Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 11:40:09 AM   
Pigeon Army

SPOILERS FOR THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

Doesn't change what he's doing - using them specifically because he's obsessed with a ridiculous painting.

I did say it gets bogged down in stupid melodrama towards the end, did I not? I liked it otherwise. It was really good up until that third act.

Also, "using for a painting" =/= multi-generational grooming in this case.

But didn't it alter the way you viewed the rest of the film once you found out what he was doing?

Did I think he was a) grooming her or b) using them for a painting? No. I never got the impression that anything he did was for a bad reason, he just got caught up in things - as he says, he intended to be gone in a day but, before he knew it, it was summer. The film draws comparisons between Chiaki's time-leaping and travelling abroad, and I think they're perfectly reasonable explanations - he knows he's leaving, it's just to a different time rather than a different place, and that doesn't mean he can't make friends or fall in love. Personally, you sound like you're trying too hard to find something suspect in his motives. It drops into silly melodrama, sure, but not ethically dodgy melodrama.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/9/2010 11:42:07 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9301
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 11:52:14 AM   
elab49

Spoilers for Girl Who Leapt Through Time because PA uses old-fashioned insults like ninny

I found my old review - I haven't seen it since but that is the persistent memory I have of it

"
you start wondering if the aunt is actually Makoto, or, if not, Chiaki messed with both of them selfishly for this one painting, whose importance is pretty much ignored, unless he is some kind of sociopath. His manipulation of Makoto with having to 'go away' - although how without any leaps or presumably much of a resource there - that made her use her 'new' final leap does seem to indicate that.

On one level, perfectly watchable - but then it does start to get rather annoying when you think about it."

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/9/2010 12:24:13 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 9302
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 12:13:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

AGAIN, SPOILERS - ALSO IN ELAB'S POSTS, BUT SHE CAN'T BE BOTHERED WARNING YOU BECAUSE SHE'S A NINNY

quote:

I found my old review - I haven't seen it since but that is the persistent memory I have of it

"you start wondering if the aunt is actually Makoto, or, if not, Chiaki messed with both of them selfishly for this one painting, whose importance is pretty much ignored, unless he is some kind of sociopath. His manipulation of Makoto with having to 'go away' - although how without any leaps or presumably much of a resource there - that made her use her 'new' final leap does seem to indicate that.

On one level, perfectly watchable - but then it does start to get rather annoying when you think about it."

Well, the aunt is actually (impliedly) the protagonist from the original television series the film is a continuation of, so there you go. The more you know.

Again, though, I don't think he's 'using' them for the painting - they're utterly peripheral to his attempts to see it. The film states explicitly that he just lost track of time and got caught up in what the world had to offer in lieu of seeing the painting. Perhaps he's biding his time until the painting comes back and he can leap back to the future, but I doubt he knew Makoto was in any way associated with the painting - indeed, the flashbacks paint his association with Makoto as entirely coincidental, arising from Kousuke's interaction with him after a fight (and given what Chiaki tells us about the future, it's doubtful they have information that specific on what happened in the past).

As to the "disappearance"? It's not inconceivable that there's a way for other leapers to find out about a divulging of what they do, and perhaps the consequences arise from that. That's one of the parts I feel is ill thought out and overly melodramatic, though. It doesn't strike me as 'manipulative', though, unless he's manipulating her into actually taking some responsibility for once - which might well be the case, and seems fairly reasonable given what her flippancy with time travelling has produced.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/9/2010 12:14:19 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9303
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 12:32:19 PM   
elab49

Girl Who Leapt Through Time

But the aunt remembers him - he 'knew' her and she restored the painting didn't she? That's not peripheral, unless I'm really misremembering this. Then he uses Chiaki to get still get back after he sees his precious daub.

I knew it was a book or a much older manga, I didn't know about a TV series.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 9304
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 12:40:11 PM   
Pigeon Army

CONTINUED

quote:

Girl Who Leapt Through Time

But the aunt remembers him - he 'knew' her and she restored the painting didn't she? That's not peripheral, unless I'm really misremembering this. Then he uses Chiaki to get still get back after he sees his precious daub.

I knew it was a book or a much older manga, I didn't know about a TV series.

Book/manga/TV series - it was all and more.

I always thought the aunt remembered someone, but it wasn't necessarily Chiaki - she seems to speak of him as Makoto's friend, not as someone else. There's one point in the film where she and Makoto talk about how she always seemed to be on track to miss Kousuke and Chiaki entirely and date someone else, and it seems like she simply knows of him as Chiaki, not as an old flame. You raise an interesting question about her involvement in the restoration, but it seems like Chiaki's a separate character to whoever she recalls from her childhood. Maybe I missed something, though. vv

Also, ninny's a perfectly reasonable insult, you.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/9/2010 12:41:24 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9305
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:03:22 PM   
elab49

Ninny is very sweet and old-fashioned.

Which completely alters my opinion of you

quote:

Post #: 9306
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:08:28 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Ninny is very sweet and old-fashioned.

Which completely alters my opinion of you

Don't make me bust out the heavy artillery.

You twit.

EDIT: In case I haven't actually seriously asked yet, could you please send me a copy of Canterbury Tale for the HoF? I remember noting that it was unavailable in NZ on DVD in the HoF thread, but I don't know if I asked for it explicitly.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/9/2010 1:09:55 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9307
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:09:33 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 9308
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:12:45 PM   
Pigeon Army

DAMN IT DEVI AT LEAST WARN US BEFORE YOU POST THAT DAMN THING

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9309
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:16:23 PM   
elab49

Or don't pic spam it in here

quote:

Post #: 9310
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:45:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

EDIT: In case I haven't actually seriously asked yet, could you please send me a copy of Canterbury Tale for the HoF? I remember noting that it was unavailable in NZ on DVD in the HoF thread, but I don't know if I asked for it explicitly.

NZ is weird. Fuck all on dvd yet you seem to get everything cool shown in the cinema.

Post #: 9311
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 1:51:07 PM   
elab49

Hi PA - yep, I took it as a specific request. It'll be sorted this weekend

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9312
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 2:05:33 PM   
Pigeon Army

^Thanks, elab. You is legend. Like Will Smith, innit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

NZ is weird. Fuck all on dvd yet you seem to get everything cool shown in the cinema.

You just gotta know where to look, there's all sorts of cool shit happening in my city - eg the Japanese Cultural Foundation (or something, I dunno their name) is running a small festival at the NZ Film Archive, and I caught Girl Who Leapt there yesterday and the quite enjoyable, sweet, funny Kamome Diner there today (review later). I also have free tickets to see The Mask of Fu Manchu there next week.

And yeah, this is the same Film Archive that found Upstream.

[/gloat]

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9313
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 2:49:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I suspect I may have become the last person in the world to see Avatar last night, finally hooked in to trying this "3D thing all the kids are talking about".

The film itself is solid. There's hardly an ounce of originality in anything that's happening and you can pretty much predict the next page of the plot. But it works in what it sets out to do, which is to build a platform for a stunningly imagined other-world. And this is where the 3D kicks in. It's not changed my life forever, I don't see it as so significant to film as sound or colour, but it enhanced the scenes in the woods in particular without being a game-changer. I never thought I was in the action, but I think it elevated an okay film that I'd watch on TV in a couple of years to a must-see event (even if it took me 9 months to get there). Am I excited about forthcoming 3D releases though? Not at all, give me a good plot any day, it'll get me much more involved in the film than any 3D gimmick.

xXx 2 : State of the Union 2/5
My apathy for the first part of xXx seems to have stretched for several years. And that was the one with Vin Diesel for the 6 months that he was at his prime!

The fact that I watched this film just over 24 hours ago and really can't remember much about it at all speaks volumes for its incessant mediocrity. We've all done it in studies or work. You are a bit hungover or just not in the mood, but that project needs to be completed. You put in the minimum of effort and its an embarrassment to yourself. I'm guessing that a lot of good late nights must have been enjoyed over the duration of the "scripting" and shoot to manager something so consistently low.

The best bit is the ending. A real teaser for part 3. Which of course hasn't come (yet), although with Salt maybe it has.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 2/9/2010 4:00:43 PM >

Post #: 9314
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 4:25:52 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Whoever dislikes Rohmer is an uncultured heathen.

Or likes genuine characters instead of insufferable, shakeable whiners

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 9315
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 6:27:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The film itself is solid.

Funny joke.

quote:

Funny joke.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9316
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 6:48:59 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Funny joke.

Good to see you do have a sense of humor

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 2/9/2010 6:49:31 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9317
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/9/2010 10:34:27 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

quote:

I'd argue that those whiners are far more genuine than 99% of characters in other films, but I can't be fucked.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 9318
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 12:15:57 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

quote:

I'd argue that those whiners are far more genuine than 99% of characters in other films, but I can't be fucked.

Careful, Ultimo, Miles lives just like a Rohmer character, so you probably just offended him.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 9319
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:14:56 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Second and last update for August (with three films from early September). Another Paul, Miles, and a haiku.

8. Gladiator (2000, R. Scott)
It's been a while for me, but IMO, this (to be specific, the super-duper extended edition) is probably the greatest epic of the past decade, a decade which, at its best, probably exceeded the genre's former glory (think LOTR, Hero, and a film that will be (sort of) reviewed below). Not only is it gorgeously shot (with CGI which pretty much single-handedly justifies the use of computers in films), and brilliantly acted (by Crowe, Phoenix, Reed and Harris in particular), and has fantastically entertaining battle scenes ("Are you not entertained?" indeed), and a great score (even though it sounds like a combination of Holst and Zimmer's score for "The Rock", and of course it was later recycled for "Pirates") but it also has great writing, and something most blockbusters seem to lack - a brain. Also, historical inaccuracies be damned (and they're a dime a dozen here), Roman Empire is a fantastic setting for a big budget film. Definitely a favourite of mine.

82. Il gattopardo [The Leopard] (1963, Visconti)
First of all, breathtakingly gorgeous, especially the cinema print I watched. Perhaps in the top 20 widescreen movies I've ever seen in terms of cinematography. The music is also wonderful and the cast is very impressive (though the 3 leads have all been better elsewhere (SSoS, LS, OUATITW), their performances didn't disappoint (and also, Cardinale and Delon are two of the most beautiful people ever)).
However, it doesn't quite live up to the promise of its first hour, never fully justifying its extensive running length. The influences on Coppola are obvious, but The Godfather (which has a similar running time) never feels like a slog whereas this had me checking my watch towards the end. It's not that it's ever totally uninteresting - the screenplay is frequently just as great as the visuals and performances, but films with extensive run-times benefit from changes of scenery in my experience. Perhaps retaining the latter parts of the novel (which I haven't read yet) would make it more tolerable. As it stands, I certainly want to see more Visconti, it's just I wish this had a heart behind the beautiful skin.

95. Once (2006, Carney)
Great music, but slightly one-note (I know it's not story oriented, but the way for example it sets up a conflict with the studio guy ("bunch of fucking oddballs") and then just has him amazed by the music is too twee for my taste). The ending is gorgeous though.

98. Zabriskie Point (1970, Antonioni)
Weird and wonderful (and beautiful with a brilliant soundtrack), but the weakest Antonioni I've seen so far. Very messy compared to his trilogy, probably because of the language and studio conflicts. Maybe a re-watch will improve things, not that it's remotely bad, of course.

117. Inception (2010, Nolan)
It's alright.

125. Kingdom of Heaven (2005, R. Scott)
The film I mentioned in the Gladiator review. Unfortunately, I watched the shorter cut which is noticeably clunky, but I never got the vitriol against Bloom and the supporting cast is brilliant, the battles exciting, and again, while it's bullshit historically, it's interesting and intelligent.

159. Crank: High Voltage (2009, Neveldine/Taylor)
utterly fucked up
agressive stupidity
super inventive

161. Primer (2004, Carruth)
Not sure about this one. It's admirable that Carruth made it for just $7000 and did a shitload of work for it (though until I checked later, I thought he played the other main character), but that doesn't really affect the quality of the film. What does is the technobabble, which in my opinion is pointless since time travel isn't possible anyway, and only aims to make the film so confusing that you don't really get what's going on until a re-watch, and the thing is, I'm not sure I care enough to re-watch it. Ethical considerations of time travel are fine, I guess, but give me Calvin and his time travel cardboard box any day. The film certainly has a right to exist, but I don't get the admiration, let's put it that way.

165. The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky)
I wanted to see Pi from Aronofsky first, but a friend had this and wanted to watch it. It's pretty good, but a bit nondescript. The performances are good (though I'm not sure about Wood's), but the story feels recycled, and I really don't care about wrestling (I mean, if the matches are fixed beforehand, how can you become obscure as long as you're popular?). I'd rather watch Sin City for a "new Rourke", though this is occasionally moving (like when he peps himself up for the deli stand by imagining cheers) and has a good ending (I think he dies). Definitely looking forward to his less orthodox stuff now.

173. Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (1972, Allen)
The vignettes are of varying quality and only moderately funny, but I guess you gotta admire the level of invention here - the last segment in particular is a beauty (with Burt Reynolds as a brain cell and Woody as a sperm), and I liked the Italian one and the game show and the doctor's castle. The Wilder segment in particular though is too long and WTF-ish, but the whole thing is definitely worth it after all.

181. Vicky Christina Barcelona (2008, Allen)
Slightly better on the re-watch - a sort of Rohmer-esque series of conversations about love, but Rohmer's films that I've seen have neither the super-annoying voiceovers nor the occasionally hyper-clunky dialogue (I mean, "Let's not get into one of those turgid categorical imperative arguments", WTF?). Barcelona is shot beautifully though, the performances are all good (and it doesn't hurt having two of the hottest modern actresses in it), but I can't get past the thought that this is just another shrink-appointment-film for Allen, and it's nowhere near as funny or interesting as his classic ones.

186. The Last King of Scotland (2006, Macdonald)
Ridiculous story (which claims to be true which adds to the insult), boring, badly directed. The acting is solid but nothing Oscar-worthy there. Yeah, no, thanks, see White Material instead. Still want to see Touching the Void though.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 3/9/2010 2:20:44 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 9320
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:17:14 PM   
Deviation

quote:

8. Gladiator (2000, R. Scott)

82. Il gattopardo [The Leopard] (1963, Visconti)

quote:

quote:

Post #: 9321
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:21:10 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Gladiator has a similar run-time but feels twice shorter.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9322
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:22:45 PM   
Deviation

I have only seen the Theatrical Cut of Gladiator. It is 30 minutes shorter. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 9323
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:26:54 PM   
Deviation

The Great Dictator- 3/5

When I first saw it, I wasn't impressed. After this re-watch, I am still not impressed. A brave satire of Hitler and the Nazi Party it might be, it might also feature some fantastic laughs, especially during the scenes involving Hynkel and Napoloni, and the satire, while as subtle as a sledgehammer, can be biting, but it is also an over-sentimental . It features both Chaplin's greatest performance as Phooey Hynkel and his dullest, as the Jewish Barber (even if he has a great moment when he shaves a customer to the tune of Bhrams Hungarian Dance), his humor is at its funniest in one moment and at its most stale. It's a flawed film, maudling at times, excellent at others, but it is however worth one watch and the final speech at the end is surprisingly moving (did anyone not notice a sudden change in character?). And Jack Oackie deserves high acclaim for his brilliant Napolean/Mussolini piss-take.

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos- 4/5

As someone who most of the time finds football as fun as granny sex, it is truly surprising on how most engaging most of the film is, focusing on the short-lived success of the New York Cosmos. There is something of a lull later in the film, but most of it is a stylish, interesting and unique tale of a man who tried to introduce a sport into a nation that had little interest for it. Filled with awesome, fitting editing techniques.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - 4/5

Still massive fun, with excellent dialogue, a likable villain, great space battles and some outstanding special effects. And the ending still packs a punch.

(500) Days of Summer- 4/5

Why did the words "Annie Hall" ring so hard while I was watching this?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 3/9/2010 2:32:45 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 9324
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:31:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Ridiculous story (which claims to be true which adds to the insult), boring, badly directed. The acting is solid but nothing Oscar-worthy there. Yeah, no, thanks, see White Material instead. Still want to see Touching the Void though.

Pretty much how I felt about it. Whitaker takes one of history's most horrendous dictators and reduces him to a glorified Bond villain and is rewarded with an Oscar for it? Having a quick look on IMDB tells me Best Actor that year was particularly poor, but Ryan Gosling was utterly robbed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 9325
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:32:43 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
113. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010; Edgar Wright)

THIS IS LIKE A 9/10 ISN'T IT?!

For some reason, I thought Rawls would hate it. Does Elab like it? That would surely mean it is brilliant.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9326
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 2:44:39 PM   
elab49

quote:

(500) Days of Summer- 4/5

Why did the words "Annie Hall" ring so hard while I was watching this?

That might have been the echo of my shouting them

I don't like Once - I still object to it being below The Leopard though.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9327
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 3:44:50 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

165. The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky)
I wanted to see Pi from Aronofsky first, but a friend had this and wanted to watch it. It's pretty good, but a bit nondescript. The performances are good (though I'm not sure about Wood's), but the story feels recycled, and I really don't care about wrestling (I mean, if the matches are fixed beforehand, how can you become obscure as long as you're popular?). I'd rather watch Sin City for a "new Rourke", though this is occasionally moving (like when he peps himself up for the deli stand by imagining cheers) and has a good ending (I think he dies). Definitely looking forward to his less orthodox stuff now.

Yeah, my main problem with The Wrestler is it feels like Aronofsky just made it to get Rourke back on screen. I don't know where the director from Pi was in there.

quote:

My main problem with that movie was that it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an out there thriller, or a study of a desspot. It achieved neither in the end, though Whitaker's performance is really good.

quote:

The Great Dictator- 3/5

You suck, surprising no-one.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 9328
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 3:45:46 PM   
Deviation

I'm sorry. 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 9329
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/9/2010 4:53:20 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Pretty much how I felt about it. Whitaker takes one of history's most horrendous dictators and reduces him to a glorified Bond villain and is rewarded with an Oscar for it? Having a quick look on IMDB tells me Best Actor that year was particularly poor, but Ryan Gosling was utterly robbed.
Hell, I'd even take Smith in Pursuit of Happyness over Whittaker in this, and the worst thing about it is that he is capable of being a brilliant actor, but instead is reduced to a farting paranoiac.
elab, what's your problem with The Leopard?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9330
Page:   <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI