Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 12:47:23 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Watched quite a few films over the past few days.

Features:

40. Splendor in the Grass (1961, Kazan)
A very pleasant surprise, considering I hated my first and until now only Kazan (On the Waterfront) and also hate another 1961 film with Natalie Wood in it (West Side Story). Wood is actually astonishing in this, playing her role with the right dose of melodrama, restraint, and embodying the vulnerable beauty perfectly. Beatty is also good. Kaufman's visuals are great. The atmosphere of the period is captured well, and Loden's character is also intriguing. In essence, it's Umbrellas of Cherbourg meets Romeo and Juliet, but emotionally it got through to me more than either of those. 8

48. Chocolat [Chocolate] (1988, Denis)
Great debut feature. The film has a leisurely pace and no real closure, and it's much better because of that. The cinematography and use of sound (along with the score in selected scenes) create a natural and believable atmosphere. Chocolat doesn't have an agenda (though it obviously comments on racism and colonialism) but instead lets the viewer draw his own conclusions. I loved how the film is shown through the perspective of an outsider by virtue of age. The performances are low-key but emotive, and the characters' imperfections only help them to seem real. The loose structure certainly doesn't help the slow pace, but I actually expected the film to be slower, probably because I took philistines' reviews for granted. It drew me into its little world, and I'm looking forward to what Denis has in store for me (hopefully more like that than White Material) 8

50. À bout de souffle [Breathless] (1960, Godard)
Second viewing, this time on the big screen. Fun, well acted (though Seberg's accent is funny, I still like her performance, and Belmondo is superb), and has some great lines ("I talked about myself and you talked about yourself", etc.). On the other hand, it does have bullshit like "to become immortal and then die". This time around I didn't think the New Wave stuff particularly stood out, but while I liked the 4th wall stuff, I still don't get the necessity of jump cuts in this other than "look at my crazy editing". Anyway, it's no Shoot the Piano Player or A Woman is a Woman, but fun stuff from Godard, and the big screen added to that. New York Herald Tribune! 8

79. White Material (2009, Denis)
Wasn't prepared for that, to be honest. Hard-hitting. Very beautiful (especially because I saw it on the big screen, of course), but I didn't find it as satisfying as Chocolat. Some characters seemed superfluous, and it took the film a while to really get where it was going. Some things about it are great (the son's transformation, though bizarre, works) and it certainly carried its depiction of violence across well, and the ending is brilliant, but it's no Come and See, for instance, and could have done with some development. I liked the cold open though, very disorientating. Seeing it in the cinema made it more harrowing though. 8

84. The 39 Steps (1935, Hitchcock)
Pretty good (can't believe Hitch's first update of this was Saboteur). Funny at times, and has some pretty suspenseful sequences. Donat is great. Problems? Carroll's character was ridiculous, acting, relationship, coincidence, everything. Plus, I didn't feel it had the finesse of his classic stuff (this is my 14th or 15th Hitch, and the earliest chronologically). Still, quick, good fun. 8

133. Juno (2007, J. Reitman)
First of all, don't Reitman's films have the most ridiculous "look at me" title sequences? Still, I thought Thank You for Smoking was excellent and Up in the Air very good. This is weaker. Page, Simmons, and particularly Cera are great, but there are a fair few problems. First of all, Garner's character is wallpaper. Secondly, most of the pop culture dialogue was bullshit. Thirdly, there was an overuse of music montages. I didn't mind stuff like "silencio, old man" though, no matter how ridiculous it sounded (Best Original Screenplay though? Really, Academy?), and the story itself was quite touching, with a few good laughs along the way. And, as mentioned before, most of the cast is very good. Still a disappointment. 7

136. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971, Stuart)
Never seen this before. Very average and schmaltzy when Wilder isn't on the screen, but when he is, it's pretty awesome. Could easily do without a couple of earlier songs and the burping scene. The book is better , naturally, but at least this wasn't the Burton travesty. 7

145. Jour de fête [Festival Day] (1949, Tati)
Starts off really slow, which makes me think this could be better as a short with the first half condensed (and of course it was based on a short). It's forgettable visually (though the colour confusion makes that worse), but it has a certain charm and picks up pace (though still not laughs) as it continues. Certainly looking forward to Tati's later stuff, hope it's more substantial (this has certain themes of progress, etc., which I understand he would elaborate on in his later work), and also funnier. 7

Shorts:

2. Begone Dull Care (1949, McLaren) {8 mins}
I'll write something about it later (wink wink nudge nudge).

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 12/7/2010 12:57:06 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 7261
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 12:54:43 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

I still don't get the necessity of jump cuts in this other than "look at my crazy editing"

I'm pretty sure it's so Godard could just leave the camera running and then put what he wanted into the film, to save money, etc.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 7262
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:00:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Solomon Kane (Bassett, 2009)

Purefoy does that reasonably well. I'm not sure how accurate his West Country accent is, but it's certainly a shock to hear something different in this kind of film.

Well, it's not one of the cooler, sexier accents in the world, is it? "Allo there, alroight!" You don't see a lot of people with West Country accents in respected positions of authority, like war correspondents. "Allo there, I'm in Rammalla, and, uh, Yasser Arafat, he won' come out of his compound - COME OUT YASSER - he won't come out! COME OUT YASSER! WE GOT TRIFLE! YOUR FAVOURITE!"

Um, we? Have you moved?

Wait a minute. Dear god, please say you haven't moved

Regional accents are pretty common on the news here - the Beeb certainly seems to have an active policy to prove it covers all areas of the country appropriately. We hear a lot of Ulster I think - not exactly dulcet tones

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 7263
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:02:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Solomon Kane (Bassett, 2009)

Purefoy does that reasonably well. I'm not sure how accurate his West Country accent is, but it's certainly a shock to hear something different in this kind of film.

Well, it's not one of the cooler, sexier accents in the world, is it? "Allo there, alroight!" You don't see a lot of people with West Country accents in respected positions of authority, like war correspondents. "Allo there, I'm in Rammalla, and, uh, Yasser Arafat, he won' come out of his compound - COME OUT YASSER - he won't come out! COME OUT YASSER! WE GOT TRIFLE! YOUR FAVOURITE!"

Um, we? Have you moved?

Wait a minute. Dear god, please say you haven't moved

Regional accents are pretty common on the news here - the Beeb certainly seems to have an active policy to prove it covers all areas of the country appropriately. We hear a lot of Ulster I think - not exactly dulcet tones

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4217775114437878358# - Jump to 5:36 on the video.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7264
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:03:53 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Yeah, but they add nothing artistically, they just seem lazy. Now, Wong Kar Wai's jump-cuts in his mid-90s urban duo are obvious homages but they actually add to the mood, which I didn't feel here.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7265
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:06:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

I still don't get the necessity of jump cuts in this other than "look at my crazy editing"

I'm pretty sure it's so Godard could just leave the camera running and then put what he wanted into the film, to save money, etc.

I thought it was because he had to cut it down to a certain length to please the money people or something.

And Breathless > Une femme/Shoot the Piano Player. Clearly.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7266
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:08:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought it was because he had to cut it down to a certain length to please the money people or something.

Clearly you're a tasteless Pig. Clearly.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 7267
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:08:41 PM   
elab49

Damn - for a minute I thought it'd be the rave take on the BBC News theme.

I have seen this at some point, but I clearly didn't remember that bit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 7268
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:09:43 PM   
elab49

Also - I will now proceed to an afternoon's work while listening to Bill Bailey on tour. Ta

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7269
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:09:48 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I remember it being some sort of praticality/logistics issue.

But Shoot the Pianist > Breathless > Une femme.

Post #: 7270
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:12:29 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Damn - for a minute I thought it'd be the rave take on the BBC News theme.

I have seen this at some point, but I clearly didn't remember that bit.

He did it again at the show I went to last month, which was awesome but disappointing at the same time. Especially considering he replaced Yasser with Osama and seemed to hope the audience wouldn't really notice.

quote:

You're a regular at TLC - you don't get to question my taste.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 12/7/2010 1:13:48 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7271
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:14:44 PM   
elab49

Did he do the laminated book of dreams from Argos for your audience or is there a local equivalent?

quote:

Post #: 7272
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:16:32 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Did he do the laminated book of dreams from Argos for your audience or is there a local equivalent?

Nah. That was the only bit I recognised, but a friend of mine who was there and is more familiar with Bailey's work said there were other little bits.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7273
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:29:12 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

quote:

You're a regular at TLC - you don't get to question my taste.
At least they don't love City of God at TLC

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 7274
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:31:19 PM   
elab49

You mean they have a consensus view on films? They have 'their' view?

How tragic

quote:

Post #: 7275
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:36:04 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

No, I'm sure there are a few oddballs who like that film, but most don't, fortunately.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7276
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:38:27 PM   
elab49

Did you poll them before you signed up, then?

quote:

Post #: 7277
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:45:59 PM   
rawlinson

You do have to be slightly scared of a forum where Miles is given mod duties of any form. It's like if you lot voted in Squid here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7278
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:46:01 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7279
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:48:30 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LOLNO.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7280
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:52:25 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LOLNO.
Agreed, how could he say that Breathless is better than Une femme? Shameful.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7281
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:54:21 PM   
Rhubarb

LOL.

Though Une Femme is amazing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 7282
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 1:59:30 PM   
Piles

quote:

LOL.

Though Une Femme is amazing.

Nice to see someone willing to give true insight into their favourite film .

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7283
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:04:31 PM   
Rhubarb

Trying to explain my love for Breathless would be like trying to explain my love for Ben and Jerry's, Ice Blasts, Gammon Hawaii, or to a lesser extent, my girlfriend.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7284
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:06:06 PM   
elab49

quote:

Trying to explain my love for Breathless would be like trying to explain my love for Ben and Jerry's, Ice Blasts, Gammon Hawaii, or to a lesser extent, my girlfriend.

Wild guess - she doesn't read the Board?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7285
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:06:16 PM   
Piles

quote:

They're all a bit tasty?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7286
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:07:31 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

Wild guess - she doesn't read the Board?

Hopefully not.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7287
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:16:25 PM   
elab49

Happy Birthday to Deviation from everyone at Lists and Top 10s.

Well, nearly everyone Although I'm sure the sacrifice is willingly accepted.

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7288
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:22:31 PM   
rawlinson

He's a good friend to Dev'. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7289
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 12/7/2010 2:27:02 PM   
Deviation

This is beautiful and I accept this sacrifice done in my honor. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7290
Page:   <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI