Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  226 227 [228] 229 230   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 10:10:00 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

The trouble is I happen to be right.

Be honest. It isn't likely, is it

It turns out Riverworld is as problematic as I recall it being. Although I understand the 2010 rewrite has made rather more pointless changes.

Prophecy it is for tonight I think.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6811
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 10:10:20 PM   
rawlinson

Me being awesome and always right.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6812
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 10:19:52 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6813
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 10:20:52 PM   
swordsandsandals

Enjoy the Prophecy Elab, and let me know why you like it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 6814
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 10:31:05 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

He's nodding in agreement.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 6815
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:08:37 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Seem to be having a bit of a 50s marathon.

2. Rear Window (1954, Hitchcock)
Yeah, the re-watch confirms this as one of my favourites. Just so brilliantly constructed. Healthy dose of humour, fantastic suspense, great, great performances (Kelly is grace on screen (sorry), Stewart is just as good as in Vertigo, and Ritter is a goddess), fantastic script (and I didn't notice before that it was pretty far out for its time), and pitch-perfect direction, given that all we really see is a guy stuck in apartment. The only two scenes which are not perfect are the dog scene (it works but it shouldn't) and the climactic fight (and the flashes of red before that, but it's a minor thing that can be forgiven). We're all peeping toms, and when I'm peeping at one of the most beautiful actresses ever in one of the most well paced films ever, I've no shame in being one. 10

103. Bigger Than Life (1956, N. Ray)
***spoilers***
Sorry. Mason is amazing, the cinematography/lighting awesome, and the script at its best reaches brilliance, but the kid is pretty awful, the ending a cop-out and the score intrusive. The melodrama can be partially forgiven as the drug is meant to bring out the hidden emotions and expose the suburbia (and it certainly succeeds better at that than American Beauty, despite the latter also having a fantastic lead performance), but once you get over the shock of the guy wanting to kill his family, it's a weak film. If more of it was like the school scene where Mason is a brilliant psychopath, I'd love it, but as it stands it just didn't do much for me. My first Ray was better than this, certainly, so I'm thinking of where to go next. 7

124. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953, Hawks)
My 2nd Hawks this month, 4th overall, and he just isn't a director for me. The musical numbers are alright, I guess, and Russell and the two male leads are decent, but what we have here is a mostly boring (in the middle I paused to watch the World Cup), slightly xenophobic, and utterly misogynistic film. Monroe isn't much of an actress but deserves credit for making a matchmaker whore marginally likeable through her charm alone, but in reality I still didn't give a fuck about her character and the repeated use of the same fucking song. 7-

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6816
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:11:38 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

124. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953, Hawks)
utterly misogynistic

a matchmaker whore

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 6817
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:13:02 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Precisely. I mean, look at Monroe's character, the film just says "oh, well, she uses her 'charm' to get all these diamonds, and getting a rich man is the best thing ever", which is just baffling.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6818
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:14:01 PM   
rawlinson

I mean more your use of language. You condemn the film for being misogynistic and then call a character a whore.  Hypocrite.

Post #: 6819
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:15:32 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I forgot to mention that there was one thing so outrageous I did find it great - the court cabaret.
But Monroe is a total slut in the film, there's no real polite word for that.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6820
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:16:48 PM   
rawlinson

lady of loose virtue.

Post #: 6821
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:19:58 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Where would you recommend me to go next for Ray? I'm thinking Rebel Without a Cause, that looks the best. Or one of his westerns/noirs? My other one was the brilliant In a Lonely Place, BTW.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6822
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:20:31 PM   
rawlinson

Johnny Guitar

Edit - Or

On Dangerous Ground.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 26/6/2010 11:21:08 PM >

Post #: 6823
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:20:42 PM   
elab49

I don't think it is hypcrisy, though - it bluntly describes the character the film creates in a mysogynistic manner. The word 'matchmaker' doesn't quite fit though - phrases like grasping goldigger are more what is needed.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6824
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:21:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't think it is hypcrisy, though - it bluntly describes the character the film creates in a mysogynistic manner. The word 'matchmaker' doesn't quite fit though - phrases like grasping goldigger are more what is needed.

You just hate Marilyn. Marilyn hater. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6825
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:22:46 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I mean the fact that she tries to impose her dubious ideology on the friend as well, doesn't that make her a sort of matchmaker? Golddigger is right though. Oh, I forgot, I did like the little kid, it's a device that has been overused, but he was actually good.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6826
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 26/6/2010 11:24:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

BTW, I love Marilyn in Some Like it Hot, where she's similarly seduced by Curtis who pretends to be rich, but at least there's no "a man being rich is the same as a girl being pretty" line. She's also better in Wilder's Seven Year Itch. Not a good actress anyway, and I don't find her "oh-wow-stunning" attractive, but she really worked in those films but only sort of here.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 6827
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 8:48:39 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

In other news, 2001: A Space Odyssey, at the Royal Festival Hall, with orchestra, and an appearance by Christiane Kubrick. *faints* It. Was. Awesome.

It was indeed amazing. Macca delivering a 3 plus hour set culminating in Helter Skelter and Sgt Pepper (reprise), though, was better.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 6828
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 11:15:47 AM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

No, it's fine. It's just the camera work freaks my branium a bit.

Whaaaaaaat a soft guy.

Hold up, I wasn't scared of it. It just spoilt my enjoyment of it a bit, cos it was too erratic.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 27/6/2010 11:16:06 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 6829
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 11:24:01 AM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

In other news, 2001: A Space Odyssey, at the Royal Festival Hall, with orchestra, and an appearance by Christiane Kubrick. *faints* It. Was. Awesome.

quote:

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 6830
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 1:20:27 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whaaaaaaat a soft guy.

Hold up, I wasn't scared of it. It just spoilt my enjoyment of it a bit, cos it was too erratic.

Who said you were scared? I said you were soft because you're brain can't handle a bit of shakycam and odd editing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 6831
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 1:36:23 PM   
MOTH

Thought i better squeeze in a couple of films to keep my quota up and give me a break from the footy. Unfortunately these were...

Exam (Stuart Hazeldine, 2009)
Starts out well with an intriguing set-up, but, sadly, the reveal is not clever or surprising enough to be satisfying and undermines much of what went before. Think too much about it and it falls apart badly. Disappointing (5/10)

Invictus (Clint Eastwood, 2010)
A rather po-faced affair, which doesn't really work as either a sports drama or as the long awaited Freeman-playing-Mandela project. Setting, accents and recreation of the rugby is perfectly okay, but the context and themes are painted in broad strokes and makes for a rather unsubtle, uninspired show. (5/10)

< Message edited by MOTH -- 27/6/2010 1:37:14 PM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 6832
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 2:37:46 PM   
Pigeon Army

It's been a good week.

08. Les triplettes de Belleville (The Triplets of Belleville) (2003, Chomet, FRN/BEL/CAN/UK) - 4.5/5
Chomet's feature film debut is very, very easy to like. His animation style is at once charming and grotesque and always a wonder to behold, what with its overtly-exaggerated proportions and fluid, inhuman movements (and his emulation of early Disney-era animation in the opening sequence is quite a wonderful - and surprisingly violent - sight). It's also clear that he shares fellow Frenchman Jean-Pierre Jeunet's love of well-honed setpieces, something particularly evident in the musical segments - the 'Triplets of Belleville' reprise is an exquisite piece of diegetic music I could listen to forever, and the piece played in the Belleville restaurant is fantastically put-together. He also shares Jeunet's love of kooky underdog protagonists, and Madame Souza and Bruno are perfectly realised variations on this theme - with her uneven legs, big eyes and penchant for whistling, Souza is as sweet and endearing a character as any I've seen, and you're on her side pretty much immediately and you never leave it throughout. The other characters are also pretty awesome - the Belleville triplets are hilarious in their grotesque physical comedy and musical skills and the mob boss and his cube-shouldered security guards are incredible highlights. Generally, The Triplets of Belleville is an incredibly enchanting and imaginative animation that really pulls out all the stops to deliver a beautiful and entertaining experience.

14. The Interview (1998, Monahan, AUS) - 4.5/5*
After being arrested for an unspecified crime, unemployed man Eddie Rodney Fleming engages in a battle of wits in the police interview room with the canny Det. Sgt. John Steele. The Interview sounds like it's cribbed from Kafka, but Monahan's fantastic psychological thriller is so much more than a retread of The Trial. It's an incredibly tight piece that plays with audience perception and constantly challenges your interpretation of events, the power constantly shifting between the characters, each one holding their own agenda close to their chest. Hugo Weaving gives a career-defining performance as the initially-pathetic man hauled in for a crime he's unaware of, and Tony Martin is every bit his equal as the slimy, determined Det. Sgt. Steele, a man with a tenuous hold on ethics but an unwavering grasp on right and wrong. It's also excellently shot, with an ever-threatening location (a cathedral converted into a police station) providing us with a pitch-perfect atmosphere.

18. The Piano (1993, Campion, NZ/AUS/FRN) - 4.5/5
Review coming soon to my NZ Film thread. Hopefully will have it written up tomorrow.

44. Toy Story (1995, Lasseter, USA) - 4.5/5****
I keep flip-flopping with this film. Watching it on TV last weekend while touching up an essay on Kim Ki-Duk, I was surprised by just how much I was drawn back into it. It's hilarious, brilliantly-animated (Sid's house is perfect in the way it is so normal and yet so bloody perturbing) and just generally an excellently-made film that makes you empathise with toys, allowing you to both capture the wonder of your childhood in a bottle and appreciate everything you wouldn't as a kid. It understands perfectly the world kids create for their toys and allows us to tap into it and enjoy it vicariously, and it's a hell of a lot of fun as a result. If anything, I think the one thing that dragged it down last viewing was the 3D. Maybe. I'm unsure.

79. Ten (2002, Kiarostami, FRN/IRN/USA) - 4/5
My first Kiarostami is his film documenting ten conversations between a divorced-and-remarried woman driving a cab in Iran, and it's a thought-provoking and rather intelligent work that looks at the place of women and men in Iran with an unflinching, and often humourous, eye. Women come and go from the cab and discuss religion, marriage, sex and men with our driver (played with some skill by Mania Akbari), and these conversations, repetitive and oddly revealing as they are - seriously, the passengers essentially use the driver as a free psychiatrist, which is odd given how passive-aggressively judgmental she can be - feel like real attempts by the characters at rationalising a society where women are placed in a subordinate position by virtue of not having a penis. They talk at length justifying their decisions or balancing their ideals out with their lives, and it's oddly fascinating viewing - the camera does make it uncomfortably voyeuristic at points (the ultra-religious woman especially), but it's provocative and engaging all the same. The film's highs and lows both arrive in the driver's conversations with Amin, her on-screen son (played by Amin Maher), an aggressive kid acting out against his mother. While Amin is oddly eloquent for a kid his age, to the point it takes one out of the film, and the scenes between Amin and the driver are often incredibly uncomfortable to watch as he screams about how she's a terrible mother and she pulls an infuriating passive-aggressive act that neither addresses his concerns nor shuts him up (a routine much like that which my mother used to pull on me ), it's nonetheless riveting to watch as they talk at each other, neither really grasping just what exactly is causing the friction in the eyes of each party - Amin sees himself as being used as a pawn in his parents' post-divorce existence and doesn't understand why his mother simply won't let him be with the parent he likes most; the driver can't fathom why Amin would choose his good-for-nothing father over her and doesn't understand why he can't see the sacrifices she makes for him. At the end of the day, it's these scenes that make the film's universality so poignant - the repressive nature of Iranian society amplifies these themes, but the place of women in that society gains relevance to the rest of the world through these exchanges, devoid of geopolitical undertones.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 6833
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 2:59:43 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Having not seen Ten, I can't comment on how well it works, but isn't movies usually a show-don't-tell medium?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whaaaaaaat a soft guy.

Who said you were scared? I said you were soft because you're brain can't handle a bit of shakycam and odd editing.

Tony Starks would like a word with you, tough guy.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 6834
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 3:08:23 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Having not seen Ten, I can't comment on how well it works, but isn't movies usually a show-don't-tell medium?

Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily make Ten a bad film for basing most of the film's message in conversation, though. And Ten is really quite an intelligent and thought-provoking film that addresses a hefty issue without talking down to the audience, using the driver as an auteur avatar or skimping on character development, which Ten does not do. I'm not going to mark it down because it doesn't use a nice camera or bases most of its development in dialogue.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whaaaaaaat a soft guy.

Tony Starks would like a word with you, tough guy.

You're a page late. Jaysus, get with it, Inferno.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 6835
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 3:16:31 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

quote:

Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily make Ten a bad film for basing most of the film's message in conversation, though. And Ten is really quite an intelligent and thought-provoking film that addresses a hefty issue without talking down to the audience, using the driver as an auteur avatar or skimping on character development, which Ten does not do. I'm not going to mark it down because it doesn't use a nice camera or bases most of its development in dialogue.

Maybe so. As said, I haven't seen the film. But why not just write a book instead?

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 6836
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 27/6/2010 3:21:12 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe so. As said, I haven't seen the film. But why not just write a book instead?

Because you can't perform a book.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 6837
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/6/2010 12:09:59 AM   
swordsandsandals

There I was, all busy enjoying The Host which I'd recorded from last night when DAMMIT the recording cut out because my aerial sucks!

I've now put it back on my rental list. I was liking it a lot though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 6838
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/6/2010 12:14:05 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Ten looks terrific(ally dull). And I'm a Rohmer fan, so conversation-based films don't bother me.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6839
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 28/6/2010 12:19:29 AM   
FritzlFan

80. While the Children Sleep (Russell Mulcahy, 2007) - 3/10

Sky3 really are doing a great job with the showings of these awful tv films. Top LADs.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 28/6/2010 12:23:19 AM >

quote:

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 6840
Page:   <<   < prev  226 227 [228] 229 230   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  226 227 [228] 229 230   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI