Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  333 334 [335] 336 337   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 5/10/2010 8:25:57 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
With someone like Lennon he's going to be famous enough to have plenty of fans who are just casual fans. They like the music but haven't a clue about much of the backstory so they're going to get more out of the film. From that point of view I guess something like Control is more puzzling (great film that it is) because Ian Curtis isn't a mainstream star in the same sense, so it really does feel more aimed at the fans. At the end of the day I guess it's just people making films about people they feel passionate about.

I would think Lennon even trancends that to some degree, he's so uber-famous that most casual fans would know a bit (if not in detail) about his life. Maybe my view is skewed by the amount I know though.

And its a good point about Control - its a great film, and Riley does Curtis justice in a spectacular way, but yeah, I dunno who'd watch it if they weren't already au fait with the group. You're right of course, it is just people making films about people they admire, but they largely come up as pointless I guess, even though I enjoy a bunch of them.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10021
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/10/2010 1:15:59 AM   
swordsandsandals

Jules Et Jim

Better than Le Mepris. Not hard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10022
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/10/2010 11:59:02 AM   
MOTH

Memories of Murder (Bong Joon ho, 2003)
A very good police procedural/serial killer film, with excellent photography, charismatic leads and a nice streak of black humour. The similarly themed Zodiac probably has better characterisation and has more sustained suspense, but this has much better interrogation-by-flying-kung-fu-kick sequences. (8/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 10023
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/10/2010 12:08:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

A very good police procedural/serial killer film, with excellent photography, charismatic leads and a nice streak of black humour. The similarly themed Zodiac probably has better characterisation and has more sustained suspense, but this has much better interrogation-by-flying-kung-fu-kick sequences. (8/10)

It so doesn't . Downey Jr, though excellent, is hardly playing a groundbreaking maverickish journalist eg.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 10024
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 6/10/2010 12:42:50 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

It so doesn't . Downey Jr, though excellent, is hardly playing a groundbreaking maverickish journalist eg.

Hence the safety-net, fence-stting use of 'probably'

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10025
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 12:17:08 AM   
swordsandsandals

Back to the Future

GREAT SCOTT

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 10026
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 2:18:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

111. Home (1st view, 2008, Ursula Meier) - 4/5*
I didn't intentionally ignore recommendations people gave in the other thread, but I forget to list this one over there and it sounded quite interesting. Isabelle Huppert and her family have lived for a decade in a remote, isolated house located at the end of an unfinished motorway, but turmoil arrives when the road is completed and thousands of vehicles pass by daily. Very good.

October List

1. Back To The Future (30th+ view, 1985, Robert Zemeckis) - 5/5
2. Moon (1st view, 2009, Duncan Jones) - 4/5*
3. Burke and Hare (1st view, 2010, John Landis) - 4/5*
4. Of Time and The City (1st view, 2008, Terence Davies) - 4/5*
5. Daybreakers (1st view, 2009, Michael Spierig/Peter Spierig) - 4/5*
6. Buried (1st view, 2010, Rodrigo Cortés) - 4/5*
7. Thirst (1st view, 2009, Park Chan-wook) - 4/5*
8. Surf's Up (1st view, 2007, Ash Brannon/Chris Buck) - 4/5*
9. Home (1st view, 2008, Ursula Meier) - 4/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/11/2010 7:39:36 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 10027
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 6:59:16 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

111. Home (1st view, 2008, Ursula Meier) - 4/5*
I didn't intentionally ignore recommendations people gave in the other thread

You know you don't have to watch them the way we told you to, right? None of us here think our opinions are that important.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 10028
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 8:38:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

But I did ask and you all gave. I'd feel bad if I just ignored you all completely.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10029
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 11:42:03 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

You know you don't have to watch them the way we told you to, right? None of us here think our opinions are that important.

We clearly do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10030
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 11:45:57 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

We clearly do.

You think your opinion is that important? Ego on you.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 10031
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 11:47:07 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

We clearly do.

You think your opinion is that important? Ego on you.

Why are you acting as though you didn't already know this?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10032
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 11:50:59 AM   
rawlinson

Yeah, you do have a fair ego, I should have realised it wasn't all an act.

Post #: 10033
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 12:32:11 PM   
swordsandsandals

I've got a large ego, but then again I'm awesome so it's entirely justified.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10034
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 12:44:02 PM   
Pigeon Army

21. The Thing (1982, Carpenter, USA) - 4.5/5*
Reclaiming its place as my favourite horror upon a rewatch, there's very little that The Thing doesn't do well. Carpenter packs impeccable practical effects, nail-biting horror sequences (the blood test sequence is still world-class), a genuinely terrifying monster, stark and chilling cinematography, a cannily evocative score and fantastic performances into a tight, perfectly-measured invasion narrative. Carpenter's greatest triumph, though, is the characters - all immediately recognisable and well-played by their performers, the ways they drive each other up the wall and handle their newfound mistrust of their colleagues believable and immaculately observed.

84. The Other Guys (2010, McKay, USA) - 4/5
How you take to The Other Guys is incredibly dependent on how you take to other McKay-Ferrell films, particularly Anchorman. The same basic comedy formula from those films is here - rivals forced to work together, overly-verbose statements about what just happened, absurd and long-winded metaphors, etc. etc. Thankfully, the McKay formula works for me and the friends I saw it with, and we couldn't stop laughing at this. Ferrell takes on the role of the dense companion here, taking his performance in Stranger Than Fiction and, for the most part, cutting out the nuance; Wahlberg, meanwhile, is your typical brag-happy cop with a chip on his shoulder, and he plays the role completely straight, which works surprisingly well against Ferrell's bureaucracy-loving dullard. It's hilarious throughout (we were one of two groups of people constantly laughing in a quarter-full theatre, which was sad), has a killer cast (though some are wasted - Heche, Coogan and Keaton never really get the chance to shine they deserve) and manages to weave in a surprisingly interesting critique of the recent economic crisis and society's treatment of public servants behind all of that, like a less-nuanced Hot Fuzz. There are issues - the passive-aggressive domestic abuse on display is uncomfortable rather than funny, even if that is the point; the wasted cast members - but they're not massive in relation to the sheer amounts of funny on offer.

100. The Fog (1980, Carpenter, USA) - 4/5
I was quite surprised by how solid The Fog is, given my indifference towards Carpenter's previous slasher, Halloween. Carpenter understands how to make a ghost story work, and he throws us into the shoes of four groups of individuals on the day of the 100th anniversary of Antonio Bay. Carpenter is an expert at wringing horror out of the most mundane of situations, and the way he handles the over-exposed fog, sneaking in, appearing unexpectedly and moving as if it had a life of its own, is as unnerving as the things it's hiding. Like The Orphanage, reviewed below, it moves a bit too fast for its own good and doesn't spend long enough dwelling on why the fog has arrived, but unlike The Orphanage, there's no real disconnect here - the people threatened all seem to be more relatable, more friendly, more interesting, somehow.

119. Poltergeist (1982, Hooper, USA) - 4/5
It has Spielberg's prints all over it, and if the stories are true, there's a very good reason for that. That said, Poltergeist is as scary as it should be for the demographic it's pitched at, and the highly visceral scares are pulled off well, though a lot of the early non-pratical effects are kind of disappointing, especially at the start. It helps that the film has a solid emotional core in the Freeling family - the parents are played with a refreshingly easy-going candor by Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams, and the kids are all suitable enough (though I really wanted to punch Oliver Robins' face - he has a very punchable face), and this actually makes the (slightly tame) scare sequences rather more freaky than they would normally be. Also, fucking clown dolls. Fuck them.

150. Lola rennt (Run Lola Run) (1998, Tykwer, GER) - 4/5*
Upon revisiting it three years since I last saw it, I was slightly underwhelmed with Tykwer's international breakthrough film, if only because it frequently feels like style for the sake of it - the animated sequences serve a purpose any 100-level Film student could easily decipher and be dissatisfied by, some fancy shots are left to do their thing for too long, and the whole thing gives off a vibe of trying to say something deeper than it actually is saying. That's not to say it's not an enjoyable or a thoughtful film - it's a film full of visceral, flashy aesthetic delights, Potente and Bliebtreu are great as the lovers in trouble, and it puts a lot of thought into its commentary about the complete arbitrariness of time - about taking time's passage and the gamble it creates as a given, learning from your mistakes and rectifying the wrongs you've done. However, it still feels like the film wants to say something more about chance and butterfly effects and all that shit, but anything along those lines isn't really sold that well.

175. El orfanato (The Orphanage) (2007, Bayona, SPN/MEX) - 3.5/5
No doubt, director J.A. Bayona has learned under del Toro's tutelage - his cinematography has the same lush density, the same sense of colour and how to use it evocatively, the same understanding of framing and building tension through it. The Orphanage is a beautiful film, the dark and cold colours playing with the ornate, expansive building of the title and creating terror where there is none and giving the house a character all of its own. That said, the storytelling lacks the finesse and flow that one would expect of a work so heavily influenced by del Toro - aside from the nail-biting summoning sequence, all the scares feel courteously separated from the progression of the narrative, and the way the story was told left me oddly disconnected from the whole. It felt like it was moving too fast on as little information as it could, and I'd prefer the film to have taken its time, let us get to know the characters and their relationships a bit more.

185. Ôdishon (Audition) (1999, Miike, SKR/JPN) – 3.5/5*
While I appreciate what Miike is trying to do with this film, I really do, there's no doubt in my mind that the 75 minute build-up to the pay-off is a bit too boring and uninspired to warrant it. Miike's playing with convention is nice and all, but the romance itself feels kind of lacklustre, and on top of that, Asami is just plain creepy from the get-go, and that hurts what Miike's attempting to do with getting the audience comfortable before throwing them for a curveball. It's hard to get comfortable when she moves and stares so unnaturally, and the dramatic pay-off doesn't shock as much as it should as a result. It's still a fucking twisted pay-off, though, and the film is easy to get through almost because of it, because this final act is a fascinating and brutal subversion that opens up a whole can of themes and ideas to be dealt with.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 10035
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 1:01:37 PM   
matty_b

quote:

I was quite surprised by how solid The Fog is, given my indifference towards Carpenter's previous slasher, Halloween. Carpenter understands how to make a ghost story work, and he throws us into the shoes of four groups of individuals on the day of the 100th anniversary of Antonio Bay. Carpenter is an expert at wringing horror out of the most mundane of situations, and the way he handles the over-exposed fog, sneaking in, appearing unexpectedly and moving as if it had a life of its own, is as unnerving as the things it's hiding. Like The Orphanage, reviewed below, it moves a bit too fast for its own good and doesn't spend long enough dwelling on why the fog has arrived, but unlike The Orphanage, there's no real disconnect here - the people threatened all seem to be more relatable, more friendly, more interesting, somehow.

I think The Fog is quite an underrated film. I particularly love the opening, from Houseman's campfire story to the shots of the still town in the dead of night slowly being stirred by the supernatural forces.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 10036
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 1:02:57 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Dark Star is Carpenter's best film by far.

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10037
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 4:02:10 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I think The Fog is quite an underrated film. I particularly love the opening, from Houseman's campfire story to the shots of the still town in the dead of night slowly being stirred by the supernatural forces.

I'm glad this is coming with recommendations, I've just received it in my rentals this week.  The Thing was very good and of course I really like Escape from New York. Christine is on it's way too. Here's hoping I'm a bigger fan of Carpenter by the end of the week.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10038
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 4:03:52 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

PA, I love how opinions on Lola Runs are almost exactly matched but you gave me shit for it just a month ago...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 10039
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 4:21:10 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

107. The Blue Dahlia (1946, Marshall)
Another one from my noir boxset. I was drawn in by Chandler's involvement, but was pleasantly surprised by the other things as well. The script isn't actually as eloquent as you would expect from Chandler, and the number of possible suspects along with other things makes this only a moderately noir-esque crime mystery, but Ladd and Lake work as well together as one'd expect, the supporting actors (especially Bendix and Da Silva, as well as Costello in his final role) are great, and while it doesn't have the visual flair of certain noir masterpieces, it has some nice compositions. Ultimately, this is a nicely down-to-earth film with great little touches like the thug's treatment of his broken leg and even the clichéd scenes are well executed, like Ladd and Lake in the car. Apart from Destry Rides Again, Marshall doesn't seem to have many renown credits to his name, but based on this, I might just search. 8

Marshall was really just a journeyman hack, but he's got a few decent movies in the filmog. A couple you might want to catch: The Ghost Breakers reunites the leads of the 1939 smash-hit horror-comedy The Cat and the Canary, Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, for more of the same. It's disjointed, but there are plenty of good jokes and a few decent scares, including a big scary zombie. Another nice Marshall-directed flick is the all-star WW2 musicomedy Star Spangled Rhythm, which is great fun, and was Paramount's contribution to this great sub-genre.

quote:

125. Hail the Conquering Hero (1944, P. Sturges)
Not nearly as funny as I expected, but has a dramatic punch. Bracken is brilliant in the main role, Raines is also a great unknown lead, and the stock company (except for Pangborn, who is repetitive as fuck) is flawless. The satire is obvious, and this is not nearly as good as Christmas in July (which this resembles except for heroism substituting wealth) or Sturges’ excellent 1941 duo. Still, much better than it could have been. 8

For flip's sake, mate, what is wrong with you? Nice to see the praise for Bracken though; that's one of my favourite turns in American cinema.

quote:

6. The Cat Concerto (1947, Hanna/Barbera) {7 mins}
Not the best Tom and Jerry, but pretty damn close. Has lost all novelty value by now, of course, but there's not a single off note (see what I did there?). 10

Yes!

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 10040
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 4:58:24 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

107. The Blue Dahlia (1946, Marshall)
Another one from my noir boxset. I was drawn in by Chandler's involvement, but was pleasantly surprised by the other things as well. The script isn't actually as eloquent as you would expect from Chandler, and the number of possible suspects along with other things makes this only a moderately noir-esque crime mystery, but Ladd and Lake work as well together as one'd expect, the supporting actors (especially Bendix and Da Silva, as well as Costello in his final role) are great, and while it doesn't have the visual flair of certain noir masterpieces, it has some nice compositions. Ultimately, this is a nicely down-to-earth film with great little touches like the thug's treatment of his broken leg and even the clichéd scenes are well executed, like Ladd and Lake in the car. Apart from Destry Rides Again, Marshall doesn't seem to have many renown credits to his name, but based on this, I might just search. 8

Marshall was really just a journeyman hack, but he's got a few decent movies in the filmog. A couple you might want to catch: The Ghost Breakers reunites the leads of the 1939 smash-hit horror-comedy The Cat and the Canary, Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, for more of the same. It's disjointed, but there are plenty of good jokes and a few decent scares, including a big scary zombie. Another nice Marshall-directed flick is the all-star WW2 musicomedy Star Spangled Rhythm, which is great fun, and was Paramount's contribution to this great sub-genre.

quote:

125. Hail the Conquering Hero (1944, P. Sturges)
Not nearly as funny as I expected, but has a dramatic punch. Bracken is brilliant in the main role, Raines is also a great unknown lead, and the stock company (except for Pangborn, who is repetitive as fuck) is flawless. The satire is obvious, and this is not nearly as good as Christmas in July (which this resembles except for heroism substituting wealth) or Sturges’ excellent 1941 duo. Still, much better than it could have been. 8

For flip's sake, mate, what is wrong with you? Nice to see the praise for Bracken though; that's one of my favourite turns in American cinema.

quote:

6. The Cat Concerto (1947, Hanna/Barbera) {7 mins}
Not the best Tom and Jerry, but pretty damn close. Has lost all novelty value by now, of course, but there's not a single off note (see what I did there?). 10

Yes!
I did get that impression on Marshall, but thanks for the recommendations. What is wrong with my review of Conquering Hero?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 10041
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 5:03:14 PM   
rick_7

It was just a bit muted. And you appear to have only given it 8/10.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 10042
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 5:15:12 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

It was just a bit muted. And you appear to have only given it 8/10.
I think the satire is terrific and so is Bracken but it's much lower on laughs than most of his other stuff. I agree about the review being muted, mind. I finished the boxset with it but can't wait to see Morgan's Creek and Unfaithfully Yours now.
BTW,
quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7 in his top 100 thread

dictates an election speech to his secretary's boyfriend, who he suspects may be an idiot.

Isn't his son his secretary's boyfriend/fiancee?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 10043
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 5:53:39 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

Reclaiming its place as my favourite horror upon a rewatch, there's very little that The Thing doesn't do well.

I bet it has wipe cuts though, right?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 10044
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 7:57:34 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

7. Back To The Future (30th+ view, 1985, Robert Zemeckis) - 5/5

I think this is the first old favourite I've seen on the big screen through a re-release. LOTR doesn't count as I saw them first time round, It's A Wonderful Life I'd only really loved for a few years when I saw that and Apocalypse Now Redux had extra stuff and I hated the original anyway, and I can''t think of any others at the moment. Oh, maybe Toy Story in 3D, which I missed first time round But that's all besides the point. Back To The Future is brilliant, plain and simple, and it was a joy to watch it again after about 4 years. I generally hate it when people go on about films today not being like they were, but BTTF and a very select few from the 80's have a aspect of sheer wonderful enjoyability that most (most I say, not all) blockbusters of today lack. Perfect casting for the leads, great music, excellent comedy and tension, and a cracking script (even if Toy Story's Rex does better a few of George McFly's lines). Excellent.

Much more better!

Post #: 10045
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 9:57:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

PA, I love how opinions on Lola Runs are almost exactly matched but you gave me shit for it just a month ago...

You are such a terrible liar. This is all that was said about Run Lola Run by myself when you reviewed it -

quote:

quote:

quote:

93. Lola rennt [Run Lola Run] (1998, Tykwer)
MTV does Blind Chance with guns? The film is much reviled in "movie snob" circles, and I can certainly see why,

What fuck off no it isn't it's awesome
Seriously, mention it on the interwebs in a place a touch snobbier than Lists and people will tell you to fuck off.

The rest of the conversation was mocking you for thinking TLC were arbiters of good taste. Get your facts right.

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Reclaiming its place as my favourite horror upon a rewatch, there's very little that The Thing doesn't do well.

I bet it has wipe cuts though, right?

Nah, it has too many close-ups. I hate close-ups.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 10046
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 7/10/2010 10:09:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Nah, it has too many close-ups. I hate close-ups.

Close-ups hate you anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 10047
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/10/2010 1:34:38 AM   
swordsandsandals

The Thin Red Line (1998, Terrence Malick)

It's the modern equivalent to the war poems of Sassoon, Owen et al. At times brutal, at others beautiful, it captures the emotions, psychology and the feel of war like nothing else can. Phenomenal.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10048
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/10/2010 1:37:01 AM   
Deviation

That is true.

What is not true is The Fog being good. PA, you are not a king. You are a liar and a bully.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 10049
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 8/10/2010 2:58:17 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

That is true.

What is not true is The Fog being good. PA, you are not a king. You are a liar and a bully.

The Fog is great what are you talking about

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10050
Page:   <<   < prev  333 334 [335] 336 337   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  333 334 [335] 336 337   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI