hope that I'd view it more like Lost Boys now. A film I used to despise for being so thoroughly MTV, but now I don't really care about. But rewatching it, I can't seem to find a sense of humour about it, it's just simply an offensively bad film. One of the problems with films that try to position themselves as horror comedies is that quite often they don't get the balance right. And this film is no exception, mixing thrilling sequences with black humour isn't as easy as Marshall seems to think it is. Especially when you have no real flair for either. The cast isn't great, Casting Sean Pertwee has never been a good idea. Possessing one of the most punchable faces in cinema and none of the vocal flair of his father, Pertwee can damage even the best script, but when the script includes lines as memorable as 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough', 'You baldy twat', 'It's that time of the month', 'they will be eating your bollocks for breakfast, sunshine', 'You think it's all over, it is now'..., you know you're not dealing with a literary genius. It's dialogue that Guy Ritchie would reject as simple-minded. I'm also sick to death of English films and t.v. shows that think an easy and instant way to show male bonding is to make references to a football competition they won once 4fucking4 years ago. Get over it. Stop hanging on to it like a sporting comfort blanket. And of course the only character who doesn't really care about football is evil. It's probably unfair of me to paint Marshall with the '2 World Wars and 1 world cup' wanker-brush, but when you combine the insane level of football/1966 obsession with the fact the big football match they're upset about missing is England/Germany, the temptation is there. A film like this can only work if the characters are strong, but when it's a bunch of thick, football mad squaddies who can only talk in macho cliches, I find it really difficult to relate to them. Not one good performance, no interesting dialogue, no real tension in the werewolf attacks. The only thing the film has going for it is the fact that the werewolves actually look quite good.

1.5/10

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1132
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 4:55:34 AM   
rawlinson

26. Sherlock Holmes (2009; Guy Ritchie)

I hate Guy Ritchie. I really do. Turning the public perception of Vinnie Jones from simple-minded thug to cult icon, for, um, playing a simple-minded thug, deserves anyone's hatred. The fact that his films are idiotic and charmless nonsense that glorifies their mockney-gangsters just makes him even more loathsome. I should hate his Sherlock Holmes too. It's far too action driven and it makes too much of the physical side of Holmes, to the extent that he's more brawn less brain. The direction is over-the-top. McAdams is miscast and not convincing in he slightest as Irene Adler. The storyline is just silly, ignoring the logic of the original stories for some nonsense about a supervillain occultist. As praised as Downey Jr and Law have been, the film never really felt like it gave them much time to interact, which is a shame because the most inspired moments are in their friendship. The trouble is that the pace is so breakneck that you don't really get a convincing picture of their relationship, although both are fine in their roles. Bottom line, as a Holmes film it's a disgrace and one of the more wretched adaptations. But if you divorce the film from Holmes, and just pretend it's not meant to be the great sleuth, it's actually quite entertaining in a silly way. I'd certainly rather sit through this again than Avatar and in an odd way, it's the best work Ritchie has done. Taken on its own terms, it's a stupid, but entertaining blockbuster that works largely through Downey Jr's charm.

5/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1133
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 6:26:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5. Dhoom 2 (1st view, 2006, Sanjay Gadhvi) - 4/5*
I may have just discovered the greatest film genre of all. The Bollywood action musical. Slow-motion as a substitute for plot, logic and physics, dance numbers coming out your ears; people who jet-ski 20 feet into the air from underwater but end up being completely dry; a criminal, nicknamed Mr. A, whose exploits, when plotted on a world map, can be linked to form a cross-continental, gigantic letter A, so long as you conveniantly ignore information presented just second before; a lead actor who looks a bit like the dude from Moonlight and and a female lead who looks a bit like the woman who was the second one to be killed in True Blood. In short, it's awesome in a way that most things aren't. If only the bloke who sang Yesterday had seen this, his troubles would have stayed away.

22. The Cassandra Crossing (1st view, 1976, George Pan Cosmatos) - 3/5*
Richard Harris! Martin Sheen! Sophia Loren! Ava Gardner! O. J. Simpson! Lee Strasberg! Lots of other people! All stuck on a train infected with a deadly disease and hurtling towards a rickety bridge! Burt Lancaster as a military man happy to send them all to their doom! It's like Disaster On The Coastliner Meets The Satan Bug! It should have been a classic.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 20/1/2010 6:29:13 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1134
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 7:24:17 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

a lead actor who looks a bit like the dude from Moonlight and and a female lead who looks a bit like the woman who was the second one to be killed in True Blood. In short, it's awesome in a way that most things aren't.

I do not think you understand the concept of awesome.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1135
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 7:37:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Have you seen it? It's so incredibly idiotic and makes Michael Bay films look as sedate and intelligent as 2001. I couldn't help but love it

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1136
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 8:36:21 AM   
rawlinson

I haven't seen it, but I kinda want to.

Post #: 1137
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 8:37:02 AM   
rawlinson

27. The Weekend Murders (1970; Michele Lupo)

A giallo entry that goes out of its way to spoof Dame Aggie. It's a convoluted little tale but a delicious amoung of fun. When a rich aristocrat kicks off, his family gather for a reading of the will. The family are mostly greedy wretches out for what they can get, but Sir Henry (for that is his name) has left his entire estate to one person, Barbara. But there's a killer in the bunch who wants to get to her at any cost. So take that Christie-esque plot and slap it into an Italian made but British set comedy giallo and you get one of the most bizarre but fun minor films of the 70s. With a scene-stealing performance from Gastone Moschin as a bumbling village copper, Lance Percival as the Inspector in charge of the case and Ballard Berkely as the butler, it's an eccentric cast to match the eccentric material. It's dated and the whole thing feels as wobbly as the walls on Prisoner Cell Block H, but it's silly and enjoyable.

7.5/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1138
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 9:46:40 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

5. Dhoom 2 (1st view, 2006, Sanjay Gadhvi) - 4/5*
I may have just discovered the greatest film genre of all. The Bollywood action musical. Slow-motion as a substitute for plot, logic and physics, dance numbers coming out your ears; people who jet-ski 20 feet into the air from underwater but end up being completely dry; a criminal, nicknamed Mr. A, whose exploits, when plotted on a world map, can be linked to form a cross-continental, gigantic letter A, so long as you conveniantly ignore information presented just second before; a lead actor who looks a bit like the dude from Moonlight and and a female lead who looks a bit like the woman who was the second one to be killed in True Blood. In short, it's awesome in a way that most things aren't. If only the bloke who sang Yesterday had seen this, his troubles would have stayed away.

See, my review could have all of those words as well as I pretty much agree with them - if you add atrocious acting and amateurish direction, poor camerawork and dodgy effects. But I'd be scoring it around 0-1. There seem to be so many films I'd assume are the worst I'd be watching this year this month - and a couple are in C4's Indian season,. Surely this can't be a fair representative of current cinema over there? They're on the level of the dodgy z list stuff on Zone Horror.

I am choosing to see Rawlinson's Dog Soldiers review as less of an assessment of a film and more as an exposition of bias. But then, I view most Streep films through it so I can completely understand and bear no malice for it. 'course, that one is obviously right. At least I watch the damn films to see if she ever learns to act without textbooking it on screen.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 1139
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 20/1/2010 9:50:14 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I am choosing to see Rawlinson's Dog Soldiers review as less of an assessment of a film and more as an exposition of bias.

I deride your truth-handling abilities.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI