Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  163 164 [165] 166 167   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/5/2010 2:46:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

The Bounty Hunter 2/5

He's good looking and is a former cop turned movie title.  She's good looking and is an - a what? It's Jennifer Aniston though - investigative journalist.  And she jumps bail so he has to bring her in.  Little hilarity and zero spark between the lead couple follows.  I've seen more detailed reviews about why its naff, I think they are thinking too much, its just naff. 

Distrubia 3/5

Fearing this to be a teen knock off of Rear Window I'd refused to watch the film.  It is a teen knock off of Rear Window, but its not half bad either.  You can't help thinking that in better hands the tension would have been up another notch, but its okay.

Shutter Island 3/5

Beautifully made.  imo Leonardo's best acting since Gilbert Grape.  But oddly silly and you just want it to end way before it is finally pushed out of the room like that friend you love to have round, but realise they get really boring after a couple of hours and it'd be nice if they left.  Kind of like an anti-Shawshank.  There's a slim chance this might be a grower as I do find its concept quite exciting.  Its not Memento, but carries the same blackness that could take it far if about 15 minutes were chopped out of the film, mostly at the end.  Its exposition is meant to be painfully heart rending, its not, its just painfully drawn out.

Special Bulletin 5/5

Stands the test of time and is one of those great films that deserves a much bigger audience.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 14/5/2010 2:51:59 PM >

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4921
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/5/2010 3:13:30 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)
Michael Haneke reminds me of one of those aggravating university lecturers, one who is so opposed to spoon-feeding his students that they just end up getting pissed off with him and study for another question instead. I almost feel like asking 'Will this be on the exam, sir?' Here we have beautiful and clear B&W photography depicting ugly and obscure events, some of which are compelling, some of which are rather dull, all of which are open to interpretation. In the end up, it feels like a worthy subject, but if Haneke doesn't make an effort to make the material accessible, then he can't expect people to make the effort to study it. I'll take my chances that it doesn't come up in the exam (4/10)

I found Funny Games, The Piano Teacher, Seventh Continent and Fragments of a Chronology of Chance quite easy to understand.

And criticizing a film for not being accessible? Lame man, laaaaammmmeeee. I expected better from you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4922
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/5/2010 3:34:38 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)
Michael Haneke reminds me of one of those aggravating university lecturers, one who is so opposed to spoon-feeding his students that they just end up getting pissed off with him and study for another question instead. I almost feel like asking 'Will this be on the exam, sir?' Here we have beautiful and clear B&W photography depicting ugly and obscure events, some of which are compelling, some of which are rather dull, all of which are open to interpretation. In the end up, it feels like a worthy subject, but if Haneke doesn't make an effort to make the material accessible, then he can't expect people to make the effort to study it. I'll take my chances that it doesn't come up in the exam (4/10)

I found Funny Games, The Piano Teacher, Seventh Continent and Fragments of a Chronology of Chance quite easy to understand.

And criticizing a film for not being accessible? Lame man, laaaaammmmeeee. I expected better from you.

You have expectations of me? That's.......worrying.

The other Haneke films I have seen have been easier to 'access' for want of a better word, or at least they all presented a clearer central conceit, even if they made you work a bit. The White Ribbon just seemed to tip over into territory so deliberately vague and ambiguous as to be almost useless as any kind of starting point or mediation on 'the origin of every kind of terrorism' as Haneke himself suggested it is. As a result, I have no urge at all to explore further the themes he seems to be presenting (which I did have with Hidden, for example)

< Message edited by MOTH -- 14/5/2010 3:35:11 PM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4923
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/5/2010 3:49:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

You have expectations of me? That's.......worrying.

quote:

at least they all presented a clearer central conceit, even if they made you work a bit.

Fair enough with the first part, the second part makes you look lazy though.

quote:

The White Ribbon just seemed to tip over into territory so deliberately vague and ambiguous as to be almost useless as any kind of starting point or mediation on 'the origin of every kind of terrorism' as Haneke himself suggested it is.

It did seem to give me that idea in the trailer. Anyways, did you watch Le Mepris? I have to win over rick_7 you know.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4924
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 14/5/2010 4:15:10 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Fair enough with the first part, the second part makes you look lazy though.

I did a team-building profiling thing for work once. It demonstrated that my first reaction to being presented by any kind of work/problem is to say 'Do i need to do this?' followed by 'How can I get out of it' and if i'm really cornered 'How can i do it with the least effort'. The instructor said that made me a smart and efficient worker, but i think we both knew she meant I'm a lazy fecker.

No movement on Le Mepris, I watched 4 films in the past week which pretty much quadrupled my normal quota, so i'll probably have to rest now. After all, I am lazy. Er, I mean, smart.

< Message edited by MOTH -- 14/5/2010 4:16:07 PM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4925
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/5/2010 1:51:35 AM   
swordsandsandals

Watched Hot Rod again, because it's awesome. The good news is I think I laughed even more this time round. One of the funniest films I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. And I mean this in an I actually hurt myself laughing kind of way, as opposed to I appreciate the humour on show here kind of way. If you know what I mean.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4926
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/5/2010 1:48:02 PM   
paul_ie86

My Wrongs 8245-8249 and 117 (Chris Morris, 2002) Watch here

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 15/5/2010 1:59:13 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4927
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/5/2010 11:18:13 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

THE HOF UPDATE

Short reviews, and out of order to make it more annoying for those with a penchant for tactical voting Will follow up with the other films I saw since the last update...

62. An American Werewolf in London (1981, Landis)
Not much to say - some really suspenseful sequences (moors, subway), great score from Bernstein, great acting (including naked Jenny Agutter in her prime), great humour, both dark and not so much and a great ending. 8

80. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955, J. Sturges
A mixed bag. Tracy is superb and badass in that one scene. Marvin, Borgnine, Ryan are all badass as well. The paranoia is handled too obviously though, and I say that as someone who just loved The Thing, and it could have used some extra running time to add another layer. Still, great cinematography, interesting (though intrusive) score, and as just mentioned, a great cast. 7

42. Dancer in the Dark (2000, von Trier)
I was prepared to hate this due to my general dislike for needlessly depressing films. It is indeed depressing, but this is far from needless. I understand the problems people have with this film, but I thought Bjork was fantastic, the song sequences (particularly "I've Seen it All") incredibl(y refreshing)e, the frantic cinematography extremely effective, the supporting performances perfect and while I doubt it will become a favourite of mine, this was more than a worthwhile experience. 8

95. My Winnipeg (2007, Maddin)
Interesting and boring at the same time if this makes any sense. Stretches the form into something above my head, I'd say. Despite the irony present, the film was just too convoluted for me to enjoy.7

55. Jui kuen [Drunken Master] (1978, Yuen)
Fun stuff. I've seen close to no Kung Fu films, so they haven't had the chance to go stale for me yet. It takes a while to get going, but the fights get increasingly awesome, and the hilarity is mixed with some light treatment of themes such as men's feminine side and family loyalty. It's also really pro-alcohol so maybe it should have been made during the prohibition instead The villain has an amazing moustache, and the film even manages to have a decent fart joke (even the piece of comedic genius that is Blazing Saddles doesn't pull that off). Nice. 8

77. Limelight (1952, Chaplin)
The lead actress is pretty but awful. Chaplin is great though, my first sound film of his and it works just as well. Him and Keaton in a film together = <3, but the film doesn't work overall, ranging from cynicism to heavy sentiment but not bringing it off as well as the other 3 Chaplin films I've seen. Another thing I didn't like was that the sardine and the fleas were genuinely unfunny, so the response to those is a bit like the response to the film. The ending is amazing though. 8

63. Campanadas a medianoche [Chimes at Midnight] (1965, Welles)
My 5th Welles, and all of these films were clearly done by a genius. However, just because a genius directed a film, doesn't make it a work of genius. I think there's a helluva lot to admire about Chimes - the cast/performances are staggering, the period is evoked in a fun and yet believable way, and the battle is fantastic. However, I feel like I lacked the knowledge of the plays to fully appreciate it, and I found the dialogues hard to follow at times. 8

65. Yukinojo nege [An Actor’s Revenge] (1963, Ichikawa)
Conventional story, but unconventional everything else. The theatrical setpieces are fantastic, and the stylistic excess more than pays off. However, the thieves are underused (it's cool that the guy plays two roles, didn't realise it till the end). The other two Ichikawa films I've seen are leaner and meaner, particularly Nobi. 8

51. Mr. Arkadin [Confidential Report] (1955, Welles)
The plot is over-complicated, most actors' acting bad/odd, but this was incredible otherwise. A euro-thriller with some of the best cameos ever, plus a monumental performance by Welles. Also filmed in a rich style, which is quite different from Touch of Evil, and I actually preferred this as a piece of pure bonkers fun. 8

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 10/6/2010 6:43:34 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4928
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/5/2010 11:50:41 PM   
swordsandsandals

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 'Nuff said.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 4929
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 15/5/2010 11:54:21 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 'Nuff said.

Woohoo!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 4930
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 7:42:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Features

52. Grosse Pointe Blank (3rd view, 1997, George Armitage) - 4/5
Good fun. Could have done with more Arkin.

111. Half Light (1st view, 2006, Craig Rosenberg) - 3/5*
Despite being derivative and cliched, it was going quite well until the final third.

126. Wild Wild West (3rd view, 1999, Barry Sonnenfeld) - 3/5
A bif naff, but still manages to be enjoyable.

Shorts

6. A Symposium on Popular Songs (1962, Bill Justice)
Ludwig Von Drake, or Donald Duck's uncle as he might be better known, provides us with a potted history of 20th Century which has all been, he claims, entirely inspired and created by him. we then clips of his creations. A ragtime song performed by stop-motion vegetables, a Bing Crosby-lookalike doing some crooning, a brilliant early rock and roll song. Excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1cXmMV8eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMpgIYH_kJA

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4931
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 1:45:34 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

boring

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 16/5/2010 1:46:10 PM >

Post #: 4932
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 2:18:51 PM   
Gram123

025) The Yakuza  (Sydney Pollack, USA / Japan, 1974, Broadcast) - 6.5
Fairly decent low-key crime drama, starring Robert Mitchum, which I'm not ashamed to admit, I was drawn to watch by the title....
The film was made by Warner US, with some assistance from Toei, which is probably why the treatment of Japanese culture was (surprisingly) well done.

041) Day Watch  (Timur Bekmambetov, Russia, 2006, Broadcast) - 4.5
I couldn't really remember much about Night Watch, so the plot of this sequel was fairly confusing. However, it's not just my bad memory contributing to that medicore rating - other dodgy aspects inlcuded the film's tone, particularly the occasional comedic bits that felt misplaced, some of the special effects, the mess of a plot and some under-explained or under-explored mythology.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4933
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 2:21:21 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

boring

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated how personal it was and all, but it kinda lost me anyway... The GIF is once again better than the film
BTW, glad to see you finally realised how wrong you are, and requested a title change...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4934
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 2:29:03 PM   
rawlinson

You mean the M.R. James theme, cool ain't it? PA's recent makeover is distressing though...

Post #: 4935
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 2:56:30 PM   
Deviation

So I have seen Threads, and it was excellent, showing the destruction and decay of society after a nuclear holocaust. The dispassionate documentary tone, the build up, the representation of the post-nuclear holocaust England the landscape, the unforgiving nature of the film and the lack of sentimentality make quite shocking, and it deserves extra points for not even toning down its misery in the final seconds. It is a fantastic thought experiment, and it works as a great spit in the face for those who suggest that there is no such thing as society. The film can also be seen to represent Jackson's career, whose career seemed to have suffered a nuclear holocaust (The Bodyguard and Volcano), became simplified and dumber and never recovered back. 5/5

My Wrongs 825-8249 and 117 is a good short film (by Chris Morris) starring an unrecognizable Considine being controlled by his dog. It doesn't always work, and its a bit hit and miss, but it is mostly a creative conceit one well. 3/5

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4936
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 3:29:02 PM   
matty_b

Threads is astonishing and by far the scariest thing I've ever seen. Not scary in 'Boo!' or 'that was creepy/disturbing', but proper, proper horror at how society collapses and how quickly all our humanity and everything we take for granted can just crumble. Brilliantly directed - I'd love to know the budget, because the whole thing looks fantastic - and an ending that goes beyond bleak.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4937
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 3:37:43 PM   
elab49

I was never quite as impressed as the afternath in Threads. The before bit - the speed of the buildup (and on first transmission what we had on the news was the Middle East and tanks and Russian involvement and it scared the crap out of me that I got the public information leaflets, some of which ended up in the superior When the Wind Blows) is excellent. The other terrifying bit it that it was perfectly clear - 2 decades after the War Game which was finally shown the next year, the organisation, what there could be, hadn't changed a jot.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4938
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 3:39:58 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
Brilliantly directed - I'd love to know the budget, because the whole thing looks fantastic - and an ending that goes beyond bleak.

I imagine it was a modest TV budget, but it looked perfectly made and not a penny was wasted.

Can't say its the scariest film I've ever seen (Come and See and Salo hold that honor), but it certainly wasn't a pleasant ride. And I am amazed on how well thought and developed the hole thing was.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4939
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 3:55:06 PM   
rawlinson

All this talk of Threads and nobody mentions the astonishing performance of Anne Sellors?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4940
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 4:01:35 PM   
Deviation

Pervert. 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4941
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 4:03:08 PM   
rawlinson

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4942
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 4:37:33 PM   
matty_b

I think the text constantly rattling across the screen updating us on the information really helps sell the horror of the situation - I didn't sleep right for a couple of nights afterwards.

SPOILERS SPOILERS

It's only slightly lessened by the fact that the main guy has recently been Joe on Coronation Street. But how brilliant is it when he is wiped out halfway through off-screen and it takes you a while to realise it?*

* In Threads, obviously, not Corrie.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 16/5/2010 4:47:15 PM >

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4943
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 4:42:58 PM   
FritzlFan

Spoiler!

quote:

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4944
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 4:48:36 PM   
matty_b

Oops, apologies.

Sorted.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 4945
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 6:31:40 PM   
matty_b

The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow)

My first viewing since my initial cinema viewing and it still holds up as a gripping, nerve jangling account of being in the front line in Iraq. The sub-plot of James going hunting after Bekim (Beckham?), the kid selling pirate DVDs on the military base, is still pretty awkward, but it remains a superior American war film. See my top 50 of the decade for a more in-depth review. (9/10)

< Message edited by matty_b -- 16/5/2010 6:35:16 PM >

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4946
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 10:31:41 PM   
FritzlFan

23. My Winnipeg (Guy Maddin, 2007) - 4.5/5

Great stuff - shame the sound was about a second ahead of the images.

quote:

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4947
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 10:56:04 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

My first viewing since my initial cinema viewing and it still holds up as a gripping, nerve jangling account of being in the front line in Iraq. The sub-plot of James going hunting after Bekim (Beckham?), the kid selling pirate DVDs on the military base, is still pretty awkward, but it remains a superior American war film. See my top 50 of the decade for a more in-depth review. (9/10)

Totally agree about that segment searching for the kid. Very garbled.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4948
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 11:18:39 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Totally agree about that segment searching for the kid. Very garbled.

Just watched this this evening too.  Maybe going after the kid was just another scene to emphasise James' addiction to the 'drug' of war, rather than him actually being concerned about avenging Beckham's death. Isn't it just showing that James is willing to make up personal crusades to satisfy his war lust?  It did take a while to get past the routine scenes of defusing various bombs at the start, it just seemed to repeat itself for the first 40 mins or so.  It felt like the 'defusing a bomb' scenario was being milked a little too much.

< Message edited by chris_scott01 -- 16/5/2010 11:20:15 PM >

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 4949
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 - 16/5/2010 11:24:00 PM   
elab49

quote:

. The sub-plot of James going hunting after Bekim (Beckham?), the kid selling pirate DVDs on the military base, is still pretty awkward,

But it is the standard man at war being humanised cliche - bonding with a local boy. Which just demonstrates IMO that the film is little more than the same old same old with different set-pieces. Of that ilk, I quite like Stargate

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4950
Page:   <<   < prev  163 164 [165] 166 167   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2010 Page: <<   < prev  163 164 [165] 166 167   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI