Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 12:07:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

He's what?

June list

Features

1. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (5th view, 1988, David Zucker) - 5/5
2. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days/4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile (1st view, 2007, Cristian Mungiu) - 4/5*
3. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (1st view, 2007, Sidney Lumet) - 4/5*
4. Michael Clayton 2nd view, 2007, Tony Gilroy) - 4/5
5. Rescue Dawn (1st view, 2007, Werner Herzog) - 4/5*
6. The Savages (1st view, 2007, Tamara Jenkins) - 4/5*
7. The Losers (1st view,, 2010, Sylvain White) - 4/5*
8. American Beauty (2nd view, 1999, Sam Mendes) - 4/5
9. In the Electric Mist (1st view, 2009, Bertrand Tavernier) - 4/5*
10. Defiance (1st view, 2008 Edward Zwick) - 4/5*

11. The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (3rd view, 1991, David Zucker) - 4/5
12. Love Me or Leave Me (1st view, 1955, Charles Vidor) - 4/5*
13. Novocaine (2nd view, 2001, David Atkins) - 4/5
14. Solomon Kane (1st view, 2009, Michael J. Bassett) - 4/5*
15. Kagemusha (1st view, 1980, Akira Kurosawa) - 4.5*
16. Do Not Disturb (1st view, 1965, Ralph Levy) - 4/5*
17. Somers Town (1st view, 2008, Shane Meadows) - 4/5*
18. Johnny English (3rd view, 2003, Peter Howitt) - 3/5
19. Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (2nd view, 1994, Peter Segal) - 3/5
20. The Damned United (1st view, 2009, Tom Hooper) - 3/5*

21. Where The Wild Things Are (1st view, 2009, Spike Jonze) - 3/5*
22. Obsessed (1st view, 2009, Steve Shill) - 3/5*
23. Orphan (1st view, 2009, Jaume Collet-Serra) - 3/5*
24. Dorian Gray (1st view, 2009, Oliver Parker) - 2/5*

Shorts

1. Steamboat Willie (1928, Walt Disney/Ub Iwerks)
2. Bambi Meets Godzilla (1969, Marv Newland)
3. Plane Crazy (1928, Walt Disney/Ub Iwerks)
4. This Way Up (2008, Alan Smith/Adam Foulkes)
5. Little Red Riding Hood (1922, Walt Disney)
6. Borderline (2006, Alex Chandon)
7. Scrub Me Mama with a Boogie Beat (1941, Walter Lanz)

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/7/2010 5:05:17 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 5581
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 12:27:04 PM   
elab49

I believe it is a way that modern youth out their love for something - he also 'hearts' the great Shalhoub.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5582
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 12:31:58 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Ahhhh. I thought he was saying he was less than 3. I didn't pick up on the fact there was a picture.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5583
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 12:38:00 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Better off Dead and One Crazy Summer are big dumb 80s comedies, but with a really subversive streak to them. So there's a chance I rate them higher because I grew up with them. Actually I think The Grifters might be top. No Jack Black to annoy in that one.

Look at him, pretending he is young enough to have grown up in the 80s!

Heh, rawlinson's old, it's only natural that he's always compensating for something. He's usually compensating for his age-induced impotence through his fanning of The Devil in Miss Jones, though, so this is an interesting shift.

26. Chugyeogja (The Chaser) (2008, Na, SKR) - 4.5/5
In The Chaser, our protagonist, Joong-ho, is an ex-cop whose corruption got him kicked out of the force and onto the streets, where he makes a living as a cash-strapped pimp. When his girls start going missing, he puts two and two together and notices that the phone numbers of the clients match up with the final jobs the girls went on before their disappearances. Having just sent another girl out with him, he tells her to txt him the man's address, and he goes out looking for the man he suspects is selling his girls. Director Ha Nong-jin doesn't fuck around with this film, and it is for all intents and purposes one of the most white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat thrillers I've ever seen. His invigorating editing, lively framing, grimy aesthetic and judicious use of music allow the film a hard-edged, brutal tone that seems perfectly coupled with the material. Meanwhile, Kim Yun-seok (the awesome bad guy in Woochi) gives a stunning performance as hard-bitten Joong-ho, a man whose bitterness and desperation bring out the worst in him. As he slowly learns compassion for his missing worker girl, Mi-jin, by carting around her querying daughter (a nod to Rififi?) and coming to blows with her alleged killer (not a spoiler), Kim captures all the emotions necessary and is generally a riveting presence, his abrasiveness and his slow humanisation visibly clashing. The script, too, is excellent - with snappy dialogue (the exchange in the police van on the way back from the worksite is perfect) and excellent pacing, it is a well-written film superbly brought to life by Ha's kinetic and vicious direction, even if it does occasionally give in to genre cliche (the motiveless, enigmatic villain especially). The Chaser is undeniably fantastic and worth every pulse-pounding second of its running time.

157. Freeze Me (2000, Ishii, JPN) - 1.5/5
After watching it in a lecture, I had a talk with a tutorial who appreciated the film. She related to me her reading of the film, an attack as it was on the patriarchy inherent in Japanese society - the men holding all the power and the woman shamed into not reporting her rape. This is probably so, and Freeze Me nets some points for this brave, if not well-conveyed, allegory. However, I left Freeze Me frustrated. I was angered by the film, and not for the reasons it wanted me to be angered. Histrionic acting, ostentatious cinematography, obvious foreshadowing, stupidly overdone violence, ridiculously inconsistent characterisation (the lead character essentially displays the most bizarre victim mentality ever) and meandering narrative aside, there are at least two two problems with the film deserving of bile. The first is Ishii's (over)use of the naked body of our 'heroine', Chihiro (played with a lack of subtlety by Harumi Inoue). He may well be offering a commentary on viewers and how we are all the rapists, I don't know, but too often it comes off as crass and objectionable, undermining any point he's trying to make by attempting to ham-handedly moralise through objectification. It doesn't sit right with me, and neither does the second problem - that is, the playing of some of the film for laughs. This is a film whose story focuses on a girl who is gang-raped as a teenager, moves to Tokyo and then, five years later, gets trapped in her apartment by the same rapists, who subject her to abuse and rape. Ishii doesn't always play the film for laughs, but there are parts when he does - parts like one rapist's overdone apology (because he hasn't really changed, lulz!), the scene near the end of the film involving Chihiro talking to the rapists in unusual circumstances, or the scene in which the first rapist threatens to shame her by depositing photos of her first rape in the letter slots of her neighbours' doors, which he does stark-naked. This is not a film where anything should be played for laughs, nor should it be delivering anything in a ham-fisted manner nor veering into the deep end of over-the-top madness as it does. It's a deeply unpleasant film, but not meaningfully so - its wild inconsistency in the delivery of its message is its fatal flaw, and makes it distasteful and exasperating.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 5584
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 1:07:35 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Better off Dead and One Crazy Summer are big dumb 80s comedies, but with a really subversive streak to them. So there's a chance I rate them higher because I grew up with them. Actually I think The Grifters might be top. No Jack Black to annoy in that one.

Heh, rawlinson's old, it's only natural that he's always compensating for something. He's usually compensating for his age-induced impotence through his fanning of The Devil in Miss Jones, though, so this is an interesting shift.

PA, I've told you before, calling me impotent is not going to goad me into having sex with you. I'm flattered by the attention - the chocolates, the flowers, I was a bit freaked out when you cut off your fingertip as a symbol of your devotion but I let it slide. But please, you're making yourself look bad now. There are other people out there. None as awesome as me, granted. But you have to find someone else. I'm sure there's someone lonely enough somewhere in the world to take you on. And if not, you always have your sheep.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 5585
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 1:29:22 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

PA, I've told you before, calling me impotent is not going to goad me into having sex with you. I'm flattered by the attention - the chocolates, the flowers, I was a bit freaked out when you cut off your fingertip as a symbol of your devotion but I let it slide. But please, you're making yourself look bad now. There are other people out there. None as awesome as me, granted. But you have to find someone else. I'm sure there's someone lonely enough somewhere in the world to take you on. And if not, you always have your sheep.

I've been sending you nothing, especially not fingertips - I'm not a fucking Yakuza, that's not how I roll. I think you better check the stamps on those parcels, rawls. I don't want to point fingers (with tips), but I'm just saying that you should probably expect to find a Post Office of Malta sticker on each one of them if my suspicions are correct.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5586
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 1:32:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been sending you nothing, especially not fingertips - I'm not a fucking Yakuza, that's not how I roll. I think you better check the stamps on those parcels, rawls. I don't want to point fingers (with tips), but I'm just saying that you should probably expect to find a Post Office of Malta sticker on each one of them if my suspicions are correct.

No fingertips... That's why his spelling is so bad!!!

Oh and fuck y'all, I'm a child of the 80s.  

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 5587
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 1:35:38 PM   
Piles

PA, when did I say the quote in your sig?! I vaguely remember it but can't place the context...

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5588
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 1:40:12 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

PA, when did I say the quote in your sig?! I vaguely remember it but can't place the context...

It was earlier in this thread. I think it was around the time that Epi D posted that picture of yours and Jayb's heads photoshopped onto Jake and Rose from Titanic.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 5589
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 6:09:35 PM   
Deviation

quote:

No fingertips... That's why his spelling is so bad!!!

Oh and fuck y'all, I'm a child of the 80s.  

What have I done now? Why was I put into this?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5590
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 7:03:43 PM   
Rhubarb

May for Me

1. Back to the Future
4. Planet of the Apes
12 The Seventh Seal
13 The Passion of Joan of Arc
27 Aladdin
29 Silent Running
36 Four Lions
48 Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans
49 Me And You and Everyone We Know
61 Cops
62 East is East
64 Dial M for Murder
68 Capitalism: A Love Story
69 Blazing Saddles
77 Historie(s) du Cinema
84 My Winnipeg
85 The Limits of Control
86 Iron Man II
87 An Actors Revenge
88 The Reader
97 Universal Soldier
106 One Night in Turin
108 Universal Soldier: Regeneration
118 Lebanon
121 Nowhere Boy
126 Escape from LA
129 Hot Tub Time Machine
133 Predator
136 Robin Hood
138 City of Life and Death
140 Universal Soldier The Return
154 Cop Out

Which makes the director league table look like this (Number out of brackets is the number of films seen by that director, number in brackets is the number of individual films. So if I watched Lolita twice, and Clockwork Orange Once, Stanley Kubrick would read 3 (2) )

1 Woody Allen 4 (4)
= Peter Jackson 4 (4)
3 Orson Welles 3 (3)
4 Robert Zemekis 2 (2)
= Akira Kurosawa 2 (2)
= Alfred Hitchcock 2 (2)
= John Carpenter 2 (2)
= John Hughes 2 (2)
= Sam Raimi 2 (2)
= Kevin Smith 2 (2)
= Clements and Musker 2 (2)
= Rob Marshall 2 (2)
= Tim Burton 2 (2)
= Quentin Tarantino 2 (2)
= Hayao Myasaki 2 (2)
= Mel Brooks 2 (2)
= Lars von Trier 2 (2)
= Jon Faverou 2 (2)
= Jean-Pierre Jeunet 2 (2)
20 Sam Taylor-Wood 2 (1)

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 1/6/2010 7:09:41 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5591
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 9:50:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

11. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days/4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile (1st view, 2007, Cristian Mungiu) - 4/5*
Excellent. I had no idea what to expect really, having read only one review about it and that was two years ago. Homer wrote it, back in the days when he used to post in the mini-reviews thread. Highlight of my week, that was, reading his reviews. He hasn't written one in there for over a year But the film, yeah, 'twas superb. Thought I spent most of the first hour trying to figure out where I'd seen the main woman, before remembering she was in the pretty naff The Last Enemy.

Gor bless ya Gimli, son.

You should check out my signature...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 5592
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 9:55:35 PM   
elab49

You got a letter published!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5593
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 10:12:06 PM   
swordsandsandals

Who what where?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5594
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 10:37:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Swords, if you too follow the direction i gave Gimli just a few posts up, all will become clear... 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 5595
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 10:49:57 PM   
swordsandsandals

I followed a link, but didn't see a letter or anything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5596
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 11:03:36 PM   
Ultimo Lee

MAY (28)

FIVE
Kuki Ningyo/ Air Doll Japan (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2009)
{May}

FOUR

Attack The Gas Station South Korea (Kim Sang-jin, 1999) {May}
Aoi Haru/ Blue Spring Japan (Toshiaki Toyoda, 2001) {May}
Kynodontas/ Dogtooth Greece (Giorgos Lanthimos, 2009) {May}
Iedereen beroemd!/ Everybody Famous! Belgium (Dominique Deruddere, 2000) {May}
De Grønne Slagtere/ The Green Butchers Denmark (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2003) {May}
In America UK (Jim Sheridan, 2002)
{May}
Is Anybody There? UK (John Crowley, 2008) {May}
Lalapipo Japan (Masayuki Miyano, 2009)
{May}
Last Resort UK (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2000) {May}
Looks And Smiles UK (Ken Loach, 1981) {May}
Noriko no shokutaku/ Noriko's Dinner Table Japan (Sion Sono, 2005) {May}

THREE
Ekusute/ Exte: Hair Extensions Japan (Sion Sono, 2007)
{May}
The Girl Who Played With Fire Sweden (Daniel Alfredson, 2009)
{May}
Hell Is A City UK (Val Guest, 1960) {May}
The Human Centipede (First Sequence) US (Tom Six, 2009) {May}
Yawarakai Seikatsu/ It's Only Talk Japan (Ryuichi Hiroki, 2005) {May}
Linda Linda Linda Japan (Nobuhiro Yamashita, 2005) {May}
The Man Who Knew Too Much UK (Alfred Hitchcock, 1934) {May}
Night Must Fall UK (Karel Reisz, 1964) {May}
Ima Boku Wa/ Now I Japan (Yasutomo Chikuma, 2007) {May}
[REC] 2 Spain (Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza, 2009) {May}

TWO
Alice In Wonderland US (Tim Burton, 2010) {May}
Electric Dragon 80,000 V Japan (Sogo Ishii, 2001) {May}
Hamlet 2 US (Andrew Fleming, 2008) {May}
Maboroshi no Hikari/ Maborosi Japan (Hirokazu Koreeda, 1996) {May}
Akumu Tantei/ Nightmare Detective Japan (Shinya Tsukamoto, 2006) {May}
Youth In Revolt US (Miguel Arteta, 2009) {May}

--In Alphabetical Order

** Rewatch

Best Film Of The Month (First Watches Only)
January: Joint Security Area
February: A Prophet
March:
Love Exposure
April: Brighton Rock
May: Love Doll

Worst Film Of The Month (First Watches Only)
January: Career Girls
February: Kantoku Banzai!
March:
Better Things
April: Unmade Bed
May: Youth In Revolt

Short Films (Order Of Viewing)

Shadowscan (Tinge Krishnan, 2001)
The Sandman (Paul Berry, 1991)
My Childhood (Bill Douglas, 1972)

By Country
US: 42
UK: 37
Japan: 19
France: 12
Hong Kong: 6
South Korea: 5
Ireland: 3
Denmark: 3
Belgium: 3
Germany 2
Sweden 2
1: Argentina, Australia, Greece, Israel, Italy, Norway, Poland, Peru, Romania, Spain, Uruguay

By Decade
00's: 101
90's: 20
80's: 7
70's: 4
60's: 9
50's: 3

40's: 1
30's: 1

Jan: 27 Feb: 25 Mar: 33 Apr: 33 May: 28

Post #: 5597
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 1/6/2010 11:19:39 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Stats for Mayyyyy

4/5
  1. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Guillermo del Toro, 2008, GER/USA) May *
  2. Iron Man 2 (Jon Favreau, 2010, USA) May
  3. Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010, UK/USA) Apr & May *
  4. Open Range (Kevin Costner, 2003, USA) May

3.5/5
  5. Hot Tub Time Machine (Steve Pink, 2010, USA) May

3/5
  6. The Firm (Alan Clarke, 1989, UK) May
  7. Robin Hood (Robin Hood, 2010, UK/USA) May
  8. Pretty Woman (Garry Marshall, 1990, USA) May

2.5/5
  9. Humpday (Lynn Shelton, 2009, USA) May

< Message edited by Epiphany Demon -- 1/6/2010 11:20:49 PM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 5598
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 12:00:25 AM   
Rinc

May List!

5. The Gunfighter (Henry King, 1950) - 8* May
8. My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown (Jim Sheridan, 1989) - 8* May
11. El Dorado (Howard Hawks, 1966) - 7* May
16. The Wind (Victor Sjostrom, 1928) - 7* May
19. Dodge City (Michael Curtiz, 1939) - 7* May
20. Kick Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010) - 7* May
26. The Day of the Jackal (Fred Zinnemann, 1973) - 7* May
27. Ride the High Country (Sam Peckinpah, 1962) - 7* May
30. Educating Rita (Lewis Gilbert, 1983) - 7* May
34. Winchester ‘73 (Anthony Mann, 1950) - 7* May
35. Doctor Zhivago (David Lean, 1965) - 7* May
40. Judgment at Nuremberg (Stanley Kramer, 1961) - 7* May
43. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich, 1962) - 6* May
44. Becket (Peter Glenville, 1964) - 6* May
46. Chariots of Fire (Hugh Hudson, 1981) - 6* May
49. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) - 6* May
50. A Man for all Seasons (Fred Zinnemann, 1966) - 6* May
56. The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan Jose Campanella, 2009) - 6* May
63. In Which We Serve (Noel Coward/David Lean, 1942) - 6* May
67. The Madness of King George (Nicholas Hytner, 1994) - 6* May
72. Seven Men From Now (Budd Boetticher, 1956) - 6* May
74. To Catch a Thief (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955) - 6* May
77. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) - 6* May
80. How to Train Your Dragon (Dean DeBlois/Chris Sanders, 2010) - 6* May
84. The Thief of Bagdad (Ludwig Berger/Michael Powell/Tom Whelan, 1940) - 6* May
85. Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968) - 6* May
99. The Dam Busters (Michael Anderson, 1955) - 6* May
102. Iron Man 2 (Jon Favreau, 2010) - 6* May
103. Clash of the Titans (Desmond Davis, 1981) - 6 May
108. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (Stanley Kramer, 1967) - 6* May
110. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Karel Reisz, 1960) - 6* May
115. An Actor’s Revenge (Kon Ichikawa, 1963) - 6* May
121. Odd Man Out (Carol Reed, 1947) - 6* May
123. Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles, 1965) - 5* May
124. Stargate (Roland Emmerich, 1994) - 5 May
131. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) - 5 May
134. The Servant (Joseph Losey, 1963) - 5* May
135. Alfie (Lewis Gilbert, 1966) - 5* May
140. Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994) - 5 May
147. Lonely are the Brave (David Miller, 1962) - 5* May
153. Giant (George Stevens, 1956) - 4* May
154. Little Big Man (Arthur Penn, 1970) - 4* May

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 5599
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 3:02:04 AM   
Deviation

quote:

May List!

I mean it, from the bottom of my heart, that you suck.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5600
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 5:22:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I followed a link, but didn't see a letter or anything.

You need to read the comments!

Good stuff Homer. This will provide me with ample reviews from Empire forumites who don't post the reviews on Empire now that CoC has gone the way of the dodo.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go back to mini-reviews I miss those marks out of 10 for acting, sound look etc,

Much more better!

Post #: 5601
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 8:41:29 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

May List!

I mean it, from the bottom of my heart, that you suck.

I always really liked Stargate but a watching it again I realised how terrible some of the dialogue is and how it isn't much fun when it really should be. And that's the second time I've watched Brazil and I still don't get what all the fuss is about.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5602
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 8:57:54 AM   
elab49

*sniff* An Actor's Revenge *sniff*

So would you say that's a good placing from you for Secret in Their Eyes, Rinc?

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5603
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 9:00:54 AM   
Rinc

I did like An Actor's Revenge and yes that's a high 6 for The Secret in Their Eyes so a good placing indeed. Did you like it?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5604
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 9:08:29 AM   
elab49

My film of the month for Feb. I get very disappointed with reviews that just think of it as a mystery story though - the whole nature of crime and punishment thing, and the idea of what happens when you can't forget the past are so pertinent in context to Argentina. I was very very impressed by it and made it my Oscar pick (over Prophet) before the ceremony.

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5605
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 9:55:03 AM   
Piles

Again, I still have about six more to post but, to save the eventual (and probably inevitable) wall of text, I'm posting what I do have now...

16. Rome, Open City (1945, Roberto Rossellini, Italy)
Reviewed in full in my Italian cinema thread, click here for linkage. 5/5.

22. Dr Strangelove (1964, Stanley Kubrick, USA)
Kubrick's only real whack at comedy comes in the form of this cold war satire, where a several nuclear bombs are accidentally fired towards Russia by the USA. It's the fault of the bonkers General Jack D Ripper (Sterling Hayden), who believes that the Russians are trying to gain superiority by infiltrating American fluids. This all amounts to one big farce, with the President (Peter Sellers, in one of three roles) and his peers – including General Buck Turgidson (George C Scott) – desperately trying to recall the lose bombs whilst Ripper barricades himself within his office to keep from doing so. "Dr Strangelove” is a wonderfully funny, witty, and incisive film that makes such a farce of such a serious situation (whilst it was going on, mind you) that you can't help but wonder how these two 'super powers' backed themselves into this corner. From great visual humour to superb one liners to witty banter, "Dr Strangelove” has it all in the comedy department. There's also pitch perfect performances. The obvious one is Sellers, who – in three completely different and distinct roles as the President, the mastermind behind the nuclear scheme Dr Strangelove, and an English officer on an exchange program Captain Mandrake – excels. He's the master of creating comic personas, and he creates three of his very best here, perfecting their tics and traits to make them wholly distinct. But there's two other slightly underrated, brilliant performances from George C Scott and Sterling Hayden, who portray the military as a bit juvenile and, really, a bit stupid. Kubrick's direction is wonderful, and his witty and intelligent script perfectly puts across his brave point. Spielberg once said that "there are problems with the writing, there are problems with the acting, but the direction is perfect”. He's wrong. Everything about this film is perfect. 5/5.

35. Naked (1993, Mike Leigh, UK)
"Naked” is the story of protagonist Johnny (David Thewlis), who leaves London for Manchester to avoid a beating from the family of a girl he raped. Whilst there, he meets an ex-girlfriend, has sex with her flatmate, becomes homeless, and rants at people. More a series of interlinked segments than a film with one overarching narrative, "Naked” is more of a character study than anything else. Thewlis' Johnny is an uncompromisingly savage beast, one so self-loathing and alienated from the rest of society that he is forced to shout at it from the sidelines. Thewlis' cynical portrayal of the man is wonderful, making us both hate him and sympathize with him simultaneously, which is quite difficult to do considering how much of an arsehole he is. Many of the things he says and does are difficult to stomach, and Leigh's uncompromising direction makes it more than a little bit of a hard watch, but it's also a rewarding one. The commentary on urban alienation is certainly worthwhile, but at two hours long it's difficult to stay the cause simply because the vast majority of characters are so unlikeable and contrary. Indeed, Brian the security guard (Peter Wight) is the only 'normal' character here who is presented in anything but a harsh light, but these are the kind of people that Leigh is attacking (the London bourgeois, highlighted more by Greg Crutwell's Jeremy but present in almost every single character) in the first place. The uncompromising savageness of the film may be difficult to stomach, but it's also the film's crowning success in that it doesn't let filmic conventions (after all, there are no good guys and bad guys) get in the way of its point. Also look out for some fantastic supporting performances, primarily from Katrin Cartlidge, Greg Cruttwell, and Peter Wight, who all excel beneath the vast shadow of David Thewlis. 5/5.

80. Strike (1925, Sergei M Eisenstein, Russia)
It's Russia during the Czarist rule, and the workers are planning a strike thanks to their restlessness. The strike wears on and the bosses reject demands that include raises and better working conditions, with the leaders finally deciding to break the strike by any means necessary, including bringing in external agents. "Strike” is to be respected for, and to be condemned for, its propaganda message. Obviously, it was a very successful pro-communism film back in the 1920s, and Eisenstein's status as the king of Russian propaganda films isn't without basis. However, the message delivered in the film is really quite broad, obvious, and sometimes quite patronising. It may have done wonders back in 1925, but here and now it feels a little heavy handed. If its message isn't quite as effective as it was nearly a century ago, though, the images and the use of montage certainly are. Eisenstein's film is part communist propaganda and part Avant-garde, using innovative montage and experimental filming techniques to break cinematic boundaries repeatedly. It seems, at times, like Eistenstein is creating his own cinematic rules, many of which are still in place today. The performances tend to blur into one and the segments can sometimes seem a little repetitive, but just for Eisenstein's fantastic camera work and innovative filming techniques, "Strike” remains a must-see from the silent era and right up there with the Russian director's more acclaimed masterpiece "Battleship Potemkin” as one of the most visually commanding films of the 1920s. 4/5.

108. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988, Pedro Almodovar, Spain)
Carmen Maura plays Pepa, a TV and/or commercial actress who has been dating the mysterious Ivan (Fernando Guillen) for an unspecified amount of time. However, Ivan is leaving her for a feminist (Kiti Manver), and so Pepa is pushed to the verge of a nervous breakdown. Throw in a couple who are more closely linked to Pepa than at first thought (played by Rossy de Palma and Antonio Banderas) and a close friend who has got herself involved with some Shiite terrorists (Maria Barranco), and what you have is a Wilder-esque farce that is as much a comedy as it is a drama. When it works, the film really works, bringing ridiculous comedy into the middle of this otherwise melodramatic movie in a very droll and dark way. Successes include the running joke surrounding the sleeping pills, which results in one of the most hilarious Mexican stand-offs ever put on film. However, it's also wildly inconsistent, and Almodovar fails to reach the gag rate that his apparent heroes and influences (Wilder, Lubitsch, Sturges, Capra, etc) would easily surpass. Half of the jokes (including Barranco's suicide attempt… the 'Mambo' taxi…) fall flat on their face, and although things move on at a fair pace and we often forget about the failures, it's impossible to ignore the inconsistency here. The most interesting moment, in fact, is not the comedy, but a throwaway incident in the opening moments of the film, where one of Pepa's colleagues is dubbing Nicholas Ray's "Johnny Guitar”. Not only is it a nice nod to the cine-literate audience, but also a sly foreshadowing of the love for strong female leads that would take over Almodovar's career in the subsequent two decades. 3/5.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5606
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 10:58:24 AM   
drews

May's movies - all movies first time viewings unless stated.

Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010) 4/5
Book of Eli, The (Albert Hughes, Allen Hughes, 2010) 3/5
Nightmare on Elm Street, A (Samuel Bayer, 2010) 2/5
No Country for Old Men (Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, 2007) 5/5 - 2nd Viewing
Up in the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009) 4/5 - 2nd Viewing
Did You Hear About the Morgans? (Marc Lawrence, 2009) 2/5
From Paris with Love (Pierre Morel, 2010) 3/5
Zombieland (Ruben Fleischer, 2009) 4/5 - 2nd Viewing
Shawshank Redemption, The (Frank Darabont, 1994) 5/5 - Multiple Viewings
State of Play (Kevin Macdonald, 2009) 4/5 - 2nd Viewing

< Message edited by drews -- 2/6/2010 10:59:24 AM >

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 5607
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 11:22:20 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Special Bulletin 5/5

Stands the test of time and is one of those great films that deserves a much bigger audience.

Missed this first time round - complete ditto on that. And still only on video I think? Or, at least, I've never been able to upgrade mine.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5608
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 3:03:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

123. Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles, 1965) - 5* May
134. The Servant (Joseph Losey, 1963) - 5* May

Score the same as

quote:

140. Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994) - 5 May

I really think I'm going to weep here.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5609
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 2/6/2010 3:15:47 PM   
paul_ie86

75. The Official Film of the 2006 FIFA World Cup (Michael Apted, 2006)

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5610
Page:   <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI