Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 1:42:44 AM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
058) Appaloosa  (Ed Harris, USA, 2008, Broadcast) - 6.0

Care to elaborate?

Not really!
Ok, well, I quite like Harris and Mortensen enough as actors, and they were fine in this. However, Zellywegs wasn't great, though part of that can be blamed on a poorly written character. The time-frame felt unnatural, especially Ally's very quick ascension from meeting Cole to apparently moving in with him, to getting sick of him not being around. It felt like that all happened in the space of 2 days, and with Bragg being in the jail cell for most of that, I saw no reason to think it took any longer.
Plus it was a bit overlong, with a few points where it felt like it could/should have ended, but then went on a bit more. And there was some predictable stuff (what happens when you hand over of the prisoner to an unknown quantity; the result of the gunfight for Cole and Hitch) that detracted from it a bit.
It was alright - I've seen a lot worse this year...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 10501
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 9:48:41 AM   
MOTH

Bande A Part (Jean Luc Godard, 1964)
There's an interesting pulp fiction plot in here, but it's deliberately swamped by a lot of faffing about, much of which is tiresome, rather than cool or chic. The music is good though, and the dance sequence justifiably celebrated. (6/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 10502
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 12:41:34 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I Love You, Phillip Morris (Glen Ficcara and John Requa)

A sweet, quirky and occasionally very funny true to life tale of a gay conman, Steve (Jim Carrey) and his love affair with Phillip (Ewan McGregor) a fellow prisoner he meets on the inside. Carrey is probably the best he's ever been for whatever that may be worth to you, and refreshingly, there's not a single joke made out of their sexuality (save for the reveal that Steve is gay). This gives it a nice honesty that goes someway to counteracting McGregor's blandly written character and the fact that it feels insubstantial, despite it's factual nature. (7/10)

This has been the surprise hit of my year's viewing so far - much better and more entertaining than I expected. I did find McGregor's character rather irritating though.

I thought McGregor was the best thing in the movie, a quiet, sweet performance. Everytime he was onscreen he looked like he was in love.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 10503
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 8:26:05 PM   
matty_b

It's not so much McGregor's performance I have a problem with, that was fine, it was the character as written.

Barton Fink (Joel Coen)

The Coens don't really "do" genres (maybe Miller's Crossing is the most straightforward genre film they've done by their standards) but Barton Fink is the closest thing they've ever done to a horror. Barton (John Turturro) is a playwright in the 1940s who, after some critical success, gets the call to Hollywood. There, he is holed up in a dank and fetid hotel where the wallpaper is peeling off the walls dripping with gloop and there only seems to be one other guest - Charlie (John Goodman). What happens afterwards is a nightmarish tale of writer's block and murder, with the Coens twisting the film into The Shining via David Lynch. It is probably the most perversely strange film of theirs that I've seen, but is masterful in constructing an unsettling atmosphere. The bellhop, Chet (Steve Buscemi), answers Barton's arrival by emerging out of a trapdoor and Barton is kept awake all night by strange noises from Charlie's room and the constantly buzzing mosquitoes - even though, as another character points out, there should be no mosquitoes in this climate. It keeps you constantly off-kilter and tense as whole scenes play out with the paranoid fear of something bad going to happen - and rather brilliantly, the Coens manage to make a lot of this funny, too. Turturro is superb as always, there's great support from the Oscar-nominated Michael Lerner as the fiery studio head who hires Barton in the first place (hilariously, every line of dialogue he has seems to contradict the previous one) and Tony Shalhoub as another director, spitting words out like bullets. But it's Goodman's performance that is the most interesting. I don't know why it is, but he raises his game so high with the Coens, you could be forgiven he's one of Hollywood's great actors. However it is that they "get" him as an actor, they see something in him that no-one else rarely does and he turns in a great hulking performance of clammy friendship mixed up with gently bubbling menace. It's not one that will win everyone over, but it's an unforgettable film nonetheless. (9/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 10504
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 9:01:25 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

44. Baisers volťs [Stolen Kisses] (1968, Truffaut)
The Doinel saga continues with this wonderful film. There is less experimentation with form than in say Shoot the Pianist, but it's chock-full of fantastic things: the Laurel and Hardy masks, Lonsdale's clueless asshole, Seyrig's ageing beauty, the chanson from which the title is taken, and of course the love story. At the centre of it all is Leaud's fantastic performance, who really brings the bumbling alienated romantic to life. The film's funny, cute, and a perfect time-snap even though it doesn't capture much of the riots and stays quite old-fashioned. More please.

46. Sunset Blvd. (1950, Wilder)
REVIEW HERE

56. Dawn of the Dead (1978, Romero)
REVIEW HERE

74. Perfect Blue (1998, Kon)
REVIEW HERE

91. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, Allen)
I still think Woody's movies lose something when he's not in them, but this is great. Super-meta, with great acting (Herrmann and Daniels in particular), cool period representation (though as always not too remarkable visually), and a superb bitter-sweet ending.

98. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982, Heckerling)
Fulfilled my expectations exactly. Itís no Clueless or anything (and even though I placed it ahead of Dazed and Confused, that brand of high school movie is also ultimately more worthwhile), but itís funny, alternately warm and biting (or, if you prefer, uplifting and honest), has a nifty soundtrack and some great performances (the stand-outs being Penn as a stoner surfer, Walston as a funny uptight history teacher, and Leigh, who gets as much out of her character as possible). Itís dated, but that only helps it to be a snapshot of early 80s teen life. Itís hit-and-miss, but itís a very good film overall.

101. Katzelmacher (1969, Fassbinder)
Very interesting stuff from Fassbinder. Itís similar in style to his debut feature, but even more minimalist. The set of characters hang out together in about 5 locations in total, exchanging elliptical dialogue in utterly static shots (except for the walking scenes which are very plain cinematically as well). None of them are likeable to begin with, but they truly become vile when a foreign worker (played by Fassbinder himself) enters the picture. The film is slow, meticulous; there is nobody to identify with. Why did I like it so much? Because itís distinctive, because of all the stuff I mentioned above. The actors all sell their roles completely especially since all but Hermann, Fassbinder, and Schygulla are unknowns to me. The editing (while probably not too difficult considering) is superb. Still not as good as his debut as the latter is more cinematic and existential and awesome, but I probably prefer it to Ali despite the latterís cinematic superiority.

106. Repulsion (1965, Polański)
REVIEW HERE

115. The Thin Blue Line (1988, Morris)
Breaks one of the major cinematic rules by being 80% talking heads (though the recreations of the scene add a cinematic edge to it), but rules are there to be broken, and as far as talking heads documentaries go, this is one of, if not the best I've seen. Examining not just police injustice, but also the nature of memory and truth in general, this has stuff going for it besides its major achievement (getting Adams out of prison). Strikingly well edited, and appears to be even less manipulative in a way than a Frederick Wiseman film, because there's no buffer between the participants (including, staggeringly, the real killer) and the audience. The cut-aways (for instance, to the Boston Blackie film when the woman is speaking) are drily humorous and well observed. Glass is also superb, composing a score which exists alongside the film without trying to take over it. There are things wrong with this, for instance the irritating courtroom drawings and perhaps it's a little dragged out, but it's certainly very impressive.

129. Lektionen in Finsternis [Lessons of Darkness] (1992, Herzog)
Not that much to say here. First of all, isnít it amazing how Herzog made Aguirre and this, both films loosely based on the subject of war and both unlike anything else, including each other? Secondly, even if this wasnít any good (it is), it would all be worth it for that ďlife without fireĒ bit at the end. Thirdly, shows how much can be achieved with how little, though of course only someone crazy enough would do this. Also, amazing soundtrack. And the silentness of it all is striking, particularly as two of the interviewees donít speak because of the horrors they witnessed. All in all, 3rd of out 3 Herzogs Iíve seen so far, but this is not a slight on it at all, the apocalyptic imagery will stay with me for a while.

138. Hable con ella [Talk to Her] (2002, Almodůvar)
To be honest, I'm not sure. No complaints whatsoever about the style or the acting (which was helped by the fact that Chaplin was the only thespian I had seen in anything previously), just not sure that I'm satisfied with the story, and I didn't connect with it for very long (I am not even a fan of The Smiths but 'Girlfriend in a Coma' does more for me than most of this). They say this is 'mature' Almodovar, maybe it could do with a little less of that (that silent movie thing is hilarious but sticks out way too much). Definitely intriguing though.

151. To Catch a Thief (1955, Hitchcock)
Ah, Hitch, one of my gateways into the world of cinema. Not nearly as captivating now (though of course I got past his most impressive films), but always satisfying. This has Grant as suave as ever, Kelly beautiful as usual, and a messy plot. Basically, Edith Head is the star, and the sexual innuendo overshadows the crime plot, but ultimately, this is as fun as I expected a breezy film set in the French Riviera to be.

160. 4 mosche di velluto grigio [4 Flies on Grey Velvet] (1971, Argento)
REVIEW HERE

233. Una lucertola con la pelle di donna [Lizard in a Womanís Skin] (1971, Fulci)
REVIEW HERE

Shorts:

46. High and Dizzy (1920, Roach) {26 mins}
My first encounter with Lloyd is a success, and I canít wait to explore more. This has a loose plot but everything thatís needed is there. Itís charming and romantic because of the primitiveness of its love story, and funny, though some gags work better than others. The humour is entailed in both the intertitles and whatís happening. Lloyd may not have the same iconic status as Keaton and Chaplin, and he didnít direct his own films, but whoever made this has my thanks, and fortunately, thereís loads more to come. Heís probably subverting his image here by playing a drunk character but I have to see more before I can comment on that.

78. Get Out and Get Under (1920, Roach) {25 mins}
Not as good. Strung together again, but appears lazy rather than versatile unlike High and Dizzy. Some fun gags though, sure.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10505
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 11:09:22 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Features:

115. The Thin Blue Line (1988, Morris)
Breaks one of the major cinematic rules by being 80% talking heads (though the recreations of the scene add a cinematic edge to it),

When did this become a 'major cinematic rule'?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 10506
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 11:10:43 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

"Show, don't tell" is what I'm referring to here, and talking heads are pretty much the antithesis of that. They can work though, as shown by the film.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 10507
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 4/11/2010 11:45:02 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

"Show, don't tell" is what I'm referring to here, and talking heads are pretty much the antithesis of that. They can work though, as shown by the film.

It's a documentary about a crime and the evidence surrounding it, and a substantial amount of it hinges on witness testimony. Even taking into account that it is a documentary and so talking heads are likely to be common, and even taking into account that those talking heads are obviously going to be more prevalent here because the majority of the film relies on their perceptions, their knowledge and their credibility, Morris breaks up the interviews with the dramatisations and the other cut-aways quite well.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, in a documentary, particularly one that relies on the testimony of those it interviews, 'show don't tell' is more of a suggestion than a rule.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 10508
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:00:01 AM   
rawlinson

Show don't tell is a myth. If the material requires things to be shown then they should be shown, if it requires them to be told then they should be told. 

Post #: 10509
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:03:10 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

I wasn't judging it as a documentary, I was judging it as a film. Just how you judge horror films as films So yeah, considering what it is, talking heads were inevitable, but because of what it is, it overcomes the fact that it's breaking the (according to rawls, non-existent) rule.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10510
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:05:25 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Show don't tell is a myth. If the material requires things to be shown then they should be shown, if it requires them to be told then they should be told.†

It's much more likely that things which should be shown will be told than the other way round though, since cinema is a visual medium and should in theory be able to show pretty much anything (OK, so docs are an exception, but again not total, see Wiseman or Marker's docu-essays).

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10511
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:06:37 AM   
rawlinson

It isn't a rule.

Post #: 10512
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:08:38 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

It's much more likely that things which should be shown will be told than the other way round though, since cinema is a visual medium and should in theory be able to show pretty much anything (OK, so docs are an exception, but again not total, see Wiseman or Marker's docu-essays).

All it takes is the talent to know what's appropriate.

Post #: 10513
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:14:22 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

It's a principle, and a rule is a principle.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10514
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:14:51 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

quote:

No argument there, but in most cases showing is better than telling.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10515
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:18:45 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

No argument there, but in most cases showing is better than telling.

Like in Millennium Actress, where those two fucking characters wouldn't stop fucking commenting about what is going on, even if it is bloody fucking obvious.

I still love you Satoshi Kon, and I do love that similarly plotted ans structured episode you did in Paranoia Agent.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/11/2010 12:25:24 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 10516
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:18:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I wasn't judging it as a documentary, I was judging it as a film. Just how you judge horror films as films

I don't understand why you're being facetious, horror films and documentaries are completely different beasts and require completely different skill sets to make successfully.

And I judge horror films as horror films, I just like horror films with strong characters and without people doing batshit-stupid things for the sole purpose of propelling the narrative along.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 10517
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:21:00 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

What are we even arguing about?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 10518
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:23:30 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

How wrong you are on a scale of 1 to 10.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 10519
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:24:09 AM   
rawlinson

But it isn't. And it never has been. It's a phrase that gets thrown about and very often misunderstood. Narrative art has always been a mixture of the two. If it was a rule to show and not tell then no films would have dialogue and all literature would be full of long drawn out scenes where everything is acted out. It takes the talent to know what needs showing to bring the best out of the material and what needs telling. The two approaches co-exist in the majority of work.

Post #: 10520
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:24:11 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

How wrong you are on a scale of 1 to 10.

5 this time.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 10521
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:25:17 AM   
rawlinson

No, he's closer to 1 again. 

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10522
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:26:14 AM   
Deviation

Is 1 maximum wrong or minimum wrong?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10523
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:27:03 AM   
rawlinson

If he thinks showing is always better than telling then 1 is maximum wrong. 

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10524
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:28:15 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

I didn't say always, you libellous twat.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10525
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 12:30:56 AM   
rawlinson

Ok fine, you said in most cases. Still a 1. 

Post #: 10526
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 10:13:51 AM   
swordsandsandals

I saw Blackmail and Under the Roofs of Paris this week which shows how far I'm getting behind on my Euro thread.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10527
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/11/2010 2:52:30 PM   
drews

Miles behind. So here are my movies viewed for August, September and October All movies first time views unless stated):

August:

-Date Night - 3/5
-How to Train Your Dragon - 5/5
-Possession - 2/5
-Universal Soldier: Regeneration - 3/5
-Tenderness - 3/5
-Wolfman, The (Joe Johnston, 2010)  - 2/5
-Clash of the Titans (Louis Leterrier, 2010) - 2/5
-Losers, The - 2/5
-When in Rome - 2/5
-Ghost Writer, The (The Ghost) - 4/5
-‘dishon (Audition) - 3/5
-Surrogates - 3/5
-Swordfish - 3/5
-Thelma & Louise - 4/5
-C.H.U.D. II - Bud the Chud - 2/5
-Children, The - 2/5
-P2 - 2/5
-Punisher: War Zone - 2/5
-Planet Terror (Grindhouse: Planet Terror) - 4/5
-House of the Devil, The - 3/5
-Last House on the Left, The (Dennis Iliadis, 2009) - 2/5
-I'm Reed Fish - 3/5
Amityville II: The Possession - 1/5
-Predator 2 - 2/5
-Friday the 13th Part 2 - 1/5
AVP: Alien vs. Predator - 2/5
-Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter - 2/5
Amadeus - 4/5
-Desu nŰto (Death Note) - 4/5
Aliens in the Attic - 2/5
-Perfect Getaway, A - 3/5
-Race to Witch Mountain - 3/5
-Devil's Rejects, The - 2/5
-I Could Never Be Your Woman - 3/5
-Looking for Eric - 4/5
-I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle - 2/5
-Sworn to Justice - 1/5
-Desu nŰto: The last name (Death Note: The Last Name) - 4/5
-Curfew - 1/5
-Lie with Me - 2/5
-Blood: The Last Vampire - 3/5
15 Minutes - 2/5
Assault on Precinct 13 (Jean-FranÁois Richet, 2005) - 4/5
-Crank: High Voltage - 3/5
-Outpost, The (Mind Ripper) - 1/5
-X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 3/5
-Tooth Fairy - 3/5
-Jumper - 2/5
-Shaft (Gordon Parks, 1971) - 3/5
-Proof of Life - 3/5
-Whip It - 3/5
-Bande ŗ part (Band of Outsiders) - 4/5
-Vanilla Sky - 3/5
-Showdown in Little Tokyo - 2/5
30 Days of Night - 3/5

September:

-Rachel Getting Married - 3/5
-Fountain, The - 3/5
-Spy Game - 3/5
10th & Wolf - 2/5
-Hills Have Eyes, The (Alexandre Aja, 2006) - 2/5
-Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) - 3/5
-Terminator, The - 5/5 (Multiple viewings)
-Cop Out - 3/5
-Last Great Wilderness, The - 2/5
-Espinazo del diablo, El (The Devil's Backbone) - 4/5
-Zwartboek (Black Book) - 4/5
-Suspiria - 5/5 (Multiple viewings)
-Nightmare on Elm Street 3, A: Dream Warriors - 2/5
-Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, The (Tony Scott, 2009) - 3/5
American Ninja - 4/5 (Multiple viewings)
-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - 3/5
-Exit Wounds - 2/5
-Per qualche dollaro in piý (For a Few Dollars More) - 4/5
-Sunshine Cleaning - 3/5
-Management - 3/5
-She's Out of My League - 3/5 (Two viewings)
-Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (Night at the Museum 2) -
3/5
-Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead - 1/5
-Prime - 3/5
9 - 3/5
-KŰkaku kidŰtai (Ghost in the Shell) - 4/5

October:

-Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - 4/5
-Terrore nello spazio (Planet of the Vampires) (Mario Bava, 1965) - 3/5
-Fa yeung nin wa (In the Mood for Love) - 4/5
-Maschera del demonio, La (Black Sunday) (Mario Bava, 1960) - 3/5
-Lisa e il diavolo (Lisa and the Devil) (Mario Bava, 1974) - 3/5
-Surveillance - 2/5
-Lesbian Vampire Killers - 3/5
-Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga (Baron Blood) (Mario Bava, 1972) - 3/5
-Jui kuen (Drunken Master) - 4/5  
-Kill Switch - 2/5
-Okuribito (Departures) - 4/5
-Frostbite (Frostbiten) - 2/5
-Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters) - 3/5
-Wicked Little Things (Zombies) - 1/5
-Labor Pains - 2/5
-Bakjwi (Thirst) - 4/5
-I tre volti della paura (Black Sabbath) - 3/5
-Bangkok Dangerous (Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang, 1999) - 4/5
-Se ying diu sau (Snake in the Eagle's Shadow) - 4/5
-Hellraiser: Bloodline (Hellraiser IV: Bloodline) - 2/5
-
Nan bei zui quan (Dance of the Drunk Mantis) - 3/5
-xXx: State of the Union (xXx 2: The Next Level) - 2/5
-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 3/5 (Two viewings)
-Hellraiser - 3/5
-Persona - 4/5
-Inferno (Dario Argento, 1980) - 3/5
-American Werewolf in London, An - 4/5

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 10528
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/11/2010 2:49:31 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

FILMS WATCHED IN OCTOBER 2010

Features:

1. Back to the Future (1985, Zemeckis) RW C 10 imdb review

2. Baisers volťs [Stolen Kisses] (1968, Truffaut) 9 imdb review

3. Sunset Blvd. (1950, Wilder) 9 imdb review

4. Dawn of the Dead (1978, Romero) 8 imdb review

5. Diabolik [Danger: Diabolik] (1968, Bava) 8 imdb review

6. Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke] (1997, Miyazaki) 8 imdb review

7. Perfect Blue (1998, Kon) 8 imdb review

8. Night of the Living Dead (1968, Romero) 8 imdb review

9. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991, Cameron) 8 imdb review

10. Trading Places (1983, Landis) 8 imdb review

11. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, Allen) 8 imdb review

12. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht [Nosferatu the Vampyre] (1979, Herzog) 8 imdb review

13. Katzelmacher (1969, Fassbinder) 8 imdb review

14. Repulsion (1965, Polański) 8 imdb review

15. The Thin Blue Line (1988, Morris) 8 imdb review

16. Gaslight (1940, Dickinson) 8 imdb review

17. Lektionen in Finsternis [Lessons of Darkness] (1992, Herzog) 8 imdb review

18. Hable con ella [Talk to Her] (2002, Almodůvar) 8 imdb review

19. To Catch a Thief (1955, Hitchcock) 8 imdb review

20. The First Movie (2009, Cousins) C 8 imdb review

21. 4 mosche di velluto grigio [4 Flies on Grey Velvet] (1971, Argento) 8 imdb review

22. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009, Lord/Miller) 8 imdb review

23. The Toolbox Murders (1978, Donnelly) 7 imdb review

24. The Deer Hunter (1978, Cimino) 7 imdb review

25. Death Wish (1974, Winner) 7 imdb review

26. Una lucertola con la pelle di donna [Lizard in a Womanís Skin] (1971, Fulci) 6 imdb review

Shorts:

1. Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (1988, Haynes) {43 mins} 9 imdb review
2. Powers of Ten (1977, Eames/Eames) {9 mins} 8 imdb review
3. High and Dizzy (1920, Roach) {26 mins} 8 imdb review
4. Je tíaime John Wayne (2000, MacDonald) {10 mins} 7 imdb review
5. Get Out and Get Under (1920, Roach) {25 mins} 6 imdb review
6. Used (2005, Desai) {3 mins} 6 imdb review
7. Peter & the Wolf (2006, Templeton) {28 mins} 6 imdb review

Stats:
Films seen by decade (+shorts)
20s: 0 (+2)
30s: 0 (+0)
40s: 1 (+0)
50s: 2 (+0)
60s: 5 (+0)
70s: 7 (+1)
80s: 4 (+1)
90s: 4 (+0)
00s: 3 (+3)
10s: 0 (+0)

Average rating for features: 8.0
Average rating for shorts: 7.1
Average rating for cinema viewing: 9.0
Average rating for re-watches: 10

Directors with more than one feature:
George A. Romero, Werner Herzog - 2

Directors with one feature:
Robert Zemeckis, FranÁois Truffaut, Billy Wilder, Mario Bava, Hayao Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon, James Cameron, John Landis, Woody Allen, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Roman Polański, Errol Morris, Thorold Dickinson, Pedro Almodůvar, Alfred Hitchcock, Mark Cousins, Dario Argento, Phil Lord, Chris Miller, Dennis Donnelly, Michael Cimino, Michael Winner, Lucio Fulci

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 6/11/2010 11:03:41 AM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 10529
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/11/2010 10:37:00 AM   
Rinc

I only watched a shocking 3 films in October. That's the lowest in years.

Heaven Can Wait - 7/10
Zatoichi - 7/10
Breakfast at Tiffany's - 5/10

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 10530
Page:   <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  349 350 [351] 352 353   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI