Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 6:03:11 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

June (29)

FOUR
Adams Æbler/ Adam's Apples Denmark (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2005) {Jun}
Blinkende lygter/ Flickering Lights Denmark (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2000) {Jun}

I love both of them, although I'm not sure I'd have Flickering Lights in the same category as Adam's Apples. Have you seen the one in the middle, Green Butchers? Saddest viewing of last month was seeing Nikolaj Lie Kaas wasting his time in Angels and Demons.

Yeah last month both Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Mads Mikkelsen are becoming big favourite's of mine as well as Anders Thomas Jensen. Also watched the "a bit mad" AT Jensen scripted, NL Kaas starring At Worlds End.

Thankfully i don't think i'll ever be bored enough to watch Angels and Demons

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6961
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 7:18:08 PM   
Piles

Trying to catch up after falling muchos behind, so here's the first batch of tonight, including two Brown-Garbo collabs!

#118. A Woman of Affairs (1928, Clarence Brown, USA)
Ever since she was a very, very young girl, Diana (Brown's favourite leading lady Greta Garbo) wanted to marry Neville 'Nevs' Holderness (John Gilbert). However, Nevs' father Morton (Hobart Bosworth) dislikes the entire Merrick family, and so he arranges for Nev to be sent away to Paris where he can get a job for three years. This leaves the way for David (Johnny Mack Brown) to marry Diana himself, only to be killed in a criminal act. Seems like the happy couple will get it together, right? Wrong innit. Nevs falls for the beautiful but quiet Constance (Dorothy Sebastian), and heir relationship is put on hold again. Clarence Brown is quickly becoming one of my very favourite silent directors, mainly for his ability to mould believable and enjoyable melodrama from stories that – more often than not – are propelled along to quite obvious conclusions. The positives here are the usual ones for Clarence Brown films (I wrote the review below before this one :P), mainly the fine performances of the leading actress (usually Garbo actually) and his own superb direction. Here, though, I also appreciated his attempt to take a simple basic story and flesh it out into a sprawling epic, and although I'm not quite sure it's always successful (it does dart about a little bit), the attempt is a brave and positive one. Another inconsistency that both drags the film down and holds it up is that, actually, Diana is far less likeable than Constance, and although the general point of the film is that true love is what really matters, it's hard to get behind this message when the girl we are to cheer for is a bitch and the one who will be left behind is lovely. Still, though, it's yet another brave move, and I think "A Woman of Affairs” is as brave as it is anything else, and although he's not always successful, Brown certainly gives it his all. 4/5.

#125. Flesh and the Devil (1926, Clarence Brown, USA)
"Flesh and the Devil” is a good old fashioned 1926 melodrama directed by Clarence Brown, and starring his very favourite leading lady Greta Garbo. Garbo plays Felicitas, a woman who is married at the films onset but falls desperately, head over heels in love with Leo von Harden (John Gilbert). Harden, along with his very best friend Ulrich von Eltz (Lars Hanson), has recently been released from the German army for pulling a sicky and tricking their commanding officer, and so they return home to find love. Trouble is, just as von Harden and Felicitas find happiness, he is dispatched into Africa for five years, leaving the way for Ulrich to fall in love with – and marry – Felicitas himself. Oh no! The best thing about "Flesh and the Devil” is how over the top and melodramatic it is, and despite the fact that the story is very obviously straight forward and clichéd, the performances of the actors, the score, and Brown's contribution as a director are all quite sublime. Let's start with the performances, with the most notable and praiseworthy being that of the leading lady, Greta Garbo. A superstar of both silents and sound films, Garbo is briskly becoming one of my very favourite actresses, and this performance is unsurprisingly confident, emotional, and evocative. She kind of puts Gilbert and Hanson in the shade when they are on with her, which is more of a testament to her power than their weaknesses, and when she is off-screen her two supporting actors are more than able to keep the thing together. Brown is also a star behind the camera, with the two main focal points of the film being the duels which almost bookend it, one towards the start and one towards the end. One is a supreme example of Brown's visuals, with the two men silhouetted against a white background, whilst the other is an example of his power to evoke emotion. If it wasn't for the straight forward, obvious nature of the central storyline, this would be up there with "The Eagle” as my favourite Brown film. 4/5.

#139. Nosferatu (1922, FW Murnau, Germany)
Count Orlok (Max Schrek) is interested in a new property that has just become available in Transylvania. He is also a vampire. Real estate agent Hutter (Gustav von Wangenheim) goes to meet Orlok to bring him to the town, but – when Orlok arrives – he brings with him the plague, and an obsessive desire for Hutter's wife, Ellen (Greta Schroder). I've now seen Murnau's 1922 take on the silent and Werner Herzog's 1979 remake twice, and I'm pretty confident in my decision that the remake – in this case – is better than the original. Probably a little bit of a controversial opinion, but Herzog's "Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht” is a much more well rounded, hypnotic, and breathtakingly beautiful film, three things that Murnau's film – when the inevitable or unfortunate comparison is made – falls a little bit short on. I also think that Herzog's film is much better paced, despite it being a hell of a lot slower. Murnau's "Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens” is quicker and shorter, but this decision means it lacks a lot of the suspense and tension of Herzog's update. That's not to say Murnau's film is bad – it's quite the opposite. Max Schrek's performance as the titular count is magnificent in all its physical, imposing glory, and the look of the film – drawing from what have now become gothic 'conventions' or clichés – is breathtaking in its avant-garde, gothic tones. The music, which is made up of organ, church-like sounds, fits in perfectly with the mood of the piece, and Wangenheim is fine in his role as the real estate agent Hutter – even if he falls short in comparisons to the brilliant Bruno Ganz. In fact, the reason I think more negatively than most about "Nosferatu” comes down to exactly that; comparisons. Whether that be with Herzog's re-make, or Murnau's own later 1927 masterpiece. 3/5.

#212. Starcrash (1978, Luigi Cozzi, Italy/USA)
Reviewed in my Italian cinema thread. LINKAGE. 1/5.

#227. Scrub Me Mama With a Boogie Beat (1941, Walter Lantz, USA)
It's hard to discuss "Scrub Me Mama With a Boogie Beat” without coming back to the obvious fact that it's a horribly racist film that stereotypes African Americans as lazy, overweight slackers who need the presence of a white (well, incredibly light) woman to get them going. I'll try my best not to go back to this racism, even though it's an obvious factor in my decision to rank it as one of the very worst films I've seen this year (shorts or otherwise). The problem is, it's terrible in almost every other region too. The song (which takes up the entirety of the second half of the film) is uninspired, the animation is actually quite clunky, and Lantz' direction is so cavalier and forgettable that – if it wasn't for the racism – I don't think I'd remember this film at all a couple of weeks after I'd seen it. It's also racist. Really, really, really racist. 1/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 1/7/2010 7:19:27 PM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 6962
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 7:18:13 PM   
elab49

I'd recommend the In China They Eat Dogs and Old Men in New Cars, although you can see why he decided to start directing himself. I like Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself as well.

If you like Jensen's humour you might want to try the Austrian Hader series too - Silentium et al.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 6963
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 9:25:12 PM   
TRM

June - Features

22. Rashomon
(Akira Kurosawa, 1950, Japan)
A Canterbury tale (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1944, UK)
29. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
(Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones, 1975, UK)
The big sleep (Howard Hawks, 1946, USA)
Kes (Ken Loach, 1970, UK)
2001: A space odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968, UK/USA)
Cleo 5 to 7 (Agnes Varda, France/Italy, 1962)
Europa Europa (Agnieszka Holland, 1990, Germany/France/Poland)
Night train to Munich (Carol Reed, 1940, UK)
The eagle (Clarence Brown, 1925, USA)
The spiral staircase (Robert Siodmak, 1945, USA)
Guess who's coming to dinner (Stanley Kramer, 1967, USA)
This is England (Shane Meadows, UK, 2006)
The fallen idol (Carol Reed, 1948, UK)
Chocolat (Lasse Hallstrom, UK/USA, 2000)
The brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2008, USA)
Accidental hero (Stephen Frears, 1992, USA)
Someone's watching me (John Carpenter, 1978, USA)
Garden state (Zach Braff, 2004, USA)
176. Prince of Persia: The sands of time
(Mike Newell, 2010, USA)
Beyond the clouds (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1995, France/Germany/Italy)
24 City (Zhang Ke Jia, 2008, China/Hong Kong/Japan)
The killer inside me (Michael Winterbottom, 2010, USA)

shorts

Neighbors (Buster Keaton & Edward F. Cline, 1920, USA, 18mins)
The boat (Buster Keaton & Edward F. Cline, 1921, USA, 20mins)
Carrotblanca (Douglas McCarthy, 1995, USA, 8mins)
I don't want to be a man (Ernst Lubitsch, 1918, Germany)
Getting stronger every day (Miranda July, 2001, USA, 6mins)
Sur un air de Charleston (Jean Renoir, 1927, France, 17mins)

Easily my worst month of the year in volume, but nothing in my bottom 50 in the features, which is pretty good I have left out the few hof films I have seen just so elab doesnt moan

And that leaves the top of my directors list looking like this:

Alice Guy (19) - The fisherman at the stream, Bathing in a stream, Serpentine dance by Mme. Bob Walter, The turn-of-the-century blind man, At the hypnotist's, The burglars, Disappearing act, Surprise attack on a house at daybreak, At the club, Wonderful absinthe, Avenue de l'opera, Automatic hat-maker and sausage-maker, At the photographer's, Dance of the seasons: Winter snow dance, The landlady, Turn-of-the-century surgery, Pierrette's escapades, At the floral ball, The cabbage patch fairy

Louis Lumiere (9) - Arrival of a train at La Ciotat, Employees leaving the Lumiere factory, Bataille de neige, Demolition d'un murL'arroseur arrose, Depart de Jerusalem en chemin de fer, Neuville-sur-saone: Debarquement du congres des photographes a Lyon, Partie de cartes, Barque sortant du port, Repas de bebe

Roman Polanski (8) - Murder, Teeth full smile, Break up the dance, 2 men and a wardrobe, When angels fall, the lamp, mammals, The fat man and the thin man

Robert W. Paul (6) - Come along do!, The derby, The countryman and the cinematograph, A chess dispute, Extraordinary cab accident, Buy your own cherries

Konstantin Bronzit (5) - Tuk-tuk, Switchcraft, Farewell, Die hard, Memento mori

Ivan Maximov (5) - The additional capabilities of the snout, 5/4, Bolero, The perfect hole
, Slow bistro
Wladyslaw Starewicz (5) - The cameraman's revenge, The insects Christmas, The frogs who wanted a king, The city rat and the country rat, Winter carousel

John Carpenter (4) - Assault on precinct 13, Village of the damned
, Someone's watching me, Halloween
Edward F. Cline (4) - One week, Cops, Neighbors, The boat
Terence Davies (4) - Children, Madonna and child, Death and transfiguration, Of time and the city
Alfred Hitchcock (4) - Suspicion, The lodger, Psycho, Dial M for murder
Peter Jackson (4) - The lovely bones, Fellowship of the ring, Two towers, Return of the king
Buster Keaton (4) - One week, Cops, Neighbors, The boat
Louis Aime Augustin Le Prince (4) - Roundhay garden scene, Traffic crossing Leeds bridge, Accordion player, Man walking around a corner

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 6964
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 9:26:19 PM   
TRM

Pretty jealous about you seeing those Clarence Brown films Piles! Whats next on the list?

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 6965
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 9:30:37 PM   
DCMaximo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

The Bride Came C.O.D. (William Keighley, 1941) was released by Warner Bros the same year as Torrid Zone and for 30 minutes delivers the same bruising characterisations and lightning-paced banter. Then James Cagney's plane - carrying cargo Bette Davis - crash lands and soon afterwards the plotting goes the same way, getting caught up in the desert with ghost town hotelier Harry Davenport, whose character should surely have been sad and wise, rather than sporadically malevolent. The story picks up again before the end, with a fun last 20, but remains hampered by that draggy mid-section, light in ideas. Still a (3) though.

I think 3 is a pretty fair review for this, fun as it is, though it touches a higher rating for me every time Eugene Pallette turns up and steals the film from the leads

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 6966
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/7/2010 9:55:40 PM   
matty_b

North Country (Niki Caro)

With quite a bit of Erin Brockovich and a pinch from Norma Rae, Caro's film tells the story of Josie Ames (Charlize Theron), a woman fleeing from an abusive relationship in 1989 who takes the only job she can find, working in a local mine. However, it's an intensely male-dominated workplace who soon start making her's and her fellow female co-worker's lives hell - something she's not prepared to stand for. Theron is quite good in the central role, with the script providing her with all manner of showy moments and emotional speeches to grab herself an Oscar nomination, but there's something a little off about how how the sexy, glamorous former model is given the role of the spirited woman determined not to back down, while the rest of the co-workers are drab and as unglamorous as possible, except for Michelle Monaghan in a nothing role. The central story is quite interesting, with Woody Harrelson giving good support as the lawyer that takes Josie's case on, but Caro has a problem getting the film tonally right. Practically every male in the workplace is seen as a slavering twat and while that may be somewhere near the truth, it robs the film of every little shade of grey it should perhaps have. Likewise, the grandstanding emotional moments rarely feel real - SPOILER Josie's co-worker, Glory (Frances McDormand) is revealed to be gradually dying of Lou Gehrig's Disease and at the climatic trial, where Josie is in need of three other women to stand up and confirm the claims she's taken the company to court for but stands alone, finally makes a move to stand alongside her, despite being almost totally crippled by interupting the court proceedings - the fact that this information would have come in mighty handy before the start of day is ludicrously overlooked cos it's just not dramatic enough. It's undeniably powerful at times, but so shamelessly manipulative at times, you'll need a shower afterwards. (7/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 6967
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 6:55:37 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Pretty jealous about you seeing those Clarence Brown films Piles! Whats next on the list?

The Goose Woman, I think, which is a non-Garbo Brown film. You managed to see any more yet?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 6968
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 8:47:37 AM   
MOTH

Notes on a Scandal (Richard Eyre, 2006)
Two powerhouse performances from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett drive along a talky, but gripping thriller, layered with all sorts of interesting emotional, sexual and class issues. Perhaps the schoolboy is rather too assured to be believable (or perhaps I'm a little naive about such things), but this is fine, compulsive viewing (8/10) 

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 6969
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 6:50:44 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

The Goose Woman, I think, which is a non-Garbo Brown film. You managed to see any more yet?

No just The Eagle and Anna Karenina so far for me. I was looking at watching Come live with me, Flesh and the devil and Anna Christie before the deadline in the director poll.

Just looked up the goose woman on imdb. It sounds pretty good. Where did you find it?

< Message edited by TRM -- 2/7/2010 6:56:34 PM >

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 6970
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 8:09:39 PM   
paul_ie86

82. Behind The Planet of The Apes (Ken Burns, 1998)
Good documentary about the franchise.

91. Battle For The Planet of The Apes (J. Lee Thompson, 1973)
Weakest of the five original Ape films, but ok nonetheless

113. Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton, 2001)
WHY??????????????????????????????????

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 6971
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 9:27:29 PM   
Rhubarb

If I ever meet Tim Burton, i shall fall to my knees and pound the ground while saying YOU MANIAC YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU. OH GOD DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 6972
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 11:27:44 PM   
swordsandsandals

I Love You Man

Paul Rudd = good. Jason Segel = bad.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 6973
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/7/2010 11:43:22 PM   
Epiphany Demon

JUNE!

4/5
  1. The Princess And The Frog (Ron Clements/John Musker, 2009, USA) Jun
  2. Chicago (Rob Marshall, 2002, GER/USA) Jun *

3/5
  3. Hairspray (Adam Shankman, 2007, UK/USA) Jun *

2.5/5
  4. Death At A Funeral (Neil LaBute, 2010, USA) Jun
  5. Dirty Dancing (Emile Ardolino, 1987, USA) Jun

2/5
  6. Wild Child (Nick Moore, 2008, FRA/UK/USA) Jun
  7. Meet The Fockers (Jay Roach, 2004, USA) Jun *
  8. You, Me And Dupree (Anthony Russo/Joe Russo, 2006, USA) Jun

And July so far:

76. Get Him To The Greek (Nicholas Stoller, 2010, USA) Jul - 3/5

A bit better than it's semi-prequel, Hill and Diddy are good while Brand isn't as good playing himself as he is being himself. Would have been a 2.5 if it wasn't for the werewolf line.

< Message edited by Epiphany Demon -- 3/7/2010 12:11:51 AM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 6974
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 12:09:38 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I Love You Man

Paul Rudd doesn't really come out smelling of roses, in fairness

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6975
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 12:11:51 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

I Love You Man

No, it's not a great film. It's just that I know he is better than in this. Segel, however, seemed to be a total humour, character and charisma vacuum.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 6976
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 12:13:01 AM   
Gram123

050) Shadowless Sword  (Kim Young-jun, South Korea, 2005, DVD) - 5.5
This film, from the director of Bichunmoo, has a fairly familiar and predictable plot - a reluctant fella from a small town is dragged to meet his destiny as king. Throughout the journey, various khol-eyed bad guys with big hair keep attacking, which, along with his chaperone, an attractive and highly skilled swordswoman, slowly convinces him to buck up and accept his role.

The main problem I found with this film is that it wants to be a jack of all trades and is consequently master of none - not an uncommon thing in East Asian films by any means. It's basically a Korean wuxia film, with action, melodrama, flashes of comedy and romance. The director had clearly seen several then-recent blockbusters, and tried to reproduce various elements. There's House of Flying Daggers  (fighting women using their elaborate billowing clothing as a weapon), Night Watch or possibly video games like Devil May Cry (people sort of stepping into a dark alternate reality for a quick scrap) and, oddly enough, Saving Private Ryan (though it's hundreds of throwing knives slicing through the water toward our heroes, rather than machine gun bullets). Not to mention the fact that most of the cast have a bit of Jack Sparrow about them.
The fight scenes look unrealistic, of course, this being wuxia-esque, but the Koreans don't quite have the skill and years of experience that their HK/Chinese counterparts have. The swordplay feels too stagey and not dangerous enough. The wire-work is too.... wiry.

It's entertaining enough, I suppose, but the flaws are too numerous, and in the wake of Crouching Tiger, HOFD and Hero, it feels a little amateurish.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 6977
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 12:15:34 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

I Love You Man

No, it's not a great film. It's just that I know he is better than in this. Segel, however, seemed to be a total humour, character and charisma vacuum.

Segel is better in How I Met Your Mother, I prefer him to Neil Patrick Harris in it. Although, I'm not really the biggest fan of the show.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 3/7/2010 12:16:12 AM >

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6978
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 4:02:55 AM   
impqueen

015. Up (Docter, 2009) USA -  It made me laugh out loud, it made me cry again, I think I really do love this film the more I watch it.

034. American Beauty (Mendes, 1999) USA - First viewing for quite some time, Spacey is brilliant, Bening is superb and it is a very funny film and expertly directed.

130. Goal! The Dream Begins (Cannon, 2005) UK/USA (First View) - All I could think was Newcastle, really?

< Message edited by impqueen -- 3/7/2010 4:14:12 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 6979
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 10:07:04 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

130. Goal! The Dream Begins (Cannon, 2005) UK/USA (First View) - All I could think was Newcastle, really?

Just because you're out of reach for another 6 months

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 6980
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 12:50:02 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Features:

42. La haine [Hatred] (1995, Kassovitz)
REVIEW HERE

68. Gilda (1946, C. Vidor)
***spoilers***
Interesting. Hayworth runs away with the film, of course, she's perfect at both playing the seductress and the hurt woman, and has one of the best character entrances ever. The other actors are also very solid. The narration is refreshingly plain for a noir film, and it's not clear why the story is being narrated (unlike in classics like Out of the Past and Double Indemnity), which actually makes it seem more natural. Unlike some of the noirs famous today, this is an A-list film, and it shows two-fold: in the high production values, which make for a decent-looking film, and the ending, which achieved the impossible, making a happy noir ending work. Of course, how happy it exactly is is questionable, since after all the film is not about monopolies or murders, but just a relationship between a man, a woman, and another man (curious homosexual undertones abound in the first half). In many ways a borderline noir, and uneven, but works well overall. 8
Now I wonder whether this Vidor made any other good films. Actually, this is my first Hayworth as well, but I have a vague idea of where to go next there.

80. The Palm Beach Story (1942, P. Sturges)
REVIEW HERE

94. Titicut Follies (1967, Wiseman)
Wow. Certainly something. At times, it seems too perfect not to be staged, but it's also too far out not to be real. I don't think Wiseman is necessarily trying to make a point about the oppression but just lets the viewer experience it as if he was there, which makes the whole thing much more potent. Pretty sure it's not something I'd like to see again, but can't wait to see more Wiseman. And although at first I was wary of his latter, looong works, judging by this (which was certainly slow for a short film, but that's irrelevant), the more immersion, the better. 8

Shorts:

20. Veter vdol berega [Wing Along the Coast] (2004, Maksimov) {7 mins}
Wonderful stuff from Maksimov. A film without dialogue (but great music) which engages solely through its surreal, funny, and heartwarming imagery. 9

25. Cashback (2004, Ellis) {18 mins}
Great use of music, some cool humour, and an interesting atmosphere. The final part is actually not as good as what came before, but certainly want to see the feature now. 8

43. Book Revue (1946, Clampett) {7 mins}
Sorry, Clampett, but sometimes I even think you're weaker than Freleng. Cool concept that goes absolutely nowhere. Even more overrated than The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (how both placed in Beck's top 50 is beyond me). Still, that's just the expectations, it's decent. 7

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 3/7/2010 12:51:24 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6981
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 1:25:58 PM   
matty_b

Me and Orson Welles (Richard Linklater)

Shamefully, my knowledge of Orson Welles comes more from the numerous books and articles I've read on him, rather than his own back catalogue, of which I've seen only a smattering. Despite this, I know exactly how he looks and sounds, how he behaves and how he whipped everyone who worked with him into shape with a mixture of charisma and tyrannical bullying all in the name of producing spectacular artistic achievements. And Christian McKay is utterly magnificent in the titular role. It's not just a case of impersonating Welles - which he does effortlessly - it's about making Welles human and a person, which he also does effortlessly. The trickiest thing about Welles is suggesting his charisma and genius - after all, are they things you can fake if you yourself have never felt them? - yet McKay does this from the word go. It's one of the greatest performances in the last few years. Unfortunately, there's a film around him and it's never as good. Zac Efron is a struggling young actor who joins his legendary production of Julius Caesar and falls for Claire Dane's fellow actress while gazing up at Welles in a mixture of both awe and horror. Efron is actually fine in the role and Linklater nails a lovely sense of period, but the romantic sub-plot is never particularly interesting. It also suffers from the problem that any film mixing fact with fiction faces - we know what is truth, so why should we care about the blatant fiction? It's an odd mixture and approach for the film and is what stops the film from being truly exceptional - yet McKay's performance really is that good, it's worth two marks all on its own. (8/10)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 6982
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 8:41:07 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007
94. Titicut Follies (1967, Wiseman)
Wow. Certainly something. At times, it seems too perfect not to be staged, but it's also too far out not to be real. I don't think Wiseman is necessarily trying to make a point about the oppression but just lets the viewer experience it as if he was there, which makes the whole thing much more potent. Pretty sure it's not something I'd like to see again, but can't wait to see more Wiseman. And although at first I was wary of his latter, looong works, judging by this (which was certainly slow for a short film, but that's irrelevant), the more immersion, the better. 8

Where'd you watch this, Miles, YouTube?
Mrs123 paid a fairly substantial sum for this and another similar(ish) doc called The Silent Minority on DVD.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 6983
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 9:45:04 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Nope, I had to acquire it from my aunt (you know what I really mean, right?). What did your wife think of it?
Also, seek out Warrendale, it is very similar apparently.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 6984
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 10:03:55 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Nope, I had to acquire it from my aunt (you know what I really mean, right?). What did your wife think of it?
Also, seek out Warrendale, it is very similar apparently.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 6985
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 10:05:50 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I wouldn't do that, but I recall someone on here actually thinking my aunt gets me movies, so...

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 6986
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 10:56:31 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

FILMS WATCHED IN JUNE 2010

Features:

1. Rear Window (1954, Hitchcock) RW 10 imdb review

2. L’eclisse [The Eclipse] (1962, Antonioni) 9 imdb review

3. La haine [Hatred] (1995, Kassovitz) 8 imdb review

4. Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs] (2002, Lau/Mak) 8 imdb review

5. Gilda (1946, C. Vidor) 8 imdb review

6. Coffee and Cigarettes (2003, Jarmusch) 8 imdb review

7. Breezy (1973, Eastwood) 8 imdb review

8. Il gatto a nove code [The Cat O’Nine Tails] (1971, Argento) 8 imdb review

9. Dazed and Confused (1993, Linklater) 8 imdb review

10. Gongdong gyeongbi guyeok JSA [Joint Security Area] (2000, Park) 8 imdb review

11. Titicut Follies (1967, Wiseman) 8 imdb review

12. Bigger Than Life (1956, N. Ray) 7 imdb review

13. Heavenly Creatures (1994, Jackson) 7 imdb review

14. Scarface (1932, Hawks) 7 imdb review

15. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953, Hawks) 7 imdb review

16. La strada [The Road] (1954, Fellini) 6 imdb review

Shorts:

1. Plastic Bag (2009, Bahrani) {18 mins} 9 imdb review
2. A Matter of Loaf and Death (2008, Park) {29 mins} 9 imdb review
3. The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon (2008, Gale) {10 mins} 9 imdb review
4. Veter vdol berega [Wing Along the Coast] (2004, Maksimov) {7 mins} 9 imdb review
5. Cashback (2004, Ellis) {18 mins} 8 imdb review
6. The Cat Piano (2009, Gibson/White) {8 mins} 8 imdb review
7. The Ducksters (1950, Jones) {7 mins} 8 imdb review
8. Logorama (2009, Alaux/de Crécy/Houplain) {16 mins} 8 imdb review
9. Book Revue (1946, Clampett) {7 mins} 7 imdb review
10. La dama y la muerte [The Lady and the Reaper] (2009, Gracia) {8 mins} 6 imdb review
11. French Roast (2008, Jaubert) {8 mins} 6 imdb review
12. Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty (2008, Phelan) {6 mins} 4 imdb review

See code, ratings, and a brief explanation on shorts in the initial post.

Stats:
Films seen by decade (+shorts)
20s: 0 (+0)
30s: 1 (+0)
40s: 1 (+1)
50s: 4 (+1)
60s: 2 (+0)
70s: 2 (+0)
80s: 0 (+0)
90s: 3 (+0)
00s: 3 (+10)
10s: 0 (+0)

Average rating for features: 7.8
Average rating for shorts: 7.7
Average rating for cinema viewing: N/A
Average rating for re-watches: 10

Directors with more than one feature:
Howard Hawks - 2

Directors with one feature:
Alfred Hitchcock, Michelangelo Antonioni, Mathieu Kassovitz, Lau Wai-keung, Alan Mak, Charles Vidor, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood, Dario Argento, Richard Linklater, Park Chan-wook, Frederick Wiseman, Nicholas Ray, Peter Jackson, Federico Fellini

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 6987
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 10:58:21 PM   
rawlinson

Can someone change Miles's title to TLC's Bitch, please? 

Post #: 6988
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 11:09:55 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

What? Since when is posting images of films a pure TLC thing? Besides, I've been doing it since January, so your complaints are about 6 months too late.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6989
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 3/7/2010 11:19:12 PM   
rawlinson

They're in the TLC style, as well you know.  Face it Miles, TLC is to you what Morrissey is to Jayb and tormenting PA is to Dev'. It's your greatest inspiration. 

Post #: 6990
Page:   <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI